Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• chuckhoychuckhoy Member Posts: 420
    No. There is no center console running the length of the car. We mostly got that option because the sliding seat mechanism for getting to the rear, while providing lots of space to get back there, is extremely difficult for small children to operate. I am glad we went the way we did.

3 adults in the back row? Not unless they are extremely small (anorexic even) or the ride is short. We almost never are travelling long distances without children so it is not an issue for us. If you want to haul around 7 adults all the time, get a minivan or gigantic SUV.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Some can even haul 8. :shades:
    Some vans can even haul 12. :P Not that I would ever buy one.
  • nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    Can minivans really haul 8 adults?

3d row hiproom on the Odyssey is 48.5. On the Sienna is a commendable 51.8, but while I am seated, my hip is 20 inches wide, and at 170 lbs I am on the thin side of the hips.

There is no way three of me :-) could sit in 3rd row of a Sienna, even on a short trip.

:D

Just kidding.

Let's call it 7 adults and one kid. ;)
    Hmm, are you sure you need 20"?

I did a quick measure while seated at my desk, and I'm only occupying 17" in width, and I'm 205 lbs!

You must be the world Glutes champion or something! :D

My shoulders are wider, but there's a lot of extra shoulder room available, much more than 52".
    205lbs and 17" in width? You are the the real deal for airline coach class then :-)

Maybe I am not 20" wide at the hips, but again, 3 of me could not fit in that space...although 3 of you could :-)
  • kbedwardskbedwards Member Posts: 41
    "If you can EASILY get to the 3rd row in one of these new CUVs while two carseats are LATCH'ed in at either end of the second row then I might be sold on one."

I will try it tonight and let you know. I can tell you now, it won't be EASY, but definitely doable for any able bodied adult, and certainly not impossible.

As I mentioned (was it on this board?), I witnessed a full size adult get back there with a regular carseat on one side of the 2nd row, and just the base of an infant seat on the other side. He had no problems.

Obviously when you have the seats in like that, you can't push the 2nd row as far forward as you would normally, so it makes it harder, but still very doable. I will put the infant seat into the base tonight and try it myself to see how hard/easy it is.
    I measured the width of the seat that I am occupying. Not a circle around my waist.

But if you put 3 of me side by side, 17" of seat space is enough. So actually 3 of me would fit.

All we need is to clone me twice to test that theory. :D

Honda's is more narrow there because the spare tire goes there, Toyota puts it under the van so there's much more width for passengers.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I understand completely what Nastacio is saying about the "hard look" of the dashboards in some of these crossovers. For instance, the
    Veracruz, while very nice looking in the interior, I found the exact same thing, that the dashboard and surrounding leather had a harsh look as opposed to, say, Lexus's dashboard. I haven't really studied the dash
    area too closely on the Lambdas, so I can't comment on those.
    Here's my take on which of the three Lambdas has the best look, both exterior and interior-wise. By my order of preference, I'll say the
    Acadia edges out the Saturn just a little bit, because although I think the Saturn has a better-looking exterior, the Acadia has a nicer-looking interior. The Enclave, while having a nice interior, I really don't care much for the exterior look on the Enclave.
    Just my two cents!
    It's true the RX is a cushy ride, although maybe not as smooth as an ES, although I test drove the IS, the ES and the RX and chose the RX because I liked the ride better. But I must say I really do like this car. To me, the
    interior is pretty much close to sumptuous! Even thinking of buying it once the lease is up!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's my take on which of the three Lambdas has the best look

Sounds like there's going to be a fourth Lambda crossover in a year:

IL Exclusive: Chevrolet's Future People Movers

• freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    "All we need is to clone me twice to test that theory"

is the world ready for that, edmunds will have to pay for 2 times more bandwidth...LOL
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    3d row hiproom on the Odyssey is 48.5
    Wow, really? I think the lambdas are wider than that.

I think magazines have pics of 3 testers in the third row of minivans and SUVs, so it's possible, but I won't begoing back there with two other adults.
    Oh, I like the Acadia exterior better, and under a little fake wood here and there (Acadia has none), and different dash colors, there are exactly the same. I just think that some people find the interior look of the Outlook more upscale, the Acadia more rugged.

But that's not my point.I'm saying that the Outlook would have the greatest chance of all three for being picked by Motortrend because it is the least expensive, yet the best value (before non bargain pricing is factored in).

It would also have a better chance of winning the award because it has some of the components the Acadia didn't have that caused it to lose to the CX-9, like a better price, and a slightly better 0-60 time.

I'm not going to lie- I'm not obsessed with this vehicle, but I will be disapointed if MT gives SUV of the Year to another vehicle, because nothing else impresses me like this does
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    I was pleasantly surprised by the new 6 speed auto and engine. Found the shifting and acceleration quite smooth and the drive seemed more quiet than the Freestyle had been. The handling also seemed a little tighter, but that might be a result of the bigger rims and lower profile tires alone.
    Still don't know why this isn't a more popular vehicle. Find the interior works very well for us and both DW and I prefer the look of a traditional wagon. Based on sales and opinions, seems we're a minority. Maybe it's poor marketing on Ford's part. We think they should go for the retro-cool approach and add wood panelling on the sides and market it as the 70's wagon of the new millennium. The Brady Bunch never had it so good!
    If you option an Outlook with the same equipment as an Enclave, they cost just the same. The only price advantage for the Outlook is that you can buy it without the options (HID, power rear gate, etc) that are standard on the Enclave.
    Maybe it's poor marketing on Ford's part.

Haven't seen it advertised ONCE. And it's a new vehicle (sort of)!

With the popularity of the vehicle, it's probably that the styling is so contriversal. Ford needs to take a play from Hyundai's book and just copy Lexus. Ford decided to be original, copying isn't good, blah blah blah- Lexus sells. And there are some brands that don't have to copy because they get the styling game. Ford doesn't.
    Not sure I agree with that statement. I remember building one on the site (2wd)with heated leather, captains chairs and (I think) a DVD player. It came out to around 32g. That's the base price of the Enclave. I'll check that.
  • rockfish1rockfish1 Member Posts: 113
    Steve, I believe your picture is the Uplander. :confuse: IL pictures on the Chevy Traverse still have covers.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good catch - I skimmed the photo caption too fast:

"Inside Line has learned that Chevrolet will phase out the Uplander (pictured) next year."

Here's the cover shot. :shades:

Steve, I believe your picture is the Uplander. IL pictures on the Chevy Traverse still have covers

Yes, but his point is that the Uplander will be phased put when the Traverse arrives (actually more like wiped out as this is its last year). He probably could have put a pic of an Equinox on there too.

But why does the Equinox get a third row, or bigger size, when they are getting a lambda?

And I'm not sure about this whole Chevy lambda thing. I mean, I know this is One of GM's best vehicles in years being cloned, but you know what they say about too much of a good thing...
  • Controversial? Hardly. It strikes too many people as backward and boring. Ford copied itself and ended up with a vehicle that would be right at home in the 1990s.

Meanwhile, it is a good vehicle and a good buy for those who don't need to drive an "image."
    You are reaffirming the point; one can have an Outlook with less equipment and for less money. If you want the *same* level of equipment, you pretty much have to check all boxes for the Outlook and it will cost the same money.

Add to it the no-haggle policy from Saturn and a few months from now, they will actually cost more.
    Rebates and such will probably keep the prices more or less in line.
    The Taurus got significant mechanical changes in the way the engine and subframes are mounted to the chassis, so vibration and handling are significantly improved. Not sure the Taurus X got the same modifications.
    No No No,you can't get all wheel drive, heated leather and a DVD player on an base Enclave.

If you could find '07s on the lot, dealers would probably let you have a little bit of bargain space on the Outlook. But you can't. And for now you won't be paying a cheaper price for the Buick, because you can't find any of those on lots either (well there will be one or two, but they never have a stock of them).

And you have to a dealer to get a price because they never advertise prices for these vehicles in the paper- never.
    Oh well- curse for us, gift for GM.
    No No No,you can't get all wheel drive, heated leather and a DVD player on an base Enclave.

My mistake for not being clear; I was referring to an XR vs. CXL comparison.

08' Outlooks have a $500 discount on them right now, but when the newness wears off from the Enclave, either Saturn goes deeper into factory-discount territory, or they will cost the same.
    At least I try to be informative and helpful in my posts, unlike a certain person who wastes bandwidth on sarcasm and insults.

I'll correct something you wrote a while back:

FWIW - FS can tow 2k lbs

Actually we need to add an asterix to the end of that statement, because that applies only if your trailer has trailer brakes.

The limit for an unbraked trailer is actually 1000 lbs.

This is fairly common practice, in fact GM has the same restriction.

The issue here is that most light duty trailers do not have brakes, so the 1000 lbs weight limit often applies.
    I don't know where the whole towing capacity comment came from, that certain person's comment seemed humorous rather than insulting.

Anyway, now edmunds will need to double its bandwidth allotment. :-)
    forty eight thousand, one hundred and forty seven

(48,147) for your posts and counting "juice"

that's not "trying" that's a cryout for a call to a 12 step program...kidding yet again...

I guess the "LOL" wasn't enough of a clue that I was trying to make a funny in light of the idea of cloning you and what that would mean to that overwhelming statistic.

And as for my comment that the FS can tow 2k/lbs, it still can and thanks for the fine print.
    Don't make me come over there you two. ;)
    aww, come on it's a slow day and the daughter's napping...
    I have a name nastacio other than a "certain person", you can use it in vain and at other times, it's OK...LOL
    Who cares about post count? I try to be helpful whenever and wherever I can.

Your last 3 posts were pointless and help nobody.

Smarter folks will note the irony of your accusation that I waste bandwidth. :P
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I'll correct something you wrote a while back:

FWIW - FS can tow 2k lbs

Actually we need to add an asterix to the end of that statement, because that applies only if your trailer has trailer brakes.

The limit for an unbraked trailer is actually 1000 lbs. "

And I'll update it for the latest car!

The Ford website lists 3500 lbs as the max tow weight for the Edge; since they have the same engine I suppose that would also apply to the Taurus X.
    http://www.motivemag.com/pub/news/Tokyo_Preview_Subaru_Stella_Revesta.shtml

check it out, low weight, great mileage, looks, hmmmm, looks, I don't think they will bring them here...can't tell if it has 3 rows of seating or just 2...LOL

would have been a better april fool's post...but its october and it'll just have to do
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTO-ENG-GETS-60-80-MPG-NO-SMOG-VAPOR-JET-CARBURE- TOR_W0QQitemZ120170239341QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120170239341

for one of the big 3 to make huge strides in the mpg race in their respective CUV's, sound's like a bargain.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The Ford website lists 3500 lbs as the max tow weight for the Edge; since they have the same engine I suppose that would also apply to the Taurus X.

It may have to do with suspension tuning and strength of the frame and not just engine power. I would be reluctant to assume that before I tried it.
    I have a name nastacio other than a "certain person", you can use it in vain and at other times, it's OK...LOL

We are both failing at punctuation, as I should have added quotes around "certain person" to indicate quotation of the poster's words, and you should have added a couple of commas to yours, lest people think you have a name nastacio :-)

I prefer to refer to you as "the one we don't speak of" or something like it :-)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I will turn this car(space) right around if you don't settle down! :)
    I try to be helpful EVERYWHERE I can...

I can accept that. Can we move on now, for the thread's sake?

The Subaru Stella won't make it here, just like the Suzuki Wagon R never made it here. It's meant for Tokyo and makes a lot more sense there.

It was blogged about back in June here on Edmunds:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/?14@@/Straightline/1133

It's a tiny 4 seater, 660cc engine and a CVT, FWD or AWD. You're a big fan of CVTs and favor fuel efficiency, right? Maybe you should write Subaru a letter! :D
    0 bids, hmmm...., I wonder why.
    Aren't you interested in the car? Fuel efficient, CVT, sounds like it has the things you want, and there's only 3 of you, right?

Write a letter to Subaru. ;)
    no place for grandparents...or kid stuff for that matter, I've seen stroller's bigger than the whole car.

I think they'd have a market for them at toys r us is they came in pink and blue and were marketed by little tykes.
    Bummer, it is only a 4 seater.

Sadly there just isn't much demand for city cars here. Photos don't show the scale but it's diminuitive.
    I think this photo is to scale. ;)

The R2 is on the right. Hopefully they come out with a model that is a diesel 2 cylinder boxer, then they can call it the R2D2.
    MMKAY, let's just continue talking about nothing.

Gosh, that Subie looks like something Minis call short stuff- and Civics eat for breakfast!
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "for one of the big 3 to make huge strides in the mpg race in their respective CUV's, sound's like a bargain."

Yeah, someone named "slygold" who registered with ebay yesterday. Makes me wonder if he is located in Nigeria.

I don't know why people put up this sort of thing, since the transaction obviously wouldn't go through anyway.

Sounds a lot like the 150 MPG carb that was rumored in 1972...

My favorite - it runs on water! Wow, what will they think of next.