Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy HHR Brake Problems

Comments

• calnmadsmomcalnmadsmom Member Posts: 24
    The number that I posted was the number for the Executive Corporate Office...it is a number anyone can get if they would look it up..or phone information ( 411). I didn't post a personal phone number..I did post the gentleman's name because he is the one who handles the HHR's..once again, his name is something anyone could find out..So to assume that I was posting information that was "private" and permission not given was incorrect. To delete my post was not right. I am following the membership agreement that I accepted upon registration. I saw..and still see nothing wrong with posting the number for the Executive Offices of GM...I suppose I could have posted the 800 number, as opposed to the local, which by the way..both the 800 number and the one I posted would dial in to the same place. And once you said there was a problem with your HHR you would either speak to the one who just answered..or they would get the gentleman I as well as many others are working with. So, no top secret info was posted, nor, was it against the Edmonds rules.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Adjfire,
    Because you have had this concern for a while I would like to have an agent look at your situation further. Just so you know an agent will require that the vehicle is taken to the dealership for diagnoses. If you would like me to set up a case I will need you to e-mail me the following information; contact information, VIN, mileage, dealership and best time to contact you. You can get my e-mail by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • leolion39leolion39 Member Posts: 4
    could you let me know how to get ahold of this person
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    edited September 2010
    Again, unless he has granted permission for that information to be posted, you can not do it here.

Here is the specific clause from the Membership Agreement:

Rights of Third Parties

You may not submit Postings or Content that contain personally identifiable information about other people, such as their phone number, street address or email address, or information about other people that could result in an invasion of their privacy or their harassment.

We have no way of knowing what you post is accurate - we do not have the means to verify such information when posted. The gentleman also does not deserve to have thousands of contacts out of nowhere because his information was posted in public. I'm sure you'd be a little upset if one of your customers/clients posted your name and work phone number on a public message board without your knowledge, and you became inundated with phone calls.

If he wishes to join the discussion and answer questions, he would need to take the same steps as Mariah from GM Customer Service - she is fully verified at company level that she is who she says she is.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • captain143captain143 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, Please advise what you find out. I have a 2008 with 45K miles and have had the rotors turned twice. Pads are fine. Shaking of the steering wheel and vibration in the column are horendous. I bought this car for my daughter but am fearful of having her drive it. Looking at a class action suit on this and being in the auto industry here in DTW,maybe that will get their attention.

Mark
    He did say it was fine...as he is the HHR "guy" at GM Headquarters.. In fact I speak to him now pretty much on a daily basis...As the problem with my car continues to worsen. He hopes he hears from more people with the same problems as I am having..in fact, he had an HHR and returned it!. :)
    Hello,

Well my HHR goes back into the shop next Tuesday for the horrible clunking front end noise as well as the steering wheel shudder. Ok that means I have had the rotors turned more times than I can count, the brakes and rotors replaced numerous times, the power steering pump, the shocks,struts,front end ball joint,driving axle, and now it they want to replace the steering column for the second time.So, I have had most of what they "feel" could be the problem replaced....and the problem continues to worsen. I too am hesitant to drive the car with my two daughters in it...At 45mph and above the car shakes so badly that it is really scary.. It is even scarier that I live in the West Los Angeles/Santa Monica area and most of my commute is done on the freeways. I too think we should start a class action lawsuit. I think you're right Mark, it just may get their attention to a problem that is serious. When speaking to the "powers that be at GM" they have made it out that my HHR is the only one with such problems. When I have shared that there are many out there they say "really, because nobody has called to complain"..URGH!!!!!. Will let you know what is found next week... :lemon:
  • kymmbkymmb Member Posts: 8
    I gave up and went to a local Chevy dealership and purchased the OEM brake pads for my 2008 HHR. My mechanic put them on the vehicle this afternoon, he also recommended new rotors, but just cannot afford them, so he had the rotor's turned again. Short test ride this afternoon and no squealing was heard. It will go back on the road tomorrow and we'll see what happens.
  • rcannonrcannon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 HHR with 60k miles. The Chevy dealer is horrible - had 2 bad experiences with minor service problems that shouldn't have been problems ie.
    they messed up the computer sensor when doing a tire change a tried to sell me
    a new expensive auto-remote. Didn't go back and bought a new battery for my keyless remote

Having the car serviced elsewhere I also learned there was a GM Alert about the HHR brakes. GM is claiming HHR brake problems due to 'dust from driving on dirt roads' and offers to place a new special dust cover on the brakes to prevent problems My nondealership mechanic determined that my brake problems is due to overheating. Recently the 'vibrating and shaking steering wheel problem happened again.

The nondealership mechanic checked out the rotors and found the pads were good, but that the rotors... had hot spots. The HHR NEEDS better rotors/discs ie. slotted rotors/discs that keep cool as opposed to the flat surfaced ones that heat up. Otherwise the problem will recurr every few thousand miles as the brakes will be doomed to overheat, especially if frequently subjected to city traffic summer driving

I like my HHR but the dealership and GM have disappointed me. I like to talk to the mechanic and seeing the mechanic work on the car. I don't like going to a dealership where I'm told a mumbo jumbo story and am handed a big bill for what ought to be a relatively minor/simple fix.
    He has to tell Edmunds it's ok, not you. The site is our property and our responsibility.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    The one thing not mentioned is the calipers and the slides on the bolts that allow them to move in and out (the caliper, not just the piston). Those can get crudded up from dirt or rust.

Putting on rebuilt calipers or properly servicing and repairing the current slide setup is necessary. If the caliper drags, the rotors overheat.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Ok..I will have him get in touch with you.. thanks.
    I forgot to add the calipers..That was the very first thing done on the car ( of major repairs) as they were all scratching their heads at the dealership....and their "turn the rotors" answer was getting us no where.
    I think that most of us out there driving an HHR are very upset. I have a 2006 HHR drove it off the lot with 10 miles on it...and since about 200 miles I have had nothing but issues. The rotors have been turned numerous times..brakes replaced, shocks, struts,calipers,front ball joint,and tomorrow a new steering column will be added to the list. Needless to say I have had the car in the shop more than its been out. I have dealt with 3 District Reps, and GM Executives ...with zero help. In fact the Execs have made it sound as though I am the only with these issues. I would love to be a part of a class action lawsuit...The front end noise and the steering wheel shaking seems to be an ongoing problem no matter what is replaced. :lemon:
  • pissedoff5280pissedoff5280 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 2006 HHR THAT IS GOING ON IT'S 5TH SET OF ROTORS THE DEALER IS USELESS THEY TELL MY IT'S MY DRIVING OR I WASH MY CAR TO MUCH OR I MUST BE TAPPING CURBS WHEN I PARK, ALL A CROCK OF SH--. I HAVE OWNED GM VEHICLEWS ALL MY LIFE BUT THIS ONE TAKES THE CAKE. I HAVE TRYED GM REPLACMENT ROTORS AND BRAKE PADS NO GOOD. I HAVE TRIED CROSS DRILLED ROTORS TO THE TUNE OF 200.00 PLUS DOLLARS A SET AND HIGH PERFORMANCE RACING PADS, NO GOOD. I HAVE HAD THEM HEATED AND TURNED BEFORE INSTALL NO GOOD. NOW I GET MY HANDS ON A TECH NOTE THAT SAYS A SHIM KIT IS AVAILABLE FOR PLACEMENT BETWEEN THE HUB AND ROTOR, THAT TELLS ME ONE THING THERE IS A PROBLEM AND IT'S NOT JUST MINE. IWOULD LIKE TO HAVE MORE INFO FROM GM ON THIS SHIM KIT AND WHY IT IS ONLY THE MEXICO MANUFACTURED HHR WITHTHIS PROBLEM. I ALSO HAVE STRANGE FRONT END POPPING NOISE NO ONE CAN SEEM TO FIND. I'M TIRED OF PAYING FOR GM REPAIRS ON SOMETHING THEY CLEARLY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR
  • pissedoff5280pissedoff5280 Member Posts: 2
    YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THESE PROBLEMS GM JUST DOESN'T WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY TO FIX ALL OF THE HHR PROBLEMS YOU ARE GETTING FEED THE SAME LINE OF BUUL THE REST OF US ARE. :sick:
    Yes..I believe that there are many of "us" out there totally frustrated with our HHR and the lack of help from dealerships, and GM. I knew buying mine before they had even come out ( saw it at the LA car show) that the first year of anything there would be some "kinks" to work out...but never in my life did I think that my car would spend more time in a shop then on the road. And all the problems started at 200 miles ( I drove it off the lot with less than 10 miles) Now at just 31K...it truly feels like I am driving an old clunker of a car. It's just not right... I found a front page article of a newspaper that GM is is suing the supplier of the steering systems..due to the clunks, unusual rattles, steering wheel shimmy excessive gear backlash which causes problems in the steering column.. But the answer has always been turn the rotors... frustrating!!!
  • warvinwarvin Member Posts: 10
    Hi there,

I have a 2007 HHR. It took me two years to decide whether or not I wanted this car.
    I loved the style and it had been out two years so I kept looking at Consumer Guide and did not see any bad things about it so I finally bit the bullet and purchased it brand new. The first month the car started shaking. I took it back to the dealer and they adjusted the rotors...I guess because they thought I was a woman I knew nothing about cars. Took it back for several times and nothing happened. I finally had to go to our local Lex Brodie Auto shop. They were aghast and told me immediately your rotors are gone and you need new brakes. So, 400.00 bucks out of my own money but they did the job so splendidly that it was worth every penny. They suggested that I send the bill and receipt to GM because no way at 24,000 miles should all that crap be happening. I actually got some reaction from someone on this website to email them my VIN number and they would help me out with the problem. But the problem was already fixed and the Chevy dealer shut down so thanks alot for nothing GM.
    Car runs great now.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Hopefully it will continue to work out for you. I also had problem with the rotors and not hearing any magic answers for it just lived with it until they needed to be replaced then had my independant mechanic replace them with aftermarket (non GM) ones. Nothing fancy, just generic replacements and so far they seem to be fine ( I think I have 20 or 25k miles on them now).
  • snowmomansnowmoman Member Posts: 20
    I had metallic pads put on at the dealer and so far so good. Of course out of my pocket. My anti sway bar was bad too. Stock pads not metallic according to dealer.
  • vickiovickio Member Posts: 1
    I bought an '06 HHR LT 1 1/2 years ago (it was a lease trade-in). It had 60,000 on it when I bought it, and about 20,000 later it started shaking when I would brake. I figured the rotors were warped, and I was on-line searching for prices when I found this blog. I had no idea there were others with this problem and it could potentially continue after I replace the rotors, or I may have to regularly replace the rotors. I hoped it was just a matter of cheap rotors.
    Also there is a weird clunking under the car - only sometimes. It seems to be noisy when the car is cool but once it warms up it stops. Sounds like maybe the heat sheild rattling?? The warranty has already run out because of the miles I put on it so I'm not going to pay GM to fish around under my car.
    A neighbor of mine works for GM in Oshawa, and said the HHR is being discontinued.... reading all these problems I am beginning to understand why!! :(
    Hello.. Yes, the shaking may still continue..and as far as the clunking noise...well that too seems to be a huge huge problem. My car when purchased had under 20 miles on it...at 200 miles the shaking started and about 1,500 the clunking..yes it too is way worse when cold. The car now at 30k has been in the shop more than out..and it is in the shop as I write and has been for the past week. For the clunking..the dealership has put on a new rack and pinion, front end ball joints, steering box, shocks struts,calipers, hmmm...and so much more..and the clunking is still there. I am working with GM Executive offices..with little help. And, of course the warranty has long since run out..so out of pocket thus far.... at least 3k...I am not happy about this and have expressed my concerns. GM is now going to pick up the next 600..I know how kind.. hehe. If I left this car on the side of the road, keys in the ignition, nobody would take it.....or if they did...they would drive it one block..pull over and park the damn thing. I have become more than frustrated..and feel very unsafe driving it..I have two daughters, and drive carpool and it is scary.
  • ernestogernestog Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2006 HHR and have been having the same problem with my steering wheel-it shakes after braking. The dealer told me the rotors needed turning, so I had them turned, and had a brake job. It felt fine for awhile, but living in Colorado I drive mountain roads once in awhile. Coming down I-70 my steering wheel shakes like the front end is going to fall off. I went to the dealer again and they replaced the steering column. Driving to Vegas, again on I-70, my steering wheel started shaking again. The good thing is that once I'm on level ground and braking normal, the shaking is minimal, get that-I'm feeling good about the shaking being minimal! I like the HHR styling, and I was thinking about getting a pro series braking system, but after reading some of the other comments, I'm not sure anymore. I'm hanging in there.
    Well..my car comes home tomorrow from spending an entire week at the dealership..replacing many parts. I will let you know what those are tomorrow...as they have assured me that the front end clunking noise is gone.. I've heard that before..so after I drive it, check it out, I will post what was changed. I am hoping that this fixes the years of ongoing problems I have been having with this car.
  • myhhrmyhhr Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I also have the same problems with the pulsating and vibrations. My husband took the car to the dealer at 24k miles complaining that it doesn't seem normal the breaks should be giving us problems at this stage, well after charging us $300, new pads, re surfacing the rotors, all seemed fine until now at 32K miles. Mind you thats only 8K miles and the breaks are bad again?. Now I am beyond irate, My son who is a certified tech advised me to have them look up the service bulletin which mentions about torking the bolts all the same. Seems if the tech does this wrong it adds to the problem.. which stands to reason. We should have not paid for the first time, and I will be the car in tomorrow armed with my yakking self. mentioning the fact if I am not satisfied, I will be driving around with signs plaster on my car about this problem and how this dealer seems to care less about the customer after purchase. We r retired and simply cannot absorb the cost of Chevys error. I too am ready for a class action, or all hhr owners going to Chevy headquarters together. Power to the people. Numbers do matter...2007 HHR
  • myhhrmyhhr Member Posts: 2
    Hi, if I knew that GM guy you know, maybe copy ALL these complaints or give us his email to forward complaints to. My husband is about ready to sell the car at a great financial loss. I am ready for any plan that will get us relief from this disaster. Funny thing is I love the care and my only other complaint was the design of the window button on the dash . Still have a hard time remembering where the hey it is to open a window. LOL. Seriously though something needs to be done. as a group not individually.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I can certainly understand your frustration as mine (bought in 05') had the same problem. I lived with it and kept an eye out for some magic fix until the rotors could be turned no more.
    I tend to view things differently and bottom line I wanted the problem resolved so I had my independant mechanic replace the rotors (likely no GM) and have added quite a few miles without any additional worries. Its fixed and I'm a hppy camper and can just enjoy the ride.
  • rstruthersrstruthers Member Posts: 29
    Your problem is dealing with GM. Go to a good private mechanic to have the work done. He should install quality pads and rotors. Have the rotors turned even tho they are new. Then he should be sure the calipers are sliding on the two supporting pins smoothly so they don't bind and drag the pads. This dragging will heat the rotors as you drive. Quality parts and install is the key.
    I did all this myself over a year ago (29k miles) and have no problems yet.

I wrote a note to ABC news on this a month ago as they had done a story on BMW's problem but have heard nothing yet. Maybe try the Press as a way to force GM to fix this.
    The cure is using high quality replacement rotors, not cheap ones in the aftermarket.

These new rotors do NOT have to be turned; it's better if they're not touched.

The calipers need to be perfectly lubed again and completely free. If any question, replace with rebuilt calipers.

The original GM rotors are a type of lighter weight metal that does not age well under some conditions and starts giving unevenness. The caliper slides are never cleaned and lubed when GM techs work on the rotors.

Turning the original rotors is fatal.

Well this help came to me from chevyhhr.net. We are not the only ones out there with the rotor turning...clunking in the front..steering wheel shaking..And, believe it or not..after seeing the blog and what this guy did to fix it..I brought the info into the dealer mechanics...and low and behold it worked. Well it's worked for the last week...and I am hoping that the problem stays gone..Below I have posted what he as well as many others are doing for the same problems many of us are facing..below I cut and pasted what he did..... There are also photos to see exactly the tiny little piece that nobody..no dealer mechanic..has found..so he went by what I printed out...

"SO tonight I set out to find exactly, what was clunking. Alot of us have the mystery clunk, so I will fill you in on what I found. I don't trust a shop to 'find' it for me, so instead of them throwing parts at it, it was easier to find it myself.

I out my hands on everything underneath that car that had a bolt, nut, or bushing. Inside of the fender well's behind the caliper bracket there is a bar that attacked to the upper middle of the strut, down to the sway bar. I assume this is GM's idea of a sway bar end link. I had a friend rock the car as I found out I could recreate the noise by rocking the car back and forth. On the bolt that mounts it to the strut I put my hands on it and griped it firmly and low and behold no more clunking noise. My assumption is that there is some type of bushing, that has gone south.

I highly advise anyone with the mystery clunk in the front end to grab ahold of that bar while someone is rocking the car and see if that silences the noise.

I recently replaced my stock squeaky sway bar end links with MOOG #K750012 end links with zerk fittings. The new links are much quieter and have tighened up the feel of the steering."

Here's the stock end links, you'll need to jack up the front end and remove the wheel to get to this part. The green arrows point to the two bolts that will need to be removed. The outside one is easy to get to, the inside one is not too difficult to reach.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...s/DSC09063.jpg

If by chance the nut spins there is a small area on the inside face of the link where you can get a grip on the bolt. On the new end links this piece is a full size nut that is much easier to work with.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...s/IMG_2289.jpg

Both end links side by side. The MOOG is a larger diameter bar than the stocker. Note the 90 degree zerk fittings, once the end links are installed you may need to rotate them a quarter turn or so to reach them better with your grease gun.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...s/DSC09066.jpg

Here's the installed end links, be sure to remember to grease them up before your test drive.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...s/DSC09067.jpg
    Hello..

actually that wasn't a fix it for my car... I will post below what another gentleman has found when his car did the same thing..

SO tonight I set out to find exactly, what was clunking. Alot of us have the mystery clunk, so I will fill you in on what I found. I don't trust a shop to 'find' it for me, so instead of them throwing parts at it, it was easier to find it myself.

I out my hands on everything underneath that car that had a bolt, nut, or bushing. Inside of the fender well's behind the caliper bracket there is a bar that attacked to the upper middle of the strut, down to the sway bar. I assume this is GM's idea of a sway bar end link. I had a friend rock teh car as I found out I could recreate the noise by rocking the car back and forth. On the bolt that mounts it to the strut I put my ahdns on it and griped it firmly and low and behold no more clunking noise. My assumption is that there is some type of bushing, that has gone south.

I highly advise anyone with the mystery clunk in the front end to grab ahold of that bar while someone is rocking the car and see if that silences the noise.
    The links for pictures in this post are dead. Photobucket says they're all removed or moved.

• kgp0271kgp0271 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 08 HHR that has been in for service several times for steering problems. They have replaced the steering column, power steering assembly, shaft insulators, etc.... There continues to be a marble rolling sound when accellerating from a stop, and when turning. has anyone else had these same problems?
    kgp0271,
    Please e-mail me with your complete contact information (mailing address, phone, first & last name), VIN and current mileage, and the involved dealer. I would like to look into this further.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Ernesto, please email Christina, do not post personal information in the forums. You can reach her by clicking the green "gmcustsvc" in the heading of her post, which will bring up the user profile and the email link.

• cmyrecmyre Member Posts: 4
    We have a 06 hhr and its first brake job was done at 20,000 miles at the local dealership under warr. The second brake job was done at 36,000 miles I did this one turned teh rotors replaced the pads with the best i could find locally . And at 63,000 miles I'm doing the brakes AGAIN this time i bought new rotors and pads from NAPA . They said the rotors are way better then OEM and the same with the pads. Each time i made sure that the rear brakes were properly adjusted . If i have to do brakes again I will Scream !!!!!!! Get this the Dealer said to use the " I " mode on the Trans. shifter when going down Hills and this will Help the brakes from getting hot as this mode will act like a brake by slowing down the car.
  • rstruthersrstruthers Member Posts: 29
    Good work. Just remember to follow the "break-in proceedure" for the pads you bought. THis is really important.
  • chevy_suckschevy_sucks Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2011
    I'm happy to report that I fixed my HHR problems for good:
    I traded this piece of junk in for a Japanese car!

After this horrifying and nerve wrecking experience I had with this car, I'm done with GM products; I will never ever buy any GM brand anymore!!!

Selling inferior products with chronic issues is one thing, but the even worse part of it is the lousy customer service behind the product. I strongly feel that the people at Chevy/GM still do not understand a very simple and basic truth: we as the customer are the ones actually paying their salary by buying their products!

Since not a single person involved with my problems delivered any form of service which would have made me feel like they deserve some of the money I've spent, I simply will not spend any money anymore with Chevy/GM!

Oh, by the way;
    Since I didn't want any of my friends or family to have a similar experience, I made sure to spread the word how BAD Chevy/GM is. I can say that I'm very proud and happy to announce that so far I successfully managed to keep about $500,000 worth of business away from Chevy/GM! ...and I'm not done yet...!

Well, here's some simple mathematics for the Chevy/GM people:
    Taking care of the customer would have cost you maybe about $1500 in my case. I would have been happy and would have told my friends and family about how well you're taking care of your customers.
    Your initial investment of $1500 would have brought you $500,000 in referrals = your gain $498,500

Pissing off (sorry my language...) a customer and watch how that $500,000 is going to your competitors.

So, I think there are only two possibilities:
    1. Either Chevy/GM management is too educate to understand basic milk book calculation
    2. Or they just don't care.

Personally, I think it's the latter...
  • barbannabarbanna Member Posts: 6
    Good for you! In May 2007, I traded in a beautiful 2005 PT Cruiser factory woodie that I bought new for a new 2007 HHR. What a stupid mistake!!

The brake vibrations on my brand new HHR began THE FIRST DAY! After numerous attempts to correct the vibrations over the next 12 months, and lots of doubletalk from the dealer, I traded the HHR lemon one year later for a new 08 PT Cruiser - still like new after almost three years of no-problem driving.

I still miss the 05 PT woodie that I traded in for the 07 HHR - it was the worst decision I made in well over 40 years of car buying.

BTW, for years GM has been well aware of this chronic problem with HHR brake vibrations!
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    Well, I guess you guys weren't lucky.
    My wife has a 2006 HHR and loves it, no problems at all.
    I bought a 2010 HHR and so far after 1 year...no problems. My wife is thinking of trading her HHR for a 2011.
    If the PT Looser is soooo good, why did they stopped production and the HHR is still going?
  • barbannabarbanna Member Posts: 6
    You are fortunate to be one of the lucky ones with a non-vibrating HHR. I wish mine could have been in the same category.

Yes, Chrysler's last PT Cruiser came off the line in 2010 after 11 years of production - a very good run. Chevy's HHR still has five more years to go to tie the PT.

If the HHR is still in production in 2016, perhaps GM will have fixed the vibration problem.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    I had bad vibrations with my 2005 Equinox when I applied the brakes.
    My rotors where always warped, had to get them machined every 5 months and after 4 times had to change the rotors and still doing the same.
    I used to call it my Equijunk until I fell in love with the HHR.
    The HHR has the same platform and engines as the Cobalts (coupe/sedan) and never heard no one complain about the Cobalt?
    The designer that drew the PT Cruiser quit his job at Chrysler and went with G.M.
    Shutttttt! I work in a Dodge/Chrysler dealership and see lots of PT Cruiser's coming in. Very hard to sell on the lot.
  • jhicks2jhicks2 Member Posts: 2
    I am a proud (lol) owner of 2008 Chevy HHR. My first problem was the brakes. at 20,000 miles had to have rotors turned and new pads put on. At 36,042 miles went back for same problem was told it was out of warranty and needed to pay for myself. Then 3,000 miles later my struts went bad, which also at the same time my swaybar links went bad also. Then at 44,ooo miles my engine light came on and my vent on top of my gas tank wasn't working so they had to replace it. Now Im starting to hear water sounds in my dash and starting to smell antifreeze still have to take in to see what it is. Now not sure about anyone else but I have put more money into this car than its worth. I have also contacted GM about all my problems and all they could tell me was sorry. BIGGEST P.O.S. I have ever owned and I am a huge fan of Chevy's but this one car has got me thinking about Honda
    I hear your frustrations.I bought my HHR after seeing it at the LA car show at the end of 2005. So when the first arrived at the dealerships I was on the list to purchase...How I wish that list was lost.. :) I too had brake problems with a horrible shuttering of the steering wheel not even 4 weeks after my purchase. I was coming home from a camping trip near Lake Arrowhead I pulled over to let my husband drive it down the hill. I could hardly control the shuttering of the wheel and the grinding sound coming down the hill. The more you pressed on the brakes, the harder the steering wheel shuttered. Needless to say with our daughters in the car, it was pretty scary. I was thankful it was summer.I know I wouldn't be here today had it been a slippery road. Of course I brought it straight to the dealer and they said hmmm.new rotors..well that became the standard answer for over a year.....My car at that point had maybe 400 miles. So in the last 5 years..I can tell you I had at least 20 rotor turns on the lathe...4 sets of new brakes, a new rack n pinion..steering rack, swaybar links.The classic part is the dealership up and closed and they were the ones helping me to try and get this hunk of junk classified as a lemon..48 hrs prior the manager of the dealership asked me to bring in all my paperwork so he could look at things.. well being that I saw them on a twice a week basis..didn't think of making photo copies. So, when the closed, they took my paperwork, and my written proof with them. GM has no idea where they have gone...And each time I have called GM they make it seem as though I am the ONLY person out there having these issues..My car to this day has 42k miles as I am terrified of driving it with my little ones in the car..My friend has the water sounds in hers...after a while the passenger side floor was soaked, and continues to have all the same issues that we all are having. Its so frustrating, and even more so that GM doesnt care nor will they listen..I have heard from many on this site wanting to start a class action lawsuit. I will be the first to jump on that. I think Chevy needs to stick with trucks..I know if I could afford it I would get rid of this.. I have put thousands into a car thats not worth it. :lemon: :mad:
  • ernestogernestog Member Posts: 2
    At 34700 miles I had a front brake pad kit, front brake rotors replaced and new brake fluid added. I now have 39400 miles and have driven on Colorado mountain highways many times without a hint of pulsation or any other problems associated with the brakes. I can only think that the brake problems that I have had since 25000 miles were caused by the OEM brake pads and rotors, and resurfacing them did not solve the problem. Signing off.
    >I had a front brake pad kit, front brake rotors replaced and new brake fluid added.

Were the calipers replaced?

Yours is certainly the idea. Even the fluid is replaced in case it's vaporization of water-contaminated fluid causing problems.

With the others who have posted complaining about brakes, there seems to be a question in my mind about whether they're thoroughly being checked.

I suspect there is a problem with the pads and the type of rotor used new. I believe those are lighter in weight for fuel economy concerns. If they are abused, the pads can affect the coating of resin that's on the rotors and it becomes uneven. That can cause a grabbing effect. This is something I read about on sources about properly breaking in new pads. So starting with new pads and new rotors is a good step.

• leah5leah5 Member Posts: 6
    yup sure does as well with a lot of other problems too. i'd love to know if there is going to be a lawsuit on this issue...or if everyone who has a HHR with all these simlar problems are going to get new cars FREE of charge? only because we have all had major problems with these wonderful cars that your dealership wants to repersent? And now thats its raining where i live, my sunroof is going to leak yet again, and now that my door handle on the passenger side broke i'm going to have to roll down my window in the RAIN causeing i'm sure even more water damage and even more mold. tell me please why do you care when the chevy dealership doesn't? honestly i don't get it.
    jhicks2,
    Can you please email me with your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jhicks2jhicks2 Member Posts: 2
    Christina, I have delt with GM customer service in the past on all the issues and you guys act like I am the first person to ever have these problems. When I can find 20 other forums on the web with hundreds of other people with this vehicle that are having the same problem. Now when you find a pic on the web of a red chevy HHR and it has written P.O.S all over it you will know its mine. I'm tired of getting my hopes up that you guys are actually going to do something or actually care about the crap you are selling to the customers. Now when I start hearing you (GM) want to make an effort to correct the wrong to all the customers that have encountered the same problems then I will start talking to you guys again. If you want to find more out about my Vehicle all you have to do is contact Coughlin Auto in London, OHIO and they can tell you all about me and my car. So start looking for my car on the web and my mission to keep as many people as possible from buying this car as possible. Its not fair to the consumer when people who build a car don't stand behind their product. Thats how I feel anyway and sure many other people do too.
  • witz1976witz1976 Member Posts: 2
    I too have been sharing the woes of the HHR brakes. I have a 2006 HHR and once a year I need new rotors & brake pads. Last year I installed drilled & slotted rotors thinking it would solve the issue...nope. I am still getting infrequent shakes. It is very annoying because my mechanic & I cannot find any answers to why this is happening. I have not tried the semi soft pads yet, but has anyone else have any good answers?

Thanks! :cry: