Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

1676869707173»

Comments

• yileditoryileditor Member Posts: 5
    Just drove home with a new 2013 CX-9 AWD, with tech package for $35k and 60 months at 0%, not including TTL. Took a while to negotiate 5 dealers down to that price via email. What a beautiful car! Now, I just need to master the thousands of controls and the voice navigation. Any recommendation on accessories? Floor mats?
  • cronuscronus Member Posts: 5
    Yileditor,

Was the 35K before or after any Mazda/Dealer incentives?

I picked up these, I think they look really good:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mazda-Valve-Stem-High-End-Quality/dp/B004OK4T2M/ref=sr_sp-- atf_image_1_1

Also, I thought this matched well with the interior:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWI51PO/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

Congrats!
  • zoomzoomjuicezoomzoomjuice Member Posts: 1
    Price isn't bad! You're active duty AND traded in a Mazda I presume? You might've had an extra buck or two to squeeze depending on the nick knack options but you did great over all!
  • cronuscronus Member Posts: 5
    Nope and nope. :-) $1000.00 was apparently cash available to the dealer to use at their discretion, and the other $1000.00 was for the "Mazda Owner Loyalty Bonus" program - basically if you own a mazda you get the extra $1000.00.
  • yileditoryileditor Member Posts: 5
    Sorry for the late reply. That was after all incentives. 35k even, no money down. The struggle was to get the price down and maintain the 60 month finance at 0%. Very happy with the no-interest loan for 5 years! I'll check out those links. Thx!
  • stistiestistie Member Posts: 3
    Hi

I just bought a 2012 touring awd for 21,000 plus $2500 trade. It has 3,000 miles on it. Did I do well?
  • shadowhawk2020shadowhawk2020 Member Posts: 7
    My wife and I have saved enough to pay around 30k cash for a new vehicle. We have decided (unless something crazy happens) on the 13' CX-9 Touring in Dolphin Grey Mica. We are near Orlando and currently own a Mazda (although loyalty incentives ended).

My wife would be interested in the Tech package. She REALLY wants the bose system and we would have Sirius installed with or without the package. She also likes the idea of the moonroof (even though I think it is a leak waiting to happen) and I would like the remote start.

The problem is I don't really want to go too far over our budget for options that aren't really needed (especially since we started by looking at the Sport and realized we could probably afford the Touring.

Any thoughts?
    Forgot to add FWD
  • mike_homemike_home Member Posts: 17
    Last August I bought a 2012 CX-9 touring AWD in NJ for $28,590 plus tax and fees. It did not have any options other than wheel locks, all weather floor mats, cargo net and roof rails. I did not get the loyalty rebate, but I did get a large dealer incentive since I did not take the financing option. The purchase price was almost $6000 below MSRP.

I think a price of $30K out the door for the options you want may be unrealistic. The Bose option is expensive. Consider dropping the moon roof and the remote start. The prices may be better in August as the model year begins to wind down and incentives are introduced.
    I kind of figured it was too much for too little. Do they piece out the options (like the Bose)? I thought they were an all or nothing package deal.

Thanks.
  • jkipsterjkipster Member Posts: 270
    Have you checked to see the dealer inventory in your area? You should be able to see through Edmunds.

I was told by a salesman that the Mazda3 was their high volume bread and butter. So if a CX-9 has been sitting on their lot for awhile, you may get a good discount on it. And in my (limited anecdotal) experience usually the higher priced cars with more options end up sitting on the lots longer.

Send some feelers out through email, see what they are quoting, and wait them out.
    2001 Passat
    2010 G37S Sedan
    2013 G37xS Sedan
    2014 QX60
    2015 Q40
    2016 QX60
    2016 E350 Sedan
    2017 QX60
    2019 E450 Wagon
    2021 Sienna XSE AWD
    2022 Lexus RX350
    2022 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
    2023 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum 4WD
    The Bose system is part of the $3000 Touring Technology Package. It includes other items. Unfortunately you can't the Bose audio system by itself from the factory. You may be able to get a dealer installed Bose system, but you would get no credit for the factory radio.
  • 007003s007003s Member Posts: 3
    We are in Denver area and about to buy a 2013 CX-9 with 0% 60-month financing. From initial emails with dealers my best quote on a Sport with Power Seat package is $28,990 + $499 dealer fee + 4.25% sales tax (based on my home location) = $30978. The same dealer is offering me the Touring with Technology Package for $33,221+$499 dealer fee + sales tax = $35,493. These prices include $1250 cash holdback currently offered by Mazda with their 0% financing. There are other dealers in the area with comparable stock at slightly higher initial quotes. Are these good prices and how much more do you think they can come down? Our interest in the Touring is for the 3rd row speakers, power lift gate and nav system (don't mind cloth Sport seats) so struggling with whether the Touring price is worth it.
  • rickiebrickieb Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all those who post their lease prices on Edmunds.
    I'd like to do the same. I received the following lease prices this past weekend on a base CX9 Touring with NO extras or packages.
    Monthly payment - $316
    Money down - $2355

I had $2000 equity in my existing CX9. After taking this into account and after a little negotiation I got:
    Monthly - $255
    Money Down - $2165

I was exceedingly happy with this deal.
    Note - this is a 2013 and Mazda seem to have some meaningful incentives.
    rickieb - What was the actual sale price of the vehicle? We will not be leasing so curious what a base model touring went for.
  • harish1harish1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2013 Touring AWD with tech package for 35K out the Door in June 2013. Seems like you should be able to get a better deal.
    Ended up getting 2013 Touring AWD Black/Black w/tech package with no money down, 0% financing for $32,721 + $499 dealer fee + local sales taxes. Buying at end of month (Aug 30) seemed to help considerably. Unfortunately the sales taxes are based on the MSRP. Now just have to figure out how to keep our new black car clean and looking good!
  • dslunceforddslunceford Member Posts: 26
    Purchased from Koons Mazda Silver Spring, MD today. Black Touring with Sand interior. Only options were all-weather mats, wheel lock and cargo net. Beat most offers by $1k+, and a close competing offer by $200+

$30,728 included (VA 4%) taxes, tags, titling. Used our own financing through Navy Fed.
    Sorry, meant to share vehicle price, which was $28,509 with options. Freight, taxes, tags, dealer processing took it to the OTD price.
  • netryedernetryeder Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing from this dealer. Just to be clear it was a 2013 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD with no additional options for $28,509. What was the MSRP? Did you qualify for any additional rebates?
  • thepieguythepieguy Member Posts: 14
    There's a dealer nearby that has a few 2013 CX-9 Touring AWD's that are Certified Pre Owned with around 17k miles and no extra options. According to Autocheck they are former rentals. I don't really have a problem with that if they are in good shape, since they are CPO.

The problem is, I really wouldn't know what to pay for one. They are asking about $29k but Edmunds TMV is $30k for a brand new one after a $3000 rebate. I would expect a significant discount for being a rental, I don't know how much though, and being CPO adds some value back.

Any ideas what a reasonable price on a CX-9 like I'm describing would be?
    You should be able to buy a brand new 2013 CX-9 Touring AWD for about $28.5K. So I would discount one with 17K miles at 15-20% off the new price.

I don't see much value in the CPO given that the car is still under the manufacturer's warranty. Does the CPO warranty go past the 36K miles, 3 years and 5 year power train? If not then it is of no value.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    FYI- if the New Car Warranty is still in effect, the CPO Limited Warranty will add another 12-months or 12k miles to it. If the vehicle is no longer covered by the Mazda New Car Warranty, it will be covered by a 12-month/12k mile Limited Warranty.

All Mazda CPO vehicles also have a 7-year/100k mile Powertrain Warranty (from original in-service/sale date when new).
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I priced a CPO 2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD with 17k miles AND a NEW 2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD on Edmunds and KBB.com. The CPO model was quoted at $31,463 on Edmunds and $31,366 on KBB.

Edmunds quotes the NEW model at $29,821 and KBB shows it at $28,745! TrueCar.com is very close to the KBB price at $28,807.

So a NEW 2013 CX-9 Touring AWD can be bought for $1600-$2600 LESS than a CPO model with 17k miles (and a former rental)!

The Limited (Bumper-to-Bumper) Warranty coverage would be almost the same whether CPO or NEW. The CPO gets 1-year/12k miles added to the end of it’s 3-year/36k mile warranty. With 17k miles on the vehicle, it has 19k miles of the original warranty left. With the added CPO coverage, it has about 31k miles of Warranty remaining. The NEW one has 3-years and 36k miles.

The CPO has a 7-year/100k mile Powertrain Warranty (from date of original sale, not when you purchase it). So it has about 6-years or 83k miles remaining. The NEW one has a 5-year/60k mile Powertrain Warranty. So the CPO only has an extra 1-year and 23k miles of Powertrain coverage.

The warranty extensions are the primary reason the CPO models are priced as high as they are. They are also the main selling point that dealers/salesman tout when trying to sell a CPO model.

But the extended warranty coverage on the CX-9 is of VERY little value. The CX-9 has been the MOST RELIABLE SUV/CUV in the segment since it was introduced back in 2007. According to Consumer Reports, the 2013 model is projected to be 45% MORE reliable than average for the class.

In this particular instance, I would highly recommend buying a NEW 2013 CX-9 instead of a CPO. You get to choose your favorite interior/exterior color combination, it would have ZERO miles on it and you’ll get to enjoy that ‘new car smell’ instead of ‘disinfected rental car smell’. It’s also inevitable that the former rentals may have minor cosmetic blemishes (or scuffed alloy wheels from curbing). The original tires on the CX-9 Touring will only last 35k miles at most, and that’s if they’re rotated every 7500 miles as they should be. So a CPO with 17k miles will only have another 15k miles or so of life remaining then you’ll need to replace them!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • samnvssamnvs Member Posts: 1
    Need someone's expert guidance. I am looking for a 2013 CX9 Grand Touring with Tech package. I found a pre-owned one where dealer is quoting $30,998 (7500 miles) while another dealer is offering me $32,798 for a brand new CX9 Grand Touring. Another dealer has a 10K pre-owned with same options and is quoting $37,990!!!!.

KBB says that a 2013 CX9 with 7500 miles $34,500 while Edmunds quote is $34,029. With 2014 CX9 around the corner, shouldn't the price for a used one with 7.5K miles drop to around 29K considering at least 10% depreciation over the current market price of 32K?? While I am trying to negotiate with the dealer, I wanted some help in terms of what would be the ideal price as KBB and Edmunds quotes are discounted based on the MSRP it seems.

Also, when the tax is applied on a new vehicle.. do I pay the tax on MSRP or the invoice value? I am paying 8.5% tax so this would probably add a grand or so in my net cost. Tx.
  • thepieguythepieguy Member Posts: 14
    I don't know, I just think prices on year old used cars is out of whack. Like they don't factor in what you should be able to buy a new one for if you shop smart. I just think dealers know some sucker will walk in and buy it thinking they are really saving vs. new car MSRP. If new vs used was only a couple grand, I know what I would do. I mean, you're already spending 30k+.

Anyways, I found and bought a 2010 touring 35k miles, bose package, power lift gate, new tires for under 20k.
  • tomhawk1tomhawk1 Member Posts: 12
    I'm looking at a 2013 grand touring awd with tech. My price with taxes everything is 35,220. This is with 3000 cash back, 1000 loyalty and 1.9 financing. Just wonder if it's worth it or if I wait few months for deals on 2014.
  • morriss821morriss821 Member Posts: 1
    Don't know what the offer on that 2013 awd gt w/tech is before TTL but based on your drive away price of 35,220 I'd estimate the offer on that car is around $32,800.

According to Edmunds, that vehicle has a dealer invoice of $38,000. Even with the 3000 rebate and the additional 1000 owner loyalty cash that's down to only $34,000. I'm not sure why you'd hesitate on an offer that's around $1200 UNDER invoice.

Deals are out there on 2014's. My wife and I just bought a 2014 fwd Touring w/ tech (msrp $36,275) in the new blue color (sand interior) for $33,900 - 1000 owner loyalty = $32,900+TTL. That doesn't come CLOSE to your deal on a GT awd.

We were offered $32,614 for a 2013 fwd GT w/ tech, tow prep, cl III hitch package, roof rails - but it was not in a color my wife wanted to live with so we took a pass.
  • wethead4wethead4 Member Posts: 5
    which would you go for. 2013 GT awd with tech for 34000 or 2014 Touring awd with tech for 34950? these ok prices?
    I know this reply is late...sorry.

No, the prices shared were for a Touring, not a Grand Touring.
  • jellyfish86jellyfish86 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    After testing driving this car, I like it very much. I live in Philadelphia area, I am not sure how much I should pay for this 2013 CX9 AWD Touring without the package? I found last year at this moment, people paid 26000+TTL for a 2012 cx9. I was trying to get the same deal like last year, but after first time walk in to local dealers, none of them could offer the same price (lowest I got is 27900 + TTL). Probably because none of them have 2013 white cx 9 in their lots. I am also a Mazda owner, I got 3000+1000 incentives for this 2013 cx9. Any one could give me some suggestions on how much I should pay for this car before tax and title fees? Thanks a lot.
  • mlx1mlx1 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2014

So, I got this deal on a CX-9 Lease. Please let me know if it is a good deal. I believe it is, but not sure what others have gotten.

2014 Mazda CX-9 Touring + Tech Package + Roof Rails.

• MSRP: 36,630.00
    • Negotiated Price: 33,788.00
    • Fees :( (registration, acquisition, etc, etc): 1408.69
    • Total: 35,196.69
    • Mazda lease cash rebate: 1,550
    • Mazda owner rebate: 1000
    • Final price: 32,646
    • Number factor: 0.0001
    • Miles/yr: 12,000
    • Period: 36 months
    • Residual: 19,047.60
    • I put down: 1995
    • Monthly payment: 367.00
  • 5cs5cs Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2014

Just leased a 2014 CX-9 - How bad did I do?

2014 CX-9 Touring AWD with Tech Package, Roof Rails, Hitch and All Weather Mats
    $425 / Month
    36 Months
    15K Miles / year
    $2000 due at signing (included tax, tags and dealer fees)

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2014

@czr, your 2014 buying post was moved to the 2014 Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid discussion.

• cx9dancx9dan Member Posts: 3

Urge you to consider other vehicles. Have a cx-9 - -turns out, there are considerable problems with the vehicle well known to mazda (published by mechanic web-sites that they are aware of), but choose not to cover! Our air conditioner blower just submerged in water that was coming in thru the air vents -- it's a simple design flaw -- they neither alerted us to the problem nor, when our blower died, will cover it. Mazda does not stand behind their product -- after you purchase you are on your own!!