Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• islandtractorislandtractor Member Posts: 14
    2010 CX9 GT AWD with Nav, Bose/moonroof, power rear hatch, roof rack, cargo mat, wheel locks:
    MSRP $39815
    Sale price 36000 plus 299 admin fee so basically 36300.
    transfered plates and registry fees added $100 more.
    12 year old trade in SUV with issues covered tax.

Added "platinum" Fidelity 7yr/100,000 mile/$100 deductible extended warranty for $2072 "employee price".

Rolled it all into 0%/60 month loan.

Efficient low pressure dealer. Free first oil change. Might have worked on them to cut the dealer admin fee but was happy to get rid of the old car before anything else broke and move on that day. I had communicated via email and had the basic price established before arriving. Prices quoted by several other local dealers were in the same ballpark. Should be able to get these 2010 CX9s for about 10% off MSRP with 0% financing/60 months these days.
  • digbig43digbig43 Member Posts: 4
    msrp 37,500-ish. Getting internet quote of 34,000 w/ the 0% apr incentive. Is this in line with the good deals out there?
  • carbuyincarbuyin Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    I have an offer from a dealer for an OTD price (including all taxes and fees) of $29,836 for a 2010 CX-9 Touring FWD with no additional options other than what comes standard (for example, leather seats are standard). This price includes the 0% financing offer. Can I do better, or should I take this offer?

Thanks!
  • evenripeevenripe Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2010
    We are getting a Touring AWD, with splash guards and all weather floormats. We have been quoted $30,600. We didnt feel the need for all the extra stuff as they come with all we really need.Does this price seem ok?
    Based on the price for my AWD, I think you could get down at least $500 from there. I would offer that.
  • carbuyincarbuyin Member Posts: 2
    Was your price OTD, or not including Taxes, Tags, Fees, etc...?
  • hackdhackd Member Posts: 65
    It seems most of the deals being posted are below invoice...what is allowing dealers to go below invoince on the CX9 right now? Is their dealer cashback available to them?
  • zxedzxed Member Posts: 18
    If you don't take the 0% and have a Mazda already., you cage easily get 1500 below invoice. 500 loyalty and 1000 cash back.

I don't own a Mazda and want the 0%
    I'm in ca., so far the best I've gotten is 800 below invoice and am waiting for a better offer from another dealer; prob 1000 below inv

I'm getting a blue/black awd GT rear ent and nav packages.,
    After sales and DMV that's abt 650/mo
  • fantfant Member Posts: 25
    Looking at a 2010 Touring AWD (w/ Moonroof/Bose/Liftgate - btw odd that i cant get a liftgate without getting moonroof+bose?!) for $31,427 + taxes + dest + fees. Sound like a good deal?
    edited August 2010
    Is it me or this is $1.5K below invoice...are you sure this is AWD?
  • patriot_7patriot_7 Member Posts: 2
    Hmm .. I'm in central Florida and talked to a couple of dealers who were very upfront with the prices and here is what I see, in general : If you take the promotional 0% APR, they quote 4000 below sticker price (MSRP). If you arrange your own financing, you get 5000 off. In addition, there is a 500 off if you already own another mazda. Does this sound like what is happening nationwide ?

These numbers put the price close to invoice. nowhere near 1000 or 1500 off. None of the dealers are interested in going down any further than the about 4K / 5K formula. Thoughts / Inputs ?
  • mason73mason73 Member Posts: 4
    carbuyin,

You are geeting an excellent deal. Don't know the sales tax rate in your state, but assuming 5%, you are paying just $28000 for the car, which I believe more than $1000 below invioce, which is an excellent deal.
  • hello_manhello_man Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I am looking at 2010 Black AWD touring model with bose/moonroof + power lift gate.
    The best offer I am getting is following -

MSRP - $35797
    Invoice - $3321X.00
    =====
    Price offered - $31700 (roughly) + 0% APR.
    If i don't take 0% APR, I can get $1000 more out of the above price.

I think its pretty good price ($1500 below invoice). What you guys suggest?
  • hello_manhello_man Member Posts: 3
    Does this price including 0% APR offer or without the offer?
    Where are you located...seems like a great deal as I am in NY and having issues getting any deal below invoice.
    1. No dealer is upfront., unless the gm show you all sales recipt for vehicles sold over the past 6 monts to see what others paid.. Or you convince them you know what it talking about.
    2. Msrp what's that?.... ( I'm being sarcastic).... Always look at vehicles with invoice price.
    3. Good deal are always below invoice. Esp if u cannot take any cash rebates
    4. It's a supply-demand issue., there is just one awd., blk/blk., rear ent+nav in my 50 mile radius., and all 5 dealers want at or 500 over invoice for their trouble to trade their vehicle with the dealer who has the vehicle
    5. Since this is a 2010., and stock is low., and dealers are annoying me., I'm now thinking of pilot 2011.,
    6. Never pay above invoice unless you really, really, really want the car and not having it will make you cry., ;)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    edited August 2010
    1. No dealer is up front., unless the gm show you all sales receipt for vehicles sold over the past 6 months to see what others paid..

What does that have to do with being "up front"? No retail business ever shows sales statistics to customers. There is a thing called privacy laws that also prevent such activity.

Market conditions change. Comparing what a car sold for 6 months ago has nothing to do with today. The auto industry is a market driven industry. Always has been, always will be.

When you go to a restaurant and buy a lobster at "market price", so you ask to see what it sold for over the past 6 months?
    Previous post stated that the dealer was "upfront"... how many dealers have you spoken to who were "upfront" and what does it mean to you? My comment had to do with the subjectivity of "upfront"..
    Up front means what they are telling me is what happens. If they make a deal, they honor it and all aspects associated with the transaction are disclosed before I sign the dotted line. I have encountered honorable and dishonest people in every industry in which I have conducted business.

Like every business, there are those who are and those who are not. No different then lawyers, doctors, bankers, mortgage brokers, sales associates at Best Buy, etc. I think you get the point....
  • mazdafan4mazdafan4 Member Posts: 1
    This sounds like a great deal, may I know who is the dealer? I am lloing for a AWD GT. Thanks.
    Yes it is but when i asked for OTD price it was much higher so there are obviously fees they are not telling me about. At this point i'm trying to get the edmund TMV price of $32,070+tax+title + 0% financing. Most dealers are being very vague about OTD price. If I cant get that price (which i think is a fair price), i may just wait for the 2011 model to come out or look at another car.
    I am buying a Touring AWD with only all weather floormats and splashguards. The dealer is selling it to me for invoice price, around $30,700, PLUS a Mazda advertising assessment of $400, for a total of around $31,060. With the 1K incentive off (it is a cash deal, no financing), it is $30060. I am not sure of the advertising assessment, which the salesman says Mazda makes them, and all dealers in all markets pay the manufacturer. After VA taxes (this is in Fredericksburg, VA) this results in an OTD price of $31,350 (approx). My question is, should I buck the advertising price? The dealer says they usually sell for $500 over invoice, where they are selling to me for straight invoice + the advertising assessment. I would appreciate any advice.
  • npmommynpmommy Member Posts: 3
    was offered $32,300 for a Touring with the keyless entry, compass mirror, Bose, moonroof(which I really could care less about but it comes with the Bose) and the back up camera.

STILL can't decide between this and a Pilot. We were offered $32K for a 2011 Honda Ex-L .

I thought I liked the CX-9 because it was sportier but sometimes when I look at it I think it looks like a modernized wagon! Help!
    I think the price you are being offered in incredible, I am buying a more stripped down touring for not much less. It must be a FWD to be offered at this price. Still a good price though. I personally like the Cx-9 for its looks and handling. I like also that there are so few on the road, I hardly ever see any, and it is nice not to meet "your car" on the road. If I were you, I would google "pilot vs CX-9". I just did this, and learned alot in a short period. The one I just looked at favored the CX-9. Good luck!
  • buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    Do not agree to pay the advertising fee or whatever they are calling it. Also $500 above invoice, I believe is not the best that dealers can do. Aviboy97 can weigh in on this.
    Do not agree to pay the advertising fee or whatever they are calling it. Also $500 above invoice, I believe is not the best that dealers can do. Aviboy97 can weigh in on this.

I think I will weigh in on this!

To start, the regional assessment charged to the car is an actual charge by Mazda to the vehicle. In the DC market, it probably reads "DC Assessment". I'm in the New York market, and my invoices read "New York Assessment". Unfortunately, it is not dealer profit for all dealers were charged this fee by Mazda.

If you go to Edmunds price section, you will see a blue link called "advertising fee's" and it gives a description of why Edmunds does not track them and how they are actually legit charges by the manufacturer.

All manufacturers have advertising charges, except many of them choose not to itemize it on the invoice. Mazda does itemize it, and it's tough to explain to customers, but, it is real.

In regards to $500 over invoice, I cannot speak for the available inventory in the DC market. Prices are always subject to supply vs demand. In my neck of the woods, CX-9's have been purchased for less.

I hope this helps!!
    Although the "no haggle" dealer usually sells for $500 over invoice, due to us being given an incorrect price the 1st time we went in, we are buying the car for straight invoice + DC assessment fee. So this is not an over invoice deal. I have been looking at the market in the Richmond and DC areas over the last year, and inventory has been tight. So is the invoice price deal ok?
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    "In regards to $500 over invoice, I cannot speak for the available inventory in the DC market. Prices are always subject to supply vs demand. In my neck of the woods, CX-9's have been purchased for less."

Aviboy, your so diplomatic. Why not say what the normal types of deals you guys give on CX-9?? How is that going to hurt you? It is just for reference, let the dealership he is dealing with worry about supply and demand. I also work for a dealership in the parts department and I will divulge the true "list" price of the parts if someone needs it for reference.
  • mferreira1mferreira1 Member Posts: 3
    You guys will like this. 5 days of research, and pitted 3 dealers against each other. I am picking up a 2010 AWD Red CX-9, Nav and Moon-roof with roof racks....$34,500. AND I got the 0% financing. I think I could have still gotten another $300, but this dealer is close and I trust their service guys (bought another one from them). Yes, this is under Dealer cost.

This is pretty much what the used ones are selling for.
    Opps, forgot it is GrandTouring too.
    just saw that you stated you bought another one from them? so your price includes a $500 loyalty break... ?

$35k for AWD, moon/bose + nav is something i would have taken if the dealer i went to didnt try and do a bait/switch... now my wife is liking the pilot.....
    I went ahead and bought the new 2010 AWD Touring with all weather floor mats and splash guards for an OTD price of $30,748 (including taxes and everything). This includes 1K off as I am borrowing balance on my home equity ($11 K), which is tax deductible and only currently 3.5%. We drove it home last night and my whole family is crazy about it. We like the dolphin grey...you cant tell if it is greenish or bluish, but the ride home was SWEET!
  • dbesettdbesett Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at the CX9 FWD Touring with power liftgate and moonroof/Bose package which includes keyless ignition and back up camera plus some dealer extras which I'm sure are the same everywhere; added tint, protectant coat, 3M door guards, whatever. We have negotiated to $31,350 + ttl at the Mazda 0% financing. Do you think this is the best possible deal I'll get?
    Is asking for about $1000 under invoice + destination (basically edmunds TMV) + tax and title a reasonable offer for a 2010 CX9 AWD with moonroof/liftgate/bose with 0% financing? I mean its a 2010 model so the price should reflect a 1 year depreciation value on it no? When the 2010 models first came out, were they going for at or near invoice? Just trying to see how much the 2011 models will go for. Dont want to overpay for last years model now.
    davicho-

I have sold them recently for $1,500 over invoice and as low as $500 below invoice. I tend not to give my opinion on what a good price is, because it's considered dealer bias. Too many in here like to chime in and bash me.
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    @ aviboy97,

I am not bashing you brother, afterall we are in the same business. The answer you just provided is the perfect information that I was referring to, give these guys a fair in between figure based on your personal experiences. What ever they choose to do and whatever the dealer they are dealing with chooses to do is entirely up to them. Hey, if anyone is close to you or willing to drive to you for a good deal you proposed, you just made a sale!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    The Dolphin Grey is a very nice color...did you get the Black or Sand interior?
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    edited August 2010
    We got the sand interior. Primarily because summers in VA can be brutal, and the black would be so much hotter. We just filled up the ist half tank (the dealer had it full when we picked it up, and we drove 200 miles since yesterday), and got 21 mpg, which made me happy. I have been worried it would be worse. As we live in the country, and have only 3 traffic lights in our county, we will be driving little in the way of city miles. We love the way the car drives, and are super happy! The dolphin gray is really pretty. At times it looks greenish...at times it looks bluish....we have the only Cx-9 in the area, and while they are Acadias everythere, it is nice to be different, and to have such a quality auto.
    What ever they choose to do and whatever the dealer they are dealing with chooses to do is entirely up to them

I say that all the time! It's the customers opinion of whether they are getting a good deal or not. Who cares what I think a good deal is, I'm not the one buying!
    edited August 2010
    $35k + tax/reg with 0% apr., for your config is the best ive seen posted for someone who doesnt already own a mazda.,

taking what aviboy97 stated., if you feel that what you are getting is a good enough deal and the dealer is good., go for it.,
    I closed a deal today for $1K under invoice on a Touring AWD w/moonroof/liftgate/bose so I would think your offer is fine. 0% financing and I am not currently a mazda owner so no extra discount.
    What was your total OTD as i'm looking for the same exact config. And what State are you in?
    NY....OTD was $35,091
    Can you let me know which dealer in NY? I'd luv to get the same deal.
    I got the 34.5K with roof racks and about 400 worth of other stuff, you just need to call a dealer and tell them you have the costco deal. Costco starts you off at $400 below invoice. So if you are not getting below invoice, you are not getting a good deal. After that I went back and forth and got it below dealer cost. They called my deal the looser because they lost so much money. anything I asked for the sales guy threw in because at that point it was a sale to him. I got wheel locks, mud flaps and that rear gate guard thing for free on top of the roof racks.
    Was deciding between the CX9 and Pilot for the last week and finally went with the CX9. I had a Honda dealer send me great pricing but refuse to be show anything OTD. I finally advised them I had bought a car and I was no longer looking for a car. I received a backhanded congrats with a comment they could have beaten the deal. I replied back it would have been tough to beat a CX9 deal since they are a Honda dealer.

I actually got a reply back they could have gotten me a better deal on the Mazda as they "know people"....I think some of these dealers actually start believeing their own BS.

By the way both great cars but financing on the CX9 and interior quality just won me over.
    Not sure if you were actually talking to me....got my deal at Wantagh Mazda in Long Island. Negotiated using emails and took a 5 minute trip to the dealership to sign the contract...no gimmicks and BS...great experience.
    Darn i wished you told me earlier. I picked up a cx9 awd touring with moonroof/liftgate package in dolphin gray / sand from a dealer in LI for about 35.9k OTD with the 0% financing this past weekend. Lowest I could find was about 35.6k and that dealer didnt have this color combination in stock. Not the best price but it was hard to find that color combination and the 0% saves me a crapload anyway.
    If it makes you feel any better they did not have the dolphin color with the features you wanted...just black, white, and red.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I've been looking for a CX9 Grand Touring FWD (with Bose/Moonroof, Power Tailgate, Navigation & Tow Prep Pkg) in Dolphin Gray with Sand interior in the L.A. area. The Mazda website shows 11 in Dolphin Gray with those options within 100 miles of L.A. But of those 11, only 2 have Sand interior...it's a tough combination to find, but it looks fantastic!

I'm shopping for my cousin who lives in L.A. and a light-colored interior is a requirement for her. She also doesn't wants a lighter exterior color, which rules out Stormy Blue, Black, Copper Red. Silver only comes with Black interior, so it's off the list. That only leaves two choices- Crystal White Pearl (CWP) or Dolphin Gray. We may have to go with the CWP if I can't get as good of a deal on a Dolphin Gray one. There are 21 Crystal White Pearl CX9 Grand Touring FWD models within 100 miles of L.A. I think it's a safe bet that I can negotiate a better deal on one out of 21 (CWP) rather than one out of only two (Dolphin Gray).

She's fine with CWP, but she's been driving a 2007 Lexus GX470 in the same color for the last three years (they call it Blizzard Pearl). Then again, I'm just glad that she likes the CX-9 quite a bit more than her 3-year old Lexus AND she even prefers it over a brand new Lexus GX460 that we test drove! That says a LOT about the CX-9! Now I want one....
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT