Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Gas Gauge

jlwestbrockjlwestbrock Member Posts: 3
Hello,
I bought a 2004 ford explorer about 2 months ago and I have already had it in twice for different things. Now I just got it back last week and my gas gauge went out(it only reads 1/3 of a full tank), and also I am getting a loud pitch whistling noise at 2200 RPM from the engine.

I have read several forums and noticed alot of people having problems. My question is has anyone had the gas gauge problem, and or the whistling problem and had them fixed, and what did the dealership tell you was wrong?

I want to be alittle bit educated when I go into the dealership to explain my problem.

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Try Ford Explorer: Whistling sound woes! for the whistle problem.

tidester, host
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    You may have some sulfur contamination, try a bottle of fuel system cleaner.

Mark.
  • bmimsbmims Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 explorer, no gas gauge problems but whisling noise at 2-3000 rpm and peaks at 2250. On acceleration only and doesn't matter what your speed is. I have had it in twice, first time they changed tensioner and pulley (not the problem) and yesterday they told me that it is in the area of the EGR. Well my brother in law works for Chevy and said that they just got a notice for the same problem and are being required to replace the throttle body. I called my dealer with the info but have not heard back from them yet. Would like to know if the throttle body for the Chevy engine and 4.o Ford are made by the same manufacturer. Possibility. Let me know if your problem gets solved.
  • bmimsbmims Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 explorer, no gas gauge problems but whistling noise at 2-3000 rpm and peaks at 2250. On acceleration only and doesn't matter what your speed is. I have had it in twice, first time they changed tensioner and pulley (not the problem) and yesterday they told me that it is in the area of the EGR. Well my brother in law works for Chevy and said that they just got a notice for the same problem and are being required to replace the throttle body. I called my dealer with the info but have not heard back from them yet. Would like to know if the throttle body for the Chevy engine and 4.o Ford are made by the same manufacturer. Possibility. Let me know if your problem gets solved.
  • jlwestbrockjlwestbrock Member Posts: 3
    Yeah it seems to be getting worse and louder as the weather is getting colder(minnesota weather).The whistling happens at about 40mph(2200rpm) and again at 60mph(2200rpm) but only if I am accelerating. I havent brang mine in yet, I will post again after I hear back from the Ford dealership.
  • intimidator317intimidator317 Member Posts: 2
    can you please explain more...
    my wife had the gage go down to nothing after she filled up
    HER 2004 EXPLORER XLT and the check gage light came on...
    after a bit of driving the gage went to full
    but then she noticed the check engine light came on...
    took it to the dealer and this is what they said...
    It is sulfur contamination...
    they sell a kit to fix it that cost like $300
    and labor to put it in is another $300...
    WTF!!!
    3 YEAR OLD CAR WITH UNDER 30,000 MILES
    JUST 2 MONTHS PAST THE FACTORY WARRANTY!!!

sounds like I/we are getting hosed...again...
    seems to me this is a bigger problem and should be a recall issue...
    kind of ironic that they already have a repair kit to fix a problem that they are claiming is natural wear and tear...

any help is great

Tony

Intimidator17@msn.com
  • cocobuttercocobutter Member Posts: 1
    the fuel level sender may be faulty
  • intimidator317intimidator317 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information...
    fixed it myself...cheap!!!
    I bought a bottle of Chevron Techron
    synthetic fuel system cleaner
    and filled up with 93 octane gas...
    I swear I didn't drive 5 miles...
    I drove for 5 minutes...let it sit for a few hours
    then drove it a few more minutes
    and the check engine light went off
    and has not come back on since...
    over a hundred miles and good to go...
    I went back and bought more cleaner for all my cars...
    it was buy one 12 oz bottle and get one free
    at advance auto parts!!!

I spent like $35 total and like 30 minutes time
    to fix a $600 problem...
    If I have to do that every year until I sell it I will...
    not to mention everything else in the fuel system is getting cleaned and might improve mileage and performance!!!
    Ford's $600 solution would have only turned the check engine light off...
    I am also replacing the fuel filter this weekend...
    $7 for Purolator filter..Ford wants $17 for Motorcraft!!!
    they are probable made in the same plant in China!!!

Thanks again
    Tony
  • erikawerikaw Member Posts: 1
    We got a 2005 Ford XLT yesterday,not more than 5 hours after we got it; it suddenly registered no gas, after I had just filled it up 1 hour before and the light saying serivice engine soon came on. Well we read up on that and noticed on the service engine light we could unhook the negative connection on the battery for a few minutes and reconnect and then the light stopped, and it has stayed off. But the non-digital gas gauge still shows no gas. Any ideas :)
  • polomartinezpolomartinez Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I've notice since 2 weeks ago that my ford explorer sport trac 01 is making a whistle sound around the gas tank area, it only does it when the engine is running, if I turn the car off it stops also if I have the key switch on (engine off) it stops.
    Help please!!
  • jecoueyjecouey Member Posts: 4
    We have had problems with our gas gauge for our 2003 Ford Explorer NBX (would not register full when we just filled it, service engine light would come on, seemed to have happened more often in cold weather).

Anyway, our fix was the vacuum hose to the fuel tank was not properly installed, so the dealer had to remove the fuel tank and fix it. Ford called it a service adjustment and therefore not covered by warranty. I am arguing with Ford at this time, and have already filed a claim with the Federal Trade Commission.

I have a posting elsewhere about the Extended Service Plan too.
  • miller21miller21 Member Posts: 1
    my 93 explorer gas gauge read full then half then empty and back to full and back to quarter of a tank wat can cause it to do that plus the abs light comes on and when u go to stop makes a thumping noise and trys to pull to the right
  • rg123rg123 Member Posts: 1
    i bought a 1993 ford explorer and the gas gauge does not work. the shop people say it will cost about 2000 to fix so some one plzzzzzzzz....help me!!
    :confuse:
  • gator7735gator7735 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2002 Explorer. First I noticed a fluxuation with the gauge when full. Now I have a check gauge light and the gauge does not work at all. The dealer said to put two bottles of Chevron techtron in it the clean the sulfur from the level indacator in the gas tank. That was 200 miles ago and still no help. Dealer wants close to $700 dollars to replace the whole unit in the Tank. However I am told that is not nessasary. You can replace just the level indicator if you go to the web or some parts store do stock them as well. I have not done this yet, but intend to do so when the weather here in Michigan warms up. :lemon:
  • dawolf175dawolf175 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my '97 Explorer. I was getting erratic gas readings and dropped my gas tank to find out that the Fuel pump arm had come looose from the mounting. I also found out that the fuel line in the tank (rubber) had ruptured. I changed the line, the screen and put screws to hold it in place.
  • earnhardtgal88earnhardtgal88 Member Posts: 3
    We have a 93 also. Our gas gauge never worked. The other day, we had to install a new fuel pump. The notches for Full,3/4,1/2 1/4, on the old 1 were worn down. Got the new pump in.. Works like a charm.
    Now here's the problem.. We put a new fuel pump in because we kept blowing 30 and 60 amp fuses for the fuel pump, causing the vehicle to not crank up. The pump seemed really loud too. Anyways, we put in a new pump, new fuel filter. Worked great .. for about a week!! Yesterday I was driving down the road, the Explorer started acting like it was starving for fuel ( Just put 30 bucks worth in) it was cutting out. Finally, it just shut off. I can't get it started. The fuse is not blown and the fuel pump relay is brand new also. We did notice that after the new fuel pump, that the sound of it was WAY less audible. However, now we don't hear it @ all when we try to crank it up. Maybe a defective fuel pump, or something else?? Any suggestions?
  • tom2rntom2rn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 Explorer with the 4.0 liter engine and auto transmission. The fuel gauge has stopped working properly. It reads empty no matter what the amount of fuel is (most of the time). It will sometimes read there is fuel with the ignition off (about half a tank). If I turn the ignition on (without starting) it drops back to empty. Today I disconnected the pump/sending unit from the main cable and the gauge went to full without power. What I thought was a bad sending unit appears not to be the problem. What else should I look for. I don't understand why it went to full without power (a short?). I was attempting to ground the wire to the gauge to see if it would move to the full position. Thanks
    From our experience... Ours did the same exact thing. Once we replaced the fuel pump w/ a new sending unit in it... worked like magic everytime.
  • hansphansp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Ford Explorer with 48537 miles in it. I purchased it May 2006 and never had problems with it until now. I filled up my tank last Friday, 5/22/2009. The next day, Saturday, I drove to the grocery store and noticed that my "check gage" red light was on and my gas gauge was on empty. I obviously have plenty of gas so running out of gas was not an issue. As I headed straight back to my house, the red light turned off and my gas gauge started working again. This actually happened about 3 times that day.

The morning after Memorial Day, I went to work and again my "check gage" red light was on and so was my "check engine" light. Instead of heading to work, I went to a Ford Dealearship and have them diagnose why this is happening. Mind you, the gas gauge was working just fine as I arrived the dealership but my "check engine" light was still on. The service advisor came back to me after almost 2 hours of waiting at the lounge (thank goodness for the ESPN sports channel) and he told me I need a Fuel Pump Module and it will run me $1,064.37.

Shock as I was about how much it will cost me for them to repair it, I declined the repair and went straight to my workplace. I was skeptical about the cost of repair so I am seeking a second opinion from anyone who can give me some light to this sort of problem. Thanks in advance for your comments. :)
  • ebayptebaypt Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem and went back a few times to the garage. It happened before 36000 miles so they replaced the whole dash display and the same thing happened. Then on one of the trips back a service advisor said that the sensor gets a build up some sludge for lack of a better term, his solution which has worked every time, is to buy chevron techroline additive and put it in the tank when filling up. I do this every 15000 miles or so and have not had a problem since then.
  • servoman1servoman1 Member Posts: 1
    Gas gauge stop working and heard a thumping sound coming from gas tank. Took it to a local garage and found that the internal baffel in the gas tank came loose and then hit the sending unit gas pump assembly breaking it off the cap. I had to buy a new gas tank and the broken assembly. Price tag $900. Has anyone experienced this before?
  • socool371socool371 Member Posts: 1
    1993 Ford Explorer 4.0 v-6 engine when i put a lot of gas in my tank my gas hand want to stay close to E and some of the time it do read what inside the tank but mostly close to the E allway have to get gas when i know their is gas in the tank and if i have to replace the sending unit would i have to drop the gas tank to the ground in order to change it out are is their another way to change it out
  • bdun1996fordbdun1996ford Member Posts: 2
    i seem to be having the same issue. i deliver pizzas and i use quite a bit of gas. i have a 1996 ford explorer xlt 4x4 with the 4.0 v6. and i left my house with just over a half of a tank. and when i got home i had the same exact amount. do you think your technique would work? my check engine is not on and the check gauge is not on either. i have 120,xxx miles on it so idk if the 93 octane would kill my motor or not. what do you suggest?
  • bdun1996fordbdun1996ford Member Posts: 2
    i would have to say youd have to drop the tank. i have a 96 and there is no access pannel from the inside to get to the pump. at least not that i know of. go to a ford dealer and ask
  • rknarfarknarfa Member Posts: 1
    I seem to be having the same problem. Have you solved yours? If so do you mind sharing some info?. THanks.