Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• streethawkstreethawk Member Posts: 2
    This is the deal I got. $700 Below Invoce and 1.9% APR with the following options

2008 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD
    GT ASSIST PACKAGE
    TOWING PACKAGE
    REAR SEAT ENT. SYS./ BOSE
    BLIND SPOT MONITORING SYSTEM
    COMPASS/AUTODIM MIRROR WITH HOMELINK

Is this a good deal?
  • gahogsgahogs Member Posts: 15
    Streethawk, I would say no.

As for my two cents and from my relatively recent buying experience, I 100% agree with badself that your target right now should be ~$4000** below MSRP or ~$1500** below invoice (some folks have done $4500** below MSRP and nearly $2000** below invoice if you really push -- some a little further than even that, but perhaps those had fees rolled in that were not reported -- at any rate, see past posts on this thread).

**It is very important that the above target does not include any dealer fees, ad fees, or prep fees, or any other fee you can think of that the dealer can tack on top of the negotiated price to recover profit (those items are just pure profit -- there is a cost to doing business, and that is covered through the sale of the car at the negotiated price, not pure profit mark-ups like these). If that is the case, then the above deal is whatever fee they tack on taken away from the above target (i.e. if they tack on a $400 dealer fee, then your revised target should be $4400 below MSRP or $1900 below invoice). Your out-the-door costs should just be tax, tag, and title (don't pay a document fee either... quite literally, only pay tax, tag, and title above the negotiated price). Many dealers will pre-print the fee on the sales form... it is just a simple matter for them to show you a credit in the amount of the fee on the line directly below the fee. Another option is to show the negotiated price lower by the amount of the fee (either way, you are not paying it). In fact, that is what they did with our deal, so on paper our negotiated price was an additional $400 below the prices I reported. I didn't report that when providing details of our puchase a few posts ago as I felt it confused the issue. Dealers will tell you have to pay it, but again, it is just a tactic (I have never paid a fee on any new vehicle purchased... if you hold your ground and tell them it is just pure profit, in my experience they will pull it, but again I have also been more than willing to walk). Most people get "new car fever", cave, and agree to it after settling on a negotiated price feeling like they got a good deal when in actuality after tacking on the fees they did not get a good deal. It is an easy way for dealers to make a quick $400 - $700 with very little effort. Just be willing to walk... You will get a call on your cell after leaving the dealership with the fees taken away (sometimes as quick as you walk out the doors; Sometimes in a day or two). Keep in mind the dealers have "new sale fever" at that point just as much as you have "new car fever", so just turn the tables on them. Also keep in mind they are competing with other dealers, whereas you are competiting with no one (more cars on lot right now than folks purchasing them -- someone had previously posted limited inventory by Mazda, but Mazda has to complete with all the Toyota's and Honda's of the world as well, and as a whole, the SUV market is flooded and Mazda doesn't dominate the market share enough to avoid feeling that pressure / competition from other manufacturers potentially landing customers that would have otherwise bought a Mazda. In fact, Toyota was after us hard and throwing everything, including the kitchen sink, at us for a '08 Highlander). The market forces are in your favor at the moment. Good luck.

(BTW murman67 -- sounds like you've got a good deal -- provided they don't tack on any fees. It is clear you are working with a dealership ready to deal and move a car off their lot by the price they quoted -- dealers read these threads too! If you haggle, you can probably bring them down a little lower, but that is a matter of how much time and energy you want to put into driving the price down a couple of hundred bucks further relative to giving a cost for your own personal time in attempting to do so).
  • njmazda9njmazda9 Member Posts: 6
    So this is my first post on this forum - this is a great source I've found and I have all of you to thank!!

I am ready to put together an offer, however the only sticking point is that the dealer will be installing the (1) AUDIOVOX Headrest DVD unit and the (2) Pursuit Remote Engine Start.

I would like to ask all of you if you happen to know the pricing on these 2 items above so I know what to factor into my pricing offer. I wish I knew the 'exact' model of the 2 items above, but I'm not at that point yet. I'm a bit of a newbie, so don't always ask the dealer the right questions!! But would just like to get an idea of what I should consider paying for these 2 items.

Thanks so much - I really appreciate all your input/suggestions!!
  • streethawkstreethawk Member Posts: 2
    First I would like to Thank you for all the information. I salute you!!! for the passion to help other.

As you said in the post If one has time and patience but I tried hard but I was able to get only $1000 below Invoice compared to $700. After reading your post I went back to renegotiate but was not very sucessfull to get $2000 below Invoice.

One other information I found was that the $1500 incentive was raised to $2500 couple of days ago so hopefully this should help other who are buying.
    Thanks once again.
    I love my CX9 its awesome and Impressed. My other car is an Infiniti FX35 and I might starting like Mazda better than my Infiniti.

StreetHawak.
  • badselfbadself Member Posts: 39
    I was wondering about your source regards the $2,500 incentive you mentioned in your post. Mazda isn't showing anything different on their site of late, but then again, they don't show the $1,500 factory-to-dealer cash either (and of course no manufacturer is going to publicize the holdback).

Just curious about what this $2,500 is about (i.e. is it a July incentive going out early, or is it more Mazda "sleight of hand?

Up to now, the only negative in dealing with Mazda has been in nailing them down to their incentives. Everything else (the CX-9 foremost) has been a positive experience. Save for the mediocre gas mileage, the vehicle is a great vale, especially in build quality, mine so far anyway.
  • murrman67murrman67 Member Posts: 6
    Oops, sorry bout that. The deal was $1,500 below INVOICE, which was nearly $4K below MSRP. I talked to the Mgr of the first dealership and he was pretty short with me saying that they couldn't offer both programs and he wouldn't have approved my deal. He figured the dealership where I purchased was relatively new and they must have been chasing deals.
    Not sure what the value of the tow hitch was, but the aftermarket installer claims a 4,000 lb capacity and it has a 2" receiver rather than the 1" factory unit. Was pretty pleased with that.
  • jferrettijferretti Member Posts: 4
    Pretty fair deal with the financing. With the news above that dealer incentive money may be increasing to 2500 prospective buyers should be able to get to 2000 below invoice and the financing. I am waiting until tomorrow (July 1) to see if any new incentives pop up before sitting down to negotiate on a vehicle. From what I read here the factory ramps up for production of 09's July 1st so additional incentives may start to move 08's.
  • jferrettijferretti Member Posts: 4
    Here is the deal:

CX-9
    BOSE/MOONROOF
    HOMELINK
    GT ASSIST
    BLIND SPOT MONITORING
    SIRIUS RADIO

Purchase price was $33,950.00. Dealer invoice for this vehicle is $36,850.00 with only transportation cost as an add on. MSRP without all the add ons is $40,000. The 1.9% financing was not available at this rate and we were told this dealership would sell any CX-9 at 2000 below dealer invoice but would not offer the 1.9 with it. Obviously their profit was tied up in the financing and probably a little dealer incentive cash left over.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    I just got an email from Oak Tree Mazda where I bought my CX-9 from saying 0% APR financial is now available on 10 MAZDA models. Not sure how that work with the $2000 below invoice price people are getting these days. Just FYI.
  • mcle2000mcle2000 Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking to lease a CX9 Sport edition, FWD most likely with 12,000 miles.

With absolutely no money down at all other than the first month's payment, I think I can get somewhere around high 300s.

I already lowballed the dealers with prices of mid 300s and they basically had no interest in my business (which is fine, bc that way I have an idea where the bottom price is).

Could someone tell me if they believe high 300/month for either 24 or 36 months seems reasonable? I believe it does.

Thanks
    Mike
    mcle2000@aol.com
  • acajoeacajoe Member Posts: 4
    I got last week a 2008 cx9 Sport model with white pearl paint, electric driver seat and the dealer installed leather seat kit. Monthly pmt $405 including taxes which are 7%. with nothing down just paid the first month.

I did have a Conquest Certificate from Mazda for $1000 that the Dealer applied to the lease agreement.

Got it the last of the month 6/30 and dealer said they were loosing money on the deal but needed this one last sale to close the month.

Lease is for 36 months with 12K miles / yr.
    Ok, then high 300s with nothing extra down isn't too bad at all...

Was that FWD or AWD? Personally, I'd rather have FWD but they're having a tough time finding one for me ...I don't really need the AWD..

What is dealer installed leather seat kit?

Thanks
    The leather seats are because the Sport does not come with leather seats and I wanted the leather seats. They can install a Katzkin leather seat that is factory authorized by Mazda.

It is FWD.

Be patient and you should be able to get into the hight 300's with a Sport and FWD with not too many add ons.
    Thanks.

How long does it take to install the leather seats? How much extra is that?

The issue right now is that no one seems to have the FWD but I'll keep asking...

Thanks
  • disney2disney2 Member Posts: 25
    Could you please tell me what a "Conquest Certificate" is? Thanks.
    The leather seats took 2 days. Conquest certificate is mailed by Mazda to prospective customers that have a car from a competing brand and I do not know how but they know when your lease is expiring so they sent it to you abt two months before the expiration of your present lease. The certificate has your name and a certificate Number for the dealer to process the cash back to them.
  • zoomzoom25zoomzoom25 Member Posts: 1
    We just got back from dealer... $34700. Add to that $359 dealer fee, Tax+Tag+ Destination fee. - car had 80 miles on it. Original MSRP was 40,340.
    Options includes MHR,RCK,WLK,BS1,1MC,2PA. $36,886 out the door. Including 3 year oil change and lifetime inspection. I think I could of push a bit more and got the destination fee waved of $635.
  • intrumintrum Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the info on this forum. It really helped in when purchasing my CX-9 last week (i have been looking for some time now).

I got my Mazda CX-9 GT AWD from a dealer in MD and the price out the door was $35 743 (the Edmunds invoice is $38 037).

The options included:

(BS1 ) BLIND SPOT MONITORING SYSTEM
    (1MC ) MOONROOF & BOSE AUDIO PKG
    (1TP ) TOWING PKG
    (2PA ) GRAND TOURING ASSISTANCE PKG
    (CGM ) CARPETED & COLOR KEYED CARGO MAT
    (FLA ) ALL WEATHER FLOOR MATS
    (MHR ) AUTO-DIMMING MIRROR
    RCK ) ROOF RAILS
    (RSE ) REMOTE ENGINE START
    (SAT ) SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO
    (WLK ) WHEEL LOCKS

I paid cash and had no trade in. I will now have it shipped to Europe, since I can't get it here. By the way, the price for a CX-7 in Europe is close to $50 000, so even after paying the shipping and customs, my CX-9 will be cheaper than a CX-7.
    I am looking for a FWD Sport 12,000 mile and was told by the dealer that the AWD actually leases better and the price would be the same. He said that unfortunately the residual and the money factor is worse on a fwd model. Ok, maybe thats true..I didn't think so, but I'm not really sure. I think the price that he is giving me after negotiating is pretty good and wanted to get some opinions.

With no other money down other than first month's lease payment, the monthly price is $398/mo. for 39months.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
  • pcz0925pcz0925 Member Posts: 9
    Just brought my new Brilliant Black 2008 CX-9 home and wanted to share the great deal Morries Mazda in Minnetonka provided:

AWD Touring edition w/Towing Pkg and Moonroof/Bose Sound System

MSRP = $35,850
    Selling Price = $28,107.28 + $334.50 (dealer-installed auto dimming/Homelink rearview mirror) = $28,441.78.

OTD w/tax, title, and license was $30,832.50. The key to the deal was having the dealer apply the $3,000 dealer cash rather than me using the 1.9% financing for 5 yrs. Greater than $7,700 off sticker meant they sold me my CX-9 at invoice, gave me nearly all the holdback AND the $3,000 dealer cash. This is one sweet deal and an even sweeter vehicle!

One note - I financed with 0 down for 60 mos. through Costco's Capital One auto Finance program for 4.67% - that rate was better than anything the dealer could do and even better than the best rate my usually stellar credit union offered.
  • hieppohieppo Member Posts: 3
    Hi intrum,

Could you email me on how you got such an amazing deal especially that you are not local US residence?

Thanks

hieppo_at_gmail.com (replace _at_ with @)
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Well Done!

This board was made for people like you!

Frankly, I stop posting because of so many "old school" thinkers that believe $500 over invoice is a bargain!

The new standard is at least $3.5 to $4K below invoice (with no fees).

Again good work!
  • talcloudtalcloud Member Posts: 2
    I think we are going to buy a cx9AWD and we live near FRESNO CA. The dealers in our town think 1000 off msrp is a great deal. I have found that if I drive to the bay or LA I can get a great deal 4-5 off MSRP. Anyone found a great dealer in thier home town?

I have used this board for the last 6 cars I have bought and you all have been a great help
  • jnyepujnyepu Member Posts: 4
    I bought from Town North Mazda in Richardson, TX (DFW). This and one other dealer (Freeman) were the only two of four to respond directly to my email inquiry about inventory and price (I used the Edmunds.com tool to configure a vehicle and send it to all possible dealers in the DFW area).

Of these two, one specifically answered my questions and actually sent the information I specifically requested (Town North). The other, Freeman, originally gave me a price quote for a vehicle I didn't want (wrong configuration), then after I corrected them they gave me a price quote $402 above Town North for the config I wanted, and did not answer any of the questions/send any information I requested. Instead, the Internet sales guy there gave me some weird vague answer about being good at what they do. I specifically asked the following 3 questions:

1. Do you install other extras/add-ons to the vehicle?
    2. Do you include charges not on the actual factory invoice like "delivery and handling" or "advertising fees"
    3. Could you email/fax a worksheet/invoice prior to my arranging a test drive at your earliest convenience?

Because Freeman could not answer these questions directly or email/fax me ani invoice, they lost my business.

The other two dealers asked me to call them or visit (this was not the point of the Internet approach, so I blew them off).

Town North's price quotes were the following on July 17th:

Grand Touring with AWD, blind spot, homelink mirror, splash guards, wheel locks, entertainment package, tow package, and grand touring asst package - Msrp $41525 less $7000 Tn disc = $34525 + tax $2157.81 + inv. tax $71.43 + title & lic $182.55 = $36936.79 (they had 6 of these in various colors)

Grand Touring with AWD, blind spot, homelink mirror, splash guards, wheel locks, moonroof/6 disc/bose package, tow package, and grand touring asst. package - Msrp $40760 less $7000 Tn disc = $33760 + tax $2110.00 + inv. tax $69.85 + title & lic $182.55 = $36122.40 (they had 2 of these)

Apparently, TX charges a dealer inventory tax that is passed on to the buyer.

Decided to go for one with the entertainment package. Moonroofs can act as a heatsink in these hot Texas summers!

Tried to get them to drop the price another $500.00, saying Freeman was giving me that price (really poor negotiating attempt on my part, but I had to try something). They didn't budge. I figured (and the posts prior to mine confirm) that this was probably as low as they were willing to (or could) go, but thought I'd try anyway.

So I focused on my trade in value. They low balled me completely (of course). I told the sales mgr I had to talk to my wife. Gave the usual indignant lecture that my car was worth more and that if they came close to what I wanted they could still turn around and sell it at retail and do well on it.

We made some phone calls, had them waiting. I then told them I wanted them to reprint the #s they sent by email and that I wanted to think about it over the weekend. "All of a sudden," they had someone who could give me within range of what I would accept for my trade, but I had to do the deal now because they had a trailer coming though Dallas the same evening that could pick the car up, but ONLY tonight. Right.....

I REALLY didn't like this transparent, lame, insulting tactic, but the bottom line was that their price on the CX-9 seemed appropriate and they were giving me an acceptable # for my trade-in. (My trade-in is still on the lot 24 hours later).

I posted this long drawn out summary to hopefully help someone else who is looking at this vehicle and wondering if they are getting a good deal +/- if you are doing a trade. Reading back through some of the posts from earlier in July and late June, it seems like the closer we got to July, and then as July progresses, the degree of the price drop from invoice has increased from $2000 to almost $4000.

As described above, if you took the cash discount to go basically $4k below invoice, you could not participate in the 0.0%/36 mos or 1.9%/60 mos.

Bottom line, these dealers really want to move these cars. My #s vary minimally from the posts from VA/MD but this must be regional variations. I wonder if the incentives will sweeten as July winds down and we get into August?

Good luck with your purchase, stick to your guns, and be ready to walk!
  • caraddict2caraddict2 Member Posts: 24
    Ok got a question I found the Cx-9 I want. It's a 2008 touring edition:

National Base Price
    A note about advertising fees $32,915 $30,435
    Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code Change - -
    Optional Equipment $2,012 $1,715
    1MC Moonroof and Bose Audio Package $1,760 $1,514
    FLA All-Weather Floor Mats $125 $100
    CGM Cargo Mat $77 $61
    WLK Wheel Locks $50 $40
    Color Adjustment - - $9
    Copper Red Mica
    Destination Charge $635 $635
    Total with Options $35,562 $32,785

so according to Edmonds invoice $32,785, now from what you guys are saying I should be able to get this CX-9 $4000 below invoice around $28,785?
  • jnyepujnyepu Member Posts: 4
    That sounds about right, at least based on my experience here in Dallas.
  • cubuff1cubuff1 Member Posts: 5
    I leased a new CX-9 GT AWD on July 16th and here are the details of my experience:

Black/Black
    OPTIONS
    MHR - Compass/AutoDim Mirror with Homelink
    RCK - Roof Rails
    RSE - Remote Engine Start
    BS1 - Blind Spot Monitoring System
    1MC - Moonroof/Bose/6 CD Package
    2PA - GT Assist Package DVD Nav + Touchscreen

PRICING
    MSRP - $40,640
    Edmunds Invoice - $37,040
    Gross Cap Cost - $37,252 (Included Dealer Fees and First Month Lease Payment)
    MAC Mazda Rebate - (-$1350)
    Conquest Certificate Rebate (-$1000) - Sent to me by Ford/Mazda in May or June
    Adjusted Cap Cost ***(Selling Price)*** - $34,902

LEASE (36 months 10,500 miles/yr) *($0 down, $0 at signing, first mo.included)*
    July Money Factor - 0.00108
    Residual Lease End Value (10,500 miles/yr) - 51% or $40,640 x .51= $20,726.40
    Lease Calculation:
    $34,902 - $20,726.40 = $14,175.60/36 months = $393.77
    $34,902 + $20,726.40 = $55,628.40 x 0.00108 = $60.08
    Payments = $453.85
    Tax (Denver, CO 7.72%) = $35.04
    Total Payments = $488.89 month (35 months)

This dealership (Burt Mazda - Centennial, CO) had a great selection of CX-9's and I know they're not moving very quickly. The 09's are on the way so this is a great time to make a deal on an '08! This vehicle has been great so far, Good Luck!
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    ZZ25:

Where did you get that price? I'm in VA and looking to buy a similar CX-9 (although I'm looking at the American competition as well). Did you have a trade in?
  • cubuff1cubuff1 Member Posts: 5
    I leased the car from Burt Mazda in Centennial, CO (right outside of Denver). I did not have a trade-in. The only additional rebate I had was the conquest rebate of $1000 that I received in the mail from Mazda. I believe they mailed it to me because I had a competitive vehicle (VW Touareg) nearing the end of it's lease. I think the dealership gets reimbursed the $1000 by Mazda, so they were happy to honor it (although many people at the dealership had not seen this rebate before).
    Thanks for the info.
    Can anyone positively confirm the current incentives? Edmunds doesn't list anything other than the 60 month/1.9% financing. Is the factory-to-dealer cash still available? If so, how much? I'm going to the dealer tonight...
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Edmunds is slow in updating.
    Mazdausa.com listed the 0% APR for 36months on 10 models. CX9 included.
    My local newspaper listed $6000 off MRSP on CX9. So, this should be your starting point of negotiation at least.
    Thanks. My local dealer started me at $3k off MSRP (with 60/1.9) and lowballed my trade by 15%. Maybe he'll get to make some money on the warranty work after I buy elsewhere...
  • sethnagasethnaga Member Posts: 50
    I have negotiated the following price from a dealer in Atlanta

08 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring with 1) GT Assist Package 2) Moon Roof/Bose Package 3) Composs, Auto Dim Mirror 4) Home link 5)Roof Rails

MSRP $38,735
    Invoice: 35,561 (From Edmunds)
    Quoted $31,100 + TTL Extra

That is 7,635 off the MSRP and 4400 off invoice price. Is this is a good deal? Should I negotiate further?
  • sleepybubbasleepybubba Member Posts: 61
    $4400 under invoice - you seem like a hero in my books. I think my local Mazda dealer would show me the door when I mention this to him, but I should be definitely trying to aim towards $4k under invoice. This may swing me again towards CX-9 (I was almost ready to buy the MDX which was a bit higher than what I was going to spend)

One question: did you get the 1.9% fin deal into this price as well?
    No I am not getting any finance.
    Interested buyer here as well...

When everyone speaks about the MSRP and INVOICE etc are you all factoring in the "Destination Charge" into this price, or is that always 'extra' when negotiating.

Also, on top of the (1) price of the car and (2) destination charge, and (3) sales tax, what other fees/charges should we be looking out for - ie, definitely have to pay vs. don't pay even though the dealer tries to push it on you?

I've had a preliminary conversation with a dealership in the area, and they mentioned a (1) Dealer Charge of $289 and a (2) Car Registration of $361 (they said that pays for 4yrs of registration). If anyone could shed a little light on what these 2 charges really are, and if it's common to pay, or if I should negotiate out of them.

Thanks very much!!!
    When I negotiate a price I make it simple. Total price inclusive of Destination charge, documentation fee plus tax which is 7% here and tag and title fee which is around 50$ here in GA

So i tell him my price is 31000 which includes everything except Tax, tag and title. I also give them my drive out price. (Which includes Tax, tag and title)

In general most dealers price quote includes destination fee but NOT documentation fee. Most here in Georgia quote documentation fee separately. I also find many dealers add junk fees when you negotiate. Just make it clear what your drive out fee is and tell him you will not pay a dime above that number.
  • murphcoairmurphcoair Member Posts: 8
    Made the deal today
    2008 CX9 Grand Touring Liquid Platinum metallic with black interior AWD with GT assist, moon roof bose, blind spot, all weather floor mats, wheel locks. MSRP39975.00
    Sell price was 36,000. even plus TTR with 1.9 financing.
    Without 1.9 financing price was 33,000.

Best I could get with S-Plan was 36585.00 with 1.9
    33585.00 without 1.9
    Thanks to all that have shared their experiences they were helpful.
    I pick it up tuesday.
    murphcoair

Great work there. Which city you are in?
  • murphcoairmurphcoair Member Posts: 8
    I live in Long Beach New York (Long Island).
    Made the Deal at Manhattan Mazda in NYC
    Had quotes as well from Wantagh Mazda , Country Mazda in Huntington, Koeppell Mazda In Woodside NY
    The only dealer I disliked was Koeppell In woodside I think their sales force would be more comfortable slithering than walking.
    And all star Mazda in Hempstead never answered any of my requests.
    Wantagh and Country were the most responsive as far as sending prices via e-mail
    etc. I was a little leary of Manhattan because they would not e-mail or fax a work sheet , but they turned out to be honest and had the lowest quoted price.
    I have been talking and e-mailing this deal between the 4 dealers for almost a month , and if I wanted to persue it for another couple of weeks I probably could have dropped the price another 300. - 500. bucks, but I no longer consider the 2001 oldsmobile Silhouette reliable transportation for the wife and kids. And hey summers half gone they gotta take some trips somewhere.
  • alexandriaalexandria Member Posts: 12
    Hello,

I am looking to lease a 2008 CX9 GT with a number of options. I would love it someone would share the current money factor and residual value for 3 years and 12k miles/year. Are these figures negotiable? Also, how much under MSRP should I expect to pay and what is the rationale for a large discount? Finally, I am also considering a Ford Flex - does anyone know if a better deal is possible on the Flex or on the CX9?

Thanks!
    Thanks sethnaga.

I'm still stuck on all the 'fees/charges': (1) All of a sudden I've been told that the tax in NJ is not only 7%, but they add an additional 0.4% for SUV's - is this correct?? And again, the additional fees/charges this dealer says they charge are the (1) Dealer Charge of $289 and a (2) Car Registration of $361 (they said that pays for 4yrs of registration) - can anyone confirm that this is 'reasonable'?

Right now this is the deal I can get:
    MSRP: $43,380
    Invoice: $39,568
    Price offered me: $ 34,990

Pricing comes out to Invoice minus $4,578. This seems like a pretty nice deal - although, as I've mentioned, on top of this, they add 7.4% tax, plus the $289 Doc/Dealer fee and $362 Car registration, for a total of roughly $38,200.

2008 Grand Touring AWD

GT Assistance Package
    Moonroof/Bose Stereo
    Blind Spot Monitoring
    Remote Engine Start
    Auto Dim Mirror
    Roof Rails
    Roof Crossbars - (Not sure what the pricing on this was exactly, I believe the salesman mentioned about $113 - if anyone can confirm, please do)
    Towing
    Cargo Mat
    Cargo Net
    Dual Headrest DVD Entertainment Unit - (This is an aftermarket install of an Audiovox/Advent product (model: HR7008PKG) - MSRP was $2,000 and I'm estimating the Invoice at roughly $1,685 for purposes of this pricing analysis - if anyone has more detailed pricing on this unit, I'd appreciate it.)

Let me know if this sounds right.
  • clairebclaireb Member Posts: 12
    I have been checking your posts, so thanks to you guys I managed to get the following deal:

CX-9 GT AWD, GT Assist package, Rear Seat ENT. SYS, roof rails, wheel locks, Blind Spot Monitoring System - 4 miles on the clock and perfect paintwork.

MSRP $40,865 for $33,200 before taxes, tags and fees, I did buy extended warranty as I plan to keep this car for a loooong time, and I did have to haggle for a better price for my trade-in, and it took awhile - so if you don't have a trade in you will get through it all much quicker.

But I think we got a really good deal throught the internet department of Hayward Mazda, Bay Area, California - in case anyone else in this area is thinking of getting one soon.
    I think you have got a great deal there. If you want to push little more, try to get rid off the '$289 Doc/Dealer fee'. If they don't budge, try to get some accessories etc.

If you really want to push further, don't call them and play the wait game. Tell him you are considering Acura MDX and got a better deal. It depends on how soon you want the car. Also Validate the MSRP in Edmonds. Don't trust them

However the price you got is excellent, and if you don't have time to spend, go head and buy. I don't know the NJ taxes, so validate the tax/registration numbers with some of your friends in NJ

Best of luck
  • alexandriaalexandria Member Posts: 12
    I've seen many posts about sales below MSRP on the CX9. What is the reason for this? Are cars in general just not selling so all dealers are offering cars below invoice, or is it something specific about the CX9? Thanks!
  • clairebclaireb Member Posts: 12
    SUV sales are down - suffering from higer gas prices, next years model comes out 1st September - they are trying to clear inventory.
    Here is why we can get a much better price

1) We are in a recession, so not many folks buying expensive Cars especially those that costs more than 30K
    2) CX 9 sucks on gas so many who are fuel price conscious avoid CX9.
    3) CX9 competition is much more reputed - Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander and Nissan Muranos
    4) 2009 model will soon arrive at dealer lot.

In summary dealers are desperate, but they don't show it to you when you negotiate. They just act. Never loose the big picture we have today when negotiating - Economy down, Gas price sky rocketing and these are not efficient on fuel
  • nimbusnimbus Member Posts: 19
    I'd say you got an amazing deal. Congrats.
    I am curious what they charged you for the extended warranty.
    After talking to friends, we are taking a CX-9 for a test drive this week.
    Quite a change because we were looking at a used Caddy before this. But we keep hearing how slick th CX-9's are so....
  • nimbusnimbus Member Posts: 19
    Ceric. May I ask the name of the dealership in your local paper?
    I'm not beyond traveling to get a better deal.
    $100-200 of gas vs $6k is an easy calculation.
    Thank you