Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Vibrations/Shimmy/Noises

hawks07hawks07 Member Posts: 1
I have 04 tacoma 4x4 and recently i've been feeling a vibration through the floor and a wheel hop sensation at 50mph.Also noticed when I lift off the accelerator it feels like its braking.Any ideas???

Comments

• 00taco00taco Member Posts: 3
    2000 taco, prernr 4cyl, usually when it's cold outside i get a loud, high pitched squealing noise coming from the rear end. it only happens when it's coasting and stops when i press on the accelerator. the volume also gets louder the faster it's coasting. never happens in warm weather. Any ideas?
  • solravesolrave Member Posts: 1
    Well nothing comes to mind. But you might want to try this. Some times noises can fool you into think their coming from some where their not, so start your car and when it starts to squeal throw it into park or neutral and rev the engine a couple times. If its squeals in park or nuetral then its your belts need tighting or your powersteering (both easy fixes). If not then i have no clue. Though if you're giving it gas and the sqeaking goes away I wouldn't be too worried cuz your drive train is fine. I got a squealy 2000 tacoma myself.
  • mysportmysport Member Posts: 19
    I just spent $400 on a U joint which was causing the sound you describe. It only happened when it was cold but got really load - performance wasn't effected. You should check it out. I have a 2002 Tacoma 4X4 6 cyl SRS.

Good luck. :shades:
  • blackngold19blackngold19 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2014
    Hi, just wondering if you figured what was the cause of your problem, because I'm expeiencing the same symptoms.

Thanks,

Blackie
  • toytacotoytaco Member Posts: 2
    I've had the exact same problem on my 1999 prerunner for a while now, and it seems to slowly be getting louder. Did you ever resolve it, and if so, what did you do. :confuse:
  • grlsi1grlsi1 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you found out what was causing the noise. I have the EXACT same problem with my 2000 Tacoma prerunner truck. It is absolutely coming from the back, I have no doubt about that.
  • newyorker2newyorker2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Honda Accord 2004 having under 25-K miles. For the last one week, I hear sqealing noise when I take an extreme left or right turn in my parking lot at LOW speed ~= 10 miles/hr.

I will really appreciate an advice.

Thanks.
  • toytacotoytaco Member Posts: 2
    It looks like there are others with the same problem. See link below. I have not tried it yet, but it might just be the zerk fittings need lubrication.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?s=d379bf4e09a8091b1b38eb7183- d9575c&t=55366
  • nelsonherenelsonhere Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Tacoma makes a high pitched noise when I drive faster than 70 mph. It's very annoying. It sounds like it's coming from the windsheild area. Any ideas? Similar complaints?
  • tonytgtbtonytgtb Member Posts: 2
    I bought an '07 double cab, 5 ft bed 1 month ago and just found a unbelievable problem with it and wonder if anyone else found this or is it just a terrible defect to my truck.

For the first time, I put the rear passenger windows down while driving and when the windows get about 1/4 of the way down, a horrible and unnerving, low frequency resonance vibration caused by the airflow around the cab started. The way I can describe it is if you've ever heard or seen on TV a show on the new non-lethal weapons the military is designing, they have one weapon that emits low freq vibrations that makes the target sick and very uncomfortable. This sound is what I think that weapon sounds like. It was a "whoop-whoop-whoop" sound w/ about 3-4 whoops per sec. The vibration was not only felt but hear and it hurt my ears and body because it had a very low freq, kind of like when those kids ride by in their cars w/ the pimped out bass woofers that you can feel in your chest and hear from a mile away. The front passenger seatback was vibrating so much that the headrest was moving back and forth about 1/4 in. I was doing 60 mph and tried putting down both windows, then each one individually and it still occurred. It starts about 1/4 of the way down and seemed to soften lighty (but still there) when completely down. It was loudest at about midway. I thought for sure I had the rear windows down before and never noticed. The only thing that may have changed the airflow that I can think of was that I had 4 small 80# bags of concrete in the bed, nothing that I think would cause major disruptions in the slipstream.

I can't believe that this would be a major oversight/design flaw that Toyota let go so I was wondering if anyone else noticed the same problem?
  • texhansontexhanson Member Posts: 3
    Yeah. Same problem. If you crack the passenger window it stops, so it makes me think it is something other than the wipers. Strangley enough it dosen't stop if you crack the driver's window...
  • teejay1xteejay1x Member Posts: 2
  • teejay1xteejay1x Member Posts: 2
    Hello,I have a 2001 tacoma 5 spd 4 cyl TRD. I had recently replaced one of the rear U-Joints because of vibration. Recently when I slow to a stop I can hear a clicking noise that goes away when the car stops. The clicks get further and further apart the slower the truck goes. Could this be the front U-joint? Also has anyone out there found a fix for the vibration behind the passenger side airbag? Any advice is appreciated. Thanx.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Check the seal around the windshield. If the rubber is too flexible, it will lift and then vibrate in the wind.
  • tonytgtbtonytgtb Member Posts: 2
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    What you are describing occurs with most vehicles on the road today.
  • jemmacjemmac Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Jeep Sahara Unlimited. Recently I had to have the windshield replaced because of a crack from a rock.

I went to a reputable glass place and had the windshield replaced.
    What I noticed after replacement was a high pitched noise (which sounds like a teapot coming to boil) at
    speeds between 30-45 MPH. I took the jeep back a week later
    and they replaced the windshield again.
    The results were the same only the speeds at which they occurred was 40-60 mph.
    As you know the windshield has no molding. Has anyone experienced this and found a reasonable solution?

:cry: john.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Since this is the Toyota Tacoma group, you probably want to post over in the Jeep Wrangler group for a faster response.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • gforcegforce Member Posts: 1
    Just had our 05 crewcab sport on a long road trip. Experienced a nasty noise @ 68 - 82mph depending on the head wind.
    This sounded like it was coming from behind the cd player, but I know it was wind / speed related.
    With a tail wind would not hear it at all (below 85mph). Wondering about air leaks at the firewall, or possible relationship to the non functional hood scoop.
    Will be dropping it off at Toyota this week to see what they say.
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    There is definitely a TSB on this. I'm having mine fixed at the dealer at some point soon when they can line up a glass guy. I think the problem is the rubber seal at the perimeter and they are going to replace it with a gasket with a slightly different profile.

The service guy told me "oh yeah, mine does that too" when I showed him a video of the noise at 65 mph in a 30 mph crosswind. Resorted to recording the noise on my digital camera when it became apparent that I was never going to be able to duplicate the noise here in town.
  • dspindspin Member Posts: 4
    Any one having Shimmy from new body 05-07 Tacoma?
    Mostly at 65mph with Steel rims 245/75r16 tires?
  • 650spx650spx Member Posts: 48
    I have heard that thay all have a slight vibration at that speed and it is normal.
  • ltmarltmar Member Posts: 45
    My '06 TRD Sport doesn't shimmy up to 90mph.
    the shimmy is more then slight tried balancing rfv matching the steering wheel
    moves back and forth at 65 the dealer has tried everything swapped wheels with alloy
    and larger tires seems to go away. From another taco they had in stock that was a TRD edition in reply to the other post those tires are bf goodrich and different size.
    Tried different brands of tires up to michellins vibration still there ??
  • ska61ska61 Member Posts: 3
    My 2007 Tacoma, V6, has a low "rumle" sounding noise at idle in gear and up to about 1200 RPM while driving. Sounds similar to an air box leak, any ideas? Thanks.
  • desertdog63desertdog63 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody get a cure for this problem?
    My 2007 Tacoma has a low "rumbling" noise while at idle and at 1100 rpm in high gear while moving. Does anyone know thwe cause. It also sounds like an air noise.
  • darylpdarylp Member Posts: 2
  • datovitsdatovits Member Posts: 5
    hey anybody hear clicking sounds from the engine? I hear clicking sounds from the right side of the engine when facing the engine from the front? could this need valve adjustment or is this normal? my truck is a 4x2 '07 double cab w/ only 700 miles. help! thanks.
    hey anybody hear clicking sounds from the engine? I hear clicking sounds from the right side of the engine when facing the engine from the front? could this just need valve adjustment or is this normal in every truck? my truck is a 4x2 '07 double cab brand new with just 700 miles. help! thanks.
  • trdman1trdman1 Member Posts: 1
    Well, I have a 2005 4.0l tacoma crew cab that has 59,000 miles and still ticks to this day. I have complained several times since owning the truck, and a service bulletin finally came out and they replaced the factory manifolds, which didn't solve the ticking issue. I'm finally glad to hear of another TRD owner who has noticed this issue. Good luck, and if you hear of anything drop us all a letter.
    TRDMAN1
  • marcusxmarcusx Member Posts: 22
    You're not the only ones with ticking issues. Check out this thread here on the Tacoma ticking issue.
  • fitter32fitter32 Member Posts: 1
    I have had to have the seal around my windshield replaced twice on my 05 Tacoma. I told the guy at the dealership that it was great that they were replacing it, but I told him I don't feel like bringing back every year for the same thing. Unfortunately since the toyota crew aren't the ones replacing the glass, they still dont know what the cause is...or so they say. So I just said "Alright, see you next year!" It's very frustrating that they won't just admit this is a problem.
  • nelsonherenelsonhere Member Posts: 2
  • tacoma_dirtetacoma_dirte Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 tacoma truck and whenever I turn on my turn signal it makes a horrible sounding loud annoying noise and I have to manually flick it up n down.........any idea why this is happening? :confuse:
  • brepeibrepei Member Posts: 10
    My 03 tacoma has 34k miles on it. I started feeling the vibration abot 5k mi. ago, at 40-55 mph. Thought it was coming from the front end but couldn't find anything loose.So I got new tires and still had the problem, only a little worse. Drove it a few k miles and had the tires rebalanced and checked for bad belts or any other problems, none showed up. Put rear on stands and turned rear wheels in drive to see if vibration was in rear of truck and it was there. So after replacing a questionable u-joint and having the drive shafts balanced the vibration still exists. I pulled the axle and checked the wheel bearings and they were fine. Still have the vibration and it seems more pronounced after eliminating anything which may be causing the problem. My next recourse probibly is the toyota dealer and some gigantic charge! Please help!
  • chayo79chayo79 Member Posts: 1
    hey I am having the same problem I just purchased a 08 4x2 double cab and it's making the same sound from the same side and mine has 186 miles I took it in and they said that they can't find what is making the noise but it is not normal :cry:
  • brepeibrepei Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone ever replaced the driveshaft cv joint on a tacoma 4X4? If so, what were your symptoms?What caused you to think your cv joint was your problem?thank ,Brepei.
  • burneallburneall Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Tacoma PreRunner has 36k miles on it. With the same problem. I bought new tires and made the problem worse. I just brought it home from the tire shop today. They reblanced the tires for the 4th time and looked everything over with a fine tooth comb and gave up. I feel it in the floor and steering wheel. The crazy thing is that it comes and goes. Please help number 2!
  • oldsmotionoldsmotion Member Posts: 1
    I have had this shake/vibration for over a year. In the last 2 weeks I installed new rotors, calipers, pads and rear drums. Today I got all four tires balanced. When I brake, the truck shakes real bad! I mean it's to the point where it's not safe to drive.The brake pedal does not pulsate. I know the rotors are not the problem. No leaks and no heat build-up.

I have had lots of trouble with the Goodyear tires. In fact all four were replaced under manufactures defect over 1 year ago. Since then, I have had this vibration and when I brake, you hear and feel the truck shake . Is there a method to test if the tires are bad?
  • geoffnelsongeoffnelson Member Posts: 2
    I've been having a rattle underneath the bed of my 2000 prerunner for the past few years, had the driveshaft replaced a couple years ago and seemed to go away, but now is back and seems much worse over the past few months... it seems to happen when the accelerator pedal is pressed just a bit but not too much and also now when you let off the accelerator pedal... that leads me to believe it deals with gears and/or rpm speeds... i've read numerous posts of the problem in this topic and the problems and solutions - read only group, but i have found no real solution within this discussion group. Can anyone please help me with my problem? It seems some people have just did this It'd be greatly appreciated. Anyone tried the below solution that had the problem? Thanks!

From another page: "If it only does it when you let off the gas while you're driving, then you definitely need to lube up the zerk fittings on your driveshaft like everyone else has stated. I had this same problem a few months ago and went everywhere to try and got the problem diagnosed, every place I went to could not replicate the noise. I got fed up and bought a grease gun at Autozone, lubed up all the zerk fittings, low and behold my noise went away."
  • chagasichagasi Member Posts: 7
    I had the identical problem on my 2000 Taco Prerunner. I too, thought it was brakes/rotors/calipers tires. They were all changed in the normal course of the vehicle, but it persisted. Before this shimmy ruined these, I had it looked at again, and it turned out to be a bad steering rack. (tie rod as well, but that comes with the rack). If you tool around on the forum, you will see this problem come up. It is becoming 'common' on 1998-2002 tacos. The rough idle when cold is pretty common too, most solutions are to move to completely synthetic oil Amsoil, as the idling seems to be that the oil bore holes in the engine are likely a bit too small.

Hope this helps.
  • nelz1nelz1 Member Posts: 1
    I have bought a new Tacoma v6 auto TRd sport quad cab and have been suffering from annoying driveline vibrations.
    The vibration has been there since I picked the truck up and is a low speed vibration when speeds are close to shifting especially at 20mph.

If your in the market for a Toyota be AWARE corporate will not justify fixing the problem if it is not a safety issue!!
    There respone is that it is a CHARACTERISTIC trait of the truck.
    Good Luck if you buy a Toyota and have a problem....
  • geoffnelsongeoffnelson Member Posts: 2
    Have you tried lubing the zerk fittings as people mention on this website? It's part of the every 30k recommended maintenance.
  • rko9869rko9869 Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: I have a 2007 double cab Tacoma and hear/feel a deep plastic sounding vibration under the hood when I first start my truck and put in reverse. Now I have noticed it vibrates at a steady speed of 40 mph. It seems to be the flexible hose from the air filter compartment to the fender well for freash air intake. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this annoying noise? It seems better when engine is out of the high idle state. Thanks
  • rko9869rko9869 Member Posts: 3
    It sounds like we are experiencing the same problem, we just described it a little different. Have you got any responses to your question on this? If you find out anything, please post or send me an e-mail to rko9869@yahoo.com. Thanks
  • tcladtclad Member Posts: 3
    I have 2008 Tacoma v6 TRD package 4X4 with same vibration (around 2000 RPM at any speed). Had truck for 3 months now. Reported problem before I had 20 miles on truck. Toyota says they are working on it, but also said it is characteristic triat. What can we do if they don't fix soon? Do Lemon laws apply if no safety issue? Is there a safety issue?