Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Transmission Problems

Comments

• gatdammitgatdammit Member Posts: 17
    I think it's time to tally the NHTSA registered complaints and maybe send them to a proven consumer protection group/attorney. I may be wrong but, this reached an actionable level years ago and Honda chose to ignore instead of recall. Nissan had a similar transmission problem almost the same time and recalled/replaced all failed units.

Honda was crafty in issueing the bandaid oil jet kit fix. Between the recall and stiff arming at the HQ, Honda hoped the problem would just go away - and they have been pretty successful. The real project will be to add up how many tranny's failed post recall...I'm one of them. The object is to unite the effort - Odyssey/Pilot/MDX/Accord - for indisputable numbers.

Keep your receipts...
  • campkapalacampkapala Member Posts: 21
    I just posted a complaint on the NHTSA site. I posted on the Facebook page for the Acura owners asking about joining our forces. Do you think we should put together a Facebook page like they did?
    It looks like there are 37 complaints on the NHTSA site about the 2005, 43 about the 2004 and 104 about the 2003. The Acura complaints tallied at 54 f0r the year 2003 and 29 for the year 2004. I don't know how many people they pulled in through Facebook. I will contact them and see.
  • nwfindernwfinder Member Posts: 9
    This is so weird. The same thing of coolant mixing with transmission fluid is EXACTLY what is happening to '05 - '07 Nissan Pathfinders. I wonder if it is the same radiator manufacturer? If so I'd hate to be that supplier!!
  • swdypdyswdypdy Member Posts: 4
    Thank you to everyone who has posted about this before. I bought my 2004 Honda Pilot in 2008 with 26,000 miles on it. We didn't have any problems with it at all until late last year. We have have performed all of the regular maintenance on the car as well. Late last year I took it to the Honda dealership with the exact issues you all are complaining about. They claimed to have no idea what I was talking about. Finally, they had one of their mechanics drive with me. He heard the shuddering and thought that it might be the rear differential fluid. They replaced it and it seemed to be ok.

Lately the shuddering has gotten worse and is happening in the 35-40 MPH range, as well as any other time it's shifting. Last week, the engine light came on, it started misfiring at idle and shaking terribly bad as I drove. The engine light began flashing and I took it straight to our regular mechanic (I am steering clear of the Honda dealership - too pricey for a bunch of liars). He replaced the spark plugs which were admittedly in terrible condition (we live in the foothills and have a long, steep, wet, dirt driveway) and said to bring it back if it still wasn't working right. After revisiting this website I think I will have him drain and refill the ATM fluid and use the additive everyone here has been talking about and see how it does.

Right now I'm terrified to go anywhere. I drive to Seattle on a regular basis and am petrified to break down on I-5 during rush hour. Good thing my AAA membership is in full swing.

I also have a friend who has a 2003 Pilot and she mentioned the exact same shuddering between 35-40. Let's start the Facebook page and see if we can get Honda to admit this issue and pay to correct it. If no one else wants to start it, I will but it sounds like some of you have had extensive communication with Honda. I haven't started with them yet but I'm about to.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted. It's awful we are all dealing with this. I wonder what it will take for Honda to realize this is their problem - someone getting killed?

Tell me where to go and who to complain to and I will.
  • jtsibesjtsibes Member Posts: 19
    Hi,
    In my case I filed a compliant with the NHTSA. I know that there was woman-her name was Diane that filed with Honda I beleive as well. I'll look around to see if I can fnd it. I unfortunetly don't have enough time to spearhead a Facebook page but I would try to help in any way I can. Honda recalled several years from what I understand but not our years even though the problem is the same.
    Janelle
  • pendentivependentive Member Posts: 2
    I started a group on Facebook. Here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/384099154955943

JOIN the group ASAP and we'll get the ball rolling on this matter!
  • seakayaker1952seakayaker1952 Member Posts: 2
    I was about to purchase a 2004 Honda Pilot with 92,000 miles based on Consumers Reports. I test drove the vehicle and I did not feel the vehicle shift when accelerating. After coming across this forum I'm now leaning towards not looking at used Pilots?
    I still absolutley love my Pilot- lots of room, comfortable, great ride when it works right. I guess if you can check the service records & see what's been done to it you'd be ok? I dont think any solution will work unless replaced with a non-Honda transmission. I changed mine out last year and have not had any problems with it since.
  • seakayaker1952seakayaker1952 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. Even though it was a one owner vehicle there were no service records with the vehicle so I passed on the purchase. I definitely liked the ride and room factors but don't want to spend another 4K on top of the 12K the dealership was asking for the vehicle.
    There is a recall for some of the 2004 Pilots. You could check the VIN to see if it was included. Unfortunately, many of us that own 2004 Pilots fall outside of the recall and still have the transmission problem. Mine didn't show up until I reached the 140k mark. There are hundreds of 2005 Pilot owners that have the same problem. So, the recall did not take care of all the Honda customers that have the defect. We are trying to unite via this forum and also Facebook to see if we can get Honda to do anything for the rest of us.
  • pilotfunfinderpilotfunfinder Member Posts: 3
    I own 2003 Honda Pilot which I bought new and had the shudder issue described in many of the blogs around 30-40 mph. I always have changed the fluid on the scheduled interval and was extremely upset that the vehicle was prone to this problem. So much for Honda's quality reputation for which they command a such a premium sticker price.

Here is how I solved the transmission shudder which had become very regular at 130,000 miles:

1. "Change" the transmission fluid by draining what will drain from the case through the plug on the bottom as if it were a regular interval. This requires about 3.5 quarts of fresh fluid.
    2. Drive the car for 20 to 30 miles and change the transmission fluid, again.
    3. On the second fill, include Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fix subtracting the amount of fluid prescribed by the directions on the bottle from the 3.5 quarts of transmission fluid.
    4. REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION FILTER! I was not aware that it even had one, because Honda does not include this as part of a fluid change and I guess Honda expects you to never change the filter. Changing the filter is a normal part of most transmission fluid changes for most manufacturers.

Over 5000 miles after doing this I still have not had a shudder where it had gotten to be a very regular problem before.

It took a lot of searching the blogs to develop this solution and I combined multiple suggestions for a belt-AND-suspenders approach. Feel free to copy this post out to others who are experiencing this common problem. Definitely try this approach for about $100 in parts before plunking out $4 grand for a rebuilt transmission.
  • spamman66spamman66 Member Posts: 6
    Did you have the Flashing D issue? Did this stop that from happening?
  • mmcurleymmcurley Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading all the posts regarding the Honda Pilot transmission problem. I'm speechless. I just came home from the dealership today with the news that I need a new transmission at the cost of 5500. My 2004 Pilot has 95000 miles. For several months I've noticed a shakiness to the steering wheel and the VTM-4 light has been coming on and off. I brought it to a mechanic and they could not find a problem. Recently the check engine line has been on. The dealership said the parking pall is broken inside transmission. I don't even know what that is??? Do I get a new transmission and hope for the best or trade in ??
    Hello...sorry to hear of your problem. Have you checked your VIN number on the Honda web page? Some of the 2004 Honda Pilots are under recall. My 2004 Pilot is just outside of the recall but I have the same issue. It started with a shutter at 30 mph and is progressing. I know soon I will have the same diagnosis as you. I have not heard of anyone else posting about the Parking Pall though. Not sure what that is. I thought the problem involved the torque converter. There is a Facebook page you can go to and get your name on a list. We are trying to organize so we can push Honda to fix the problem. The 2005 Pilots have the problem, also. So does the Acura MDX. The Acura people started a Facebook page and got Acura to post a bulletin to fix their cars. I was hoping we Pilot owners could do the same. Some people push their dealer to at least share the cost of the repair. People have reported in that at first the dealer will deny even knowing the Pilots have a tranny problem. You have to let them know you are well aware of the numbers that have problems.
    Hi again...I just read this new post. It may prove helpful for you. Other people have written in about using Shutter Fix. My mechanic used it and it helped some. I am going to ask them to do as this post suggests:

I own 2003 Honda Pilot which I bought new and had the shudder issue described in many of the blogs around 30-40 mph. I always have changed the fluid on the scheduled interval and was extremely upset that the vehicle was prone to this problem. So much for Honda's quality reputation for which they command a such a premium sticker price.

Here is how I solved the transmission shudder which had become very regular at 130,000 miles:

1. "Change" the transmission fluid by draining what will drain from the case through the plug on the bottom as if it were a regular interval. This requires about 3.5 quarts of fresh fluid.
    2. Drive the car for 20 to 30 miles and change the transmission fluid, again.
    3. On the second fill, include Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fix subtracting the amount of fluid prescribed by the directions on the bottle from the 3.5 quarts of transmission fluid.
    4. REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION FILTER! I was not aware that it even had one, because Honda does not include this as part of a fluid change and I guess Honda expects you to never change the filter. Changing the filter is a normal part of most transmission fluid changes for most manufacturers.

Over 5000 miles after doing this I still have not had a shudder where it had gotten to be a very regular problem before.

It took a lot of searching the blogs to develop this solution and I combined multiple suggestions for a belt-AND-suspenders approach. Feel free to copy this post out to others who are experiencing this common problem. Definitely try this approach for about $100 in parts before plunking out $4 grand for a rebuilt transmission.
  • pilotfunfinderpilotfunfinder Member Posts: 3
    I did not ever get the flashing "D" during a shudder episode. Note that I have in the past gotten the flashing VT4M, but that was associated with the EGR valve (another common and recurring defect). The check engine code will provide a clue as to whether the vehicle is sensing something with the EGR or the transmission. Note that a failing EGR valve has similar symptoms but seems more like the car searching for a gear rather than running across rumble strips (aka shudder).
    I have the Flashing D, sometimes. It will flash for a few days, every trip, then sometimes it disappears for weeks...or months and it's back.

I also have a strong feeling shift at 35-40 mph, again, sometimes it's stronger than others, sometimes it's a smooth shift.

Last week, I have the VTM-4 light go on for a few trips and nothing every since.

I've had the flashing D for over 2 years!!! It was around 15,000 miles after the re-built trans was put in by AAMCO. I drove the 2003 Pilot into AAMCO when the D was flashing. He checked the codes and said there were no codes to read. He thought it was a corroded wire/connector. (I wasn't going to pay to find out where).

I had the new trans installed at 150,000 miles (approx) and it now has 223,000. The Flashing D is annoying!!!!

I'd love to fix it, but it runs with "no major" issues. I'm not paying Honda or someone to guess on the issues. annoying!!!!!
    I have never had any warning lights flash but I do have the intermittent shutter at around 30 mph and am also now experiencing as you desribed "strong feeling shifts" at various other speeds. I have 145k.
  • lionsroarlionsroar Member Posts: 4
    Generally i don't go on to blog such as these, but after experiencing the fun i often receive at our Japanese auto shop in Texas I've decided to hopefully help spread some light on the so called "facts" people receive through forums such as these. My knowledge is based on working as a service adviser and manager over the past two years at my father's automotive repair shop and whom he himself has worked on Honda's for the past 30 years of his life. Plus i grew up in a shop practically.

When it comes to Odyssey's they are great vehicle's mechanically speaking, but unfortunately transmissions where sold to the cheapest bidder when they were made. If you own this vehicle and haven't kept up your 30k service (especially the trans. fluid change) for the last 60-90k miles. Then i can almost assure you that the transmission is internally not working correctly.

You will know the signs by the "D" light flashing (this is the computer saying there is a trans. problem, may be mechanical or trans. computer...usually the former), hesitation when first accelerating from a stop light, or if check the trans. fluid and its not pink but dark or black... then the trans. is gone, its just a matter of when it will not allow you to accelerate at all.

From this point many people wind up going the silly route and spending about $1500 grand on the trans. without asking if the tech is ASE certified master tech or if there is at least a one year warranty for the parts that were replaced. THIS HAPPENS ALL DAY LONG. If you are expecting the vehicle to work for years after paying that much, you are fooling yourself. The average trans. overhaul alone is about $25-3500 grand easy, if you are not paying this than either its aftermarket parts, or the shop owner is not paying for a true technician (meaning shade tree mechanic or worse)

Many people try to use trans. fluid's to "hope" the problem away. If you are using some type of brand fluid that supposedly makes the trans. better its a lie! This as well as a trans. fluid flush is a big fat waste of money that you deserve to keep for yourself. I apologize if the industry has lied to you and said that Honda's are suppose to have trans. fluid flushes but that's silly at best. The Honda corporation has already sent out letters to their dealerships years ago about this type of selling and that its a waste of the customers money. If someone says that you need a trans. fluid flush then you get in the car and leave, because they don't know Honda's or their transmission. At our store we have never and will never sell one of those things.

If you are fed up with the Odyssey's i definitely understand, we often inform people who are potentially buying these vehicles to instead by the Toyota Sienna. Toyota's are more reliable, trans. are built well and almost all their vehicle's after about 2001 have timing chain's instead of belt's. Which means not only that its a life time part but its also life time warranty if it breaks. Lastly, the big difference with Toyota's is that they are non interference engines; so if the belt break's we aren't talking about a $1500-2500 grand repair because of valve's bent and such.

Hope that informs most people well enough, I'm just tired of seeing everyone get ripped off.
    i apologize, i thought i had seen someone posting about odyssey on this particular post, my bad. Though the principle's remain the same.
  • gatdammitgatdammit Member Posts: 17
    Great post from a trusted source; however, the central issue is that Honda has taken the route of stating 100K miles out of a transmission is perfectly acceptable. I, as many that have had the misfortune of stumbling upon this forum, am utterly appalled that buying into the Honda umbrella of reliability was so negligently passed off to avoid losing $.

All of the early generation Odyssey V6 variants (Pilot, Accord, MDX...) we're subject to this inferior transmission. The fact that they issued the jet kit recall to cover their rears was equally insulting. There's a 99% chance that if you experience just one of the symptoms described in this thread, it's not a question of "if" but, "when" your tranny will fail.

We have topped 300 posts in this forum and I can tell you the Odyssey trail is even worse. This doesn't account for the poor souls that were fleeced by service depts and led to believe it was something they had done wrong.

So, at what point does it become a brand integrity issue that Honda will assume liability for? I will say it again: KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS! I feel retribution will come about someday.
    agreed. Its very sad that this has happened with Honda, mind you this has technically happened to about every brand from Ford to Nissan in one way, shape or form. But considering just how much we like Honda around here (at least at our shop) and know they they are great when it comes to engine's in general, i agree that its very frustrating to see so many with the Trans. problem; hopefully soon they will end their bean counting ways and finish what they started in creating the family vehicle.
  • kendall8kendall8 Member Posts: 28
    thank you,,3rd and 4th gear shifters , about how much should that cost?
    3rd and 4th gear shifters? i think i'm missing something in context. Is the shop you are working with telling you those need to be replaced or do you feel you have an issue when the car is in 3rd and 4th gear?
  • oldewickoldewick Member Posts: 1
    On my way home from the dealership, the D started blinking. Why was I at the dealership. Well, to have two motor mounts replaced and the fuel hose to the tank replaced. Total bill, $900.00. The same story as every other person on this site. Be advised, 2004 Honda pilots are trouble. I love the car but I will not pay to have the trans replaced.
    I had to have two motor mounts replaced also. Like you said, just another Pilot problem.
  • kendall8kendall8 Member Posts: 28
    I dont have a problem w 2005 Pilot transmission YET. 50k miles. I want to PREVENT IT,(IF there is suck a thing) Thank you..
  • southpaw7southpaw7 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    Need help. Have a 03 pilot and the transmission is giving me fits. Flushed tranny and replaced solenoids. Yesterday would not shift up. Transmission looks like its gone. My question is there any recall still on a 2003 pilot for honda to replaces transmission? The pilot has 92K on it. If no help from honda then how much does a jasper cost roughly? Have had hondas for over 20 years and this is the first major problems with one. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Here is what I know. Honda did recall a certain amount (over a million) Honda Pilots in the years 2003 - 2004. If your VIN number fits in the recall, then provisions have been made for you to have it replaced by Honda. If you fall outside of the VIN numbers - even if you have the transmission problem, like I do - then, you will have to fight with the rest of us to push Honda to take responsibility. Go to the Honda website and check your VIN number to see if you are in the numbers recalled. Hopefully, you are. If not, check back here and follow the posts to see what you could do. There are number of recommendations to improve the condition but no absolute fixes. We need to get Honda to replace the transmissions and the torque convertors. That's the best and most fair fix. It's a defect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • eagleeye3eagleeye3 Member Posts: 44
    Well, add another potential victim to the transmission problem list. Our 2003 Pilot only has 87,000 miles and we have a shuddering transmission and check engine light. Our mechanic says we have error code P1750. We have changed the transmission oil as scheduled. Going to bring vehicle into Honda tomorrow for their diagnosis. I went to the Honda site and entered my VIN on the Owner's Link site for recall info (2HKYF18533H520501 - took delivery Aug 2002). The 2003-2004 Pilot Automatic Transmission 2nd Gear issue comes up (status = fixed). Is there a separate recall notice that says they will replace your transmission? Is there a different Honda website to check? This SUV has been babied, driven by my wife around town, averaging 9,000 miles a year. Never attached a trailer, never took to the mountains, and never had an accident. Never had much of a problem till now. Car is in very good to almost mint condition. It's going to be comical if Honda says I need a new transmission - especially if one just looks at the external condition of the vehicle. Not sure how they will be able to deliver the message with a straight face.
    You might want to call Honda directly and check on the VIN. I don't think that is the message I got when I entered my VIN in on the site and my car is outside of the recall even though it is a 2004. Maybe you are a lucky one that fits in with the group that can get fixed. If you are not in the recall, follow this thread. One of the messages has a link to a site where you can file a complaint. If enough of us complain, maybe Honda will do something. We were also trying to get a Facebook page going. The Acura people did that and got Honda to issue a bulletin which if I understand it correctly, allowed them to get their transmissions fixed even though it wasn't a recall. I need to check into it further. I emailed the person in charge of the page and he said they were trying to put together a class suit. The lawyers wanted money up front and thats where they stopped.
    Hi,
    Please make sure you file a complaint with on the NHTSA.gov. There a a lot of us out there with the same problem. Also check out the Facebook group and log it there too...if there are enough of us, hopefully some action will someday happen. Good Luck...thanks
    Janelle
    Which Facebook page did you join?
    I've heard so many issues with the trans, torque converters, pressure switches etc. on the Pilots. I have 2003 Pilot 224K, rebuilt trans at 120K (started to fail with high rev, high jerking on highway). I , NOW, have a rough jerk at 30-40 mph. I have the flashing D, but that started at 150K or so and no other symtoms on the trans. AAMCO thought it was a bad electrical connection due to no error codes, no symptoms. Now, I'm getting VTM-4 light on intermittantly. The flashing D is annoying, but again, no other symptoms.

My 2004 Odyssey is another story, but just bad quality from Honda. New trans on that at 112K. I had the bad peeling paint (blue) and horrible service from Honda America and locally. Diffinetly my last Honda.
  • mngritsmngrits Member Posts: 1
    Have a problem: Last week both technician and owner of shop told me I needed to flush my 05 Honda pilot transmission. Talked with owner about flushing the transmission and he said he had a special machine for this-and that it was safe for my car. On Friday the 1st of June took car in at 9am by 1:30 car still was not done-At 3 I was told that they had done a simple drain and fill-that Honda does not recommend flushing?-Ok I asked if they followed the owner's manual with the drain, refill then drive, drain refill then drive then the drain refill-they had not so i had them do it-now 4 days later my D is flashing which means something is wrong with the transmission-could they have tried to flush the transmission? Do I have any recourse?
  • ajax_borgesajax_borges Member Posts: 1
    This is very interesting... May I ask you if you were experiencing the "shudder issue" at very low RPMs like 1500 RPMs? The reason I ask is because the shudder only happens for me when I'm at 1500 (or very close to that RPM) and only when I am in normal drive. In D3 the shudder noise does not happen.

I have a 2004 Pilot and recently replaced my transmission (with a used one) because of a shudder issue. Unfortunately the shudder issue is still there. Could I have purchased a bad transmission or is the issue the torque converter?
    It happened for me at 35-40 MPH. I never had the flashing "d" light. If you replaced the tranny with the same Honda tranny that has the known problem, it would or could happen again. Sorry.
  • manusrfmanusrf Member Posts: 6
    I bought my used 2004 Honda Pilot with 59000 miles on it about 3 months ago. I thought it worked great when I bought it. A few weeks after I purchased the car it started to idle roughly and even died a couple of times. In addition it would shudder and not responds to gas at lower speeds. It would also down shift in jolting way intermittently.
    Anyway I have brought it to the dealer and 2 other mechanics and they have replaced the idle control valve twice, MAP sensor, air flow meter, cleaned the egr valve, valve adjustment, new spark plugs, transmission fluid change, new battery, new coolant and thermostat. The car has this problem intermittently.
    Finally a local honda mechanic figured it out today. He says that the torque converter is bad and that it would be 1700 to fix it. I'm wondering if this will actually fix the problem. Is it better to get the whole tranny replaced or is the torque converter by itself fine.
    This car does have a recall on the transmission and a oil heat shield was put in at 2200 miles. Does anyone one know if the torque converter is related to the recall problem.
    Thank You!
    I am not a mechanic but have read many posts on the problem and yes, I thought the converter was a huge part of the problem. If I remember correctly, you can check out the statement Acura made in regards to their tranny's and see that the converter was also included in the fix. Someone posted a pic. of the information on this site. If I can find it, I will repost it here for you to read.

Are you saying that you are under the recall for Honda's transmission? And, the tranny was replaced at 2200 miles or just the heat shield was replaced?

If so, could you help the rest of us that are not in the recall to understand just what they will do for you? Maybe post some of the recall paperwork. It would be helpful to see the language and just how they address the situation. Many of us have the exact same problem, but are outside the VIN numbers for the recall. Thanks.

As for your problem being intermittent, that seems to be most folks beginning problem which escalates from there - sometimes quite quickly.
    At 2200 miles the heat shield was installed. The problem is getting the dealer to admit that the torque converter is bad. When I brought the car to the dealer in the past they wanted to do a valve adjustment and did not think it was the torque converter.
    It took 3 honda mechanics to diagnose it as the torque converter. I'm still stuck with the car and continue to drive it. I'm still not sure if I should go ahead and replace the torque converter or if the whole tranny needs to be replaced. Also considering trading it in.
    So far, my problem is not regular. That makes it hard for me to show my mechanic what I am talking about and gives room for the Honda mechanics to make other excuses. From reading the posts, I know exactly what is wrong and the end result. I am just not certain how long I have until it quits shifting altogether. I still have not found that Acura statement but I believe they replaced the convertor and transmission if the car was over a certain mileage. My mechanic puts Shudder Fix in on a regular basis but that is just really only a "bandaid" in my opinion. When they drive my car, it does not have the shutter. I think it is because it has more of a problem on a slow acceleration shift. If you "punch it", it doesn't seem to shutter. When does your car have the problem?
  • realtourrealtour Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering what the outcome was for this situation. I was just told today I need some work done that should have been caught when I complained about it over 20K miles ago! Grrr!
    :mad:
    It seems to mostly happen between 1000-2000 RPM. But the engine tends to rev up and down at idle too. I have it at another dealer right now but they are saying it's not the torque converter. Funny thing is that they don't know what it is. They think it may be the computer. I still think it's the torque converter.
    I had my trans replaced over 2 years ago. Since then, I've had the Flashing D. It comes and goes, never consistent. a few months after the replacement (AAMCO), I drove it in with the Flashing D. No erro codes and no issues with the Pilot, just an annoting Flashing D. I'd been close to 2 years and the trans seems fine except for a slight "jerk" at 35-40. From what I read, do you think changing the 3 and 4th presuure switch would fix the Flashing D? It seems like it from most of the messages (other than new/rebuild trans). Any thoughts?
  • rocketsgaragerocketsgarage Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like i'm late to the party. My wife bought a 2003 Pilot about 2 months ago used. The car seemed to be in great shape with only 97K. I thought she did ok. about 2 weeks after she got it I noticed a funny/slow 2-3 shift. It seemed to be ok sometimes but has gotten worse in the last few weeks. I'm extremely angry sense we just started paying for this car and are on a very tight budget with a baby on the way. She got the car with the thought of it being a Honda we'd had many years of trouble free use. I can not afford to replace the transmission. I'm taking it in Thursday to have the trans serviced/flushed to see if that will correct it but from what I just read things aren't looking promising.
  • eagleeye3eagleeye3 Member Posts: 44
    Yeah, does not sound good. Your approach is worth a try, but from the comments I have read, it always seems to lead to a transmission rebuild. You might be better off hiring someone to torch it or steal it and collecting the insurance proceeds. Sounds harsh, but thats how desperate the situation usually turns out to be...
  • hujghujg Member Posts: 1
    I have 2010 pilot and purchased 3 weeks ago from dealer as a certified car. Yesterday I had some viberation issues so I dropped the car to the dealer. After the fix I noticed some small sound from gear everytime when i stoped my car. I asked the dealer and they told me it was normal. But I don't think I heard that sound before. I even tried to drive another pilot with the dealer. Still no sound. I am not sure if anyone had the same issue. I really think there is something wrong in transmision but the dealer insisted that nothing wrong in it. Thanks.
  • monalmonal Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 2009 Pilot in July 2008. I have started experiencing the same shuddering problem between 35-40 miles per hour. I have the eco-drive feature that shuts 3 of the 6 cylinders down to conserve mpg. I have also noticed that the engine has a louder winding sound when it is at a constant speed. The maintenance on the vehicle has always been kept up to date at the dealership. It is currently at 57k. The problem probably started around 50k. I have not taken it in yet, but plan on making an appointment and backing up the complaint with the information provided here. Luckily, I purchased an expensive extended warranty with the vehicle. I will post my results with the dealership when I take it in.