Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    pacifica with a 3rd row? nope.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    I've seen the site and the picture. Storage room is quite a bit more on the floor (atleast 2 rows of groceries without stacking instead of 1) The $39,995 price, in Canadian dollars, includes options like leather, moonroof, and AWD, according to the same site. An AWD Acadia with no other options is $39,995. Adding leather and the sunroof. The equivalent Acadia version costs a little over $46k Canadian. The Veracruz's limited price of $46k Canadian that the site lists includes the memory seat packages, entertainment, power liftgate, and 605 watt stereo. Those same options push the Acadia to more than $50k Canadian.
    You could get in it at the Detroit Auto Show. Here are some pictures someone took. There are 6 pages of personally taken photos of the interior and exterior.

http://www.josebatalla.com/veracruz/
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    Most likely these are MSRP prices. Veracruz will be selling at invoice very fast. This year is bringing fierce competition in the CUV segment. Within few month and even days for some, we'll be seeing redesigned CX-9, Highlander, Murano, and Pilot. There is no way Veracruz can be selling for as much as newly redesigned Japanese rivals.
  • srangersranger Member Posts: 106
    why bring a mariner into this discussion?

Some one asked my why it was not on my list...
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Official US Veracruz spec - http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2007_Models/Veracruz/Specifications.asp

Official US Santa Fe spec - http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2007_Models/Santa_Fe/Specifications.asp

Storage is adequate and plenty. Try folding down the seats if you'd need additional space.
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    An AWD Acadia with no other options is $39,995.
    An All wheel drive Acadia with all options except navigation and chrome wheels is 39,604. This price includes power liftgate, memory seats and upgraded stereo. And I'm sure we all know VeraCruz can't possibly be priced at 39,995 because at this price you could get a new Acura MDX and have more in a luxo CUV! Hyundai won't sell one at this price decked out. I could tell you guys where Veracurz will start-28-33g.
    Read the replies. These are CANADIAN prices posted at one of the forums, not USD.
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    Vercacruz's exterior size is about equal to a Ford Edge. Ford could be in trouble with the Korean machine competing with it. Now if we can just get the UAW to be paid Korean wages, Ford would have a chance....
    I got that at first, but then I got confused with another one of the posts, but i was saying I understand those can't be USD prices-I mean, Hyundai's not stupid.
    I finally got to sit in a CX-9, Acadia, Outlook, and R320CDi (just for fun). I couldn't really get the CX-9 to be comfortable for 3 rows of adult seating. If the first two were good, the third wasn't. If the first and third was, the second wasn't. The Acadia and Outlook just felt too massive. They felt just too big, almost like a huge body on frame SUV. Headroom in the 3rd row was great, but when equipped with the huge glass skylight, I didn't really like the 2nd row headroom. Even though the R320CDi is every bit as massive (203" long) as the Acadia, it didn't give off a huge vehicle vibe. It had the best use of space, and personally, I'd have less of a problem dropping $53k on it than $43k on the Acadia. Now that we've looked at all the real options for us (R320CDi is not really one of them, but it's an awesome vehicle, getting 21/28 mpg), we're really looking forward to seeing the Veracruz. My wife really likes the Santa Fe, including the way it drives, and with the extra room and versatility the Veracruz offers, she'll probably like it too.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Concerning options that are of interest to me (sunroof, rear-DVD, NAV and bluetooth), someone please make sure I'm correct in the following statements:

(1) The Mazda CX-9 comes with all these options, but you can't get the sunroof with the DVD;
    (2) The Lambdas come with all these options except for bluetooth (and you can get sunroof with DVD);
    (3) The Veracruz will not be introduced with NAV nor bluetooth, but will have DVD and sunroof (together?)
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    That is what I understand, at this time.
    Rumor has it that if Hyundai gets their act together and introduces Nav, it will still not have bluetooth. BTW, it's the Korean contingent that wouldn't fund nav for the US Veracruz. HMA was really pushing for it. Hopefully they'll get it... and soon. I don't really want it, but it seems like it should be available given its competition.
    NAV is a "nice-to-have" feature at this moment, as is bluetooth, but in the end both features might be a deciding factor. I had it in my mind that these were both unnecessary luxuries, but over the last few months of having seen both in action in other people's cars, they actually do come in very handy when you need them. I know my wife would love the bluetooth, since she doesn't like holding the phone when she drives, or always sticks it in her purse out of reach from her when it rings.

I know there's always aftermarket options, but I'm getting sick of seeing wires running all over my dashboard!
  • fromsffromsf Member Posts: 19
    Is Murano redesigned for 2008? Will it come with 7 Seats?

Currently CX-9 is pricier than Pilot and Highlander. If redesigned specs of Highlander is better than the current model and if it can comfortably seat 7 adults and CX-9 will have hard time to convince the potential buyers. Considering 2007 redesigned MDX, Pilot will get same ugly roundish look and with no extra dimensions and will be the big time loser.

Veracruz will be winner of all if they sell with NAV.
  • eaglepiloteaglepilot Member Posts: 19
    "Considering 2007 redesigned MDX, Pilot will get same ugly roundish look and with no extra dimensions and will be the big time loser."

Given that the previous generation MDX and Pilot didn't look much alike, why would you assume that the next generation will?
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    Does anyone have any idea when the Veracruz will be in dealer showrooms in the US?
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    I've seen the Outlook. I like the roominess and the panoramic roof. The interior trim (dashboard, door panels, etc) look a bit bland and cheap. The "heads up display" that's available on the Acadia is not available on the Outlook.

Haven't seen the CX9 but have checked out the CX7. The interior trim and finish look really chintzy and those red guages are horrible.
  • floridagal2floridagal2 Member Posts: 14
    Our Local dealer says April.
    Those two vehicles will move up in price too, especially if the become big enough to seat 7 comfortably (which they don't do now). The 2007 Santa Fe has around the same interior space as the current generation Pilot.
  • prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    You can't have it both ways. Hyundai can't offer a premium vehicle at a budget price without cutting corners, especially since the Korean currency is appreciating and killing the Korean automaker. Most would not argue that Hyundai's brand image is not that of its competitors although most who have owned or driven Hyundai's over the past 6 years know the vehicles are equivalent or even better. Hyundai cannot put a Nav in a Veracruz Limited, put a price of $40k (38k) US on it and sell them. It won't happen YET!
    I'm 6'3" and I thought head room was awful in both the CX-9 and the Acadia and Outlook. In the CX-9, I was comfotable in headroom in the 2nd row but not the 3rd. In the Acadia and Outlook, I fit in both rows but just barely. My head was close to the ceiling in both. To be honest, sitting in the Acadia was like being in a full size body on frame SUV. It felt so massive and ungainly on the inside. The seats were not uncomfortable, but they looked thin and cheap. The plastic looked good and felt bad, but the CX-9 had the same issue.

Sitting in the Acadia and the CX-9 made me think that there was no way I was going to pay the sticker for either one of them. I was not impressed with what the vehicles offered for the money as far as the total package. I'm hoping the Veracruz can impress me because I'm running out of options. :(
    The rumor is that it will start at $26-27k. With all that standard equipment, that's a steal. That would probably make a SE $29k or so and a Limited (which already includes the moonroof) available at around $31-32k. If you added $3,500 for the Ultimate package (Santa Fe ultimate package has the same features) and $2k for nav, you'd still end up at less than $38k. Even with the even softer leather package, it would be less than $40k. A regular old Limited would be good enough for me. It has all the options I want included in the package.
    Considering how much effort Honda put in 2007 Civic and 2008 Accord coupe looks, we can expect pretty good looking Pilot for 2008.
    I'm hoping the Veracruz can impress me because I'm running out of options.

Well, you can always wait it out for the upcoming Highlander and Pilot redesign. I'm waiting to see these unveilings before making up my mind on any new crossovers. I think the Highlander will be unveiled in Chicago in Feb, but not sure about the Pilot.

My wife does like the Veracruz, it's unfortunate it doesn't have the NAV/bluetooth options.
    Yeah, I agree, but I guess Hyundai Korea didn't feel it necessary to pass on those options from the Korean version.
    Waiting to see Pilot- It should be larger to correct complaint and be more versitile. I'm about 6-3 and room in Acadia was very good. Problem with Sante Fe that mad e me uncomfortable was it was so low.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Considering how much effort Honda put in 2007 Civic and 2008 Accord coupe looks, we can expect pretty good looking Pilot for 2008.

Have you seen the '07 CR-V, MDX, or RDX? You're also assuming everyone likes the new Civic and next Accord too. The former is better looking but I wouldn't put it in my top 5. The '08 accord is nothing new unless you really liked the last gen Lexus IS300. It's a good thing they make great engines over at the big "H" IMO.
    It is impossible to tell how new Pilot or Highlander will look like at this point. All I was saying that I'd like to see all available options before jumping on Veracruz. I have a feeling that Honda, Toyota, and Nissan didn't waste all the years between models to produce a looser.
  • readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    I'm 6'3" as well. I was very close to the ceiling in both the Santa Fe and Acadia. The seat was closer to the ground in the Santa Fe though.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I'm 6'3" and I thought head room was awful in both the CX-9 and the Acadia and Outlook. In the CX-9, I was comfotable in headroom in the 2nd row but not the 3rd. In the Acadia and Outlook, I fit in both rows but just barely. My head was close to the ceiling in both."

You didn't mention the FreeStyle. It has great headroom.
    I haven't actually sat in the Freestyle. I can see the kind of stadium seating effect it has in the roof-line. My wife doesn't like it for some reason though so we didn't really consider it. It's going to be her vehicle so I guess she has to like it. :P
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I had thought the Freestyle was going to be killed, but it lives for 2008 with the "Edge" front end look and, more importantly, the 250-260 HP V6 that is also going into the 2008 Ford 500. If they can deal with what some consider a less than expensive looking interior it could pop back up on many people's radar screens. I had certainly written it off due to the HP issues. I'll check it out again once the 2008 is out this summer. It certainly has a significant prioe point advantage over many others in this discussion.
    Arumage-Why do you even need a third row? not to be battering, but i've never really understood. I didn't hear you say you have kids, or carry 6 extra passengers(THough really, being 6+ft tall I know I won't be-and no one should- going rear of second row) Just wondering.
    Anyway, looking at the Freestyle, if ford has made the front more bole, and less duck looking(like more sheetmetal, and lsess front overhangs) than this Freestyle would look waaayyy better than the computer animated picture I saw. But I wouldn't dream of asking the wife what she thinks of this-She says she likes the Chrysler Aspen! i really can't wait to see the new highlander/ Pilot. If Honda hasn't raised the price-and seeing that they're not stepping up in market, why should they?-and improve interior space and exterior looks then Honda has a real winner!
    Another thing: Arumage- you say you'd be ready to spend 38g on a loaded VeraCruz(I might have misunderstood) But then you said CX-9 and Acadia were pricey. But loaded Acdia with everything but DVD is like 40g, and with out navigation 38g, and CX- with everything but dvd OR roof is 38g. looks like Hyundai has closed pricing gap!
    "But loaded Acdia with everything but DVD is like 40g, and with out navigation 38g, and CX- with everything but dvd OR roof is 38g. looks like Hyundai has closed pricing gap!"

And the loaded FreeStyle Limited is ... what, 33K?
    Here are some interior pictures of the Veracruz:

Leather and headrest look really good:

Third row accessibility:

Cargo space 2nd/3rd rows:

Photos courtesy of Jose @ CSS
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    Another thing: Arumage- you say you'd be ready to spend 38g on a loaded VeraCruz(I might have misunderstood) But then you said CX-9 and Acadia were pricey. But loaded Acdia with everything but DVD is like 40g, and with out navigation 38g, and CX- with everything but dvd OR roof is 38g. looks like Hyundai has closed pricing gap!

That is indeed true. Everything is really close with the CX-9 squeezing a good procing advantage.
  • cumadoggcumadogg Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know what the final HP ratings will be on the Veracruz and when they will be at dealers. My local dealer had NO idea (not a good sign)
    Actually, with all the same options, the Freestyle is just under $36k and doesn't include a premium stereo option, power liftgate, turn signals on the mirrors, etc. The Freestyle also has the worst interior, least features, least power, and worst performance. Gas mileage is now also negligible. $38k for the Hyundai included a speculatory nav system were they to offer it. The Acadia is still $2k more expensive for a fully loaded model. It also doesn't offer features such as rain sensing wipers, push button start (with the keys in your pocket), keyless entry (without ever touching your keys), and the stereo lacks a couple hundred watts in comparison. It may price up quick, but the Veracruz Limited base package looks like it will be $4k cheaper for the same options.

I almost forgot the CX-9. The CX-9, without moonroof because of rear entertainment, is a little over $39k. It has 20" wheels which offsets the price of a moonroof. It also has a backup camera and bluetooth. It's really not a bad deal in comparison to the others... but it felt so much smaller than it was on the inside IMHO
    The current estimate is April at the latest. The same thing happened with the Santa Fe. Alot of dealers had no idea when these things were coming in.
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    We have a CX-9 GT on its way from Tacoma to Cleveland as I write but, we've never seen one in the flesh. We have the right of refusal, btw. We feel we got a good deal ($700 over invoice.) I just compared the interior/exterior specs with...the Pacifica using the published data in their respective brochures. I don't know but, the PAC is back in the running because in many specs it exceeds the Mazda. It has a new engine and tranny, it has heated captain's seats in the 2nd row, it has a PLG available right now, and it has bluetooth, rear camera, very similar 3rd row specs, available hid xenons and, as far as I can tell, only one negative: slightly less space behind the 3rd row. Here's the kicker: It's about $5K less money.

What am I missing here? I may spend some of the loot on a Chrysler extended warranty and laugh all the way to the bank. Hmm...

Jay
    I can tell you that the CX-9 is just as sweet looking in person as it is in the pictures. Third row room is better in the CX-9, including headroom. My wish is that I could fit back there with enough headroom, which I can't in either the Pacifica and CX-9. I might be asking to much. Since I haven't seen the Veracruz, the only vehicles to do this so far are the Acadia, Outlook, and Santa Fe. With all things equal to the CX-9, the Pacifica is $38k (but it has a moonroof included in that). Does that $5k include deals?
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    Pacifica has lousy mileage and requires PREMIUM fuel.

Freestyle is just a station wagon at this point.
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    Not true, 07xe. Pacifica 4.0 uses RUG. EPA is 16/22 for the CX-9 awd and 16/23 for the PAC awd. Also: rear headroom for both is listed as 39.4". As I said, the PAC is looking more interesting. FYI, my dealer, whom I've bought three other cars from over the years, offered $100 above invoice on the PAC. There's currently a $1500 rebate; I know it's been as high as $2500, btw. This brings a loaded Touring Signature in at about $5K less than the Mazda.

As I wrote: Hmmm...

Jay
  • fromsffromsf Member Posts: 19
    Remember PAC (Dodge/Chrsyler) has worst resale value and it's six seater if I am correct.
    "Actually, with all the same options, the Freestyle is just under $36k and doesn't include a premium stereo option, power liftgate, turn signals on the mirrors, etc."

The Limited includes the Audiophile stereo upgrade. I realize that the MSRP is as you state, but I have seen many people posting deals at 32K - or less - for a Limited FreeStyle. Many of the other brands are not available at a discount.

I get about 25 MPG on the freeway, 20 - 21 in town, and I have no problems with the performance. I would be rather shocked if any of the others got near this MPG.

To each his own, I suppose.
    "EPA is 16/22 for the CX-9 awd and 16/23 for the PAC awd. "

Not to compare performance, but that vehicle will yield you 14 MPG in town and 20 on the road. I get 20 / 25 on my Freestyle, with great room inside and performance that is fine (in my opinion) for a family vehicle.
    If people are getting those deals, you are still comparing apples and oranges. For most performance between these will be negligible, but it takes a lot more grunt from the engine to get the Freestyle moving. Audiophile? An aftermarket head unit has more wattage to 4 channels. Let's see the specs:

Freestyle 7 speakers 190 watts
    Veracruz 10 speakers 605 watts
    Acadia 10 speakers with 5.1 ? watts

I wouldn't be shocked if anyone got the EPA mileage if they'd keep their lead foot off of the accellerator. I've never had a problem getting the mileage out of any of the vehicles I've owned. The point is moot anyway because I need atleast 3000 lbs of towing for my lawnmover (heavy trailer, commercial zero turn mower). The current Freestyle can't do that, and frankly, I'm not impressed with the boxy wagon look. The Pacifica does the wagon/suv look much better.