Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS Vibration

phelan34phelan34 Member Posts: 2
edited June 2014 in Lincoln
Has anyone had a vibration that could not be solved ??
I recently bought a 2006 LS. right off the bat i felt a vibration, Lincoln checked the tires for balance, tires OK, Vibe still there, Lincoln checked again, 1 wheel out of balance, Vibe still there, Brought the car to Michelin to check, all 4 wheels out of balance, Vibration still there. Went to a Ford Dealer instead of Lincoln, they found that the Drive shaft was balanced, but out of alignment. Fixed, Vibration still there. I need Help, I cant even do 65 down the freeway without my fillings falling out of my teeth. And apparently Ford and Lincoln have no clue. The car has only 12,000 miles on it. Any help would be apprecitate, Thanks, Tim

Comments

• heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    If Ford cant fix a 2006 with 12000 miles on it, make them buy it back.
  • patrickposeypatrickposey Member Posts: 8
    my ls use to run smooth at high speeds (like 100+) but now it shakes bad at those speeds anyone know what could it be?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Thrown wheel weight?

Tire bubble?

How long since you had the wheels balanced? How old are the tires?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    one tire blew out a rear driver side tire i got a use one and now that u mention it thats when that stuff started so it might be my tires thanks mister.
    I Went to one of them side tire shop i dont know if they even balance that one wheel and i have no clue how old the tires are
  • outrageous1outrageous1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Lincoln LS, been fighting steering vibration for over 1 1/2 years.

Have tried EVERYTHING........................ Can't get rid of it.
  • victor53victor53 Member Posts: 7
    My 2002 LS V8 had a vibration at all speeds but at 41 mph a fine distinct vibration developed that I could feel in the center consol and became worse as I reached 50 mph then slowly faded but never completely stopped. I figured the tries were worn so I replaced all four (OUCH). The fine vibration is more distinct now that the other vibrations are gone so I had the tires rebalanced, no luck, still vibrating. It’s in the shop, I’m having the driveshaft universal and carrier bearing replaced. I’ll keep you guys updated. Curious if anyone else is has had the same issue?
    Well, the verdict is in, it’s the universal joint. The shop said they can’t replace the joint. It will have to be a new complete drive shaft due to the way the universal joint caps are crimped into the shaft. The shop physically showed me the stiffness in the joint more than likely due to the lack of grease. These joints don’t have grease zerts. It will be around seven hundred dollars for the drive shaft not including shipping , it will take a week before they can get one in from Ford. My 2002 LS only has 62,000 miles on it, it’s been well cared for and kept out of the weather. I’m kind of surprised it didn’t last longer.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    That's the first I heard of U-joint problems, and I'm on other Lincoln and LS forums.
    Maybe it wasn't greased well from the factory? Wow, $700 for a driveshaft, but parts aren't cheap for these cars. Good luck.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Thanks, yea they are but I sure love getting behind the wheel of this machine and crusing at any speed.
  • whaleloverwhalelover Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 ls, 34,000 miles. Vibration just started in steering wheel in drive/reverse. A mystery to local dealers...could it be motor mounts? ideas to help trouble shoot?
  • whaleloverwhalelover Member Posts: 2
    Have developed same...does everything you have done include motor mounts?
  • golgi1golgi1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been fighting the exact same thing...originally it was around 70-75 mph and I would get a horrible vibration in the steering wheel. Balanced and rotated tires...no help. Had new tires put on and still doing it, but now its at several speeds. It's also intermittent. I've had some bad idling lately so I'm going to try the IAC. When I had the tires done, they said the rear tie rods were also worn and needed replaced. I guess I could get some alignment vibration from that, but not sure. Plus, it's intermittent...weird. Any suggestions? Has anyone fixed this issue?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Try balancing the driveshaft.
  • bobcarnobobcarno Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 LS V6. I have absolutely loved this vehicle except for the COP problems inherent with this engine, and the vibration between 40 and 47 mph. A ford dealer finally put a vibration sensing until on each fender and registered the vibration frequency. Fed this information into a computer program and said it was either the rubber U-joints or drive shaft. They replaced the U-joints, nada, then they replaced the drive shaft and voila!! But, the vibration never really completely went away. It is now tolerable. Such an amazing car with such great handling and it has to have these problems.
    I agree, I love driving this car the only thing is the vibration and the in dash six CD changer. It inserted the number five disk into the already occupied number four slot double stacking them instead of ejecting it as it was supposed to. Everything else is as you say, amazing. I plan to replace the driveshaft in the spring.
  • isaac350lsisaac350ls Member Posts: 1
    my ls was doing the same vibration from 40 to 50 , it was just the strut, now it doesn't do it any more , so check your struts, you just might need some new ones
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Actually they're coil over shocks, not Macpherson struts. Even though the Ford parts book calls them struts for some reason. Unless you're going for max performance with an adjustable racing shock, you're better off sticking with the OEM shocks.
This discussion has been closed.