Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rose01rose01 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for good deal to trade in my 2009 awd cx9 sport 38,000 miles to buy new 2012 sport. I bought my 2009 for $33,000 total w tax + interest and have $9,000 left on loan. What kind of deal should i get? Dealer is offering same monthly payment for 5 more years for same car but a 2012 w/ trade in. That would be $418 a month for the next 5 years with my 2009 trade in. i currently have less than 2 years left w/ current loan of $418 a month. I do love the car but not sure if this is a good deal? Your thoughts?
  • sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122
    This does NOT seem like a good deal at all! A few things we really need to know are as follows:

1.) How much are they allowing for your trade-in (You can post on the real-world trade values of the edmunds forum and qbrozen can give you a realistic trade in value - Edmunds, Blackbook, and KBB are running from about 14,500-17,000 for your current car which means you should definitely have a good amount of equity)?
    2.) Are you purchasing another 2012 awd sport which has an MSRP of around $33,000? If so, you should be getting at minimum $6,350-6,550 off of that truck since you are a current Mazda owner (Invoice-$4,000 incentive-holdback). Others are getting even more off so there might be another $1,000 in another incentive that we are not easily aware of.
    3.) What is your tax rate and dmv fees in your state? Are you taxed on the difference between the trade and the new vehicle.
    4.) What is the interest rate you are being quoted for your 5 year loan? Credit unions are running 1.49-1.99% on 5 year loans at this time.

Also, never deal in monthly payments if you have not answered the questions to #'s 1-4 before making the deal. If you are able to answer the questions above, we should be able to give you a better idea on the deal.
  • rose01rose01 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for getting back - i live in NY & car would be purchased in NJ. So they said $418 a month for everything (60 payments/five years) for same cx9 i have but the new 2012 & i would trade in my 2009 cx9. Dealer only dealt w/ monthly payment $ - live and learn. Also, my cx9 is in excellent shape w/ $38,000 miles. Sounding more like not such a great deal. Thanks & let me know what kind of offer I should be looking for with my trade in and purchasing a 2012 cx9 sport awd.
  • steve439steve439 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know the CX-9 incentives for December?
  • samny1samny1 Member Posts: 125
    Hi All,

I received an email from Mazda corporate yesterday with details of a lease deal for a 2013 CX-9 Grand Touring. I have called 3 dealerships in the Westchester, NY lower Connecticut area and none of them have them in. Has anyone seen a 2013 model at a dealership or been told that dealers have them? Has anyone seen one in the NY or Philadelphia area? Mazda Corporate could give me no leads.

Thanks,

Stephen
  • ktoutktout Member Posts: 1
    Our local dealer in Montgomery County, PA, said the 2013's were on a ship in the middle of the ocean and should be at the dealer around the last week in December. They are heavily discounting the 2012's now.
    Do you know what the incentives on the 2012s are? I cannot seem to find them since November's expired.
  • ericftericft Member Posts: 2
    I am in the process of buying a cx-9 and have one at a dealer that is a 2010 AWD Touring white/charcoal with Bose/power lift gate/ rear camera with 23k miles going for $24,700 before tax and registration. In addition, I am negotiating with another dealer for a new 2012 silver/black leather AWD touring with Bose/lift gate and backup camera( same specs as the used) for $28,800 also before tax. I am hoping to bring the 2012 price down to at least 28k. Any thought as to whether the newer more expensive one is the better option long term regarding value and resale?? Or just go with the used one which is in great shape? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to make a decision by Monday dec24th.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    If the price difference ends up being only $4k, then I'd take the new 2012 over the 2010. The new car warranty, fresh tires and higher resale value easily offset the $4k differential.
  • safesuvsafesuv Member Posts: 6
    I am trying to buy a CX-9 as well.

Today, when I tested drive the car (GT) on a uphill road, I smell something like burning plastics. I stopped the car and find the smell came from the front hood :confuse: . I repeated the uphill test for another two times. I did not smell anything during the last test. The salesperson told me the smell came from some spray on the engine, which protects the engine. It will go away after I put hundred miles on it. Did anyone notice such smell when driving a new CX-9.

BTW, which trim offer more comfort driving, touring or grand touring? Is the only real difference between touring and grand touring is wheel size? :confuse:

Will update my purchase price for 2012 model.
    Yes, it is fairly common for a new car to have that smell. My CX-9 had it and the smell went away in a week or so.
    Thanks, vinnyny!
  • 6sup6sup Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    Just purchase a 2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD with roof rails, all weather mats for $32,491+tax & license. I narrow my choices down between the CX-9 AWD Touring or a Highlander AWD SE, decided to go with the CX-9 because of several of reasons, the outside/inside of the CX-9 are a lot more high quality & luxurious than the Highlander SE, the ride feels much quieter and smoother for me than the Highlander. I'm happy so far I went with the CX-9, I be back with a update after 3k.

MSRP Price is $34,865
    The price I paid is with a $500 cash rebate from dealer.
    Also, I'm in the Seattle area. Hope this is helpful!
  • dogdoc1997dogdoc1997 Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2012
    I just negotiated a 2012 AWD GT for $6500 off;IN ATLANTA! It was for a buddy of mine back in Michigan. BUt when I went to drive it to the trucker for pick up the dash lights went out???? When the headlights areon the dash is off and vice versa;warranty already! doc
  • sbaleasbalea Member Posts: 5
    When you turn on the headlights, the dash goes into "night mode", which is a dimmer backlight. There's a knob that controls the backlight intensity on the upper left side of the dash. Maybe you have yours all the way down. You can also push on the knob to turn night mode on and off.
    Does anyone know if I am better off purchasing a 2012 CX-9 this week or waiting until January when Mazda may come out with additional incentives to make room for 2013s?
  • sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122
    I don't think it really matters at this point. On a 40K+ CX9 you can get between 8-9K off. You most probably can get close to 7-7500K off of a 35K MSRP one. You might be able to get a little more off in Jan or Feb, but expect the inventory to start reducing.
    The calender date is Jan 2nd, 2013.

CX-9 GT with Bose/moon roof, Nav. Red/Sand color for $32,000. But I could not get 0% finance through Mazda. The dealer told me that I can not get cash incentive and 0% at the same time. It is probably not the best deal for a 2012 CX-9. But that all I can get in Utah. There are not many Mazda dealers here.

After we signed paper works, the dealer became much slower in processing our loan. I had to call them several times to push them. It is sad to have to go through this for a dear CX-9. I think Mazda could be destroyed by its custom service/dealership in USA though my last purchase experience with Scion was much worse. BERNARDI SCION in Framingham, MA forced us to take another car after we signed contract. Are there any honest, consistent dealership at all?

Wish I don't have to buy another car for a very very long time.
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Member Posts: 75
    About honest dealerships, I do not know whether this depends on the dealership or a particular salesperson, but when we were looking at 2012 CX-9 last January at Lunde Mazda (that's Fargo, North Dakota!), they let us special-order the configuration and color we wanted (Sport, Blue with sand cloth interior with factory installed backup camera) and the sales person did not even ask us for a deposit.

They are not the cheapest, sales or service, but they were treating us well, both for sale of new CX-9 and service or my 08 Mazda3. The whole purchase process was as comfortable as it could be: we had negotiated over e-mail and I wrote a check for the exact amount specified in the last e-mail. They did mention extended warranty while I was signing documents but did not mention it again when I said no to it. Now, if only the new Mazda6 offered cloth heated seats...

By the way, our previous dealership (Southern States Mazda in Durham, NC) were great in sales but only so-so in service, and the one before that (Open Road Mazda, NJ)... almost put me off Mazda for good.

So YMMV, I guess :)
  • deedee78deedee78 Member Posts: 3
    Looking at purchasing a new CX9 Grand Touring. Negotiated a sale price of 32,895 with remote start and nav, sunroof, etc. just no DVD. I am purchasing in Houston, TX. sounds like a deal. Any advice ???
  • Hugo_StiglitzHugo_Stiglitz Member Posts: 167
    A 2013 w/Nav, remote start, sunroof for 32895,,,not AWD I pressume?
    I have a price of $26, 432, including destination and plus fees and tax, for a 2012 AWD Touring with moonroof and tailgate lift in New Jersey. Is this a good price?
  • firsttime6firsttime6 Member Posts: 5
    Can I ask which dealership this was? Also on the lookout for a 2012 CX9. tnx
    It is Sansone auto mall but it was bogus. It was through AAA, Consumer Reports, and the services for all those on-line discount. I had spoken with the person who responds to internet inquiry and she assured me it was that price with only $349 doc fee, tax and registration, promising no additional fees. She even looked the car up in the inventory and confirmed she had it. I even e-mailed her to confirm and she did. When I went down there today they added on about $3000 in fees for nitrogen for the tires, window etching, pinstriping, and 3 year dent warranty. They refused to honor their agreement so I left. I do not recommend them.
    WOW what a scam! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Yes, it seemed to be a combination of bait and switch and false advertising. I think it was the first time I was at a dealership where the manager did not come over when I decided not to buy which proves they knew what they were pulling.
  • mike_homemike_home Member Posts: 17
    If you are looking for an honest dealer in NJ then try Hamilton Mazda. I found them easy to deal with when I bought my 2012 CX-9.
  • firsttime6firsttime6 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply.
    I don't live close, about an hour away. Would they negotiate over the phone and keep their commitment?
  • mike_homemike_home Member Posts: 17
    I don't see why they would not. I am not allowed to post the name of my salesman. His last name is the same as a famous professional boxer.

You can check the inventory of any dealership on the MazdaUSA web site. Find the specific vehicle you want to ask if it is still in stock. Ask them to fax the quote to you.
  • spi5spi5 Member Posts: 48
    I seems like a great deal. The lowest quote I got for 2013 cx-9 awd with gt tech is 35,000. MSRP is 39,605.
  • abhikuabhiku Member Posts: 124
    Can you let me know which dealer in Seattle?
  • seven21seven21 Member Posts: 1
    Got an offer in North Texas, its a Certified 2012 CX-9 Touring for $23,500. It has 23,125 miles. After reading some post, about the colors ... it is a Black on Black LOL. Original price given was $24,900.

We are with a credit union and so far have gotten a 4.5% for 72 Months up to $25,000. Will more than likely try financing at the dealership to see what we can get too. We are stopping by the dealership tomorrow to check out the CX-9 as well. We will keep this car for a while, so certified is the only way we'd go. Any thoughts?
  • evanxevanx Member Posts: 1
    Got a 2012 CX-9 AWD Touring at Mazda Lodi last weekend. They are currently running $7000 off MSRP promotion.
  • james1414james1414 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I just purchased a 2012 Grand Touring CX-9. Edmunds is saying: 17mpg city and 24mpg highway. The reality is that I am averaging about 12 mpg in the city...super sucks. Who else is finding these creatures (sweet vehicle nevertheless) to have an inquenchable thirst?

Thanks for letting me know.
  • 6sup6sup Member Posts: 2
    LeeJohnsonMazda in Kirkland!
    My 2009 GT gets about 17 combined. It's FWD and driven fairly hard on 60/40 hwy/cty. I was disappointed too, but at least it doesn't require premium...
  • mary1_ctmary1_ct Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 2012 white pearl Touring CX 9 with 6cd Audio pkg, power liftgate, moonroof pkg, rearview cam, roof rack, steel bumper guard, remote start, wheel locks $33,000 out the door. Love the car!
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    4.5% at a CU? Geez, I got 1.9% with my CU (Randolph-Brooks) down near San Antonio. What CU do you belong to?.... :confuse:
  • bbrocx9bbrocx9 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2013
    Just picked up a new 2012 CX-9 Touring AWD south of Boston, MA in Dolphin Gray Mica/Sand with Bose & Moonroof, Sirius, Keyless Entry & Start, Pwr Liftgate, Roof Racks, Wheel locks and remote start.

RSRP $37357, Paid $29500.

Dealer also arranged for 2.39% finanacing @ local savings bank.
  • james1414james1414 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my Grand Touring at Everett Mazda. Joe and Mike were great. I got banged up on my trade in but I ended up purchasing the GRAND TOURING for only 33,350 (after $5000) toward the 2012. They wanted to get rid of all the new 2012 to make room for the re-designed 2013. I actually like the honeycomb front grill better than the new design. I love my PHAT 20" wheels. My city mileage sucks though...thought it was a joke to get 12mpg in the city. I end up with 19-21mpg overall though. My girlfriend loves my Dolphin Silver and thinks it looks like an Infinity....Ha...I had her at hello!
  • massguy2massguy2 Member Posts: 4
    Hey bbroc - sweet deal - mind sharing what dealer you used? I'm in central mass but don't mind traveling.
    Thanks!
    That would be Champion Lincoln Mazda in Brockton. They had one other '12 left. It is a touring, silver/black MSRP $37007. Bet you could get it for $30k no problemo, if it's still there!

There are a number of dealers closer to Boston with a ton of 2012's left. Quirk in Quincy, North Shore in Salem, Flood Mazda in Wakefield, Mastria in Raynham or Tasca in R.I. They all are or have in the last month advertised the huge savings of at least $7000 off a touring. They all have a lot of 2012s to unload as the 2013s start to roll in. If you're in the market, now's the time to do it!!! Ex., Flood is advertising on Autotrader.com a new 2012 Dolphin Gray Grand Touring, MSRP $40725, Sale Price $32320.

Just saw that Balise Mazda in West Springfield has 6 2012s at that discount. Hope this helps.
    Gallo Mazda in Worcester, MA has four 2012s with more than $7k in discounts.
  • ajsmithajsmith Member Posts: 1
    What do you folks think about a 2013 CX9 Touring with Tech Package OTD for 36K
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    It’s really not possible to evaluate an OTD price without several other pieces of information. Providing the total price BEFORE Sales Tax, Tag, Title or Registration Fees is actually the best way to evaluate how good of a deal you are getting! Too many factors can impact OTD price- sales tax rate, sales tax discount for trade-in value (if applicable), Dealer Fees (legit, bogus and in between) and Tag, Title and/or Registration Fees. All of those vary from state to state and often from county to county within the same state.

So here are the questions I need answered to provide you with the best feedback on the pricing you have been quoted-

Is it a FWD or AWD Touring model?

Does it have any dealer-installed options/accessories such as roof rack, mats, splash guards?

Is it Crystal White Pearl in color (costs extra $200)?

Where are you located (nearest major city will suffice)?

Based on the assumption that it is a Touring FWD with Technology Package and no other options/accessories and not Pearl White, the MSRP should be $36,025. The selling price for my location (Atlanta) is $31,980! You would need to add Sales Tax, Tax/Tag/Title fees and any mandatory Dealer Fee that isn’t negotiable.

I’m curious about something, if you don’t mind me asking. The Grand Touring with Tech Package costs slightly less than $2000 more than the Touring with Tech Package. The added features are a great value for $2000, in my opinion.

The Grand Touring with Tech Package adds-

20” Alloy Wheel and Tire Package
    Bi-Xenon High-Intensity-Discharge Headlights w/ Auto On/Off
    LED Daytime Running Lights
    Rain-sensing Auto Wipers
    Side-marker turn signal lights on side mirrors
    Driver’s seat 3-position memory & side mirror memory feature
    Tilt-in-reverse side mirror feature
    Chrome Door Handles
    Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror w/ Homelink Remote
    Storage compartment added to 2nd row Armrest
    Alarm System

What is your reason(s) for choosing the Touring instead of the Grand Touring? Is it just because you don’t want to spend the additional $2k? Or do none of the added features interest you (so they add no value for you)? Or are there other reasons? There are NO right or wrong answers, just an exercise based on curiosity! =)

One final note- An analysis for the total expense of owning and operating both models for 5-years and 75k miles is very interesting! The Grand Touring only costs $463 more to own and maintain for 5yrs/75k miles than the Touring model! Most of that $463 difference falls under the categories of Maintenance and Repairs- most likely it represents replacing the 20” tires once and allows for at least one Xenon bulb replacement.

By the way, the Grand Touring FWD with Tech Package has an MSRP of $38,015. The TrueCar Selling Price here in Georgia is only $33,945! =)
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    igozoomzoom:

What are you seeing in pricing for the following configuration:

My 2013 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD MSRP $ 36,375
    Destination Fee $ 795
    273-hp 3.7L DOHC 24-valve V6 Standard
    All-Wheel Drive Standard
    6-Speed Auto Standard
    Colors
    Exterior: METEOR GRAY MICA
    Interior: SAND LEATHER
    Packages and Options
    CARGO MAT $85
    ALL-WEATHER FLOOR MATS $125
    SPLASH GUARDS (SET OF 4) $150
    REAR BUMPER GUARD (STAINLESS STEEL) $150
    ROOF RAILS $250
    REMOTE ENGINE START $350
    TOWING RECEIVER HITCH (CLASS II) WITH TRAILER WIRING HARNESS $425
    GT TECH PKG $2,435
    Total MSRP: $41,140*
  • troymichaeltroymichael Member Posts: 18
    included options:
    Roof Rails
    Wheels Locks
    Towing package
    Grand Touring Tech package (power glass moonroof w/interior sunshade, Navigation system, Bose 10 speakers)

Costco members pay $200 over the invoice price.
    The Msrp is $38,620
    The invoice price is $36,484 + $200 =$36,684
    Rebate of $1,500

Costco price $35,184 plus tax/doc fees.

Feel free to comment on this pricing.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to a couple who recently purchased a family car together. If you and your spouse have kids, purchased a car within the past six months and would like to share your story with a journalist, please send your daytime contact information at pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 2 p.m. PT/5 p.m. ET.
  • cronuscronus Member Posts: 5
    Just got my 2013 Grand Touring CX-9 with AWD and Tech Package. Price paid before TTL was $34,499. Negotiated sale price was $36,499, and then $2,000 was knocked off from Mazda's current incentives and discounts. Financed for 60 months at 0% APR. What do you all think? Pretty good? Love the car. :-)