Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High Miles on a Toyota 4Runner

2»

Comments

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    First off, get over to the board at Marlin Crawler. They know far more about these old 1994 and earlier Toyotas than just about anyone else. I'd recommend it to most of you here with first, second, and third generation 4Runners.

That said, an old 3.0 with that many miles on it that's making serious noises is likely on its way our or will need a large amount of time and/or money to fix. Maybe it's just a cracked manifold or exhaust leak somewhere. Or maybe not - I'm really not that much of an expert on the 3.0 (hence the recommendation of the other site) since mine's the 4 cylinder model.

Oh - my 4Runner has almost 400K on it. I'd rate these old 4-cylinder Toyotas as reliable as any of the older Mercedes or Volvos. The new ones are pretty reliable as well, though far larger and heavier that they really need to be.
  • karinaskarinas Member Posts: 3
    I need a more reliable car or truck and my friend has a 2006 toyota 4runner 6 cyl..not sport or limited..it has 125,000 miles on it...new tires...one owner...she had a shop upholster it with nice leather seats....very clean and looks new...she said she had no problems with it.....she did regular oil changes...regular detailing.....she said that a dealer offered her $9,000 on a trade ....she was hoping to get about $14,000 (also, I am not sure how much my bank will finance) if she sold it to an individual...is this $14,000 a reasonable price for a 2006 basic 4runner? I was going to buy a new vehicle for security in not having any problems when taking long (2-3 day) trips as I am a single woman....but I have a farm and need something to drive around in the pasture in...so I want something more than a car......and to get something nice it will cost me twice the price of this vehicle...I saw that none of these sold on Ebay when I just looked at this model on the completed listings....but I thought that Toyota was a brand to trust for the long haul....any comments and advice from you guys would be beneficial.....or to put it this way...would you buy this for your daughter going off on her own and feel comfortable with it??? Thanks a bunch! ;) k from texas
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    If the vehicle was well maintained you should have no issues. As far as what the value is, try KBB.com. Just put in the needed information.

Please keep in the mind the vast majority of vehicles never sell on ebay. Ebay IS NOT a great place to buy/sell cars. You can look at the "SOLD STATISTICS" for just about any make/model and see the same thing.

Yes,I would buy it for my daughter going back and forth to school.
    My 4Runner has almost 400,000 miles on it and it's my daily driver. I figure it costs me about $1000-1500 a year in upkeep, but that's far cheaper than car payments. And it's got 4x4 and scares little Prius drivers, which is a plus :) Oh, and I can tow and haul stuff.

In fact, I'd not consider any of the older Toyota SUVs and trucks to be "high mileage" until they hit at least 200-300K.
    Thank you very much for your message! I feel more confident in purchasing it now!
    Karen
    ;)
    Thanks! I feel more confident about purchasing it now!!!
    karen
    ;)
  • jarrod1994jarrod1994 Member Posts: 1
    A good family friend wants to sell me his 1999 4runner for only 4500 with 165,000 miles. Im only 16 so my mother unfortunatly is all im my buisness and says it is to many miles. I need the car to last me at least 4 years and I only drive around town and dont do any crazy things. I didnt know if i should jumb on this deal or try to find another car
    let me know
    -Jarrod
    If it's the 4 cylinder, it's nearly bulletproof. Mine lasted about 390K before I sold it - and it still is running somewhere in Northern California as I type this.

That said, your best bet for an around-town vehicle is a ~2000-2003 GM or Ford sedan. A Buick Lesabre or a Crown Vic come to mind. Just be 1000% sure it never saw rental or taxi use.

Something that is reliable, yet depreciates like a rock. I loved my 4Runner, but as a daily driver, it was constantly needing fixing and tweaking every couple of months. It wasn't much, but we're talking about $100-$200 in upkeep every month or two. About half the the cost of a new car lease for the most budget car on the market. Not bad, but not great either. Also, it got 18mpg. City. Highway. Uphill, downhill. Probably off a cliff, even ;) 18mpg and no better.

I finally had to get rid of it as the electrical systems were corroding and falling apart. (it only was built to last 15 years, max, and 20+ is about where switches and electrical components start to fail due to age.

It's *awesome* for a DIYer and incredible off-road, but not a good daily driver if it's more than about 15 years old.
  • tristan_leggtristan_legg Member Posts: 1

Looking at a 2002 toyota 4runner with 240.000 miles on it how long would you think it would last.

• fields97fields97 Member Posts: 2
    I'm original owner of my '97 4Runner SR5 with V6/ 4wheel drive. As of Aug. 2015 it's got 328,000 miles on original engine. I've been careful to get all recommended routine services done on time, incl. minor service (oil change etc.) every 5,000 miles. But we haven't baby'ed it; my husband routinely takes it on wilderness trips. Zero need for any significant repairs so far.
      My hero is a local guy with an '87 in perfect condition. Last time I saw him several years ago, he had over half a million miles on the original engine. I was just at the dealership where we both get service & they confirmed he's still going strong. So maybe 600k+ miles? I look at "next car" ideas sometimes, but what I really want doesn't exist: a new 4Runner just like my '97. (The 2015 with same name is much bigger with worse mileage than mine. Highlanders are about same size, but on car frame, so less sturdy, less clearance, etc.) So I'll keep driving mine until engine gives out. Then turn it into a shrine in the back yard. 
      I would love to know what the highest mileage record is for a 4Runner; anyone know?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    fields97 said:

I'm original owner of my '97 4Runner SR5 with V6/ 4wheel drive. As of Aug. 2015 it's got 328,000 miles on original engine. I've been careful to get all recommended routine services done on time, incl. minor service (oil change etc.) every 5,000 miles. But we haven't baby'ed it; my husband routinely takes it on wilderness trips. Zero need for any significant repairs so far.
      My hero is a local guy with an '87 in perfect condition. Last time I saw him several years ago, he had over half a million miles on the original engine. I was just at the dealership where we both get service & they confirmed he's still going strong. So maybe 600k+ miles? I look at "next car" ideas sometimes, but what I really want doesn't exist: a new 4Runner just like my '97. (The 2015 with same name is much bigger with worse mileage than mine. Highlanders are about same size, but on car frame, so less sturdy, less clearance, etc.) So I'll keep driving mine until engine gives out. Then turn it into a shrine in the back yard. 
      I would love to know what the highest mileage record is for a 4Runner; anyone know?

That's awesome about your car.. your model 4Runner is my favorite.

I'm really surprised that the '87 hasn't rusted away... those were famous for disintegrating, over time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fields97fields97 Member Posts: 2
    From the look of it, I'd say he's at least had it painted. Plus we live in very dry central valley of California, so rust... not so much. Sounds like you know your 4Runners. I just logged on here while trying to find what the highest known mileage is for a 4Runner. Any idea?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    fields97 said:

From the look of it, I'd say he's at least had it painted. Plus we live in very dry central valley of California, so rust... not so much. Sounds like you know your 4Runners. I just logged on here while trying to find what the highest known mileage is for a 4Runner. Any idea?

Sorry, no idea.

I had a co-worker from 86-96 that had three or four 4Runners, plus a few 4WD pickups.. All of the body parts from the front door back would just disappear over time... But, they never quit running. Of course, we salt the roads, here.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• PsBoss725PsBoss725 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 4-Runner with over 310,000 miles and still running strong. Use Wal-mart oil (20-w50 in summer and 10-w40 in winter) change every 3000 to 4000 miles and regular routine maintenance. Just got an oil sample back from Black Stone Labs after a 4700 mile oil change and they said run it for about 7000 miles and send another sample in to get it analyzed. I also have a 94 Toyota Pick-up with 265,000 miles, and just bought a used 2014 Corolla for the wife. If you take care of these Toyotas, they will last forever. I plan on at least getting 400,000 miles out of my 4-Runner.