Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• fourteen14fourteen14 Member Posts: 85
    ""The big infinity's and nissan armada just don't look balanced to me.""

:confuse: Maybe because you were looking at an "infinity" rather than an Infiniti"!???! To some people, though, they look the same!! :confuse:

;)
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Gotta do some work on my shift key finger. Doesn't want to behave sometime.
  • airbornedocairbornedoc Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at both for my 16 year old. Any advice from some CX-9 owners out there?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Why would your 16 year old need a large-family sized vehicle? If you're really wanting a crossover vehicle, I certainly wouldn't start them on something brand new, and that large/expensive. I'd look at some things like a pre-owned (2007-2008 or so) CR-V, RAV-4, Ford Escape, Hyundai Santa Fe or Tuscon, for around $15k. Still plenty of room and all the modern safety equipment, but without the bigger gas bills or high-school parking-lot nightmares of a brand new $35k family-hauler.

I'm a 22 year old man; trust me, incidents are going to happen at a young age, no-matter how careful the driver. I've never been ticketed or at-fault in an accident, but growing up driving my 6 year old Accord (now 14!) was the best thing that could've happened.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    A CX7 may fit better in the small high school parking lot spots. ;)

And they have a new non-turbo model, which is more affordable.

I agree that a compact crossover ought to be plenty for a teenager. To pick among the safest ones, here's the IIHS 2010 Top Safety Picks:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx

You could even just get a small wagon. Soul, Cube, Impreza, and Golf still make the Top Safety Picks list and are generally suitable for a young teenager's driving needs.

Best of luck shopping, whatever you end up with. :)
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    I can't agree with buying a really small crossover as some have suggested. The smaller the car, the worse the outcome will be in a wreck. Also, small vehicles actually cost more to insure. I would suggest a larger, used car that your teen won't be tempted to hot rod in. Besides, crossovers can be "tippy", and cars are more stable and easier to handle in an emergency situation or on curves.

Personally, I think the perfect vehicle for a teen would be a big, ol' Buick station wagon. ;-)
    A Santa Fe by Hyundai outweighs any LeSabre; even compares well with an Explorer or minivan, weight-wise. The best outcome is to have a vehicle in which the crash can be avoided in the first place. An eight-passenger gas-sucker with poor visibility and more cumbersome handling isn't the way to do it, in my opinion.
    I do think checking insurance rates is a great idea.

Also, these crossovers aren't exactly small. Small would be a Mazda3 hatchback.
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    OK, you guys, my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek. My point was that many a teenager has been handed a sporty vehicle at the age of 16 and ended up wrappping it around a tree. I know I'm an old fogey, but I think kids should not get a brand new car and they should help pay for any car they get, especially the gas and insurance expenses. I am amazed at how kids are handed everything they want and not expected to work. It is not a recipe for developing responsible adults.

Off my soapbox now. :)
    Well, a CR-V, RAV, & Santa Fe are not racy vehicles. Quick enough to be safe (9-10 seconds to 60 mph) but not fast at all, really. Just avoid the V6 RAV4 (its a rocket).

When I was 16, my grandmother gave me her 6 year old Accord, with 120k miles on it. My folks said they'd pay insurance and gas as long as I kept my straight-A's. I did, so they did. Pretty good setup to me; kept me focused in school to the point I got a full ride to college. Because they didn't have to pay for college, they bought me a car (my '06 Accord). They just used "incentives" to help me help myself. They did tell me, however, the first accident I caused or the first ticket I received would revoke it all, and I'd be left holding the bag and bill for everything.
    I understood.

Maybe try an older TDI wagon. They're slow as heck and will keep you out of trouble. ;)

The old 80s wagons (I learned to drive in one) are RWD and may be tricky for a newbie. Ours also got about 8 mpg. Plus they're so big and don't track straight, so it's impossible to stay in a lane. IMHO not a good beginner's car.

Pick from the IIHS Top Safety Picks, and you'll get stability/traction control, plus a rigid structure, and all the airbags you can shake a stick at.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No CX-9 owners want to chip in and comment on how sweet a ride that would be for a teen?
  • maybesubie1maybesubie1 Member Posts: 30
    With the large incentives GM is apparently providing to sell remaining Pontiacs and Saturns, I'm surprised there isn't more chatter on Carspace. $7k is quite a bit- would it be enough for anyone to consider a Pontiac Torrent or Saturn Vue over similar vehicles from other manufacturers? Lots of negatives like reliability, mpg, replacement parts, resale, etc. but it seems likely there are going to be some fantastic prices on Pontiac and Saturn that people may want to consider. Thoughts?
    Don't they have to be used as a program car by the dealer first? I don't think they can be sold as new. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I test drove a Vue a while back. If they added some steering feel I'd consider one. Even then, the Equinox looks so much nicer, plus it's more fuel efficient.

$7 grand buys a lot of gas, I suppose.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I looked at the Inventory tool last night. The closest Pontiac Vibe is 350 miles from me. Tis a bit tempting, even if it is "used", but they were all automatics.
    Yes, they would have to be sold as used but I get the impression some dealers might turn around and sell them immediately w/ almost no miles on them.
    Good call on the inventory tool. Only one Vue and one Outlook within 100 miles of me. Maybe that's why the incentives don't seem to be generating much excitement- could be that there is very little inventory.
  • fourteen14fourteen14 Member Posts: 85
    ""With the large incentives GM is apparently providing to sell remaining Pontiacs and Saturns""
    ""$7k is quite a bit""

Since last month, after ten minutes of negotiation, I received a $6,100 discount on a new 2010 Infiniti EX35 sport wagon, that was not on the lot, I would consider the $900 less discount as 'money well spent'!!!!
    :surprise: :shades:
    That is a huge discount, but I think that's because they're very small inside. It's almost more like a sporty 2+2 than a utility.

I bet it drives real nice, though.

Heck, I'd reconsider a Saturn Outlook with that sort of discount, but I'm not in the market right now.
  • berniemavisberniemavis Member Posts: 9
    I am trying to decide between these two vehicles. Both would be AWD, top of the line versions. Sante fe is offering 0%....Honda 6%, Sante Fe Now an excellent vehicle, Honda ...not what they used to be. Sante fe higher depreciation, Crosstour not accepted by public may depreciate as much as Sante fe. Better warranty from Sante fe, 6 speed auto,all modern electronic hook ups etc.
    I have owned 3 Hondas inc. a S2000. Why am I being pulled towards a Sante fe.....what am I missing?
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    edited March 2010
    They are definitely different types of vehicles.

The depreciation is indeed something to consider. Especially if you trade/buy often. However financing differences, payment differences just might offset the/any depreciation differences.

I personally like the looks of the Santa Fe. It looks to be a lot more expensive than it is. The Crosstour is somewhat "different" looking, but beginning to grow on me.
    FWIW: I didn't care for the "LOOKS" of the Honda Ridgeline when it first emerged. But now I own one!

Could be mistaken , but I'm thinking the Santa Fe 10 year 100K mile warranty is on the drive train only and the bumper to bumper might be the same as most other vehicles at 3 year and 36K miles. Honda is 5 year and 60K miles in the drive train. and 3/36K bumper to bumper. Please correct me, if I'm wrong on that.

That 10/10 warranty is a good thing for sure and important IF we keep a car that long.

With our '03 Pilot and '03 CR-V, the little things like sensors, various electronics and modules, window motors, AC controls and compressors, shocks, switches, and such were problems. Especially after the 36/36 ran out. While the mechanical parts of the drive train itself, were flawless. So, for us, the bumper to bumper Extended Warranty payed for itself on both vehicles.

Before purchasing, you might want to spend some time driving both and really paying attention to the feel of the seats, ease of entry and exit, road noise at highway speeds, ride and handling, various controls, space we may or may not really need, sitting position in both height and in relationship to the steering wheel and pedals.

While the outside "Looks" of our vehicle is important to us, we have to "LIVE" with the inside. Depreciation can be a concern if we trade often. But we might not trade as often if we test and consider a vehicle like we are going to be stuck with it for 10 years. ;)

Good luck.
    Kip
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    The Hyundai warranty is 10yr/100k on the drivetrain and 5yr/60k bumper to bumper. ;)
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    >The Hyundai warranty is 10yr/100k on the drivetrain and 5yr/60k bumper to bumper." ;)

WOW! Definitely better than the Honda Bumper to Bumper.

Thanks,
    Kip
    I'm a bit surprised by your choices, but I've made far more bizarre comparisons (BMW 3 series sedan vs. buying a beach condo).

Crosstour is more of a competitor to the Toyota Venza and Subaru Outback, so you may want to consider those as well. If you overlook the styling, what bothers me about the Crosstour is that is only has 31" of width between the wheel wells in the cargo area, very narrow. The Outback is a whole foot wider there. Honda compromised utility for style, and I'm not a fan of the style.

Santa Fe got some nice powertrain upgrades, but the design itself is a bit dated. You may want to check out the new Kia Sorento instead, it's cousin.

Good luck and have fun shopping.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    but I've made far more bizarre comparisons (BMW 3 series sedan vs. buying a beach condo).

Hmm. Tough call.

Was the beach condo FWD? :)

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    You mean did it have Floors, Windows, and Doors? :P

I'd want ABS - A Beach Scene.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    It had much more interior space, but top speed is the earth's rotation. :D
  • ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    edited March 2010
    Plus the earth's orbit around the sun, plus the sun's orbit in the galaxy, plus the galaxy's movement in the universe:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-fast-is-the-earth-mov&topic- - ID=2

We appear to be hauling some serious butt!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    plus the galaxy's movement in the universe

On the other hand, if you're the center of the Universe, then you're not moving at all! :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    Why thank you for recognizing that fact ;)
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    edited April 2010
    Hi folks. Haven't posted at Edmunds in quite a while, but... what better place to get specific answers when you need 'em. :shades:

Considering purchasing a used vehicle larger than our '06 Outback. Top contender right now is 2007 Pilot, also thinking of checking out an '08 Taurus X. If we install 2 LATCH carseats in the 2nd row outboard positions, can these vehicles' 3rd row be accessed by kid-sized humans? (The Taurus X would have a 2nd row bench seat, BTW, not 2 buckets.)
  • larryqwlarryqw Member Posts: 52
    I have a 2008 Taurus X with second row buckets and a center console. To get in the back, you really need to put down the seats, so you need to remove any child carseats temporarily.

On the other hand, my little ones are so spry, they often just hip-hop over the rear seat back anyway. It depends on your kids.
    Thank you, good sir! While my 3rd-row passenger would be spry enough, there's no way my wife would let his normal approach be over the 2nd row. :)

A used Taurus X seems like a particularly good value, with a 2-year-old Limited AWD nearly 1/3 off of new. Drat. I wonder how well the 2nd row would handle 2 carseats & a booster.

I'll wait to hear from anyone else on an '07 Pilot.

I'd look at a minivan, but I want something AWD with a bit of ground clearance, and don't want to drive a massive SUV. My thinking is that for normal travel we'd have 2 carseats in the 2nd row and the booster in the 3rd, but for trips where we need the cargo room we'd move the booster up to the 2nd row center position to allow us to pack everybody's gear. (I need a crossover with a sliding door to access the last row!)
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    The only swing door vehicles which allow 3rd row access with outboard child seats are the ones with 2nd row captain's and a centre gap to cross. Otherwise, sliding door minivan.
    edited April 2010
    Thanks, volkov. If I do the captain's chairs, though, my 3rd row passenger takes up too much cargo space for trips, so that's just not an option.

It's looking like I may have to settle for 3 kids across the 2nd row all the time, rather than just for trips. Though I suppose with Pilot I could also put car seats in the 60% portion of the 2nd row, leaving the 40% portion available to fold & allow access the 3rd row. I assume the bench-seat-option Taurus X would allow the same then. Hmm... I wonder if their LATCH anchors would accommodate 2 car seats in the 60% portion of the 2nd row... anyone know? :confuse:
    The Sienna offers AWD and comes with about an extra inch of so of clearance vs. other vans.

That may not be enough, but I thought I'd mention that.
    Thanks juice -
    I considered Sienna and, if I went the minivan route, it'd probably be the one I choose though I favor Odyssey's looks & handling. I've tested the limits of my Outback's ground clearance and think the Sienna would still be too low for what I want to do. The high price of the AWD version and the run-flat tires are also big negatives. I'd have to keep a spare tire in the cargo area in case I damaged a tire on a Forest Service or logging road... certainly don't want to be stuck in the middle of the woods with the kiddos in tow.
    Yep, sounds like you need a lot more than just an extra inch.
  • sharonselsharonsel Member Posts: 9
    I had a freestyle which is the same as the Taurus X. It is impossible to put two carseats or a carseat and booster in the second row 60 part. There isn't enough seat space and if you happened to get them in, they would be so crammed that you would not be able to raise or lower the 40 seat. I suggest putting one car seat in the 40 part and the other two in the back. Leave the 60 side open all the time which is on the driver side to get in and out easily. You might have to put luggage on top of the car or on the floors under the kids feet. The car really needs to be a couple inches wider. The GMC Acadia seems to have a little more space.
    I'm going off of memory here, but I think the Sienna AWD has more ground clearance than the Taurus X.

Thanks for the suggestions, Sharon. We've found a compact and well-rated carseat called the Radian from Sunshine Kids, which has been necessary in the cozy confines of our Outback's back seat. It takes up considerably less space than a typical Graco or Britax. On the off chance it'd work on the 60% side, I'll probably still check it out. I wouldn't want to put one of the car seats out of reach in the third row (but the older child in the booster would be OK there)

How did you like the Freestyle otherwise (taking into consideration that Taurus X has a different engine and transmission)?
    The specs I've found show Taurus X and Pilot with 8" and AWD Sienna with 6.9". Both Pilot and Taurus X have .4" less than my Outback (incredibly) but that puts a Sienna at 1.5" lower than the Outback, which just won't cut it.
    Maybe I'm confusing it with the Flex, or the Freestyle. Before I bought my Pilot, I looked at the T-Rex and the clearance seemed lower, but clearly it isn't. Must be the lower roof clouding my brain.

How about a Sienna with a lift kit? :P

• larryqwlarryqw Member Posts: 52
    I once found my Taurus X was listed with only 6.5" onf clearance. So I went around under my 2008 Taurus X FWD with a ruler. (Yes, I'm an engineer. How'd you guess?)

The Taurus X has about 8" or more clearance everywhere except right under the engine , where the larger engine on the T-X has a manifold that sticks down a little lower right in the front middle of the car under the engine. There, the clearance is maybe under 7". I suspect it could go lower with a full load.

When riding over big (~6") rocks with a full load of 4 of mountain bikers and all our camping gear and bikes at Moab, Utah, and Goosbery Nevada, we were just careful to go over the rocks slightly off the center of the car and did fine.
    Sure that's not a cross member?

The issue being it could still cause you to high-center in deep snow/ice.
    Ooooo... a monster van! :D

Pilot needs some bigger wheels to help the clearance... it's got 16s but both the Taurus X & Outback both have 18-inchers. I wonder if I could upsize the wheels 1-2" comfortably on Pilot? Certainly seems like enough clearance in the wells, but I don't know much about that.

I don't even want to ask the MPG, though! :D
    I believe it'd be GPM! :)
    Sure looks cool, though. All it needs is a better paint job.
    Wheel size doesn't matter when it comes to clearance; its overall wheel/tire circumference. Unless you stick with a 70 series sidewall like the stock 16 tire, going to a 17 or 18 won't get you anywhere. The 2010 Pilot comes with 17's now, but still has the same 8" of clearance of the 08...because it has a 65-series tire instead of the old 70. OTOH, a 75 series tire with those 16" wheels will give you some more clearance...and its probably cheaper too.

In any case, remember that increasing the overall circumference makes your speedometer inaccurate.