Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Grand Cherokee A/C Heating Ventilation

Comments

• Options
    swamprat2007swamprat2007 Member Posts: 3
    Glad to know I'm not the only Cherokee owner having this problem. After talking to several Jeep Dealerships and about a half dozen shade tree mechanics, they had me convinced I was the only Jeep owner in the world to ever had had this problem. Still no solutions to date. Guess the only cure to the problem is a very, very loud radio.
  • Options
    skippytcgskippytcg Member Posts: 10
    I was in another forum and they said there is a relay located by the passenger headlamp. they said it is a little bit of a pain to get to but that may help.
  • Options
    tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
  • Options
    spider16spider16 Member Posts: 2
    That is the secret. The fan relay is located under the passenger headlight. i just replaced mine . Problem solved. The trick is you must remove the headlight then cut about a 3 inch round hole in the shroud under the light to access the relay. The engineers strike again.Just use a hole saw and you can leave the hole open after finished.If you need more info contact me.
  • Options
    tsfromtxtsfromtx Member Posts: 7
    My '07 GC, with manual a/c, has a strange problem. Air is icy cold, but back it off by a single click of the temperature dial and hot air is instantly dumped into the mix. It's full-cold or not-at-all-cold - no inbetween. The dealer has discussed with Chrysler who says the unit is working as designed. Testing other identical GCs on the dealer lot, this turns out to be true. Anybody else experiencing this discomfort? Any ideas?
  • Options
    offroadpepoffroadpep Member Posts: 11
    03 JGC Tire pressure sensor "BAD/MISSING"???
    A Tip from the Old Man.........
    Oh Boy........... :) Check our owners Manuel, or pick up a service manual on your JGC at any good book or auto parts store. Or if you can find one with the seal off, read it there in the store. :>)
    I sure that you can disable it. All four pressure sensors will quit eventually any way. You can also disable the seat belt ding, ding, if you so desire. But you may have to check your tire pressure manually once in a wile.

07 GC A/C issue
    Another Tip from the Old Man.............
    If that’s the way it is................ “It's full-cold or not-at-all-cold - no inbetween.”
    Just turn the fan speed up and down to regulate the temp in the car. :cry:
    But I sure that’s not the way it should work, see another Dealer / or Mechanic.
    Good Luck to you both.
    Cactus “PEP” :>)
  • Options
    bbernanderbbernander Member Posts: 6
  • Options
    kzoojeepkzoojeep Member Posts: 1
    Easy fix it's the fan relaycontrol module(AKA relay) behind the front bumper on the passenger side. very common problem the hardest part is getting to it, you have to remove the front bumper to do the repair.
  • Options
    offroadpepoffroadpep Member Posts: 11
    Go here:
    http://www.autoacforum.com/categories.cfm?catid=20

Some of the best Auto A/C Techs in the country hang out here, and are glad to help anyone.
    All you have to do is ask.
    And the info is free.
    Good Luck to you all.
  • Options
    graypopgraypop Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 Jeep Cherokee Sport and a few days ago the air conditioning started blowing warm air. The car place I took it to said there was no freon so they put in freon, charged it, and put in dye to look for leaks. The air conditioning started blowing cool air again. Then they checked my Jeep again later and couldn't find the dye leaking anywhere. I checked with my black light at home and couldn't find any dye leaks either. The next thing they did was they got out a sniffer and the sensor went off near a hose from the evaporator. They could not get the sniffer in the air vents inside the car to make 100% sure that it's the evaporator core. But they say my Jeep is leaking freon and that the evaporator core needs to be replaced to the tune of $800+ (parts & labor). They told me this about 2 weeks ago BUT my air conditioning is still blowing very cool air and it's 90 degrees right now where I live. I don't understand how the air conditioning could be blowing cool air if it's leaking freon? Is it possible that a Jeep needs freon after 6 years? I have about 40K on the car, don't drive it that much. Can anybody help? Thanks.
  • Options
    could have seaped around the compressor seal and when you recharged it sealed up again
    as for getting reading from vents be a sell for evap coil?
    if it works leave it alone till it don't work
  • Options
    annamialannamial Member Posts: 1
    WHEN I FIRST GOT MY '92 JEEP CHEROKEE THE FREON LEAKED, I CHARGED IT ONCE A YEAR FOR THE LAST 3YRS, IT WORKED FINE . NOW, I REPLACED THE COMPRESSOR AND IT ONLY BLOWS COLD @ HIGH RPM. I RUN A MAIL RT LOW SPEED IN TEXAS, IT WAS 95 TODAY AND SUMMER HAS'NT STARTED. I CANT BELIEVE I SPENT $ 850 AND IAM STILL BURNING UP! NEED TO FIND AWAY TO MAKE THE COMPRESSOR WORK @ LOW RPM WITH HIGH TEMP AND WITH ACCESSORIES I.E. INTERIOR FAN AND
    SAFETY LIGHTS, ETC. THE REPAIR GUY, NO HELP!
  • Options
    ghcjrghcjr Member Posts: 1
    I have a friend with a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. A/C will work for a while and then cut out. Turn it off for a while and try later and it will work. Today it worked on a trip for 3 hours before cutting out. The other day it worked 15mins before cutting out. Shop checked Freon and did leak test.. Nothing wrong there. Any ideas??

Thanks.
  • Options
    di1968di1968 Member Posts: 1
    Hi TS -
    I am hoping you will check back here for my reply; even though it's been over a month since you've posted ... I am experiencing the same exact problem and have brought my car in twice-- and I have gotten the same reply from the Jeep dealer mechanics: It's working within the correct percentages, etc. and I cannot have it fixed to my satisfaction. Yes, so my question is: Now what?! I am so aggravated, as this is my third Jeep in 10 years and my first major problem ... The A/C in my '95 Jeep ( which I still own w/ 200,000 miles on it ) runs ice cold .. all the time. I would LOVE other people w/ this problem to posta reply as well (so I know we werent the only two w/ a 'bad batch) and of course,to contact Chrysler w/ this complaint and possibly petition a recall. :lemon: I cannot even drive my car the next few days in this heatwave - I'm taking the '95. It's absolutely ridiculous!
  • Options
    what temp are you getting on the temp meter

could have intermit elect fan
  • Options
    paulskpaulsk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Jeep grand cherokee limited edition that the air conditioner line has cloged and is leeking water inside on the front passenger floor. Tried to find the drain exit port to try and unclog and can't find it. Help please my rug is soaking wet! Where is the exit drain located and what is the best way to unclog.
    Thanks
  • Options
    xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    This is a common problem with this vehicle and if you search "ac drain" you will find a lot of posts on it. The reason you can't find the exit port is that it is located inside the frame rail and really can only be reached from inside the vehicle. If you look on the firewall inside the Jeep on the passenger side right about where the carpet ends under the dash you will see a round black plastic piece with a section going straight up and another section going at an angle up towards the center dash of the Jeep. This is the drain. Drill a quarter inch hole right in the middle of the round piece from inside the Jeep and you will be able to clean all the drain channels with a wire from this point. Plug the hole with a rubber plug when you are done. If you find it still leaks some after you are done, Wal-Mart sells a putty in their hardware section that is called quiksteel. Knead the putty till it is well mixed and then encase the round area in it making sure to get a good ample bond to the metal firewall as well. That should fix your problem.
  • Options
    cdt785cdt785 Member Posts: 1
    Hi.Does anyone have any ideal what the froen pressure for the airconditioning system on a 2003 jeep should be?My air is slightly cool at best.Thanks
  • Options
    straightshootestraightshoote Member Posts: 1
    Our 1998 Grand Cherokee has the same problem. Sometimes the a/c will run for hours and sometimes only minutes before cutting out. I have to wait a while before it will start working again. Have you found a solution to your problem?
  • Options
    jamiem908jamiem908 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 jeep, when i turn the ac or heat on the blower fan is working but nothing comes out of any of the vent. I can run through all of the dial selections but nothing any where. Any one no what this might be caused from?
  • Options
    magor vacuem leak
    vents controled by vacuem
  • Options
    pdieguezpdieguez Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 Jeep Cherokee limited edition with 45,000 miles and the air conditioner compressor seems to go on and off, it does not stay on long enough to cool,the mechanic recharged the system but it did not help,I see a few posting with the same problem, has anybody figuered out how to fix this?
  • Options
    opiek33opiek33 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Jeep grand Cherokee Limited, My air conditioner fan quit working. It was kicking on and off i thought it was a thermostat but now it went off and will not come back on, the gauges light up and the ac button lights up and gets cold, i can feel cold air coming out when i go down the road form the air being forced through it but the fan will not blow. I checked my fuses there is a couple that will not light up with a light tester but when i take them out to check them they look good, but i replaced them anyways just to be safe and they still wont light up with the light tester although the fuses are brand new and my a/c fan still wont work do you have any idea what this could be? I am lost i really dont know what to try next.

Thanks Derrick Keel
  • Options
    there is a resistor mounted by the fan that could have burned out
    look on passenger side right by fan moter should be 2 screews that have 5 6 wires pluged into it had to replace mine once fan only on high worth looking in to
  • Options
    swamprat2007swamprat2007 Member Posts: 3
  • Options
    pdieguezpdieguez Member Posts: 2
    On July 12 I posted a message about my 2001 Jeep Cherokee with air conditioner compressor problem ,compressor cycling on and off but not cooling, I decided to do some testing of my own, I just had the system recharge a few months ago, my first test was to unplug the connector to the clutch and wire it directly to the battery, the clutch worked fine so that eliminated it as a source of trouble, my next test was to check the pressure switch mounted on the dryer ,I removed the plug and shorted the contacts and that made the clutch work ,I assumed that maybe the switch was defective as I proceeded to remove it I notice that it was not tight, I remove it and also check the O ring on the conector,and reinstalled the switch, still had the same problem , my next step was to add freon and it worked, it was probably loosing freon tru the loose connection on the pressure switch, I did not think I was loosing freon since the unit was charged recently. I hope this can help others with similar problems
  • Options
    tkrietkrie Member Posts: 3
    The connector to the fan motor on my 1999 Jeep was worn out and not getting good contact. I replaced it and it has been working great.
  • Options
    tkrietkrie Member Posts: 3
    Check the connector to the fan motor for burned contacts. If so, replace the connector.
  • Options
    pgjeeppgjeep Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 cherokee sport, 4wd,with the bigger engine. Everytime I turn on the air conditioner, or even the vent. It makes a screaming sound like I need a new fan belt, but I don't. It also makes the screaching noise (sometimes when I start the jeep) but not all the time, unless it's cold out, then it does it all the time. the fan belt starts sqeeling, like I need a new fan belt but it is new and I also have a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, and have had the fan belt checked to make sure it was on correctly, and it is. What else can it be? I was told possibly the ac compressor, or maybe the pulleys. SOMEONE PLZ help me.
  • Options
    curt587curt587 Member Posts: 4
    My 96 JGC Laredo A/C will blow air when it is idling or traveling on level road but if I accelerate or go up a hill the blower changes from face to the windshield vent. Once I let up on the gas, the blower goes back to normal. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    vacuem leak check the rubber hose that goes to the front pass side by bumper has storage tank there and poss have crack in hose (check all vac hoses when you are at it)
  • Options
    unekgalunekgal Member Posts: 15
    OK, so my grandpa is an AC man (for homes) and is pretty good with these things. We detected a leak in my condenser coil, so I recently installed a new one, although had to cut some corners with $$ because it was expensive. We didn't replace the hoses because they looked like-new, but didn't know how to connect the 2 ends, so we attempted some type of JB weld which was a bad idea because it could not hold that much pressure.

What do I use? The parts can't be welded can they? saudered? Any advise would be appreciated.

While on that subject, I was looking to see how others fixed their AC and noticed something about an evaporator coil which is under the dash somewhere (passenger side floor).

I have no idea where this is, but a few months ago (and no my AC was not working prior to this), it hasn't since I bought it in 2000. Anyway, a few months ago, I noticed some oily substance on my rubber floor mats and the floor seemed really wet, but didn't have a smell. Is this evap coil related?

Oh yeah, and I don't know if this is related or not, but during the winter months when I am running the heat, there is this buzz noise that comes from the vents almost like something is stuck in them or the fan stopped turning, but it is REALLY loud???
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to have a look at Grand cherokee air conditioning problems.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    unekgalunekgal Member Posts: 15
  • Options
    Hi di1968 - Sorry it took me so long to catch your reply. I'm still fighting with Chrysler. Two dealerships agree it's a problem, but can't do anything because Chrysler refuses to cooperate in any way. You can help by complaining to their customer service, & referring to my case, # 16335305. If you know anybody else with this problem, please ask them to do the same. If enough complaints get logged, they'll be forced to act. Thanks. TS
  • Options
    wesbuck4wesbuck4 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2001 Cherokee Sport automatic with 102k miles on it (of course warranty runs out a week before problems begin.) Anyway, my AC was working fine, and all of a sudden, if I would let off of the throttle, the vents would begin to blow uncooled air. Not hot, just not cold. I would have to shut the AC off for about 10 minutes, then turn it on, before cool air would come out, but then if I slowed down, it would blow warm air again. I noticed the AC clutch would engage and disengage fine for about 10 minutes, then would not engage again, until I shut the car off and restarted it.

Along with this problem, if I drive with the AC on, I begin to idle really low, and have stalled at stop lights. So I've been driving without AC to stop the stalling. Now I am beginning to get some idle issues when I sit still or slow down with the AC off, where the engine will rev high, and then so low it stalls.

I have checked all connections, and fuses, and the freon levels are fine. My father in law is a mechanic by trade, but couldn't tell me what was wrong without a computer. We bought a test light, and checked all the wiring.

I would assume the 2 issues are connected? Has anyone had this problem, and can give me some insight before I take it to my mechanic and have him charge me out the rear to see what's wrong?

Potentially a bad AC clutch or compressor? Thanks in advance for any help or guidance
  • Options
    what engine? poss be a bad thottle possion sencer has everything to do with engine rpm and idel (send signal to computer so computer can control gas and stuff)
  • Options
    4.0L
  • Options
    4.0L Sport, and would that sensor have any effect on the AC?
  • Options
    when you turn on ac send signel th senser and throt motor so will idel faster
    if senser is bad will not send good sig to computer goofs up timing
    fuel delivery
    idle speed
    ac clutch function
    wide open tho fuel delivery
    etc
    all controled by pcm
  • Options
    donzadonza Member Posts: 1
    NO, I just took my 07 Jeep in for the same issue. I was told the exact same thing as you. I just got out of a 05' jeep and the a/c cooled good. I am very disappointed with this ones a/c. It will not cool unless you have it on max and temp all the way. move one notch and it does not cool the vehicle. Dealership said this is normal. I do not buy that. I am going to contact Chrysler about this problem.
  • Options
    Yesterday I replaced the TPS and recharged the AC. My Car ran great yesterday, no hiccups, and the AC ran fine. I drove to work this morning (about 40 miles) and car ran great. On my way home though, the Jeep flickered off, like it had no electrical signal, then came back on. Then my voltmeter went all the way to the top (it's always in the middle) my check gauges light came on, and my ABS light came on.

I stopped the car and turned it off. When I went to restart it, I got nothing. No turn or anything. So I unplugged the battery to reset the computer, and the car started right back up, and I had no problems the rest of the way home, or the few other trips I've made since.

Obviously I have an electrical problem, unless the computer was still trying to read the new sensor, and had a quick malfunction. I took my battery to Autozone and had it tested, and it tested fine.

Is this common after replacing a throttle position sensor?
  • Options
  • Options
    maybe when you replaced the tps you did not get the batt cables tight
    make sure the post are clean
    how old is the batt if two or three years old i have foond that i change when that old heat in az does them in will start and then let you down jump and will start and start then let you down when you realey need it
  • Options
    Hi, Donza - Please be sure to reference my Chrysler case number - # 16335305 - when you call in. Maybe we can finally get some heat on them and out of our Jeeps. Be prepared for the worst. Rude rules at their care center; when I asked to speak to a manager, I was hung up on. This is all documented, by the way. I'm prepping to invoke the Texas Lemon Law if necessary.
  • Options
    navy911navy911 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1997 laredo grand jeep cherokee. The problem is that no cold air is coming out from the front vents. I get cold air coming only from the floor vents. Has anyone had this problem in their jeep and were you able to fix it.
  • Options
    jeepowner55jeepowner55 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    hughsey191hughsey191 Member Posts: 1
    Did some research and went and checked to see if the blower motor Resistor Harness was faulty. I found that it was just loose since it is in a place where a passenger can jar it loose by kicking it. That fixed the problem for me.
  • Options
    digipixeldigipixel Member Posts: 1
    I have read several of the discussions regarding the well-known HVAC "blend door" problem on various models of Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am now having that problem on my 2002 JGC Overland and the repair estimates range between $900 to $1200. Most of the expense, it seems, is the labor because you must remove the dashboard and instrument panel to get to the blend door actuators to repair/replace them.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum would know how to go about rigging a "manual" control for the blend door(s). Especially if that could be done without removing the entire instrument panel. I was thinking about a control much like an old push-pull manual choke on a carburetor -- just something to open and close the blend doors (if they're not cracked) to control the heat and air. Would something like that work?
  • Options
    wizbcoolwizbcool Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem that sounds like a vacuum problem. I have a 200 JGC Laredo. The air will not change from front defrost no matter the position on the dial. How do I gain access to the vacuum lines? Are they in the dash?

Thanks.