Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Impressive improvement, wow. +3mpg on both cycles for the MT5? :surprise:

To be honest the old one already got much better than the EPA figures suggested, from what owners reported here in the forums.

I would add the Forester to your list, which gets 20/26 even with AWD.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I thought the bump was worth noting as well. I completely forgot the Forester. It got lost in the mix with Saab, Scion, and all the other esses on the list at www.Fueleconomy.gov .
    Did they tweak the engine as well?

aviboy: any more info?

Hard to believe a trans alone would yield that kind of improvement.
    Did they tweak the engine as well?

MSN reports "engine retuned" for 2008.

Mazda5 (base price: $18,630): 21/27 mpg (city/highway)

Most minivans are maxi in size, but the Mazda5 deserves the name. It's the only European-style compact van sold in America, with zippy handling and room for six adults. When the Mazda5 was first released, its fuel economy was disappointing, barely better than full-size minivans. For 2008, however, a new five-speed automatic transmission and retuned engine significantly boost the 5's mileage. That makes this ultra-affordable hauler worth another look, especially for families on a budget.

- per MSN
    Thanks.

I would have taken another look at it, but I still think I needed more space at the time.

Still, I'm sure it will help sales with prices for oil now.
    If you have a short family (Mom and dad both under 6 ft, kids under 5 ft) this car is great.
    Yeah, we looked at it.

Mileage was one thing that didn't necessarily turn me off, but didn't draw me to it, either.

The issue I had was all 3 rows are coach seating, i.e. all are tight if you use all 3 rows.

I also didn't like that they don't bring AWD to the USA, no power sliding doors, no 2nd row bench (for 5 passengers with leg room), plus I didn't like the arm rest for the driver.

I drove one at Mazda's Zoom Zoom Live event and it was actually very fun to drive. It's small and light enough to feel more like the Mazda3 it's based on than an SUV.
    The issue I had was all 3 rows are coach seating, i.e. all are tight if you use all 3 rows.

Trust me, at 6'5", I noticed that as well. The lack of power sliding doors or AWD really wouldn't bother me, since this is essentially no more of a van than the 1995-1998 Honda Odyssey was. Actually, that's not a bad comparison. Both had 2.3L ~150 hp engines, and had enough room for 6 medium to small size people, although under the new EPA standards the 1998 Odyssey had fuel economy of 19/24.

• redrose1redrose1 Member Posts: 49
    Thank you for your comparison - I too am in a similar position - trading an 05 outback 3.0.
    Despite the fact that the outback is a little more luxiourious and has some features the Forester doesn't eg. tilt sunroof, dual climate control you still prefer the Forester. We test drove the turbo Forestewr and liked it very much - only things stopping us are the niceities mentioned above.
    Your comments are very important to us - thank you!
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The retune for the Mazda5 wasn't the new 2.5L I4 then? FWIW the 2009 Escape will get the 2.5 and prelimiary numbers are 21/27 with the new larger, more powerful mill and a new 6-speed ATX. If the 5 gets that motor too I wonder if it's nubmers will get better while adding more power too? Ford says 0-60 comes 1.7 seconds quicker than the 2.3L I4 too.
    Nope, still the 153hp/148lb-ft 2.3L engine. I'm guessing the 2.5L will be limited in the number of vehicles it can go into until production is ramped up.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    The only model that could match the Mazda's seating and economy would be the RAV4 2.4L with the optional 3rd Row.

You can't get the third row in the Rav without the V6 in Canada which is very limiting. I wonder how many I4's with 3rd row they sell in the US. Willling to bet they are a rare find, and I'll bet that that the 3 row I4 suffers some hit in fuel economy too with that extra weight.
    Are you shopping for the turbo or the naturally aspirated engine?

Even for your H6, premium fuel was recommended, so if you're looking to save on fuel then the base 2.5l is a good idea - they use less fuel, and cheaper fuel at that. It's designed for 87 octane. The turbos want premium.

I prefer the one big moonroof over my dad's twin moonroof (he has an OB Ltd). His doesn't open up over the front passengers' heads. The Forester's feels almost like a convertible in comparison.

Which model did you test drive? I thought the LL Bean was quite nice. Perforated leather seats, 4 settings on the seat heaters, and a soft place for your elbows to rest in the 4 seating positions we'll use most often.

The headliner is not as nice, and the dash isn't padded, but it looks nice enough to me.
    There is one very significant difference between the 5 and I think all the CUV's discussed here and that is a lack of traction control or stability control even in the top trim. Funny given that JDM and EDM Mazda5s have it. The lack of AWD could have been forgiven if those were available. Many of us need a snow capable vehicle, and FWD without TC or SC is now a poor second choice.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    +1 on the criticism of the 5 w/o TC/ESC.

With snow tires and TC/ESC, a 5 could compete with AWD.

It's been available on the Mazda3 for 2007 and 2008, but it hasn't been on the 5 yet, and won't be available on the 09 Mazda5 in Canada either [not sure about in the US yet, but I'd doubt it if Canada isn't getting it].
    Yeah, that's a glaring omission nowadays. :(
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    It is interesting to me how in a matter of weeks this crossover forum has gone from one of the busiest on Edmunds to almost completely dead. The only thing that has changed over the last dozen weeks or so is the historic rise of gas prices. I believe these never ending increases in fuel costs are affecting even the crossovers, which are touted as the fuel-efficient option for an SUV type vehicle. Why else would this forum suddenly die like this?
    Why else would this forum suddenly die like this?

Not many new introductions in this market in a short while? I can't think of any besides the Forester.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Or maybe the constant bickering?
    No that's not the reason and you're crazy for saying that. You're wrong, WRONG I SAY! And there's nothing you can do to prove otherwise. ;)

Of course I'm kidding. :P
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    i haven't been over here in a while and just saw your reply.
    it's good to know we are still on the same wavelength. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    The bickering could be fun. I don't know, so many of the postings came from folks who already had purchased their CUV's, so why would rising gas prices kill it? I certainly did think it would skew discussions re. fuel economy. AND CUV's are continuing to sell as they represent more economical alternatives to their SUV brethren in most cases so customers are still out there.
    OTOH Forester and CR-V sales have jumped significantly in the last couple of months. Maybe more are moving to the smaller class 5 passenger vehicles unless they truly require the 3rd row whereas even a year ago, customers were buying the bigger vehicles simply for the flexibility.
  • mattandimattandi Member Posts: 588
    Dodge Journey
    VW Tiguan
    redesigned Pilot

Everyone seems to have an opinion on what they consider "best." This segment is getting so crowded most of those opinions can apply to a greater number of vehicles. Maybe the available alternatives are outgrowing the differing opinions.
    Saw the new Pilot today, and must say, it does look a lot better in person than in pictures.
    I like the look as well and I do think it looks better in person than in the pics. Then again, I am a fan of the trucky look. The swoopy, curvy look, as has been the trend with CUV's, is growing on me, but I can't say it is my preference.
    The bug-eyed look of the original concept is more toned down in person. That was the biggest caveat; the headlights.
  • vad1819vad1819 Member Posts: 309
    I can agree with the gas price will kill SUV/CUV/VAN market. In Europe is happened long time ago. It's finally is coming to this country. I may to say, now I'm kind worry if i will be able to drive my Acadia two years from now. It will interesting development in the next couple years. Each week I'm spending $50-60 worth of gas. (one car)
    If someone is looking to buy family car should consider a Mazda 5. This will be perfect car for now and future days fuel prices.
    The Kia Rondo is another interesting option. These small people movers have been running around Europe for some time now. I think we will see more of them here soon in various iterations of hybrids, diesels, EV's, and such.
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    If someone is looking to buy family car should consider a Mazda 5. This will be perfect car for now and future days fuel prices.

I had a Mazda 5 for a rental once. I was shocked that it only managed to get in the low to at best mid 20s for mpg, and that was with just me riding around in it. It seems that a vehicle so much smaller than the typical minivan/crossover should get well into the 30s for mpg. I guess it just proves that one can not simply judge gas mileage by size, or a book by its cover for that matter. ;)
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I think space and comfort are going to beat out MPG for most folks. A Rondo or Mazda5 will cost only about $20K, as compared to $30K+ for these CUVs discussed in this forum. If folks are already willing to pay $10K+ more for a CUV, do you think paying an extra $11.50/week (see below calculation) in gas they're going to pay buy buying a CUV vs a Rondo/Mazda5 is going to cause them to buy the smaller vehicle?

If you drive 15,000 miles/year and average 25mpg, you'll pay $2400/year for gas at $4/gal, as compared to $3000/year if you're driving something that only averages 20mpg, then $600/52 = $11.50.

On the other hand, I personally like the Mazda5 and if it saves me $10K on the purchase price AND $600/year, then it's a good buy to me for a lot more reasons than just MPG.
    It should be noted that mileage is marginally better with the new 5-speed automatic and revised engine tuning.

2007 Mazda 5, 4-speed auto: 19/24
    2008 Mazda 5, 5-speed auto: 21/27
    OTOH Forester and CR-V sales have jumped significantly in the last couple of months

Count me in on that trend.

Our special order 2009 Forester arrived and we're picking it up today! :shades:

Forester sales were up 49% in April and up 66% in May. The fact that it gets 20/26 mpg with AWD can't hurt. Plus the new one is bigger. Unless you really need a 3rd row (we still have the minivan) something this size will cost less to buy and a lot less to own and operate.

Oops, I said the M word again. :D
    I think that you have hit on the shift that is beginning to take place in the US market. We have put a higher "value" on space and comfort as well as many other factors. That "value" has been driven by rational and irrational thought, subjective and objective measures, perception, marketing, yada yada. MPG has not received very high priority.

We're slowly coming to the realization/rationalization that carting around all that space all the time is not the necessity we have believed and that comfort is not the exclusive domain of larger vehicles. I think folks are more widely beginning to pay attention to the small details of budgeting and issues like total cost of ownership. Those are not as sexy as space, comfort, driving dynamics, or maybe even cupholders, but I think they are moving up the list of priorities.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Just curious...if you already have a minivan, why get a Forester, since the mivivan will satisfy all the cargo hauling needs. You could get a 4cyl Accord or Camry with better MPG and more comfortable inside probably even cheaper. Or even a Toyota Matrix, Honda Civic or Fit, or other vehicle. I'm just wondering why folks need more than one big vehicle in a family.
    Fair question...

The minivan will continue to be our trip/weekend car, basically. It will be the one we take on longer trips, and when we need cargo capacity (149 cubic feet is bigger than my first apartment I think).

The wife doesn't like big vehicles. To be honest, I prefer smaller ones too. The Forester is actually under 180" long, so it's very easy to park and actually pretty compact on the outside, a foot or more shorter than those sedans. Plus, visibility is actually better. She sits up high, and has a panoramic view. Forester might win the "easiest to park" award if there were one.

Plus, sedans are useless. Sorry, but to us they are. You're lucky if you can squeeze 14 cubic feet through the narrow openings. She had a Mazda 626 a couple of vehicles ago, and went to a Legacy wagon before her new Forester. The wagon was just a whole lot better at gobbling up stuff from Costco, groceries, etc. She car pools so she'll carry 3 kids in the back once in a while, so we have extra booster seats in the cargo area, which would pretty much fill up the trunk of a sedan. American sedans don't get rear wipers, which compromises visibility. The C-pillars are wider, too, while wagons/crossovers have narrow pillars, usually.

So the criteria were fairly compact, yet still roomy, with great visibility. We wanted AWD since this is our only snow car. My work rarely closes, but she stays home so I'll be driving the Subaru when it snows. That ruled out a lot of options.

Accord - no wagon available, no AWD. She didn't like the CR-V's styling, visibility compromised by the D-pillar.

Camry - same. RAV4 has wrong-way swing door and poor visibility.

Matrix - I showed her one but she found it a bit too small. Visibility is awful. Toyota ruined it with this redesign. The window behind the C-pillar is a bad joke. Same for the Scion xB. Back to the drawing board, please.

Civic - no wagon. No AWD. I'd consider the euro 5 door model if it were sold here, but for myself.

Fit - no AWD and too small, but mostly a matter of not feeling "safe" on the highway among far bigger cars. I love the Fit - we helped my mom buy one.

At the auto show I showed her the Rogue, but she thought it was the ugliest car at the show. I actually kinda like it.

What else? I test drove an Outlander 2.4l CVT, but visibility is poor and the CVT feels totally disconnected (Nissan executes their CVT *far* better).

She test drove a friend's new Altima sedan, but felt it was too low to the ground and complained about having to back it up down a hill.

A while back we drove a Saturn Vue but that simply felt heavy, bulky, for some reason.

We shopped mostly in the compact crossover class. Sure they are glorified wagons but that's what she wanted - a wagon bodystyle with a higher seating position and AWD.

Bottom line: the Forester was roomy inside, and shorter than a Chevy Cobalt or Mitsu Lancer outside. It's a paradox - a Big Compact.

She's quite happy. Now if she'd only let me drive it ... :D
    Bottom line: the Forester was roomy inside, and shorter than a Chevy Cobalt or Mitsu Lancer outside. It's a paradox - a Big Compact.

She's quite happy. Now if she'd only let me drive it ...

There was a car commercial not too long ago (I forget what vehicle it was marketing) that showed a couple, each progressively waking up earlier every day in order to be the first one to the new car that morning. Maybe you should just set your alarm clock to wake up nice and early, and sneak out for a drive! :)

Congrats on the wheels, at.
    I remember that, it was kind of dark, yet still funny.

I think it was for the Mercury Mariner?

I did take a peek at a hybrid Mariner, but at $30k well equipped, after discounts, that interior just doesn't hold up well in that price territory.

We do have a Subaru Chase credit card, and applied $1600 Subaru Bucks toward the purchase. So our Limited model came out to about $23.4k, that's with the panoramic moonroof, heated and perforated leather seats, 6CD changer w/MP3 capability, PZEV engine (+5hp and greener), and a bunch of accessories.

I guess we could have had another Legacy wagon (2.5i Limited) for a tad less, but the Forester is smaller and just as roomy inside, plus she wanted something different.
    I think it was for the Mercury Mariner?

That's it!

I guess we could have had another Legacy wagon (2.5i Limited) for a tad less, but the Forester is smaller and just as roomy inside, plus she wanted something different.

Nothing wrong with wanting something different. It's why my parents went from their second identical silver Accord (03 and 05) to an Atomic Blue Civic in 2007!
    Yeah...

In terms of ownership costs, it really helps when a company has a credit card where you can earn points/credit. Subaru does, obviously, but so does BMW, VW, and Toyota is adding one per Automotive News, last I heard. Not sure if Ford and GM still have one nowadays?

So we got $1600 off the purchase price, but we can also use future credits to buy accessories or even to pay for service. It maxes out at $500/year, and she puts business expenses on that card, so over, say, a 7 year ownership period you're talking about a pretty significant $3500.

We've had the card for 4 years, so $100 went towards some accessories we wanted. Then $300 went to the body shop (insurance paid us so we kept the extra $300 in cash - ka-ching!). The $1600 remaining went towards the new Subaru.

If we had decided on something else, I could have used that to pay for the 60k mile service and to fix a dent on the door of the Legacy we sold.

We didn't, so basically it let us get a loaded up Limited model for the price of a mid-level model instead. :shades:
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    We have a minivan & we are not going to trade it/sell it; period. We drove it from Ontario, Canada to Texas in Feb 08 and averaged 30mi/can gal & it was loaded with 2 sewing machines and piles of luggage. Yesterday we bought and loaded the minivan with wood trim for our house (16 pieces of 7 ft x 3") . We are retired on CPP pension. No way are parting company. This van makes sense! Some rich speculators are getting rich jacking the price of oil. This needs to stop.

2002 Honda Odyssey EX (current)

Previous vehicles
    1992 Ford Taurus L 4 door 300 cu in long-stroke
    1982 Ford E150 Customized by Triple-E travel Van 351 cu ins V8
    1979 Mercury Zephyr 6 cylinder 4-door sedan
    1972 Datsun 510 4-door automatic
    1967 Plymount Valiant 2-door sedan large-v6
    1965 Morris 1100
    1963 Austin 850 mini
    I drove the Pilot Touring 2WD today, with RES and NAV. I must say, I was impressed with the isolation of the ride and engine, very quiet for a Honda; my aunt, who was with me (and the one shopping), commented it was ahead of her 2005 Odyssey EX.

The engine didn't make the car feel fast, but it was certainly just fine for its purpose. One thing I made sure to notice was the functionality of the "ECO" mode. It was on pretty often during our drive, which included city driving with speeds that eventually led to 60 MPH (a State Hwy in town). Very quiet, and honestly, HONESTLY, I felt no indication that the engine switched modes. It was completely impreceptable to me, and I even cut the A/C off so as to hear a difference. Overall, it is an impressive effort by Honda, in my opinion.

One thing I couldn't get used to was the perceived size of the thing. I guess the big flat hood and extra width made it feel really large. It could also have to do with the fact that the previous car we had driven was a Honda Fit Sport (which I'll comment on in the proper forum). Quite a difference! Haha.

In the end, I still don't love the styling (front-end), but the Pilot is worth a look anyway. I left impressed.
    Cool, thanks for sharing.

We spent 4 days with friends in Tucson that own an Ody and they let me drive it, I remember the ECO light but it only went on very seldom, basically when we were coasting to a stop at a traffic light.

Maybe it's using the 4 cylinder mode more often than it used the old 3 cylinder mode.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And the spam is gone. :shades:
    You're quick! I deleted the post to which your responded, since it was irrelevant. ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Gee, don't you enjoy plowing through a bunch of ads and spam to get to the real posts in here?
    Of course, doesn't everyone?!

It's already "Acadia-Ville" in here today on my screen thanks to all the ads.
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    thegraduate said: "In the end, I still don't love the styling (front-end), but the Pilot is worth a look anyway."

I agree, Honda is evoking memories of the Pontiac Aztek with that thing... UGLY! Some will like it, but, then again, some people buy Pug dogs, too....

You mentioned Variable Cylinder Management (VCM), where 3 out of the 6 cylinders sometimes shut down to save fuel. But do they save fuel? The Honda Pilot gets 16 MPG in the city, and the Mazda CX-9 also gets 16 MPG in the city, except the CX-9 does NOT have VCM. I don't understand that. Both vehicles are comparable in size, weight, and horsepower. That VCM doesn't appear to do much to save gas. Actually, I can brag because my Freestyle gets 27 MPG on the highway routinely, and 20 in city driving without the added expense and complexity of VCM ( for the Freestyle, its the CVT tranny that really causes the higher MPG compared to others).
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    VCM functions primarily on the freeway, you won't see much difference in the city.
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    The VCM activates at light load, cutting out half the cylinders, so that cruising easy on the highway at 55 or 60 it may activate more, while cruising at 70-80 mph it will need all 6 cylinders. Hills and passing, the VCM will be off as well, as the load is higher and all 6 are needed. In the city, every time you idle at a stoplight or hit the brakes to stop, VCM will activate. I'd say it does it more in the city during coast down and stop time.

However, the EPA highway rating for the Mazda CX-9, at 22 MPG (no VCM) is the same as the Pilot's 22 MPG. And their city MPGs are the same at 16. Why doesn't VCM have much affect anywhere? Very odd.

In fact, the Acadia, Dodge Journey, and Taurus X, all with similar sized V6 engines get better MPG than the Pilot, although the Pilot is the only one with VCM. The Odyssey, with the same engine/tranny as the Pilot, does seem to benefit from its VCM, besting all the above mentioned vehicles in MPG by 1 at least. Maybe the answer is in the extremely poor aerodynamics of the Pilot, while the Odyssey has better aero, and it shows up in the MPG numbers. Certainly the ugly box/weird shapes on the Pilot must be creating a high drag coefficient.
    Considering the same engine in last-year's non VCM Pilot got 15/20 and that the current Pilot WITH vcm gets 16/22, I'd say the vcm DOES help it get better economy in that particular engine.