Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I want to see someone load the small SUV with 3 kids and go to the beach.

My wife's sister and her husband have been taking their 3 little girls to the beach (the closest probably being Ocean City MD which is 6 hours away and the farthest they've gone is the OBX in NC which is about an 11 hour drive) every year, sometimes twice, in their 2001 Honda CR-V. They squeeze the girls in row 2 with some food, drink, and an old VCR/TV at their feet and the rest of their beach gear goes in the back. Most of the time what they can't fit inside goes in a soft waterproof roof carrier.

I don't understand why they do it and I know that I would never ever do it myself. But they do do it and it can be done in relative comfort. That being said, they are purchasing a used minivan this month because the girls are getting older and now their friends want to go places with them too. That's the one thing that small SUV of theirs cannot do no matter what. Only 5 seat belts, so only 5 people can ride along.

We dumped our small SUV after kid #2 because we felt it was too small for the 4 of us. I'd imagine most people do the same thing and my in-laws are an exception to the rule.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    can we rotate

Sure - but the Vue was already in the list. :shades:
  • scott613scott613 Member Posts: 14
    What is your average speed per your DIC?
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    New Forester and OB could be included in that list, with AWD and very good cargo and passenger room. I'd take the back seat of the new Forester over the A6 I suffered in for an afternoon. Driver's seat? No question, I'd take the A6 over the cloth Forester (only model available to test drive here) though.
    We only get 9 categories so we put the Forester in there. One per manufacturer seems fair enough.

Or we could remove the Forester and Outlander entirely in view of the ... shall we say, vigorous posting the last few weeks in that comparison topic. It's even bled over to the AWD/4WD board. :P

Maybe we'll switch out the CR-V for the Santa Fe since it's not getting much mention. And no one is shopping the Journey with the gas card?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Oops. I was in a hurry when I wrote it. :)
  • vad1819vad1819 Member Posts: 309
    What is your average speed per your DIC?

From home to work and back about 30 mph. I'm only 11 miles away from my office, but I have very heavy traffic in morning. The half way speed limit 35 and other half 55 mph, but that the last half traffic is moving 5-20 mph with the traffic lights also.
    So the winter time was about 16 mpg, but now about 18 mpg . So it's not bad for 5000 lbs truck. I'm happy, so many people bought it.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    You're right in that if your small SUV doesn't work, then a minvan will give you the most interior space. If I had 3 kids that's what I'd drive anyway.

On the other hand, if it's only one or two long trips per year, then you could just rent a minivan for those one or two trips and keep the current smaller vehicle for the rest of the year. To me it seems silly to buy $10,000 more vehicle than you need in a vehicle that gets poor MPG just to be a little more comfortable the one or two times a year when you need the capability. Just rent for those one or two times. You'll save both money and excessive miles on your vehicle.
    I don't know if they count, but if you don't need AWD, the Mazda 5 and Kia Rondo both offer decent MPG, low price, a good amount of cargo space behind the 2nd row and both come with a 3rd row.
    When I was on cross road to buy van or car capable to care more then 5 people, I thought first to buy van, then after having in rent for couple days turn it down this idea. So the Acadia was good choice none-van car, because i can alternate the cars everyday driving. I'm not going to drive the van to work. The van is 100% wifes/moms car. But I reminded everyone here, it's just my opinion, so don't ........me
    But a big minivan or big CUV are in the same category...big. My point was that if you only need something that big once or twice a year, just buy something small to save money in the initial purchase price, save money on gas for the day to day driving, and keep the miles low by using a rental for the one or two long road trips per year when you really need something big.

Or have one big and one small car. If a person already has a minivan, then what's the point of having a big 3 row CUV. The minivan is already there for when you need. Or if a persons made daily need is to carpool kids, then get a Kia Rondo or Mazda 5 and then rent a big CUV or minivan for the once a year road trips.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    skeleton just got an 09 Forester and got 31.5 mpg on a trip. Not bad.

I'm not cancelling my order. :P
    I was about to buy Mazda 5, but it looks very small, then again the payment was almost same as for Acadia. I got good deal for Acadia. I agree why in world do you need van/and SUV if you have already one of those. I like wagons.
  • mattandimattandi Member Posts: 588
    This is sort of the point we arrived at. We carry five on a regular basis, ferrying kids mostly. We looked at vans, even though my wife really doesn't like them very much. Just doesn't care for the look of a box on wheels. I grew up in SUV's and like them, but she doesn't care for how they drive.

After driving a few, she asked "Do we really need to carry around all that space all the time?" The obvious answer was no.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Our thinking is coming around to that as well. We have a 2000 Odyssey that we'll be trading in the next year or so. We have been considering the Pilot, CX9, Tribeca but have decided that we don't fully use the space regularly. A CRV, Forester, Escape will do the trick. We can buy a small trailer for camping and home repair trips and rent a van if we really need it for anything.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    My father in law traded in his 07 CX-7 and went back to the Forester due to fuel economy. I got him the Forester X Premium in red pearl and the black interior. Loves the FE, but really does miss his CX. The CX was really a tech loaded car, and the Forester he got just does not have the features he got accustomed to (Nav, smart key, Bose Audio, climate control, and over all drivability) He did it because the fuel was killing him, and he also didn't want to really spend much out of pocket to get the Forester.

I will say, the new Forester is a pretty car. The red pearl is really really nice.
    Tell him congrats.

Why not the LL Bean w/Navi?

He could have at least kept the Nav, an upgraded stereo, and climate control.

It's not a turbo, but it still performs OK.

Are you in a PZEV state? Those make 175hp, rather than the 170hp for non-PZEV models.

I liked the red but my wife thought it would get her more speeding tickets.
    A Mazda 5 payment similar to an Acadia payment? They are $12k-$15k apart, depending on model!
    Crazy.

You can get a Mazda 5 well equipped, with NAV even, for about $20-21k.

Base models are about half what the average Acadia costs.
    How about 4 years smartbuy just over $300 per month.
    Ah, the lease. $249 a month currently for a Mazda 5, per Mazda's website.

I wouldn't lease, personally, as I put too many miles on a car (I put about 20,000 a year), and would like to have some time without car payments to save up for a down payment on my next one; that's a story for a different forum though.
    fitzmall.com has one at a no-haggle price of $18,904. They top out around $21k.

The same exact dealership has Acadias starting at $41,076.

I'm sure the Acadia is loaded but you get the idea. You could buy 2 Mazda5s, or one Mazda10. :D
    Ah, the lease. $249 a month currently for a Mazda 5, per Mazda's website.

We have ours advertised at $199/mo.

Remember last month, when Mazda was running their "5 to drive" sales event. There were 5 Mazda's, including the Mazda5, that you can lease for $199/mo.
    That's a great deal on a neat car.

I wish Honda would bring the Stream (Latitude) to the US already.
    He did not want to spend much out of pocket, plus, there are hardly any LL Bean models out yet.

CT is a CA emission state now (PZEV), so, that's what he has. I am awaiting his FE report. I know he will be calculating it. According to the on board fuel calculator, he was getting 29mpg highway. He will do it the good 'ol fashioned way, his own calculator.

Two other things he really misses, first his Smart Key. He now does not like the fact that he actually has to take out his keys to unlock his car, get in and start it. And the Subaru remote start has no where near the range that the Mazda unit had. He likes to park his car in Siberia, so no one will hit it. Mazda's remote start worked at over 1/4 mile away. The Subi's works at around 100 ft. Call him picky if you want, he calls himself "spoiled" by what the CX had.
    No, I understand. You have a feature and get used to it, then suddenly you "need" it.

I had trouble finding an LL Bean as well, so I had to order it and wait. :(
    It really is. The 08 Mazda5's have really picked up steam and have sold really well. Most dealers have 15-20 day supply of Mazda5's, if that. I can honestly say, us dealers did not expect that.
    Very true. It's very close to "buyers remorse". I keep reminding him that this was about FE all along. If that was his main goal, he certainly achieved it. If gas was $3.00 or under / gal, this transaction would have never taken place.
    I bet they really have; people wanting occasional third row abilities but realizing the Yukon XL isn't necessary can drop to a minivan, or a Mazda5/Kia Rondo if they don't want economy of a big V6 (which all minivans have now).

Hey HOST,

Are these things on topic? I'm thinking they really aren't, although they seem to cross van and car.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    And the Subaru remote start has no where near the range that the Mazda unit had. He likes to park his car in Siberia, so no one will hit it. Mazda's remote start worked at over 1/4 mile away. The Subi's works at around 100 ft.

Tell him to put the remote under his chin, open his mouth and then hit the buttons - it works and will extend the range of the remote.
    Is that anything similar to transmitting a keyless remote signal through the cell phone? lol
    They should market it more. I don't recall the last advertisment I saw for the Mazda5, TV or print.

Demand is stronger than supply - the industry ideal is 60 days supply, so they can't keep those in stock it seems.
    I think the Mazda5 size rigs are topical although some may even think they are just wagons.

hmmm, I just opened my mouth, put my key fob under my chin and pressed the button, and my neighbor's garage door opener just burst into flames. What's up with that? :D
    What have you been eating man!!!!
    How about 4 years smartbuy just over $300 per month.

Where on earth did you get that number? When I calculate the SmartBuy on a base 2008 Acadia FWD SLE with $2000 down the lowest payment I can see in my area is a 48 month plan for $407 per month. The balloon payment at the end of the SmartBuy is $15,854 for that one.

Grad,
    Read the SmartBuy guide below. It is not the same as a lease although it can be similar. Personally I'd stay away from those. If you really want to own the vehicle then just buy it out right and save a few thousand dollars. If you want to lease it then just lease it and save money again. The lease payments for my example above were acutally $10-$20 lower per month across the board and you don't have to do anything but turn the vehicle in at the end. No trying to sell it off, make a balloon payment, or pay a "disposal" fee to get out of the contract. I don't see where this is better for the shopper when all it seems to do is cost more with no added benefit over the traditional lease or buy.

SmartBuy Guide
    That's more than double the lease payment on the '5.
    hmmm, I just opened my mouth, put my key fob under my chin and pressed the button, and my neighbor's garage door opener just burst into flames. What's up with that?

I literally laughed out loud. Thanks. ;):D
  • budibudi Member Posts: 41
    You can do that type of loading three kids in a small SUV if the kids are not in car seats. Car seats especially the Britax convertible models take up a lot of real estate.
    Age of children make a huge difference between being able to take an economical sedan or a minivan/SUV/CUV.
    You can do that type of loading three kids in a small SUV if the kids are not in car seats.

Like I said, I see it all the time. My wife's sister and her husband (my SIL and BIL) have been doing it for the last 4.75 years now. The oldest is now 9 and no longer in a car seat but the other 2 are 4 and 6 and are both in booster seats. When #3 was born though only the oldest was in a booster and the other two, being a year apart, were in full sized seats. So yes, it was worse a few years ago than it is now.

Regardless, they just bought a used 2007 T&C with 7500 miles for $19,500. The pain is over finally. And by pain I mean the pain I experienced every time I saw them spend roughly 10 minutes squeezing into that CR-V. :surprise:
    That's more than double the lease payment on the '5.

In real math, yes. Vad math would tell us that the Acadia is less $$ per month, right? :P
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    did you post that cr-v comment anywhere else? ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Yes I agree. I have put down some money in the way by trading my old Acura TL. So at the end good payments (affordable, $355) for big car. I have no plans to make last payment, I will return that one for some newer model. The dealer ship is always need to move new cars more then used one. So I don't know how you're guys look at the smartbuy, but I think it a good offer from GM. The lease can expensive too, insurance and tax, and dealership sign fees. The more important, how much this car will worth after 4 years, it's gamble.
    Yes I agree. I have put down some money in the way by trading my old Acura TL.

You would've done the same for a Mazda 5, making your payments even less than the $199-$249 currently available. I like how "just over $300" is actually closer to $400.

Do you sell cars too? ;) I would quit coming back to your posts and replying if you didn't say such outlandish things (A Mazda5 is comparable in price to an Acadia = Outlandish).

Just kidding about the car sales comment, avi. ;)
    did you post that cr-v comment anywhere else?

I am definitely NOT opening that can of worms over there. That thread has been nice and quiet as of late. ;)
    You would've done the same for a Mazda 5, making your payments even less than the $199-$249 currently available. I like how "just over $300" is actually closer to $400.

It's also interesting how the trade-in was not mentioned when the price was quoted. Not everyone has a trade-in when they go to buy a new vehicle.

We all appreciate a good prices paid story but the truth is always in the details when stating the bottom line. Leaving those details out just confuses people. If someone went to a GMC dealer asking for the "just over $300 per month deal" on a new Acadia then they probably got laughed at by every employee there.
    Depending upon the age of the TL, you may have been able to drive off in a brand new Mazda5 with no car payment at all. :shades:
  • knr5knr5 Member Posts: 85
    I am sorry if this is not the correct discussion forum for this question, but I did not find a suitable one!:)

My wife has a 2002 Outback. It is getting to be time for her to think of replacing her wagon with another SUV/Wagon/Crossover. We are looking for AWD, MT, and kind of all-purpose vehicle. The Forester (2009) and the Outback come readily to mind. Any thoughts on which is better? Are there others out there that we should seriously consider? Your opinions are much appreciated.
    what did they give you for your acura tl? what was the year and mileage. Are there any mileage restrictions on the smartbuy program?
    I didn't realize the retuned engine and new 5-speed Auto had improved its mileage so significantly. 21/27 for the automatic, 22/28 for the manual, vs 19/24, 19/25 for the 2007 model. That bump is enough to warrant a second look by some people, but Mazda doesn't advertise this car well, so I doubt anybody knows. I sure didn't until reading an MSN article today. In comparison, the I4 Kia Rondo is rated 19/24, while the V6 Rondo is rated 18/24.

Compared with other midsize vehicles which seat 5 (or 7 in rare cases here), the Mazda is very competitive with mileage, although there is no AWD or V6 option. I'll use only Automatic models, to be fair, but since no others offer a mini-minivan, I'll use 2WD CUVs, with the smallest engines, if possible. Hybrid models cost more than a Mazda5, so I won't compare those either.

MAZDA5 - 21/27
    Ford Escape (2.3L) - 20/26
    Honda CR-V - 20/27
    Hyundai Santa Fe (2.7L) - 18/24
    Hyundai Tuscon (2.0L) - 19/25
    Jeep Patriot/Compass (2.0L, 2.4L) - 23/27, 21/25
    Mitsubishi Outlander (2.4L) - 20/25
    Nissan Rogue - 22/27
    Pontiac Torrent (Also Chevy Equinox) - 17/24
    Saturn Vue (2.4L) - 19/26
    Scion xB - 22/28
    Subaru Forester - 20/26**
    Suzuki Grand Vitara - 17/22
    Toyota RAV4 (2.4L) - 21/27

**The Subaru is only available with AWD

The only model that could match the Mazda's seating and economy would be the RAV4 2.4L with the optional 3rd Row.

EDIT: Added Subaru Forester
    You must be happy with the 2002 if you're thinking about a repeat purchase, so I'll focus on the differences I've noticed.

The Outback is a bit nicer, with things like a padded headliner and nicer carpeting. You can get a twin moonroof, and the doors are still frameless. The turbo gets a little more boost so it makes more power, but at higher rpm.

The Forester is lighter and shorter, so it feels a bit more tossable. It has more ground clearance and better approach and departure angles. The moonroof is one single huge glass pane, and it now has door frames.

Drive them both. You sit a little higher in the Forester and it's a bit smaller on the outside, but inside the amount of space is similar. In the cargo area, the Outback's is longer but the Forester's is taller, so consider what you carry.

I prefer the Forester. We owned a 98 and I still miss it. We needed more space (lots more) so we got a Minivan.

The wife still drives an 02 Legacy, similar to your Outback, and she now wants a Forester, so we ordered one.

We've owned both, and both of us prefer the new Forester, FWIW.