Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    As others have already explained, Hyundai is neck and neck with Mazda in the latest dependability study, while both still have a way to go, Hyundai has been the better and much improved automaker. As far as initial quality goes, Hyundai is by far one up on Mazda, according to the latest score, even ahead of Toyota.

My friend has a '98 Sonata with over 120K miles, still drive it very well. And dealers around my area don't drive any of the three, they all have Bimmers, Audis, etc...

And by the way, I have sat and drove the Veracruz, it's a vehicle competitive with the rest of the class.
  • sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    "Initial quality" tests done, rate lots of things based weather it will break or not, and other appearance factors! Like rating brake pad dust as a major rating, etc..
    Your friend is one of the very lucky ones, but I would drive his next to a Camry with the same miles or a Mazda/Honda with the same miles, and see which is holding up better(which I do everyday, and there is a noticeable difference, that's the lucky and the unlucky).
    Veracruz, it probably is a nice Korean car..but can you just guess how much negative equity you would have if something about it does not appeal to you? JD can brag all day, but the market is still the same as far used cars go.
    What's there to compare? No cars are perfect, but some cars are better than others. Admittedly, Toyotas are generally better but doesn't mean they are perfect, and on the other end, Hyundais are vastly improving and far better than the shape you seemed to have generalized.

The industry is recognizing Hyundai's movement so be my guest if you wouldn't drive a Hyundai until 2090. Anyway, let's just move on and get back on topic.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    i was posting to the inclusion of a jeep liberty, which is not a part of this thread. pilot and cx-9 are better.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Remember Post 1 - "With such a big grouping, a little off-topic drift will be tolerated, so don't get too upset if someone tosses an SRX or Edge or similar into the mix."

Many will think a Liberty is similar enough, if a bit smaller, to be cross-shopped too.
    you posted some great pictures of the new cts at the detroit auto show.
    the first picture look a lot like a freestyle. second picture, the interior looks really good. i don't think the freestyle has the folding armrests for the second row. third picture looks pretty good, too. i like the exhaust, but don't like the hatch design(too close to the rear bumper). as with all the cuv's i have looked at, i miss the separate opening rear hatch window.
    you are the host, so you it is up to you what is 'on topic'. to me a liberty belongs with the cr-v/ecape/rav 4.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Many will agree with you too. In any event, I've been waiting for the perfect spot to post this and now that I have the opportunity...

What the Hell Is a Crossover Vehicle?

Carry on. :shades:
  • str8linestr8line Member Posts: 3
    We have 2 kids so space is critical to our family. For pure utility a minivan would be the best choice, however my wife wanted something with more style than a minivan.

After extensive research and many test drives we ordered a loaded Outlook. We mostly cross-shopped it against 3rd row optioned luxury SUV's(X5, Q7, MDX, GL450, LR3, SRX, Tahoe, Expedition, GX470). I was amazed by the utility, driving dynamics, luxury, and overall package of the Outlook(and Acadia). None of the other vehicles came close to offering the user-friendly space and utility in my opinion. It is jam packed with nice touches too(ex: lighting everywhere, vents everywhere, great cupholders, etc. etc.)

I'm a car nut and I've gotta say that I'm proud of the fact that GM has done such a nice job with the Lambda chassis vehicles(Outlook, Acadia, Enclave). I never thought we would chose a GM product over the German offerings but in reality it is nice to support an American company and I am going to make a conscious effort to do it more often with all of my future purchases.

Regarding initial quality and long term reliability, I believe the days of the Japanese having an obvious edge are over. I think the gap is closing quickly between manufacturers and they have pretty much all figured out how to make great products from the get-go.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    My first CX-9 Sport has arrived, and I must say, it is quite nice. The interior is leaps and bounds over the CX-7. I think Mazda went all out to ensure this vehicle will sell and appeal to the masses.
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    In the original post, you didn't say crossover specifically. You said VEHICLE. I didn't want to get off topic, but I proved my point. Be carefu what you say.
    WOO HOO - Stylefree becomes Taurus X - Ford is getting sloppy with its naming system...
  • srangersranger Member Posts: 106
    This might be the strangest thing I have ever hear of a car company doing.

Zepher -> MKZ
    500 -> Tarus
    Montego -> Sable
    FreeStyle -> Tarus X

"If you can't dazzle them with your brilliants, baffle then with your bull sh$#.."
  • soderholmdsoderholmd Member Posts: 47
    This is a great freshining up! More Power - Much more sporty and rugged looks, updated interior..........what's not to like?! :surprise:
    Don't forget Aviator -> MKX
    "what's not to like?"

Name, for starters...
  • freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    showing your or Ford's "brilliants" again?

I can't tell...
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Regarding the front end... well, it definitely looks like it could take on even the toughest beard... :P
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I would tend to agree. I like my FS. It has plenty of power, decent MPG and so far, no problems. The styling could be better and a the antenna should be integrated, but no major issues. But if I had to do it over again, I would have gone with the Santa Fe. The only reason I didn't was the 8K off the MSRP. We live and learn.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I drove several AWD FS's and Ford 500 before I made my choice. It might be due to the way the parts were matched, etc, but every one drove/accelerated differently. The one I got had very good acceleration, especially once you get off the line. I think I lucked out with a drivetrain/engine/CVT combination that works well together, thus tended to run better than the other vehicles I test drove.
    What the? Well the 500 Montego and Freestyle look 100% better. The only problem is they aren't Freestyle 500 and Montego any more. THey are Sable Taurus and X. Why did ford do this new namw are better-especially Montego compared to outdated sable. And Taurus X. SOme one should smack Mulally acrossed the face! Usually when someone in the car biz makes a big move, it's great. Sorry for assuming! Hey atleast the cars look good-though I woun't be choosing MOntego over 300/ Freestyle over Acadia. We'll see.
  • readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    Here it is:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

and,

And here is the interior and side:

By the way, here is the new Toyota Highlander:

They could have named it taurusX4 (in honor of me, of course). How about Taurus STOw? ;)
  • tango_28tango_28 Member Posts: 35
    I like the Taurus X much better than Highlander.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I agree. Edmunds ripped the new Highlander a little bit because they are still using a one-piece third row while everyone else has a 50/50 split third row. That's right along the lines of GM still using a removable third row bench in their large SUVs rather than a fold flat thrird row IMO.
    A poster over at another forum posted his thoughts on the Veracruz:

"I finally got to drive a Veracruz today. First and foremost, wow. I won't go into packaging because it was a prototype and a pretty mish mash of features. However, for a prototype, the fit and finish is exceptional. Just as many previews have stated, the materials are all first class. I tried to find hard plastic and could not. The one I drove did not have the saddle leather however it was Lexus like buttery soft. Decent side bolsters, but not sport car type of course. I found it easy to get comfortable as the thigh support was better than any Hyundai seat I've ever sat in (I'm 6'3). I can comfortably sit in the 3rd row without eating my knees or even touching the 2nd row. There were speakers everywhere.

Driving impressions:

I expected it to drive like a bigger Santa Fe and for the most part I was right. Hyundai found a perfect middle ground between a RX floaty ride and the MDX excessively stiff ride. Imperfections were soaked up without any kickback in the steering wheel. You could here the tires hit a bump but never felt it. Body lean in corners was actually controlled exceptionally well. Didn't see that coming. Very minimal body roll. Steering was well weighted if not a little light on center. I would have liked a little thicker wheel, but it's similar to the Santa Fe's as far as girth goes. The 6-speed is slick as all hell. I was told this was the 3rd programming of shift points and I would say they nailed it. The trip computer said I was getting 24.6 mpg @ 74 which btw came in a hurry. I was initially pissed at the 260+ hp rating, but that combo of tranny and engine makes me forget it real fast. Also, the 6 speed is substantially lighter than the Santa Fe's 5 speed. 1 person can apparently pick it up and carry it whereas no one would want to try that with the 5 speed. Also, it doesn't ever require a tranny flush.

More to come later.
    Cheers"

"One thing that bugged me that never really did in the pictures was the emblem on the nose. It really should have been either floating in the middle of the grill or at the top. It kinda takes away from the symetry of the front where it's located. Then again, some focus group somewhere told them they liked it there I'm sure."

"I would without hesitation put the level of materials and build quality even up with the RX or MDX. It is actually that good."
    considering space efficiency, gm has maybe caught up the the '02 explorer. anything else, forget it. the split 3rd row is an option in the current freestyle.
    The Freestyle (now Taurus X) is an underrated car--hampered by its wagon-like looks, its conservative styling and its formerly weak engine and CVT.
    Otherwise, it was very, very good and should have sold better.

Everything but the wagon-looks have been addressed on the Taurus X (new Freestyle) and I never really cared about that anyways. But that is what will hamper it the most this time around in sales at least.

However, we will have to wait for comparisons.

Nothing--save true minivans--is larger than the Outlook/Acadia/Enclave at this time.
    The new Highlander is not--so we have only the Pilot left to see.

Time and again magazines have stated that.
    Ford has improved some of it's imperfections, though with Taurus X name they are just admitting it's nothing more than a staion wagon! Highlanderlooks way better than outgoing, though front is so gig that it looks like someone took the old one and put Rav4 body kit on it. I can believe that row 3 seating will be much improved, but that not split row 3 bench thing will kill some sales. How can toyota forget something so versatile-so simple yet convinient? Do they want to continue to scar up theyre quality name? I still want to see the Pilot, as ?I know it will be a huge improvement in everyway.
  • force99force99 Member Posts: 13
    Don't forget Aviator -> MKX

??? Aviator was a re-badged Explorer. The MKX is a brand new CUV.
    The Highlander will do just fine. Toyota has a captive audience that only Honda can steal--and Honda has capacity problems for now.

I doubt they will abandon their Toyotas just because the rear seat won't split.
    Besides in this class that is not the worst problem with the Highlander's rear seat.
  • nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    Oh, I did not see the CX9, I saw the *posting* about the 08 changes "a week or two ago" ;)

I would guess I would not be able to tell an CX9 08 from an 07 on the street.
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    Actually I found the Mercedes R-class (203" long) to be much more roomy than the Acadia as far as passenger volume and comfort, but that's a whole different class.

I don't see how the Highlander can compete with these group of vehicles as far as space is concerned. It's even shorter than the Veracruz according to the article I read. Five inches longer than the last model only makes it 189". It's also an 1.5" narrower than anything else.
    "??? Aviator was a re-badged Explorer. The MKX is a brand new CUV. "

I was only talking about the name - Ford scrapped the name Aviator in favor of MKX. This has nothing to do what platform it sits on.

Recall Ford also scapped Zephyr for MKZ, and almost did the same on the Navigator, now the Taurus/Sable movement marches on.
  • practicalpractical Member Posts: 53
    Check out the latest info at toyota.com

One thing very positive, its backup camera is standard on almost all models, and NOT TIED up to Nav.

Other than this, Veraruz will be happier.
    I don't think Ford was off-base by changing the name back to Taurus. If they had come out with some ground breaking design change, which the Five Hundred was not, I can see the need to change the name, but the Five Hundred was so vanilla in every possible way, just like the outgoing Taurus. The Freestyle was alway more of a Five Hundred wagon than it was it's own entity so I don't really think it will hurt sales any by calling it what it is. The new "Taurus X" isa big improvement of the previous year's models IMHO.
    On the merits it may not be able to compete, but that is not what Toyota's buyers are looking for.

(Compare the Civic to the Corolla, for example).
    Toyota could put out a totally uninspired piece of crap, and it would sell like hot cakes. IMHO, Toyota had better watch it though because I think they have hit a crossroads of where quality and quantity meet. I think quantity has won out based on some reviews of recent models' fit, finish, and material quality. The new Highlander is a little small in comparison to its competitors, and I know it won't office much in the way of a price advantage either.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    And let's not forget that Toyota's average owner is getting older (52 yrs old by Toyota's estimate), so if its designs keep getting bland, it'll be in danger of becoming another Buick. But then again, people who own Buicks seem to love them...my dad sure does!
    Buick is actually pretty high in initial quality. The soft, compliant ride is great for those on the interstate alot. The Enclave is a sign they plan to shake it up a little bit though. I love its design.
    Toyota has nothing to fear. Who will pick up the slack?
    Toyota owners will only ever buy Hondas given no other choice, and Honda is in no position to make enough cars for them.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Sure, this new HL will do well with repeat buyers. But with all the new choices coming out, not so sure someone like me who has never bought a Toyota is going to go buy it. And with HL sales going down, they either need Toyota loyalists to trade in their cars for a new HL, or people like me to step into their showrooms and buy this vehicle (and from looking at the pictures, I probably won't).
    There is no way you could look at what Ford is doing with the Taurus X and come not come to one conclusion.

They have listened to the customer - All I have heard since they came out from haters on this board was that they were underpowered and bland looking (subjective to be sure).

Well both of those are now a mute point. This thing is spectacular looking and now has power to burn. It will be roomy, refined, powerful, functional, reliable, SAFE and sporty looking. There will be little to complain about except by those that hate American car manufacturers. What will the haters complain about now........
    They have definitely improved it alot. The profile is still very wagon-ish (which seems not to be a good thing for many in this and other forums), but now that it is the Taurus X, they have branded it more as a wagon (truth in advertising). I don't think there are alot of American car haters in this particular forum. Many have been fans of the GM Lambda platform from the start. That forum has been hopping from the beginning. I definitely will give the Taurus X a shot now, but I still think my favorite is the Hyundai Veracruz.
    I meant in general on Edmunds boards...not necessarily in respect to the people on this specific board....and yes - I am mighty impressed with the Lambda's also ;)
    After sitting inside of the Acadia, I wouldn't doubt it if I like the seating in the Taurus X better.
    I actually think the Outlook has a better looking interior package than the Acadia. I like the exterior better too.

What didnt you like about the interior.

(I may agree with you BTW!)
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    This should come as no surprise...the prez of Ford said it was foolish to drop the Taurus name a month ago...His thinking was pretty simple. The Taurus had a very good sales track record for a number of years...so instead of improving the product and keeping the name. Ford wisdom (which hasnt always been brilliant) said change the name. Could anyone imagine Toyota doing something stupid like re designing the Camry and changing its name? no way. How about Honda coming out with a new mid sized sedan and not calling it the Accord? The 500 should have been the Taurus all along.
    Despite what some posters on here think, the Taurus/Sable was a success for ford and the nameplate still has alot of marketing value.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Sure, the Taurus name has had a lot of street cred for years, but calling something that is not a sedan a "Taurus X" is pretty stupid IMHO.

They may have improved the Freestyle by leaps and bounds, but even now, it's about exciting enough to incite a nap. Blander than a bowl cold oatmeal with a dull Mach 3 razor dumped in it.

Yet, to each his own. Just like the road-wart Explorer, it gets where it needs to go, holds all the people it needs to hold, and I'm sure they'll sell millions. Yawn. Somebody wake me up if Ford actually makes it to 2010.