Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Noises and Sounds

noisey4funnoisey4fun Member Posts: 2
I have a 91 toyota 4runner.when its cold durring the winter time i get a rubbing grinding noise from the front right. When i hit a small bump it comes when i hit another small bump or stop it goes away. somtimes will go weeks without doing it other times every day

Comments

• powslutpowslut Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same issue with my 95 4runner. any luck fixing it?
  • moto7moto7 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2006 Sport , and finally got to go on some serious 4wheel dr roads here in Colorado. Going down a steep incline in 4L L, when I engaged the Downhill assist it was effective, however there was a rubbing, grinding (mild) noise that made me a little nervous. Has anyone experienced this? It wasn't extreme, and may be normal, but it was a "noise" .
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    I just bought a new 2008 4Runner and spent a few hours reading through all of the owner's manuals and guides. Pretty sure I saw something that said there would be a little noise emanating from the DAC. Perhaps you can check your operating manual and see if you can find what I think I found.
  • ddg3ddg3 Member Posts: 1
    my toyota has 48K miles on it. about 6 months ago I noticed a slight muffled pinging in the engine-mostly when going slow or in city traffic--its grown into a large deep ping-sounds more like a hole in a muffler than an engine problem--but its coming from the engine. I just took it to the dealer--they called and said I put too much oil in it--that isnt so-I have it serviced religiously and just checked the oil 2 days ago--they went on to say it was going to cost 5K to fix-but didnt tell me what the problem is--except said there is too much oil in the crankshaft. Anyone ever heard of the noise I am having with the car??other than the noise it drives great and I love the car? Suggestions? advice?
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    Rather hard to diagnosis over the net but it from your description, it sounds like a bearing noise. Does it happen when accelerating, under load?
    Too much oil will cause "foaming" and if left that way for a period of time, it will cause bearing failure.
    Dealer didn't tell you what the problem is and said it's going to cost $5,000?
    STOP!
    Get a second opinion from another shop, preferably a local shop.
    Let us know.....
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Downhill assist uses the anti-lock brakes to control the speed. I suspect that is what you were hearing and feeling.
  • jherskovitzjherskovitz Member Posts: 1
    usually from a stopped position when i accelerate as imake a right turn , i hear a lound noise as if i am bottoming out?
  • namaymandapnamaymandap Member Posts: 1
    Almost a year now, I have been hearing this noise like water boiling in kettle and occasionally twig braking sounds coming from under the glove compartment. There were also water leaks on the passenger side mat on few occaions. I take my car services to Toyata and they claimed they checked and found no problems and for the water leaks they said they drained the AC water hose and should not recur. For the noises they said they have not heard any. I hear the noises when I start the car and for the first few minutes while driving but then it fades away. Please help why is this happening

Thank you
  • tcc3573tcc3573 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 toyota 4runner w/ 76K miles. No accidents or issues. The help I need is that:

I have a "clunking" metal noise that I can re-create occur when I make a hard turn to the left. My CV boots are intact. My steering is excellent at any speed.
    No vibrations in the steering wheel at any mileage.

Important note: this is the model year which there is a front left BALL JOINT issue from time of the manufacter. I am not sure if it was repaired.

Important note also: the noise does not seem to occur at temperatures below 35 degree's here in Colorado. ( i.e., expansion and contraction of metal parts)

I recently had my shocks and springs changed.

I do see worn bushings on the front control arm and stabilizer bars ! Coulod this be the problem? What is the best way to isolate the issue?

Tim
    Boulder,Colorado
  • csvellacsvella Member Posts: 1
    For the water boil/leak on passenger side-

Definitely a heater core leak. The engine coolant is routed through the radiator to cool it down. Someone figured out that if you routed it through a miniature radiator and blew air through that into the compartment, it would make a good heater while helping to cool the coolant down.

Now, the coolant system is under pressure. If a small leak occurs in the heater core (which happens from time to time as they are usually metal and will corrode) then the pressure/temperature combination will cause the coolant in there to boil, and it will leak out as steam which will condense and leak in the compartment. The AC has nothing to do with it.

If you are interested-
    With the hood up, you should see a big round cylinder at the passenger side of the firewall (that which separates the hood area from the interior.) This is the cover for the blower motor. The fan for the blower motor is accessible from then inside of the passenger compartment behind the glove box. That is the air side of this. The heater core is wedged up in there pretty close to it all. If you look again in the hood area to the blower motor housing, you will see two (approximately 5/8") rubber coolant hoses. Likely one is running to the radiator and the other into the engine block. They are big, rubber, spongy and flexible, unlike the AC lines which are ridgid and metal. What those two hoses are clamped to near the blower motor housing/firewall is the heater core that is leaking an needs to be replaced. I'd check those hoses where they connect to the core first, just in case that is the trouble.

The heater core is usually replaced by removing the glove-box, the blower fan, and a few screws, then disconnecting those hoses (while the engine is cool and has been off for a long while. It never hurts to have the negative battery terminal disconnected either.) Then it can be pulled out. Its about 6" x 8" x 1" or thereabouts. A refurbished unit should run about 100 dollars or less, and a decent mechanic should be able to knock the job out in an hour or so.

Hope that helps... Merry Christmas.
  • bc4x4runner1bc4x4runner1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey I had that problems before. Below freezing the front left would make noise, now my front right makes noise. Wheel speed related??

I greased up where my half shaft goes through the hub and problem solved. Now I have to do it on the other side. There is also a bearing replacesment from toyota for it if yours are no good, mine where still going strong at 300kms.

Front Hub Spindle bearing.
  • 02sportrunner02sportrunner Member Posts: 1
    ok i have this humming or grinding noise when ever the t4r is in motion. im pretty sure its the driveshaft. first of all i started to
    1.hear the noise
    2.whenever the truck is in motion ill let it coast and shut it off and noise would still be there. when in park i brought the rpm's up, there was no noise.
    so this eliminates the motor

3. i checked wheel bearings by jacking up my t4r and tried to move wheel to see if there was any freeplay or slop there was none.

4. i then greased the brake pads.

5. i then took it out for a test drive.
    6. still the same
    7. i greased the ujoints and took it for a drive. 8.still the same.
    9.then i greased the driveshaft its that slip yoke type and it got worse.
    so could this mean i got a bad driveshaft?

and i also added diff gear oil.

did anyone have the same problem?

thanks
  • 06tacoma0606tacoma06 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 06 Tacoma already has 92,000 miles on it and has the same problem i been told that the differential have to be replace it wore down. and if you ask at a dealer they will ask a lot for the part, better going to a 3rd party research the prices before you buy it get the one with the best deal on it.
  • nuggetsteve23nuggetsteve23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 4 runner with a front diff leak, I am wondering what could be the cause and the repair and where is a good place to take it ? I moved here from vegas so dont have a local auto guy,

Thanks
  • 1leadfoot1leadfoot Member Posts: 1
    i seem to have the same problem---did you ever find out the problem?
  • h2opolo2h2opolo2 Member Posts: 1
    I think I've got the same problem. Did you ever diagnose and fix this? I'd really like to hear about it.

Thanks.
  • angel41angel41 Member Posts: 1
    2002 4runner Sr5 makes rattling noise when standing still or backing up. In park there is no noise or when I am driving. Silent airplane noise when I am accelerating. One mechanic said torque on transmission. Another the exhaust system. Help.
  • littlenielsenlittlenielsen Member Posts: 1
    On my Toyota there is a clunking noise coming from the rear end on lateral movement. I am able to push the back end of the 4Runner with my hand and it just clunks. I think the clunk is coming from the passenger side maybe wheel bearing. Dose anyone one have any idea what the problem could be?
  • kiddogokiddogo Member Posts: 14
    Not a noise or sound, but my son recently bought an '06 4runner with an existing roof rack. Yesterday he notices that the "rubber molding" in the driver side channel was missing in between the perpendicularly place rails. The stripping is on the passenger side not the driver side.

It must have never been replace when the rack was installed but was wondering if some type of stock molding could work in its place?

Thanks in advance

PD
  • newdavidqnewdavidq Member Posts: 146
    Hi,
    I've got an 07 and while waxing it I noticed that the strip you are talking about was not perfectly flat in its groove. I was able to press it back into place. I'm guessing that it was disturbed by the carwash I had just gotten. My guess is that you will have to order it from Toyota in order to get a proper fit.
    Regards, DQ
  • cbyers1cbyers1 Member Posts: 1
    IF you still have a warranty on it, get it checked asap. I love my 04 4runner. Bought it brand new and have had every oil change and all maintenance work done at the dealership. Figured I'd have this vehicle 10-15 years. Well it started making a pinging noise on & off in the late fall. This happened when I first started it up in the morning, lasted about 15 -30 seconds and wouldn't happen the rest of the times I drove it thru out the day. It seemed to happen on colder mornings. Took it in for oil change at the dealership and asked them to check it. They couldn't get it to make the noise, they said. It progressively got worse and I took it in 2 weeks ago and this time they couldn't not hear it. They told me they needed to pull the engine to actually see what was going on. They told me that they would need to replace all the movable parts in the engine. For everything they did the cost was over $3000, but covered under my warranty. Got my car back yesterday and they told me it still makes a slight "knocking" noise. And they are right it does. Except now it does it all the time, just not as loud as before. I'll be calling warranty and the dealership tomorrow! You should call on yours too!!!
  • chloe99chloe99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a clunking noise coming from under the car. I checked and the spare tire was hanging loose. Tightened it. It came loose again. Removed spare tire. Still have the clunking noise. I don't see anything loose under the car. Bolt to hold spare tire shouldn't make such a loud clunking noise. Any ideas anyone? No loud noises from muffler. Don't suspect hanging tail pipe. Front plate seems secure. Sounds like the bottom is going to fall off the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • tommyj3tommyj3 Member Posts: 4
    When I start my 1998 4 cylinder 4 Runner the fan is turning fast and making a roaring sound, however, it doesn't stop making the noise as we travel down the road. Is this normal for the 4 cylinder or is my fan clutch going bad? My other autos sound off for a few minutes but quietens down after a minute or so. Thanks.
  • mse871859949mse871859949 Member Posts: 1
    i had an 84 fj60 that had the same problem. My fan clutch had siezed up. if your clutch is leaking oil then it's blown, or if your fan has free play when wiggled like the bolts are loose, it's also blown. your fan should spin freely with the engine off. simple fix. cost me 49 for the clutch.
  • micahemicahe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Toyota 4Runner with about 220000 miles on it. I love it. Recently though it's been making a weird noise whenever I hit the gas and it takes longer to accelerate. And when I take my foot off the gas the noise stops. I've been told so many different things on what it could be and I rather just go into a shop and tell them what I want fixed, instead of them charging me $100 to tell me what I need fixed and charge me again to fix it. Or if it's something I can do myself, I'm game. Any ideas?
  • bman01bman01 Member Posts: 2
    My 97 SR5 has 122,000k. No problems since buying back in 2006 with 80,000 until recently. About 6 months ago I started noticing that the car makes a loud clunking/ thud noise when I have the clutch in and I'm coming to a stop but not pressing the brakes to stop. I that it was the brakes sticking but not according to the mechanic I took it too. This problem does not occur all the time. Mainly when the car is still cold or not driven for more than a few minutes. So has anyone had this problem??? Is it the clutch, trans, rear bearings ??? Would really like some help or suggestions if anyone has experienced similar problems with a manual 3rd generation. Thanks!
  • muffalumpmuffalump Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure out what the noise was? I have a similar noise.