Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee Diesel Option

mlordshipmlordship Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Jeep
Thinking about buying an 07 Cherokee, and I love diesels. But I am very concerned with Jeep's handling of the Liberty CRD. First they decreased the warranty from 7/70 to 3/36 between 2005 and 2006. Then they quit offering the diesel option. Now it appears that Jeep is making "bandaid" fixes to many of the CRD problems - in an appearant attempt to keep the Liberty CRD running until the warranties run out. It looks like many of the Liberty CRD owners are scrambling to buy extended coverage. This is the perception that I got from reading the L.O.S.T. forum. The Liberty CRD owners don't appear to be happy Jeep diesel customers.

Comments

• bollivierrabollivierra Member Posts: 2
    JUst bought a jeep cherokee diesel limited and noticed a green fluid from exhaust on my garage tiles on start up in the morning. I am a bit concerned but dealer say its normal . The vehicle only has 400KM on the odometer - help
  • bollivierrabollivierra Member Posts: 2
    JUst bought a jeep cherokee diesel limited and noticed a green fluid from exhaust on my garage tiles on start up in the morning. I am a bit concerned but dealer say its normal . The vehicle only has 400KM on the odometer - help
  • coolridercoolrider Member Posts: 84
    Did you buy one? If so please share your insights.
    The JGC CRD is own my list as a possible. What was the green stuff? Anything else to share? Other problems? diesel performance? and how about fuel economy? It must be lonely with the only one on this site?
  • wdowdlewdowdle Member Posts: 3
    So far love it. Not at all like the diesels of old. My mileage is below what the sticker says but that could have to do with my driving. I came from the Commander forum so I know about being dissatisfied and I don't think the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD is heading in that direction.
    wdowdle: Thanks for the reply. What model did you buy? How much? Lease? 4x2 or 4x4, Limited or Overland? What part of country? Thinking of doing something this week details would be appreciated. How did you feel about no rebate and the upcharge for CRD? :confuse:
    After doing some research the JGC CRD uses a ammonia fluid in the exhaust to convert nox to no2? wow! There is a tank of it somewhere in the exhaust system that should last quite awhile. I think that was the chemicals. You're puddle was it coolant or some eco friendly droppings from your JGC CRD :shades: ?
    wdowdle: Did you read my post? I have driven the 4x2 and 4x4. I thinking the 4x4 because the Q2 system is sooo sweet and it will bring it back when resale. 2000.00 off $43000.00 MSRP was a turn off when the gas models have such rebates and deep discounts it makes me leery of investing 10 grand more in one than anyone else. The diesel on the 4x4 is a 3700.00 option and comes with the same measly warranty as the gas (36/36) no more 7/70 or any powertrain coverage after the basic warranty is up. The dealer then quoted a 1750.00 for the extra warranty if Jeep does not believe in the Mercedes CRD should I? Diesel Pickup is warranted to 100k, what gives? comments-opinions anyone?
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Nobody is happy on LOST. I take whatever they say with a grain of salt.

I find the new GC CRD kinda boring. It's not loud enough for me, but I guess that's the future of diesel... quietness. :)
    Diesels take a while to break in. Drive it some more, your mileage will increase.
  • libertyloverlibertylover Member Posts: 6
    Yes I have to say that I like the loud diesels myself but quiet diesels are the future
  • libertyloverlibertylover Member Posts: 6
    I have driven the GC diesel and I really liked it. it was an overland and fully loaded but it stickered for almost $46k and even with the employee discount it was going to cost about $40k It is way over priced Now chrysler is offering a $1500 discount which helps but they need to offer the $3500 like you get on the gassers I think they need to be more price competitive
    libertylover: It's a 1500 rebate and 1000 cash bonus for a 2500 total. I have a quote that is less 1k than yours on a 45600 msrp I'm looking hard at it.
    Just bought mine! I'm from the liberty crd forum. The dealer was excellent! That makes it it even better. I drove five hours to get the color and options I wanted after waiting around and the closer one sold before I made up my mind. Drove it 875 miles after purchasing it! I could not pass up the shuttle launch with my new diesel. Yes I followed the break in instructions (it was easy) watching my mpg reading constantly climb. 20 mpg on first tank of 2.73.9 diesel (40) cetane. The book says only 50 cetane or better but I was sucking fumes after Traffic Jam of the Decade, seems everyone wanted to see the Atlantis roar off.
    Seriously, where do they expect us to find 50 Cetane diesel over here? lol.

Enjoy the Jeep! Please post some pictures!!!
    I will take some pictures soon. I have not researched the 50 cetane requirement. Is this going to be an issue? OMG I did see a post a while back about 49 cetane. Is this (40) like burning ethanol with 30% less bang? In this case I guess 20% less bang. If thats the case 20mpg is good for the 4X4 GC CRD.
    It has gone up another $1000! Not selling well? Liberty worries?
  • 13301330 Member Posts: 6
    Got a limited CRD 3 weeks ago. Love it so far. General driving MPG is 21. HWY about 23. Only 750miles. Had the Liberty CRD which got about the same MPG. The tranny shifting takes some getting used to. It has to heat up before shifting into 5th. Don't like the way the engine is slow to decellerate when you let off the throttle. It is like you are braking against the engine when you are slowing down because the RPM hangs up there around 1500 even when you shift to neutral just to see what is happening. Maybe I need a re-flash on the tranny.
    My JGC CRD is getting the same economy at 2k. I plan a 1.5k trip next month towing so for me this will be the mileage test/indication. The truck seems very tight (all wheel drive?) but I have not noticed any shifting issues when cold? I'm in Fla so cold is relative when it did not go below 82F last night. I certainly have not had any 1500rpm hang ups. It is very different to drive comparing it to my old Libby CRD (still miss it) especially the steering radius seems much shorter which does not make sense with JGC being fulltime 4X4 versus the Liberty part time 4X4. My Libby when running would get 25/31 easily without trying for better. It once achieved 33.7 I would drive another JGC CRD before I reflashed anything. When DC reflashed my Libby all seemed FUBAR'ed for good. I have not felt the braking you mention but I will mention that my wife's Magnum had a bad proportional brake sensor on the rear wheels which made it seem like the brakes wouldn't stop the car. Good luck and keep posting your experiences so we can tell if this vehicle is going to perform better than a lot of the Liberty CRD's did. What state are you in and is yours a 4X2 or 4X4?
    My JGC CRD is getting the same economy at 2k. I plan a 1.5k trip next month towing so for me this will be the mileage test/indication. The truck seems very tight (all wheel drive?) but I have not noticed any shifting issues when cold? I'm in Fla so cold is relative when it did not go below 82F last night. I certainly have not had any 1500rpm hang ups. It is very different to drive comparing it to my old Libby CRD (still miss it) especially the steering radius seems much shorter which does not make sense with JGC being fulltime 4X4 versus the Liberty partime 4X4. My Libby when running would get 25/31 easily without trying for better. It once achieved 33.7 I would drive another JGC CRD before I reflashed anything. When DC reflashed my Libby all seemed FUBAR'ed for good. I have not felt the braking you mention but I will mention that my wife's Magnum had a bad proportional brake sensor on the rear wheels which made it seem like the brakes wouldn't stop the car. Good luck and keep posting your experiences so we can tell if this vehicle is going to perform better than a lot of the Liberty CRD's did. What state are you in and is yours a 4X2 or 4X4?
    I am installing an older Nav radio in my 07 GC/crd. Anyone know how to modify the REC radio to use a Backup camera with? My understanding is that the newer model REC radio has built in video port. I know there is a site where you can send it in and have the mod but they charge $450. By the way, Coolrider, I am in NC near Charlotte and my CRD is 4x4. One more thing, there is an extra plug in behind my old radio (the RAQ radio) that came with the GC. The plug has 3 wires. Anybody know what that plug is for???
    I am no help here with the radio wiring, I am waiting until someone installs a "my gig" in a 2007 JGC. Then I will consider changing my rec out. Try posting in a more general spot. How are your problems going with the JGC?
    The highest I have found in Fla is 44. Anyone found better? I would like to try a tank of super diesel if it is available.
  • aferventusaferventus Member Posts: 1
    Do most of you get your oil changed at the dealership or do you buy the oil somewhere else? From what I can understand you must use 5W-30 oil that meets MB 229.51 specs. If you do go to the dealership how much does it typically cost for a change or just the oil itself?
  • davertdavert Member Posts: 23
    I haven't had nearly the same luck with the Grand Cherokee diesel as you guys have; in my Grand Cherokee diesel car review I only got over 20 mpg on the highway, and driving gently the best I could do around town was 17; if I put the hammer down, more like 13-15. Great truck otherwise. (This is the American version with the Bosch/Mercedes diesel engine.) ... lots of photos at the allpar.com site of this thing.
    Still haven't been able to get my Nav. (REC) radio to "see" my backup camera. The radio is the 2007 vintage and the camera is mopar as original. No help from Jeep on this so far. Have 2200 miles on the CRD and love it. Get about 21 mpg around town. About 23-24 on the super-slab.
    Finally got the REC radio to "see" my backup camera. Had to take to dealer and they had to re-program the firmware in the radio. Works fine now. Dealer had to download firmware re-set from Chrysler. Don't know if all dealers have that info.
  • joec999joec999 Member Posts: 1
    Can forum members please post the rpm readings of your Grand Cherokee Diesel at 55 mph or other various speeds. Thank You.
  • vajgccrdvajgccrd Member Posts: 5
    at 3763 miles on 2007 GDC CRD when, after 2 miles of driving, I was enveloped by smoke at intersection ... pulled over and blue smoke was coming from tail pipe ... followed me home ... called dealer for pick up. No diagnosis yet ... anyone else have this problem?
    Dealer reported normal DPF regen event would occur between 2800 & 3500 miles. Dealer suspects contaminated fuel ... vehicle has only received fuel labeled 15 PPM ULSD. Fuel issues are a logical explanation. No other damage seen. Anyone else experiencing smoke at regen events when using properly labeled fuel?
  • tjayweavertjayweaver Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get your camera? Any info on the install would be helpful as well

tjayweaver@hotmail.com
    Hmmm, I am getting low twenties even towing. 18-20 City. I have noticed rhe hottest days drop it the most. Hope this helps.
    lol, Here I am nearing Knoxville on I-75 105 degrees, towing, the vehicle was loaded near max gross weight and while climbing this long grade when I stare into the mirror and see a cloud of smoke in tow I am sure my chosen words could be heard in Detroit/Stuggart as this is the first long trip since my Liberty CRD was repurchased under the law by DC. I was feeling really sick with my decision to try another DC diesel when quickly the smoke cleared, power increased. I then remembered the burn off. I hope that is what happened. After reading your post I wonder if I got a tank full of expired fuel. It until the previous tank has always run on Hess fuel until the this trip into a 66 truck stop for diesel in south Ga. It was labeled ulsd. No other issues or complaints, dealer visits. This fulltime 4X4 and these tires are exceptionally good on slick pavement and standing water. :shades:
    I've now had a lot more knowledge about the bad fuel I received ... the station at which I was purchasing fuel was dispensing 375 ppm low sulfur diesel from pumps marked for the correct 15 ppm ultra low sulfur our vehicles require. One tell tale sign of whether you are or have been getting bad fuel is the frequency of diesel particulate filter regeneration events. I am told a frequency between every 2800 to 3600 miles is normal. I had a second smoky regen 600 miles after the first. Jeep dealer has been very helpful in working through this. Love the vehicle. Agree on the tires.
    Additional info ...

A "normal" active regn event like this should not cause such a dramtic smoke event. There are other possible causes than just bad fuel. Strongly recommend you report this to your dealer at your next service stop and have them check for any possible fixes in case it is another problem.
  • garry7garry7 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee 5 cyl. diesel, and the nr.2 injector has been leaking badly,took to a mechanic who fitted a new seal at a cost of $80.00 Aus. and still leaking
    Anybody else experienced this problem ?? and what happens if I don't worry about it ?? :lemon:
    Not familiar with your model. If the leak is inside the cylinder it will cause misfire and build up carbon in that cylinder. Also the extra fuel will drain down into the oil sump and contaminate your oil to the point your engine will fail. I think I would try a new injector. You may find one in a salvage yard.
    I presume your vehicle has an MB engine and a fuel system from Bosch. Based on the vintage, I'd contact the dealer and push for information related to possible known problems with that vintage fuel system / engine combination. I don't know your national recall or other consumer protection rules, but pushing for more info through dealer/manufacturer and linking to MB source may be helpful. Focus on that particular vintage engine.
    Sorry to read of your FI problems. In the USA this is our first year of having a diesel option in the JGC. We had a 2.8 CRD Liberty for 2005 and 2006 but no more. The down under is lucky to have this option in all Jeep models and multiple choices of engine size to boot.
  • kgabehurtkgabehurt Member Posts: 84
    A very informative video of the Bosch diesel 3L V-6 engine in the Jeep Cherokee. 30% better fuel economy with great power. But does NOT sound nor smell like a diesel.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/.../24/068484.html
  • sahara111sahara111 Member Posts: 51
    Hi,

Just wanted to chime in here with a quick report. I have posted mileage numbers for my 2007 GC Diesel Limited over in the other forum GC Real World Mileage (something like that...). I'm really loving the vehicle and for my driving - considering the weight of vehicle, the lousy aerodynamics and the heavy, off-road Quadra-Drive II full-time system - I'm doing great on the MPG.

The vehicle has served me well, 17600 miles at this point. No problems. Very comfortable, quiet, great cruising range, easy to steer, very nice cornering for a mid-size SUV (WAY better than my previous Landcruisers and Trooper) and works well on steep jeep trails (the couple times I've done that..). I haven't towed yet, but have wanted a camping trailer and just haven't committed yet. Also agree on the stock tires - mine work well including the constant wet roads here in the Pacific NW. There was one recall dealing with the braking system; had that done.

I might add that I keep my tire pressure a bit higher than 'normal' I guess. I have had it down to 32psi, but now keep it around 39psi cold - it handles WAY better (safer) at 70-90 mph this way, and I assume is helping the mpg just a bit too....and with hardly any 'comfort' penalty since I find the vehicle still quite comfortable and quiet on my long commutes here in the Puget Sound (over very crappy roads).

It's too bad Jeep/Chrysler hasn't really advertised this option. They also need to offer it in a basic/Laredo config with 2-wheel drive (2008 models?). I would imagine it would get at least 2 mpg more that way. But I'm very, very happy I bought the vehicle.

Later, and good luck to you all.
  • sahara111sahara111 Member Posts: 51
    Hi, I assume there are still many 2007 diesels left in your area.

If helpful, I was told by a friend that there is a white 2007 Ltd and a black 2007 Ltd available, still new, at Parksmotors.com (Augusta, KS). I believe they are discounted by at least 12k or more.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    While you are here, can you tell us what your city/highway MPG is???...

In the time it took you to type..."I have posted mileage numbers for my 2007 GC Diesel Limited over in the other forum GC Real World Mileage (something like that...)"...you could have just typed "I get XX / YY mpg with my Jeep" and let us know... :P ;) :confuse:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's the link: Jeep Grand Cherokee Real World MPG

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
This discussion has been closed.