Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Passport Electrical Problems

Comments

• andrewh_caandrewh_ca Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone could help solve my problem.
    My 1995 Honda Passport tail lights and dashboard lights are not working properly. Whenever I insert a new 10a fuse the lights come on momentarily but then very quickly blow.
    Could anyone steer me in the right directions. This did not always happen, so i'm a little confused.
  • stype3stype3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a'98 Honda Passport, and the headlights have stopped working. The high beams still work though. I replaced the headlights fuse, with no change. Can anyone help shed some light on this, PLEASE?! :confuse:
  • chichimommachichimomma Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Honda Passport is doing the same thing as yours. It wont crank and the windows,door locks, interior lights,radio and fan blower do not work.
    The dash, horn and headlights do work.
    Did you ever find out what was going on with the car?
    Does anyone have any advice?
  • 97passport97passport Member Posts: 1
    It sounds like you need a new alternator. My passport did the same thing a few years back, after replacing the alternator, the problem was solved. Good luck!
  • favenfaven Member Posts: 1
    The trans dipstick for my '95 Passport EX is missing. I'm using a universal dipstick, but I believe it is incorrect. Could someone PLEASE email me the distance from the top of their dipstick (measure from underneath the cap) to the "H" mark and also the distance from "H" to "C"? My transmission has me stranded (no power) and I need to eliminate this possibility first.

Many thanx,
    fav
  • ctullosctullos Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Honda Passport. When trying to start the car for the first time every day, engine turns over but car will not start. There is a faint gas smell from engine. If I let the car sit for 10 minutes, it will start normally and perform as intended.
  • robertrr1965robertrr1965 Member Posts: 1
    I have 1995 Honda Passport 4x4 that I just bought. Overall I am happy with it except no heat comes out of the vents even though the fan is working at all speeds. Temp. gauge is at 1/3 and stays there when engine has run for 5-10 minutes.

Other problem, probable completely unrelated, is dash lights and tail lights don't work. Head lights, stop lights, turn indicators, etc work fine.

THANKS in advance for your help.
  • nobody_u_knownobody_u_know Member Posts: 1
    Concerning your dash and tail lights it's the relay behind the kick panel on the drivers side under the dash, there are three of them I don't remember which one it is.
    I think the horn relay is the same which is under the hood can be used as a replacement till you can order a new one if you need your lights to work.

I have the same problem with the heater which I have yet to solve.
  • 99passprt99passprt Member Posts: 1
    My 99 passport was doing same thing upon checking wiring to fuse box i found many wires shorted and now in need of wiring diagram and possible wiring harness to return car to good working shape. afraid of possible car fire. :confuse:
  • josh40josh40 Member Posts: 13
    i have a 95 honda passport that every time you crank it it blows the fuel pump fuse and it's the only fuse it blows. i removed the wiring harness from floor board to pump and found no problems with wires and cranked it with the harness unhooked and it didn't blow the fuse ran a jumper wire to it and cranked it and it blew again. removed fuel tank ran pump off seperate power supply and ran fine. but once back in vehicle it blows the fuse any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • ziggykziggyk Member Posts: 1
    i recently bought my 96 passport, and am expiriencing some frustrating,expensive problems of a persistent recurring nature.....The erratic idle,hesitation,and stalling.I have had to replace just about every engine management control device under the hood.......started with the EGR,then came the IAC, the MAP,theTPS and finally the MAF, The check engine light came on and the codes list grew, after replacing all these things, (the only part that wasnt replaced new was the MAF,now i have the check engine light back on and all the symptoms have resumed.....Ive read a few of the threads, and it seems this is a common malady,with answers that indicate ground issues,however the only ground strap that ive noticed an issue with is the passenger valve cover to fender, and im not expiriencing any of the usual symptoms of serious ground faults(stereo whine,irregular voltages,or corrosion at major electrical junctions/connections) so if anyone has some advice (besides getting rid of this truck),please do reply,as any insight is greatly appreciated. Also I had the 4wd actuation system completely go out and had to replace the solenoids,and vacuum acutator,and all vacuum hoses,it works great now, but the indicator light stays illuminated constantly, (which Ive learned to ignore),i thought that was a ground issue,but ive traced all the wires and have found nothing that is lacking integrity,Otherwise this is a great riding/handling truck,that is quite comfortable
  • scottponyscottpony Member Posts: 1
    2000 Honda Passport. Having electrical/transmission trouble, and wonder if the two may be related. Have performed voltage test on battery and alternator and get 12V when off on battery, and 11.6V when running. From what I've read that means faulty alternator, though I have cleaned alternator connection (got 14V for a while, but no longer). Anyway, could transmission problems be related to alternator issues? Could the voltage regulator be the culprit? Bad ground? I have seen a lot of good posts on this site regarding these issues, but haven't seen too much with transmission problems (and it has been flushed recently). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • steve297steve297 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 2001 passport V6. when the headlights are on, the drivers side turn signal stays on. I replaced the turn signal and stop lights on that side, no change. Now, when I turn on the driver side blinker...every light blinks, even the license plate lights...can anyone help?
  • cj9113cj9113 Member Posts: 3
    I am so glad that I found this web page cause it saved me a lot of money. I had the same problem and when i read your problem i went and got the relay and yes that was my problem also. Thank you, Thank you
  • gauchuotgauchuot Member Posts: 1
    [[[[[[[[[[[#65 of 66
    weird light/electrical problem by steve297
    Feb 28, 2010 (4:44 pm)

Hello, I have a 2001 passport V6. when the headlights are on, the drivers side turn signal stays on...... ...can anyone help?]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

;)

Have anyone have an answer to this issue... I have the same problem...
  • cj9113cj9113 Member Posts: 3
    My 96 honda passport lighter will not work, I have changed the fuse but it still will not work. Can anyone tell me what else can be wrong with it
  • fawkabrdfawkabrd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 honda passport its when i put it in drive it wont shift out of 1st..i can manually shift it it works fine. Had the tranny rebuilt and the guy said the wire that goes to the solenoids should be hot when the key is on.. its not..i checked it at the pcm and its not hot there either..tryed a different computer same thing.. any ideas.. thanks alot Darrin
  • shekire4shekire4 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 97 Honda Passport I just had a alternator put in.But, my battery and brake lights are still on.I drove it yesterday and it drove fine.But,today my battery wasn't keeping a charge.My battery was staying below 12 volts.Idrove it for a little bit this morning.When I got back home the battery was real low.After I turned it off I tryed to crank it back up.But the battery was too low.After I let it set for awhile I was able to crank it up.But, the battery is still below 12 volts.I have a new battery so I know it is not the battery.The alternator I got at Advanced Auto Parts.I found out it is a remanfactored alternator.I hope someone can help me out.
  • ryanbill31ryanbill31 Member Posts: 3
    not sure if this will help at all....but i had an old mini-van that did same thing as ur describing...as far as the heater goes. On the firewall, inside the vehicle under the dash there is a slider thingy that engages as u change the heater settings. The part that connected it to the heat controls was snapped off....i replaced it and the heat came out from all the vents. Good Luck
    I need to change my bank2 sensor 1 on my 97 Honda passport. Could anyone tell me where I can find this oxgyen sensor.
    edited July 2010
    My brake light and rear abs are on but my brakes seem fine.Can anyone till me what could cause this please. I have a 97 Honda Passport.
  • mark260mark260 Member Posts: 2
    While on vacation with my 96 Honda passport I ran into some road flooding. The check transmission light came on and the car suddenly stalled out. I quickly was able to restart and the check transmission light went off. I just thought a plug wire got wet resulting in the stalling. After restarting, the AC and the blower motor stopped working. All the fuses and the relays are dry and seem good. I have a long 6 hour drive in plus 90 degree weather with 3 kids tomorrow, if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Mark
  • robinrobinrobinrobin Member Posts: 1
    I see this is an old message but this happened to me also. the back window worked but couldnt get the front drivers side to roll up. My boss checked the battery and it had some corrosion on it. cleaned it off and the window rolled right up!!
  • mark260mark260 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for getting back, but the issue was already taken care of. It turned out to be the alternator. The car died on the way home from my vacation. Thank God it happened right in front of a car garage. The garage was closed but the owner was working on his own car and was nice enough to help me and my family out. He was a great guy! After he change it out the car ran great and the air conditioning worked again. Thanks again for getting back to me.
  • tjgsmithtjgsmith Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 passport has an electical problem of lights randomly working. Now the heater/ac fan won't work and I think it may be connected? Anyone know how to make the fan start working again? The heat/ac works fine.
  • ltroyerltroyer Member Posts: 1
    my license plate light is not working on my 94 passport. i've changed the bulb,checked the fuse and the wiring underneath and can't find the problem. i'm sure it's something simple because all the other lights work. any ideas?
  • mike2901mike2901 Member Posts: 2
    Same problem with my 2002 passport. It was a short in the wire harness behind the dashboard. Had to take the dash off. Two bolts from the stearing column had rubbed through the wire harness.
  • mike2901mike2901 Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Passport did the same thing. For me it was the bottom quick connect on the passenger side (right foot) behind the kick plate. The large white wire is the power in. It runs over to the fuse panel, but their is a splice behind the heater/radio in the main wire harness.
  • richthegeekrichthegeek Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issue with my 96 Passport: the battery, brake, and 4WD lights came on and then a bit later the heater quit working. The problem is in the electrical system - either the battery, the battery cable, or the alternator.
    The easiest way to see if your battery is OK is to take your car to a reputable car parts store - they've got the equipment to check the health of the battery.
    Once you've verified or replaced the battery, check out the alternator by removing the battery cable while the engine is running. The alternator should have plenty of power to run the car, the lights, and the heater. If it dies right away, then you need to replace or repair the alternator.
    The alternator is fairly straightforward to remove - there is one bolt at the top and a bolt/tensioning screw assembly at the bottom. Remove the battery first so that you have more room. Loosen the lower bolt and then backout the tensioning screw to relieve the tension on the belt. Then remove the two bolts. The alternater should slide out with a bit of coaxing. Remove the connector and ground strap then pull the alternator out. Replace with new alternator in the reverse order as above. Note that the bolts are metrice, so use the appropriate wrenches.
    Good luck.
    Rich
  • aziz34758aziz34758 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a used 2000 Passport with an unusual problem. It drives very good most of the time, on problem days it starts by idling high, stopping becomes harder, I have to hit the brake harder for it to stop, the vehicle makes 3 attempts to lurch forward from a stopped position with the transmission in drive and my foot hard on the brake pedal then the engine dies, the Brake, Engine and Transmission lights comes on while this is happening. I put it in park and restart, all the lights go out except the Engine light which stays on for about 15 minutes then goes out. Putting the transmission in drive causes the vehicle to jerk a couple of times before it drives OK. When I stop again the process repeat its self. Its difficult driving in heavy traffic, the engine would stall a lot. Funny thing is I took it to Auto Zone and no code showing up when they checked. I bought it used from a Honda dealer who now tells me they don`t have the special tools required to service it and that I should take it to Isuzu, Isuzu tells me that it is probably the Computer and they can`t service it.
    I am now between a rock and a hard place, how can I resolve this? Any ideas?
  • konrad1konrad1 Member Posts: 2
    i bought a 95 honda passport 5 speed and would have probs with it when it would rain,carwash etc. I knew i had something getting wet but i had no clue what.Engine light would come on couldnt hold it at certain speeds and cruise and back up light s wouldnt work.I almost gave up on it until one day i was changing the oil and noticed the wiring was pinched in the steering knuckle.I opened the casing surrounding the wires and seen they were some if not all damaged and severd off i fixed the wires and everyting worked great.I just wanted passport owners to be aware of this as it might be a reoccurring prob
  • konrad1konrad1 Member Posts: 2
    if u have a trailer plug, might want to check it for a loose or broken ground or broken wires?
  • mysticbuckmysticbuck Member Posts: 5
    Hi. I was wondering if you ever figured out the "check engine" light problem? I have a 1994 Passport and it just started doing the same thing about 2 months ago and I don't know where to start checking for the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bill
    My 97 Honda Passport dim lights won't come on but.the bright lights do come on.
    I feel like there is a short somewhere Can someone tell me what I need to do.
  • misael_numisael_nu Member Posts: 1
    my passport doesnt start, it will crank that's all, i checked the spark plugs, the main relay, all the fuses, there is gas injection, the injector are working i checked them with a led, don't know what else to do, i haven;t check the grounds yet any help would be very appreciated thanks
  • mysticbuckmysticbuck Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    Not sure this will help but hope it will. I was driving my 94 Passport and it died just like if you were to shut the key off. All it would do was crank and crank and crank. At first I thought a fuel pump problem but I could hear the pump kick in when I turned the key. I changed all the plugs and coil packs, and wires, checked all the relays, fuses and all the grounds. It turned out to be the module that the coil packs sit on. I was lucky enough to have a auto parts store let me try a new module before purchasing it to make sure it was it. As soon as I turned the key, it started right up. I'm not saying that is was is wrong with yours, but I would check that. Hopefully this helps with your troubles. Good luck. The other problem I had in a similar way was the coil packs kept burning out. That was the voltage regulator that is built into the alternator. Had to replace the alternator. Good luck and let me know what you figure out.
  • joperrinjoperrin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Honda Passport with 140,000mi and about a month ago the check transmission light would come on seemingly at random. It would come on only for about 1 second then turn off, when it came on the trans would usually make a really hard shift if I was accelerating and sometimes it would feel like I would lose power. Took it to Aamco and they could not re create the problem and the computer did not throw any codes. Lately the problem has been getting worse, now the cruse control light and check engine light come on as well and it seems to happen more when I hit a bump or rough patch of road. The lights still only stay on for about 5 seconds at the most, but whereas before this was only happening about once a week now happens sometimes as much as every few minutes that im driving. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Josh
  • biglew1biglew1 Member Posts: 1
    My son has a 2000 Honda Passport and I replace the brake light switch but when i depress the brake pedal the fuse blow out which keep the vehicle from going into gear when i start the car. The Honda dealer said it was a Electronic Control Module and replace it but it continue to do the same thing.
    Is there anyone out there have a solution to my problem?
    Help
  • morbiddiariesmorbiddiaries Member Posts: 2
    Car was running fine. I installed a new radio and finished getting dash back together and now the dash light always says I am in 3 regardless of where I put shifter. The car will sluggishly go forward in D 1 2 or 3 and up a hill forget it. It drives fine in L and R. I would think the electrical position sensor and wiring to be at the shifter which wasn't touched during radio install. I can't figure out why the car wont go anymore as it hasn't been driven during the install and was working fine beforehand.
  • morbiddiariesmorbiddiaries Member Posts: 2
    Wait... I forgot something. I changed starter in this down time. Is there something I may have done under car to cause this?
  • losingitbyminlosingitbymin Member Posts: 2
    Mine did the same thing. I took it in and there tryin to tell me its the computer. But Honda doesnt hold the software anymore to get it flashed for the security system. Its a total headache. I dont know what to do bout it. Thought bout writing Honda. Hate to junk it I still owe on it. I can get a computer for it but wont work with my security and will need to be flashed.
  • inmudeelsareinmudeelsare Member Posts: 1
    The car quit running. Wife called for help and, while she was on the phone, she was able to restart the engine. When she arrived home I found the battery light in the dash was on. After some preliminary checking I thought it had to be the alternator (225,000 miles) and installed a new one.
    After installation, the battery light remains on and the voltage at the positive battery terminal does not detect a charge being provided.
    What is the most detected problem for this condition?
  • james239james239 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Hello,

I have a 1999 Honda Passport that just died and the fuel pump was not working so i replaced it. The vehicle will not start now it will for a mirco second and then it dies........I am at my wits end with this all it wants to do it crank and crank and crank. All this to say what was it exactly that you bought and installed which made it work? Mine has 6 individual coil packs. Any help you might have would be great thank you !!!!!!!!!!!
  • gdogggdogg Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 passport that is doing the same thing as yours, I was wondering if you found a solution?
  • gdogggdogg Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 passport dies at random. Just before it dies, the transmission light and cruise control lights come on. It doesn't give a trouble code when this happens. I've replaced the battery, spark plugs, crankshaft position sensor and the fuel pump. I have also cheched all of the wiring harness conections under the steering wheel and next to the drivers side fuse panel. If some one has ahd this same issue and found a fix please help!
  • ttracttrac Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same problem. Do you ever get it fix? Is it called the ignition coil? I can also hear the fuel pump kicking in and the car doesn't start (it cranked).

Please update (toanntrac@yahoo.com)
  • dmn1dmn1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find any answer to the problem of randomly dying?
  • bountyhunterncbountyhunternc Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me which rely it is and how to find it? What does it look like? Thanks bountyhunternc@gmail.com
  • 2001honda12001honda1 Member Posts: 2
    bought used 2001 passport. having CEL and reduce power lights on. not a constant. sometimes runs great, others not. replaced egr, tps, apps. checked all wiring. what was your fix? thanks. i need all help i can get.
  • 2001honda12001honda1 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 passport. runs great sometimes. then check engine/reduce power lights some on. doesn't die. have replaced tps, egr, apps. checked all wiring...no problems there. no idea whats causing it. anyone know of a fix? have taken to dealer and they couldn't tell me what the problem was. at my wits end.