Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

Comments

• saturnpainsaturnpain Member Posts: 7
    thnks sarah i went to my gm dealer here in springfield,il they did recall work on my car.they said probly the bcm.is there any kind of recall on that for the no start problem im past frustrated if it wasnt so cold today i would have traded it off for something different.i can send you my information for me and my car.i dont mind paying to have it checked and maby an hour of labor they said bcm may be up to $300 still with no guarantees it will fix it.ive see so many people frustrated with this and i know i have im been loyal gm fan my whole life and i am almost ready to go in a whole new direction.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Good morning saturnpain,

We would be happy to check into your vehicle's information further to see if there are any recalls. If you haven't already, send us your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership to socialmedia@gm.com

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    i took my 2007 saturn ion to chevy dealer they gave me estimate of $500 dollars.they they tested it and found it was a bad bcm.they had one in stock and price went up to $768.00 they put new new bcm in today and are having problems programming it. so still dont know if its going to solve problem.got this response.Jason,

I have just spoke with the dealership and unfortunately the BCM is something that is normally covered under the bumper to bumper warranty which is 3yrs/36,000 miles. I am sorry but we will not be offering cost assistance for the repair. However, I would be happy to follow up with you after repairs are completed.

Regards,

GM Customer Assistance
    So will be out of the money to replace a faulty bcm part. all i wanted was for them to supply part. so because of a $400 they will lose one of their most loyal customers they have ever had have owned a gm car or truck for the last 12 to 14 years straight.im going to post my experience to every site i can and make my complaints to all the regular sites safer car.gov (NHTSA) and filed a complaint. i know it wont do any good. Following declaration of Chapter 11/363 Bankruptcy, General Motors needed to completely redefine its established brand image, which appeared to consumers as faceless, nameless, outdated and impenetrable. The new GM brand structure would require a more accessible and transparent feeling in order to help humanize the brand.

Social Media Solution: Build a diverse social media team, with CEO engagement and support, to handle all logistical/management social media operations, which allow the newly defined GM brand mentality of openness and engagement to be clearly communicated and fully accessible to the media, to the general public, and most importantly, to customers.
  • dozensaturndozensaturn Member Posts: 41
    You got it right!

Move on, that is move away from GM ...
    They are of no help or assistance to Saturn owners. Have bought a total of 17 Saturns between 2000 and 2008 - weeding them out, replacing with non-gm products like Ford, Nissan and Subaru ...
    Done with buying GM - as simple as that.
    Too bad they got you on the BCM. It will be interesting to see if it actually will make your vehicle perform as it should - I have my doubts.
    Good Luck to you.
  • mke414mke414 Member Posts: 1
    I too have been struggling with my 2005 Saturn Ion for the last 3 years. It simply would not start when the weather got below 30 degrees and it sat for more than 10 hours. The key ignition was replaced and I was constantly told that my battery was fine. I was recommended to take my car to an auto shop that specializes in electric car systems. They had to keep my car for 2 days to test the electrical system but found that after the car was shut off the radio fuse continued to pull from the battery. Between the fuse pulling from the battery and the cold weather, the battery would go dead. Took the fuse out and it has worked fine. It is 0 out and it sat for a day and it started just fine. Thought I'd pass on my experience, perhaps others are having similar issues. It cost less than $200 to get it tested. Only problem is I don't have a radio but I'd rather keep my car for 3-4 more years without having a car payment and have it start than have a radio.
    got car back last night they had to get another bcm after several programming errors they had to contact tac. tac mannually created new program for vehical. friday they called friday eve car still would not start.they gave me car to drive till monday where they replaced a switch 22620888 and it finally started.so at least have a running car so far.
  • lfucinalfucina Member Posts: 1
    i bought my car brand new. had nothing but problems with everything electrical. when i was driving everything would just shut down. well, that problem was fixed in 2008 by the dealer. since then, the interior lights would go on by themselves and stay on. solution, take the bulbs out. when i set the alarm, it goes off by itself with nothing around! now, on a daily basis my car will not start. not a battery problem, not a being cold thing because it happens in the summer, in the garage too. i think it may be the passlock system. have had it put on a computer at least 3 times since the beginning of 2012 and no codes show up....help? thank you! :mad:
    Glad to hear about your progress, saturnpain! Keep those updates coming!
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • etothevetothev Member Posts: 4
    hello to anyone looking for the answer to this mystery to get your car you paid for to actually start up when you need it to. (what a concept eh?)

I had this same problem all winter long, and luckily I found this link when researching before taking it to a mechanic.

it is a problem with the PASSLOCK system. They used TINY wires, which get faulty after the cold messes with them enough times.

anyway, all you have to do is CUT this passlock wire WHILE the car is running. This will trick the car into starting up EVERY SINGLE TIME.

i have had NO problems for 3 years now. my car fires up everytime, and I have not had to replace one battery, fuel ignition, starter ect with 154000 miles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5AGhFWcBw

there is the youtube link that saved my cars life.

this has a very good car except for this flaw and the 5-speed manuals have a horrible shifting linkage and pin. I've had the shifting/cotter pin fall out/crack/break on me 10 different times to where I had to get towed.

either way...this WILL be your PERMANENT HASSLE FREE fix. I don't care what mechanics tell you ,they just want your money. Do this FREE, SIMPLE fix, NOW!!hope this helps someone, as I struggled for a whole winter very pissed off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5AGhFWcBw
  • toulouse21toulouse21 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Saturn Ion was not starting intermittently. My husband had it towed to the dealership yesterday and they tell us we need a Body Control Module for $931. I can find a BCM online for $45. What's up with that?
  • mojo22mojo22 Member Posts: 5
    I have an '03 Ion also. Getting ready to do the "cut the white wire trick." Watch it on YouTube first.

The car will give us starting problems intermittently. Don't give Saturn/GM one penny. This is an inherent design flaw that should have generated a recall.

There is plenty of information on this forum to deal with the problem.

I called Saturn when it first started happening. All they wanted to do was schedule me for an appointment. I told them "I can't get the !@#$%^& car into the dealership if I can't get it started." I then told them I need to speak to a technician. They wouldn't or couldn't do it, and asked again if I wanted to make an appointment.

Next time buy a Japanese car. I've owned Nissan, Toyota, and Subaru, and would take any of them over an American made car.
  • saturntech9saturntech9 Member Posts: 152
    Whats up with that is your 45 bcm is used not installed also that bcm will change the miles on your car.Also its not installed and does include diagnoses.The one for 931 is new includes diagnoses installation and programing.Ask the dealer if the bcm had any codes in it?If so let me know what codes it has the exact codee numbers not code descriptions?If you have a B2960 and or B3033 you need a new ignition switch.Does it not start when it gets cold outside 40 degrees or colder?But warmer weather starts ok?
    Toulouse,
    Read the etothev and mojo22 comments .... You have the answer without spending the $931 that the gm dealer is 'recommending' ....
    Over 1,000,000 miles on our ION's and yes, the starting problem has been on several ...'03, '04's and '05's.
    Like several others that have commented, stay away from gm, they have not earned your loyalty the way they handled this specific saturn problem - known since the vehicles were under warranty and nothing was done!
    Have a few more to 'dispose-trade' and replacing with US built 'import' brands ...
    Good Luck with your '03 ION
  • sunneegalsunneegal Member Posts: 5
    After spending $750 on a new starter box and battery, thought a new key for $2.50 solved the problem. Alas, it started again, at the Goodyear dealer in for an oil change; it wouldn't start when I went to leave. The manager used to work at Saturn and said he knew exactly what I needed........ a new Passlock/Sensor Ignition Switch, $90 and $90 for the labor. If that works, will wait a month, will have a real issue with the mechanic who replaced a starter box ($550) that wasn't necessary. This blog has been an amazing help. I told the mechanic about cutting the white wire, as suggested in an earlier blog... he agreed that would work but wasn't the right way to do it (also he wouldn't make any money on it). Hope this helps. My situation was that the car wouldn't start, but would 15 minutes later...... a very strange situation.
    The ignition switch is the number one fix for the night starts especially if it happens when its less then 40 degrees out.
  • mhs48128mhs48128 Member Posts: 1
    I traded in my 2003 several years ago. GM would never acknowledge this problem existed at all. Dealer replaced 2 ignition switches under warranty. Tried new keys. The problem came back. Car won't start? Try again in 15 minutes. Then starts 90% of the time. Dump this lemon. Buy a Ford or Toyota. You will have no problems.
  • darrellw32darrellw32 Member Posts: 1
    my name is Darrell i rescentley purchassed my 2006 satur ion 3 from DRIVE TIME biggest mistake . when it is really cold out .I have power but will not start by any chance did u have the same problem
    darrellw32,
    We're sorry that you're encountering some troubles on your new Ion. Are you working with a dealership at all to get this checked into? Let us know if we can answer any questions regarding working with a dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Does the security light stay on solid or flash with the key in the run position when it doesn't start?If so most likely you have a bad ignition switch its a well known problem and there is a bulletin on the problem.
    Darrell,

The gm dealers are typically clueless' when it comes to this problem, you will be spending too much money on their diagnostic (to a problem they should be well aware of ...) then too much money for the repair. Instead follow the postings here and you will no doubt find the solution to this well known ION problem. Good Luck with your ION.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    Right.

The poster should read back through the last year of posts. I recall the procedure for repairing has been posted a couple of times.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• oblio9oblio9 Member Posts: 19
    Cut the white wire. Did it 4 years ago, haven't had a problem since.
  • traciejotraciejo Member Posts: 6
    I also cut the white wire over a year ago and have not had a problem since but it is coming up on the time to get the car DEQ'd and I do not know if that is going to be a problem because the security light is always on now and when you first start the car it says to service engine soon. Have you had to get yours DEQ'd and did it matter?
  • pdeprangpdeprang Member Posts: 1
    I changed my ignition switch about a year ago, now my car will not start. It may be my alternator, but I'm not sure. if is hoe much is a new alternator?
    One recommendation ...
    Stay away from a gm diagnostic ... just money spent for a well known problem. I would replace the ignition switch - they are known to go bad.
    If you cannot do the repair yourself, turn to a independent shop. Also, take your time and search postings of this problem - you will find some very good recommendations ... Good Luck
  • chrisanchrisan Member Posts: 1
    I dealt with this problem. Each year it got worse. Finally decided to cut the white wire. Viola!!! My car has started everyday rain, snow, sleet and haul. Just put tape over the pass lock light!
    Chrisan,
    Congrats!
    Don't you wish you had done it sooner, like long time ago ...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Please take a few minutes to answer our survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

It's really important for us to hear from our members and visitors to get direction going forward. Only good things are planned for the future, but we need to gather insights to get there! Whether it's your first time or you're a regular, we'd love to hear from you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• brava58brava58 Member Posts: 27
    edited April 2013
    That's great if you don't mind the light on on the dash and need to have your car inpsected yearly. It wouldn't pass inspection in Va. with that constantly on as a warning.
  • hiredgoonthughiredgoonthug Member Posts: 2
    Hey all, I'm having trouble starting my Saturn Ion 2, 2005 sedan. I've read through so many of these posts but I'm not sure what fix would be the best for me and I'm thinking it could just be the battery too!

Background; I have a 2005 Saturn Ion 2. I had the stereo and front headlight replaced under warranty. The stereo wouldn't work after rain or snow. The CD player was fine, but no radio. They fixed it for me but I still have the same problem to this day. It is rare and will work after a little while so I'm not worried about this.

I also hit a snowbank slipping on ice pretty soon after getting the car. Minor wheel-well damage they repaired for me, but my car seemed to have bad alignment ever since. My key will get stuck in the ignition and I'll have to wait for the steering wheel to click so I can get the key out. Sometimes this is really quick, sometimes I have to sit for a while. Sometimes I just wiggle the wheel. Sometimes I have to restart the car and turn the car around. A mechanic told me these cars have this issue and it's not worth fixing as it'll happen again, so I just dealt with it and got used to it.

Lately it's been taking a while to get the key out so I'll leave it in the car. Last night I forgot the key in the car. I didn't realize it until I was at work and my girlfriend called to say she thought the battery was dead (I took her car to work that day, she needed to use mine).

So I leave work early to come jump the car for her. I first tried starting it to see what happened. I turn the key to just before turning the engine on and it clicks several times. The lights on the dash flicker but nothing happens. Same thing when I try to get the engine to turn on, flickering and clicks. The dash shows the normal start-up lights (engine, breaks, etc.) but not the security light (so no cutting white wire if I could even start it up). It also flashes the No Trac message (like when I have TC off).

So is it the ignition, the starter, the battery or the passlock?

Thanks for your help!

-David N.
    The key not turning off is caused by a bad micro switch at the base of the shifter it comes with the shift inter lock at the base of the shifter.fixing it will last a long time as far as the no start you probably ran the battery down leaving the key on.I would check all the fuses and have the battery charged and tested.The security lightning on solid or flashing is it?
  • hiredgoonthughiredgoonthug Member Posts: 2
    Thanks mate! The security light flashed I believe, only a couple of times like it always does when I start the car (now I'm blanking on this). Got the battery tested and you were right, dead battery. So relieved it wasn't something expensive. It also got me to sign up for AAA, just in case! Thanks for the response!
  • melaniea73melaniea73 Member Posts: 2
    We recently purchased a 2006 Saturn Ion 2 for my daughter, who is a college student. We had never heard of this problem but she's experience it multiple times. Yesterday, the car did this 3 times in a row, causing her to be late for a college class, and this wasn't the first time. Her problem isn't in cold or damp weather either. It seems very random, can't seem to pinpoint any trigger that causes this to happen.

How this been going on for so many years, with so many models and GM not have had to be held responsible?

I just found out that a family member has had the same problem with their Malibu. 2 different garages worked on 3 different things, all a waste of over $1000 before a hobby mechanic told them what was wrong. Those family members could have used that money to pay for vital prescription medication.
  • notlkhnotlkh Member Posts: 6
    Can you document (say here) what the hobby mechanic said what was wrong with the Malibu? The more models that can be documented with this issue, perhaps we can finally get some action from GM.

My Saturn finally had the stop starting issue about a month ago while having an oil change. A mechanic their said "it was my starter going bad" off the top of his head, although I pointed out it would start 11 minutes after it last stopped starting. Again, the "10 minute" consistent delay to me is indicative of a digital timing issue once it fails the first time.
  • melaniea73melaniea73 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently sitting in the car trying the "relearn" technique. How am I going to know of this really works though since it's happening so randomly? When I turn the ignition to on but the engine not running, the passlock light only stays on a few seconds. I'm not afraid to cut the white wire but I am afraid that it will just cause more problems. The car does have a starter and door lock remote that was added after market. I have no way of knowing if hey bypassed the security system when they installed it. The car does not have power windows and I assume it did not come with a door lock remote since the one we have is for the after market one. That remote doesn't open the trunk either, though it's supposed to. I have to leave for work before my daughter leaves for classes and she will have a nervous breakdown if it won't tart again tomorrow.
    Action from GM ... Wishful thinking - that's all that is.
    Sad part about it is they KNOW, but have no intention to assist or do anything about it except recommend getting the vehicles to a gm dealer for diagnostic test ... all the postings about batteries, starters and so on ,,,, only confirms how clueless mechanics and gm dealers are about this problem. Take your time, read thru porstings after postings and you will come across the problem, then you (or your independant, local mechanic - not a gm dealer) can assist you and your car will start 100% of the time thereafter, cold, rainy or warm and hot days alike! Good luck.
  • joes12joes12 Member Posts: 2
    I noticed if I gun the accelerator,the car gets an engine light and slows down to no faster than 35...a bit dangerous if I'm in traffic! Brought it to the mechanic,they got a code PO 106 and put in a new map sensor. They told me if it happens again that it's probably the throttle body,but then a parts place told me it might just be a throttle sensor. Well it did it again and I've got to go get the engine light shut off again...what gives?
    What year model and engine do you have?
  • joes12joes12 Member Posts: 2
    2005,I think it's a 2.2 or something.
  • bassoonjoebassoonjoe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Ion 3, automatic transmission with roughly 125,000 miles and generally well-kept with regular maintenance. I used to live in Michigan, and while up there, it would intermittently refuse to start in extreme cold. Figuring it was the temperature disagreeing with the battery, I got a new battery less than a year ago. Now, I live in Tennessee, and even in summer temperatures now, the car refuses to start roughly once per week now. Bear in mind, I drive this car a lot--multiple starts every day.

By "refuse to start," this is what I mean: the first time I turn the key the engine "coughs." It's as if the starter tries and promptly gives up. After this, turning the key results in absolutely nothing (no clicks, no coughs, nothing!) from the engine, but all cabin electronics are fully functional. The only solution is to sit and wait. It takes 10 to 20 minutes of waiting and pumping the gas pedal to finally successfully convince the engine to start. Some attempts result in false starts, where it sounds like the engine turns over over but then doesn't actually run.

The worst part of this is how unpredictable it is. Two days ago, I went to the grocery store (first trip of the day), and it was fine. It wasn't till trying to leave the store 45 minutes later that it decided to cough out. Fifteen minutes, 4000 gas pedal pumps and five key turns later (two coughs, two false starts and one successful start), it turned over and ran. I ran four more separate errands, and it had no trouble starting. This issue seems totally random, so I can't show a mechanic what is happening.

Fuel system? Starter? Alternator? Murphy's law? Why does my car randomly have these dead starts?
    Most likely its a bad ignition switch I have replaced tons of them for those same symptoms. See if the body control module as a B2960 and or B3033?If so bad ignition switch have the codes checked after a no start.
  • brava58brava58 Member Posts: 27
    There is a lot to read through here, I know I've done it to find answers. The answer is the ignition switch. That is the $10,000. answer. I got a new one over a year ago and no problems since. I totally understand how crazy it makes you.
  • ken1212ken1212 Member Posts: 1
    I just read that Best Buy has a remote starter with a bypass for the passlock system. Cost is about $250. Has anyone heard about if this is true?
    Honestly it's easier and cheaper just to replace the ignition switch last time I looked amazon had the switch for under 20.the most common reason for the random no starts is the ignition switch.I have worked on these cars since they came out in 2003 and know them well.
  • musicalminionmusicalminion Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an '05 Saturn Ion 1 about 3 weeks ago from a dealership, and bought a two year extended warranty. A few days ago it wouldn't start. Wouldn't even turn over. The only lights that appeared on the dash were the "Service Engine" and "Passlock" lights: both solid. I had my car towed to the dealership where I held the warranty, and told them about my problem.

Backtracking: immediately after buying the car, I noticed it had problems taking the key out of the ignition sometimes. Other times, it's hard to pull out, like it sticks a bit in there. The car will turn on fine, but when turning it off, it gets stuck in the Acc position. So, I thought maybe the ignition cylinder had gone bad, but the dealership can't replicate the problem, so they are reluctant to do anything to it. I thought maybe that was the reason it wouldn't start too.

They get back with me at the end of the day I brought it into the shop, and tell me the fuse box is bad, and I need a new one, and it's not covered by warranty. Now, I just bought this car not three weeks ago. They're giving me a $300 discount, but I'm still stuck with a $560 fee on a car I just bought. Which I think is unfair, and really low for them to pull. On top of that, they're not going to pay for my rental since the car is not under warranty for this repair, and they are requiring me to return it immediately. Nothing in my warranty clause says they only pay for a certain number of days, it only says "while the car is in the shop." ON top of that, I took it in Thursday, and they won't get it done until Monday evening. For a fuse box.

I've looked on Saturn forums to see if that might be the answer, but I can't find anything that says other people have had the same problem. With others, it's usually the passlock. However, I waited the 10-15 minutes people have, but the car still wouldn't start. So, I guess my question is, does this seem like a reasonable issue for it not starting?
    If it has a code B2960and or B3033 in the body control module which is what there talking about replacing then you need a new ignition switch to fix the starting concern.I have replaced very few body control modules and tons of ignition switches. There is a bulletin for this.Also for the key not turning off you need to replace the shift interlock solenoid.Iam a factory trained Saturn tech and have worked over 16yrs on these cars at the dealer.So I know these cars well.
    When you get over the all to common problem with the key and the starting issues, you will find the ION to be dependable car ... but like so many others, you were taken by the dealership as they have no clue of how to solve this problem, with our without recreating the issue of key-stuck, will-not-start etc. One of the best sources seems to be the Saturntech - certainly knows what is going on. Our several remaining ION's are now well over 100,000 miles, and runs great - no more key and start problems (has been repaired - not by the clue less Saturn or nowadays GM dealer - but by an independent shop that cared, and was interested enough to assist and get the problem solved!
    So sorry you got taken by the dealer where you bought the car and spent extra money on extended warranty ... then got little to no help. Good luck
  • sueupstnysueupstny Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 Saturn Ion that the key gets stuck in the ignition, the car shuts off but can't get the key out of the ignition and won't go to off position. I have found that if I turn the car on and put it in drive and then back to park it will release but sometimes it takes 5 or 6 times...don't know if it is related or just dumb luck, and am afraid someday this will not work. Can you tell me how to fix this?
    Its a bad micro switch bellow the shifter assembly.Do you want the part number of the part?
  • sueupstnysueupstny Member Posts: 5
    I would like that very much, thank you