Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

Comments

• fixmysaturnfixmysaturn Member Posts: 15
    here is a youtube video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5AGhFWcBw

and here are directions written out along with links to photos
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1137a7/176!keywords=#MSG176
  • madadam2madadam2 Member Posts: 1
    What ended up being the problem? I think my car is having a similar problem
  • blucatblucat Member Posts: 7
    It appears to be the PC board and contacts at the end of the ignition switch. It appears that the lubricant becomes gummy and prevents good contact and affects the security system. Later in the day, of after delay(s) before attempting to restart, it will make contact and start as if normally.

Cutting the white wire (while it is running!!) prevents the system from looking at this device so as not to interrupt the starting/running of the engine.

That may not be completely accurate but it is my understanding of the problem.

When warm weather comes, I'm going to dig into it further on my own . Good luck to you!
  • canadianaycanadianay Member Posts: 7
    I cut the white wire about 1 year ago.
    Never had another trouble since, just reporting back from cold Montreal Canada.
    My 2003 ion now has 250,000 Km on it and it is still running like new.
    I drive to work and back every day.
  • kat_gkat_g Member Posts: 1
    Wow...sounds like all of you have had headaches with these vehicles, and I have been looking to buy one.....a big 'hummmm'
  • icecreammanicecreamman Member Posts: 4
    If any of you are low on cash and can't afford the dealer and do not want to cut wires. You can go to Harbor Freight tools and for about $9 you can get a small heater that plugs into your cigarette lighter socket. You can hold this heater on the bottom of the steering column and in a couple minutes your vehicle should start.
  • icecreammanicecreamman Member Posts: 4
    yes..besides start issues they have front end problems and now they are going out of business!!
  • 31esteban0731esteban07 Member Posts: 1
    I have traded a 98 camaro for an 03 ion quad coupe. When i first got this car(i live in michigan) I have been having the no start problem in the cold. I have always activated the factory alarm before i knew about this. After a few weeks of locking the doors manually not using the alarm I was able to start the car in 20 degree weather with no problem what so ever. Ive been doing this for 2 weeks now Im not worried about not having an alarm on my car oh well beats the having to wait more then 10 minutes to have the car start up. Ive had the ignition locking up on me and not being able to start The ignition turning but got a no start all with in one week due to that damn factory alarm
    Try not putting your alarm on for a few weeks and tell me what you guys have experienced
    Seems that you're on to the source of the problem. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure this will help those of us who are uneasy about "cutting the white wire"!
  • silylenesilylene Member Posts: 1
    2004 Ion, exactly as everyone else, 6 times now....always starts 10 mins later. Thanks for the videos and pictures, I will do the same procedure. I'll report back and let you know if it works
  • larry146larry146 Member Posts: 1
    MY 04 SATURN ION HAS A PROBLEM STARTING FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW I DRIVE SOME WHERE FINE TRY TO START IT NOTHING 10 MIN LATER IT STARTS.WORKS ACOUPLE OF DAYS DOES IT AGAIN WONT START 10 MIN LATER IT WILL START OF AND ON.GETING TIRED OF IT
  • probsolverprobsolver Member Posts: 4
    When driving my 2004 Saturn Ion 1, if my knee or hand bumps into the key chain with the key in the ignition while running, the car will completely shut off. Not just a graze, but bumping into it.

Is this related to the ignition switch pass lock problem? I have that random problem, too.

For the pass lock ignition starting problem, I had an acuaintace with the same problem and model just get a loose screw and starter tightened and it solved the passlock starting problem--for free!!!

Thanks!

I was wondering if this is related?
  • joyceee123joyceee123 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my ION for about 5-6 years and never had this problem with it starting until about 3 months ago. I was unaware that it was a problem for so many others. I had a new battery and starter installed so needless to say I'm quite agitated. I just spent 15 minutes in the parking lot because it wouldn't start. I went in to get a crossword book to bide my time until it decided to start. I can't believe GM will not acknowledge this.
  • donewithit2010donewithit2010 Member Posts: 1
    My name is Teresa from Tx, and I also have 2005 saturn that won't start in cold weather and won't release the key from the ignition when it fails to start. I have read in the threads that this happens in 2003 - 2008 Saturns. I had complained about it and they said they couldn't find any showing of a problem on their comptuer. I did this a couple of time but I keep hearing the same oh same oh you know how that goes. Well I am done tried with having to wake up not knowing if the car is going to start. The car belongs to my husband and he has been to late work many times because of it. I don't know what else to do. I think it time to start something big so that Saturn can start to own up to this defeat. I dont think its fair that as still paying customers have to deal with something so serious and like it not wanting to start and locked key thats crazy. We Saturn onwers need to take a stand for what is ours. I believe as they like their car payment to be done every month and in an order time, I believe that we as customers should be heard as well. I called today 3/10/2010 to report it again and we will see what happens. If i don't get a respondes I am going to find a laywer. Carrie how is law action suit work email me back, I would like to know more about it. Thanks again Teri.
  • mrniceguy424mrniceguy424 Member Posts: 5
    Complain to the NTSB, GM, BBB and any public forum you can. I did. I still get responses, but no action.

The good news is, the starting problem fix is easy. For instructions, please refer to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5AGhFWcBw

This fix works on starting problem, but you will get a dash light on constantly.

As far as any locking key issue, good luck. Hope it doesn't get stuck while the engine is running. You may be forced to disconnect the battery to shut off engine.
  • mrburnagainmrburnagain Member Posts: 1
    Hay I have the same problem for two years alreadyonly now the car starts and will get you where you need to go then no start cranks one then nothing wait 10-15 min and starts right up. I thought Ignition switch problem like everyone else is saying? Took it to the dealership today/ or what they call a authorized saturn service provider dropped it of at 7:00 am for the 145$ diagnostic didn't get a call back until 2:00 pm. 7 hours later they tell me that it is not the ignition switch but the (BCM) needs replacing $700.00 can get it replaced elsewhere but needs reprogramming from the authorized saturn service provider??? go figure! He also told me that they just recieved a bulletin that that is the fix for this problem not the ignition switch???So I oked the work it will be ready tommorow let us see if this was the problem
    shouldve just cut the white wire
    youre wasting your time and money
  • joetreejoetree Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2010
    Cut the white wire and be done with it. It has been six months since I cut the wire and there has not been one single problem with starting. Make sure you watch the video prior to cutting, because there are some procedures you have to follow. Good Luck!Site is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5AGhFWcBw
    See #423 and #424 - good advice. I hate to see you waste / lose your money but I'm afraid that's what you did. Good Luck!
  • mrniceguy424mrniceguy424 Member Posts: 5
    $700 !?!?! Thats crazy! You can fix the problem for about $10 (for a Torx wrench) and it takes 5-15 minutes.
  • esprixesprix Member Posts: 11
    Hate to say it, but I'm in the "you should have cut the white wire" camp. We snipped ours a few months ago and got through many snowstorms and freezing cold nights and haven't had a single starting problem since.
  • sheron_gasheron_ga Member Posts: 1
    Mine actually did get stuck while the car was running and disconnecting the battery did NOT shut it off. So the car ran for approximately an hour and a half until my husband and daughter's boyfriend were able to pull a fuse to finally shut it off. The car is in the shop and they are replacing the lock & key assembly to the tune of $546 and GM will not offset the cost or even acknowledge that this has been an ongoing problem. The dealer suggested that my key ring was probably too heavy and I caused the damage to it. I have a house key on my keyring and the remote for the car.
  • kruise1kruise1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 ion,and also my keys refuses to come out, I was wondering if replacing the BCM worked for your car?
  • amandabrookeeeamandabrookeee Member Posts: 2
    I just recently purchased an '05 Saturn Ion. And I never read these reviews on my car until it was too late. My car has the same starting problems as everyone elses. Sometimes it takes me up to 45 minutes to start my car. The other day I was 15 minutes late to work, because the car decided to take its sweet time trying to start.. I've never heard of "cutting the white wire" till I read the blogs on here.. And I think that's exactly what I'm going to do tomorrow. I'm sick of sitting outside in my car when it's 15 degrees out freezing my [non-permissible content removed] off; because this so called "reliable" car won't start. It's a good thing Saturn's going out of business, because they just lost themselves a customer. I will never by a Saturn vechile again!
    do it
    you wont regret it
    just make sure to follow the directions
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Have you taken the vehicle to the dealership to have it diagnosed? How long has the concern been present? Please email me with me information. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service.
  • amandabrookeeeamandabrookeee Member Posts: 2
    The white wire has been cut(: Now fingers crossed it won't have the same problems as before.. & to the Mariah:
    This problem happened the second day after I purchased the car. Saturn says that this has not been a recall and gives me some [non-permissible content removed] answers, it's the starter, etc. If we're all having the same exact problems, complaining about them, and still no action has taken place.. Then it's time we take matters into our own hands and fix it ourselves.. Just lilke the rest of the people on here did.. Oh and on the plus side.. I tried the whole warming my key up with a lighter this morning & it worked like a charm. I really do think this car was made by complete retards. The car's so "ghetto".
  • lnquachlnquach Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone,
    I have a 2003 Saturn Ion, I bought it used 2 years ago. I had the cold weather start problem too. My husband followed the instructions on cutting the white wire and I thought that the problem was solved. Over this past winter season, the problem has cropped up again! Sometimes getting the car jumped helps, sometimes, by the time someone else comes along to boost it, the car can start on its own!

Also, once, I got a power steering failure and the car was nearly impossible to steer. A couple of days later, I decided to try my luck and lo and behold, the power steering works again. What is with this car?!

It's getting really frustrating. Any body else have this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it? I just don't want to have to go to the dealership and get ten million fixes before they figure out what the problem is.

Thanks!
    Ellen
  • arniemacarniemac Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same problem for about 2 years. I have a 2004 saturn lon and I bought it new. When it first started to happened to me and I got it started. I took my car down to Firestone. They charged me for an electronics test and said "they could not find anything wrong with it". So every couple of months, I send ten minutes trying to start my car. It really sucks and I have no idea what to do. I thought about the next time it happens don't try anything and just have the car towed to the shop. But when it did happen I went to call a tow truck and that took me about fifteen minutes. I came back to the car and tried to start it and it started right-up. I don't know if that's good luck or bad... I just want the problem fixed and nobody has a clue what to do.
    cut the white wire
  • arniemac27arniemac27 Member Posts: 1
    What? Is that a joke?
  • korigga19korigga19 Member Posts: 1
    hey get a womens blow dry and an extention cord and aim it under the steering column or take off the threee pieces that cover the steering column and aim it at the little black piece at the end of the key cylinder for a couple minutes and she'll start right up. its a passlock issue. if you buy a remote start and bypass it will take care of the prob so long as you warm up your car in the morning with the remote start.
  • myionneedshelpmyionneedshelp Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Hello: I have the key stuck in the ignition problem with my 2007 Ion. I went to the dealer and got a replacement switch and installed it without having checked into this problem on the internet (big mistake). I guess I should have cut that white wire before I replaced the ignition switch. I have seen several posts on several sites about re-programing the pass-lock by moving the key to the start position then waiting ten minutes and moving the key to run and repeating the process three more times. I have seen three different variations explained through out the internet and have tried all three but I still can not get the car started. Is there any other way to bypass the pass-lock after the ignition switch has been replaced?

Thanks James
  • amity1amity1 Member Posts: 1
    luckily I have never had a starting problem with my ION, mine is mainly the stuck key,I also had my ignition switch fixed and Saturn had to reprogram my key for the passlock.

If your key gets stuck,there is a little cover on the bottom of the steering wheel,remove it and stick ur finger straight up till u feel a little button and then push it and ur key will release, All I know is next time I decide to buy a used car I will do my research first and I will never buy a Saturn again, thank god they stopped making them.
  • richardbrodyrichardbrody Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    i have a 2005 saturn ion, 2.2L, manual trans, that will not start. dash lights up with passlock symbol (car with lock on it) and battery is fine. i live in sunny southern california so i'm not sure if this is the "cold weather" starting problem. it sounds like it is but i am not sure. i have been to lots of forums and followed the "start 3 times every ten minutes" suggestion but it doesn't work. it sounds like i have the cold weather passlock problem but i cant even get my car to turn over at all. what is going on here? any help please. thanks
    i would say its worth it to cut the white wire and see if that solves the problem... you dont have much to lose.
    i live in southern cali and never had that problem
    but as soon as i moved to northern cali (where it really doesnt get all that cold) i had the problem
  • richardbrodyrichardbrody Member Posts: 2
    i thought i read that your car needs to be running when you cut the white wire. i cant get my car to start at all. what about replacing the ignition switch? and can i do that myself? thanks for the help.
    Hello Richardbrody,
    Your passlock has been engaged that will cut the fuel off to your vehicle. Because it has been engaged I would suggest taking it to the dealership and have them unlock your vehicle. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • mojo22mojo22 Member Posts: 5
    Fools! How do they expect you to get the vehicle to the dealership if it won't start?

You need to go into the trunk, disconnect the positive side of the battery cable to interrupt power to the passlock system. Reattach the battery cable--notice that the passlock light is out now, and the car will start. Mine does this on every occasion. Saturn was no help to me. (Do you want to make an appointment???? No, moron, I can't start the car to get it there. Jerks.)
    Hello Mojo22,
    Thank you for your informative information. However, not everyone is mechanically inclinded and has to have their vehicles towed to the dealership to get them fixed. If you would like to email me and let me know about your situation please do so. You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • justjessicajustjessica Member Posts: 18
    Turn your key to the "on" position, you're security light (the lock symbol) is probably blinking. If it is, leave on until the symbol stops blinking. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes. Once the symbol stops blinking, turn car off, wait about 30 seconds and try to start car. It should start. If it doesn't, turn off and wait a few more seconds, start and you should be good to go. From what my mechanic said, the security system needs to "re-learn" the pass code. Why this is happening and how to fix it for good he hasn't been able to figure out. When the car doesn't recognize the pass code the anti-theft kicks in which stops your car from being able to start.
    My mechanic (who is not affiliated w/Saturn or GM) put in a new pass code, made a new key and changed the tumbler assembly and I still have the "no start problem" occasionally. Saturn replaced the ignition switch in 2005 when the car wasn't even a year old. Worked for a year before the problem started again. It is the security system, nothing else. It seems that GM does not want to acknowledge the true nature of the problem which leads to unnecessary repairs and costs. I recently read in a newspaper repair column that an Alero (which is a GM car) owner is having the same problem.
    Wouldn't life be so much sweeter if GM would just suck it up, admit to what the real problem is and take care of it like good, decent people should do?
    Hope this helped, good luck, and let me know.
  • bangelbangel Member Posts: 8
    Amanda, I have had this issue with my "04 for two yrs. Every since I bought it used. I am nooo mechanic. However, If you watch the video it will take you through it step by step. I just "cut the white wire" 20 minutes ago. It took me longer to put the cover back on the steering column than it did to do the job. Make sure the vehicle is running and DO for sure take the fuse out of the airbag..VERY simple. I am sooo tired of being late for work, and other appointments. If this is the fix I am looking for than I will find out very soon. This car started giving me fits even in humid conditions and I can't take it anymore. I think I cut the wire for spite as much as anything else. Take care all of the other saturn Ion lemon owners....GOOD LUCK...Bryce L. Angel...libertine67@yahoo.com...Feel free to check in.
  • zenwisheszenwishes Member Posts: 2
    Hey Mariah, I know you weren't talking to me but it's been such a long frustrating journey with Saturn. I bought an Ion 3 in 2003. It's a gorgeous car - one problem has been there since the beginning however. It's the same problem these people have all talked about. There were the non-start issues, the couldn't turn the car off issue (and no it isn't because I'm a girl because my husband and 3 garage guys couldn't turn it off either.) Luckily, it was at the Saturn dealer at the time waiting for it's 3rd ignition. The "couldn't get the key out" issue was quickly resolved once we found out you couldn't have a single thing in your cup holder when you were trying to get the key out since you couldn't jam it into Park hard enough. On and on ---- over the years Saturn has replaced my ignition 3 times. I still have less than 50,000 miles on this car and it is treated with kid gloves. But, no more warranty. Forget the fact that the ignition was replaced 3 times under warranty. That doesn't seem to form a pattern that seems to Saturn to mean they need to fix this problem without charge. Now, to make matters worse - no more Saturn. We got a letter from our dealer that says we have to take the car to the Subaru dealer for dealer repairs. Really? How does that do anything for my Buy American self-mandate. I'm sitting here super frustrated for at least the 7th time since my warranty ran out. Please, if there is such a thing as GM Customer Service for Saturns anymore and if they really are interested in doing something about it, I'll even pay for the tow -- since my Saturn is blocking the car that runs from getting out of the driveway this time! Urrrrrgh!
    Hello Zenwishes,
    Is your ignition currently giving you problems? I am not sure why your dealer would give you a Subaru dealer for your Saturn vehicle. GM picked certain dealers to service Saturn vehicles. If you would like to email me your zip code I can find a dealership in your area that will service your Saturn vehicle. You can get my email address by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you
  • rb28rb28 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am a long time mechanic and I have a 2003 Saturn Ion and also had the no starting problems for about a month. I checked the battery, the starter, and the alternator and everything checked out good. I even tried giving the battery a boost. I also noticed the security light would come on so I figured it was a passlock or switch problem. One day when my car wouldn't start, I had the idea to just take the OnStar FUSE out and to my surprise it started instantly. I did not have to wait any time at all. Its been a two years since the incident and have never had a problem again even in 15 degree weather. Of course the Onstar system will be disabled, but as long as the car works I don't care about OnStar. Maybe they are ones to blame.
    Hello Rb28,
    I apologize that you had a concern with your vehicle. Unfortunately, I cannot diagnose your vehicle over the internet to understand why pulling the fuse worked. I am glad that you are not experiencing your concern anymore. Thank you,
  • zenwisheszenwishes Member Posts: 2
    Finally -- after having this starting problem over and over again and trying all of the tricks mentioned (except for cutting the white wire), I believe our car is fixed.

We simply went to the dealer, paid $33 for a new switch and installed it. We then had to put the key in at the on position, wait for the security lights to go out and attempt to start it, bring the key back to the on position without removing it (very important), wait 10 minutes and repeat 3 times so that the car can "learn" the security code.

Of course we will have to wait for either cold weather or damp weather to see if it really works, but my goodness I hope so!
  • bangelbangel Member Posts: 8
    I cut the white wire last month and my car starts every single time now..Best decision I could have made and it was absolutely FREE...Took me about 15 minutes. To heck with the dealership. They won't even admit that there was ever an issue with this. Follow the steps provided on youtube and it will go without a hitch.....Good luck people..b.angel
    Sorry to say, but the problem will probably come back. I did the same thing when it was still cold out and it started w/no problems for about 3 wks then the starting problems started up again.

Good luck though, hope I'm wrong.
    Ummm what if I don't have OnStar? What fuse do I pull?