Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    secretariat73secretariat73 Member Posts: 47
    cyberpirate asked me:
    Steven:

Have decided on the price yet?
    -------------------------------------
    The last one on eBay went for $280. I would probably take less than that from someone here (maybe $200 plus shipping) but I won't object if I get more from the auction!

-Steven-
  • Options
    For those of you who don't want to hunt for the older message, this is an in-dash 6-CD CHANGER that I took out of my '02 Forester - replaced with a Pioneer head unit so I could get satellite radio through it.

-Steven-
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Len,

Great write up and welcome to the family! You're probably one of the first people I know of who's seen a 2003 Legacy GT in person.

The 2003 model has indeed received some changes. The sportshift and VTD are new for the auto tranny. Also, the suspension has been upgraded on both the GT and OB lines. Finally, as you noticeed, there are some cosmetic upgrades as well.

Ken
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If my dealer has one in stock I may try to drive one tonight. I'll be sure to let you know how it compares to the OB I auto-xed last weekend.

-mike
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Hide the women and children! Paisan is going to auto-cross (er, road test) a new 2.5 GT on NY public roads tonight!

Bob
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    At least I fore-warned you!

-mike
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anybody noticed whether the new guy, Charlie, has signed up yet? Any idea Juice?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    subarugirl1subarugirl1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought the 03 Forester. I'm very pleased with it so far, except it's pretty noisy when I accellerate. Is the norm? Also, two days after owning it, my new car got towed in San Francisco (it's a big business out there!). They most likely towed it with the back wheels on the ground and the front wheels suspended. They towed it less than a mile. Still, I'm wondering if this could have caused some damage to the the AWD or anything else. Should I have someone look at it? Thanks, in advance, for your feedback!
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    All full-time 4x4s/AWDs should be towed with all 4 wheels off the ground. Yeah, I'd have it looked at.

Bob
  • Options
    jimbob17jimbob17 Member Posts: 77
    Subarugirl1 I have the 03 Forester manual transmission and its real quiet. I get a little noise in second gear but no more than any other manual tranny I've driven. Fifth gear is real smooth and quiet. I have to ask, why were you towed two days after getting your car? If its none of my business no problem.
  • Options
    ghgemmerghgemmer Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem with my Subaru hood deflector. Subaru replaced it twice under warranty for doing exactly the same thing that yours did (the ends came off the clips and started flapping). The third time I brought it in to have it replaced they offered to refund me the cost of the deflector and I took them up on it. Since then I installed a deflector I found at the website http://www.carbras.com that has been flawless. It is a lower profile deflector than the subaru one but I have never had a problem with it. It wraps under the hood and is stiffer than the subaru deflector. It is also very easy to remove for washing your car.

Greg

• Options
    masanmasan Member Posts: 77
    Any idea what a dealer/auto shop would charge to install the 6 CD changer? I would be interested if the installation cost was reasonable and if I knew for sure that it would fit a '03.

Does it have a weatherband and a cassette player? I assume it would go where the little storage compartment is...the push to open storage compartment under my present radio/CD player.
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    masan-
    If it is the OEM in-dash 6CD changer you query, my guess is that it will fit the '03 Forester. Yes, it has a cassette player. You lose the weatherband and clock if you have them, and that little storage space under your current head unit.

-Dave
  • Options
    maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    Ktliu: Sorry for the late response, work has been hell this week. Uhmmmm...in the 02 the panel surrounding the lighter and ash tray is a seperate unit that just pops out when you pull on it. Don't know how it is on the 03's. I have to stop by my dealer and do a little investigating. Shhh, don't tell the dealer that I am gonna try to take the center counsole apart during the test drive...hahaha!!

Gened1: Glad to be of service. Hope you like what you ordered, I sure did. Just remember the face is an overlay, not a direct replacement, so be careful when taking the OE cluster out, you still need it. The gauge cluster is fairly easy to remove. If you really need detailed instruction, I suggest you go to your local auto parts store and see if you can browse through a late model Legacy (98 is the last year the manual covers) service manuel by Haynes. The instructions for taking the cluster out is pretty similiar to the one for the Forester if not dead on. I have been using mine as a guide to service my 98L. Its better than paying $200 for the factory manual.

On a side note, I was just going through the catalogue of a local perfomance parts store, and it listed a "Carbon Fiber look" Electro-Luminescent guages by Toucan Industries for 97-01 Subarus AT & MT. Tried to get a price but they couldn't give me one cause it was a new product. Those of you intersted, don't bother with the company website, its still under construction, they are redoing it in Flash 5.

Well, good luck to both of you in your installs. keep us updated.

Mike
  • Options
    Well I read about the Grounding mod that WRX owners were doing on their cars over at I-club and thought I would give it a shot. I got the part and did the mod two weeks ago, the results were immediate. My mixed driving mileage went from around 220 miles per fill up to and average of 255 miles per fill up (~10 gallons) and the engine valve chatter at cold start up have dissappeared. (SWEET!!! have been trying to get rid of that for nearly a year now) Other by-the-seat benefits seem to be a quicker throttle response off the line and a smoother power curve. BTW I didn't reset the ECU, unlike othere who have done this. Total cost was around $40, circuit city should have all the parts. you need one Monster mini power splitter, it splits one 4 gauge wire into four 8 guage wires, about 6 feet of 8 guage wire and 1 foot of 4 guage wire, plus O ring type end caps ( the Monster brand ones are kind of on the expensive side at $1.25+ per cap, but they were the only ones I could find) I grounded to 3 points (close to intake manifolds on both sides, and near the alternator). Took about an hour to do, that's with time spent trying to find the best way to run the wires.

Well if any of you want more information you can go to i-club.com and under the Forester forum do a search with the key words "Grounding Mods" there will be more than enough info, or you can just search the entire i-club database, but be warned...a lot of threads to read through if you search the entire database. IIRC there are pictures under the Forester forum that shows the five possible grounding points. Don't do all five at once, start with one or two and see the results, if any, and then go from there.

Mike
  • Options
    mobile_gnomemobile_gnome Member Posts: 1
    After about 2 years of lusting for the Forester I'm finally buying a '03 X model - Silver, with a minimum of options. I'm replacing a '93 Cavalier Wagon, which I always considered to have had good "sporty" handling, and that I drove like a rally car when conditions allowed (I know a few of you are probably chuckling at that...) and I'm expecting the same kind of service out of the Forester.

Besides the merits of the Forester itself, a couple of things strongly influenced my purchase decision. First was the terrific experiences I had with 2 gulf coast area dealers while I've been shopping (Lee in FL and Koby in AL). Second was information that I read right here on the forums. For whatever complaints I've seen here about the Forester and other SoA models, what I learned about the other vehicles I deemed contenders always pushed me back into a Subaru state of mind. (guess we'll know whether that was right in the coming months...)

So now - has anyone taken the plunge and put COBB upgrades on their '03 Forester? I'm interested in getting their Stage1 Power Package, and if/when it becomes available their Stage1 Suspension upgrades.
  • Options
    rsunicorsunico Member Posts: 82
    Check out the Forester in the Philippines.. they have a 2.0 litre engine.. not sure if its a turbo as sold in England (hood has air dam).

Philippines Forester

Philippines WRX

• Options
    rsay777rsay777 Member Posts: 100
    I'm picking up my 03 Forester on 8-2 The sales person says the poly covers on the headlights and fog lights are tough and don't need any additional covers. Any body disagree?

This is my 4th Subaru in 23 years. I'll give my impressions of the Forester after next weekend. The test drive was enough to sell me plus all the info on this forum.
  • Options
    subarugirl1subarugirl1 Member Posts: 2
    I think the noise was just in second gear upon acceleration. I was out on the highway alot this weekend and my Forester 03 was very quiet. I was towed because I had parked in a special event area without realizing it (it wasn't well marked). About 5 cars were towed! It's highly unlikely that they towed it properly. I'm going to call Suburu tomorrow and have them look at it.
  • Options
    rlhermes1rlhermes1 Member Posts: 7
    Greetings,
    I bought a standard mirror to replace the auto-dimming version in my Forester, but it did not come with the mounting pad that sticks to the windshield.

Does the existing pad on my windshield accept both types of mirrors, or will I need to replace it?

Thanks.
  • Options
    mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    Ricardo, Both the Auto-Dimming and Standard mirror use the same mounting tab. With a "new" or replacement mirror you usually replace the spring clip that holds it in place in case the old one is damaged or bent upon replacement. To remove the mirror, turn it 90 degrees (sideways) at the base. then it should release. You should also remove, or tuck back in the headliner, the Autodimming harness from the mirror.
  • Options
    Mike -- I've read a lot about those grounding mods too. Maybe someday when I have time I'll try it too. What year Forester do you own?

rsay777 -- I don't know how much off-road travel you do, but my 98 headlights and foglights have been fine for mostly on-road driving. I'm sure the 2003 will be fine too. If you want some additional protection, I think 3M makes some clear flim that can be applied to the headlights.

Ken
  • Options
    veenya1veenya1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi rlhermes1,

In regards to msg# 7226.

I'm curious about why you got a std mirror to replace the auto-dimmer. What don,t you like about the auto-dimmer. I'm in the market for a new car and was considering the 2003 XS model which I believe has auto-dimmer as std.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The SPG mod sounds like a good idea for anyone having any general ECU issues (hesitation, stalling, pings, etc). For now, I'll pass. I'm getting 25mpg so it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it.

$200 for the 6CD is cheap. Market value is $250 or higher, I paid that much for two different units. The guy who sold me one of them works at Circuit City and said they'd do the install for $75 in labor, plus any parts needed (none should be needed, the harness plugs right in).

It's easy enough that if you feel adventurous, go for it. It's much, much easier than on a Legacy.

-juice
  • Options
    PS Plus consider that the 6CD will add $200 in resale value even 7 years down the road, so really it's costing you next to nothing.
  • Options
    So could I wait for a 2003 WRX unit that would include the weather band? Also, I wouldn't want to lose the clock. Did you mean I would lose the clock under the dash center cubby, or is there another clock?
  • Options
    Has anyone taken the warnings off the visors of a 2003? I'm tempted, but I haven't yet figured out how they're attached.

Right now I'm studying touch up paint techniques and the use of Langka to smooth it out!
  • Options
    I didn't note any real interest for the 6 CD changer here, so I put it up on eBay. It's at $255 with 2 days to go (closes Thursday). I won't advertise the URL here, but any interested parties can search the site.

I would think $75 is a bit high for installation at Circuit City - the replacement head unit cost $91 at CC for me, but that price included almost $40 in parts (harness, replacement sleeve where the CD changer had been) that shouldn't be necessary here. I guess it's just a matter of how much work is involved in removing the center console.

-Steven-
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I just got some myself. Frustrating to use as it puts in swirl marks and, if not done with a delicate touch, it will pull the "blob" out below the level of the chip, requiring additional applications of touch-up paint and a repeat Langka performance.

I'd be interested to see how your efforts turn out!

Ed
  • Options
    I am confused as I thought it came with a cassette player.
  • Options
    So I have to go to Collision City after all just to get a little paint chip taken care of? Aargh!

I will use a delicate touch with the Langka and rub in one direction or back and forth. I had high hopes for this. I even bought the clear coat. Darned rock hit my car!
  • Options
    rlhermes1rlhermes1 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks to McKeown for the descriptive mounting instructions..saved me alot of time figuring it out.

The reason I am replacing it is because it will not 'dim' enough. I had the dealer replace the original one thinking that it was defective.

The compass is a nice feature, but I have never had a need for it in the wild and wooly suburbs of Washington D.C.
  • Options
    I have a 98 L. I did the mod because my mileage was below expectation and I also had some dead spots in the power curve.

Juice raised a good point, the grounding mod is not a performance/power mod. It is purely an attempt to resolve existing issues with the ECU. (it works for some and don't for others) If your car is running fine, such as Juice's, doing the grounding mod ain't gonna get you anywhere or anything. As the old adage goes, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Mike
  • Options
    bluejeanbluejean Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 03XS Premium Silver a month ago. I'm at 2500 miles and enjoying the ride. Thanks to all who gave advice a couple months back about my concerns of double taxation while I'm in the process of moving from VA to FL. It turns out there was nothing to be concerned about. I was led astray by a unclear website. I did wait until I transferred residency to avoid double tag/title fees.

Now my next question: any recommendations for reputable window tinting shops in either the DC metro area or Palm Beach county Florida? Any other advice about tinting? I know there's been lots of discussion before, but I cannot figure out how to search for past postings.
  • Options
    eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    BlueJean - I searched some older threads a few weeks ago about tinting and there are a lot of discussions about them that you may want to look at.

However, the search function doesn't seem to really search right, but I figured out this trick:

On the space in the left column that says "Search Town Hall by keyword. Enter keyword(s)", leave that BLANK and just click the SEARCH button.

Then on the resulting screen, you will notice that it gives you the choice to "Search for messages in Subaru Forester (SUVs Board)." Select that and enter the word "tinting" (or any other words) and you will find a plethora of discussions on the matter.

-Elliot
  • Options
    lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    Elliot..........thanks for the search trick. I had given up on the search function as it never seemed to work. Tried your method...voila!

Kind of a backward way for it to work....but work it does...... THANKS!
  • Options
    burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    There's a brief news item on Subaru's 2003 models and equipment packages at AutoWeek.com. Couldn't post the link here, as it's too darn long. Anyway, the gist was that there's more standard equipment on all models with an average $250 or so increase in base price.

Don't even think it mentioned the Forester, though.

burnsmr4
  • Options
    sjbrodysjbrody Member Posts: 39
    I just replaced my leased 2000 Outback Limited with a 03 Forester XS Premium with MT. The sound system with the tweeter and speaker upgrade is very good and so far I have enjoyed the car very much, but I have one question. Why don't the brake lights stay on while the clutch pedal is held down to activate the Hill-Holder? I would think this would be a safety issue in traffic.

Spencer
  • Options
    abpr1abpr1 Member Posts: 3
    Hey all,

Just wanted to give a collective thanks to the group for all the great info. I've been lurking since the first of the year and just purchased on 03 XS. First 300 miles have been a joy...

Wanted to know if the group had any thoughts on when to change over to synthetic oil? I was digging through old messages, and it looks like a post from the late 90s had a subaru rep suggesting to do the switch at 10K, but other claims for subaru service techs to do it earlier.

wanted to see what the collective widsom is from the group.

happy in austin,
    drew
  • Options
    scottpetescottpete Member Posts: 1
    As a long-time forum "lurker" and happy owner of a 2000 Forester, I want to thank forum members for providing insights that helped me to resolve two nagging issues.

I cured my hatch rattle when I noticed that the spring-loaded "adjuster blocks" on the SIDES of the hatch were filled with road dust - making them inoperative. Cleaning them (without adding any lubricant) cured the hatch rattle.

The valve noise issue was solved by convincing the dealer that the timing belt tensioner could be at fault even though the problem only appeared periodically.

Thanks much.
    Scott Peterson
  • Options
    Congrats to all the new owners. Please stick around and tell us about your new rides, maybe at the chat tonight?

The 6CD player also has a cassette, if it's the one from the WRX you're talking about. I have two of them and should know. :-)

Tint: in MD, you can call New Again, in Silver Spring. I paid $170 for 35% SolarGard dyed film. Metallic film may be more, call to ask.

Go synthetic? You can at 3k if you want. The service reps that came to chat with us one day said to do it sooner rather than later, if you do at all.

-juice
  • Options
    eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    A few years back my 99 Forester's hatch rattled when going over even slightly rough roads. It was under warranty so I had my dealer look at it.

They said this was a common problem and there was a service bulletin that detailed the problem. They said all they do is unbolt and rebolt the hydraulic lift mounts. Apparently, the minute repositioning fixes the problem.

Unfortunately, that's all I know. I don't know if there is a certain position the hatch needs to be in to do this or what, so try this at your own risk.

Elliot
  • Options
    joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    When I bought my new 2001 Forester S I picked up on juice's recommendation of Vinylex, and have been happy to use it on my dash and seating areas.
    It didn't occur to me until last week to use it liberally on the rubber cargo mat. Now the boxes that I load and unload glide in and out sweetly.
  • Options
    rsay777rsay777 Member Posts: 100
    I just put on the first 100 miles on the new 03 Forester X. This is the best out of the 4 Soobs I've had. Smooth is the word. I've only one complaint. The hill holder engages on level ground and will take some getting used to. Embarrassing to kill the engine. My 91 Legacy had HH but only activated on hills. I will report back after my trip from Portland, OR to SLC Utah. Must have the correct diameter mug for the cup holder or it will tip. Air filtration and re-circ keeps the diesel out of my face. I'm not sure I will be able to sleep tonight, just like Christmas in August.
  • Options
    rasy777,

Congrats on your first 100 miles! The 03 Forester looks very nice (haven't driven one yet) and must have more refinement than the previous generation.

I'm curious about the HH, though. How would it being engaged cause you to kill the engine on level ground? I thought it released when letting up the clutch. I'm going to have to try one of those these days!

Ken
  • Options
    goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    800 miles round trip: a jaunt up to Cimarron State Park here in New Mexico.

My wife and I took a trip up to northern NM this week. We have just gotten our Yakima Lockjaw bike rack on the Forester and wanted to try it out. Well, it works! But gas mileage takes a real nose dive! On a stretch of interstate that would normally produce 30 MPG we got a tad over 25 MPG. And we got better gas mileage going from Santa Fe to Taos to Cimarron State Park -- about 28 MPG: probably the slower speeds.

Cimarron: If you love the outdoors and camping, stay the heck out of the state parks in NM. Ick! We usually avoid the state parks here, but Cimarron sounded good: 33,000 acres of wildlife area, a river running through it, trails, biking. False advertising. The trails were awful. The camping was the usual cheek-by-jowl state park claustrophobia producing arrangement. There were maybe 4 or 5 good tent sites (out of over a hundred sites)

However, if you are an RVer, or if you love fishing...run do not walk to Cimarron! The campgrounds are very RV friendly. And we saw lots of people with lots of fish. You can camp within sight of a trout stream/pond/lake and catch fish until your arms are tired. And the area taken as a whole is very spectacular. The Eagle's Nest/Angel Fire valley is fantastic. And you should go to see the Vietnam Vet Memorial nearby.

However...see The Smell Test.

The Smell Test: Our Forester passed the smell test! The smell test? Picture this: you are camping. You hear a sniffing noise, just sniff-sniff...then nothing. The nest morning...muddy paw prints on your nice shiny platinum-silver Forester...bear prints! Bears won't eat what they cannot smell...right? There was a plastic wrap commercial that imparted that bit of wisdom. Well, bears won't break into a vehicle from which they do not smell a delicious odor. So, our nice, well-sealed Forester had intact windows the next morning...having passed the smell test. The camp host told us later that there was a bear popping car windows in the campground (then climbing in and helping itself to the smorgesbord) -- and that we were lucky. Well, on night two of our stay, I woke up just in time to see the bear shambling by our Forester on its way to a pickup truck deeper in the campground, where it would climb into the bed of the truck, pull out a plastic toolbox and chew a hole in it to get at the bread and other vittles inside.
  • Options
    Interesting story. On one trip I took to Yosemite, I had brought along a Cheese Board pizza (for those of you who aren't familiar with the Berkeley area, The Cheese Board is an awesome bread & cheese store that makes some of the best pizza in the Bay Area). When I arrived at Yosemite, the smell of garlic and cheese had pretty much permeated every inch of my Forester cabin.

Given that it was peak bear season, I rolled down the windows and drove around for an hour to air out the smell. I was quite relieved to find my Forester intact the next morning.

Locals in the Sierras often put some Pine Sol or ammonia in their food trash to deter bears. I wonder if a dab of Pine Sol on the exterior windows would do the same for a car!

Ken
  • Options
    subasuba Member Posts: 12
  • Options
    subasuba Member Posts: 12
    Sorry for the doublemess.
    When I set the altitude at my house, 100feet, I can't understand the - + that occurs as I drive away. Is this the relative height difference from where I am at that instant compared with my original 100 feet? The barometer seems to have a life of its own and records the various pressures as I drive along. I have a copy of a manual that I eventually found for this gauge pack but I need some one to put it to me in English.
    Thanks in advance.
    Walter
  • Options
    goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    The final MPG for our 800 mile trip upstate to Cimarron is 27 mpg. We had two bikes in a Yakima Lockjaw rack on top of the Forester, we never exceeded 67 mph, it was on Interstate or Federal Routes or good State Roads and was a mix of hills and fairly level ground, with the exception of having to cut across Santa Fe on US 84/US 285 which is god-awful traffic for about one-half hour. Excellent mileage considering that the EPA highway figure is 27 for a manual transmission and we had two upright bikes on top of the car grabbing air.
This discussion has been closed.