Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Geo Metro Interior and Passenger Comfort Questions

c140flyerc140flyer Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Geo
I recently purchased a 1996 Geo Metro with 51,000 mi. One of the only problems I have with the car has to do with the window regulators.It requires alot of force to roll either window up or down. It feels that it will be just a matter of time before something breaks! I looked online to see if regulators were available with no success. I have heard that this is a common problem and hoped that there would be some aftermarket fix.Any ideas?
Thanks,
Larry

Comments

• richard54richard54 Member Posts: 1
    Larry - My 1996 Geo Metro now has 127,000 miles on it and, like you, the only unexpected problem is with the driver's window regulator. Can't seem to find a replacement part. Expect that I'll have to buy a whole door from a salvage yard. Have you had any luck yet?
    Richard
    Knoxville, TN
  • kristlekristle Member Posts: 5
    I also had this problem with my 1996 Geo Metro and it only had about 76,000 miles on it. I ended up purchasing a NEW regulator off ebay. Just type in Geo Metro door regulator and you should be good to go.
    Crystal
    California
  • kgoadkgoad Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    I have an 88 Fleetwood FWD and the drivers window regulator guide needs replaced. The plastic piece that rides on the window broke.
    I bought a new regulator guide at my local Caddy dealer and I succesfully removed the panel, etc... from the door BUT I cant figure out how to put the new guide in....
    Does anyone know how to tell me how to do this?
    Anyone have diagrams, etc...?

Help!!

Thanks for any help!!!!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Welcome to the forums, but you're in the wrong place. To find discussions about the vehicle you're interested in, please use the Browse By Vehicle search tool in the left sidebar.

Head on over to the Cadillac Fleetwood group" and choose the apropriate discussion for your question there.
  • corvairbobcorvairbob Member Posts: 27
    i have had this problem before on a number of cars and i squirted oil down the guides at the edges of the doors. this helps out a lot. if your mechanical you could remove the door panel and oil up the mechanism. and the gears on the regulator.. it is not hard to do on a metro.
  • bkolodzibkolodzi Member Posts: 1
    I have looked and I cannot see where the water is coming from. Has anyone had this issue before or seen a bulletin that may shed some light? The passenger side is dry as a bone. The car is parked outside and the floor gets wet just sitting there, I do not have to be driving it for the floor to get wet. I would appreciate any information anyone has.

Thanks!
  • suz13suz13 Member Posts: 10
    I have the same problem w/ my 97 Geo Metro. See my question I posted today titled "Geo Metro Problems:PRNDL,directionals fuse, & water on floor". If you can't find it I'll repeat it for you & what I've sumised from reading on this site & my own experimenting. user: suz13
  • bearshopbearshop Member Posts: 2
    I love my GEO metro... has almost 130,000 miles and still going. This is especially good with the high gas prices.
    After surviving several hurricanes and tropical storms here in south central Florida, my 4-cyclinder, 4-door sedan now has a strange rumbling, hum in my inside blower. Don't know if there are leaves packed in it or what, but have killed myself under the dash to figure out where the noise is coming from. I always thought there was an internal air filter, but I'll be darned if I can find it much less get to it.
    Does anyone have any good ideas?
  • brokestudent2brokestudent2 Member Posts: 17
    My 1996 Metro window regulator failed at 125K. Well, it was a bar night, so I was probably more forceful than usual.

Finding parts...if you're lucky enough to find them in a junkyard like I did. This is yet another common problem with these cars (along with sagging headliners and fading dashboards).

When you DO get it fixed, be very gentle on the new regulator. I have a '98 Metro now (hatch) and the window feels the same way as my '96 did. I roll it down very slowly and make sure I use two fingers on my left hand at the top to gently guide it up and down. This has helped. Just be very gentle and minimize rollups/downs. That's all I can say.
  • bearshopbearshop Member Posts: 2
    Assuming your vehicle has air conditioning... what you are probably experiencing is a clogged moisture drain tube. This is the outlet for the water pools you see under parked vehicles after running the A/C. Since you would have to literally tear the dash out to get to the catch pan, the easiest solution is to locate the drip tube on the engine compartment firewall and blow air up the tube. This will blow the junk out that's blocking the tube. You can use the exhaust out of your vacuum and make something to reduce the hose's diameter, but the easiest way is to have your local mechanic give it a blast out of his air nozzel.
  • mgrellamgrella Member Posts: 2
    Hi my a/c was a aftermarket install.All the parts are from a geo metro.It works but it doesnt get really cold.On extreme hot days you cant feel it. I spent 1400 dollars on the repairs for this a/c system.I had this exact car with factory A/C and I would freeze my eyeballs out ! It was close to snowing in the car I miss that! Can anyone tell me why? This aftermarket A/C has feon (old stuff) in it.The fan works on all speeds however it doesnt seem as strong as It should be,can a fan motor be weak without it making noise?Any info is appreciated.This Geo I have is MINT!! I want to keep it that way.Thanks Mike
  • metroforlifemetroforlife Member Posts: 1
    Check to make sure that the vent door under the dash is closing all the way. There is a spring that will get weak or break on that door to hold it closed. If it's gone or not working, then the door is not closing off the air flow from outside. I just bought another 99 Metro with this problem. My husband had to fix the vent door, and I am using a rubber band to keep the vent closed off on the dash. (The wind from going down the road was blowing the door open.) Doesn't look great, but it works.
This discussion has been closed.