Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• joelovescarsjoelovescars Member Posts: 7
    I am looking at a certified preowned CX-9 in the Harrisburg market. It is a GT AWD with Moonroof and liftgate options. No NAV or Rear Entertainment. MSRP 38725. Mileage 7000. Dealer offering 31250. I want 29000. Is my offer reasonable? It also seems you are better off with a certified preowned due to better warranty. What am I missing?
  • Hugo_StiglitzHugo_Stiglitz Member Posts: 167
    Well that might be OK for a 2012 but not a 2009. What year? LOL
    Got a deal on the 2012 cx9 GT without NAV and rear ent 6000 miles for $30730. Says it is 500 over their cost, Thoughts
    Over their cost for a used car? Creative. Very creative.
    They say the dealer purchases from Mazda USA. Most likely an exec of some sort who drove it,
  • jenjones515jenjones515 Member Posts: 2
    I have read a few pages of this thread and I'm seeing a lot of different numbers on what the "cost" of the 0% APR is. I've been getting some quotes today and most of them are saying it is $2000! Most of the quotes I am getting back for the 2012 Touring AWD with moonroof and power liftgate are between $30,545 and $32,730, but this is without the 0% APR.
    I am purchasing a 2012 CX9 GT tomorrow. I currently have a storage basket that I use for my Honda Pilot that uses a 2" class 3 hitch. The dealer told me not to install the 2" class 3 hitch because if I ever have a problem with my transmission, they may say that I pulled a heavy trailer and abused the trans. Anyone else heard this?
    I was quoted $100 to install mud flaps on CX9. Has anyone else did the install themselves? I can't believe it is that hard.
  • jenjones515jenjones515 Member Posts: 2
    It's always a little daunting to drive a few hours to buy a car. There's a certain level of implied commitment before the deal is solidified that can make a person uneasy. I had two comparable deals lined up within 45 minutes of one another in case anything fishy went down with the transaction after I arrived, but I'm happy to say that everything went smoothly (and quickly... I was out in 90 minutes). I got my Touring AWD with an MSRP of $37,082 for $31,011 without the 0% financing. I did the math and it worked in my favor to go with a 1.99% and save the additional $2000. I really appreciated that I ended up getting $250 more on my trade once they saw it than what I had been estimated from afar. I couldn't be happier with my new vehicle. Thanks, Fitzgerald!
  • steve439steve439 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know the October incentives yet? Are they going to enhance them to make room for the 2013?
  • proraven2proraven2 Member Posts: 4
    Just curious if anyone knows the October incentives for the CX-9. I live in Baltimore and I'm planning on buying or leasing this week. For a 2012 model,is taking $5000 off of MSRP fair? Thanks!
    Have you seen the previews of the 2013. Nice exterior. For last year, end of year discounts were around 6500 from MSRP
    Or it's a lemon that came back, or my momma has a nice big bridge to sell. When do you believe what they say? When their lips stop moving.
  • carmom7carmom7 Member Posts: 3
    If you haven't already, check out FitzMall in Annapolis. You can go to their website and they give you nohaggle pricing. We found it was a great price when we bought a CX9 earlier this year. Ask for Joe Frantum.
    Wow that Fitzmall seems to have the right idea, wish I was closer. What about misc fees, doc fees and other such nonsense?
  • sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122
    Worked a deal on a 2012 Grand Touring AWD in the New Orleans area with Pearl Paint, Bose and Power Lift Gate; I wanted more off but this was the most I could get - I was hoping for some other hidden incentives but I could not find any. The AWD is not very common in this area so there were not as many around. I put a deposit and will be financing with my credit union for 1.99%. The car was manufactured 10/11 and had been sitting in the dealer showroom for quite a long time; new vehicle.

The deal was as follows:
    MSRP: 38435
    Negotiated Price: 32491 (invoice - $3,000 incentive - hold back)
    Tax at 9%: 2924.19
    TL: 126.50
    OTD: 35541.69

No other fees, No trade

We also considered the Subaru Tribeca, Honda Pilot, and Infiniti JX (to see how the new Pathfinder would kind of ride/look). The features, ride, and feel of the CX-9 just felt superior to all of them - including the $46,700 Infiniti JX.
  • mrchetmrchet Member Posts: 8
    Pretty much the same car: AWD, Dolphin Gray, Bose/MoonRoof, Liftgate, 6 disc, Roof Rack, Touring Models

Local Dealer $31700 (+ wheel locks)

Metro Dealer 3.5 hours away $31500 (+ dealer specific lifetime powertrain warranty)

The added warranty is not a big deal since I doubt we'll keep the car longer than 5-6 years. I think the deals are ok. I may ask the local guy to throw in all weather mats and the cargo mat and see if it flies. We don't have tax in my state.

Currently in a 2006 Subaru Tribeca that is just a little space limited. The AWD works great but the car is going on 101K. Trying to sell the Subaru locally as the trade offers aren't looking too hot. Looking to do the 1.49% 5 year PenFed loan on top of whatever we get for the Tribeca as the down.

Prices were $2000 higher with the 0.0% 60 month incentive as previously posted.

Not sure if I should wait it out till Nov/Dec when the 2013s actually start showing up...
    mrchet

Are you referring to the Touring model for the deal or Grand Touring? If this is Grand Touring I would think you are getting a great deal. I could not get under the price I posted.

I like the Grand Touring better because of the Xenon Headlights, Fog lights, Memory Seats, and Blind Spot Monitoring.
    Touring Models

I'm happy with the Touring. Our Tribeca was the Limited Trim with Nav and DVD. 7 years later we have a horrible Nav and the kids prefer their iPods/tablets for movies anyway.

I'm also looking down the road and looking to save a bit by not needing 20" tires and Xenon bulbs. Wife and I are nearly identical in stature so we don't move the seats in our cars around. Blind spot monitoring would be great but I think we can do w/o.
    Xenon bulbs cost less than Halogens. Haven't needed to replace mine since 2001 in my RX.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Xenon bulbs are vastly more expensive. But, they do last significantly longer.
    Bah, well I lost that gamble. Looks like November incentives are a few hundred bucks less than October. Oh well, maybe I will wait till December :)
    Mrchet

I actually think they have improved significantly. The same car on fitzmall's site is almost 2,000 less this month. So if you look back at the deal I got on Oct 20; I think you should be able to get at least 1,500 more off my deal. I am curious when the official incentive numbers start floating around.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Don't fret. The real numbers won't be up on Edmunds for about a week. There's always a lag when the incentives change over.
    Thanks All for the encouragement.

I do see the new FitzMall prices.

I would prefer to keep the purchase local but they just don't seem as motivated as the big city guys. Of course, the smaller dealer may not have the same clout with Mazda USA.
    You are right who knows how much back end incentives some dealers have compared to others especially when it comes to volume incentives. I would say if you are happy with your local dealer and they will give it to you for invoice-incentives (3,500 now)-hold back (1%) you have done very well. You can always get a better deal elsewhere, but sometimes it is just not worth the extra 500-1,000 you might save travelling.
    edited November 2012
    We bought the car yesterday. I got offers for two cars at the dealer 3 hours away:

31,249 (Touring, AWD, Moon Roof and Bose, Power Liftgate) + ~$400 DMV (not tax)
    33,000 (Grand Touring AWD, Moon Roof and Bose, Power Liftgate, 6 Disc so NO Nav)

Went to our local guy. He said he could likely match the Touring price or come real close. At the time we were thinking $1500 more for all the Grand Touring features like blind spot monitoring, alarm, xenon, fog lights, slightly nicer wood trim might just be worth it spread out over 6-7 years. Unfortunately, the local dealer did not have a Grand Touring in stock w/o Nav. I really didn't want the Nav system for $1600 since I think our phones do just fine for that function.

We bit the bullet and settled on a Grand Touring similarly equipped as the $33K model but with the Nav. We basically got the same deal you did but had to pay for the Nav. So, in summary:

OTD Drive Off $34345 includes DMV, no tax in Oregon
    2012 AWd Grand Touring Dolphin Grey w/Black interior
    Bose
    Moonroof
    Roof Rails
    Liftgate
    Navigation

~$5900 under MSRP

I was going to do the PenFed 1.49% to get the $2000 but it was Sunday so we would of had to wait on getting the car till at least Mon/Tue. Dealer asked if they could try to get us financing (I assume they get some sort of referral if they sell financing as well). Ended up getting 1.74% through Chase (Mazda lender) for 60 months. We will likely pay it off early so I thing the quarter pt difference is negligible. It saved us the hassle of getting an external loan and dealing with the title being sent elsewhere.

I tried really hard to squeeze a few hundred more out of these guys. I asked for the all weather mats or cargo tray and it was a no go. In the end they threw in the roof rails (to be ordered and installed). Dealer gives first oil change for free so that's a tiny rebate too I guess.

I'm sure if the car was around another month we could have done better but I was tired of looking and I didn't feel like driving or flying 500 miles roundtrip to save a few hundred bucks. I'm also ok with the nav. After reading the manuals I realized that it had more features than I was aware of with the voice command recognition.

Good luck to everyone! And, thanks for all the help and input! It was really useful!
    Glad for you! I am glad to hear that you got the Grand Touring. I tell you my wife really likes the blind spot monitoring. I think you get so many extras in the grand touring for not that much of an additional cost. We love ours. In the long run many times it is best to give the local guy the business. Our dealer also gave us a free first oil change. Might be a Mazda dealer thing. I normally do the maintenance on our vehicles, but I will take them up on the free oil change. I also heard the oil filter is torqued down a lot from the factory so I will let them deal with the first one. We are at 1100 miles already. Awesome vehicle! Can't believe more people don't purchase the CX9 over other offerings.

Hope to see you over at mazdas247.com. Seem to have a decent but not very active forum on the CX9.
    Yup! I need to create an account over there on 247. I was just researching the all weather mat options yesterday before getting the Weathertech Digital Liners and 2/3rd rows mat. I went with the OEM cargo tray for the 3rd row compatibility.

You are right about buying from the local guy. I figure the good will will come in handy if I have warranty issues. We tend to take our cars to the dealer while under warranty. I service my Mini Cooper and old Landcruiser myself though.

Safe and happy miles to you!
  • hondalicioushondalicious Member Posts: 12
    Hi All,

I've been quoted a lease deal on a White Mica Pearl/Tan interior CX-9 Grand Touring AWD with Moonroof/Bose, Power Liftgate, and Navigation, for $436/month for 48 months, 10K miles per year, and a 16,850 residual.

Good deal?
  • safesuvsafesuv Member Posts: 6
    thank you if you can share your purchase information of buying a CX-9 recently in salt lake city.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I'm helping my mom shop for a new vehicle and she really likes the CX-9. We've discussed the differences and look at countless photos online debating between the Touring and Grand Touring models. The Touring is a little cheaper, but the Grand Touring wheels and trim are definitely worth the extra cash!

Of course, leave it to my mom to pick out one of the hardest find to color combinations- Dolphin Gray with Sand interior. The majority of the Dolphin Gray ones I've found have Black interior, but I have found three within a 250-mile radius of Atlanta that have the Sand Leather! As a backup, she will (begrudgingly) take one in Crystal White Pearl, which comes with Sand interior only.

Here are the two best offers that I've received-

2012 CX-9 Grand Touring
    Crystal White Pearl/Sand Leather
    NO Options- MSRP- $34,730
    Selling Price- $29,230 (includes $500 Loyalty rebate for my Mazda3).

2012 CX-9 Grand Touring
    Dolphin Gray/Sand Leather
    Bose/Moonroof Package
    Power Liftgate
    Cargo Net
    Wheel Locks
    MSRP- $37,290
    Selling Price- $30,400 (after $500 Mazda Loyalty incentive)

So it's only $1170 more to get the one in her preferred color AND with the Moonroof/Bose Package and Power Liftgate. The resale value alone makes that a no-brainer.

Does the $30,400 quote ($6,810 off MSRP) look like a good deal? I'm planning to offer them $30k flat, but we'll pay $30,400 since we know it's the only one in that color combo left around here (and it's three hours away)!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    This is sort of an addendum to my previous posting, but I have found another 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring FWD, Crystal White Pearl w/ Sand Leather and NO Options (a 'base' GT as another dealer called it). The base sticker price is $33,395 instead of $33,735 (which is the current price, effective 03/01/2012). So the logical inference is that they received this particular vehicle prior to 03/01/2012, correct? If so, they've had it on the lot for at least eight months and I'm hoping that they will jump on an opportunity to get rid of it.

I'm planning to send an email offering $29,000 plus sales tax, tag and title fee. I just have one question for anyone who can answer it- I realize that the standard 6-speaker Audio System won't be a powerhouse, but is the sound quality decent? My mom is hardly an audiophile, so I'm hoping it will be adequate. If it can play James Taylor and Anne Murray at reasonable volume, that's good enough....although I know it doesn't have an 8-track, so she'll be disappointed! =)

Secretly, I'm still rooting for the $30,400 deal for a Dolphin Gray Grand Touring with Sand Leather, Bose/Moonroof and Power Liftgate! She says she doesn't care about those features now, but I know the Bose stereo and Power Liftgate would win her over very quickly......
    On the 30,400 one I think it is a very good deal. If you look at it, invoice is right around 35,000 deduct the 4,000 (3,500 incentives + 500 mazda loyalty) you are at 31,000. They are clearly giving you the hold back and some of anything else. You might also want to compare your prices to the fitzmall prices, they had a huge discount this month compared to last although the incentives only increased by $500. That might mean there is more out there. However, the 30,400 seems like a solid deal.

The other deal with the MSRP 34,730 seems to be a little high. They seem like they are wanting about $400 over invoice on that deal minus incentives. I think there is at least another $750-850 left on that deal.

I purchased my Grand Touring AWD with an MSRP of $38,435 for $32,490 on Oct 20. You should at least get another grand off of my deal due to the $500 increase in incentives and $500 owner loyalty, if not more.
    My 2012 that we purchased in october had a build date of 10/11. It had the old pricing. You might be able to get a better deal since it has been sitting on their lot, but remember they are also paying to have it sit on the lot. Does the grand touring without the Bose have the backup camera?

I would say if you can get invoice-$4,000 incentives (including loyalty)-1% holdback you are doing very well. Anything under, you are definitely pulling out of any other incentives they might have on the CX-9 that is not readily available and might be dependent on the dealership you are dealing with. Some might be hitting other incentives while others are not. That is why the best deal now will always be beat the next day.

I don't know about the 6 speaker sound, but I would assume it would be pretty decent.
  • jillskyjillsky Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2012
    Is that a good deal? :confuse: sales price 34,490. MRSP 41,490. 2012 Pearl White automatic, AWD. All other fees - doc, license, title etc come in at $450.
    I also got quotes from all the local dealers, as well as Costco Fleet manager and Internet. The Costco salesperson said they'd match it but agreed I got a good price. ( they were initially 1k more )

This car has everything, fully loaded top of the line. It also has the cargo roof rack (valued at $250). I'm in the Bay Area. Thanks :)
    Price looks good to me. Invoice is around 38,800. Looks like they are pulling off the 3,500 incentives along with hold back and about another $400. If your deal includes the $500 owner loyalty then I think you are doing very well. If it does not include owner loyalty then I think you are doing even better.
  • samny1samny1 Member Posts: 125
    Has anyone heard anything about a release date for the 2013 Cx-9? I can't seem to get a straight answer from the dealership. I assume there will be good deals to be had on the 2012 model around that time.

Stephen
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    I'd say pretty shortly here. The pricing was already set in October 22nd and it was made public on Mazda's website on Nov 12th...

Mazda Website
  • hukhukhukhuk Member Posts: 6
    What dealership did you get the offer from? I am also in the Bay Area. And there is no advantage to buy a car from Costco even with the price match?
  • jillskyjillsky Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2012
    No advantages using Costco, at least for my experience. You might have better luck with your local rep.
    I ended buying from Oaktree mazda. In the end I got a better deal than Costco . Oaktree offered a lot more for my trade in, gave me 1st free oil change (which I asked for, they don't normally give those away) and roof rack was already installed on my car.

The Costco rep works at the Mazda Captiol store. I also tried haggling with the sales people at Capitol too. One of the sales reps actually hung up on me :P while I was trying to negotiate price down lol.

Can't say enough good things about salesperson I dealt with from Oaktree. I had a slight issue post sale that came up and was shocked at the great customer service he provided.
    I have made quite a few car purchases in my life and he was definitely the best.
  • samny1samny1 Member Posts: 125
    Thanks davicho, the link is really helpful as I've been driving myself crazy trying to find the info on their site.

I guess same engine = same MPG so unless you are interested in the design changes the 2012 will be a better deal as dealers try to unload them.

Stephen
  • hukhukhukhuk Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, jillsky. I will surely visit Oaktree Mazda soon. Could you share the slight issue you experienced here? Or do you mind PMing you to ask the dealer's name?
  • bha626bha626 Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to share my recent purchase info. Picked up a 2012 CX-9 last night; Grand Touring, black/black, with navigation, moon roof/Bose, power liftgate, roof rack and towing prep package. Total MSRP of $39,200. Excluding all of the extra fees, negotiated a purchase price of $32,499. Was also able to combine with the current 0% for 60 months financing. It took some haggling, and walking out of the dealership once, but we got exactly what we wanted.
  • bha626bha626 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like a reasonable price to me. See if you can get them to combine with the 0% financing. The dealer will say that they can't, but the third dealer I worked with made it happen. Here's the deal that I got yesterday:

Grand Touring, black/black, with navigation, moon roof/Bose, power liftgate, roof rack and towing prep package. Total MSRP of $39,200. Excluding all of the extra fees, negotiated a purchase price of $32,499.
    I took my mom to test drive a CX-9 tonight and I was very pleased with the deal we worked out. I'm going back with my dad tomorrow to seal the deal. (My parents have never owned anything not made by GM, Ford or Chrysler, hence the extra "hand-holding" from me).

Here's the specifics on the car and numbers (in the Atlanta, GA area)-

2012 CX-9 Grand Touring FWD
    Crystal White Pearl w/ Sand Leather
    Moonroof/Bose Package
    Power Liftgate
    MSRP- $37,385

Selling Price- $29,207 (incl. $500 Mazda Owner Loyalty)
    Documentation Fee- $499
    Tag & Title - $66
    Sales Tax- $1363 (6%)

$29,706 plus Tax, Tag & Title
    $31,135 OTD

They're also offering $7500 in trade-in for mom's '07 Explorer with 136k miles on it, which was at the higher end of what I expected. It also reduces sales tax by $450, so it's actually $7950. My parents are paying cash, so after the trade-in they'll be writing a check for $23,635.

The dealer has an additional $1000 incentive if they were financing, but even without that bonus, it looks like a great deal to me.

Any thoughts or anything I'm missing??? =) Thanks.
  • sveerepallisveerepalli Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I bought a 2012 CX-9 Touring from a dealer in San Diego yesterday. During the discussions on options and pricing over email and over phone, I indicated that I was interested in the burglar alarm (Alarm system with shock sensor) option, along with the moonroof package and the power liftgate package. He indicated that we could discuss the alarm option when at the dealership after we locate the car with the other two options.

We agreed on the price for the car without the alarm option included. So, when I went into the dealership yesterday and asked for the alarm option to be included (this is listed as a dealer available accessory in their 2012 brochure, edmunds, kbb and many other web sites), he and the finance person insisted that that was not an offered option and that edmunds and other sites were reporting false information. They were offering a different burglar alarm system that was three times more expensive than the option offered by mazda ($200 versus six hundred something).

I bought the car yesterday, and would still like to install this option. I have a mail thread with the dealer providing links to edmunds and other websites that list this option. They still claim that these link are providing false information. Any opinions on how I can get them to install this option at the MSRP indicated by mazda?
    Here's a link to Mazda's own 2012 Accessories Catalog- scroll down to PERIMETER ALARM SYSTEM-

http://accessories.mazdausa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalo- gId=10001&storeId=24601&categoryId=14875&parent_category_rn=&yearSelected=2012&m- odelSelected=vc254

It is Part #- 0000-8F-N03

The retail price is $180.95 (plus installation, which may cost more than the alarm!)

It is for vehicles WITHOUT the Smart Keyless. If your 2012 Touring has the Power Liftgate, it also has the Smart Key and this alarm is incompatible. If you don't have the Power Liftgate option, this is exactly what you're looking for.
    Update on the deal I got for my Mom-

2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring FWD
    Crystal White Pearl with Sand Leather
    Moonroof/Bose/Power Liftgate

$29,706 plus sales tax
    $31,135 OTD (total from my last posting on 11/20/2012)

We went back and bought the car yesterday! We added the Roof Rack Side Rails (for looks, no cross rails), Front and Rear Splash Guards, Cargo Tray (folds up with 3rd row seat backs, very cool) and Cargo Net. I negotiated 25% off retail for the accessories and they wanted $70 to install the Roof Rack and around $110 for the Splash Guards. I offered to pay $100 to install EVERYTHING (including cargo tray and net) and they did it! The total including installation was $560.42.

So technically, she paid $31,695.42 out-the-door minus $7,500 for the trade- she wrote the check for $24,195.42!!!

My mom is 57 and has never had a car payment in her life…makes me sick! =)

My impressions of the car so far- I can’t believe how well this thing handles! I have a 2006 Mazda3 and the CX-9 handles better than mine ever did! It is amazingly quiet and the Bose audio system is absolutely amazing and worth every cent that the Bose/Moonroof package costs. I’m also very impressed with the acceleration considering the size and weight of the vehicle. The FWD versions can haul @ss- 0-60 in 7.1 seconds according to one review.

I wholeheartedly recommend taking a serious look at the Mazda CX-9 to anyone in the market for an SUV, Crossover (CUV) or Wagon. Most dealers in my area (Atlanta) are discounting them $7000+ up front, with room to haggle another $1000+ if you’re willing to play the game…

ZOOM ZOOM!