Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy HHR Brake Problems

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef062ac/1895#MSG1895

Click on the above link and it will take you to a topic that is specifically about brakes and problems. I'm sure there's someone there who will be able to address your pedal problem.

The topic you're in is primarily about HHRs and you're asking about a Chevy truck. You'll get better help there

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef062ac/1895#MSG1895

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• kymmbkymmb Member Posts: 8
    From what I'm seeing it sounds like I am going to be stuck with an embarrassing squeaky brake problem. Have an 08 HHR and really enjoy driving the car, but the brakes are wearing me down. This is the 3rd set of pads in about 4-5 month...started with semi-metallic and it squeaks, now have ceramics and they have started squeakking too. Rotars were turned...not sure where to to or what to do next.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me with more details of the brake issue? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Hi! Back in Nov/Dec 09 I started to hear a squeal from my brakes, appeared to be the “wear indicator”. I friend of mine, Certified Mechanic, check the brakes indicated they needed to be replaced. I purchased replacement brake pads from a local Auto Zone. He replaced the pads and had the rotors turned. Within a week or so the brakes began squeaking all over again. We thought it was coming from the rear brakes this time, he checked the rear pads and we determined they would need to be replaced in the near future, however, not a major concern. Attention turned back to front brakes; he checked the pads, found they were metallic and not ceramic as requested. Another set of brake pads were purchase, ceramic this time and placed on the car. Within several weeks the brakes are squealing once again. If I am driving at a hire spread and get on them they stop the vehicle and do not squeal, however, slow speed driving 35-55 mph stops will cause the pads to squeal
    Hi! Back in Nov/Dec 09 I started to hear a squeal from my brakes, appeared to be the “wear indicator”. I friend of mine, Certified Mechanic, check the brakes indicated they needed to be replaced. I purchased replacement brake pads from a local Auto Zone. He replaced the pads and had the rotors turned. Within a week or so the brakes began squeaking all over again. We thought it was coming from the rear brakes this time, he checked the rear pads and we determined they would need to be replaced in the near future, however, not a major concern. Attention turned back to front brakes; he checked the pads, found they were metallic and not ceramic as requested. Another set of brake pads were purchase, ceramic this time and placed on the car. Within several weeks the brakes are squealing once again. If I am driving at a hire spread and get on them they stop the vehicle and do not squeal, however, slow speed driving 35-55 mph stops will cause the pads to squeal

I would change them out again except it is costing me money each time….so I guess I’m stuck with the brakes.

******************************************************************************

I would change them out again except it is costing me money each time….so I guess I’m stuck with the brakes.

Chevy HHR Brake Problems 4/15/10 112
    Message #112
    RE: Squeeky Brakes [kymmb]
    by gmcustsvc
    Apr 15, 2010 (12:35 pm)
    Hello, I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me with more details of the brake ...
    Hello,
    Thank you for getting back to me. Have you ever taken the vehicle to the dealership to have it diagnosed? Is the vehicle still under warranty? Thank you,
  • valeyrayvaleyray Member Posts: 1
    HAVE A CHEVY HHR 06 PURCHASED UESED WITH 38,000 SINCE PURCHASED I BEEN SO DISSAPOINTED WITH IT. LIKE TEH MODEL FEATURE BUT HAVE HAD IT FOR 8 MONTHS WHICH LAST 6 I HAVE HAD SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH IT. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOMEONE FROM GM CALLED ME AND OFFER ME TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE IT. NO WONDER WHY WHO HAD IT PREVIOUSLY SOLD IT. MY SUSPENSION WAS REPLACED COMPLETELY. STRUTS. SWAY BAR LINKS, STEERING COLUMN, BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH TRACTION CONTROL AND NOT CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND NOW MY BREAKS DO LIKE A CLICK NOISE ON THE FRONT AND IS NOT ROTORS OR PAD THAT I AM SURE. I AM PAYING A MONTHLY PAYMENT FOR A CAR THAT IS NOT EVEN WORTH IT. MY 1ST CHEVY AND THE EXPERIENCE HAVE BEEN AWFUL. NOW I AM STOCK WITH A CAR DON'T BECAUSE PERFORMANCE AND PROBLEMS AND DOES NOT FEELS GOOD DRIVING IT. MY TRACTION COMES ON AND OFF EVERY DAY WITH NO LUCK TO CATCH WHAT IS WRONG AND NO ONE THAT I CAN TELL FROM GM. CAN YOU HELP. TRIED TO TRADE AND THERE IS A NEGATIVE VALUE ON THE CAR THAT NO ONE WANTS TO CARRY OVER. REALLY LIKE THE HHR SS I GUESS IS M0RE POWER AND LOOKS AWESOME AFRAID. WHAT CAN I DO WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST. MY EMAIL IS VALEYRAY@YAHOO.COM.
  • leah5leah5 Member Posts: 6
    my hhr is an "06" and i have had it since oct of "05".... here is just one of my issues with that car. about a year after i bought my car, everytime i put the brakes on the entire car would just shake. i take it into the dealership and they tell my that my rotors are wroped (sp?). so, they shave them and then i'm ok, for another few months. i have asked them what causes this and they tell me it;s cause i'm going threw to many water puddles.
    wth!
    Hello Leah,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Does the vehicle currently have the shaking issue, or has the vehicle been fixed? Thank you,
  • leolion39leolion39 Member Posts: 4
    mine has been doing the shaking thing for a long time... my issue is the calipers on the front only the inside ones are engaging... hence the wear out of the brake pad on inside only... and warpage of rotor.... it was not covered under warranty cause it is a "wear issue" so had to pay to have it fixed.. but they did install a dust cover at no charge.. kept being told that they have no recorded issue with the hhr and brakes.. and then you go online and see many posts of people having trouble... i have now changed them three times and doing another set this weekend... i like the car... but will not buy again...
    edited April 2010
    If only the piston side (inside) of the caliper is wearing the pad, that means either the caliper unit is not sliding on the pins or the piston is not releasing properly. Riding with a foot on the brake pedal might cause the inner piston to drag and wear.

Dragging a brake, whatever the cause, heats the rotor and warps them. Then when you apply the brakes on a hot, warped rotor you feel the pulsating really strongly.

Another problem can be applying brakes hard for an emergency hard stop and then sitting with the foot on the brake. Ideally when the brake rotors and pads are really hot, letting the car creep to move the pads along the rotors while they cool helps prevent damage to the rotor.

Driving through water puddles when the rotors are hot after a strong stop also will warp rotors.

If you are replacing only the pads, you probably are making a mistake because you should be replacing the caliper with rebuilt calipers.

What kind of repair service has been doing the replacement work for you? My guess would be you need a repairman that knows the vehicles and knows what parts need to be replaced.

• leolion39leolion39 Member Posts: 4
    the gm dealership has been doing the work up until fall last year..

and since they wont listen... and i am a mechanic... i am doing the work... i have not replaced the calipers as they insist that they are not the problem...

the brakes are not rode... as it is mostly highway kilometers on this car..
    My mechanic looked at the brakes all around again yesterday and it appears the rotors are warped. They were turned when the brakes were replaced 4 mos. ago. To have the front ones replaced is going to cost me around $200.00. Not happy about this at all...GM there are enough complaints on here to tell you there is a problem that needs to be addressed.
    My mechanic looked at the brakes all around again yesterday and it appears the rotors are warped. They were turned when the brakes were replaced 4 mos. ago. To have the front ones replaced is going to cost me around $200.00. Not happy about this at all...GM there are enough complaints on here to tell you there is a problem that needs to be addressed. :(
    My mechanic looked at the brakes all around again yesterday and it appears the rotors are warped. They were turned when the brakes were replaced 4 mos. ago. To have the front ones replaced is going to cost me around $200.00. Not happy about this at all...GM there are enough complaints on here to tell you there is a problem that needs to be addressed. :(
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    don't have to studder we heard you the first 3 times.
    edited April 2010
    sorry...didn't mean to repeat 3x...computer didn't respond after sending.
    >New car pads should last at least 50,000 miles in my experience.

You haven't read posts about brake problems with Hondas wearing out rapidly and some of the toyotas?

>The real problem is that they did nothing before when I took the car in for service!

That's the real problem.

>they told me they would turn the rotor under warranty

It's my opinion turning the rotors won't last long. Thinner rotors redevelope problems quicker.

• snowmomansnowmoman Member Posts: 20
    I worked for Mitsubishi Motors North America for almost 21 years retiring last year. Say what you will about Mits, but I have owned 4 of their cars, and never had brake problems like this. This is what got Detroit in trouble in the first place--quality. I have a Mits Montero Sport that had pads last almost 70,000 miles, and that's with AWD-4WD! It's disturbing to pay big money for a new car, only to have to pour money into it prematurely becasue of poor quality products. I gave Chevy a chance again and they failed the test. Looks like I may be going back to Mits products. I can't afford to buy GM.
    > Say what you will about Mits, but I have owned 4 of their cars, and never had brake problems like this.

Excuse me for helping.

Don't let the trunklid hit you on the way to the Mitsubishi dealer.

edited April 2010
    Who said I didn't want your help? That was merely a comment. Relax. Touchy aren't we?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    edited April 2010
    I had to remove your earlier post as we do not permit the posting of personal contact info such as phone numbers. (We can't prove it is or isn't you, nor can we protect the phone number from malicious use.)

You can contact Mariah, the GM Customer Service agent, via email by clicking on her username in her posts (#117 in this discussion).

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    Hello Snowmoman,
    I saw your post regarding your Chevy, and I would like to get further information about your issue with your vehicle. You can click on my name and it will show my email information. Please email me with your concerns and we will go from there. Thank you,
  • fixitguyfixitguy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 HHR same problem. Recently Rotors turned and new pads installed. Shimming and shakes again, worse this time after less than 2000 miles. What is the fix?

Thanks
  • rstruthersrstruthers Member Posts: 29
    I solved my shaking by turning rotors(new ones), and new pads that I bought at Napa auto parts.
    I wonder who did the work? Are you shure they truly turned them? Take them off yourself and taken to Napa auto . Another trick is to bevel the edges of the PADS , just a slight amount will do.
    Hello Fixitguy,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Did the dealership do the rotors and the new pads? If so, did you take the vehicle back and let them know that you are still experiencing a problem? Can you please email me with more information so I can look at this further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    I have found it useless to go to the dealer, they love to charge $$$.
    I repair my own, just fixed the very poorly designed heater fan that gets wet in any rain storm.
    The cowling leaks and ruins the speed resistor and the fan motor.
    Good luck.
  • notsomuchnotsomuch Member Posts: 1
    2006 HHR 2.4 HO
    I've been pouring through all the messages about brake problems - kinda relieved in a way that I'm not the only one. I think I have you all beat though.

4th set of rotors, and 7 turnings - all by 42,000 miles, and 1st time less than 5,000. Dealer (2 different) claims unusual every time I've gone - no documented problems with HHR brakes - "HUH" I said (lots a times).
    Began asking back at the beginning if there could be a system problem - don't drive it hard, and even the last 2 sets of after-market rotors allowed (bigger/thicker)have done the same thing. Have even pointed out all along that calipers in front "ping" when released after rotors warm - suggesting staying engaged after stopping, and explaining the persistent warping of rotors. Told each time not the problem or the pads would be worn to nothing - and they look brand new! Tech article suggests pads likely glazed and hardened from all the heat, and that is why they still look new after 42,000 miles, and why keep warping. GM just told me today (via district manager) they are not going to do what it takes to fix it - I have to start paying. This after more than twenty very patient visits associated with loud electronic whirring over the speakers that follows RPM of engine whether stereo on or not. Great trys, but neither problem fixed. Dealers great to this point, but "the new GM" as it was explained to me - not so much. Love the car, but not enough to spend $200.00 every other month to keep the brakes working right. I'm open to suggestions, but looks like lemon law/arbitration on near horizon. I think anyone would say I've given them enough chances to fix the vehicle the way it was intended to work. Travers we were looking at on hold for now.
    Tim
    I see you are a new poster. Can you tell us how you drive your car? Where such as city highway suburban? What type of speed? Where in the country are you located? Brands of pads and rotors used for replacement?

My suggestion would be to find an aftermarket repair shop recommended by others you know where they have used the people for years and the shop has a good reputation. Have them diagnose what you've done and see what they suggest. Just pay them for a diagnosis. Let them know up front you may not be having work done.

Without information about how the brakes were used after rotors and pads were replace, I can only speculate. When you suggest the pads or calipers make a ping after a hot stop, I suspect the pad material is sticking to the rotors.

When I find a link, I'll post it. There are many suggestions as to how pads should be broken in, along with the new rotors. The pads need to be heated up so that the material in the pad coats the rotor with the melt. Then the pads are actually rubbing against the pads own material rather than the metal of the rotor. This requires several stops from a higher speed but without coming to complete stop to avoid leaving a glob on the rotor. Cooling the rotors by moving in the air and then repeating the fairly hard stop a few times. The last link I read about this said when you can smell the new pads, then this has been done effectively.

When you make a hard stop and sit with the pads pressed against the rotor, the system is very hot. The pad's material is melted into the material on the rotor. When you start moving there is a clump of resin on one spot. Then when you stop again, my thinking is that the goop is affecting the heating of the rotor in that area with the extra friction when it hits the pads as a high spot. Eventually the hot area on the rotor is warped.

A thought just came to me. The rear brakes are drums. Have they been checked?

• mfern0012mfern0012 Member Posts: 1
    I have had 3 new rotors stuck on my 2006 HHR since January this year and I have to go back in again for I'll guess, another.. They keep telling me defaulty parts?? I have had this problem on going now for a year, I've put alteast 6 rotors on this since last May and I still have the same shaking issues. I've had several of the lamp bulbs, fog lamp bulbs physically brake from all the shaking. There telling me now I need to replace my steering column, 1000 bucks, I also have major issue when its cold and wet out, I go over any bump or crack in the road and my car makes a very loud clucking noise... I can get no help from the shop, no answers from them as to whats going on???
    Your problem may be related to the calipers not centering on the rotor. The caliper has to have some lateral play and may be sticking or not moving freely. This will wear unevenly and overheat the pad that is draging. Have you tried a shop that specializes in brakes? Not the dealer, a good repair shop that will fully check out your system. After years of shaking it could be that the ball joints in the steering are worn now.
    Also I have had that knocking or clunking when the frame is cold in the A.M. I have checked all under the front end not finding anything. It might be shocks?? Dont' know.
    Hello Mfern0012,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I am sorry that you are experiencing concerns with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can access my email by clicking on my name, Thank you,
  • hhr08hhr08 Member Posts: 1
    I had the problem (Shuttering when braking) very early in the life of my vehicle. My dealer turned the discs, but then also added deflectors. I assume it was to prevent water from warping hot discs. I have not had any problems in the last 1-1/2 years.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    The 'deflectors' were added because there was a thought and debris might be causing the problem I believe. Sounds like it worked in your case.
  • wackywestiewackywestie Member Posts: 1
    I am so glad I found this site but I think there's something else out there that I need to find. I have been having brake and rotor problems since 6000 miles. A service tech at my dealer told me the car is too heavy for the brakes and there's a website talking about what people are doing to fix it. That's what I am looking for. I blew it off because I have no intention of paying for a manufacturer defect. I have been in contact with GM. The District Rep I talked to told me it's normal wear and tear. I disagree and so do several mechanics I've talked to. I have never had a problems with brakes like this on any car I've owned. I am in touch with an attorney pursuing the LEMON LAW in Pennsylvania. I am going to ask about a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. GM needs to step up and recall and repair these brakes. Has anyone else sought legal advise beyond the Lemon Laws?
  • judikilbanejudikilbane Member Posts: 9
    Hi!!
    We were told by a mechanic the HHR brakes are like having bicycle brakes on a locomotive. When we told GM our rotors,etc went out at at 26K the GM people told us to downshift more if we go down hills!OR avoid hills! Ha! What a farce. I tell EVERYONE I meet what GM did and how much it cost us. We were ALWAYS GM people-no more. The next car I buy is a Honda or Toyota-or even a(spit,spit) FORD! We've actually thought about taing it back to the dealer and tossing the keys at him!
  • brkdrvrbrkdrvr Member Posts: 4
    Hello Mariah GM Customer Service,
    I also have a 2007 HHR plagued with brake/suspension problems, The problems began when we test drove the car the day we purchased it. The HHR was very quiet with the exception of a scuffing/humming noise coming from the front end. We mentioned the noise to the salesman who reported the noise to the dealership service dept. and they informed us it was from the car sitting on the lot for several months (tires/bearings or brakes) and should dissipate shortly. The noise persisted and we complained at @ 1,700. At this time I told the service dept. I thought the brake rotors were warped or wheel bearings might be bad. The GM dealer test drove the car but could find nothing wrong as it was raining the day of service and they couldn't hear anything. The noise & vibration continued and we took car back at 3,259 miles The dealer service dept. tried to make good by checking the car and turning the rotors as advized by GM. This seemed to help a little but noise & scuffing returned shortly & got worse. We took the car back at 9,770 miles and dealership service dept. tried re-torquing the suspension per GM tech. problems continued. Finally my wife drove the car on a long trip (1,200 miles rounf trip) and called me when coming home the bearing noise was so loud I could hear it over the phone! We took car back the next day @ 14,702 miles and the dealer replaced both front wheel bearings (one of which was undoubtably bad from day one). Grinding & metal on metal noise solved! Brake problem continues. We took car back in @ 22,975 miles and dealer "re finished" the rotors for the 2nd or 3rd time (I have lost track and can't tell from the service docs. as this was all done "good will"). The re finishing worked for about 10,000 miles at which time pulsation/shaking and grinding slowly returned to the point that I gave up on GM and replaced the front rotors and pads @ 49,000 miles with NAPA premium products myself. I am very disappointed with the quality of the HHR and fear that the steering/suspension has been damaged/worn and will be selling it and replacing it with a VW Jetta in the next few months. Please note I am/was a Chevy fan and still own a 2005 Suburban w/80,000 miles and original rotors & pads. The only major repairs a failed trans @ 36,250 (GM replaced & I paid $200 goodwill) and a failed speedo cluster (GM replaced & I paid labor). The Dealer is a standup organization but the HHRs brakes are severely flawed & should be considered a lemon or at least recalled and re fitted with improved brakes. I will buy the Jetta from them if they have a VW franchise or can find one for me and continue to have my Suburban serviced there. But I,m not sure I will buy any more GM products due to the manufacturers failure to correct the underlying problem. I think Gm was aware of the issue and revamped/ improve the brakes on subsequent model years but blew off early production years as the 36,000 mile wrnty expired. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Mike Cryne
    Hello Mike,
    I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • warvinwarvin Member Posts: 10
    It seems that everyone seems to be having problems with the brakes. I have a 2007 HHR and a few months after I owned the car the whole front end started to vibrate. I thought it was the rotors (no I take that back it was the rotors) but no one at the dealer would listen. They insisted that rotors do not wear away at three months nor do brakes...their suggestion was to put my car in low gear when coming down a hill. That is what I was experiencing when I came down the hill. That didn't work so I took it back and insisted that they contact GM and see if it was covered under my very expensive warranty. Still no help...their next response contacted GM and they would cover an adjustment of the rotors. What BS is that? You either fix the problem or you don't. So for the last two and half years I have been arguing with the Chevy dealer in our neighborhood (they are no longer a Chevy dealer with the cutbacks) as of 2009. However they will honor Chevy customers until the end of June, 2010. Forget it..this dealer has no intentions of fixing the problem and most likely won't. I hate dealer services...they suck...
    So, yesterday June 5, 2010 almost three years later I took it to a local car shop (reputable in our state) and they fixed it and confirmed what I have been screaming about. I was tired of arguing with the dealer. It costs me 464.00. I think GM should be looking into this...but again they are like the dealership...who cares? Hey I think GM should reimburse me...no car that is only 2.5 years old should be repairing the brake system and replacing rotors. My 12 year old OLDS doesn't even have that kind of issues..go figure...warvin
  • warvinwarvin Member Posts: 10
    Hey has anyone been able to get a reply from the customer service rep who has left her email? I tried to contact her via email and all I get is a fatal error message when I send a message to her. Anybody have suggestions?
    warvin
  • judikilbanejudikilbane Member Posts: 9
    2008 HHR here
    When I had to redo my rotors and brakes at 26k I talked w/ no-customer service at exec.level. the company line is no problems have been reported....they gave me a years worth of oil changes--and sent me packing. So....I make it a point to tell ANYONE who will listen not to buy a Chevy HHR -and why. I actually had material removed from an e-mail I posted on this site because I gave my e-mail address to try to get a group complaint going!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    So for 3 years you KEEP going back to the same dealer and live with the problem. Can I ask a really dumb question? Why didn't you take it to another Chevy dealer when you knew the first one was out to lunch?
    Hello Warvin,
    I am not sure why you got the fatal message when trying to email me. My email is socialmedia@gm.com. Thank you,
  • golflengolflen Member Posts: 2
    Add me to the growing list of unsatisfied HHR owners for the same reasons that everyone else has stated. My stories are almost exactly the same as all the others. GM should find a solution and do a recall! Class Action may be the only route.
    The brake problems have been a nightmare since about 6,000 miles and at the very least every 8,000 miles thereafter. My car has 77,000 miles on it now and the dealer (s) CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. They have replaced the rotors, turned the rotors, replaced front end parts, and nothing has corrected the problem.
    I have had two posts removed by the moderator because I was unkind to GM. You are not going to get help here. Does KBB have a forum?
    Brake problems might need replacement of the calipers with rebuilt calipers.

Hello Golflen,
    I am sorry that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Can you please email me your contact information, dealership, current mileage, VIN and what is going on with the brakes? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • chevy_suckschevy_sucks Member Posts: 5
    I've been experiencing the same brake and vibrations problems most people been describing here.

Based on my experience I will NEVER EVER buy another Chevy nor any other GM product again. The poorest customer service ever at the dealer ship and the most incompetent idiots in the associated "Good Wrench" service department!
    Brought the car in to address breaking noises, car came out with vibrations which did not exist before but break noise still persisted. Car was back at dealer another 3 times for the same problem. Finally break noise was gone... ...for about 3-4 months and now came back. Mechanics were too stupid to fix the vibrations they caused and started blaming it on the tires.

For anybody who had / is having bad experience with dealer, join the facebook group "Payback time for crook car dealers!" and let people now which dealer to avoid.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Sounds like you needed to find a better dealer for service.

I had rotor issues with mine also, but I don't use the brakes any more then I have to and managed to get around 85k miles on the first ones. My independent mechanic likely replaced them with ones from some auto parts store and so far after 12k miles I haven't had further problems. Time will tell if the end up working better.
    Hello Chevy_sucks,
    I apologize that your experience with your dealership wasn't a better one. Can you please email me your VIN, dealership, current mileage and contact info? Can you also provide some more details in your situation? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • chevy_suckschevy_sucks Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your quick response, Mariah!

I'll send you the details if not today the latest by tomorrow.