Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    laser5081,

Have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance regarding the problems you are experiencing? If so, do you currently have a case number?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • lolo555lolo555 Member Posts: 5
    Well Ive spoken with customer service at my local GM and they have not been able to fix this problem. I cant spend any more money on "guess's". I dont think this issue will ever get "taken care of". From what i can see on this site, NO ONE has gotten an answer or an actual fix for this problem from GM???
    lolo555,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to set up the case I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you and have a great weekend!
  • nr8nr8 Member Posts: 1
    My husband was also having trouble starting his 2003 saturn ion. Since we bought it in the winter, we thought that it was a cold start problem. Every morning he went through the same routine with the car - trying to start it - nothing, sometimes just a click, sometimes nothing. He'd give the car a 'break' and then it would start right up like nothing had happened! We had the car looked at, we changed the battery - no one knew what was wrong.

I started reading this forum when it became clear that it was not a cold start problem, and a mechanical one. I made a list of all the different sugesstions and decided to start with the simplest first, which was to not engage the security system by not using the remote lock / unlock. My husband took the bobber off of his key ring and he hasn't had a problem starting the car since! This was 3 weeks ago. However - since it seems like some of the fixes I have seen on here only last for a few weeks . . . . I am reserving judgement on this . . . . let's see if it gets us through the summer and into the winter - then I may start to relax!!

I just want to say that I am disappointed in what I have read as GM's response to this issue. We were at the point where we had already taken the car to our mechanic and we were going to take it to a GM mechanic because we thought that they would be able to solve the issue - after reading the comments on here, it looks like we would have spent a lot of money on something that probably would not have fixed the car. It is too bad that it seems that GM is not doing everything it can to help the owners of these cars fix a problem that is incredibly frustrating to those who have to deal with it.
  • dozensaturndozensaturn Member Posts: 41
    You are so correct, this is not a 'cold start' problem - and it is not the battery (which someone recommended you change) ....
    GM could get out of this embarrising problem simply by recognizing that the problem is there.
    And, by authorize 'by back' of one vehicle that is experiencing this problem, take possession and truly examine it - find the source of the problem, issue proper repair orders, and maybe as a goodwill issue a recall. This will generate goodwill - Saturn owners will shy away from GM
    unless this is properly handled. Saturn did not do it. And, so far GM is not reaching out far enough. I just 'unloaded' one more of our ION's ... replacing it with one from the other US brand that have ION size vehicles.
    Good luck with your 2003 ION.
  • lolo555lolo555 Member Posts: 5
    I dont even have a remote lock/unlock FOB, so i dont think that this is the problem, but you never know? I am trading my car in on Saturday and am gonna hope that its doesnt stall/not start when the dealership test drives it! I feel bad, but what can i do? I will take whatever $$ i can get for it!! Good luck on your ion!
  • sadsaturnguysadsaturnguy Member Posts: 1
    :cry: Similar to other recent stories on here, I also have decided my longtime (3 Saturns over 12 years) affair with Saturn is over. My car (2005 Saturn ION2) suddenly failed to turn over, with the erratic clacks with blinking engine light (while only in "1st" position) followed by inability to turn over or even try. Waiting, then try again. Waiting, then try again. Finally it acts normal -- or grumbles in chitty-chitty bangbang mode when trying.

I couldn't make it to my now default authorized (GM Chevrolet) dealer, who are far away and they didn't have time for me or know what the issue was. Local mechanic befuddled and gave me new battery. Ignition Switch replaced already during same fracas in 2007. Mechanic believes it's the " buss in computer relay center" or "fuse box assembly" (I believe the big BCM) which the part is on national back order.

I see here that may not help, or be the tip of a more expensive iceberg. God I loved this car, but I can't even sell it for value or trade it in. The stabilizer bars keep breaking, the automatic door lock on driver side stopped working, etc etc etc. But the main problem is the no-start: I grow more and more helpless every day.
  • anythingbutagmanythingbutagm Member Posts: 1
    Forgive us for not trusting GM, Caron — but Saturn owners are used to getting screwed.

Care to comment on the tens of thousands of Saturn owners who did report defective transmission problems for years and ultimately won the largest class action settlement in US history against GM? Probably not, considering GM declared bankruptcy 45 days later and told all 200,000 of us in the US and Canada we were on our own to replace or repair a known defective CVT to the tune of $7500.

My dying words will be to never buy a GM — EVER. And I'm still young enough to tell everyone I meet to buy any other car. GM lies and the US government lets them. If this were a Toyota problem, there would be Congressional hearing and GM's CEO of the week would be handed his [non-permissible content removed]. Instead — nothing.

http://www.lakinlaw.com/CM/ClassAction/ClassAction55.asp

At least they didn't kill, injury or permanently disable me or a family member. They're not paying victims or survivors either.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/27/gm-chrysler-bailout-accident-victims_n_- 868079.html?ref=fb&src=sp#sb=682760,b=facebook
    sadsaturnguy,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • andrew124andrew124 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Have a 04 saturn ion. the problem im having is getting the key to turn to start the car. you put the key in the ignition and it wont turn but if you wiggle the key and the steering wheel it will turn after a while and you can start the car its just getting the key out of the locked position. Whith all the problems GM has with their cars maybe its time to for them to close their doors for good because as i see my tax dollar bailout of Gm was a waste. I grew up in a GM family my father was GM only no matter what but as for me this problem has caused me to rethink GM's desire for quality and service and i'm changing to ford or dodge. one of GM's motto's is "like a rock" and thats one thing they have right their cars are like a rock sit in one place and have no good use at all.
    Caron,
    To which address do you want VIN numbers sent?
    Issue: No start, sometimes up to 4 attempt's (ten minutes wait between each attempt) before ION '04 and '05:s will start.
    Andrew,
    This should be a rather easy one for the GM technicians to respond to, and I would not be surprised if the same issue can be had at Ford, Chrysler or most other brands as well ...
    I know we have had it every now and then (mostly on the ION:s but on the L300's also), and most recently on (our last) '04 ..
    Looking forward to see a general GM recommendation or answer to to overcome this issue.
    andrew124,

Have you had the vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • dawnclark40dawnclark40 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I have a 2004 Saturn ION, Ive had my car for almost 4 years now and every winter I was having the same starting problem....NOW its happening when its 60 degrees out or more. Im sick of the problem. What is more sickening is my father worked and dedicated his to life to GM until he recently retired. Always GM lover, but these days...I just dont know.

Anyway which is it? Do I cut the white wire under the steering column to fix it or do i get a remote start that will fix it? PLEASE HELP. Thanks so much.
    dozensaturn,

If you click on the user name you will be able to find the email address.

Thank you,
  • fixmysaturnfixmysaturn Member Posts: 15
    CUT THE WHITE WIRE!!
    its free and you will not have the problem again
    ive been problem free (1 year!) since i cut it
  • kikibkikib Member Posts: 14
    My father, too, had a long career for GM, and my son's 2005 Saturn Ion has just about cured us from ever buying a GM car again!
    After several trips to GM dealerships here in Plano, Texas and Ruston, Louisiana where my son goes to college, until today, no one has been able to figure out why my son can't start his car and the key gets stuck in the ignition, or, what is worse, all the power cuts out while he's driving. Finally, I think it's going to be fixed. Last Friday, yet again, he went to start his car, it didn't, and the key got stuck. $90 to tow his car to the Chevrolet dealership in Ruston. $100 more to download computer updates into his car. Yet again the dealership couldn't duplicate the problems. Today, 5 days later after being without his car, the dealership said to come pick up his car and they were sorry they couldn't figure out what was wrong. Lo and behold, my son got in his car at the dealership, and miracle of miracles, the car wouldn't start and the key got stuck, right in the parking lot. The service advisor immediately ran to get the mechanic and after 10 minutes knew it was the Body Control Motion device. Guess what? They have to order it from West Virginia! You would think with so many Saturn Ion owners having these same problems, GM would recall this part. We are going to have to pay $800 to get this fixed. Anyone with this problem, esp power going out while driving, could be seriously injured or killed if this happens while driving. I am grateful the Ruston dealership is going to fix my son's car, but GM needs to take responsibility for it. :sick:
    kikib,

I apologize for the problems your son is experiencing with his vehicle. Have you had the chance to speak with GM Customer Assistance? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    No, I haven't contacted GM Customer Assistance. Is that something you suggest? How do I do that?
    Also, since I posted, when the dealership was installing the new Body Control Module, they discovered that the fuse box was almost completely burned out and had to order the part from Michigan. $300 more so we're up to a total of about $1300. The dealership told my husband that computer diagnostics didn't indicated the fuse box was almost burned out and that's why they didn't look at it prior to installing the BCM, but I wonder whatever happened to using your actual eyeballs to look under the hood?
    Thank you for any help you can give me.
  • desertcgdesertcg Member Posts: 1
    Good to know I'm not alone in being incredibly disappointed in GM for their poor quality vehicles and their refusal to take responsibility for them. 2 1/2 years ago my car refused to start. It didn't happen every day though. I would turn the key, nothing would happen. Eventually I learned to wait exactly 10 minutes before trying again. It would always start on the 2nd try. I replaced the ignition relay switch, no more starting problems since then.

Recently, as in the last 3 weeks, my key periodically gets stuck in the ACC position when I turn off the engine. It's never been stuck for longer than a minute. (Thank goodness considering it's 114 in Phoenix right now!) My dad has spoken with a mechanic who thinks the current problem is being caused by my keys being too heavy. His theory (without having actually looked at the car yet) is that the weight of my key chain has screwed up the ignition cylinder. Not sure I buy this theory yet. But based on what I've read from everyone else on here, replacing the cylinder would only be a temporary fix anyway. On another site, someone mentioned replacing the BTSI (brake transmission shift interlock solenoid).

Think I'll get the current problem fixed (even if it's only temporary) then sell the car and buy a non-GM vehicle instead.
    kikib,
    I do recommend reporting any concerns you have with your vehicle with Customer Assistance. What I can do is I can set up a case for you with GM Customer Assistance. This way they will contact you and you can provide them with all the details about your experience. If you would to take this course of action please email me you complete contact information including a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, as well as your involved dealer. I look forward to your response. Have a great holiday weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Yes, I would like for you to set up a case for me with GM Customer Assistance. I will email you the information as soon as I get it from my son. Thank you so much for your help! :)
  • dev9dev9 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just ran into a problem this weekend when I went to the store and tried to turn my car off and it wouldn't turn off. Its the holiday and no one was open. I called a locksmith and he wouldn't touch my car since it was a 2007. He said I shouldn't be having those problems. The dealership was closed and I will be calling them in the morning. We had to pull a fuse and unhook battery to get the car to turn off. I should have had second thought about this car when within the 1st 2yrs they had to replace the cadillac converter, but didn't have any other problems. I noticed there was alot of complaints with the ignition switch, but no recall with all the problems. After I talk to the dealer tomorrow I am going to call the attorney general's office and get their opinion b/c this is crazy. Don't know what they can do, but gonna try. I think a class action suit should be opened with these cars b/c there is a serious problem somewhere.
    I agree with you about contacting the attorney general (what state are you from?) and a possible class action lawsuit, but I am first going to go through GM Customer Assistance via the lady on this blog. I will be very interested in what the attorney general's office has to say.
  • mlombmlomb Member Posts: 1
    My daughter is experiencing the same problem on the 2006 Saturn that I bought at an Estate Sale. I will pass this info along to her. Thanks for sharing.
    dev9,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Are there any updates from the dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    edited July 2011
    You have a thankless job, Maam. This POS ignition switch was a known defective part in 2002 when the ION first came out.
    GM has compounded the problem by using the same junk in the Cobalt, HHR, G5, Pursuit, Colorado and Canyon.
    My own experience : Bought the 05 ION 1 brand new. Taken back five times since 12,000 miles and the techs at Saturn Of The Valley never did fix the frigging car.
    Even with a call to corporate and customer service with an incident ticket I still have to stick my finger up a hole under the steering wheel to get the key out.
    GM is not going to do right by these owners, period. Nor is GM authorized service going to give a useful solution.
    Now my car is out of warranty and I have to pay for them to "guess" what's wrong ???? I don't think so.
    I love the car, still, but there won't be any GM garbage taking my hard earned money ever again.
    It's not your fault, but you might pass the commentary to the people that run this bankrupt junk store to let them know that by continuing to use junk parts cost cut to the lowest quality to eke out an extra .000005c, they have destroyed the market GM might have for repeat customers.
    I will email you my VIN # so you can see when it started and what they did and how it continues to be unfixed, tho it was never repaired properly under warranty.
    100 years since the self starter and GM can't even get an ignition switch right ?
    Don't think your key-chain weight has anything to do with damaging the locking cylinder - most likely you have a too soft key, metal shavings stick to the tumblers. Have the cylinder changed, and do get a new key (stop using the original key). The dealer did our first one, it was much to costly - had a lock-firm re-do the job at a fraction of the dealer cost and, thereafter installed new cylinders in all of our ION's and NEW HARDER KEYS. Even cars that were still under warranty! Saturn would not listen ...
    No more key's getting stuck ... and I am talking on the average another 60k miles on the odometer on every single one. Good luck - fully understand you consider a non-GM product (we have replaced several ION's with imports) mainly due to total failure by Saturn and GM to act on these and similar complaints.
    Sent you the email with the VIN and more information. I am not optimistic.
    48,000 miles in 6 years.....
    edited July 2011
    I'll try having a new key made. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's unfortunate: as a car buyer my standards are pretty easy to meet. I expect the car to stop, start, run reliably and not need a lot of expensive repairs down the road.

The ION with it's polymer,Ecotec and GM 4 speed auto appears bullet proof.

Ideal on paper as a 20 year car. I ordered with minimal electronic gadgetry to go haywire down the road [no power windows or locks], no timing belt and water pump to replace at regular intervals. Like a Checker: built for the long haul.

And the simplest, most basic function of a car GM f#$%s up.

Every time I think of it my contempt for this company grows. "Bankruptcy is not an option " ? No, it was and is a foregone conclusion.
    Dozensaturn: well....... had the keys made at Ace. So far no having to diddle that hole under the steering wheel to get the key out. Keeping fingers crossed, but you may have solved my problem. Many thanks any way for the suggestion ! :)
  • krogers2krogers2 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    I have had the same problem too!!! Just yesterday I try to turn the key to kill the engine and it wouldn't turn! I wasn't freaking out. I finally had to leave work and drive it to my local mechanic and after looking at it, he told me I have to replace the ignition system in the steering column...something like that. The key was stuck. He opened the steering column up and metal parts started falling out. Wtf. I'm glad to read this isn't uncommon. My Saturn is a 2007 Ion with only 24K miles on the dang thing. It runs really well so I like the car, but this ignition problem is putting me back $800. Ugh.
    krogers2,
    I was reading your post and I would look into this for you. Can you please email me with your VIN, involved dealer, and complete contact information. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • notlkhnotlkh Member Posts: 6
    I bought my car used around 2006, and started having the starting issue in the fall of that year. When the temperature got below 60 degrees, at least once a day, I would try to start it, and it would fail. Initially, over a half hour period I would try to start it, and it would seem to get slightly better, starting to chug after waiting 5 minutes, until eventually it would start with my flooring the gas. After a week or so, I figured out the magic number was 10 minutes. When it would fail, if I waited 11 minutes {One extra, just to insure the 10 minutes expired} it would more often than not start up immediately.

It never seemed to happen consistently, so I never brought it in to be fixed. It would seem to stop stopping mostly over the summer, but would start stopping in the Fall. Strangely, when the temperature went below 32 degrees, it seemed to stop stopping less and less, perhaps after every 3 days it would stop starting maybe once.

I finally googled, and discovered this thread a few years ago, and saw many descriptions of the same issue.

I worry, when I bring my car in for service for other issues {Currently a bad bearing, a coolent notification and an oil change} that it might happen, frustrating the mechanic, but I forwarn them to wait exactly 11 minutes, and it should then start, or else wait another 11 then retry.
    So far, it has never failed to start for any mechanic, and they've never heard of this issue. Well, within a year or two, I will be getting a new car, and I can live with this until then.

-Lou
    Lou,
    The starting problem has nothing to do with the outside temperature, hour during the day etc. as this is a Saturn/GM problem (since day ONE) on the ION's ... You are so correct, wait 10 to 11 minutes, try a 2nd time, even a 3rd and a 4th time. Always wait in between. GM keep on responding take the vehicle to a dealer, have it checked out ... at the consumers expense! This is a major GM problem, a liability actually and they do not take the time and expense to review it and recommend how to fix it. As late as y-day they called us, saying we should take it to the dealer when this problem occurs! Have the car towed to their dealer .... Keep in mind the window is 10 to 11 minutes - not much time to get the tow truck, have the car brought to the dealer and they look at it ... All this at the consumers expense. I don't think so. Consider trade the car, turn your back to it and let someone else keep fighting with GM - their reputation will not improve until this issue is taken care of. So far have sold off 3 ION's and the 4th is due to go in September - and the replacements are non-GM products.
    edited July 2011
    The link to the GM rep's customer service line has worked, they've been good about following up.

HOWEVER: had the car in and had the ignition switch changed. Got home, first time I shut it off: key stuck again.

Took it back to the dealer: he had no problem getting it out. Got home again and the fool thing hung on to the key until I diddled the little button underneath the steering wheel.

Called the dealership from the car itself while the key was stuck. They said bring it back in !!!! By that time I said I would drive it for awhile to see if it got any better as I said I had spent all day on this runaround. OMG: I wound up paying for a repair only to get the same BS problem I went in with.

Ran the car around town yesterday, all three stops, no problem. Get to the mail box, turn off the car, key stuck again.

Today I tried it at least 6 times. Four out of those times the key came out. The last time it didn't and had to use the override button.

I shouldn't have even bothered. May just take the thing to CarMax and sell it outright. The 63 Valiant I have has only had a problem starting when someone stole the battery out of it !!!!!!!!!!!!
    And the only time I have replaced an ignition switch has been when I lost the keys and had to replace it.

As a matter of fact, in all my years of driving that's the only one I have ever had to replace.

On #3 with the ION now and the 7th trip for the same problem with no resolution.....
  • flabbergastedflabbergasted Member Posts: 3
    OH M G! My car has the SAME issue, as well as 2 other issues I am reading about! VERY FRUSTRATING. This ignition issue defintely seems to be temperature related because my car has only done this in cold weather, and yes it matter whether you wait 9 minutes or 10 minutes before retrying. 10 IS the magic number! I have argued with my husband over this time and again! He will go out every 5 minutes and I tell him, "You have to wait 10 minutes!" Oh, and if you wait 20, that's too long. I think it has something to do with the connections. Cold=Shrink, Heat=Expand. So, basically, my therory is, the connection is cold and therefore not connecting correctly. Somehow, when you try to crank it the first time it gets it warming up, but it takes 10 minutes, and if you wait too long, it will be cold again. It is VERY annoying. I called the dealership the 1st time it happened, and they wanted to charge an arm and leg to investigate it, not including a repair. UNCOOL! Now, come to find out, a LOT of Saturn owners are experiencing the SAME THING?! That just ticks me off. :lemon: I also am experiencing the power steering and cooling fan problem several others seem have experienced or are experiencing. This is CRAP! I am fixing to raise a BIG stink at my local GM dealer.
    edited July 2011
    All I can say is: do what is described above and email your VIN and # to the GM customer service site listed in previous posts here. I was skeptical as you can see from the posts, but they really came through.

I am stunned at the way I was treated: car is back and problem is resolved. It was a two part problem.Ignition switch I paid for, the other, a $400.00 repair GM covered.

The other issue with the ignition was with the connection between the shifter and the key release in the ignition, some sort of sensor where the whole unit had to be replaced.

Because it had been replaced 20,000 miles before under warranty and the car only has 48,000 miles they replaced it.

ORielly Chevrolet here in Tucson proved themselves genuine Authorized Saturn Service Providers. And I will be using them for maintenance from here on.

Let them try to help you as there is also an extended warranty on the electronic power steering. Going in raving won't help, simply make a case for your problem with GM Customer Service and let them try to fix the problem. They'll open a repair ticket & take you through the process.

Have you had this ignition switch repaired before ? Your car is a 2003 ? How many miles ? Have you given the GM people a chance to look at it ? If you've never had the problem before you've been lucky.

Mine is finally fixed and I'm grateful. Brilliant customer service on their part. Car was out of warrnaty but had been repaired under warranty twice before and the dealer that repaired it wasn't the one that sold the car.

They get a 10. And I was NOT expecting any satisfaction. Maybe this IS a new GM
  • flabbergastedflabbergasted Member Posts: 3
    Well, you see, my car is an '04 and back in about '06 my car just went over the 36,000 mile mark and the ignition problem started. :sick: So, I have been dealing with this MANUFACTURER'S DEFECT for, what is that, 5 years now. :confuse: If it is cold, I know that I need to go turn the ignition to get the connection warming up and wait 10 minutes to try to start the car. Is this an inconvenience to me? YOU BET! I can't tell you how many times I have been tardy to work, or had to sit in the parking lot somewhere in the freezing cold waiting 10 minutes for the car to get ready to start. Oh, and it took a little bit to figure out that 10 was the magic number. I called Saturn when the problem began, and of course it wasn't covered under warranty anymore, so they were going to charge labor to find out what the problem is plus parts and labor to correct, and I didn't have the money so nothing has been done, I have just been dealing with this problem. Now, I have 2 new, common apparantly, problems. The cooling fan and the power steering. I'm sorry, but if these problems are MANUFACTURER DEFECTS I shouldn't have to pay for squat. As a matter of fact, I remember Saturn mentioning something about the ignition switch being defective and I remember arguing that I shouldn't have to pay for the repair then, and they explained that since the warranty had expired, then the repair was not covered. BULL! :mad: It is a MANUFACTURER DEFECT! :mad: I should not be required to pay for something that was defective when the car was manufactured. So, I'm going to go in and talk nicely about the issue and see if they will take care of me. I will give them an opportunity, but I am pretty sure what will happen and I will end up raising a big stink. They just better hope that I leave my hubby at home, because he'd raise an even bigger stink. We shall see.

Thanks for the advise! ;)
    edited July 2011
    I totally get it. I have been fighting mine since 12,000 miles and it is just now fixed. For how long who knows. How many miles are on your car now?

Maybe the fact that mine was fixed before under warranty and not 20,000 miles ago helped.

The offer of help from GM Customer Service [see posts from "gmcustsrv", click on that link ] is a effective route to get people higher up involved. They will be in a position to help you better make your case. See post # 580.

My service diagnostic was only $59.00 and the diagnostic waived when I had the repair done IIRC.

And the power steering has an extended warranty for replacement.

Not trying in the least to diminish the aggravation. Been there. But I got some satisfaction where I had no confidence there would be any.

And in 5 years you haven't had any dealership attempt to repair your car or given them a chance to work with you, just called and asked them ? You haven't given them a real opportunity from the first to fix it ?

Not to diminish any of the problems. Believe me I have had [and still have] a skeptical view of GM and the cars it builds because of this.

But take it step by step and start with using the link in this thread and contact GM with your VIN and phone # and description of the problem. It's obvious they read the postings here as that's how I found the link. And at least they're making an offer to help, rather than you going to the dealer and losing it [and your credibility].

I think the same way you do, don't mistake it. Just don't want you to blow your case because you've got a short fuse. [Been there too ;) ]
    I'm still waiting for my son to send me his repair paperwork so I can begin a GM Customer Assistance file, but I found a recall for ignition switch letter in my files. We have until August 31, 2011 to file for reimbursement. I imagine since your car is a 2003 and ours is a 2005 is why we can still file, but you might mention the recall when you go talk to someone. Unfortunately, we had to have the body control module and fuse box replaced ($1300)and not the ignition switch so we may be totally out of luck, but you would think with everyone posting problems on this blog that something would get done to reimburse all of us. :lemon: Good luck and I look forward to reading more from you.
  • justjessicajustjessica Member Posts: 18
    Probably need new tumblers. Mine did the same but my key wouldn't come out. My mechanic replaced the tumblers, no problems w/the key since.
    It's weird. That was replaced 20,000 miles ago and they claim it was "worn out" this time and replaced the thing as well as cut new keys.

It's ironic as I chose the car with as few power accessories as possible to avoid things going haywire down the road. The engine and transmission are stout, the polymer helps to keep the body looking nice, should be a fine candidate for long term driving. Theory shot down.

Only later did I find out that the ION , at the time, had the most sophisticated electronic system in it's category. I had read that the 03s and 04s were the most problematic and the 05s had addressed the ignition problem and had all the improvements shared with it's Cobalt cousin which was new for that year.

Another of my theories shot down: never buy a car in it's first year of production, wait a couple so all the bugs can be worked out.

Still it's nice to have the car back. And the service people have been Grade A.
  • lovinlife011lovinlife011 Member Posts: 1
    Bought this car used in March. within a couple weeks, car alarm would go off every 20 minutes in the middle of the night, and would have to use the remote to reset, but then the inside lights would stay on. Found on another online forum that the moonroof drains were clogged and some switches were bad. Had that fixed and that solved the issue for now. Then shortly after the car wouldn't start. Battery fine, took to my mechanic, who couldn't find anything, but thought it may have been the starter. Replaced that, and now it's happened again. Found this forum tonight and can't believe what I am reading here. From what I see it looks like it's a passcode issue? So sorry I bought this car as we can't afford an unreliable car for work and school commuting. Now I'm reading about power steering problems and keys getting stuck in the ignition. I just am looking for a starting point for who I may contact at GM , and a way to keep my daughter from being stranded every time this happens.
  • aj87aj87 Member Posts: 2
    trying to find out the cost to get my 04 saturn ion fixed........the car acted like it wanted to turn over but never did.....changed starter battery....and alternator....still makes a cranking noise.....after several times car had shut off....and only the lights come on now.....can someone please give me advice....email is andrew.meekins@yahoo.com....thanks...
  • saturntech9saturntech9 Member Posts: 152
    As far as the starting problem goes sounds like a bad ignition switch a pretty common problem on those cars.If you have the body control module scanned for codes and you find a b2960 and or a b3033 then you need a new ignition switch which contains your pass lock sensor.The switch is only like 50 its a pretty easy install you just have to relearn the new pass lock sensor.As far as the other problem goes i would need you to have the computer scanned for codes and you give me the exact code numbers and we could go from there.
    As far as the key not turning off is most likely caused by a bad micro switch at the base of the shifter.Its a wired set the mirco switch gear indicator light and the shift lock solenoid really comm on problem on that car.I cant belive they didnt check that out.Its esy to change you just remove the console and its right there.Also 2003 was the first year for the ion it replaced the S model saturn which ended in 2002.
  • aj87aj87 Member Posts: 2
    so would this cause the car to not start at all.....because once i kept trying to start it....the message board said service engine...and the lock symbol had came on....now the only thing the car does is turn ....and how much does the power sterring chip cost....
    A bad ignition switch will cause a no start you will get a brief crank then no crank with a security light on.So are you loosing powering steering while driving?There is a power steering computer but most of the time its the motor that goes bad on those cars.You will have to get the power steering codes read and depending on the code is what your going to test and repair.Most indepent shops dont have a scanner to read the power steering also if you have the body control module scanned and have a B3033 and or B2960 you have a bad ignition switch.I would also have the engine computer scanned as well for codes.
    edited July 2011
    Thanks. They replaced the entire shift thing, had to order from L.A.

Oh yes, I am aware the ION's first model year was 2003, but the first models for sale were available in fall 2002 as 2003 models. GM has known about the problem since introduction is what I should have said.

And someone had to sign off with the supplier for this POS piece even earlier than that. The first problems started showing up not long after the first IONs hit the streets and GM just let it go on for years afterward.

That's what makes the continued problem so far into the run and then using the same garbage in other lines so infuriating.

Is there any way to simply to keep that key release button under the steering wheel depressed ? It's likely going to happen again and I would rather do that than doing the "cut the white wire" fix. Or even swapping the ignition switch for yet another defective replacement piece.

Also read here on Edmunds about a Passlock by pass kit that's out there. No one is going to steal this car, and I could do without the Passlock junk.