Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    lovinlife011,
    I apologize for your frustrations. I would like to see if there are any open recalls for your vehicle; can you please send me your VIN?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    flabbergasted,
    Can you please send me your VIN and current mileage? I apologize for your frustrations. If you can let me know what’s going on at the dealer as well, I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • saturntech9saturntech9 Member Posts: 152
    A new ignition switch isnt going to fix the key not turning off iam not going to tell anyone how to defeat the safety device that keeps you from turning the key off and removing it while the car is in gear.Like i said before there is a micro switch on the the base of the shifter shaft that has probably failed and its pretty easy to change that is causing the key from being turned off in park.As far as the ignition switch goes they made atleast 4 redesigned part numbers on that i can remember.The aftermarket one that auto zone sells is made by wells you could try that one its about 50 iam not sure who makes the other one for saturn besides maybe ac delco.I used that auto zone one in someone elses cars over a year ago and its still working.Replace my nieces 2003 ion like over 3yrs ago with a foactory one and it still is working fine.
  • hmmmdonutshmmmdonuts Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    My problem is that it won't start. I may have to turn the key 5, 10, 50 times before anything happens under the hood. With the key turned, I have full electrical function inside the car, but no click or turn over of the engine. Eventually it starts - usually. Today, I tried for about 7 minutes to make it go, then the key locked up. Ironically, on the next turn trying to get the key out, it started, then wouldn't shut off or release the key. It's at the dealership now, and they are saying hat they will replace the key cylinder, but that still may not fix the not starting issue. They can't get it to reproduce and it isn't "showing any codes."

When I took it in today, the guy that 1st looked at it said that it was very common and all Saturns eventually have this happen. Seriously? Yet they can't fix it?

I do have an extended warranty, but I'm tired of paying the deducible for the same thing over and over without getting fixed.
  • kikibkikib Member Posts: 14
    my son had the same problems....ask your guy to look at your fuse box and see if it's burned out and if the body control module needs to be replaced...ever since those were replaced on his car, it has been working perfectly
    hmmmdonuts,
    Can you please email me directly? Please include your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I look forward to working with you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • justjessicajustjessica Member Posts: 18
    Almost a 90 degree day today and the "no start" problem happened today after running a few errands. Last stop and it didn't start. Hasn't happened in months! I actually thought it was done giving me problems. Ha! Silly me. what was I thinking??!!
    Was the security light on solid or flashing?If so then you probably have a bad ignition switch.The best way to find that out is to have your body control module scanned for codes which the auto parts store cant scan that computer.If you have a B3033 and or B2960 then you have a bad ignition switch.
  • rcousinslpnrcousinslpn Member Posts: 2
    Our 2003 saturn sometimes will just not start. It will turn over halfway then nothing. We try 6 or 7 times and nothing, then a half start and then its back to square 1. If we wait about 30 or 40 minutes and try again it will eventually start. It does this mostly when running errands usually after the second stop. It doesn't do it all the time but it does it at least 2 or 3 times a week. I've replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs and wires, as well as the battery cables. somebody help.
    have your mechanic check the fuse box to see if it's burned out and check the body control module
    Read my reply above yours sounds like a bad ignition switch very common for those to go bad.There like 50.00.
  • grlfrnd69wlbgrlfrnd69wlb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Ion and it was dropped off to the dealer today after being stranded with my 2 girls at a store for 45 minutes. The ignition switch issue started in the cold winter(we live in Maine) when the car would not start and I had to heat the key with a lighter due to the frozen excessive grease in the switch..Once summer came I continued to have issues with it not starting ..waiting 10 minutes and trying again..I have taken it to car places and when you tell them your car starts when it wants to, they cant find anything wrong as altinator and starter are fine..So after being stranded at a store for long periods of time with my groceries and children - I dumped it to the local dealer.
    Im very angry I need to pay $400 to fix a problem saturn and GM have known about all along. This is a manufactoring issue -everyone knows it..For the owners of Ions to be frustrated with GM everyday they drive their car is not even good service..I would not be a GM vehicle anymore cause they can not stand behind their mistakes. GM used to be dependablity..Somewhere down the line they lost something as many others did

Thank you
  • hatesaturnionhatesaturnion Member Posts: 6
    For a couple years now, a couple times in nice weather, then almost every day in Wibter, my car will not start. I believe it is the anti-theft system. It will allow me to start 15-20 minutes after my initial attempt to start the car. This is frustrating since I paid my car off in full a year ago, never missed a payment, and when I call the help phone line, they expect ME to pay out of pocket for a diagnosis on a known problem with the faulty design of the ION. I wonder why there are no more ION's out there being made... because it was a faulty design that we are all struggling with!!! My newborn and I would have to wait in the cold for this car to start if we stopped off to get gas or something. It's extremely frustrating that Saturn and GM does not own up to its faulty design and take accountability. Of course my warranty is up, so they expect me to pay out of pocket but I refuse!! There is nothing wrong with my battery, fuses, etc. because I have a mechanic in the family and he diagnosed it for me. I hate GM and their cars and if they do not handle this, I will be sure to find a way to create a class action lawsuit.
    Read my post below!! I had the exact same problem. Class action lawsuit will need to be created. This is ridiculous!! I got stranded with my newborn in Winter!!! I paid my car off way before I needed- $20,000 in the drain!!! Only 75,000 miles and now I need to get a new car because I am tired of being stranded. Saturn and GM need to take accountability!!
  • dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    All a class action suit will do is enrich the lawyers who bring it and get you a coupon for a couple of hundred dollars off another GM car.The people bringing suit, as in most things, get squat once the shouting is over.

Read the earlier posts and email GM Customer Service your vin and phone #. You have to begin some course of action, even if it costs you 59.00 for them to "diagnose" a known problem.
    If your handy with tools its a 50 part the ignition switch its alot better then getting stranded somewhere.
    If there charging you 400 just to replace the ignition switch i would have it done somewhere else or do it myself its so easy to change you can by the switch for 50 at the parts store.
  • vader87vader87 Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading the multiple posts about starting problems. I've been having problems for the last couple of years. Like others I've replaced the battery a couple times. I put the car in my garage during the winter with a ceramic heater in the cabin. This allows me to get to work but then I have to wonder if it will start at quitting time.

Now that it's summer, I still have to keep in the garage but don't need to use the heater. If I leave the car outside usually the dampness or if it rains will prevent the car from starting.

I was leaving work yesterday and it was 87 degrees and it wouldn't start. Usually it will start after 3-4 attempts but it took 30 minutes to start. This is so frustrating.

The sway bar bushing was replaced last year and now it needs replacing again. My car has around 135,000 miles on it. I was hoping to get to 200,000 but I don't think I can put up with it much longer.

I've seen the You Tube video about cutting the white wire and thinking about giving that a try.

So even thought they don't make Saturn any more, STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM USED ONES!!!!
    As far as your starting concern it needs a ignition switch amazon has a ac delco one for like 23. There really easy to change.Now for you sway bar bushings did they ever change the brackets too?The 2003 and some of the earlier 2004 ions had the first sway bar bracket design the later second design holds the sway bar tighter.If you give me the last 8 of your vin i can tell you if you need them.
  • rcousinslpnrcousinslpn Member Posts: 2
    My saturn just started with the check engine light, I went to see one of my students at auto zone, she pulled the codes and it was P0340 wich according to the machine is a camshaft position sensor, however according to the parts list Saturn Ion 2003 doesn't have one. So once again, HELP!
    Been there, done that! How many times am I supposed to have it replaced? Never heard of an ignition switch needing to be replaced even once in other cars unless it was a recall. Which it was and was taken care of. Passcode has been changed, new keys made, tumblers replaced, stopped using car alarm and remote locks all together. Please tell me what more could possibly be "changed"?
  • dozensaturndozensaturn Member Posts: 41
    To all those looking to replace the ignition switch (and that will almost certainly NOT cure the problem), the same original GM switch for $49.xx will cost you less than $20 at ROCKAUTO.com ....

The ignition problem is a SAD issue.
    And it is not related to winter conditions as so many are referring to.
    One of our ION's had this problem (as so many many times before) numerous times last week, heat index was 106 and it required the usual wait 10 minutes etc before starting. After 3 'dead' attempts, the 4th after 30 minutes it started right up! Go figure.
    GM is simply not taking responsibility to issue a proper repair instruction - instead they rather see that Saturn ION owners purchase NON-GM vehicles when changing out the failing Saturn ION's ....
    Have replaced 4 so far with NON-GM cars, 5 more is due this fall/winter ... One thing is certain, it will not be GM products.
  • notlkhnotlkh Member Posts: 6
    Since the last time I posted here, my ion has not stopped starting even once, which is normal behavior during the summer for my ion. I expect it to stop starting maybe once a month, if that, until October or November, whereupon it should become a weekly event, then in December about at least a daily event. This has been the pattern for 5 years, since I purchased this vehicle. Which is strange since it seems inconsistant with your observations that it is not related to the weather/season.

Do you experience any variations whatsoever between the temperature/humidity extremes?
    notlkh,

Have you had the vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Once I had it in for a service early on, and I mentioned the issue, but I was told that they couldn't do anything since no error code showed up, and that it started fine there.

Eventually I came across this thread, and saw how prevalent this issue is, and how it seems to be unaddressable by GM, I've decided to live with it. I don't mind 10 minutes of extra reading time every now and then, just so long as I'm not freezing too many times during a cold winters day.

However, if you think it is worth trying again, when should I do it? Would it be worth doing now, when it hasn't happened in over a month? Or should I wait until it happens, and then get it in as soon as possible, within a day or two of the issue ocurring again?
    You need to have the ignition switch replaced the first bulletines we got at the saturn dealer for the no starts said the no start is worse at temps of 40 degrees or less.I would just replace the ignition switch if it was my car.I know the auto zone ignition switch is made by wells and has a lifetime warranty.
    notlkh,

If you are not having any problems at this time I would encourage you to wait until you are experiencing these concerns to have the vehicle brought into the dealership. At that time please be sure to contact us directly and we will be able to assist in setting up a case with GM Customer Assistance to try and get these problems resolved.

Thank you,
    I would only wait to get the switch fixed if gm customer service was for sure going to pay for it?Otherwise if you know someone handy with tools its a easy fix amazon has the switch for 22 and i will give full replacement instructions.Otherwise why put yourself thru anymore years of this no start you have been lucky so far.I have seen some of those switches not let the car start for a day or more.Its up to you its your car and your burden.
    You better hurry up getting to a gm dealer ... the window is less than ten, yes ten minutes and the car may start and the dealer cannot trace the problem. GM need to get a car that is 'guaranted' to have the starting problem and to the diagnostics themselves. I have at least one, that act up every week, sometimes more than once in one day! I will gladly sell them this vehicle ... By the way, to change the AC Delco Switch (less than $20 at Rockauto.com ... same as the GM dealer sell for $49) is NOT the answer.
    So many opinions about this issue.

DozenSaturn first is adamant that the issue is not weather related,
    Saturntech9 insists it is the ignition switch, and should be changed immediately
    GMCustsvc suggests waiting until it stops starting and let the dealership diagnose and correct,
    And then Dozensaturn points out that the diagnostic window is the 10 minutes that it won't start...

It seems that the white wire method is the most reliable, but to me it also suggests that the issue is not currently diagnosable, as I don't believe the diagnostics have been designed to detect variations in resistance in a wire due to possible temperature variations, and I also agree with the 10 minute diagnostic window that Dozensaturn mentioned.

But the ignition switch, is it physically connected to the white wire? If not, I don't see how it could correct the starting issue...
  • dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    The white wire fix as mentioned also sets off a light on the dash that can get you failed on smog and other inspections. That's mentioned in one of the "how to" videos on You Tube as well.

There is a Passlock "bypass" kit available that I read about in this very Edmund's thread that is sold by car stereo outfits that's been used with some success .
    Yes there are many opinions about the 'starting issue' ... Yet, GM has not come thru with a corrective repair procedure, nor even issued any recommendations other than tow the vehicle to a GM dealer for diagnostic tests ...
    The fact is - not all ION's that we have or have had experience this problem. Of our's, one is notorius - several times a week, sometimes multiple times the same day. Another one a handful times per year. Then other's that has never had that problem. We are 'facing out' the ION's for non GM vehicles.
    It really disturbs to read how many - even at dealerships get taken and have the battery replaced. The battery is NOT the cause of the problem.

Would it not be great if GM would announce a solution to this problem, and then stand behind that to be correct - and this problem would go into the history books!
    My advice comes from being a saturn factory trained tech i worked for saturn dealers fixing them over 16yrs.My niece bought the first year saturn ion a 2003 and she still has it and it had that starting issue everyone is talking about.I replaced the ignition switch with a new factory one from the dealer i worked at.It was well over three years ago has to be closer to four and she hasnt complained of it not starting again.But we live in sunny southern california and she works in palm springs california where it gets really hot during the summer so that would kill the hot weather fail idea.Last summer my friend who owns a 2006 ion who lives in indio california a little past palm springs and it gets a little out there then palm springs.Every winter only when it cold out his car wouldnt start i replaced his ignition switch with one from auto zone over a year ago and they told me it was made by wells.Most of the ignition switchs i repalced on the ions when i worked at the saturn dealer before they all closed i replaced in the colder part of the year.Thats when they mostly came there were some during summer but not like in colder part of the year.They have redesigned the switch like 3 or 4 times because thenpart number kept changing.There was also bulletines if it was this part number change the switch.If you were to have no start and brought it right in iam sure they would find the B2960 and or B3033 codes in the body control module like some people are talking about do the diagnostics.But from my expernice if it was my car or a family members or friends car i would just change the ignition switch.But its your car and up to you what you want to do.Sounds like the one person works for gm customer service that is telling you to wait till it happens and have it diagnosed.Havent seen a post from them since i said maybe if they can for sure tell you it will be a free repair to possible think about waiting.But now you have the facts to base your decision on.Just hope a emergency doesnt happen and it doesnt start when you could have just replaced the switch.
    Caron,

GM Customer service has done nothing but give me the run around. If you want my case #, I can give it to you... but basically they tell me I need to go to a GM dealer... which I did before... but now they are no longer a GM dealer, so I need to go to a new place and pay them out of pocket to diagnose the issue. This is a GM ponzi scheme- the dealers make money and GM moves on to other things, not caring about its customers. Customers want #1 -issue reolution and for GM to take accountability for their faulty ION models with ignition start problems. GM customer service is not doing that. What I would really love is for Saturn/GM to pay for me to get the problem diagnosed and fixed- maybe a total of $500 at the most. Will GM do that? NO!!! I have requested, and still get the run around. Now Caron- you tell me what I can do!
  • mkreishermkreisher Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had a problem with their saturn turning off on its own while driving down the street? Ive never had a problem starting it but occasionally (3 times in the past 4-5 months) the car has turned off after I went over a bump while driving down the road. I got a new battery and that didnt fix the problem. Ive read all over the internet that this is a problem with Saturn Ions and not even Saturn can figure out how to fix it. Any help/comments would be extremely awesome. Thank you! Oh, Ive got a 2005 with a lil over 100,000 miles.
    So when it dies when you hit a bump will it restart right away?Also have you had it scanned for codes yet?The engine and body computer?Those ions have had a lot of issues with terminal tightness issue i have found a lot of open terminals causing all kinds of problems.One thing you can try and has helped me find loose terminals on those cars is let the car idle and smack the under hood fuse box with your hand on top side etc also do the same with inside fuse box/bcm see if the car dies.
    Its a easy cheap fix if your handy with tools or know someone that is all you have to do is replace the switch and relearn the pass lock sensor.The switch at auto zone are 50 and the ones on amazon are 22.If you have been having issues lately with it like the last couple of days you can have body control module scanned for codes and have a B2960 and or B3033 then you have a bad switch.If it was my car and it was intermintantly not starting i would just replace the switch.
    So when did you replace the switch?They have redesigned that switch 3 or 4 times.You can replace it with one from auto zone there switch is made by wells its a easy replacement.
    yes, my son had exactly the same problem of his saturn ion 2005 turning off on its own....he also had problems starting it....finally, after it wouldn't start when he went to pick it up from the dealership when they said sorry but we couldn't duplicate the problem, a service guy finally figured out it was a burned out fuse box and it needed a new body control module. the bcm had to be ordered from west virginia and the fuse box from michigan (he goes to school in louisiana) but it's been fine ever since....$1300 later!
  • perkiekatperkiekat Member Posts: 3
    I just ran into this same problem last night. I tried to turn my car off and the key would not go the the lock position and my car kept running! After 1 1/2 hours I finally found out what fuse to pull and I disconnected the battery to turn the car completely off! What a deal! Of course I can't call Saturn until tomorrow morning but I will be making that call. Just last month my Power Steering had to be replaced. Saturn covered that. Since this issue has been an on-going issue for YEARS and Saturn is very aware of it...Saturn should fix it.
    Like you, if they don't cover the cost, I am calling my attorney general office and get their opinion on what my next step will be. I can't afford to have this repaired. I am by myself and barely making ends meet now without having to repair Saturn's faulty car when they should step up to the plate and fix this issue. It's nothing I done that caused this. I keep my car maintained regularly so the blame is not with me, it's Saturn. I will post what they tell me tomorrow.
    You are correct, this has been going on years, in fact ever since the ION:s entered the market with the 2003 model, and we have had 03's 04's and 05's ...
    Sold off the 03's, still have one 04 with starting problems on the average 5 times a week - year around, in the 'cold' 50-60 degrees and in the warm 80-95 ... no difference, problem is the same.
    This '04 is next to go in exchange for a non GM product.
    Also have several '05 ... One of the 05's has this problem but only once in a while.
    I agree, Saturn is very aware of this problem, but they (read GM) do not recognize it - that is the problem ... not recognizing it - in the hopes all dissatisfied Saturn owners is going to remain GM customers, well we are not as 4 ION's is gone so far - with the rest to go as well ...
    Yes, after hitting the bump and the car turning off, all I have to do is restart it and its fine. It has done this about 3 times within the past 4 months, its very random. Luckily I wasnt on the freeway any of those times.
    Ive read from several different people that they replaced their fuse box and their ignition switch and a few months later the car would turn off on its own again. Also, that they have had their car scanned for codes and no code comes up. I cant afford to do all of this when I have a feeling these people are correct and my money would just go to waste.
    I also came across a thread on a different message board form a guy who spoke to saturn and hired a lawyer and everything after having spent $1,000's on parts for his car and still having the same problem. He said after months of going back and forth with GM they finally took responsibility and admitted that this is a problem with Saturn Ions and they don't know how to fix it, so they gave him a settlement. I think Im gonna get rid of my car, I really dont wanna die on the freeway (or at all)!
    It was replaced the winter of 2005 as per the recall and again by my mechanic in 2009. But seriously, why should I have to replace it more than once? This is ridiculous.
    perkiekat,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • johnaneyjohnaney Member Posts: 3
    We've been having the same problem people are describing here with our 2005 Saturn Ion. Frequently we put the key in the ignition, turn it, and the passlock system comes on. Then we have to wait 10 minutes to retry. Sometimes this happens more than once.

It used to be that this only happened when it was cold. Since we live in Northern California, we weren't too concerned about it, as it only happened a couple of times a year. Now, however, it is happening much more frequently, regardless of weather or temperature.

The main problem we are having is that waiting 10 or 20 minutes (with the kids in the car) often means coming in to work 10 or 20 minutes late. My tardiness has been commented on by my supervisor, and I can only use the "car trouble" excuse a few times, ya know?

My spouse is also looking for a job and, although this has not happened yet, this problem could make him late for an interview.

I know - the solution is to allow enough time in case it happens, but with two kids, our lives are planned down to the last second, and we don't have a lot of wiggle room in our schedule.

I am thinking of calling our Attorney General's office and filing a formal complaint. If enough of us living in California do that, perhaps something might start to change!

jta
  • perkiekatperkiekat Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2011
    I have already called GM-Saturn this morning and was bluntly told by a Saturn Customer Rep that Saturn will not fix my issue because it is not a "recall" issue.
    And why is this NOT on a recall? Way too many people have had the same problem with their ignition. So are you going to tell me the same thing? This is going to cost me well over $500.00 to fix and I should NOT have to pay for this since GM/Saturn has been and still is aware of the key ignition issue for years.
    You can believe this...I will NEVER buy another GM product and will encourage others in person and on the internet to stay as far away from GM as they can. I am also calling my states attorney's office and see what they have to say about this. Just Google Saturn Ion Key Ignition Issues and you will find TONS of complaints, something like 94,900 results.

Tell me that Saturn will pay for this...I have an appointment with the car service manager on Wednesday at 4:00 pm central time. Please don't try to make yourself look good by posting "Send me your VIN number"...if you are NOT going to correct this issue and pay for the work on the car. :mad:
    perkiekat,

I apologize for your frustrations I asked for the VIN to further look into your vehicles history, recalls and etc. Each case is handled on a case by case basis and without asking for your VIN and looking into it I personally cannot evaluate your situation or guarantee GM will pay for any of the repairs.

Thank you,
    mkreisher,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you had the vehicle into your local GM dealership?

Thank you,
    edited August 2011
    No, because I have heard several horror stories about GM replacing this and repairing that and thousands of dollars later the problem still isnt fixed. I was gonna take it to a GM until they convienently left out the part about me paying $125 just to have someone hook it up to their computer. $125 are you serious? Im done with it! Im getting rid of my car and never buying GM again! Its bad enough that you guys wont recall the ignition switch (or whatever the cause is) since the key wont come out, but at least that isnt gonna kill me like this will...eventually!

*And I can not recreate the problem. I know their gonna say if they cant see the problem then they cant fix it. No codes will show up, and its not the ignition or the fuse box...its a problem with the way GM makes cars.

Thank you for replying though :)
    hatesaturnion,

I understand your frustrations with your situations. As all major companies or corporations, we have standard operating procedures. GM does handle their customers individually, not all situations are the same, so they must be handled on a case by case basis. I am here to help make GM aware of your situations. The only way I can do this is with your assistance. First, I need your contact information (including a good number to reach you), VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and a break down of what you are experiencing. The best way to get me this information is a direct email. The vehicle must be taken to a GM Dealer. They have a contract with GM and must look at the vehicle. For GM to know you are experiencing issues, you must contact GM; whether it is me via email or Customer Assistance via the telephone. This will help identify the problem and how large it is. I understand when you are experiencing these concerns these processes can be frustrating. All concerns, whether it be with a dealer or your vehicle, are documented in the cases set up if you directly contact GM. If you would like to call Customer Assistance and speak with someone the number is in your owners manual, or email me and I can provide it to you. If you would like me to assist you, please feel free to email me the information requested above.

Thank you,