Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Engine Questions

2»

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Keep it stock.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I agree----Keep it stock and don't waste your money on a K&N filter. It's not easy to outsmart BMW engineers when it comes to very efficient intake design.
  • smartcpasmartcpa Member Posts: 7
    The only notation I see on my invoice is that they "sent PUMA Case in for Cyl. Head." The repair notation said PUMA 22345808, My complaint was that the engine made a loud tapping noise when idling. They tried their quick fix of bleeding the lifters, that worked for about 2 months, then the noise came back. Hope this helps. The engine runs quiet and smooth now.
  • mobiusf1mobiusf1 Member Posts: 15
    Honestly, go to a different dealer if you can. I've been to terrible dealers and amazing dealers. I'm sure there is a dealer that will be able to help you out.
  • galamagalama Member Posts: 12
    But don't you think I would get little extra power from K&N and better gas milege.
    I do think that cold air intake would be stupit.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Contrary to the marketing bilge that K&N would love for you to believe, it is a physical impossibility for your car to get better fuel economy with a K&N filter (or no filter at all for that matter). Why? Because your car (and pretty much ALL cars these days) measure the weight of the air entering the intake and then meters exactly the precise amount of fuel for that air. If, for the sake of argument, the K&N did allow more air in, the system would simply add more fuel and you'd have exactly the same fuel economy as if you had the stock paper filter in place (which provides much better filtration than a K&N), or no filter at all.

As for more power, highly-HIGHLY unlikely. The BMW engineers aren't fools; they know how to build an intake system that efficiently feeds air to the engine, regardless of the environment or how firmly planted the drivers' foot is to the floor.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Nope you don't get more HP or better gas mileage from a K&N filter all by itself, or if the dyno or your fuel gauge suggested that there is an improvement, it is so small as to be statistically irrelevant (in other words, it's within normal variations).

I've tested these things many times and the best I can say is there is no gas mileage improvement that can be attributed to them, and as for "power", there might be better throttle response but no better 0-60 times, or again, so slight as to not justify the costs.

If you found a very restrictive air intake system (not a BMW) and a very large engine, you might register 3-4 more HP on a dyno.

My friends Porsche/Audi shop tested these on a dyno and got ZIP; however, in conjunction with well-engineered aftermarket exhaust systems, and changes to fuel-mapping, yeah, the K&N helped out.
  • galamagalama Member Posts: 12
    wow i see now you are right, i did think that K&N provides better filtration but openings are bigger so how would that be possible. So is there anything that would be better besides stock as far as better milege and more power when it comes to air intake? well im ok with milege more power would not hurt. How about chip? does it hurt engine?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Like Shipo said, BMW doesn't leave much on the table with regards to hidden horsepower- at least with respect to their naturally aspirated cars. You'd be very lucky to pick up 5-6 bhp from a CAI and a re-flash.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Yeah there are chips available that seem to work---but you have to really do your homework and get on the specialty BMW sites and see what chips DO WORK and which are all smoke and mirrors.

Also I like detailed info on the chip, so I know what they are manipulating in order to get the HP gains. Some chips do fuel enrichment, some boost timing, some just extend your automatic transmission shift points (don't need to spend $400 for THAT!).
    Steve Dinan and Jim Conforti are the top two players- in my opinion, anyway.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jklossjkloss Member Posts: 39
    Just received word today that BMW will replace the cylinder head on my 07 535XI.

They claim this will solve the ticking problems. Get the car back next week. Will keep you informed as to whether this solves the problems.
    Do you have a 530XI or a 535XI? I thought the 535's came out in 2008. My lease is up in October, and i was considering a 2010 535XI. Did the lifter noise issue continue with the 535's?
    It is a 07 530 XI sorry for the mix up - car is finished and I will pick it up on Monday. Dealer has been great - call twice to up date the progress and also a daily e-mail on the status. Finished the install of the new heads Thursday and spent Friday testing the vehicle to specs. Will know on Monday if this is the cure.
    Got the 530 Xi back and runs great - they replaced the cylinder heads and the Valves plus a lot other stuff - all new bolts and ect.

Only time will tell but will keep you all posted if things change.
    GREAT! Good Luck, mine has been quiet since i got it back. I have until October to turn in the lease or get it CPO and purchas it.
    So far I have not driven the car since it is my wife's. She seem to think it has a little more "pep" but no sounds for the engine.
  • rbourgoinrbourgoin Member Posts: 1
    i am starting a collection of vintage BMW 2002 tii, 2002, 325's etc etc and have recent purchased a 528 e, it was running fine until starting it one morning and it was revving out of control, is this due to the temp sensor, fuel to air mixture? any suggestions on where to begin and how to fix?
    any suggestions on where to begin and how to fix?

Check for any vacuum leaks between the air flow meter and the engine. Is the dipstick fully inserted? Oil filler cap tight? Also check the idle control valve. If you don't have one already, I'd strongly suggest buying the Bentley Repair Manual.

• gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Hi Guys,
    Just got a 2007 530i, 24K miles on the clock. Love the vehicle. I am prone to sitting at the beach with a book, listening to the radio, without running the engine.
    My vehicle has NAV also. I'm wondering, would this useage have any deleterious effects on the battery life? I have to believe iDrive screen uses some juice (much like a video camera), so I am wondering if I should get out of that habit, though it's pleasurable. I use to drive a 328i, and my battery lasted years doing this.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys.
    Gardis - CT
    As long as you drive the car an hour or more per week you should be fine.

Does anyone know if the October 2009 Money Factors were changed for 535XI? I was quoted .00165 MF and 60% Residual.
  • bobbiecbobbiec Member Posts: 2
    Any news in your wife's BMW after BMW fix? I'm having the same engine ticking noise with my 2007 BMW 525xi. I bought my BMW in NH in October 2006 and didn't notice the engine ticking noise until June 2010 at 60k miles. It took a few visits but BMW did replace all the lifters in August of 2010. I just noticed the ticking noise again and have an appointment to go in for more service. This noise could have been going on for awhile but I don't hear the noise from inside my vehicle. I have to be outside of the car to hear it.

I'm wondering if your wife's car is satisfactorily fixed at this point? I'm concerned that I'm having engine problems on a car with 65k miles on it.

Thank you for your time and insight. I truly appreciate it!
  • jayking535xijayking535xi Member Posts: 1
    Wow, what a bummer with my Beamer!! I just bought a cpo 2008 535 xi- On day 8 of ownership I got a an error message in the i-drive: Engine Malfunction reducing power. Needless to say I am extremely upset since I just bought this certified vehicle. The problem gets better- there is an open re-call on my vehicle and the dealer was notified 3 days ago! no one bothers to contact me, even after everyone's assurance that this is superior service luxury brand automobile and my experiences will be wonderful. I broke down 50 miles away from home, call BMW assistance and am told to wait 70 minutes for a tow truck which didnt show for 2 and a half hours. The service manager promises she will call me back and never does and after talking to bmw assistance they inform me I can ride back in the tow truck if I want. MY DREAM has come true. Then I discover that BMW knew that this vehicle had problems with the fuel injector and fule pump, Thus far owning a BMW has been nothing short of a nightmare, needed to vent that ..... Has anyone had their fule pump replaced and injectors replaced due to this recall and ongoing known problems with this engine? after this can I expect to have more problems? :mad: :sick:
  • bobbiecbobbiec Member Posts: 2
    I didn't have the problem you're having BUT my 2007 BMW 535xi did end up having the lifters replaced because of the engine ticking noise I'd been hearing. After the lifter fix I STILL had this ticking sound and it became more frequent. The next fix was replacing the cylinder head and all bolts etc. Now that I basically have half a new engine the car is running beautifully. BMW and my dealer stood behind my vehicle but they said it wasn't anything that would affect the performance of the car. It had to do with how the original cylinder head was produced and the fit of the lifters (is how I understood the problem). I said, like heck, since it sounds ridiculous and I didn't spend all of this money to have my car sound like a ticking time bomb! Good luck. It really is a great car and lots of fun getting from A to B!
  • christinefchristinef Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2008 535i and from the first year on I have been having the "engine malfunction - reduce power" problems. It happenned about twice a year, where the dealer replaces the fuel pumps, and due to the recent recall, replaced all 6 fuel injectors. The light came one again today, and my car is in the shop for the 5 times in less than 3 years. The car was brand new when I bought it in 2008.

I hope to hear if anyone else has the same problem and was able to fix it.
This discussion has been closed.