Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca - Direct Connection for iPod, Satellite, Rear Camera

gasgtgasgt Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Subaru
I would like to hook up my iPod, Sirius Satellite Radio and Rear View Camera directly to the factory stereo navigation unit through a line-in/video-in/aux-in connection and not through an FM modulator or FM Transmitter or after market screens etc...

I have a 2006 Tribeca 5 Pas Lmt. w/Nav. I do not have the audio-in port in the rear of the vehicle like the 7 Pas. Anyone know if it's tucked away in the 5 Pas?

There is mention here of an iPod cable with RCA Video and Audio Plugs. Is there a direct connection to the stereo in the car? Is it in the back of the radio or nav screen? Anybody know how to pull apart the dash correctly to access the radio and nav screen?

What does the AUX IN button control on the factory radio?

I have also seen some posts here about using a Kenwood KVA-S300 to hook up a rear view camera to the Nav. The KVA-S300 offers 2 more Audio/Video RCA inputs. Could I use these to hook up an iPod? If so I believe I will be able to view iPod Video on the Nav Screen. Nice!

If I get enough information and help I am willing to undertake this elaborate installation of a rear view camera, iPod and also a Sirius Satelite Radio. I will take pictures and detail instructions and post here and also on my personal website so everything can be found in 1 place. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Comments

• spence66spence66 Member Posts: 39
    I have the Harmon Cardon for the ipod
    have turn wheel mounted by Circuit city by the arm rest and the display is on the inside window
    It is unfortnate that it is not direct
    but HC unit is the most steamlined after market
    I was also given the Starmate from Sirius as gift and had them install by drivers front corner and like i-pod I just have to find a station.
    It would be nice to have all integarated
    however i beleive in the end it was much cheaper they way that i did it
  • gasgtgasgt Member Posts: 3
    Nice Setup. I can't find a good radio station to use for the FM transmitter though. I've tried both a Griffin iTrip and a Belkin Tunecast with my iPod to no avail. Not sure if it's where I live in CT or maybe the Tribeca antenna is in an odd place.

I also have a Legacy GT wagon that I installed a Audio-In circuit board made by www.jazzyengineering.com and it works great. I'm on a mission to find some way to do the same with the Tribeca.

Thanks for your reply!
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Here's the info we've all be waiting for...how to hard wire your AUX/RSE for an iPod or other audio device:

kmartin, "Subaru B9 Audio/Entertainment & ipod Questions" #18, 5 Feb 2007 10:43 pm

and

kmartin, "Subaru B9 Audio/Entertainment & ipod Questions" #21, 6 Feb 2007 10:55 pm

(Seems to be two iPod forums here, the other in the Maintenance & Repair section.)

-Karen in AZ-- happy iPod and '06 Tribeca owner :-)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sweet, Karen.

Do you use CarSpace? They have a How-to section now.

I create a video for now to swap wiper blades (U-hook style):

http://www.carspace.com/ateixeira

-juice
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Yes that is an excellent suggestion. We would love members to start posting guides too!
    I see your name all over the place there, caliberchic!

-juice
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    I know, we wanted to get some good content in the guides before it was launched. I apparently have WAY too much time on my hands. :blush:
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    I was looking around online and found that they sell the OEM camera for like$240. Has anyone seen the camera? I have checked some of the other forum and it is not that hard to get the camera to work in '06.
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    What make/model is the OEM camera? What other wiring/accessories does it come with?

-Karen-
    I have no clue.. Was hoping you would know since you seems to be very informed on the car :P
    goto allsubaru.com and select 2007 b9 tribeca and then do a search on camera ....
    Seems like the iPod input is well documented but the back up cam isn't. We both looked in the same places, too. ;)

-juice
    There is a post in there that has the instruction on putting in cam. Besides NASIOC, legacygt.com has a posting too. From the looks of it, it is not too difficult. I just want to know if anyone has info on the OEM camera that dealers are selling as parts.

When it gets warmer,i'll take the lcd out and try it with a camcorder and see if i can get an image. Don't really want to spend $200 for nothing...
  • jensenlyjensenly Member Posts: 4
    Hi juice -

You seem to be very knowledgeable about Subies, so here's a question I hope you can help with.

I just bought a 07 Tribeca which came loaded with XM satellite radio. I want to switch to SIRIUS, but both SIRIUS and the dealer seem to be scratching their heads. Is it possible?

PS - I, too, have a 98 Forester and a Miata (though mine's a 97).

Thanks -

Lynn in LA
    I don't think you'll be able to do that without an external receiver, using the aux input jack.

But...I've heard the two may merge. I have no idea what that means for the hardware, as I'm not sure if they are compatible.

I do find it *very* strange that Subaru puts XM on the US built models and Sirius on the Japan-built models. :confuse:
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I think their protocols are different so as juice said you'll have to put in a box and use the aux-in for the Sirius.

Although they have merged (similar to Dish and Direct TV) the hardware and essentially everything else remains split. So you still have 2 competitiors but the money goes to the same place! :)

-mike
    Thanks, guys.

Just to be sure I understand (because I am not very good with electronic talk), do you mean I'll have to buy a Sirius radio unit, mount it somewhere on/near the dash and then run an antenna/receiver?

I have that set-up in my Forester, where the Sirius comes in through the car radio, but a separate Sirius radio unit is mounted behind my automatic gear shift and the antenna/receiver is located on my roof (wires hidden, of course).

Appreciate your patience....
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yup the only difference is that you can probably have it wired directly from the sirrius box to the radio instead of having to tune your radio to a particular station.

-mike
    ...using the aux input jack that comes standard on the radio. Sounds right. :shades:
    *sigh* :cry:

Oh well! Thanks for clarifying. :)

Lynn in LA
  • normstormsnormstorms Member Posts: 8
    Anyone have the 2.0 east coast nav disc for sale?
    Thank you
  • normstormsnormstorms Member Posts: 8
    Anyone know of an Ipod adapter for the 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca? One that charges and plays through the radio on an FM signal that also has some kind of mount? :)
This discussion has been closed.