Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

Comments

• saturntech9saturntech9 Member Posts: 152
    So when it wont start is the security light on solid or flashing?If so you probably have a bad ignition switch i have replaced tons of them for that reason.
  • chasekroenleinchasekroenlein Member Posts: 1
    Seriously, no one knows how to fix this problem? I have the same issue and Saturn needs to fix the problem. I cant go through many more winters with out a reliable car.
  • dozensaturndozensaturn Member Posts: 41
    Seriously ... Don't think saturn or gm knows how to fix the problem - if so how come they have not issued a bulletin to the dealers long time ago (this was a problem when saturn was still 'in business') in order to put an end to this issue. And, by the way the winter season in not any worse than the summers ... South East and Florida, we have it year around!!! Our best help is self help, sell off the saturn vehicle, and go for any brand other than gm. Our other non gm vehicles don't have this problem - I wonder why?
  • pamela519pamela519 Member Posts: 62
    Sadly, GM doesn't care. I have had the "GM" girls on here, who do seem to care, but they have no power. they take your name set a file up and for the most part for most of us it ends there. My problem started way before my warranty ran out. I had a file set up for me and the man assured me GM would do everything they could. then I get a call from his supervisor saying he is off my file and they will not be helping me as i am over warranty... one would think that with close to 50 pages and and 861 postings that GM would actually do something. so many people with the same problem and this is only one blog... One would think GM would do a recall, but of course not. they'd rather monitor these blogs and do next to nothing. they have helped a few people, but from what I can see on this blog there are more people like us.... i live in southern california. i have had this problem in all seasons
    If you find a solution, please let me know. i have had a new battery installed, new starter and as i said previously, it worked for 1 week. then i got in the car and they key is now stuck in the ignition between on and off, so probably ruined a brand new battery. I am going to try the ignition relay switch which many have said is the problem we all have. a $25 part. Unfortunately, bringing it to the dealer they insist on running a diagnostic (another $129)....
  • oblio9oblio9 Member Posts: 19
    Cut the white wire. It's free.
  • brava58brava58 Member Posts: 27
    I won't cut the wire. I'd rather get rid of the piece of crap and get an actual reliable car.

How do you resell the car after cutting the wire?
  • rb52rb52 Member Posts: 3
    I know I posted this awhile back but I thought I would post this one more time and hope it helps atleast one person. I to had the winter "no starts" and had to numerous times go out and bring family members home when they used my car. I did research this on other Ion sites and discussed this with a former saturn mechanic. There is a bulletin that GM sent out, I no longer have the number for the bulletin - sorry! The bulletin does point out the ignition switch problem and calls for a replacement, but is not a recall - you will have to pay for the replacement. Also, when I took it in and told them that there is a bulletin regarding the ignition switch the GM mechanic kept on repeating "so you want us to replace the ignition switch". I kept on repeating "check your bulletins for this problem". He found it. Yes it cost me $350 but I have yet to have a starting problem since or any other. Good Luck!

Rick
  • notcrankyionnotcrankyion Member Posts: 9
    It seems that for most of the problems that people are having with the no crank/no start issue, replacing the ignition relay switch is the answer. Even if it has to be done multiple times. I'm on my second replacement (third overall) so far. Forget the starters, that shouldn't be the problem. The battery too for the most part. Unless you have a tester that says the battery is dead of course. If you don't want to get ripped off with the diagnostic fee at a dealer, try finding a pretty reliable mechanic local to you and ask them to replace the ignition switch. The part where the key gets stuck in the ignition cylinder might be a different issue - and I've had my cylinder replaced too. Still, with 2 replacement switches and 1 cylinder it is still cheaper than a replacement BCM - or a 'new to me' car.
    Thanks. I think my battery was just dead. it apparently did need replacing. and as far as the starter, the mechanic, the dealership and then my daughter's friend who is very good with cars agreed. but at least with him it was $187 for the part and he put it in. the mechanic wanted $300, the dealer $600! I have told all of them I need the ignition relay switch, that's what I always started with. Maybe, being a woman they think i don't know what I'm talking about. and my key getting stuck.. this is the 1st time this has happened to me. I need to get the car towed to the friend's house and he said he would replace the ignition relay switch (a $25 part). I have to get rid of my car. I hate it and am so over dealing with GM. only problem - I don't have money to be making car payments.
  • luvinvc15luvinvc15 Member Posts: 1
    saturntech9,
    You mentioned in another post that you had a customer in Indio? What part of CA do you work in? I'm willing to drive to Indio for you to fix my 2004 Saturn that's been having the same problem as everyone else on here.
  • sd46916sd46916 Member Posts: 7
    Finally replaced the ignition switch at home, did the anti-theft re-learn process... without any major expense! . Not had a no-start problem since. Hope that's the end of it because I been dealing with the no-start problem the past 3 years... worse in cold weather. Very frustrating! Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the input from other owners & techs... NO THANKS TO GM!
  • badger78badger78 Member Posts: 1
    My fiance's 04' saturn just started having the same problem at 60k miles. Looks like from all these complaints gm doesnt stand behind their product. No recall? Dealerships cant figure it out? I'm not dumping money into this piece of junk so someone can say "im sorry".
  • shack4tomshack4tom Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I just found this website and it is a small comfort to find out there are others with same issue. Starts when the motor is warm but under 60 degrees? No, unless I have the hair dryer blowing hot air on the motor all night long. If it wont start then it fires once then nothing but sometimes it will start then run for 10 seconds and shut off, after turning key back to off I wait for 20 seconds and repeat I go through this procedude every morning.
    Where is this white wire to cut? If this 2004 Ion 2.2L was paid for I would trade it for something different. At times I have went outside to start the car 2 hours early and it wouldnt start for 90 minutes and other times it started at 4:30 am then I let it run until 6 then I went to work. I have a cousin working as plant manager at one of the GM factories but he had zero advice. I am just about to jack up the radiator cap and drive a Honda under it. Please give me feed back everyone.
    Less than 2hrs at home, a friend & I changed the ignition switch & reset the anti-theft system in y 2005 Saturn Ion2. Part was $50 at autozone. That was a month ago & no more problems since (knock wood). I had been dealing with the no-start problem for the last 3yrs & always worse in colder weather. So far so good. GM dealerships didn't help me either, just took my $$ & I atill had to deal with the problem. I thank Edmonds, the techs & other Saturn owners for their input on this site! No credit to GM!!!
    I got my Saturn in March 04 and that summer I started having the no start issue. The dealer gave me a new starter and I didn't have any problems until winter of 08/09. Every winter it's the same dingdong mess.

Why does it start if it's been sitting in the sun for several hrs at the same temp that I try to start it in the darkness of the early morning?
    edited December 2011
    It's an intermitted problem so no way to tell when it will act up for sure. Some days mine would start at 23 degrees, some days not. Usually, cold, early morning all but one time.. One day at 65 degree, sunny day it wouldn't start, but battery tested fine... ALLDATA.com helped us with how-to change part & reset the anti-theft at home (no dealership bs fees!) which was easy to follow instructions. My 2005 Saturn has 143,000+ miles on it now. I love my Saturn but this has definitely been pain in the [non-permissible content removed] problem.
    Replace the ignition switch really common issue on those they redisgned that switch three or four times for that issue i lost count on how many time they did.I worked for saturn for many many years and have replaced a ton of those switches.
    edited December 2011
    Ok, the switch (the very one I put the key into)? what kind of switch? Part#? Should I go with factory? knock off? I only want to do this once. I would rather pay someone to do this cuz I don't want it screwed up. I dont want the steering column in pieces and looking like someone driving with the vicegrips on the column end, I am in Concord Nc, is there someone nearby that has done this before? Should I take it to the dealer? is this a doit myself project? If so what video is available? I am really getting tired of this situation and I am afraid that some mechanic will see my fustration and charge me big$. Could you do this?
    Will I have 2 keys? Door and ignition?
  • marley5555marley5555 Member Posts: 5
    I'm so glad I found this discussion forum. I have a 2004 Saturn Ion and am experiencing the same thing. It's doing this hit and miss thing with not starting in the mornings. I can finally get it to start by turning over the engine, letting it rest about 2 minutes, then trying again. Usually about the 8th to 10th time, it will start. This morning, started right up! So you all are saying it's the ignition relay switch?? Looks like I'll give this a go.

Just to add, I specifically wanted to buy this used Saturn as I previously had a 1995 Saturn SL2 which I loved! I've got to say that I'm disappointed with this Saturn and the GM support. With 879 messages on this one issue, you would think it would be a recall!
    I am so beyond this.... I just found out last night the symbol that always came on was the check engine light... My problem of not starting/starting started in summer of 2009 and finally stopped turning on in May of this year. at first it was 12 minutes to the minute, not 10, not 11, but 12 and then it would start. as time went on it went as far as 1 hour. i finally had the car towed and I have put a new battery and starter in and finally had it working. One week later the key got stuck between on and off and this is where I am now. SOO FRUSTRATING considering they wanted $600 for the starter and $189 for the battery. I did pay for the battery and got one of my daughter's friend who is a genius when it comes to cars but in the starter. at this point with the key still stuck I pray I have not burnt out the starter, although the car won't do anything; probably killed the brand new battery. anyway, next the $25 ignition relay switch and is this doesn't work. I give up. I CAN NOT STAND GM. their customer service SUCKS (sorry ladies, but it does.. not you 2 on here, but the GM on the phone) and yes, 800+ comments and no recall. I can't wait to get rid of this piece of you know what
    I would just replace the switch i have replaced a ton of those when i worked at the satun dealer for this very same issue.The reason its not a recall is because they dont shut off while driving so its not a safety issue.
    Its the ignition switch not the key cylinder its on the other side of the ignition cylinder mounted to the ignition housing.All you have to do replace it is remove the left lower steering column shroud all you need is a 7mm nut driver to remove the shroud.Then a T-20 torx socket if memorey serves correct to remove the switch then you have to relearn the pass lock sensor.The ac delco switch part number is 10392423 if you want a video to replace it look on you tube.Otherwise i can give you info on replacement.Let me know if you need directions.
    What position is the key stuck in?If the key is stuck in the run position then you will need to replace the ignition housing and the ignition cylinder.Also is it stuck in that position?Or will it move to other positions if so which positions?
  • kikibkikib Member Posts: 14
    the key getting stuck could be the same problem my son had...turned out to be the gear shift box which made the car think it wasn't in park when it was and that's why it wouldn't release the key....so once the gear shift box was replaced, he hasn't had the problem
    Yes, I need all the instruction and help I can get. The you tube link and anything else you can dump on this dumb kid and thanks for all the help. If this is the ticket I'll keep this car for 300,000 miles more. :)
    Ok, I did it I cut that white wire! Ok are you happy now? I know I'm happy, I would have replaced the switch but I spent all the $ on Christmas and now I b broke. But I'm Happy! The real test will be tomarrow morning when it's cold out.
    Yeah! Went out there this morning and it started right up! I didn't have the hair dryer blowing hot air at the starter and no heater under the oil pan. No I didn't have the engine covered by blankets and the windows were covered with frost cuz it was cold, the car sits in the driveway out in the weather and yeah it started. I can live with a little yellow light on the dashboard. I am so happy. rolling up the extention cords and put the heaters away. Putting the blankets back in the closet. :):):):) sorry bout my emotions running over but I am going to enjoy my 2 hrs of freedom with a cup of coffee. Bye.
  • edw061000edw061000 Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading through this forum since my 2007 Saturn Ion started having power steering issues. It suddenly started one day when it shut off all of a sudden while I was driving. From then it has been off and on for no reason. I tried replacing the 60 amp fuse that controls the power steering (though the other one wasn't blown) and that didn't help.

Then all of a sudden it quit going out, this lasted for about a week until I was backing out of a parking space at a Home Depot and it turned off. I nearly hit the car next to me which was the final straw. I went home that day and took a look at the fuses again. I saw that none were blown, even took the power steering one out and inspected it again. Checked to see if any wires looked loose, or the box/panel itself. Everything checked out.

Next time I started my car the "pwr str" alert popped up but my power steering was fine. Now my speedometer doesn't work and also my car will not shift gears. It will only run in first and even hitting 4000 rpm it will not change gears. Now I cannot drive it and I have no clue what to do to fix the problem. Has anyone else had these electrical issues with their Saturn?

After inspecting the fuse panel, the wiring, and the connections I saw no problems. I'm at a loss.
  • kikibkikib Member Posts: 14
    yes, my son's 2005 Ion would do the same thing as well as have the key get stuck in the ignition.....first the dealership replaced the BCM (body control module) which fixed the sudden loss of power while driving....then the fuse box was replaced which fixed the nonstarting problem....then the gear shift box was replaced which fixed the key getting stuck in the ignition problem....all at our expense and many months of worry.....no help from GM, but at least he has a working car now....
  • edw061000edw061000 Member Posts: 2
    I'm really hoping to avoid having to replace half of the car engine for something faulty that GM isn't taking care of, but I might have to so I can have my car running again. Thanks for the answer.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    If you were to email us the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN, we could check into any open recall or special coverage information that might be associated to your vehicle.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ladyrae79ladyrae79 Member Posts: 3
    We have had our 2004 Saturn Ion since Oct 2004. We bought it brand new! This car has been a nightmare! It all started with the hosing around the sunroof. It was installed incorrectly. The water leaked into the car for 2 years before they finally found the issue. After that, the car would not start on cold days. The water had leaked into the fuse area! We had multiple complaints with Saturn. If I would have known about the lemon laws, I would have used them to replace the vehicle. After 4 years, the warranty was no good anymore. Then saturn started treating us like we were looking for free repair. They stopped looking at our car and told us we were responsible for future repairs when our car had cont. issues from when under warranty. Now when it is cold out and dark, the car wont start. If its light out and the sun is shining on it, it starts just fine! We have had the battery replaced and the ignition switch. I have run a diagnosis on it multiple times and nothing comes up! This car is a pain in my butt and I don't want to sell it and make it someone elses problem! I also don't want to dump any money into it either! WHY HASNT THIS MAKE AND MODEL OF A VEHICLE BEEN RECALLED? ESPECIALLY THIS ISSUE?
  • chelseawichelseawi Member Posts: 2
    I have been having the same issues with my 2003 Saturn Ion 2. I'm a bit upset because I purchased the car less than six months ago from a private dealer. The key has been getting stuck in the ignition a few times each month but tonight, while I'm all comfy in my apartment, that darn car is still on. I was able to pull the key out, and it's not running but the radio (on), and the dash are still lit up, because the key only comes out in the "on" position. I tried to cut it off many times, by starting it again and changing the gears from park to neutral. the thing is, like your Saturn, a few weeks ago, the power steering became really stubborn, and each time I would make a turn, the car struggles to go, even when I'm taking off from a light. I initially thought my transmission was going out, but now I'm thinking it's electrical also. I bought this car just to get to class, and I guess you really do get what you pay for.
  • dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    edited January 2012
    It's unfortunate. Many of us have been living with the problems since the car was new. I've had the switch and related parts replaced five times since I bought mine with 26 miles on the odo in 2005.

You bought a 9 year old used car. Don't fault yourself for "getting what you paid for". These are known problems and there are solutions. On the whole the rest of the car is okay.

If this is an automatic, there is a little door under the steering wheel that once removed allows you to press a release that will let you turn the key to the "off" position and remove the key. Not ideal but you can live with it till you get it sorted out. This is explained in the owner's manual. If you don't have one, go on eBay and get one. Something everyone should have and read but seldom do.

The intermittent electronic steering problem: it's covered by an extended warranty, but your car may now be too old. The steering is still there, it takes more effort on your part. It's not going to lock up on you.

It's a used car, it's going to have problems. Now you have to sort them out. A good start was coming here. Another is to find an enthusiast group for your brand that can answer more of your questions and you can learn more about your car.

Read other posts in this thread and contact the people from GM who read these entries and respond here. You may be able to find help for your problems through them.

Is this the 2 door ? Manual or auto ? How many miles ? The 2 door used a different transmission than the four door if it's an auto. That trans is a constant velocity belt driven trans [like on a snow mobile infinite speeds no shifting ] and is a notorious POS. That might explain your drivability problems more than the steering, but you need to have it checked out. Something isn't right.

I get what you're going through. Mine was almost traded for an 08 Ford Focus. It was fixed [and fixed again not too long ago] and I am still driving it.

Other than those problems, which nearly killed my enthusiasm for the car, it's enjoyable to drive, ride and travel long distances in. Great fuel economy. Strong engine. GM auto is reliable as is the 5 speed Aisin auto used in the 03-04 ION sedans.

Hope that helped a little
  • boomsie716boomsie716 Member Posts: 1
    concerning the last part of your post check the wire going to your vss(vehicle speedsensor) pop the hood passenger side . look down between engine and firewall. follow black wire loom down to transmission. I HAVE SEEN ACOUPLE OF CARS where the wires were broken slice wires back together and try it
  • kvc123kvc123 Member Posts: 1
    So I own a Saturn Ion 2005 which I bought used and keep in perfect condition. I have about 69,000 miles on it and was super confused when my car wouldn't start for no reason. And then the next day it would start, then a couple weeks later it wouldn't start.. you get the point. I finally found a highly recommended mechanic and took my Saturn in. He checked everything on my car and told me my car is in perfect condition. After he did some research figured out about the white wire and we decided to just go with it. So this is my suggestion to you, find an awesome mechanic and JUST CUT THE WHITE WIRE. The worst case scenario is that it doesn't work out for you and you just splice the wires back together. Or you can spend hundreds of dollars replacing random parts and it still won't fix anything. I cut the white wire and my car has been starting perfectly at all times, rain or shine. Seriously, just cut the wire. If you feel confident to do it yourself, heres a good instructional video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5AGhFWcBw
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Chelseawi,
    I am sorry that you are having a rough time right now with your Ion 2. Edmunds posters are always very helpful, and I am seeing great feedback for you already.

If we can help you get set up with a diagnostic appointment at a dealership, please get in touch with us via email and we'll do our best!

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • chelseawichelseawi Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much. I've actually been stuck here in the house since posting this ha ha when I went out to the car yesterday, instead of the dash being lit up,the lights were off and wouldn't start. I know that means the battery died since the ignition has been stuck to the "on" position for a few days. I wish I would've found out about the switch sooner, but I will get the battery charged (I was told I would have to have it taken out first) and I will have to utilize that switch for awhile. I was also advised to disconnect the negative terminal at night. I forgot to mention the car is a 4 door automatic. Thanks again for the advice = )
  • ladyrae79ladyrae79 Member Posts: 3
    This will be so amazing if it works! I am going to check it out this week. Thank you so much for commenting on my post! I will let you know if it works and if it does, you will never be forgotten! Thanks!
  • bgblondiebgblondie Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    :cry: Ok, well good to know I'm not the only person having these issues with my 2004 Saturn Ion! I've had it for a little over 3 years now and NEVER had this not starting problem until last winter! (3 times last winter and this winter multiple times!) Of course when you ask over and over for carfax, you never get them! - So I have no clue if the previous owner had these issues with my car. I've had the battery replaced, and everything and anything tested and it all comes out ok. If I try to start it early in the morning...nothing, once the sun hits it for an hour or so, no problem, it starts. Has anyone figure out what is causing this problem!? It's getting VERY annoying and I can't be late for work every time it drops below 35 degrees! :-/
  • traciejotraciejo Member Posts: 6
    So day before yesterday my son watched the youtube video and we went out to the garage and went to work. I have been having coldstart problems off and on for the past year and day before yesterday was the worst, usually it will start after just a few minutes, but this time it went on all day. Every time I tried to start it, it died; so finally after several hours and several attempts it started, so my son CUT THE WHITE WIRE as seen on your youtube video. Thank you so much, this ais the first solution I have got to the problem and it has worked thus far. She starts right up cold warm or otherwise.
  • marley5555marley5555 Member Posts: 5
    Does anybody know if I have to also reset the anti-theft system after changing out the ignition relay switch?

Also, somebody mentioned a website or video which shows how to do both?

Thanks again for everybody's help!!
    edited January 2012
    I went to the youtube video and read the comments. Someone made an excellent point. If you cut the wire and have a constant alert light on your dash WILL you be able to get your car inspected? I live in VA where car inspections are done yearly and emissions every 2 years.

I'd hate to cute a wire and then not be able to get my inspection done.

How do you explain the light being on when you are being inspected? What am I missing?
  • cartrblcartrbl Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading a lot on these forums and have taken some notes on what might be wrong with my car.
    I also have been having problems with my 2004 Saturn Ion not starting in the cold weather. Seems like I have to go out 30 minutes before work, just to get it started. Its become almost a daily thing now. I have seen people post stuff about the White Wire and other fixes. My dad (who use to work for Saturn, but now retired) has tried helping me find the solution, but he lives 900 miles away and can only help me over the phone. At times, it can get frustrating.
    My car also, sometimes, wont release the key. I have to start the car back up, put it in reverse, then back into park before it'll give the key.
    I haven't taken it to a mechanic (probably should) but I just dont have the money to do so. Figured if its an easy fix, I can do it myself and cheaper too.
    My dad did mention something about a button under the steering column. I replaced it for around $20 but its still not wanting to start in the mornings or when its cold, period. I haven't had anymore problems with the key sticking though. It comes out every time now (that may be some helpful news!).
    I have also noticed, that sometimes, when the car doesn't start, my lights and everything come on IN the car, BUT on the radio, it lights up but no sound comes out and no numbers show up on the little screen (Yes the radio is on!). Is that a related problem or is it just another problem I need to fix? I've tried turning the radio Off, then Back on, still the same issue.
  • kat78kat78 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Ok, so we have come to the conclusion that the 2004 Saturn Ion will not start in extreme cold weather. Now that we agree on that can someone please tell me what in the Hell to do about it! I have to start out an hour early during the winter months in the event my car will not start, children late for school and I am sometimes late for work! What the Hell! Is there a solution to the problem? Please share

P.S. I am non technical and do not feel comfortable in locating and cutting white wires.
  • pmsull1pmsull1 Member Posts: 6
    The primary problem is the ignition relay switch ( located in the steering wheel housing) which has some temperature sensitive grease in it (apparently?). I had mine replaced by my local mechanic for total of $120.00. You can read my post #852. Just don't go to a dealer!!! I live in upstate NY where it is very cold...my 2006 has started normal every day since I had this replaced. Good Luck to you.:)
  • saturnconniesaturnconnie Member Posts: 2
    Dear Saturntech

Can you please send me instuctions on how to replace the ignition switch and the process I need to go through after that. I know I need to reset something and I am not sure of the process I need to go through. I can't tell you how much that would help me. My e-mail is conniefeldmann@live.com. Thank you sooo much.
    edited January 2012
    I used alldata.com they have details for everything for any vehicle. Yes you have to reprogram antitheft after changing the switch... Turn key to ON/CRANK like you are going to start it, (it won't start) release the key but leave it in RUN. The security light will flash for about 10min, When it goes out, then turn key to OFF for 5 seconds. REPEAT 3 TIMES. It should start on 4th time & no more security lock flashing, the antitheft is now reset. Good luck.
  • ghillyer22ghillyer22 Member Posts: 4
    I live in Kansas where it gets really cold so trust me when I say I know about this problem. I got my 2005 ion in 2009 and was confused and lived with being late or stuck places while I waited for my alarm system to restart itself and let the car start whenever it was cold. It was awful and mind boggling abt what was causing it. Did tons of research and even thought abt replacing ignition switch or cutting the white wire like in youtube video but didn't want to make a random light come on. After much searching I found something that works: I got a remote start installed that bypassed the manufacturer alarm system (which causes the whole problem). By bypassing alarm and setting remote start it bypasses cold start problem so the car isn't allowed to do its "cold start" problem. I promise it works have had it installed a year now with no more problems even in snow storms. Do an internet search or look in phone book for people in your area that sell/ install remote starts that bypass original security systems, any system you get that bypasses manufacturer system will fix problem. Good luck, I empathize with those who have this problem i t sucks to have.