Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy HHR Brake Problems

Comments

• robert1667robert1667 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2008 Turbo charged HHR. My car spent 22 days in the shop and after an "inspector" for GM looked at it he said he could find nothing wrong. I have let car idle and the brakes still fail. It has happened going forward and backward. I let car warm up and drive 200 feet and brakes fail. They have told us it was a computer glitch and fixed it once, within 2 weeks it was back to the same thing, the brakes failed and I bumped into a car in my driveway. After 3 visits to the dealer they are still saying there is nothing wrong. This is a serious problem and not only should there be a recall, but GM needs to held accountable.
  • warvinwarvin Member Posts: 10
    I have had my HHR 2007 for 11 months and about the third month I was coming down the highway and getting off an exit when I stepped on the brakes the car started to vibrate. I took it back to the dealer and they said they took it for a test drive and no problems. It happened again a month later and I took it back and suggested that it might be the rotors. Again they insisted that it couldn't be that because my car was only 4 months old and no way that could happen. I insisted that they check the rotors because in addition the brakes started to squeak.

The sales guy finally check the rotors and had to admit that I was right and so he adjusted the rotor or so he said. The vibrating stopped but the problem that I am still having is squeaky brakes. It is driving me nuts. Anyone else out there have this problem. I have taken it back so many times that when they see me coming they run in the other direction. I love my car though.

Would love to hear from anybody who seems to be having this problem.
  • barbannabarbanna Member Posts: 6
    Yes, I did. And so have a lot of other HHR owners. Go back to May of 2007 to read my posting. I had exactly the same experience as you - so did a lot of others. My first vibration episode happened the first day I owned the car. The dealer gave me the same runaround - four times. I understand that in May of 08 Chevy finally put out a service bulletin about this problem, that seems to affect only HHRs. Your dealer should have known about this problem. Good luck. (I finally dumped my HHR and went back to a PT. I never have to worry about its brakes not working.)
  • warvinwarvin Member Posts: 10
    Thank goodness I am not going out of my mind. My sister said they probably arent' listening because you are a woman. I know some basics about a car no mechanic by a long shot but I married into a family that all the guys worked on their own cars and pretty much gave me some of the alerts I should be looking for.

I will go back to your post. I am taking the car in again for an oil change and a brake squeak check again.
  • frostylawfrostylaw Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2008 HHR SS with serious brake issues. GM refuses to admit there is even a problem and sent me off to drive away in an unsafe vehicle. If you are one of the many people having brake problems with your 2008 HHR SS (auto) please contact

Green Welling LLP - National Class Action Attorneys
    rsg@classcounsel.com
    415-477-6700

They are evaluating the 2008 HHR SS brake issue. They have not yet decided to take the case, but they are gathering information. They need additional information so if you too are experiencing problems with your HHR SS brakes, please contact them and provide them with information. GM needs to fix the problem or work with us in finding a solution, not send us away driving unsafe vehicles. Not everyone is experiencing this problem. If you are not, disregard. If you are, help may be at hand.
  • frostylawfrostylaw Member Posts: 2
    own a 2008 HHR SS with serious brake issues. GM refuses to admit there is even a problem and sent me off to drive away in an unsafe vehicle. If you are one of the many people having brake problems with your 2008 HHR SS (auto) please contact

Green Welling LLP - National Class Action Attorneys
    rsgclasscounsel.com
    415-477-6700

They are evaluating the 2008 HHR SS brake issue. They have not yet decided to take the case, but they are gathering information. They need additional information so if you too are experiencing problems with your HHR SS brakes, please contact them and provide them with information. GM needs to fix the problem or work with us in finding a solution, not send us away driving unsafe vehicles. Not everyone is experiencing this problem. If you are not, disregard. If you are, help may be at hand.
  • dethdeth Member Posts: 2
    I was in total lust with my car when I got it, until the break sqeak started!! 2008 HHR w/under 4000 miles on it. When I slow to stop, rather than "hard stop" my brakes squeak so bad that I cringe. It's embarassing and ear peircing. I've taken it in and was told it's the ceramic brake pad surface becoming slick because of how I slow to stop. Well I live in downtown Phoenix, AZ and drive mostly city streets. There's alot of slowing to stop. They suggested that when I'm in a parking lot, do a bunch of hard stopping to roughen up the pad. This hasn't worked.

I'm so annoyed. I've called and emailed GM. This is supposed to be a "lifetime" brake pad according the the service guys. Frankly I'd rather pay money for new pads every few years to not be constantly embarrassed and sounding like my brakes need replacing.
  • stevephillipsstevephillips Member Posts: 1
    GM fixed the problem. they add a vacuum pump to it. it fixed mine. 2nd one in the undited states to get fixed.... i was mad
  • dethdeth Member Posts: 2
    Does it matter that mine isn't an SS Turbo? How did you manage to get it fixed by them?
  • todorkotodorko Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have an idea where I can find a front stabilizer bar for HHR LS 2006? Do the pads for the stabilizer bar can be bought separately?
  • mastroutmastrout Member Posts: 3
    what dealership fixed your problem.mine would like to know so they can get in touch with them so i can get mine fixed.please email me @ mastrout@comcast.net
    Thanks Mark
  • linda31linda31 Member Posts: 3
    omg it is amazing that the dealership i take my HHR to also runs when they see me coming. they have looked at my brakes 3 times. i'm taking it in tomorrow for the 4th time. the last time i took it in they replaced the pads and for 2 days things were quiet and bam the squeaking is back i hate it. and they told me that they would not fix them again because they are suppose to squeak. i don't think so its a new car they are not suppose to squeak. also the passenger side window seal does not work at all it always sounds like my window is down. and i thought i was crazy but sometimes my dash and clock lights flicker off and on. i thought i was seeing things but they flicker. i really hope the dealer does something for me tomorrow. i love the car but i am not dealing with this brake crap any more. done!!!!
  • kbz1960kbz1960 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I was considering buying a Nissan Rogue.... think you all have problems just ask a Nissan Rogue or Morano owner about the 3,000 to 7,000 dollar transmission replacement. Due to that the Nissan is off of my list.

Now are these warped rotor and squeeky break issues still going on with the HHR. I am considering the HHR now that the Nissan is off of my list.

I can't believe that is 2009 and they seem to be making worse cars than they did 1900.

Thanks
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I have a 08 and I have never had a problem with anything. Just oil and filters as needed. You have to remember most of the people are here because of problems. If you never have a problem than they won't be here as they are to busy enjoying their HHR. Only problem I have is not being able to see the red lights due to the front window size and I knew that coming in so I bought aftermarket product to fix that problem. Also 95% of my driving is in the city so this would be a big test on the brakes. Now I have out grown the hot rodding with fast starts and fast stops so I treat my brakes as they should be treated and they take care of me.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I would go with after market rotars and brakes. Midas, Meineke, or any brake shop can do the work and have a life time pad replacement policy.
    what dealership fixed your problem.mine would like to know so they can get in touch with them so i can get mine fixed.please email me mastroutcomcast.net
    Thanks Mark
  • rstruthersrstruthers Member Posts: 29
    I had problems with shimmy of the front wheels with 38,000 miles, Took the brakes apart, very little wear on the pads. The shop ruined the rotors on the lathe but gave me new ones at no charge. I bought new pads and put it all back together. Same problem the front end shakes when going down hills and the brakes get hot. I did not turn the NEW rotors before installing them. Any Ideas?? :mad:
  • hhrprobshhrprobs Member Posts: 13
    My hhr is a 2006 and i have had nothing but trouble out of it.Mine shakes and shimmys and its had the roters turned 3 times and the batterie it just dies itself.I have 28000 mles on it and they said after 7000 mles i would get 30 mles to the gal.lol i get 24 on the hwy.But your problem is the car is a lemon thats what i call mine.I love the look and the ride but its got to many problems.I feel like writing gm :lemon:
  • 87silver87silver Member Posts: 9
    The problem is low vacuum in the brake booster at initial start-up when the engine is cold. Cold meaning has been sitting for 4 or more hours. It doesn't necessarily mean cold ambient temperature.

If you start the vehicle and the brake pedal is very hard when applying the condition is happening. After 30 seconds or so the brakes go back to normal because the vacuum is built up from the engine running. After that you would not experience it again until the vehicle has been sitting for an extended time.

The issue is addressed in TSB 09-05-22-001, which basically adds a vacuum pump into the system.

Check with a reputable dealer.
    Well thanks for that but mine is not a turbo. This is a consistent problem while driving at most any speed, hot, cold what ever. The problem is worst at about 40 mph. I'm thinking it might be in the steering box or stabilizer link or something. :cry:
    here is the fix for the hard brake pedal on cold startup.contact your chevy dealer and have them look up service bullitin # 09-05-22-001A .Hard brake pedal,extra effort needed to depress brake pedal on cold start-up (add auxillary vacuum pump) Models 2008 2009 Chevy HHR SS with automatic transmission.
  • tpilkonstpilkons Member Posts: 2
    There is a service message on the HHR front rotors, they replace/ turn your rotors and install some kind of heat shield, I had my 2006 done at about 12,000 miles.
  • cam2006cam2006 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 HHR LT and my brakes would vibrate constantly. At the time the car only had 34000 miles. My husband checked the brakes and said they were fine, but we changed them anyway. TWICE. The second time took care of the problem it has been over a year but it hasn't happened again. However I have had PLENTY of other problems. I have the remote start. It quit working so we took it to the chevy dealer while it was still under warranty, they supposedly fixed it and a few weeks later it did it again (this time warranty had expired b/c we went oer 30k). However the chevy dealer we used fixed this without charging us! Image that. Well later both of my key chains have quit working. So now whenever I need to run out to my car I have to pop the key in the ignition. B/c the alarm only disengages if the car ignition is turned on (it doesn't have to turn over) or you use the clicker (which doesn't work despit having new batteries). The door handle broke and had to be replaced, the gear shifter release button broke and had to be replaced. And just yesterday the power steering went out. The car now has 50k. I service it regularly and I am not a rough driver. This car has been the biggest headache ever!
  • chris1221chris1221 Member Posts: 6
    if its pulsating that means its working
    Sorry to hear about your issues. The remotes memory can be erased by cell phones radio waves from what I have read. If you have a cell phone do not carry them closely together such as a pocket/purse.
  • mikeshhrmikeshhr Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 HHR started vibrating at 6000 mile, when returned to the dealer they sadid it was warped rotors, then they said brakes were not covered under warranty, so I had the rotors turned @ 8000 and again @ 20,000, then they said it was tires when I returned with the same problem @ 30, 000 miles after putting up with the noise until 50, 000 miles, putting on new tires and still had the noise, GM told me to take it to a different dealer where they determined it was the rt front hub and the rotors are still bad, GM fixed the hub but not the rotors and they wonder why they are going into chapter 13.
  • hhrprobshhrprobs Member Posts: 13
    lol mines a 2006 and i live in nc and i got all the problems you have and yes its a lemon.I wish i never got one,mine has 29000 on it. its been in the shop 4 times for the same thing.but i hurt for the same problem they will replace it thats a lie. :lemon:
    Actually they are were they are because of the wages, benefits, and the unions ruining what they had. Sure they made some poor decisions but each car costs them something like $4000 in employee benefits/salery.

Chrysler is the one in bankrupsy right now not GM.
  • shopgirl101shopgirl101 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 HHR. At 348 miles my car needed the rotors worked on because of the vibration in the steering wheel. Once again at 18,000 miles exactly one year later I had it back in the shop last week because of the same thing.
    TODAY it is back in the shop because there was a chirping sound that came when I started to break. I just spoke with the service department and they said break dust had built up on the rear brakes....
    I have only had this car for one year and it has been in the shop 3 times for brakes.

This is very disappointing, but I do like my car.
  • ben53ben53 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 GMC Canyon CrewCab 2wheel dr 3.5 and just replaced the two front rotors and pads and went to test them out and my wheel shakes and feeling the brake pedal pulsating... can you all help me pls.
  • cesteelecesteele Member Posts: 1
    I love my car too, we can't get rid of the squeaky breaks!! We have changed the pads twice. The ceramics are not as bad but still squeaky. I see now that I am not alone. Not sure what else to do? :(
  • columbusguycolumbusguy Member Posts: 1
    I'm wondering about the life cycle on 2006 HHR brakes & pad replacement given they now have a $75 coupon good till 8/31/2009...

I had progressive problems with mine vibrating starting @ 6000 miles and I waited longer than I should have. The original dealer dropped off the Chevy Network and I took it to Jack Maxton Chevrolet on SR 161 in Columbus Ohio who fixed it on the 1st time while still under warranty. They turned the rotors etc.
    It was an Excellent choice/ Excellent service experience (FOR ME)
    That's not to say they have covered anything past the 36k drop you on your head deadline...

I've had key fob problems with mine too earl on because the insides get roughed up dropping keys, battery goes weak etc.
    I took my fob to the Battery Plus on N High St across from Graceland Shopping Ctr. in Columbus. They offer a life time replacement on a new battery for added $5 and they fix my fob circuts every time I go back : )

All in all; HHR Is Not my perfect car because;
    I hate the front window switches on the bottom of the dash...
    And I HATE ON and ON and ON That NO Console with The Arm Rests instead design between the front seats.

My Son who sold it to me was more the reason I bought it, but no major issues for mine YET going on 48,000...

I think WHO The Dealer is; and the quality of the service department & ownership etc are all part of the challenge to the outcome.
    But buying new cars is always crap shoot because;
    You NEVER KNOW What You Don't Know.
    However: Am I a really happy camper after reading about you others???
  • craig_finncraig_finn Member Posts: 1
    I haven't had any problems at 75000 miles except the side mirror controller. The gas mileage is great, thus far. I haven't had any brake problems yet, but now that I'm reading, I better put $200 aside for brake and rotor replacements. I expected a few problems. Thank goodness no one is complaning about the engine. I satisfied, so far. :)
    Judi, We have a driving route that takes us up and down a few hills and I have now gotten into the custom of using a lower gear going down long hills. This is after I replaced the brakes and rotors at 35,000 mi.
    Now I have a new clunking sound when I turn left then right quickly, ie: like they do at NASCA to warm up the tires. It sounds differently when the weather is warm, cold is worse (what's with that?) :confuse:
    Wonder what is next.
    Roger
  • judikilbanejudikilbane Member Posts: 9
    Hey Roger!!
    Did you go in for the brake deflector things? This is such baloney--the company line that they aren't aware. Somebody is going to get hurt!! This is basic safety equipment. We are so VERY sorry we bought this car. Ms. Anderson actually told me to save my repair receipts for the rotors and brakes!! So we bailed them out once and now if they finally decide there is a problem they will pay us back. So,in effect, they will have borrowed from us once again. It stinks! by the way...we always have downshifted appropriately. Is the clunking in the steering column ---or rotors? We have to have our steering column pulled and replaced --it makes a whiny noise when turned left. give the nice Ms. Anderson a call and let her know how you feel about the rotor issue(save your receipts!) Judi
    Ok, I just got to ask, how does buying a used HHR help GM? It sounds like maybe you are riding the brakes if you are getting them that hot. Use a lower gear and keep your foot off the brakes. I've had my HHR up and down Pikes Peak twice now and the ranger at the 1/2 way point commented both times how cool my brakes were when he tested that with the heat gauge. Why because I shifted down a gear and a few times 2 gears and used the brakes sparingly.
    No I did not install any additional part. We just use a lower gear when going down long hills.
    We've got everything fixed now. I do all my own work after getting shafted by the local GM dealer on repairs.
    A/C fan speed resistor failed, replacement is easy, buy part on internet for $35. Brakes and rotors replaced, be sure to turn the new rotors they are not true from the factory. Key fob remote failed due to circuit board connection, resolder with small iron. Shift lever and key lock fixed by GM under warrantee at 18 k mi.
    Still waiting to figure out the clunk in the chassis when turning.
  • judikilbanejudikilbane Member Posts: 9
    Hi!
    Thanks for the note. We understood all GM dealerships were trying to move cars.
    My husband is the primary driver of the HHR. Both of us appropriately downshift. Both of us have driven sticks for over --uh,let's see now....about 40 years+..... You must be just one of the lucky ones on this site!! Looking back through the postings...you are sooooo fortunate! All the best in the future ,too!
    Maybe whoever had it before you abused the brakes and you just happen to be in the wrong place at the right time. Now that you have new brakes maybe things will be different. It's hard to blame a company for something when you bought something used. There was a guy on one of the Caddy groups who was a small dealer and bought a CTS with only 100 miles left on the warranty and about 100+ miles after the warranty ran out and something happened he was bad mouthing GM for not building a quality product and not standing behind it when it failed although this was a GMAC lease return and the auction stated these vehicles came as is with no warranty. After while he finally got the point. The point is you never know how a used car was treated unless you personally knew the driver. Good luck down the road as I really like my HHR and prefer driving it to the wifes STS.
  • leef2009leef2009 Member Posts: 1
    Bought the HHR on Dec 4, 2008 with 21,067 miles. Shortly thereafter began noticing a brake problem and vibration. Called the dealer and was told nothing to be alarmed about. On Apr 30, 09, with 32,635 miles got so bad the dealer made good: "Inspected and found both front rotors warped. Replaced front Brake Pads and machined both front rotors per service bulletin." Suppl sheet on invoice states "Important: Please inform the customer that due to the aggressive nature of these new pads, additional brake dust and/or intermittent noise may be generated." Wife, as the principle driver. shortly thereafter experienced slight vibration of steering wheel periodically, and we both could hear a roar of sorts right front when turning sharply to the right . On Aug 19, 09, the dealer charged $24.41 (labor) for: "Has a roaring noise when turning to the right. Test drove and heard a slight roaring noise. Put up on lift and checked all steering and suspension parts. All tight. Could not find the source of noise." Getting worst. Read some of the reviews. Can anyone offer advice? leefields@centurytel.net
  • mmcclurgmmcclurg Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 HHR- auto has had 3 new sets of brake pads. rotors, the whole thing and it only has 50,000 miles on it. Our GM mechanic at our Chevy Dealer said that he works on several HHR's a WEEK and they are "known" to have brake problems. Love the car otherwise it's the best Chevrolet I have ever owned besides the brakes. Never had brake problems with the last five Chev.'s I've owned.
    I think the problem is the supplier for brake pads, Chevy is not getting high quality parts. I bought high quality after market pads and rotors. I had to turn the new rotors, they were not true enough from the factory. I think this solves my problem. In addition we shift down to lower gear when decending long steep grades. We live in the mountians and have lots of hills.
    So far, so good. :)
  • hhrclunkerhhrclunker Member Posts: 1
    I have the same on-going issues. It seems the car is too heavy for such cheap breaks.
    This is just one of many problems I've had, with this car. Sad too, I love the style of it. It makes me want to cry.
    Buy your new rotors and pads from a quality auto parts store ie: NAPA. Get the best rotors and pads they have. Turn the rotors before they are installed and have a good mechanic 0r ( DIY ) install them.
    That is what I did and have had no more problems.
    Stay away from the dealer. :)
  • echomike1ssechomike1ss Member Posts: 1
    My fan speed resistor failed apparently. I checked the fuses and they are all good. I decided to register here and found that the resistor is the problem. I saw that somebody said it was easy to replace. How?

Thanks.
    Do a Google search for hhr parts and order a resistor so you will know what your looking for under the dash. The part is located behind the glove box door which swings down. You will have to remove some trim on the right side in front of the passenger door. The resistor is rather large and has a tab that you pull it out with. I paid about $30 for the part. I would have to go back in my old files to find where I bought it from, but it wasn't hard to find.
  • chevyman54chevyman54 Member Posts: 1
    I have read a lot of General Motors bulletins they know all of the problem with the brakes and rotors since 2006 the problem has been driving their mechanics crazy but because of money problems General Motors seems to like lying to the people buying their cars I have owned my HHR for a little over 11 months General Motors has changed the brakes and rotors three times my car has 37,000 miles on it it is not covered under warranty at this time I purchased the best rotors and breaks I could find staying away from porcelain break pads even General Motors does not recommend them and they come on their own vehicles they have to be preheated before they work properly replacing my rotors and brake pads to drilled rotors and the best brake pads I haven't had any problem with my vehicle and they were cheaper than having a the job done at my local dealer which I will never go back to after seeing the work they have done on my vehicle I cannot believe they get paid the money in hour they do for the type of work they let leave their gorge wake-up General Motors your vehicles already your problem you're mechanics and service managers are
  • balhhrbalhhr Member Posts: 1
    Brakes started squeaking at 12k. Took it to the dealer at 14k and replaced them no questions asked. Then, HHR started a grinding noise at 14k when we turned the car left. Dealer spent a day looking for the problem and pin pointed it to the rear suspension. GM shipped out a new part and dealer replaced at no cost. Other than these 2 problems, the car has been wonderful! Love it love it love it.
  • 88fan188fan1 Member Posts: 3
    I replaced my mastercylinder on my truck, bled the lines and it seemed to do fine. But yesterday my pedal went to the floor and my light came on. I pumped my brakes and everything was fine after that, but the pedal still feels soft. Any suggestions?