Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS Overheating Problems

1235»

Comments

• HappsterHappster Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, you need to recalibrate the abs every time you disconnect a component to reset the system and the light. A bad clock spring mimicks a disconnect every time the connection is lost. If other control switches on your steering wheel are not working it's a slam dunk solution for your abs issues. Very easy you only need a wheel puller. The sensors usually don't fail unless messed with...very delicate to the touch.
  • cmarshall8787cmarshall8787 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    How do i go about changing fan to electric? what do i do with the hoses uning thogh hydraulic fan? what type of relay do i use if im going to hook up a switch to turn it on?
  • dariggerdarigger Member Posts: 1
    just recycle the hydraulic lines back into the pump and get a double fan that is higher cfm and fully electric, mine was installed yesterday, but car still has temperature climb for some mysterious reason, hopefully I will have that answer tommorrow. Changing my fan got rid of overheating when a/c turned on. 2 problems 1 down 1 to go.
  • cmarshall8787cmarshall8787 Member Posts: 2
    so jus leave the lines connected to the fan motor and mount it some where?please let me know what other problem you found for temp issue.
  • adrian31adrian31 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Vette, was wondering if you had any advice for me, I have an 03 Lincoln LS V8 3.9 L with 106,000 miles, and soon as the car is warmed up and being driven the fan runs on high speed and the sound is real loud and it'll stay on and I also see the temp Guage slightly rise above its normal halfway mark than drop back down (it'll keep fluctuating), I know it's not normal because when I had bought the car at 27,000 miles it would Run quietly. I've taken it to mechanics and at one point I was told I needed a new waterpump, had that replaced, the thermostat replaced, the coolant reservoir replaced, and just recently another mechanic told me that there's a secondary cooling system that went bad (any validity to that) also Theres oily looking substance that appears in the coolant reservoir but coolant isn't getting mixed in with the oil. ... I'd appreciate your input or anyone else's Thanks
  • adrian31adrian31 Member Posts: 2
    I think I might be having the same problem, I also smell coolant everyone I get out of the Lincoln after driving it. .... how did you fix the reservoir cap problem?
  • skiefer28skiefer28 Member Posts: 1
    How do you get the hydraulic pump and pulley out? I can't figure it out. 
  • vjoneslincolnvjoneslincoln Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Lincoln LS V8 was overheating for years. The problem was finally solved when a sensor for the fan was replaced. It's located underneath the car in the front center.

I'm posting this because in my search over the years, I never found this solution.  A random guy at a gas station told me about it.  Hope it helps someone else.  GOD bless!
  • 2003v8lse2003v8lse Member Posts: 5
    Overheating fix! I have 3 Lincolns and all had same issue. Thermostat is located on the cold hose return from radiator and will not get hot to open, causing overheat, plastic parts and degas bottle to split. Thermostat should be at the hot return hose near engine so it opens!! Remove thermostat by cut/knock out the center piston and reuse the ring seal. You may also use the large spring and plate to keep the internal hot bypass hole blocked on 2003. I use piece of round shovel handle to block the hot bypass hose on 2002. Now you have constant flow thru rad, easy on pump motor, hot return will not overheat. Add an aftermarket thermo to hot return hose if needed.
  • tykin63tykin63 Member Posts: 1
    My son bought a 2001 Lincoln LS v6 at the end of February. I have replaced the battery and alternator already. Now it has started to overheat. He was sitting at his friends house and turned the car on. After a few minutes it began to overheat and he turned it off. When he got out, there was a puddle of water or antifreeze on the ground. When I got to his car, I checked the reserve and it still had antifreeze in it but was low so I added some. It started fine so we headed home ( a 10 minute drive). On the way, his temperature gauge shot to the top and it began making a rattling noise. The noise sounds like something hitting a fan. As he headed up the hill to our drive way it began to lose power. He could barely get it to go 20mph. I also noticed after he parked it, there was water/antifreeze dripping from bottom of the car where to the right of the tire underneath where the reserve is. I was thinking the water pump until the noise started. I hate to have to tow it to a mechanic and pay a small fortune if it is something that is simple or not major. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well driving it wasn't the best idea....BUT....first thing you have to do is pressure test the cooling system with a pressure pump to see if there are any leaks that could cause this.

If no leaks are observed with the system under pressure, then, keep the system pressurized, extract the spark plugs one by one and look for coolant on the plugs. That would indicate a bad head gasket.

You can also buy a chemical test kit pretty cheaply at Autozone, and test the radiator coolant for combustion gases (again, a head gasket issue).

Other possibilites are a stuck thermostat, so I suppose you could temporarily remove that and test it on the stove top. (in a pan of hot water).

• Jgrab1975Jgrab1975 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Lincoln LS 3.9 V8 that I just replaced thermostat in. I noticed in city driving it starts to get warm and I can hear the fan moaning or whining a little more. I just found out it's hydraulic engine fan and my fluid is low for both it and the power steering. I guess the Valvoline Oil change place doesn't check everything they say they do. Could I be lucky enough that adding hydraulic Mecron ATF will stop the car from getting warm?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    If the fluid is low then the system has probably developed a leak.
  • kkalldaykkallday Member Posts: 3
    Notice to all Lincoln LS owners if u are experiencing problems with ur ls and has had a safety concern please file a complaint to 18883274236. In order to get a recall on this vehicle people need to file a complaint. I am a proud owner of a 02 Lincoln LS 3.9 v8 and I myself have filed a complaint to get an investigation started to possible get recalls on this vehicle the more complaints the better. I love my car but it’s breaking my bank. Something needs to be done about this. If we all ban together and let it be known the issues with the tranny and shifting and vehicle shutting down while driving hopefully ford will issue a recal that will save us Lincoln LS owners lots of money. Thanks kate
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    I'm sorry to hear about your vehicle problems, Kate.

But, your vehicle is 16 years old. At what point is Lincoln off the hook for repairing your very, very used car?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kkalldaykkallday Member Posts: 3
    when the things start becoming a safety hazard and I take very good care of my car. There’s no reason a car should just shut down while driving 70mph on the highway then start back up like nothing happen. 
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    kkallday said:

when the things start becoming a safety hazard and I take very good care of my car. There’s no reason a car should just shut down while driving 70mph on the highway then start back up like nothing happen. 

Well... sure there is a reason. That's what a mechanic is for. To diagnose the problem and fix it. Machines don't work forever, without problems and repair costs.

But, you also have to be willing to let an old car go, once it's not reliable or safe. They don't last forever, and won't all be cheap to own or maintain.

You'll be happier and better off financially by selling the car, than waiting for Lincoln to help you out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator