Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy HHR Brake Problems

Comments

• imdisgruntledimdisgruntled Member Posts: 6
    Try having the bearings checked, I had the dealership replace the bearings and no more shimmy and shake .....so far (20K Miles ).
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    edited April 2011
    leah5,
    I am here to help get our customers concerns to GM. Can you please email me with information on what you are currently experiencing, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • brkdrvrbrkdrvr Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2011
    Here the final post on for my '07 HHR's brake troubles. At 85,000 I am selling the car at a huge loss due to the plague of suspension and brake issues we've suffered through, including two sets of drums, rotors & pads and four additional turnings of the the rotors and two turnings of the drums and two complete system flush/bleedings. This car absolutely cannot make it 5,000 miles w/o the rotors failing/warping & causing the brakes, steering wheel and in some cases the entire car to pulsate. My dealer who sold us the car has tried to make good but once the car was out of wrnty GM's not helpful. Besides I think all my good will was used up getting the wheel front bearings, both of which failed by 15K replaced (we called to complain about a faint grinding/scuffing noise on the way home from buying the car). The brakes on these cars obviously have some type of design or manufacturing problem that is not cured buy changing brands of rotors & pads. I changed to top of the line NAPA pads, rotors & drums @ 50K & two turnings and have now given up after replacing everything.

I am a "car guy" have been driving legally for 34 years and doing a lot of my own work for most of that time & I have never had a car go through brakes like this. I used to think 30k for pads was bad & could normally squeeze 80 -100k out of rotors if they were turn-able (my 2005 suburban Z71 just got re-shod @ 90k - old rotors & pads were original). The suburban has been a great car but may be my last GM. We'll be getting a used '06, '07, '08 VW Jetta, what we were looking at before we decided to buy American, save a few bucks and get a fun car. I kick myself everyday for not spending the extra 8k and buying a VW TDI instead of this POS. If not for the suspension & brake problems I would keep this car and feel like I got my moneys worth, but GM has to know the brakes are defective an simply refuses to correct it.

I strongly suspect that the problem could be solved by an retro fit or upgrade to calipers, rotors or replacing rear drums w/rotors. My GM dealers offer is to replace the front rotors & turn the rear drums for $500 and they'll warrant that for 12mos/12k miles, but who the hell wants to go back every 4k and have rotors tuned for a year and then spend another $500 the next year. Like your grandparents always said buy quality (think American).
  • snowmomansnowmoman Member Posts: 20
    I have followed this blog for well over two years. All I hear is the same old story. Christina, GM knows there is a problem. So do you. Endless documentation, calls to the dealers, requesting VIN numbers, etc. is a waste of time and is a delay tactic. How about a recall and get it done right? Does anybody out there agree with me? Don't pee on my shoes and tell me it's raining....
  • witz1976witz1976 Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to, just because it has happenes like clockwork every 8 months (around 8 - 10K miles) the car shakes violently. So I am sure the bearing are nice and loose now too.

A shame too...I wanted to try American made stuff...but now I cannot wait to get rid of this piece of crap!
  • rstruthersrstruthers Member Posts: 29
    I totally agree to the recall idea. !!!!!! :D
    I'm with the guy who is getting the Jetta. My son-in-law has one and it is really nice. TDI is the way to go 42-45 mpg and loads of low end torque. That thing really goes up the hills.
  • calnmadsmomcalnmadsmom Member Posts: 24
    Here is what solved my problems with the constant brake replacements, rotors being turned..steering wheel shudder...I did so much research and found many that have our same problems and frustrations...this guy fixed his on his own thanks GM ;) Here is his post..I copied and pasted it below. It's now been six months...this is the longest my HHR has stayed out of the shop..No shudder in the steering wheel, no more rotors being turned..or replaced..this is the first time in 5 years I haven't wanted to drop it off the end of the Santa Monica Pier... It's posted below...

...here is Clunking issue: Solved!
    SO tonight I set out to find exactly, what was clunking. Alot of us have the mystery clunk, so I will fill you in on what I found. I don't trust a shop to 'find' it for me, so instead of them throwing parts at it, it was easier to find it myself.

I out my hands on everything underneath that car that had a bolt, nut, or bushing. Inside of the fender well's behind the caliper bracket there is a bar that attacked to the upper middle of the strut, down to the sway bar. I assume this is GM's idea of a sway bar end link. I had a friend rock the car as I found out I could recreate the noise by rocking the car back and forth. On the bolt that mounts it to the strut I put my ahdns on it and griped it firmly and low and behold no more clunking noise. My assumption is that there is some type of bushing, that has gone south.

I highly advise anyone with the mystery clunk in the front end to grab ahold of that bar while someone is rocking the car and see if that silences the noise.

-Marcus
    snowmoman,
    My job here is to speak with customers experiencing problems, evaluate their situation, and pass the information along to GM through our Customer Assistance cases. As every company we have standard operating procedures and gathering this information is one of the first things I need to do. This allows me to look into information on your vehicle, as well as set up a case with customer assistance. I understand that seeing many posts on the same concerns on this forum makes it seem apparent that there is a wide spread problem with this; unfortunately GM does not see this forum. This is why I am here. I am here looking through your posts and working on getting customers with these issues heard by GM. Recalls and widespread concerns come to light and are formed through cases to Customer Assistance. So, if you are experiencing any issues and care to send me some generic information I would be happy to set up a case for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • chevygirl123chevygirl123 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2011
    I just had the POWER STEERING light come on my 2006 chevy hhr Lt when I pulled off the free way the power steering went out. I read the manual and it says the POWER STEERING is ELECTRIC and when I looked under the hood in the fuse box there is a fuse for the POWER STEERING? I dont know if it isnt the fuse what it could be.I have never dealt with a chevy that has Electric POWER STEERING before? I really want to know if this has happened to anyone else and if so what did you do to fix the problem??? Does anyone know about electric power steering?? P.S I have had this car 5 months and it has been one thing after another. Cute car but is a horrible money PIT!!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited April 2011
    > I dont know if it isnt the fuse what it could be.I have never dealt with a chevy that has Electric POWER STEERING before?

There's a recall on the steering motors in Cobalts for replacement. You need to ask your dealer about that recall. Call the dealer with your last 8 digits of the VIN number and ask if your vehicle qualifies.

Is the steering working normally after the car is turned off and then restarted?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

chevygirl123,
    I would recommend taking it in to have it diagnosed by a GM dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Well about a year ago I had new pads and rotors were resurfaced. Car is shaking again. Called Ray Dennison Chevrolet in Pekin, Illinois with no luck. Said resurfaced rotors not covered under repair warranty. So, after 9,000 miles I am looking at another brake job. Incredible.......I guess with the HHR when I stop at the gas station it is gas, oil, and brake check. When dealer did work last year stabilizer bar was shot too...Think I might get another month or so out of that...
  • gypsycookiegypsycookie Member Posts: 1
    I called the dealership to get the problem fixed. They told it me would be about $300-500 and I can't even get a loaner car. I've seen your answer on other boards as well and it's always, "Have it diagnosed by a dealer". That doesn't help me when I know right off the bat the dealership isn't going to be helpful or even fix the problem that CHEVY KNEW ABOUT AND DID NOTHING ABOUT. I am going into a situation knowing the dealership is planning to bend me over and not even give me the courtesy of a loaner vehicle. The service manager was not helpful. Christina, it's not even 8:30 am and I'm beyond frustrated in dealing with the dealership and I haven't even left my house.

Please don't post anything if your answer is only going to be "take it in and let those rip off guys come at it". It's a catch all answer that doesn't help, but only serve to infuriate me further.
    jhicks2,
    I understand that you see all of these people on the forums that are experiencing concerns such as yours; however, if these people haven't spoke with customer assistance then customer assistance hasn't heard of the problem. If you would like to email me with detailed information about your situation and vehicle I can look into this. Since you have already spoken with customer assistance why don't you email me your contact information so I can look into these interactions? Thank you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Thank you after all the long hours of re search I figured out all the issues on my own lol. It is the same faulty part that was in the cobalt it is the ELECTRIC POWER STEERING MOTOR located under the steering colum. It cost me $120.00 and one hour of labor. They just havent recalled them in the HHRs yet. I filed a complaint with nation highway safety! Thank you Melanie
    If you want to help work on getting the POWER STEERING MOTOR RECALLED IN THE HHRS. It was the same fauly part in my HHR that was in the cobalts made in Japan by DENSCO it is located under the steering colum. Same part just went out taking my power steering almost killing me and the passengers in the car!! While GM wants to replace the whole steering colum for $611.13 just for the part not labor. I researched it online figured out what it was on my own, bought the POWER STEERING MOTOR and replaced it for $120.00 lol what a joke! Recall the POWER STEERING MOTOR in the HHR is what you can do. I filed a complaint with Nation Highway Safety and figured out the problem already so I dont think there is anything you can help me with at this point. Thanks n e ways Melanie
    I got the same message from Christia. Also got a call from customer service.
    Same old song and dance: bring it in to a dealer on my dime, no recall, promise of fixing it. Just the run around. Wasting time. Wasting money.
    :lemon:
    I HAD THE CLUNKING IN MY FRONT END I REPLACED THE STRUTS,BRAKES ECT EVERYTHING YOU COULD EMAGINE. THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS LATER UNTIL I FINALLY GOT IT FIGURED!!!!! THE NOISE WILL HAPPEN ON BIG BUMPS,TURNS AND IF YOU PUSH HARD BACK AND FORTH ON YOUR FRONT END WITH MORE THAN ONE PERSON!!!! IT SOUNDS LIKE A STRUTS NOISE NO NO ITS THE STABILIZER BAR BUSHINGS YOU HAVE TWO REPLACE BOTH!! THEY ARE LITTLE RUBBER BUSHINGS E Z FIX!! I PAID UNDER $100.00 AT FIRESTONES TO REPLACE AND FIX! I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM BUT THE INFORMATION I HAVE GIVEN YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIGURE IT OUT WITH OUT HAVING TO REPLACE EVERYTHING FIRST. I HAVE ALSO FIXED MY THE POWER STEERING PROBLEM IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THAT!!GOOD LUCK
    >It cost me $120.00 and one hour of labor.

Hang onto your receipt and old part for when there is a future recall.

gypsycookie,
    Can you please send me your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to look into this further.

Christina
    GM Customer Service
    snowmoman,
    Can you please send me your complete contact information including a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I emailed the information to you. Thank you Christina.
    rstruthers,
    I understand your frustration with your situation. As all major companies or corporations, we have standard operating procedures. GM does handle their customers individually, not all situations are the same, so they must be handled on a case by case basis. I am here to help make GM aware of your situations. The only way I can do this is with your assistance. First, I need your contact information (including a good number to reach you), VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and a break down of what you are experiencing. The best way to get me this information is a direct email. If you are unsure or uncomfortable please feel free to inquire with the host, or send me an email with your telephone number and I can give you a call. Second, the vehicle must be taken to a GM Dealer. They have a contract with GM and must look at the vehicle. For GM to know you are experiencing issues, you must contact GM; whether it is me via email or Customer Assistance via the telephone. This will help identify the problem and how large it is. I understand when you are experiencing these concerns these processes can be frustrating. All concerns, whether it be with a dealer or your vehicle, are documented in the cases set up if you directly contact GM. If you would like to call Customer Assistance and speak with someone the number is in your owners manual, or email me and I can provide it to you. If you would like me to assist you, please feel free to email me the information requested above. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    chevygirl123,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you were able to resolve your concerns. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you and have a great weekend!
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Thanks for calling me today. However wanting me to take the car to the dealer at my own expense is not helping. You told me the car is out of warranty. I know that already. If I have to pay for an inspection how is that helping?

This is why so many are angry with Chevrolet about this problem. You are all in denial.
    Exactly ! This is the same thing that I got about 3 weeks ago. Nice phone call from customer service but no real help.
    I asked her "why not just put out a recall on this car and fix it?" Nope, they just want to appear like they are doing something.
    snowmoman,
    I apologize for your frustration; however, having the vehicle diagnosed is the first step in our process of handling your concerns. As every major company we have standard operating procedures and having the vehicle diagnosed is just that. This helps us to get technical information on your concerns. I apologize; but this is at the cost of the customer, but this is the only way we can evaluate your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    rstruthers,
    I apologize you are unhappy with the way this was handeled; however, recalls are forumed by customer complaints into customer assitance. Customer assistance needs to have the vehicle diagnoised by a GM dealer for many reasons. Mainly so we can figure out what is going on with your vehicle and why. This helps us evaluate your situation so that way me can try to come to a resolution. So I would recommend having the vehicle diagnoised and working iwth your agent so we can try to assist you with this matter.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. I had brakes done on it by Firestone almost 4 years ago. Started to get a noise and they inspected the brakes free of charge. My HHR dealer wanted to charge me around $30 to look at my HHR brakes for this problem we are all having. I have bought my last GM vehicle. Christina, you don't get it. You are only pretending to help.
    Donna,
    Can you please send me your VIN for your HHR? Have you taken your vehicle to the dealer for this difficult braking? Have you spoke with Customer Assistance about this on going issue? I understand that seeing the posts on this thread can be overwhelming; however, recalls are not formed due to posts on a forum. These complaints have to actually go though GM. We have standard operating procedures to escalate these issues to the appropriate department and each case is handled on a case by case basis. I would be happy to look into information on the difficult braking concerns on your HHR. I would definitely recommend having the vehicle looked at by a dealer. If you haven’t spoke with Customer Assistance I would also like to set up a case for you. I am here to get these complaints heard by GM. I would like to thank you for your assistance in doing so.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    PLEASE do not post your personal contact information or your VIN in the forums. The posts are not private and can be viewed by anyone on the internet. Even your VIN is traceable to you and can open you to unwanted contact or malicious use of your personal information.

If you wish to contact the factory service representatives, click on the username link in their post and the email link will appear in their user profile.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • kewassonkewasson Member Posts: 1
    Today calling to find a few things for our 2008 Chevy HHR. The first part my husband asked about was a bushing, the guy immediately says "Wow, that's the first time I have had anyone ask about anything but rotors for an HHR!" My husband responds that well, need those too. So why hasn't this been recalled??
    I wish they would issue a recall. And, I have noticed one thing gets kinda repaired just for another thing to go wrong. My traction control light came on as well as the engine light. I felt like I was driving on ice. Thank goodness I wasn't on the freeway going 65+. Needless to say with my two daughters in the car, I pulled it over, phoned my husband and have not gotten back in the darn thing. He brought it to the shop and now there is an issue with the crank shaft...So, here goes another 1,000. Thus far we have put into this hunk of junk close to 4,000 it has 46k. GM should issue a recall but talking with the executive offices once again Friday they refuse to and continues to make me feel as though I am the only one out there calling and complaining. And with each phone call they act as if they are so surprised by what I am sharing with them. Even when I share that I know there are many people that have my same concerns. Their reply is " Well we haven't heard anything, and none of our mechanics have phoned either" Ya right!!!!
    :lemon: :mad:
    calnmadsmom,

Do you currently have a case set up with GM Customer Assistance? If so, could you please email me the case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Try this. It works better than GM customer service. Touch the back of your head while walking backwards. Stop and now walk forward. Now do this repeatedly 10,000 times and see if the situation with your HHR is resolved.
    snowmoman,

I understand your frustrations with your situations. As all major companies or corporations, we have standard operating procedures. GM does handle their customers individually, not all situations are the same, so they must be handled on a case by case basis. I am here to help make GM aware of your situations. The only way I can do this is with your assistance. First, I need your contact information (including a good number to reach you), VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and a break down of what you are experiencing. The best way to get me this information is a direct email. If you are unsure or uncomfortable please feel free to inquire with the host, or send me an email with your telephone number and I can give you a call. Second, the vehicle must be taken to a GM Dealer. They have a contract with GM and must look at the vehicle. For GM to know you are experiencing issues, you must contact GM; whether it is me via email or Customer Assistance via the telephone. This will help identify the problem and how large it is. I understand when you are experiencing these concerns these processes can be frustrating. All concerns, whether it be with a dealer or your vehicle, are documented in the cases set up if you directly contact GM. If you would like to call Customer Assistance and speak with someone the number is in your owners manual, or email me and I can provide it to you. If you would like me to assist you, please feel free to email me the information requested above.

Thank you,
  • tliotatliota Member Posts: 1
    Chevy turned my rotors 3 times - still vibrating. Chevy repalced the rotors after several years of arguing. 3,000mi. later vibrations are back, chevy turns them twice more after more verbal jousting. Vibration back after 4000mi.

I than put Raybestoes aftermarket rotors and pads on myself - Its like a new car. Gm parts are nothing but crap.
    edited May 2011
    >I than put Raybestoes aftermarket rotors and pads on myself

Did you change the calipers? I believe some brake problems have their start in dragging calipers, whether it's the pistons, or the slides on which the calipers ride getting dry, or the brake lines and the ABS unit not allowing brake fluid back through to release pressure completely.

If my Cobalt starts giving brake shudder, I'll put on Raybestos High Tech rotors, replace the calipers with rebuilt or rebuild them myself, and put on semi-metallic pads instead of ceramic. I'm not sure what it has from the factory. I was told at the dealer my leSabre had semi-metallic from the factory. I have read that the ceramic pads heat up more.

I have not studied the design on the slides for the calipers on my Cobalt. I know the slides on my 98 leSabre tended to rust inside the caliper ears compressing the rubber sleeve with the slide pin inside. I believe that made the calipers not move away from the rotor when the piston tried to release.

• hatemyhhrhatemyhhr Member Posts: 7
    I bought a 2007 HHR - brand new. My first new car ever in my life. I was so excited but not for long. I have had nothing but problems with this car that I hate it & I wish I never would have even bought it. The shaking happened within a month ! Some clunky noise coming from drivers side, have no idea what it is. The shaking is so bad my hands have to grip the wheel and my whole arm shakes. The " sevice your air bag light came on " and is still on. The seams of the interior do not line up & it looks just slopped together. Both of my keyless entry keys quit working within 2 months of purchase. My air conditioner quit working last summer & stopped working again today. Some days it works some days it doesnt. My engine light comes on and off FYI I have had it serviced as it should - it is my only car ! It has slipped out of gear with my son in the car. I have called the dealership, 2 dealerships in my area and they act SHOCKED !! They are not willing to do anything to help me. This has been going on since I bought it. My car has 50,000 miles on it. Im so mad with Chevrolet I cant stand it. They never returned my calls - I even filed a complain with Ohio state Attorney General Office. I feel so taken advantage of. I would never recommend anyone buy even a gumball from GM. I cant beleive I finally found some other people who are having the EXACT same problems. Those problems I listed are just some off the top of my head too. GM had me thinking that I was some crazy person. I have never been so disappointed with a product in my life. I told Attorney General office my car is nothing but a lemon. They said b/c it was not in the shop at least 3x the first year it cant be considered a lemon -- well now I know why they ( GM ) did not want me to bring the car in just a month after I got it. They have not stuck by their product at all. I hope some of us here can find a way out of this. Everytime I step in that car, I feel discusted, afarid and very upset that they can get away with this. But they do and they HAVE !!!!! Its a peice of junk. I would set it on fire and watch it burn if i could. I cant beleive with all these problems they wont fix it or recall it. I also filed with a complain with ODI/NHTSA. Ive done everything I could do and here I am 4 years later and not one step further.
    I know !! They are so messed up. In my situation they have put me off for 4 years !! Wont return my calls - have never returned my calls. One guy I talked to shortly after about the shaking of the car told me not to brake so hard. ???? what ????? They have put me on hold and have hung up on me during " transfering me " I had that feeling this was done on purpose b/c it happened ALOT. They did not want to hear from me. After I left that lot In my NEW HHR - I was on my own and have been ever since. What does a girl do ? They treat me like Im stupid. My father was there when I got the car - shortly after he fell very sick with brain cancer. He passed away quickly & I really feel that if I had him, a man, that they would not treat me the way they did & have. I guess my point is ------ my car was in warranty and they did not do one single thing. In warranty/out of warranty -- they do not care about us, no matter who we are. There has to be something that we all can do together about this. We need to do something about this. My whole car shakes - engine light on & off - service air bag light on - goes out of gear - clunky noise - AC stops working, then starts working - makes a loud noise, like a rattle noise while just sitting there in nuetral - it has even not started a couple times, then starts - did i meantion the endless clunking ?? Just to name a few. I am embarassed to have anyone ride in my car. When its shakeing, i have to keep both hands tight on the wheel and it shakes both my arms ! It is like a battle to keep it steady. :mad:
    hatemyhhr,
    I apologize for your frustrations. My job is to get your concerns to Customer Assistance. Complaints to Customer Assistance help in getting recalls started. This allows GM to monitor the problem by out team monitoring different forums and helping get your complaints to Customer Assistance. If you have unresolved concerns please feel free to email me and I can look into your situation further.
    Christina
    Gm Customer Service
    I think that by now there are so many of us unhappy HHR owners..and we are all complaining about the same exact thing. When I first started this battle it was 4 years ago...My steering wheel shook so badly that I at one point thought I was going to have to pull over and regain composure. I was on the freeway in Los Angeles with my two daughters in the backseat. I drove it into my driveway, handed my husband the keys, and said that until GM steps up takes responsibility for the problems that so many are having..I would not be driving the car, nor would the kids be in the backseat. I didnt feel like being GM "FIRST" fatality. And GM wasn't taking and still is not taking a problem thats going to kill someone seriously. I have had the rotors turned too many times to count..brakes have been replaced, shocks,struts, steering column And, by the time some of the more costly parts were being replaced the warranty was long since over, and it has been out of pocket. Frustrating to say the least. My husband said we should leave it on the side of the road with the keys in it..I said anyone that would take it would drive it half a block and pull it over and get the heck out. You couldn' t give me one of these. And everyone I have talked to that has one has the same issue..and would love to drive it off a bridge. Sad...there needs to be a recall.... :lemon:
    Sorry to say you will get nowhere with GM. They simply don't care. It's about profits--why they got in trouble in the first place.
    edited June 2011
    christina - Are you serious ? Yes my problems that have been going on for 4 years have been resolved in a couple days ..... give me a break. As if I need to say this ------ ALL my problems have been unresolved, unnoticed. Thought that was pretty clear in my post. I am real sick and tired of the management at GM - customer service - ...... my engine light is coming on and off , and my air conditioner is not working. As I said before - My car has been serviced as it should be and I have done everything I should do for the life of the car.
    I was talking to my neighbor who has a friend with an HHR - shocking news that they hate theirs too - nothing but problems for them either.
    This is a 2007 - its only 4 yrs old. Problems started about a month after having the car. Your not going to help - Ive read through these post - you havent helped anyone.
    This car is a death trap. I will not let anyone ride in this car - it is so humiliating & I dont want them to be with me when this thing decides not to stop or the steering wheel pops off and they get hurt or killed. You just would not beleive how this shakes. Its crazy - but you wouldnt know - cuz you dont own this peice of crap do you ? You wouldnt know anything about how frustrated I am or how frustrated all these poor people are on here b/c you arent stuck with one of these crap cars, your not spending your hard earned money on something that doesnt work and is dangerous, you havent spent years making payments on time nor have you spent years trying to get GM to fix/recall or even LISTEN to what we all have said. You want to help me ? Bring me your car and we will trade. You drive it. Put your kids in it. Take your family out in it. Take your friends to a movie in it. Drive on the highway in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    It seems that we're always reading negative "Posts" on every forums.
    Let me tell you about my 2010 HHR 2LT that I own and proud of it and it's PROBLEM FREE!
    First trip from Ottawa Ont. to Victoria B.C. and back 6,000 milles (10,000 kms)
    Second trip from Ottawa Ont. to Daytona Beach Fl. and back 3,600 milles (5,800 kms) + all my city driving and none of those problems that I read on this forum happened.
    By the way I was saying to my wife the it's the best vehicle we've ever owned (all my cars/trucks/vans/SUV's) we're bought new and well maintained.
    Soooooo? I'm I the only lucky one on this forum that owns a "Problem free HHR" or those who are proud and enjoy their HHR don't write to say how this machine is good, economical and fun to drive?
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    In general I think people write about good things when a vehicle is new introduction, seems that way anyway. I am still enjoying my 06' at 118,000 miles or so. Have had to do some maintanance things, T-stat that was stuck open, exhaust can acuater solenoid. Just recently had shocks/struts changed (overdue) and sway bar links, that took care of the shakes and rattely banging that was going on. Also had the issue with brake rotors, corrected with generic aftermarket replacements, properly broken in.
    > Also had the issue with brake rotors, corrected with generic aftermarket replacements, properly broken in.

At what mileage did you replace the rotors?

Did you replace pads? Calipers?

My belief is that the braking shudder is from abuse and then the warped rotors being turned rather than replaced. I also believe caliper binding on the slides is a factor.

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I may have posted before on when the rotors were replaced, but if memory serves me correct I think around the 75-80K mile mark when they wore out.

In general I think I am pretty easy on brakes but may fail to be extra easy when pads are replaced and are getting broken in as suggested
    by GM.
    When they (rotors) were replaced it was by an independant , don't know if the slide were checked.

I think the original rotors were turned 2 times , once along with pad replcement.
    calnmadsmom,
    I apologize for your frustrations. So you have a case with Customer Assistance? Can I please have your case number? Has the dealer involved Technical Assistance?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    edited June 2011
    I guess maybe you are one of the lucky ones. Beleive me - I do not want these problems. I wish this was a great car but in my case, its not a great car. Its not a good car. I dont know if maybe they fixed some well known problems by 2010 when you got yours but all I know is this ---- mine is dangerous and not because I am behind the wheel. I am obviously not alone with these problems as they are ALL almost identical. Also, the response from GM is the icing on the cake. If they would ( and they can - still could ) do something to fix the problems, I know I would be very happy. If GM just stood up and said .... We stand behind what we make and sell - lets make it right. Make the customers happy & fix these problems. In fairytale land - IF that were to happen, many , if not all of us with these problems would be on here saying how wonderful GM is/was for recognizing the problems and fixing them. Instead GM ignores you, puts you off. They want you to pay for " diagnostics " on a new car. I just do not think that is right. The people that have been able to take their cars in to get " fixed " -----they do not get fixed.
    On SAFECAR.GOV *SERVICE BULLETINS* for hhr's :
    2007 - 32
    2010 -18 (so far)
    *COMPLAINTS* ON SAFECAR.GOV
    2007 - 165
    2010 - 13
    I hope more people will file their complaints so maybe this can get taken care of. Here is a link where you can file a complaint online -
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I am sure there are many others like you that love your car & have had no problems with it. I think that is a wonderful thing. :)
    I wouldnt wish these problems on anyone. :(