Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning saturnstuck,
    I understand that you're looking for some further do-it-yourself information from the community, and I hope you're able to get this resolved! If you do end up working with a dealership, please be sure to keep in touch with us and let us know if we can look into anything further. We're happy to help in whatever ways we can.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • traciejotraciejo Member Posts: 6
    I suggest you stop spending money on things that will not work. I understand your frustration and the car has to be running to do this, but, CUT THE WHITE WIRE, at least then you will know the region of the problem. We cut the white wire months ago and the car starts every time now with no problem. When it comes time to run it through DEQ we will splice the damn wire back together long enough to pass and then disconnect it in the damn parking lot of the DEQ station. If nothing else show your mechanic the video of the white wire cutting on you-tube and then they have somewhere to start because what ever that white wire does is what is preventing your Saturn from starting.
  • saturnstucksaturnstuck Member Posts: 7
    The "white wire" fix is not any part of this equation. Since the car won't run it would not help my situation at all. Furthermore, the problem was never a passlock problem, it was a stuck key problem. I resolved that for free by simply unplugging the green connector from the ignition switch to stop the car and plugging it back in to start the car. If I had know how easy it was to put in a new ignition lock cylinder (it took 15 minutes) I would have done that ages ago. It takes 10 minutes to put in a new ignition switch. In both cases the parts are fairly cheap, under $100.00 for both.

The problem is that I did the passlock relearn and my car is still a non-starter. Now the lock indicator light does not blink for 10 minutes etc. As far as I can tell, no juice flows to the coils or starter. I pulled the fuse for the BCM and that shut down my electrical system, so the juice gets at least that far. I think it is possible that the brand new ignition switch is bad. Sadly it is not likely. But since I have a couple that I have pulled apart, cleaned and put back together, I will try that when I get home.

Beyond that I am stumped. I am very cynical about dealership repairs as I believe they just start replacing parts, from the most expensive on down until the car runs. I am anticipating a bill in excess of $1,000 once I bite the bullet and give up. This is money I truly don't have and without a car, my bank heist getaway is going to be somewhat less effective.

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Is your battery fully charged? Or has it run down while the car's not been running and you've been working on the problems.

Can you park a car next to it and put jumper cables on the underhood connections to be sure it's not the battery while you go through the relearning process?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Well, since you asked what GM could do, I have some comments:

1. GM has been around since 1908. In all that time they couldn't find a lock cylinder that does not explode inside the housing?

2. Stuck keys and a poorly designed ignition switch have left countless customers stranded, many in frightening conditions.

3. I personally have missed 4 work days, thus far, because of this issue. I have spent over 80 hours in research and repair on this problem and I have a 1,800 lb driveway ornament.

4. Even though GM has known about the problem for many years and knows that it is a design flaw, they expect customers to foot the bill for expensive repairs.

5. GM should acknowledge responsibility for the design flaws, recall and fix the problems
    edited May 2012
    Yes the battery is fully charged. I put it on a charger overnight and verified 12.2 volts with a voltage meter.

The car won't let me go through the relearn again, as the lock symbol no longer blinks. It remains steady lit for 3 - 4 seconds after a start attempt, if the key is left in the run position. Someone suggested a 30 second relearn in that case, but no go on that either.

Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    This is money I truly don't have and without a car, my bank heist getaway is going to be somewhat less effective.

I don't wish to mock your situation, but that line did make me giggle. Your only good fortune here is that this discussion is followed by a number of knowledgeable members, so keep reading & responding to their suggestions/questions, and you might be able to get to the bottom of the issue. Imidazol97 is one of those members.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mrh562008mrh562008 Member Posts: 6
    my solution to the non-starting issue was to put a remote start in my car but u have to make sure that when it is installed they MUST bypass the security system, it cost me about 350 to have it done at crutchfield and i havent had the problem since (other than the one time on a relativley chilly morning when i ddnt think to use the remote, i waas already at the car when i thought about it and i tried to use the key) ive had the remote since march and i really enjoy it now, great way to warm up the car b4 i get in it
  • janet1974janet1974 Member Posts: 2
    yesterday my car out of the blue would not start. when i turn the key there is no clicking or any noise i thought it was the battery but its not my mechanic has had it put on to computers and there are no errors but the car will not start HELP
  • saturntech9saturntech9 Member Posts: 152
    Did they check for codes in the body control module?Or did they use a basic code scanner that doesnt ready body control module codes?Also is the security light on solid or flashing while trying to start the car?
  • janet1974janet1974 Member Posts: 2
    the mechanic there says there is no fire from scan port??? does that makes since......
    also the light comes on and goes back off for the security
    So there is no power to the obd2 port?If so did he check the 15amp fuse in the inside fuse box labeled lighter?Thats the fuse that supplies power to the obd2 connector.Also make sure they have a advanced scanner that can read body control module codes.
    Hello janet1974,

I'm sorry that your Ion wouldn't start for you over the holiday weekend - I hope that you were still able to enjoy it. I see that you're currently working with a mechanic, but am unsure if this is with one of our GM dealerships. If so, we'd be happy to follow up on this with them! Please let us know.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • tlc16tlc16 Member Posts: 1
    Saturntech9 - can you send me the instructions to install the ignition switch and how to relearn the security? Thank you.
  • pamela519pamela519 Member Posts: 62
    There is a video on utube that tells and shows you step by step... I finally got rid of my saturn... I was shocked when someone gave me $1,000 for it.... No matter what we did and how much I spent it always came back to the same thing. Not running.. although the 2 saturn "techs" on here are very nice, unfortunately they don't have any power (sorry but you don't) If they haven't already they will ask you to tell your story, give them your telephone number, etc. Someone will call you up, tell you they hope to be able to help you and from my experience and much of what i've read on here over the last 18+ months, they don't....I find it hard to understand how there are so many people with the same problems... over 1000 messages about it... yet, Saturn, GM, whomever never and still refuse to do a recall. better to constantly get us in there so they can charge ridiculous sums of money. Mine was a 2005 Saturn Ion. it worked great for about 4 years. and then it didn't. you can go back and read my story.. it's all over these pages... as i said, I was finally able to sell it and I now am a happy owner of a Jetta..... I will NEVER buy a saturn or a GM product again... I got the worst treatment, spent way too much money and the car was never the same again... Try the U Tube video... once I sold the car back at the end of March, I deleted all the videos... also, another way I have been told is to cut a wire... again, look on u tube... good luck to you
  • dozensaturndozensaturn Member Posts: 41
    Cannot more than agree with what you say to "tlc16" ....
    Total spill of money taking the ION to a GM dealer, they have no clue to what is going on.
    Cut the wire, a 'dirty' trick but the vehicle will start at all times. There are too many on this site that have described how to do it and that it works ...
    The switch is not the remedy!
    The ultimate is of course to sell the failing Saturn, and whatever you do, stay away from GM - they have not helped us Saturn owners with this problem. We have weeded out the Saturn's and replacing with non-gm vehicles ...
    Good luck to you.
    Just to clarify something here someone mentioned two saturn techs on here collecting phone numbers trying to help.Those are gm customer service reps just to get that straight.Iam a saturn service tech was one for over 16yrs.Would i own a saturn ion yes i would.My niece has 2003 saturn ion has owned it since new.I replaced her igniton switch with a factory one atleast 4 years ago that was the first one i had replaced in that car.Yes there problems with the switches.Yes i have replaced a lot of them.They redesigned the switch like 3 or 4 times.The problem ran up to the 2006-2007 model year the 2007 was the last year of the saturn ion.I replaced a friends 2006 saturn ion ignition switch about 2 years ago for no starts with a auto zone one that i think is made by wells.It still starts perfect as well as my nices 03.I wouldnt cut any wires especially knowing the fix is a simple one like replacing the ignition switch.There super cheap on amazon you can get a acdelco one for cheap.Tlc16 whats your email address?I will email you instructions and how to relearn the pass lock.
    edited July 2012
    SaturnTech9,
    I am with you in regard to the switch. Redesigned 3 or 4 times? Did they change part number, or how can the most recent design be identified?
    I have changed a total of 3 over the years, 2 bought at a GM dealer and 1 at Rockauto. One of the GM dealer sourced switches was 'bad' right out of the box, the other two are still functioning ...
    Total ION miles driven well over 1,000,000.
    With the exception of the starting problem, the only other problem was keys stuck in ignition on most of ours. Saturn was no help there. Changed 8 or 9 ION's at our expense.
    Biggest problem has been lack of support by GM (including Saturn when they were still there) to solve these irritating problems.
    Other than that, the Saturn brand was a good brand, from day one to the end. We were indeed sorry to see them go!
  • mrh562008mrh562008 Member Posts: 6
    I still say go with the remote start, it cost me about $350 but it was well worth it being as i havent had to scramble around to switch vehicles last minute on the way to work or a drs appt or something of that sort, i had it installed in march and used the remote alot when it was a little chilly, i havent really been using it lately tho being as it has been pretty warm and since the remote doesnt go thru the alarm it doesnt mess w the passlock at all which ive come to believe is the true problem. when i do use the remote the car is already started at the point when i put the key n the ignition ill keep updating as the year goes on but i think ive only had the no start problem once since i got the remote (and that was my fault for not pushing the button instead of using the key to begin w) so one no start in 4 months i cn live w that, thats for sure
  • daniekadanieka Member Posts: 1
    Can you please contact me regarding this problem as soon as possible. I do not want to throw money away on unecessary fixes that do not work. Please email me at mzznieka@yahoo.com.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    danieka,
    Please email your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and complete contact information to me. I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • ohio85ohio85 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2003 ion. ive had it for 4 years now. up until this present summer i only had starting problems in cold weather. but now its doing it in warm weather also. i have to wait 14 minutes before i can attempt to start my vehicle again. if i only wait 13 minutes the vehicle will not start and then i have to wait another 14 minutes. my mechanic has no idea of how to fix this problem. ive read on here people suggesting cutting a white wire, replacing the ignition or buying a remote start. can anyone tell me what the best option is from their experience?
    Iam very familar with this problem saturn has a bulletin for it in fact.When the ignition switches fail they usually fail and cause a no start when outside temp reaches 40 degrees or lower.What happens is the grease in the switch starts to become a solid and then skews the pass lock sensor readings causing a no start.Then as it gets worse it can happen at warmer temps.So when it doesnt start is the security light on solid or flashing?Also what i can tell is have the guy scan your body control module for codes if he has a more advanced scanner he cando this.If there is a B2960 and or B3033 then you would replace the ignition switch.Also i have seen the no starts with bad ignition switches without any codes.It just all depends how long its been happening etc.
  • ohio85ohio85 Member Posts: 2
    thank you so much for your quick response. as for my security light- i never turn the ignition all the way until the security light goes out. ive found in the past if i try to start the car too quickly it will surely not start. the only thing that i see different is the "service vehicle" light flashes when the no-start problem occurs. its so frustrating. this is my 3rd saturn. the other two were older and didnt have any alarm system at all. i loved those cars. thats why i bought another saturn this time around. i'll definitely have to take my car elsewhere, as my mechanic has equipment circa 1950. haha. im pretty sure this is why he's so cheap.
  • ionownerionowner Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just bought a 2007 Saturn Ion and I have been having two issues. The alarm goes off every five to twenty minutes without anyone touching the car (and without fail!). I have been locking the car with my key so as to not set the alarm...but does anyone know what might be wrong?

On what seems to be a related note, when I am driving the car continuously tries to lock itself.

Any help would be appreciated!
  • jendsks77jendsks77 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Saturn Ion my ignition switch sticks & it's currently locked up. My situation is different bc the key isn't stuck in the ignition, I can get the key in but can't get out outta lock mode, very very frustrating. It's currently @ the mechanic now he's charging 200+ includes fee for the locksmith to code the key CAN SOMEONE PLZ TELL ME THE CODE TO SAVE ME SOME MONEY THAT I DON'T HAVE!!!! It's hard as hell to find someone to work on a saturn without going to dealer & them fools wanna charge 90-100 just to diagnosis even when we know the issue!!! HELP ME PLZ & thank u!!!
  • jendsks77jendsks77 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Saturn Ion & the ignition cylinder unit has locked up & needs replaced. Very expensive to take to a mechanic. I need the code to reset after the cylinder has been changed, can anyone help me?
    The key code has to come from the dealer data base from your vin number.If you can turn the cylinder i can tell you how to remove it.That way you can remove the cylinder and pop the tumblar door off to see what the tumblar numbers are.Have you tried taping on the key hole with a hammer to get the cylinder to turn?It that doesnt work insert the key and lightly tap on the key to see if it turns that way.Those methods usually work for me.
    With the two symptoms together its going to be ethier a bad door jamb switch or a bad body control module.
  • katanyakatanya Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    I understand you are a Saturn tech. I have a 2003 Saturn Ion and I am having so many problems with it. The main thing though is have it in right now because both my turn signals no longer work on it. It is not bulbs, the dealer is saying Body Control Module. They tell me it could cost upwards of $600 to start. I am unemployed right now so I do not have a lot of money, and I need my car for interviews. I am really worried. I could not find any recalls except for one, but dealer says won't help. I have never had so many problems with one car!! I just had the ignition problem you mentioned and the key still is sticking all the time. I have an oil change light that will never seem to go off, they have tried. I have a remote start that does not work except the one time it went off out of nowhere. I have had the alarm go off by itself too. Is there anything Saturn can do to help? I am a little concerned about the one safety recall with the BCM, because we are going to be having a child leaving with us soon as well.

Thanking you in advance for your help.
  • cgauldingcgaulding Member Posts: 2
    As a quick fix, would a shot of WD40 or some other solvent help?
    If the issue is the solidification of grease, this should loosen up that grease and allow the connection. I would think... anyway.
    I had this issue early on with my Saturn and the dealer fixed it. However, about 3 years later the problem emerged again.
    Or at least I think its the same thing. When I turn the key, I usually get the engine to turn over, but before it has a chance to start, it shuts off, and then I can't even get a click out of the ignition. It seems very similar to what happened before, but the fact that it tries to turn over confuses me.
    Also, oddly enough, it seems if I try to jump the car off, it seems to override the problem and I can get it started. Eventually I changed the battery and the problem went away, but after about 5 months, its back, with a vengeance. I am going to try wd40 tonight, and see if that helps with starting tomorrow. Maybe blasting it with a heat gun for 5 min might help as well?
  • mojo22mojo22 Member Posts: 5
    Check to see if the Passlock light is on before you start it. The same thing happened to me; engine would turn over, catch, and then shut right down.

The passlock light was on on the instrument panel.

I would have to disconnect the battery (positive side) to interrupt power to the passlock system, reconnect the batttery, and it would start normally on my '03 Ion. I've had to do it about 3-4 times over the past 4 years.

Of course when I called the 800 number for Saturn to talk to a Tech, they kept asking me if I would like to schedule an appointment. I tried to tell them, "No, I can't start the car to get it to the appointment."

There is an inherent design flaw in this system that they won't address. They just want to get you into the shop, and randomly swap out components and charge you exorbitant amounts of money and not solve the problem.

Can't wait to dump this thing.
  • cgauldingcgaulding Member Posts: 2
    I am getting a lot of good info here, and I will try watching for the passlock light. This is my drive to work car, and it has had a beating, but its still a good car in every sense except this. But hey, if I can't drive the danged thing, then whats the point of having it!!!
    Disconnecting the battery is not something I have thought to try,I know that adding electricity (jumping) sometimes seems to help, so disrupting it should also help.
    I just got a email that you sent me a message to answer your queston th ogh if it is a bad ignition switch you just replace the switch there is no repairing it.There pretty cheap and easy to replace the switch they habe them on amazon for a good price.You just have to relearn the pass lock after replacin it when it doesnt start is the security light on solid or flashing?
  • canotechewycanotechewy Member Posts: 1
    saturntech9!! I need help! I have an 06 Saturn Ion and my ignition switch needs to be replaced. I am a fairly savvy mechanic when it comes to some things and I think I could do the replacement of I had the right part. Could you give me a link to the right one on amazon and maybe some tips/basic instructions?
    I'm becoming more and more frustrated by the day with this stupid thing.
    Acdelco D1461f amazon has the best price great neck 51063 iswhat i use to replace the switch itself.Pop the top ignition cover off the ignition housing then only remove the left lower cover there is 7mm screw holding it on.Then unplug the switch and remove the screws to the switch i use the tool i mention to do th at.Then put the new one in then plug it in.Now you relearnthe pass lock sensor try to start it then let the key go back to the run position let it there till the security light stops flashing or turns off.Then turn the switch off for 5 seconds then try to start it again you do this a total of three times and after the third cycle it should start.
  • mortonkmortonk Member Posts: 9
    Hello! I have a 2006 Saturn Ion Redline that is also having an ignition problem. First, the key wouldnt turn off. Then, it got stuck. We finally got it out and tried to replace the cylinder, but now it needs to come out, and it is stuck! It started out not starting when it was cold. Can you give me any advice? No one around here seems to know what they are doing. My email is mortonk69@msn.com.

Thank you in advance.
    Kimberly
    I really need some information about how to get my 2006 Saturn Ion Redline fixed. I feel like I have already had to search out and pay for unnecessary parts.

Thank you,
    Kimberly
    Hi. My Saturn has the same problem. How did you get it fixed and did you ever find the code?

Mortonk69@msn.com

Thank you
    While trying to replace the old cylinder lock, the new one that was just put in got stuck and we can't get it out! Does anyone have any pointers on how to get it out please? Is it going to involve removing the steering because that is a whole other mess?!?! Please help!

Thank you!
    Kimberly
    So you replaced the ignition cylinder already?What positions does the key turn to?
    Saturntech9 - we are trying to install a new switch, but now that it is in there, it needs to come out and won't! Can you help please?

Also, can you give me instructions about how to do ithe installation properly and all about the relearn process please.

Thank you,
    Kimberly
    Mortonk69@msn.com
    The key won't turn at all, and now the cylinder lock robert cone back out either. Thank you for your response.
  • brava58brava58 Member Posts: 27
    edited October 2012
    I am taking my car in to the shop this week... I want to get it straight just what I need to tell my mechanic.

My car, like others, is not starting at random times. Is it an ignition switch or ignition cylinder that needs to be replaced on the saturn ions? Or should I just go and get a remote starter?

Thanks.
    Good morning brava58,

Is your shop one of our GM dealerships? If so, we're available to follow up on the appointment with them! Let us know - we can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    If you replaced the cylinder and now it wont turn that means the tumblar door came off and jambed up cylinder.So now you need a new ignition housing and cylinder.This time make sure the tumblar door is staked correctly so it wont happen again.
    If the security light is on when it wont start then its most likely a bad ignition switch.Have your body control module scanned for codes if you have a code B2960 and or B3033 then i would replace the ignition switch.The number one fix is the ignition switch they sell a ac delco switch on amazon for under 30.The switch is easy to change.
    edited October 2012
    Yes, the security light and all the "service vehicle" lights go on. I believe it is the ignition switch too. This happened months after I got the car, and it was replaced in '04. I will bring the codes to my mechanic.

Thanks for your reply.
    edited October 2012
    I went to my mechanic armed with codes and they rolled their eyes and said... "oh yeah, the internet..." I told them I had been living and breathing this problem and had codes, etc... They insisted on a diagnostic test and guess what? It came back with the same codes as as saturntech9 had told me. Thankfully, they decreased the charge for the diagnostic test by 50%.

So, it is fixed, went out today at 40 degrees and started. Please let it last!!!!
    Good for you ...
    Just keep in mind, the temperature has nothing to do with the starting problem .... it happens when the morning temperature is 90 as well!
    Let's hope the $30 or less delco part will last you a 'long time', if it fails at least you know how to fix it.