Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

Comments

• oldsilverback7oldsilverback7 Member Posts: 1
    New on forum but lurking in the shadows for couple years. 05 saturn ion no start, stalls at any speed, stalls won't restart,I get a p0601[pcm check sum error]. New battery year ago,cut white wire 3months ago,new ignition swich last week and would not let me reprogram[started right up]. Stalled in driveway day after switch install, decided to hook white wire back up,still would not stop the stalling no start problem.Talked to Saturn dealer who blew the usual dealer smoke up my@$$ an was not helpful at all.This vehicle has 48k an this is the only problem I have had with this car.I have NEVER had a vehicle electrical problem fixed at any dealer shop EVER that solved the issue and am reluctant to start throwing money at a dealership just to change parts to find out they guessed wrong! My question for you saturn ion guru's is the following: can I put a used pcm in this car without a dealer reprogram and is their a way to disconnect the passlock crap? No fun owning a vehicle you can't depend on to start and not stall. thank you Steve
  • asolisiiiasolisiii Member Posts: 1
    I was recently having the same problem. This is how I was able to start my car: turn the key, but not all the way to where the car will start only to where the anti thieft light comes on, wait till it goes off then turn the key all the way to start the car. I have not had anymore problems with this anymore.
  • bangelbangel Member Posts: 8
    Pull the air bag fuse....Remember to start your car before cutting the white wire. It has to be running or it won't work. The steps are.
    1) disassemble steering column 7 mm socket I think
    2) find the wire in question...Solid white not the one with a stripe on it.
    3) remove the fuse cover to the right of the gas pedal.
    4) find the air bag fuse and pull it
    5) Start your car
    6) cut the white wire
    7) turn it off
    8) put the fuse back in and cover
    9) reassembl the column cover
    10) start your car. The pass lock light will stay on all the time and your display will tell you to service your car every time you start it. Just push the trip milage button and it goes away. It will do it every time you start your car...Small price to pay for a car that will start every time...
  • esprixesprix Member Posts: 11
    We tried that for a while, but it's not the solution - it won't always work, trust me. We finally cut the white wire, and haven't had a single problem in almost 2 years.
  • stocky09stocky09 Member Posts: 2
    Last week my son started the car as usual to move it down the driveway for me. When he put the car into park and tried to turn the car off, the key would not turn to the off position. Furthermore, if you turned the key to the start position, there was not a grinding sound as you would usually hear because the car was already running. This is a 2006 Saturn ION and I am very confused about this problem. Up until now the car has been very reliable. I had to finally have a mechanic come to the house and he removed the main fuse to turn the car off. He also disconnected the negative terminal of the battery as to not drain it. The car has set in the driveway since then. Now I can connect the battery and turn the car on and drive it, BUT I will not be able to turn it off once I get to where I am going.

Does anyone have a clue as to what has happened?
  • mrmoe13mrmoe13 Member Posts: 4
    Same thing happenend to me. Saturn dinged me for $530.00. This was the last straw, dropped that car like 3rd period french. Check out some other sites on all the problems the 06 Ion has. You'll be on a first name basis at the dealer real soon. They always seem to have the parts in stock for all the strange problems the car has. They won't recall anything, just want your $$$. Dump while you can !
  • whitezinwhitezin Member Posts: 1
    So I got my 2007 Ion in May 2007. From day one, it had starter issues ... thing would occasionally NOT TURN OFF. Finally, one night it so refused that we had to call the dealership to come bring us a loaner that would.

Ignition switch replaced, problem fixed.

However, now it's developed a disturbing new habit ... it's growing increasingly reluctant to start when "cold" (in quotation marks because I'm in Houston, and the mornings here are about 85). It starts just fine after it's been warmed up - if I run into the pharmacy for a few minutes, it starts great when I come out.

Appointment made with dealership next week, since it's still under warranty, but any interim tips would be most appreciated.
  • john4201john4201 Member Posts: 2
    I also cut the white wire about two years ago and have not had one problem staring since. I think it is remarkable that one smart Saturn owner in Kentucky came up with this solution and yet, judging by all the frustrating stories, all of the Saturn/GM engineers could not figure out the correct fix. My thanks again to the individual in Kentucky who figured this out and posted the solution.
  • standfirmstandfirm Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    Just bought a 2004 saturn ion, may have been wrong decision but it is what it is. Car has new battery, turns over great but wont start. Is this the same nonstart issue that so many have talked about. If it is, any suggestions on how to start the car so I can cut the "white wire"?
  • lnquachlnquach Member Posts: 3
    With the "white wire" problem, typically the car won't turn over (i.e. doesn't even click) because the system has disabled the ignition.
  • saturndetailssaturndetails Member Posts: 1
    There is a tutorial here -> http://moontaj.com/passlock
  • sapphireravensapphireraven Member Posts: 2
    THIS WORKS GREAT BY THE WAY!!!!! NOT ONE PROBLEM AFTER IT WAS CUT!! :) I can't thank you enough!!!
  • justjessicajustjessica Member Posts: 18
    My 04 Ion won't turn off. The key is stuck in the "on" position. I have to pull the fuse and disconnect the battery to turn it off. I tried getting the key out by pressing the button on the steering colomn that's supposed to pop the key out but the key won't budge. I called my mechanic to get a "ball park" on what it's going to cost to fix it but he can't because he doesn't know what's causing the problem so he doesn't know what will be involved in fixing it.
    Does anyone know what else it could be and if I can fix it myself? I am desperate since this is our only car. Thanks!
  • snowbugcasnowbugca Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2005 Ion. Has any one had trouble passing emission test after cutting the white wire? I live in Ontario Canada and need an E test every 2 years. This car is replacing a 1995 SL1 which has been a tough little beast. thanks Jim
  • fixmysaturnfixmysaturn Member Posts: 15
    i just had an emissions test and the guy didnt even ask why the check engine light was on
  • cath5cath5 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 ion, which has had the no start problem since about 2006, only in cold weather. Every winter its been getting worse, happening more frequently and taking longer to finally get started. I am going to cut the white wire... but first I just want to check out one thing...

I seem to have the same symptoms as everyone else, except I don't have to wait 10 minutes for passlock reset. I used to be able to try again 30-60 seconds after the failure, and get another failure, and repeat several times until it eventually it starts... that "repeat several times" took me 45 minutes yesterday (it was -20 celsius). If I were to try again without waiting at all after the failure, then I just get the hum/click noise, but no real attempt to start.

So will the white wire fix work for me even though I don't need the 10 minute wait for reset?
    Otherwise I'm pretty sure the problem is the passlock based on what everybody has said here...so thanks to everyone for helping people like me figure out what's going on and prove I'm not crazy!!
    The reason it took you 45 mins to get the car started IS the same problem we are all having. It took 45mins because you didn't give the car enough time to complete the "reset". I was doing the same thing w/my car and every time it took longer to start. My mechanic told me that when the car doesn't start to leave key in the "on" position and wait for the security light to stop blinking, at this point it has been reset. Next, turn car off, wait about 30 seconds and start the car. You should be good to go.
    I have not cut the wire yet. Since I have stopped using the security all together it starts immediately. I took my remote off my keys so I do not use it @ all. I lock the car before I close the door like you had to back in the day and unlock the car w/my key. You may want to see if this works for you if you're unsure about cutting the white wire.
  • mrniceguy424mrniceguy424 Member Posts: 5
    justjessica is absolutely correct. However, cutting the white wire eliminates the need to wait at all. I got tired of waiting even 30-60 seconds to try again, so I followed the procedure. No more problems or waiting.
  • cath5cath5 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to both of you for the info & helping me clarify the problem. I just cut my wire... now I'm actually looking forward to another -20 day so I can laugh with glee when I just jump in my car and get to work on time!!:)
  • tryco3tryco3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Saturn Ion 2004 2.2 L. will NOT start in cold (below 20 degrees F) and default to SERVICE on the panel. I have been told by a local auto electric shop that the contacts in the harness need to "see" a closed loop mode to start. In very cold weather, the alignment in the harness (Not the key ignition cylinder) is not making contact and prevents the car from starting. First year of winter (2005), I purchased a new battery and still no solution. Still can not find a correction for this problem EXCEPT I place a electric heater on the drivers side floor and after 10 mins or so, the vehicle starts. Any ideas?
  • esprixesprix Member Posts: 11
    tryco3, cut the white wire - it's worked for everyone else. :)
  • helpful_guesthelpful_guest Member Posts: 5
    Still can not find a correction for this problem EXCEPT I place a electric heater on the drivers side floor and after 10 mins or so, the vehicle starts. Any ideas?

It's not the heater that helps, it's the waiting ten minutes. Someone posted a guide on the previous page which explains the problem http://moontaj.com/passlock, yes it even covers the "white wire fix".
  • kl777kl777 Member Posts: 2
    We are having the same problem....where is this white wire that we need to cut?
  • brava58brava58 Member Posts: 27
    edited December 2010
    I've used the turn key on, not start, turn off and wait 30 sec. and this seems to be working.
    The problem with that is the grease clumps at the start position and will still be a problem eventually. You've just been lucky in my opinion. The only fixes are to cut the wire, replace the switch, replace the grease or bypass passlock with an add on.
  • doodah12doodah12 Member Posts: 1
    I read about also having to reset the key module after doing this?
    Or is this all that has to be done, just cut the wire, tape it up and be done with it?
    Just start the car, cut the wire, tape it up and be done with it. Remove the airbag fuse first and then replace it once you're completed the procedure and turned the vehicle off.
  • kl777kl777 Member Posts: 2
    We opted to change the ignition swith rather than cutting the wire. We followed the instructions (both online and in the "service" manual). Now the car is bucking and the airbag light and oil light come on when it is bucking. Once it is run in high gear a a steading speed the bucking stops. Any ideas?
    If you only touched the steering column and steering wheel I can't think of any reason or way "bucking" could be caused. Could just be coincidental. Did you touch anything under the hood? Leave a tool on the floor board? Accidentally leave a fuse out? Anything out of the ordinary?
  • inorbitinorbit Member Posts: 1
    I will probably also try this fix, but I may put a switch in line with the wire. The fact that you need to cut the wire with the engine running tells me the "system" may store information and be held for future starts. If you ever replace the battery that info may get lost? And then maybe it will be like the wire is cut before the car is started. Wonder if this has been a problem after replacing a battery or even the control module???
    edited December 2010
    You are right, it didn't start the other morning, quite frustrating. What does cutting the white wire have to do with clumping grease?
    The grease keeps the passlock module from getting a clean signal at startup and thus the car thinks the ignition has been tampered with and refuses to start for security. If you cut the white wire (the wire that carries the passlock voltage at startup) with the car running, the module enters a failsafe mode and ignores that input going forward. With the white wire cut your car will always ignore passlock until you re-connect the wire if ever. From what I can tell it is a reversible procedure.
    OK, I see. Thanks for the explanation.
  • zygomaticzygomatic Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Saturn Ion-2 2.2L Ecotec with the same Passlock problem, it kept getting worse and worse. My roommate stumbled across this forum. I just cut the white wire (I didn't remove the airbag fuse -- with no ill effects) last Saturday (1/8/11) and I have had no problems since. Whoever figured that one out, I owe you a beer!
  • gary1216gary1216 Member Posts: 1
    So I did the white wire cut on my son's 2004 ion. Everything was great for 10 days or so.

Then his key was left on and killed the battery.

We jumped (charged) the battery but now it is completely locked up. Won't start, can't even shift out of park.

I found an ex-saturn tech who came over and reconnected the white wire and replaced the ignition switch. Then he did the reprogram process. It seemed like at least the key is recognized as the yellow lock doesn't show up but still nothing.

He said maybe we now need to replace the BCM. I just can't see how a battery going dead can damage a BCM.

Do you think maybe a BCM reprogram? Is the BCM program different then the relearn process or is that the same thing?
  • rhodesengrrhodesengr Member Posts: 1
    we have a 2004 saturn ion with the passlock starting problem. I have seen posts about "cutting the white wire" and wiping grease out of the switch but i also saw a reference to using the remote to turn off or deprogram the passlock feature. Something about pressing the hazard light button five times. I could not find this procedure in the owners manual. Is there such a procedure and is it documented somewhere?
  • truxr4girlstruxr4girls Member Posts: 1
    hi....did you ever receive an answer on the hazard light button procedure? I ask because my daughter's 2007 Ion just had this issue. My son was in the car listening to the radio and then the padlock came on and the car shut down. How do we get it started again? Thanks for your help!
  • rb52rb52 Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 Saturn Ion had the same cold start problem - temperatures below 30 degrees and it would not start. After reading several boards regarding this problem I decided to listen to the Master Mechanic that posted a message about having the ignition switch replaced for 2004's and for 2005 and 2006's to have the ignition switch replaced along with the module. Yes, the new switch cost me just over $400.00 but my Saturn Ion now starts even in the negative temps. If the dealer or mechanic gives you a hard time tell them to look up the bulletin regarding cold starts. It will tell them what to do. I hope this helps someone. Good luck!

RB52
  • blucatblucat Member Posts: 7
    Glad that worked for you. I did the "White Wire Fix" for my granddaughter's ION a year-and-a-half ago and have had zero problems. It cause me 14-cents for two wire connectors.
  • wes34wes34 Member Posts: 1
    I ask anyone having a start problem with the saturn ion, to first try checking all fuses under the hood ( especially 10 amp fuses) before you spend hundreds of bucks.

My battery went dead, i tried boosting it off. it would not even turn over. i put a new battery in. still nothing. i changed ignition. still nothing. i checked the starter, the clutch switch, and all the fuses that i thought had to do with the starting and running of my vehicle. so to make a long story short, at last resort i began checking all fuses under the hood one by one. I found a 10 amp fuse that was blown. the fuse i found was not even labled on my fuse panel cover. but figuring it wouldnt work, i tried any way. AND IT STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO PLEASE CHECK ALL YOUR FUSES!!!!!!!!!

I think by boosting the car off I may have blew the fuse not sure tho, because the car wouldnt turn over any way.. so please check fuses. My dash was also reading something when i would turn the key. I cant remrmber if it was pass lock but it was something to that affect. hope i have helped someone.

Wes......
  • vjosephvjoseph Member Posts: 2
    i thank you all for tricks you have posted!! i called the dealership i bought it from and they acted like they never heard of this before! Seriously. i am looking into law suit. GM knows this vehicle is faulty yet they continue selling them to un-beknownst people and refusing to help them once they've taken our money. i have been caught in the cold and heat on too many occassions. i hate my car.
  • vjosephvjoseph Member Posts: 2
    i have always and only driven GM cars,... mostly trucks,.. i have to say,..will be no longer,...my money will go to a company that values their customers,..not just their customers money
  • lnquachlnquach Member Posts: 3
    I had the cold start problems and cut the white wire, which helped for a while. Then it came back again. I decided to replace the battery, except I replaced it with one that had high cold cranking amps and better quality than the one that comes with the vehicle. Haven't had any issues since. It's okay if the battery isn't the same size because it's in the trunk, the space will accomodate a bigger battery, which is apparently what it needs.
    Hope this helps someone.
  • laylahsmutlaylahsmut Member Posts: 1
    Hi my name is kenitra and I have a saturn ion 2004, 2.2 my car wont start and on the dash it reads power start it seems like the same problem you had but we checked all the fues I dont know what it is....
  • clsragonsruleclsragonsrule Member Posts: 2
    In 2005, I purchased a 2005 Saturn Ion for my daughter to drive. It was a sexy, gorgeous car. Now that it is 6 years old, it has been having electrical problems. In December 2009, she was living in CT and going to college. She called to tell me that her car wouldn't start. It was a cold morning. I drove from NJ to CT that evening and boosted her. We took the car to PEP boys and they diagnosed it as needing a new battery. I bought a new battery and went on my merry way. In January 2010, 3 weeks later, she called again and complained that her car wouldin't start. Yes, it was a cold day. I told her to call AAA for a boost and take the car back to PEP boys. They gave her another battery. In December 2010, she was living in NJ and the car was garaged. The car did not start, could not be boosted, had to be towed by AAA to a Cheverlet dealership since there are no more Saturn dealerships. They diagnosed the problem has needing a new battery. I paid Cheverolet twice the amount I paid PEP boys for, yet, another battery. I am dumbfounded that one car could need 3 batteries in 13 months. In January 2011, 3 weeks later, the car wouldn't start in the morning, and it was cold, but responded to a boost. I took the car to my mechanic who suggested that the starting problems was related to the security system, but otherwise he could not find anything wrong.
    Last night, we experienced torential rainfall, and the security system set off for no reason. It was silenced by the remote, but the cabin lights would not go off. I got into the car and drove it around the block. When I put it into first gear, the cabin lights shut off. I returned home and turned off the car and again the cabin lights would not shut off. The cabin lights remained "on" for several hours, and we noticed they were off. I assumed that the battery died again. But, the car started this morning. It was 40 degrees this morning. However, my daughter said the interior of the right side of the car was soaking wet: the carpet and the seat were drenched. The windows were closed tight and so was the door. Obviously, there is a seal problem somewhere, but the rainwater has short circuited somewhere. I do not even know where to begin to have it assessed and resolved. This is so bizzarre. I am extremely frustrated that a car that I just finished paying for is now giving me all this grief. I have started to read a lot of blogs and am stunned to find that many people are having electrical problems. I don't know what the solution is. I am so upset, I want to get rid of the car, but how?
  • jtarr24jtarr24 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I just wanted to let you all know that I've had the white wire cut and it's done wonders for my starting problems. I have a 2004 Ion and read in this forum (and followed this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5AGhFWcBw) on how to cut the wire. Unfortunately, it does leave a "check engine" light on. I'm installing the toggle switch tomorrow and will try to get a video of it. Cutting the wire works and is pretty easy to do.

@clsragonsrule:
    my saturn is having seal problems as well. The seal is visibly coming off from the door behind the drivers seat. Honestly, I solve it by using some duct tape. It looks tacky, but it works.
  • otis19otis19 Member Posts: 1
    i have 2000 saturn ls the car start when it wants to.i can start the car and drive it when i park it for a hour or so it will not start? and sometimes in the morining it will start and some times it will not start?i put it two new coil packs plus gas filter. when it does not start i have to use starting fluid to start?can anyone hepl?
  • dozensaturndozensaturn Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2011
    You are experiencing two of the most common problems with the ION's ...
    First of all you have no doubt been advised to change batteries when that was NOT the problem.
    All of my Saturn's are in Florida ... yet have the starting problem.
    Second: The starting problem is not just when it is COLD. Now down to 7 ION's (after total of 17 Saturn's ... 9 of them ION's). Changed several ignition switches - and it has cleared the problem except on one '04 earlier this week. Installed a new GM (OEM) switch - and everything was 'dead' so the 'old' switch was reinstalled - and so far the car has started on first try. Typically one have to wait for 5 to 10 minutes after the first 'dead' click, and maybe even a third try until it starts. Then it will re-start most of the time throughout the day. The switch is available at the GM dealer for $40 plus but the identical part can be sourced for less than $20!
    This is frustrating to say the least.
    One of our ION's experienced the same problem with water on the floor board, passenger side - now on the fifth (5th) motor ... first on warranty and dealer had no answer/excuse etc. My mechanic have now solved the problem, including a much quicker repair technique, reducing labor to a minimum. This vehicle has been dry now for one year! Wow. Our neighbor had an ION, leased and had the very same problem! It is more common than what has been admitted by dealer.
    The ION's have been good, but we are 'moving' them out and replacing with non-GM products.
    I will lock back at this forum in a week or so, and update about the start problem - but also what you should do with the motor/leakage - eventually you will burn the motor.
    Happy driving.