Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• yellowbikedon1yellowbikedon1 Member Posts: 94
    Yes, I do mean bicycling.

Road a "quick" 30 this morning. The beginning temperature was in the mid 70's at 7:30 and an hour or so later, hit the low 80's. Ah, one of the great pleasures of living in Florida.

And, by the way, believe it or not, I'm beginning to see more Subarus on the local streets. Many WRX's (in addition to Serge's) and Foresters. I've met another resident who also drives a white '01 LL Bean. This makes three of us here! Pretty soon, the marque will become "common."

Don
  • smokennedysmokennedy Member Posts: 8
    Greetings to all. I'm new to the board but have used it for some great info. I just had to comment on the FL posts. I'm a native New Englander but enjoy living now in sunny Fl (brought here by the military and have loved it ever since). FL is good subie state especially in the I-10 area and Pensacola is a great place (a drive with cliffs over the water on "Scenic Highway). The torrential rains and slick roads make happy hunting grounds for the AWD. This country is great but I don't miss the snow!
  • yellowbikedon1yellowbikedon1 Member Posts: 94
    Welcome to the "gang." I, too, originally hailed from New England (CT) and came on down via Illinois! Good to have "news" from your region.

Don
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    6% ?? It sure seems higher to me. In my area, I really think Subies are now equal to or even greater in number than Toyota and Honda (excluding trucks). BTW, Vermonters like Audi quite a bit.

Greg
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    All four of you Florida Subie owners should get together some time. ;-)

-juice
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    There are usually 5 - 10 Impreza owners every friday at this cruise night locally...
    Proud owner of 25% of florida Subies
  • ann365ann365 Member Posts: 5
    g,day america,guess the conversation has moved on but some of you subie lovers were hankering for a turbo forester well up until recently us normally aspirated ozzies were only fed a 2 litre but having recently taken delivery of a 2.5 xs i am delighted with its response.the specs for the auto version list 80 to 100 klm/hr in 3.1 seconds, in the overtaking arena that must be up there with the greats;tell me if im wrong,nhmcck
  • caperosiercaperosier Member Posts: 58
    An apology to you southern FL types--just some light humor. Didn't realise that Mickey takes things so hard. Bert and I stuff.
    Yes, we do have serious bugs Downeast: horseflies,deerflies,normal house flies, mozzies (B-52 sizes), no-see-ums, knats, hawks attacking your head, chiggers.......etc. BUT: all around only for a few months of "poor sledding" in a so-called summer.
    Yes, snow and ice and slush on the roads at times for six months. Then one takes time to get somewhere with Madame Forester et al.
    It is a sweet time now with the colors and beginning of rost and ice on the cove.
    BTW--long underwear goes a long way to allowing one to enjoy outside year-round. You can always remove clothes in cold...we do.
    Nice hearing the comments...no offense meant.
    Mr. Chavin has spoken.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Another Australian! Welcome aboard! We have a couple of other Aussies who participate here in the Subie forums. Most notably Graham (Peters) who always post intelligent, thought-provoking and rather humorous posts.

If you visit the "Subaru Crew" here in the Edmunds Town Hall, and the "Meet the Members" and "Subaru Cafe," you will see some of his most recent posts. In fact, here are a string of posts he and I had last night: grahampeters "Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II" Oct 25, 2002 8:53pm

Hope to hear more from you here! :)

And yes, we're all anxiously awaiting the turbo Forester hee in North America!

Bob
  • hayduke01hayduke01 Member Posts: 128
    Just had my '02 S 5speed in for diagnosis of the dreaded Check Engine Light. Ended up with replacement of the oxygen sensor.

Printout I received at the end showed that they first checked exhaust system for leaks, checked fuel pressure, checked coolant temperature, then determined faulty OS. Not entirely clear whether that diagnosis was by process of elimination, or if they actually ran a test.

Didn't notice any performance problems while the CEL was lighted, nor any change after OS was replaced.

Overall, a minor inconvenience, but handled well by the dealer. Plus gave me a chance to look at the '03 Forester. Too bad the '03 side and seat back nets aren't easily adapted to earlier models.
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    I just looked up the XS on the Australian Subaru Site. I do not see a turbo version of the 2.5 engine. The standard 2.5 lists specs of:

112kw@5600 translates to 150 hp
    223Nm@3600 translates to 164 ft-lbs. torque
    0-100 kph at 9.9 seconds translates to 0-60 mph in 9.6 seconds

Thus, there is actually slightly less power than in the US version.

The old AU 2 liter turbo produced slighly more power, about equivalent to the US 2.5. But the AU 2.5 engine is apparently tuned to bring power and torque on at slightly lower rpms.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Welcome to a fellow Aussie. I'm in suburban Melbourne.

The Aussie Forester GT came witha 2.0l turbo, detuned from the WRX. IT was fast and desirable. With the introduction of the new series Forester, it has been temporarily deleted from the model line-up but will be reinstated next year as a 2.5l turbo. Should be fun!

Cheers

Graham
    Are you sure about the 2.5 turbo? As you know, that's been a rumor floating around for some time. I've yet to see confirmation of it though. My gut feeling is that you are right...

Bob
  • spudmanspudman Member Posts: 32
    After faithfully reading the posts on the CR-V discussion for at least a year, I finally drove the car of my dreams and was disappointed. I really like the Forester, however, and have narrowed my choices to a silver XS or XS premium w/o leather. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to having the gray cladding instead of the monocolor model? I'm leaning towards the two-tone XS though I like both. The sun roof really isn't a consideration;I can take it or leave it.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    No, there are no advantages one way or the other. It's whatever you prefer.

Bob
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Given the proportion of Foresters sold in Australia that were Turbos, I can't see any sane manufacturere missing the money. Subaru are definitely rational, and the attached comes from a post release test of the 2.5 naturally aspirated.

"Subaru Australia has renamed the range with the introduction of the new model. The base model is now the X, the Limited is replaced by the XS and a range-topping XS luxury pack is part of the launch line-up. What's missing is the turbocharged GT, which will be dubbed XT when it arrives in late 2003."

That seems to be the story from various sources, so its coming from somewhere consistent.

Cheers

Graham
    It doesn't confirm (or deny) the engine displacement, however. As you know there is a 2.0 XT already on sale in Japan. There are also, an unending stream of rumors about a 2.5 turbo just over the horizon. Let's hope it's the 2.5, as I think that engine would have a far more positive impact as to useful Forester-type applications.

Bob
  • rsay777rsay777 Member Posts: 100
    Hi all, approaching 5k miles and the car is performing very well. I finally figured out what to use the dash board storage compartment for. The radar detector fits nicely in there and is out of view. Doesn't seem to affect sensitivity. Not that I speed mind you, but I do like to know if there is a "smokey" hanging around.

Question: the keyless entry seems kind of flakey. I've replaced the battery in the xmiter but every so often I need to get within 3 feet of the car to activate. The environmental conditions are the same. Has anyone had problems with their key less entry? Bob L
    A couple of things to try:

I have had occasional problems with the old style unit made by Code Alarm. The Fob gets a lot of shaking while being carried around, and the battery sometimes does not make good contact with its holder. Giving the unit a tap or two against the palm of my hand seems to solve the problem for a while. A better solution is to open the battery compartment and clean the battery terminal and contacts with a clean pencil eraser. Be sure to wipe off the residue with a clean cloth. Then adjust the contacts to fit tightly.

Holding the unit up high helps to get the signal to the receiver unit under the dash.
    I am still hoping for a low pressure 2.5 turbo. A low pressure turbo can be set up to provide lots of torque at the low end for good acceleration, rather than lots of power at the high end where it will not do much good because of the limiter built into the ECU. With an LPT setup, as used by Saab and Volvo, there is little fuel penalty when driving normally, but lots of torque on tap when needed.
  • jimbob17jimbob17 Member Posts: 77
    spudman-- I got the cladding on the 03 X because I liked the gray and silver and because the 87 GL, I used to have, rusted first in the area where the cladding would be. I hope to avoid rust problems for all but the upper two thirds of the body.
    I found out later the additional benefit of not having as much to wax and being 6' 3 or 4" its easier on the back washing and waxing.
  • ghgemmerghgemmer Member Posts: 5
    I own a 2001 S model with platinum cladding. I have always waxed the cladding but I guess I really don't need to if it's not metal (is is plastic)? or is there some other reason to wax it? As jimbob17 indicated it would save a lot of time when waxing.

Greg
  • xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    is one of the things I worry about with cladding. However, my old VW had the black plastic cladding and never experienced any rusting problems.
    Thanks for the responses to my cladding dilemma.
    Visited the dealer(Wilkins Subaru) today to look at the Foresters again. Brought Mrs. Spudman with me and we both agreed we like the two tone look better than the monotone of the XS premium. As a bonus it's less expensive too.
    While I was looking at a Baja on the lot ,I lowered the tailgate to check it out more closely. Big mistake. I set off the alarm, a loud one too.
    Luckily nobody else was around and it eventually stopped.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Minor point: I think you mean "differential oxidation!"

tidester, host
  • xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    OK, first I can't believe I remembered the phrase.

Secondly, I can't believe I am looking it up in my old materials books.

Thirdly, I can't believe I remembered where the book was!

While the book calls it "differential aeration", our professor called it "differential oxygenation".

From the text:

"The most important type of concentration cell corrosion is differentail aeration, which occurs when one part of a metal is exposed to different air concentration from the other parts... Thus a differential aeration of metal causes a flow of current, called the differential aeration current."
    [...]
    "Frequently metals corrode under a scale deposit; wire scree usually corrodes at points of contact between wires. metals exposed to aqueous media corrode under blocks of wood or pieces of glass that screen the portion of metal from oxygen access. The presence of crevices as formed by an improper gasket fit gives rise to oxygen concentration cells, resulting in the corrosion of a metal at areas nonaccessible to air. Similar attacks have been observed at such surface irregularities as caivities and pits, to which the oxygen can not penetrate. The differential aeration type of corrosion is a localized attack on some restricted areas and results in characterisit pitting. Ths attack becomes more intensified with time because the corroded products accumulate around a small anodic area, making screening more effective."

QED :) In other words, make sure your surfaces are smooth, and there is no stagnant or standing water on a surface. In the case of cladding, the metal is galvanized and the cladding is non-metallic. It is highly unlikely any corrosion would occur. Besides, that's why there is the rust proof warranty!

Now, of course, you might have been engaging in a horrid pun. :) I certainly hope that does not herald the beginning of the PUNic Wars. :)
    I'm glad I bothered to comment else I wouldn't have learned all that neat stuff!

My understanding of the two terms is that oxidation refers to a chemical reaction (rusting, burning, etc.) while oxygenation refers to enriching oxygen content such as occurs when aerating water, i.e. dissolving oxygen in water.

As to the Punic Wars (2nd), would Hannibal have been successful if he had Subaru Foresters at his disposal?

(Notice how the host so skillfully segues back on topic! ;-)

tidester, host
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    ceterum censeo virum silvestrum turboendum esse ...

(I am afraid now I have to duck)

- D
  • joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    As a fan of NPR's Car Talk, I investigated Click and Clack's website, and came across this survey report --

http://cartalk.cars.com/Survey/Results/Demographics/Makes/subaru.html

Any observations?

• eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    Just my two cents on a few previous posts regarding the lower cladding....

First of all, the XS and XS premium (as well as the old S) all have painted lower cladding. Whether or not they are monochromatic, they are all painted plastic.

You need to wax them because waxing them protects the paint finish; it doesn't matter if it's metal or plastic underneath, you still need to wax painted surfaces. (I think Greg got confused about waxing the lower cladding because jimbob17 was talking about his X, which has unpainted lower cladding.)

Compare this to the X (and the old L), with unpainted plastic cladding. I had a '99 L and now have a '03 XS Prem, and from the standpoint of easy care, the unpainted cladding is WAY easier to take care of - just wipe it with your favorite protectant (Armor All, Vinylex, etc.) And you don't have to worry about scratching it with the shopping cart when loading your groceries. However, many feel that the painted cladding looks more upscale, which I agree with.

That said, I would NEVER base my decision on which model to buy by worrying which type is more prone to rusting! Cars in the 80's rusted. New cars rarely rust.

Get the one that has the features and looks that you like. Period. There's pros and cons to each choice.

Elliot
    So that says there are more females among us, but still mostly male, and we're more educated and more brand loyal. The dealers have some work to do, but the OCDers among us practice religious car care, and we're short?

Only that last tid bit surprises me. They missed the fact that most of us are named Dave, Mike, or have a "K" in our name. Shockingly, nothing about us using Macintosh computers, or owning 2 pets! ;-)

Definitely wax the cladding, if only to protect the finish. In fact, the lower portion takes the worst abuse, so it's what I would wax first.

Most of the steel is galvanized, in fact all but the roof IIRC. Rust should not be an issue unless you have body damage and leave it exposed.

Another difference - you'd have to order 2 bottles of touch-up paint. But a $4 who cares.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Joseph- Nothing surprising in those statistics. Subaru Owners are smarter than average! :-)

Re cladding and susceptibility to rust, don't forget that the plastic cladding is just that and that there are still metal body panels behind it. Still, I agree that today's autos are better manufactured to prevent rust and that the cladding will prevent dings and scratches which lead to exterior surface rust.

-Frank P.
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    Actually, most people see themselves as being taller & more attractive than they really are. Perhaps Subaru owners are simply more in touch with reality than others.
    :-)

Ross
    ...which ties in nicely with Frank's conclusion that we're smarter than the average bear. ;-)

-juice
    Nobody tell Bob but the Ford demographics paint a somewhat different picture. ;-)

-Frank P.
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    Almost everyone rates him/herself as a better than average driver. So who are all of those people I see on the roads?

Ross
    Nobody tell Bob

he he he

-juice
    One rule I've come to trust.
    That anything attracting magnets will turn to rust.

eps- I hope your right about new cars not rusting. Not to be adversarial but my first Chevelle had to be retired because the floor rusted out. The Monterey had to be retired because the trunk rusted out. The Subaru GL 87 had to be retired because the wheel wells and frame rusted out. The only one not retired due to rust was the Monza, believe it or not, and that nearly made 20 years.
    Frankly if not for rust I'd still have the Chevelle and Monterey.
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Put it this way - a galvanized steel panel will outlast all your other major components, including the A/C compressor, CV joints, water pump, engine seals, etc.

Unless it's damamged, of course. If you get a crease in metal it'll rust. Even dings and chips should be cleaned with naval jelly and then touched-up ASAP.

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    about the car outlasting me!

Greg
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    I can't find any jelly in my navel??!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lint makes a good substitute for Bondo....

Steve, Host
    No jelly? Use toe jam.

OK, it's late, I'd better go home. :-)

-juice
    I can't find any jelly in my navel??!!

The proper time to look is after you've finished breakfast in bed and before showering. Timing is everything.

tidester, host
    I'll let y'all know in 15 years how it resists rust. 8-)
    One more question before I make an offer on a new Forester. Are upgraded speakers and tweeters a worthy upgrade or an unnecessary expense? I know that if I don't get them now I never will, no matter my intentions.
    Also (last question, really)how should dealer installed options compare in cost to factory installed? I would be having the sound upgrades installed by the dealer.
    Thanks in advance for your responses.
  • ninianninian Member Posts: 16
    Get the tweeters, and go for speaker upgrades, but aftermarket might be a better deal on the speakers. Ask whether the Subaru upgrade speakers have paper cones and woofers. If so, don't waste your money, and go with the aftermarket. I replaced my base speakers with some Kenwoods I bought from Crutchfield and am very pleased with the improved clarity. Easy to do the installation yourself, too.
    Rick- If you won't do aftermarket, then yes, I think the upgraded speakers are worth it. The tweeters for sure make a noticeable difference.

Regarding cost, some dealers will install them and charge you the invoice price (the best you can hope for), many will want full retail (MSRP) for them and some will charge an installation fee in addition to the MSRP. The good news is that you're in the drivers seat until you sign on the bottom line so the price is fully negotiable. I'd fight hard for the invoice price and there's no way I'd pay above MSRP since installing factory speakers is something even the most mechanically challenged should be able to handle. Good Luck and let us know what happens.

-Frank P.
    I've heard the tweeters and they are definitely a plus. Also, aftermarket fitment is difficult, so go factory for those.

I have the premium sound speakers, replaced the base ones myself. The base speakers are cheap dual-cones, the premium's front speakers are true two-ways. They sound better at any volume, and also handle more watts. Go for it.

I'd expect the dealer to charge a fee for installation, maybe an hour or labor or so ($60-80). Replacing just the speakers themselves is EASY, I'm talking a 7 year old with a phillips screw driver could do it in 15 minutes.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.