Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Vue Electrical Problems

tosha6582tosha6582 Member Posts: 1
edited January 2014 in Saturn
Recentley I have noticed that my security light has been blinking hysterically along with my interior lights when I open my doors and also the dash lights. I was just curious if anyone else has had this issue and is it easy to fix on my own or should I just take it in to the dealership???

Comments

• gert7to3gert7to3 Member Posts: 1
    Does your model have the remote locking option? If you locked your vehicle with the remote switch, then opened it with a key, the security system might be triggered. Try locking it, then unlocking it with the remote. Then try manually locking and opening with the key. This might solve the problem.
  • estrtbndfanestrtbndfan Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: :lemon:
    My Vue has a number of electrical problems going on right now.I bought it brand new in March last year.Right now it has just over 18,000 miles.
    The other morning I went out to go camping and the thing was dead.I got it jumped and went to the camp site .when I
    turned it off I heard the heater blower fan still running.I know this is what caused the battery to die. so I got under the hood and pulled the fuse.No big deal...but this is just a long line of electrical mishaps THIS THING HAS/IS HAVING.
    About three months ago I was turning up the radio volume from the steering wheel control.I hit the up button...and it went down.I hit the down button....and it went down....
    I then banged my fist on the steering wheel outer ring (right alongside the controls) and hit the button again ....and it went up and down with the right buttons.
    Also the heated seat buttons are acting up,and then the child window lock button doesn't work either.

I heard a lot about Saturn having all sorts of electrical problems with many of their lines.
    Just a shame I didn't hear it a year ago.
    So Tuesday I'm going back to the Dealer and telling them of my newest problem.
    And I am going to tell them they better give me a brand new battery as well.since this fan problem totally drained mine.

This will be the second trip there under a month and a half.
    last trip was for front ball bearings going bad...at only 14,000 miles.While waiting for it I was listening to the other peoples finding problems and there was 6 others (different make cars) that were having the same problem...

that scares me big time.......

Anyone hear of a huge electrical problem with Saturn?

Thanks
    estrtbndfan
  • kaynkayn Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 with only 25K miles and its been acting up lately too. First I noticed the parking break sort of freaking out every once in a while when I would come to the first stop after staring out somewhere. Then it would stop dinging and flashing at me and it wouldn't happen again for a while.

Next, the CD player started rejecting CD's - again, just random times and if I kept messing with it, it would eventually work.

Today was the kicker though (the tow truck is on the way as I type), I was parked on a hill and used the parking break and when I drove away, with the PB off, the dinger and lights for it would not go off. Just kept screaming at me that the PB was on when it wasn't. I tried several times to set and release the break but nothing changed.

Then I went to get gas and filled the tank - and sat there in the parking lot for a while trying to decide if I should drive it home or not. I finally decided to try to drive home (about 30 miles) and as I was pulling out of the gas station, the gas meter went up to 3/4 full and then promptly went back down to E. Half way home, the lights came on - not the day time runners, but the ones that come on automatically at night.

I called the dealership right away and they said that I shouldn't drive it anymore and they were sending a tow truck.

Oy vey....

Good luck with yours! :confuse:
  • esteinestein Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 VUE with the same "radio volume on steering wheel issue" as you.
    I brought it back to the dealer. They replaced the switch on the steering wheel. It's now a few weeks later and the same problem is back.
    Need to bring it back to the dealer again.

Also, has anyone noticed that if you listen to AM for a while, then change back to FM, the FM volume is low (if it is set around 35 for example, it will sound as if it is set at 15)? This has happened a few times. If I turn the radio off when this happens, then back on, the volume is where it should be.

Other than the radio, they had replaced the middle console compartment, since the storage door would stick.

Hopfully that's it for me.

Good luck with those issues. Hopfully, Saturn has found the real fix for your electrical problems
  • joebo1usjoebo1us Member Posts: 1
    What wound up being the fix for your lighting problems?
  • joye2joye2 Member Posts: 7
    The same thing is going on with my daughter's 2003 Saturn Vue. We have taken it to a few local mechanics in the area. They are all saying that the problem is in the computer. I think that those of us who are going through this need to contact Saturn because this is a bigger problem than thought to be. I thought it was something that my daughter had done. Her two children ride in this vehicle with her and I believe it is dangerous. Her steering wheel gets difficult to turn also at times. The gas hand goes from full to empty and vice versa. The locks continuously are locking and unlocking. There are times that we have to unlock the vehicle manually from inside to get out. I don't know who we all need to contact but it seems there should be a recall if several people are having this problem. We have even been told that eventually the Vue will shut down and we won't be able to drive it. Any suggestions out there??? We need help!!!!
  • joye2joye2 Member Posts: 7
    I don't know if you ever got your problem repaired. My daughter's Vue is at Fuller Chevrolet in our little town. The BCM is what is having to be replaced. The cost through them is $570.00 and carries a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty. Through Saturn, it would have been only $30.00 more. Is your steering also hard at times?
  • bradlecjbradlecj Member Posts: 2
    The '04 VUE that my wife drives is having some very confusing electrical problems. I was mid-way through installing a trailer hitch and stopped work so she could use the car to run errands. The car wouldn't start--there were only rapid clicking noises. The interior lights were flashing on and off, but it appears that all other electrics are not working--radio, exterior lights, locks/windows/etc. Thinking that the battery might be dead, I tried jumpstarting to no avail. I checked several of the fuses and none seem to be blown. While installing the trailer hitch, I clipped and exposed some wires in the trunk for the wiring harness, and maybe they shorted to something, but I can't see how it could destroy the whole electrical system. I've re-attached the wires but nothing changed. What's happening?
  • saturn54saturn54 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same locking and unlocking issues on my 2003 five speed manual transmissioned VUE. Lights would flash and it acted like it was possessed. I drove it to the Saturn Dealer and they replaced the main ECM and that was the last of that problem. The dealer did a great job of diagnosing the problem and fixing it.
  • skausskaus Member Posts: 11
    Hi All
    Yesterday I was 95 miles from home and I had a transmission leak from the filter.
    I lost 3 qts of oil. I replaced the filter and put 3 qts back . The reason I looked under the hood was 2 fold. I kept stalling at my destination and the ABS light was on. The engine would stall only if I applied the brake pedal.

Six hrs later in panic mode ,having to drive 85 miles back home I found 1 solution.
    Remove fuse from brake and I made it home. If I but the fuse back in and press the brake pedal the engine will die .

Okay my transmission was soaked with oil. I cleaned off all oil. I checked the wiring harness and it was clean .

**In front of transmission are 2 sensors or switches.
    If I look at wiring diagram it shows Brake transmission safety interlock ,Brake sense switch and stop light switch all in series. Could one of these be my problem?
    Another thing when I step on brake pedal the dash board left and right signals light up dimly .
    Please let me know what you think. Thanks
  • lb61lb61 Member Posts: 2
    A couple of months ago I took my 2007 Vue in because the interior lights came on and would not go off. After two trips to the shop they could not find out what was going on - in fact they could not get it to happen while it was there.

This week we had a big storm and all of the interior lights came on and the doors unlocked on their own. I brought it in and it was determined that the sunroof drain was completely clogged and the water was instead draining around all of the electrical wires and then draining onto the floorboard.

While I was picking up a rental car, someone in the rental office said I was the 3rd person this week with that problem and that they had seen this several times during the past year. They told me the problem was happening with Vues and Outlooks. I have not mentioned this yet to the service dept, but will when I pick up my car. This is my 2nd Vue and I never had any problems with the first one. Evidently there is some design flaw in the '07's and '08's. I have not seen any posts anywhere about this and was surprised considering the car rental people seemed quite familiar with the problem.
  • neilpilotneilpilot Member Posts: 3
    You mention that "Evidently there is some design flaw in the '07's and '08's". I just bought a 2008, and it's early but no problems yet. Curious why you lump 07 and 08 together, since the 08 appears to be a total redesign.
  • jrdpajrdpa Member Posts: 5
    They have since had a recall. I bought my 2008 Vue in November 2007 and had to take it in sometime in January due to the recall for that. They sent postcards in the mail to the owners. Mine wasn't affected, but I took it in anyhow. All it was is they had to reset something on the computer. It was causing lights to stay on too long and drain the battery.
    2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium - 105,000 miles
  • tlt68tlt68 Member Posts: 3
    I'm so glad I found this website. I've been having issues with my 04 Vue since the summer. I started my car one morning and it worked fine. I went out later in the day and it wouldn't start (the windows work, the radio worked). I had it towed to the dealership and they told me an animal chewed all of the wires in my car. I still don't believe this could happen in a matter of 4 hours. I had to have a new wire harness put in (covered by warranty-dealer said it was a defect because if he said an animal did it, the warranty company wouldn't pay for it) and I also had to pay $1200 out of my pocket for a new computer.

Since I've had it fixed, the ABS light, emergency break light, the car with the wrench light and the t/c light have been coming on and/or beeping for no reason. I've brought my car back to the dealership 4 times. Every time they told me it was a loose wire. It's at the dealership at the moment (for the past 2 weeks) and now they are telling me it's a computer issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know anything about the lemon law in NJ? I never saw the wires that the "animal chewed". This is getting ridiculous and I'm ready to tell them to just keep it.
    Go to http://www.mylemon.com/ It's for PA and NJ. I have contacted a lawyer from PA and they got back to me rather quickly. In PA at least it's for new and used cars. You can get compensation for your problems, but it's like 10c a mile in PA and based on the mileage on the vehicle the first time you take it in so it isn't worth that for me.

Mine has been a moisture issue this time (4 times). The inside of the windshield was freezing over. They've found 2 others with this issue, for different reasons, and are looking to see if it is one cause this time. I've only been patient because I understand that it doesn't do it every morning and that they need to reproduce the problem to fix it. One other had a leak in the cargo area, which I don't, they can't find any leaks, and the other had a heater core leak. Mine is showing it may have that, but it isn't leaving a puddle, and it's odorless (heater core leaks) so they're taking it apart to see if it is leaking just enough to soak the insulation and make it freeze. This is their last attempt though or I'm lemon lawing it, and I've told them that.
  • texmextexmex Member Posts: 4
    Is anyone with an '08 Vue having problems with the gas gauge? We'll fill it up and by the time we get home, which is less than .5miles, the gauge has moved to 3/4 full! Curious to know if you all out there are having the same problem.
    We also had an electrical problem with our passenger rear window. My son rolled it down and it never came back up. We had the VUE for ONE day and had to send it back to the dealer. So far, I'm not impressed. I told my wife we should have bought the Subaru Tribeca.
  • tlt68tlt68 Member Posts: 3
    I actually had the same problem with my 2004 Vue a few months after I bought it. It was fixed but now 4 years later I'm having issue with that, the spedometer dropping to zero, the steering getting tight and some lights coming on while I'm driving.
    I never had any problems until the windshield started freezing up inside. I finally got it back on the 13th (took it in Feb 25th) and they had replaced the heater core. (So far so good.) The dealer sent my photos and video in to Saturn engineering and they are looking into it. The dealer, since I started taking mine in, has had 6 new ones on the lot doing the same thing so they are looking into how moisture is getting into it because nothing but the windshield and back window are wet. Everything else is as dry as a bone.

On another note, they didn't put some parts back together very well, there's a gap in the plastic piece behind the steering wheel, little gouges in the plastic molding where you step in, and on the glove box door from them taking it apart. They're replacing these for me. Oh, and they swear the steering wheel is one piece and they didn't do anything to it, but it can be hard to turn and it squeaks sometimes now. My thinking is if you took my entire dash, center console, and seats out, wouldn't you have to do something to the steering wheel to be able to do all that considering it's part of the dash?? :sick:
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Is anyone with an '08 Vue having problems with the gas gauge?

When we got our '08 VUE last August, we noticed the same problem. It actually cleared itself up after a few thousand miles; now when we fill the tank, the gauge reads correctly.

Wish the mileage was a bit better, though ... getting about 18-19MPG in mixed driving so far.
  • jonihjonih Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2006 VUE new 2/06 and started bringing it to the dealer 8/07. My problem is when Im driving my engine light comes on and then the power down light I will start loosing power and have to pull over ASAP. Once I am stopped the car will not move and I have to shut it off and try to turn it back on and hope that is will work long enough to get off the road and in a safe place. It would not always happen just sometimes but often. I brought it in 4 times and each time I was told it was all fixed to get it and it happen again. It worked fine for about 6 months and then started again. I have contacted corporate 2 times with no real help. I told them I wanted another one and this was a real safety problem and was told no. I was told I should be happy that they are even fixing it without charge. I would be happy if it was really fixed. Has anyone had any of these problems or heard of anything? Please I really need some help. I dont have money to buy another car and this our only "working" car for my family. My hubby's car is falling apart. I bought this cause I thought if would be safe.
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    Hi Joni,

I've heard of this problem - the reduced power feature is telling you that there's a problem with the circuit that connects your gas pedal with the throttle body on the motor. Basically, it goes into reduced power mode as a safety precaution.

There are 3 components to the syetem - the gas pedal, the throttle body and the throttle position sensor. It works like this: you press the gas pedal, a sensor on the pedal tells the throttle body how much to move the throttle under the hood and the throttle position sensor monitors to see that the gas pedal and throttle body agree. When they don't agree the car goes into reduced power mode as a safety precaution. Chances are one of those 3 components are not working correctly. Usually its the throttle body or the throttle position sensor that need to be replaced. If your dealer hasn't replaced these but instead just reset the computer, the problem will come back just like yours has.

My suggestion: try another dealer and explain your problem to them - now that you understand basically how it works you're better equipped to talk them into replacing the part that you need - best of luck!! Hope I helped...
  • jonihjonih Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for the info. I really hope this last time it was in the shop is the last. They replaced the sensors and rewired everything cause they said the wires where shorting the gas pedal sensor. This last time in happened they said they had connected the wires with but connectors and they thought that the wiring was not getting enough power through and so they soddered them. So far does this sound like I should be ok now? Do you think I should still be worried? I am so freaked out to put my baby in the car now!!

THANKS!!!!
    Don't be freaked out...the Vue is one of the safest cars on the road - bought mine after I totalled a 95 Saturn wagon, broadsided by a full size 4x4 truck on the drivers side, walked away without a scratch...

Anyway...I like the fact that they did 2 things - replaced sensors & replaced wiring...today's cars are so sensitive to good electrical connections its unbelievable. One bad connection can be a nightmare on a specific system...I think you're gonna be good..
    All the best,
    John
  • mudder304mudder304 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 06 Vue 3.5L V6 AWD. The issue that I'm having is with what I believe is second or third gear. At 1400 RPMs the engine sounds like it wants to stall as if I were driving a standard tranny in too high of a gear. Trying to find anyone else with similar symptoms or any advise Thanks
  • live2bwyldlive2bwyld Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday my battery went died. I got it jumped. Now the radio will not turn on. The clock will not turn on either. i did check the fuses...any things else I can check???
  • cokebottlecokebottle Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Head lights were left on for 4 hours yesterday. I put a charger on the battery. I got the Vue home but radio is completely dead. I looked in my owner manual and it said the theft deterrent feature can activate after a power loss. You need to enter the 4 digit code with the key in the run position and the radio will reactivate to normal. If you don't know the code (in my case) you will have to take the Vue in to Saturn to have reactivated.

Just what I found out yesterday.
  • tkmirallestkmiralles Member Posts: 1
    Our Vue has had several problems:
    1. Daytime running lights- were intermittent, then failed. Dealer first replaced battery terminal, seemed to work for a while, then failed.
    2. After the Day time running lights failed, the dash lights went out.- Dealer replaced a Daytime running light resister ($480.00) seemed to fix the DTRlights, but had the car for a week and said that the dash board harness needed to be replaced ($1600.00) and that there was a wiring problem (you think?). I said no thank you, went to AutoZone and bought some dash lights that stick on the dash glass and plug into the lighter plug (with a switch) $16.00.
    3. I thought we were out of the woods, NO! now the tail lights do not work with the head lights on, but work when the brakes are pushed.

Can anyone please help with some advice, fix ? etc...
    I just thought I would update the group/thread.

They did fix all the parts they didn't put back together right, for the most part. They replaced the piece behind the steering wheel (squeaking stopped, steering wheel stiffness was better), replaced the moulding where you step in, got the other gouged places out without replacing anything. Still no clue where the mystery screw came from. Still had the tapping noise in the engine.

Oh, and once I got it back from that my wiper fluid was leaking again (3rd time). Come to find out that the o-rings are bad on the fluid reservoir because in the '08 they made the reservoir and neck two pieces instead of one and Saturn sent a bulletin to the dealers about this because it would cause leaks when full or almost full, but it would quit when the fluid level was below the o-rings. Sooo they had to replace the reservoir and all that for me. (Rental car #8 or #9)

I decided I was fed up with all of this and didn't want to have problems again in 9 months or so (winter) in case the freezing wasn't fixed (they literally said "they hope", "they pray", "they think" it was fixed but we wouldn't know until next winter) and I was tired of wondering what is next and would they fix it right or not. Saturn wouldn't take it back after I invoked the lemon law and my lawyer didn't think I'd win in court, so I got a settlement. Saturn tried to low-ball me, I asked for more, and got more, though not what I asked for. My lawyer does this every day and said they don't pay out as much as they used to so that was a good settlement. I basically got almost all of my five payments back. The Saturn salesperson herself literally said, "whats the big deal?" to me when trying to get me to compare mine to the way a brand new one drives and behaves with the a/c and such (sounds like it's going to lift off when you first turn the a/c on). Got another similar comment out of someone else there. I later found out the newer production Vues have a different heater core in them so methinks Saturn may quietly be trying to cover this up so they don't besmirch their newly redesigned Vue.

I took my Vue around to various dealers to see who would give me the most for an 08 XE V6 with 3,500 miles on it. I ended up trading for an 09 Subaru Forester at the dealer I bought the Vue from because the dealer I bought from (the Subaru part at least) really worked for me and gave me 500 less than my highest offer for the Vue. Basically I got a new vehicle for $60 more a month and the same insurance per month. Everyone else was trying to raise my payments by 100-200+ per month.

I still hate that I had to do this since I loved it so much before the problems started, but to me it seemed a waste to keep paying for a vehicle I hoped would not have anymore problems. :(

So far the Forester is getting 22 city and 26 hwy (only been on it once) on average and it has 455 miles on it. I'm thinking it might get better as it is broken in since vehicles typically do. :shades:
  • vuelarryvuelarry Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to install trailer towing light & plug connection at the rear of '06 Vue. Saturn sells an OEM harness part number 12499844 for $152.04. I do not want to pay that much and hope to purchase less expensive kit from Wal-Mart, like a plain generic 4 prong flat plug. I need to know if anyone has done this and what experience-good and bad you had. I really do not want to cut into the harness and splice IF I do not need to. I have removed the 2 plastic cargo buckets in the rear, left and right and have exposed the harness and plugs that are located under them. The right side has a fuse connected to it. Does this trailer light connection set up need a diode safety. please reply as soon as possible. thanks-Larry
  • bradlecjbradlecj Member Posts: 2
    Larry,

I did this myself with my '04 VUE. The harness did not have a fuse attached to it, but I used a plain 4-prong harness from a hardware store for less than $10. I did have to splice the wires, since my VUE did not have a harness connector, but just wire loops to splice into. Overall, the toughest part was routing the wiring around the cargo bucket. There was no easy place to route the wires through without drilling through metal. I wound up routing the wire over the lip where the cargo bucket is installed into and loosely installing the cargo bucket over it. The other thing that I screwed up was that I left the cargo door open while I was installing it and the battery drained.

Hope this helps a little.
  • vuebluesvueblues Member Posts: 2
    For the second time (the first time being over the Memorial Day Weekend); my speedometer drops to zero, the a/c turned off (this happened yesterday, I was not happy, East Coast heat wave), the airbag icon came on and the engine power dropped. The only difference between yesterday and the first time is that the engine light did not come on this time. The first time they said it was a leak in a seal around a connector and had received a service bulletin from Saturn headquarters. This time (they are keeping it over night) they think it s a connector; also, the air conditioner is pitiful (even before the heat wave) the air is tepid. I am beginning to think I have a lemon; I bought the car in January of this year; I have read some of the posts re computer sensors but just curious if anyone else is having trouble with an 08 Vue. Thanks in advance.
  • baxter097baxter097 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I have a 2004 VUE, 5sp manual, 4-Cyl. 2.2 Liter, 2WD . It is the base model so there are no features (power windows, power locks, etc). I have a reoccurring problem where the whole car will power down and I cannot go more than 10mph. There are 2 indicator lights that come on. I have to pull over to the side of the road, turn off the car for a minute, and then restart. I have taken it to the dealership twice already for the problem. First time they replaced the gas pedal assembly to replace the throttle position sensor. The second time they replaced the emission computer. It was only 48 hours between the first and second visit. Now it has happened again not even 2 weeks after the last visit. I am taking it to a dealership so I would expect they have access to the resources to figure this out. Has anyone had a similar problem that has not be solved by the solutions already mentioned? Thank you for your time.

Phil
    From what I've read, its one of 2 issues:

1 - There are 2 throttle position sensors on the throttle body under the hood, if they don't agree you'll get the issue you describe. I believe the fix is to replace the throttle body...

2 - I've also read that an issue like this can be caused by bad grounds under the hood. The problem was fixed by cleaning up the grounds...

Good Luck,
    John :shades:
    Thanks for the info John.

I took the car to Auto Zone. They will connect the car to the device that reads to troubleshooting codes for free. The dealer charges $80 just for that. The code my car has is P2138.

Definition: APP Sensor 1 and APP Sensor 2 signal voltage fault.
    Explanation: The ECM has detected the APP sensor signal 1 and 2 do not agree.
    Probable Causes: 1. Poor Electrical Connection.
    2. Failled APP sensor.

I am going to continue to investigate before taking it back to the dealer. I want to present a good case so that this issues is resolved once and for all.
  • deddlesdeddles Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2006 VUE -- really nice, automatic and loaded. We've owned saturns for years, so we love the product. We just have this one mysterious quirk with our car. We'll be driving down the freeway and the interior lights start blinking off and on and the door lock automatically start locking and unlocking. I KNOW ... spooky, huh? This goes on for a long period of time until finally the lights stay on. We stop the car, open and close all the doors -- this will stop the nightmare in most cases. But, some times the problem is persistent as heck. Yes, we've taken it to the dealer a few times and they've kept the VUE -- it won't happen when they have it. They think we're NUTS! Has anyone experienced this? Thank you for any feedback.
  • ttjacobsttjacobs Member Posts: 1
    I also have the VueBlues. I have been to the dealer 10-11 times for various problems (engine light/brake/awd lights etc) replaced 5 parts and now the air conditioner. First (while on vacation in hot flordia) they said it was out of freon now back home in MN they say nothing is wrong with it. It is a poor excuse for an air conditioner if that is the case. Saturn customer service is a joke and our dealer even more of a joke. We think we have a lemon too.....must be alot of them out there. Good Luck!
    So I just got my car back from the dealership on Saturday. Here is their comments on the issue:

"Tech found codes B0936, B2600, B2602, B2623, B2752, B3717, B3722, and U2105 in the computer. Tech found that the engine harness was rubbed and stretched in several places. The fuse block and the headlamp harness also had several scored spots on them. The tech replaced the Main Engine Harness, Head Lamp Harness, Main Fuse blcok and DRl resistor. "

Since is the not the first time I've taken it in for the problem, I will only be confident that the issue is taken care of if it does not resurface after a month of driving. If I have any issues, I will be sure to update this thread.

I am glad they were able to fix it because I do really love this car. I'm a tall guy and it is spacious enough for me. This is not the first Saturn I've owned either. I was happy with my last one too.
  • vuebluesvueblues Member Posts: 2
    This is Vue Blues; on the second "fix" my car's harness was completely replaced; they had the car about 1 1/2 weeks; picked up the car at 3:30; went home; went out at 5:30, at 6:15 the ac went out, the speedometer dropped to zero, a bunch of indicators went on, engine power decreased an incredible amount. Brought the car back, they had it two weeks, picked it up this past Saturday; they replaced one of the four computers, the ECM - engine control module; took it for a ride of about an hour yesterday and so far so good; this weekend will be the test, I have another long ride ahead of me and to be perfectly honest, I am apprehensive; hope this "fix" works; if not, I will invoke the lemon law because the car has been in three times for the same problem. Good luck with your fix.
    Don't bother calling a Priest, your Vue isn't possessed.... :)

And you're not going NUTS either...

It sounds like your body control module( BCM for short) is going on the fritz...

It controls everything that you described and lots of other stuff too..

Generally a dealer only repair, I think its about $ 600-700....if it only happens once in a while I guess you can live with it short term...I've heard that disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and reconnecting it can temporarily cure the problem but the only real fix is to replace the BCM...

Good Luck,
  • 1gettinginfo1gettinginfo Member Posts: 5
    I have an 04 Vue and what I was told was that the gas cylinder or something like that needed to be replaced and that it cost 600.00 to replace. Over time I learned that if I don't fill the tank past the first click, (you know how the pump does the clicking when you over fill the tank) the guage works fine and that has been at least year ago if not longer.
    Hello Everyone,

I am seeking your advice/information re: a 2004 Saturn Vue Redline edition that began showing the low battery icon after my 1 yr old turned on all of the lights interior/exterior while I was washing the car. I also had the radio on to entertain her. Needless to say I needed a jump to get home.

This was when the low battery light began popping on and off. If the car sat for a period of time it would come on and stay on about the first 5 min of my drive. Once I'd get to my destination if I began driving again 20-30 minutes later no light. So we purchased a new battery, which I thought would end the issue. Unfortunately right after the battery was changed and before we could leave the parking lot of the parts store the light came right back on. The guy said it might be a short or fuse related.

What information can you provide to us because the next step is the dealer, we are soon to go to Florida on vacation and we need this issue to be fixed.
    Thanks in advance for you support.
  • kisonkison Member Posts: 1
    I have been trying to help an elderly customer of mine with her nightmare 02 Vue. Headlight switch hot to the point of melting (saturn dealer says they have seen them catch on fire) wipers working intermittently during a severe monsoon storm, IP cluster lights intermittent, fuel gauge rapidly fluctuating, turn signals intermittent operation. Wow , ,,, Saturn Vue owners are really tough people, I would have given up a long time ago. Any help with a one time cure all would be nice. I have been a GM and Nissan Tech. for 22 years and I have walked this vehicle through independant circuit tests, everything is within specs. This customer loves the car and cannot afford another vehicle as she has recently lost her husband of 50+ years. I would appreciate any help I can get . Thanks and waiting, Ken
    Hello Ken,

I certainly don't have your qualifications as a mechanic but from what I've read, the symptoms you describe are indicative of a failing body control module (BCM) Apparently the earlier Vues are well known for this issue...

Good Luck,
    Update, after taking my car in for diagnostic, it turned out that I mistook the coolant icon for the battery icon. After adding antifreeze the car was fine. All of my prevoius vehicles were Pontiacs and I have never had a coolant issue until now since it was always taking care of with my oil changes. Just sharing information incase someone else makes the same mistake.
  • matrixgirl09matrixgirl09 Member Posts: 28
    Before i traded the vue in the battery was replaced. Then that coolant light came on as well. It did look like the battery light so you aren't the only one.
  • e4400e4400 Member Posts: 2
    I too have a "possessed" VUE. However, my problems occur when it's cold outside. Typically when it gets below freezing the car alarm will go off and then my doors will remain unlocked (this is typically at night). When I get in my car the next morning, the interior lights will not turn off and the doors will not lock, almost as if it's not recognizing that the doors are shut. As the car gets warmer, the lights flicker on and off as the doors lock and unlock. I too have taken my car into the dealership and they cannot recreate the problem. I am starting my fourth winter with this car and this problem and I am going to leave it at the dealership for a week because the problem is getting worse.
  • crazytastyredcrazytastyred Member Posts: 2
    Just to add my two cents on the issue, as I have just had my BCM replaced...
    ;)
    about two months prior to the final diagnosis and replacement, the dashboard lights started flashing at random. The problem went away after a day. Then in December 2008 they began flashing again, this time persisting every time I drove over 30 minutes. There was no rhyme or reason; they would flash while I was speeding down the highway or sitting still at a red light. Then all four of my gauges started to dip during the time the lights were flashing. I never lost power to the engine. I could accelerate while the gauges were zeroed out. I had Vera - I named my VUE. Don't make fun - in for testing and the techs couldn't find any codes from the computer, so they had me look for a pattern in the flashing and dipping.
    I had a six hour drive across New York the next day and still found no pattern. I bought a new battery after Advance Auto said I had a bad one, since I drive a five-year old vehicle and it seemed like it was probably time to replace it. This didn't fix the issue. Nothing seemed to cause the issue. I drove her until the flashing and dipping became more frequent, then I'd pull over for 20-30 minutes for a break.
    After the return trip six hours back home, I had stopped to get an unrelated part from a salvage yard and when I came back out, Vera wouldn't start. After holding my breath and finally getting her started again, I was able to wheel into the dealer - without an appointment, even - where they diagnosed again and hallelujah! found codes that indicated the BCM.
    So now I have a sparkly new battery and BCM and I've noticed that little things have changed. Where the running lamps used to only flash twice when I unlock the vehicle with the keyless remote, they now stay on. And when the doors are open and I hit the lock button on the inside of the door, she dings. I close the doors and they don't lock until a few seconds after. Before, they would lock automatically when I'd lock them with the interior door button. The headlights and interior lights seem brighter, too. I had to get new remotes because the old ones wouldn't work with the new BCM, so I'm attributing all these new things to that.
    What exactly is the BCM? I have recently seen half of my dash not lighting up, but about 10-15 minutes later it will be fully illuminated. So I'm not sure if blinking may be next. Just wanting to be fully educated.
  • crazytastyredcrazytastyred Member Posts: 2
    My understanding is there are a couple modules that control our VUEs. The body control module (BCM) is the brain that takes care of all things dealing with communication. This communication is both direct - to us, like the dashboard lights - and indirect - when we click the switch to turn on the wiper blades, the BCM takes that command and tells the wiper blades to work, so we're not actually turning on the blades. We tell the BCM to turn on the blades.
    There's also an engine control module, which I'm not educated on at all but I assume basically monitors the engine and all things related to the engine and the hamster that runs in the wheel to propel the engine. Hopefully I never have to find out more about that one and mine just keeps on running.
    The issues that I had leading up to the replacement of my BCM never included what you described, with only some of my dash lighting up.
    If I were you, I would continue to monitor your dashboard for patterns. Does it start out only half illuminated all the time? Does your speed or road condition have anything to do with it? Etc... If your engine doesn't lose power and your vehicle starts on the first try and otherwise operates just fine and you feel comfortable, maybe it's a loose wire behind your control panel. If you don't feel safe, the technicians can try to look for codes from your vehicle's computer. I think that diagnosis alone costs about $50.
  • laglenn98laglenn98 Member Posts: 5
    Just curious - did they figure out what your "cold" problem is? I have the EXACT same problem, and took it in several times to the dealer the first winter - they could not find the problem. I have lived with this for 4 winters now - would LOVE to know that the problem is.