Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Starting/Stalling/Idling Problems

2»

Comments

• dookiedookie Member Posts: 1
    i recently replaced the converter shield gasket. after that my rpms cannot climb past 2400 in idle or when i drive. some days the response is boggy and some days it responds fine. i checked the spark plugs got em cleaned. i took the tank off and inspected it, fuel filter was okay as well. this morning as i took the kids to school it couldnt rev past 1500 rpms.
  • ric44012ric44012 Member Posts: 2
  • ric44012ric44012 Member Posts: 2
    1996 Toyota 2.4L 4cyc. Present problem; the truck stalls after 5-10 seconds after starting when idling in place. Once the truck is moving in gear, the truck stay running. The 3 engine check lights are: P0100 Mass flow sensor error circuit, P0110 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor circuit, and P0336(P0335) Crankshaft position sensor circuit fault. History; the truck was sputtering and stalling, so I first replaced plugs, wires, rotor, cap and fuel filter. After that engine was occasionally missing while driving down highway. Took to a mechanic who replaced two of the fuel injectors. After that the engine started stalling as first mentioned. Mechanic replace Crankshaft position sensor. No change in stalling problem at startup. Any Suggestions Please?
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I have just hit 10,000 miles on my 2008 TRD Double cab 4x2 4.0 V6 and it happened again today and makes the 4th time since I bought this truck new back in May. I go to start it after my truck has been sitting for 8 or more hours and it just cranks but does not fire. I let of the key after about 10 cranks and then hit it again on the second try it cranks several times and then finally fires and then black or black on the verge of blue smokes comes pouring out of the exhaust and stinks like hell. I do not push on the gas when starting so I do not think it flooding. Any ideas would be appreciated
  • aktoyotaaktoyota Member Posts: 2
    i have a 95 toyota tacoma with a v6 3.4L in it, i had the same problem where my truck would run fine and as soon as i turned it off and let it sit, it wouldnt turn back on, i took it to a dealer and they told me it was my fuel pump and after it was replaced it still did the same thing, then they found out that the wireing harness under my seat was corroded and it wouldnt turn the fuel pump on after a while. So they re did the wiring to my fuel pump and now the problem has been solved.
  • aktoyotaaktoyota Member Posts: 2
    i have a 95 toyota tacoma with a v6 3.4L in it, i had the same problem where my truck would run fine and as soon as i turned it off and let it sit, it wouldnt turn back on, i took it to a dealer and they told me it was my fuel pump and after it was replaced it still did the same thing, then they found out that the wireing harness under my seat was corroded and it wouldnt turn the fuel pump on after a while. So they re did the wiring to my fuel pump and now the problem has been solved.
  • malinoisv7malinoisv7 Member Posts: 2
    change the ignition coil but only bay the original from toyota others not work (only DENSO brand)
  • malinoisv7malinoisv7 Member Posts: 2
    you are the men i did by the original and work perfect
  • buffer4294buffer4294 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem. It was the distributer, but you have to purchase a Toyota distributer not an aftermarket. That should take care of your problem. I went thru changing all kinds of parts before I finally figured it out. It has to be a Toyota part!!! It will miss or not run at all. Good Luck!!!
  • caseycrenshawcaseycrenshaw Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem. Same codes and everything. Believe it or not I was told the timing chain is stretched and is putting the crank and cams out of phase....I know sounds like bull, but I'm looking for a second opinion...have you tried anything else withany luck?
  • tacofevertacofever Member Posts: 2
    change the air flow sensor...you wont be dissapointed..
  • tacofevertacofever Member Posts: 2
    changed the mass air sensor...you can do it.. :)
  • chas33chas33 Member Posts: 1
    Just had the same problem. Rt sig and blower on stalls truck. I have a 99 tacoma. Found that with the blower on only I had 4V at ground of the front right turn sig. When I disconnected the blower, thus taking out the resistors and blower switch the problem would then occur with the rt signal even with the blower switch off. Found that with the blower sw off (blower hooked up) there is a path to ground via the resistor bank so the rt sig would work with the blower off. Anyway I found a broked ground located behind the fuel vapor box. There are 2 ground wires comming out of the harness that goes thru the firewall on the drivers side. Since they are protected by the black box I think some small (mouse) broke one of the wires. I fixed the ground and the problem went away. On my tacoma, starting at the front drivers side, Battery, fuse box, Vapor box. Hope this helps you.
  • mcovianmcovian Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    97 Toyota Tacoma Pickup, 2.4, Won't start when hot. Starts easily when cool.

Driving around town in 95 degree day, after the engine is stopped for 5 minutes. Won't start, engine cranks and after 5 or 6 tries the engine will start.

Disconnected the Air Filter Box Sensor and the engine started right up even though it was very hot. Drove around town, stop and go traffic and turned the engine off after 5 minutes off the engine started right up.

A new Air filter temp sensor should cost $65.00 and I expect that will solve my problem.

Thanks - Covi
  • ammon50ammon50 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings all knowing mechanics,

Background info: 2000 Toyota Tacoma, manual transmission, 4x4, single cab with canopy, silver nicknamed The Cricket.

Car won't start without a jump. Problem started a year ago. I thought the alternator was bad but it and the battery checked out at the shop I bought the battery at two years ago. They gave it a full charge and then no problem for a long time. Then it has the same problem. Fuses were good and then I noticed an ac adapter in the cigarette lighter was warm in the morning. Took that out and then it was fine for a few months. Now I notice that it starts fine if the engine is warm but if I turn it off for more than five minutes then it won't start.
    At present I turn the ignition and it might start to turn over but always it immediately; if not from the get-go, reverts to rapid clicking. I've recharged the battery but after many highway miles and a day later the problem is still there.

That's all the pertinent info I can think of. Let me know if I left anything out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ammon
  • slee5slee5 Member Posts: 6
    I have a older Toyota truck have similar problem. Is the starter turning?
    If just a click, click, It was a bad solenoid in starter. after changed starter it starts fine. You mentioned " It might start to turn over but always it immediately WHAT?? I am guessing In here, but, if engine shut off as soon as it starts, when you relax the key switch, then looking the problem in your key switch. Good luck !!
  • jtgay80jtgay80 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 Tacoma 4x4 5 speed you have to pull it off the first time you start it of the day it will not start off the key it just cranks after you pull it off it will start off the key the rest of the day i have changed fuel pump ,fuel regulator ,spark plugs ,plug wires if anyone might have an ideal what the problem is i would really appreciate any ideals
  • missykaymissykay Member Posts: 2
    My 03 toyota tacoma started having issues a yr ago...I took it to the dealer & because no codes would come up they couldnt tell what was wrong. It will lose all power, mostly after taking off from a stop or cruisin @ 25-30 mph. For awhile it was even doing it at higher speeds. Well it just kept getting worse & finally the check engine light came on. Went to another toyota dealer & they told me it could be one of several things...an O2 sensor was out, the air filter was plugged up & the mass air flow sensor was filthy. After $1200, they replaced O2 sensor, air filter, cleaned MAF, changed water pump (it was leaking) & timing belt. The next day, it was doing the stalling again. Took it back to them & they cant figure out whats wrong...they say there are no codes coming up & the MAF is reading good. I am very frustrated! They never mentioned anything to me about fuel pump, fuel filter or anything like that so Im wondering if it could be one of those? Or would that have come up on their scanner?? Please give advice!
  • missykaymissykay Member Posts: 2
    Oh and by the way, it has never actually died on me or had trouble starting...but sometimes takes several seconds to go again!
  • buffer4294buffer4294 Member Posts: 5
    I had a similar situation. It was the whole distributor going bad. The check engine light never came on. For whatever reason, an after market will not work. It has to be a Toyota part or it simply will not work. I have had this problem before on other Toyota Tacoma truck I have owned. Good luck, hope this helps!
  • taco_fixedtaco_fixed Member Posts: 1
    For those who have thrown good money after bad to fix this problem. I had the same problem and a mechanic buddy of mine gave me the magic bullett and it diddnt cost 1 cent! You need to reset the onboard computer to factory settings. Disconnecting the (-) on the battery isnt enough. Take the (-) loose and touch it to the (+) on the battery for 30 sec to one min. Reconnect the battery and take it for a drive. It solved my problem and it has not had a problem in 2 months now. :shades:
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    What you are suggesting about touching the neg. cable to + on the battery is a recipe for disaster. You can short out the entire vehicle electrical system, or produce a spark that will blow the battery up in your face.

Holding the connection for 30 sec. would be the equivalent of arc welding for that period of time, and the smoke coming out of various components would just re-enforce the old theory.........Electrical stuff runs on smoke, and when you let the smoke out, they don't work anymore!

Be careful out there.
  • jkirbjkirb Member Posts: 1
    I've been troubleshooting this truck and can't seem to find the problem. Dealer has replaced the fuel pump and we just replaced the PCM and still nothing. I need a little help diagnosing. I took out a plug and don't get a spark when turning it over. I am getting gas up to the engine compartment but no way of knowing if injecting. Is there any way to check the electrical of the EFI circuits with a volt/ohm meter? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
  • roddisroddis Member Posts: 1
    P0366 : The PCM sees that there is excessive deviation between the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor .

Check the timing with a timing light with the diagnostic plug jumped at T1 and E1, and if the timing is between 7 and 18degrees then you have a lose timing chain .

This code is telling you the PCM does not like the setting of the ignition ,so distributor or timing chain issue .

To be 100% you will need a scope to check the deviation of the crank and cam sensor.

If all checks out good then you may have a bad PCM.?
  • eburdick281eburdick281 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    I have a 06 Tacoma single cab 5 speed. sometimes on warm days when I crank it, it will start but then it will sputter and stall. if I let it sit for about half an hour or so it will crank and run fine. anyone else having these issues or can help me out?
  • ocliftonoclifton Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Toyota Tacoma V6 it cranks good when cold I've changed plugs,wires,and the battery ground the fuel pump and filter I recently changed what else should I check
  • austin0274austin0274 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Toyota Tacoma I have been having troubles with. It will only start with a jump start I put a new starter and alternator in and changed both the battery terminals and still nothing. If anyone has something that can help please
  • billiejrbilliejr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Toyota Camry XLE ,4 cylinder,,it only has 17062 miles and the engine stalls,the last stall was at 80 mph on the Interstate,I kept my foot on the gas pedal and the engine picked back up,,sometimes the stall occurs at 35mph and will start back up,any help will ne fine
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Any codes stored?
  • padee7474padee7474 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Liberia, West Africa. I own a 2010 Toyota Tacoma pickup, two doors, 4 cyl, auto trans, and no 4wd. I parked the vehicle since March, 2018 for a brake master cylinder problem initially. While waiting for the part, I also discovered it had oil pump problem. On August 24, 2018 I received both parts and installed them. Because I live in the tropics, I decided to remove the thermostat from the vehicle completely. In trying to start the truck, it gave hard starting and, when it finally did, it ran rough and couldn't idle. Each time I try to start it, it gives slight hard starting and idling problems.