Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ghp3flghp3fl Member Posts: 3
    MazdaDuck,

Thinking about buying a CX-9 with S plan pricing in Tampa in late June. Would appreciate any steer you can provide. Almost bought a CX-9 in 2007, but leased an Expedition instead. Was very impressed with Wesley Chapel Mazda, but the one on Florida in Tampa was full of jerks. Where did you get your deal? Also, do you miss not having navi? I know we must have leather, but the rest is neither here or there. Many thanks!
  • mazdaduckmazdaduck Member Posts: 40
    Hey GHP, Check out Ferman Mazda in Brandon but make sure you shop around to other dealers. I do not miss having Navi at all. For me, it is a $2,300 map, and not worth the extra cost. Others I am sure would swear by it so to each their own. If you want Navi, go buy a $200 GPS or have your wife scream out directions for you which seems to work for me. I would highly recommend the Touring with Moonroof/Bose. You will like the leather and the rear back-up camera which is a great safety feature. Of course, you get the upgraded Bose stereo as well. Good luck with your deal, make sure you get 0% financing which might be ending soon. MD.
    Thanks! You're right about the $200 option. I've read that the bigger tires in the grand touring give you a rougher ride. Sport is out-gots to have leather. I'm still thinking about buying a CPO vehicle like a CX9 or a Murano. Trying to keep the debt down. LOL on the wife screaming. -Greg
  • mason73mason73 Member Posts: 4
    I am getting this price in Cincinnati OH, for CX-9 Touring FWD+backup camera with in mirror display+roof rails+all weather floor mats. For 29500+ (1915+100+35 TAX+DOC FEES+title) for a total of 31599 out of door price. I am also getting 0% financing for 60 months. Can I do better? thanks
  • n_s_subra1n_s_subra1 Member Posts: 2
    closed the deal at 33,000 before taxes. out f door came to 35300.
  • nyckiboynyckiboy Member Posts: 11
    NICE! Funny how ours ended up having the same OTD price (NJ). --- Although I'm still trying to get some money back because they charged me a different tax rate. (7.35% instead of 7%)..
  • iahawkiahawk Member Posts: 9
    Any speculation as to what the new May incentives will be that get announced on the 4th? I am hearing the incentives will be more heavily geared towards leasing but have not heard any specifics.
  • 9honda89honda8 Member Posts: 20
    iahawk
    Have no isea BUT in April they first announced the continuation of 0%
    several day later more incentives were announced. So... I would wait a few
    days into the month (past 5/4) to buy.
    Sorry that should read No Idea!
  • iahawkiahawk Member Posts: 9
    what incentives did Mazda have in April other than 0%? I just recently started looking at CX-9's so I hadn't been paying much attention.
    Incentives for April included a $1,000.00 Manufacturer to Dealer package, and
    a $500.00 loyalty rebate for curent owners of Mazda. All are due to expire at midnight tonight.
  • bthesselbthessel Member Posts: 13
    Which dealer did you get that at? It sounds like a great price to me. I was at Kings Mazda last week and test drove pretty much that exact same package except it was an AWD.
  • zoom3rzoom3r Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    Just bought a 2010 CX9 GT AWD, included almost every option available + the ipod integration module, but went with moonroof versus the rear entertainment system. Sticker was $40950, I paid $36095 + TTL. This is in western burbs of Chicago. I took the 0.0% financing rather than the rebate.
  • melusa1melusa1 Member Posts: 7
    ghp3fl,

You might want to look at Ed Morse Mazda in Port Richey. I bought from Ferman Brandon in 2008 and just bought again 2 weeks ago. Ed Morse smoked Ferman on price, trade in value, and overall buying experience. Sales Manager is Nathan DeFreitas, a good guy. We drove from Apollo Beach and the 70 miles was well worth the trip for what we saved. Just like Mazdaduck said buy GPS at Best Buy for $200 not from Mazda for $2500. Hope this helps you!!
  • mason73mason73 Member Posts: 4
    bthesse

I ended up buying at Ox***r mazda in Louisville, as Kings mazda located the vehicle for me but couldn't bring it.

I bought CX-9 touring silver FWD+backup camera for 29100 (31100 OTD, sticker price was 32000) plus I also got 0% financing.

thanks
    Thanks Melusa1, I feel empowered. Just got my Ford Z plan pin# from my Dad yesterday. I will let y'all know how it goes. Still also toying with the idea of getting a certified preowned vehicle...
  • csriram45csriram45 Member Posts: 56
    Can you use the Ford Z Plan for Mazda? I thought for Mazda only accepted S-Plan.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Just like Mazdaduck said buy GPS at Best Buy for $200 not from Mazda for $2500.

Excellent advice! DON'T BUY THE MAZDA NAVI SYSTEM! It is the worst GPS system I have ever used. My 2009 GT came with the GT Assist package that included the GPS. What a waste of $2500! The system is not user-friendly, gives poor guidance, and we rarely use it. On trips, I grab the Garmin Nuvi out of my car so that I know we'll have good maps when we're in unfamiliar territory. Around town, we just ignore the damn thing.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2010
    No need to exaggerate.
    The NV3 package costs $1600 MSRP, not $2500.
    I am not saying it is cheap, but putting 50% extra on does not make your point better.

The maps that came with older CX9s are from 2006. They are old. Buy a new map from MazdaNavigation.com ($199) and call MazdaUSA to get refund for the money if you own a 2009 or later models but with a 2006.v2 map on it.

I agree. It is expensive. Point taken. I think we all agree on that. :mad:
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I am not saying it is cheap, but putting 50% extra on does not make your point better

No exaggeration: in 2009 models, navi only came as part of GT Assist Package which cost $2500 and included navi, rear view camera, and power hatch. In 2010, they split up the package and made them separate options. I wanted the hatch and rear view.

I appreciate the advice on the maps but my DVDs say 2009 on the label.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Thanks Melusa1, I feel empowered. Just got my Ford Z plan pin# from my Dad yesterday. I will let y'all know how it goes

Mazda no longer accepts Ford PIN's. You need a Mazda PIN from your father's company. If his company is not supported by Mazda, you might be out of luck.....
  • yubbie2yubbie2 Member Posts: 5
    Good morning everyone...

My wife and I are just about ready to pull the trigger on a White 2010 CX-9 Touring FWD with the Moonroof/Bose package and the Power liftgate package. We're going to use the S-Plan pricing, but wanted to make sure we were really getting a legit deal. Here's one of the sets of numbers we've received:

MSRP: 34,574
    Invoice: 32,163
    S-Plan: 31,163

Obviously $1k below invoice is nice, but do you think we could do better by negotiating like normal?

We'll also be taking advantage of the 0.0% financing, so I don't know if that will influence the price at all

Thanks!

-Jesse
    Recently purchased a Mazda CX 9 and I realized the tax was off - was charged 7.33% instead of 7% (NJ).

Called the dealership about it and was given the run-around - VIN window etching charge, blah.. you name it but it just didn't add up...

Finally I got a call today from them telling me it was a "luxury tax" since my car was under 19mpg... but it still didn't add up because I did my research and it said it was an additional 0.4%.. and not 0.33%... bottomline is they said I was in fact undercharged for tax...

So.. should I even push this further with the dept of taxation or was I really somewhat "undercharged" for tax?
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    if they are just going to "transfer" what they take off in taxes and put them into "fees" and you don't save anything, why bother? in fact, if you deduct your sales tax on your income tax return, you may actually want to "maximize" what gets charged as tax. FWIW, i bought in NJ and was charged 7% even.
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    edited May 2010
    I say leave it alone and call it a day...if they contact you about coming in and paying the amount of money that was under charged, give them the same run around they gave you and perhaps the bird as well.
  • krt3krt3 Member Posts: 5
    Just leased an AWD GT and when I went into the dealership, one of the add-on packages that they really pushed was a wheel insurance package that would provide roadside assistance and repair/replace damaged tires and cracked rims at no additional charge (beyond the $10/month charge for the package). The dealer said that since the GT comes with 20" rims and performance tires that the chance of cracking a rim was much higher than in other cars. While I do recognize that replacing a 20" rim and performance tire would be expensive, cracking or otherwise damaging a rim (outside of the cosmetic scuff on the rim that might show up if you get to close to a curb) is not something that I was aware of happening very frequently. I ended up declining the coverage and was curious whether this kind of coverage was actually worthwhile or simply a way for the company to make a few extra bucks. Thoughts?
    $10/month for 60 months (assuming you're financing for 60 months) equals out to $600~

My question is, how many times does this insurance cover you? Once in the life of the 60 month term, once a year, or unlimited times?

Consider this...I just picked up a brand new set (4) of OEM Mazda 20" alloys with tires that were rolled only 300 miles for $800 shipped to my work.
  • vancouver83vancouver83 Member Posts: 30
    Just curious, can you please share more on your lease - monthly payments, money factor, etc.

Thanks
    just curious... where did you purchase your OEM 20s?
  • alamadeelalamadeel Member Posts: 6
    Hey guys, need a quick input here. This dealer in Austin is offering me CX-9 Sport (w power driver seats) for the sale MSRP of $26,875. The original MSRP was $28,875.

The problem is, if I go for 0% 60 months option, the dealer is insisting on adding $1000 to the sale MSRP ($26,875 + $1000 = $27,875 (MSRSP)). Is this price too high? I am not willing to pay anything more than $26, 875 MSRP.

It is just a standard sport model (no moonroof, no bose, no power lift package)
  • jotter1111jotter1111 Member Posts: 3
    Edmunds TMV price says that others are paying about $27,109, which is about 700 off of invoice. I have been offered from $500 to $1,000 off of invoice w/ the 0%. Check out other listings, as others are finding the same. So, keep checking. Seems like the dealers in Austin aren't budging much. Might be worth it to check other cities -- Houston or Dallas? Good luck!
  • wethertonwetherton Member Posts: 6
    To Mason73, I am in Goshen and was at Oxmoor Mazda today. Who did you deal with, I am looking at the same car with same options. How much neg. to you have to do for the deal?. thanks
  • alamadeelalamadeel Member Posts: 6
    Thanks jotter1111. So if I can get it down to $26,875, do you think it is a good deal?

I checked pricing in Houston, but MSRP there seems even higher. I may need to research more.
    Does anyone else have trouble getting quotes from dealers? I went through the Edmunds site and sent quote requests to 5 dealers after selecting the exact CX9 with options that I want. Not a single dealer would give me a straight price via email. All of them wanted me to come in for a test drive first or would only give me MSRP, one told me a price for a GT and then sent me a picture of the Window sticker and it was a Touring, another gave me what sounded like a good price until I found out after about 10 emails that it was a demo car with 1600 miles on it. 2 of the 5 have not responded other than the canned email with a link to their website.
    Ok, so I finally got a quote that seems decent: CX-9 GT AWD black/black with the following features: Power open/close rear liftgate, moonroof/Bose audio, moonroof wind deflector, 6 cd changer, roof rack, carpeted floor mats. MSRP is $37,770 and your price is $33,196. That seems pretty good to me unless they try to scam me with fabric treatment or something. Thoughts?
  • vancouver83vancouver83 Member Posts: 30
    Sounds reasonable to me. Make sure you still get the 0 percent financing with it.
  • yubbie2yubbie2 Member Posts: 5
    Across the board I've been finding a $1000 difference between the 'cash' price and the '0% financing' price (financing being $1k more expensive). Any price you get over the phone/internet is almost guaranteed to be the cash price, unless you specifically ask for 0% financing.
  • chuckml97chuckml97 Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2010
    I got the same car with nav for $35,550 with 0% finance. I also had an option for cash price of $35,050. This was at SF Bay Area
  • sv2010sv2010 Member Posts: 8
    NYCKIBOY - which dealer did you go to? how much was initial offer and how much you were able to negotiate?
  • car56car56 Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2010
    I'm shopping for 2010 cx-9 touring. Here is the quote I got
    after negotiating several times with multiple dealers.

cx-9 touring FWD with bose power lift package with backup camera.

$30999 with 0% financing + 3% tax + 555 for tags, fees.

Is this reasonable price or can I do better. Is this a good time
    to buy given that 2011 model coming in 3 months or so.

I'm planning to install flip down dvd player and dealer asking $995.
    Did anyone install dvd player and could you please share model
    and price you piad.

I'm in Greensboro, NC.
  • sv2010sv2010 Member Posts: 8
    you are very close to a good price. I think if you can push more and get 200-300 dollars off and would be very attractive deal. Give dealer your out the door price over the phone and tell them you will sign today if they agree to your price.

Good Luck!
    edited May 2010
    One another thing is dealer does not have exact interior color we want. he needs to get it from some other town. He wanted me to sign the papers first then he will have
    vehicle here in couple of hours. I'm not comfortable signing papers without actually
    seeing the vehicle I'm buying.

Is this normal procedure?
    No, it is not.
    Dealers trade vehicles all the times.
    When I bought mine, the dealer got the vehicle from another 50 miles away.
    They wanted to charge me $100 for the effort. I refused. They waived the cost eventually, but I signed the paper after seeing the vehicle on the spot, with 56 miles on the odometer, which was to be expected.
    Don't fall for this scheme. If the dealership is not willing to just get the vehicle for you without any signing or deposits. Tell them you want to know where the vehicle is because you are going to go to that dealership to buy it from them. I guarantee you that they will have that vehicle you want that same day there for you because they don't want to loose the sell to the other dealership. ;)
  • homer78749homer78749 Member Posts: 4
    Offer on Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring (roof rails, Bose/Sirius, window tint) for $32,300. How am I doing?
    Are you taking 0% finance offer? Then it's very attractive deal. With financing I got
    33,300 for same vehicle.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Don't fall for this scheme. If the dealership is not willing to just get the vehicle for you without any signing or deposits. Tell them you want to know where the vehicle is because you are going to go to that dealership to buy it from them

It's not a scam. Why would a dealer buy a $30,000 + vehicle from another dealer if there is no deal in place? That makes no sense! That is a bad business practice. Without a commitment from a buyer, there is no deal, hence no reason to get a car for someone. I would never agree to such a term from a buyer.

I would never tell a customer where the car is located. If a customer is going to threaten me with that, I will tell them they can spend their time and money locating and driving to where that car is and then start the negotiation process all over again.

I have never been a fan of threats. Dealers and customers should avoid them all together. Why people choose to play games is besides me. If you play games, you stand a chance to lose. Winners never play games....
  • homer78749homer78749 Member Posts: 4
    They told me it was available.
    edited May 2010
    MazdaUSA.com provides inventory search of all dealers.
    It may be off by a couple days, but it suffices in most cases.

Actually, it was me who told my local dealer that the CX9 combo I wanted was at another dealership 50 miles away. They checked computer to confirmed it and wanted $100 for their effort to get it. I said, "No. I could go there myself and save $100." I love driving. 50-mile drive is a joy ride to me.

Davicho never called it a "scam". He said a "scheme".
    There is some differences.

Dealers trade among themselves all the times. If my local dealer wants my business, they should take the risk of me not buying it eventually for some reason or else. Taking risk is part of doing any business. :)
    Exactly aviboy...don't forget I also work for a dealership!

You cannot tell me that there is a loss for doing a dealer trade. First off, most new vehicles are on consigment (I don't know about your dealership...you guys may be high rollers and own every car in your lot). So trading a vehicle among dealerships and not selling the unit afterall is nothing more then a loss for paying for the porter to go pick up the unit and gasing it up. If the interested buyer backs out of the deal, I guarantee you will sell the unit to another customer.

A few years back I wanted a particular Nissan Frontier and Future Nissan in Roseville, CA found it for me at Concord Nissan which was about ~100 miles away...guess what I never put a cent down or signed anything until the next day when they called me to let me know it was there.

So it is a "scheme"!