Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo Engine Swaps

jtdesignsjtdesigns Member Posts: 5
Ive came to the conclusion that I'm going to just swap my presant engine and tranny. I've searched around and need some tech info. Does nebody know the type of tranny in a 2wd/auto V6 rodeo? Thanks in advance,,,,jt

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While you're waiting for a reply here you may want to take a look at Engine Swaps (Performance Swaps).

tidester, host
  • jtdesignsjtdesigns Member Posts: 5
    i didnt find anything about chevy v8 swaps in that. thanks but the info im most needing is what kind of tranny do i have. i think its a 4l60e but not 100% i can pretty much weld the 350 combo right in and get the drive shaft how ever long. no big big deal, i couldnt find anything on the overall strenth of the rearend he!! i cant find a whole alot of anything on a rodeo to be honest. i have plenty of room for the v8 and room for the tranny. rad is big enuff to cool everything, ecu not needed, exhaust any shop can do. i know the chevy 90* along with some caddy engines will fit upto the tranny in it, but i dont like this tranny at all! i love the look of the rodeo and the 3.2 is pretty darn strong but i honestly feel i can get better mileage from a f/i v8 and pass emissions. shift linkage shouldnt be to big a problem, could as last resort, just bolt a b'n'm in there. ive done a v8 swap before to a s10 only problem was cooling and room from firewall , + the headers were a PAIN but this swap looks alot easier because less the 4wd i had to work around. this rodeo is 2wd and will be lowered about 2 or 3 " just to get better handling, easy with turning the torsion bars and rear blocks. its just the issue of tranny i have now and if im going to have to get a rearend built. im not going insane with hp either most 300 thats at MOST i will put in it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I found this which may be helpful. If you figure it out be sure to let us know and keep us posted on your progress.

In the meantime, if anyone else has information please feel to jump right in here! :)

tidester, host
  • jtdesignsjtdesigns Member Posts: 5
    ok yes 4L30E this is a pretty tuff tranny isnt it. does anybody know what other GM/chevy has this tranny?
    did some more research found out the rearend is a dana 44 i know this is a strong enuff rearend and easy to regear if needed!! i think this swap is going to be a great improvment over stock. power,emissions,better fuel economy. needs to warm up to so i can do it. i need everything drawn out before i start something this involved.
  • suchevsuchev Member Posts: 2
    This project sounds interesting. I hope you post pics as you proceed thorough the rebuild/upgrade process.
  • nogorodeonogorodeo Member Posts: 3
    I have to replace the engine in my 2001 Rodeo. Does anyone know what other types of vehicles have this same engine? I have the 3.2L V6.
  • outolukoutoluk Member Posts: 1
    is it possible to put a 4 cyl 95 engine that was connected to a standard tran. in a 96 body that had a v-6 connected to an auto tran. and if so what would it take to do so?
  • cliff85jcliff85j Member Posts: 7
    I know the honda passports use the same 3.2L V6 engine. Isuzu built the passport for honda.
  • breuklanderbreuklander Member Posts: 1
    i recently bought a 95 rodeo, the motor is locked up. It currently has the 3.2 with the coil pack. My friend has a 3.2 out of another rodeo but it has the distributor. So my question is can i use the 3.2 with the distributor and just do away with the coil pack? Any tips or suggestions you can give me will be appreciated. thank you for your help.
  • insanemodsinsanemods Member Posts: 3
    To All,

I am currently performing this conversion on my Honda Passport. This vehicle is 4 wheel drive, and I am swapping in a chevy sb mated to a 700R4 trans while maintaning the original tranfer case. The original engine had a spun bearing and was too costly to rebuild. This is why I choose to swap in a V8. One thing I wanted to aviod was drive line Mods. The Isuzu transfer case spline will accept a 700R4 trans. I made a two piece adapter to make this happen. However, there is interfirence problems with the front drive shaft. I had to modify the trans oil pan a bit and move the center line of the power train 1/2 " to the drivers side to make clearance. A lift kit would make this swap much easier.( If interested I will manufacter this adapter for around $500.00) The Engine oil pan fit with no problems there is about 3/4" clearance around the IFS. Distributor is no problem either. Although, I wanted to aviod the drive line mods, I will have to shorten the rear drive shaft. The engine mounting is simple I extended the original engine perches out about 6' via 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 square tubing and modified the Isuzu mounts to work with the V8. I haven't tried to fit a starter in yet and I think I may have a problem there. If so, a gear reduction starter will fit with no problem. I plan on using shorty headers for an S10 V8 conversion.

Well this is where I'm at on this swap, I am now working on cleaning, painting and resealing every hting before I reinstall every thing for good. I will post pictures as soon as posible
  • cdolcecdolce Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Isuzu Rodeo- 3.2L/4L30E. When my 3.2 dies, I would like to swap
    this motor out with a chevy/gmc 4.3. is this possible, or should I just trade it in
    for a Blazer? Thanks!
    cdolce
    The GM 4.3 is just a 350 small block with 2 cylinders chopped off. I have fitted an SB 350 in my 99 passport with lots of room to spare. My best guess is the 4.3 should fit with no problem. However, swapping a V8 or V6 into the rodeo is not easily done. Depending on how you want to go about it. You will need to make many mods, to make this work. I could not find any adapters or engine mounts for this conversion. I don't believe you can maintaine the 4L30E for this swap. The 4L30E does have the GM 60* bolt pattern and there are adapter plates available, but I don't know how you would get the starter to bolt up with this set up. If you would like to maintaine the original T-case and go to a 700R4 trans as I did. You will either need to build your own adaptor or I can build one for you. (Inquire at mryder02@hotmail.com) I recommend a lift kit to make this swap easier. Another option is to swap out the T-Case to GM. You will need to have your drive lines modified and figure out the shift linkage. Also if your existing speedometer isn't cable run. you will need a transfer case with a speed sensor and it may need to be calibrated if it works at all.
  • brandon442brandon442 Member Posts: 1
    the engine in my 2000 Honda passport is shot, and I'm ready to swap it out with another good running motor.

i was looking around on craigslist and found a rebuilt motor in great shape form a 1998 Isuzu rodeo, their the same type motor, i just don't know if the to years are compatible.

does anyone know if the 1998 will fit into the 2000 without any major changes being made? :confuse:
  • butterflyladybutterflylady Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Isuzu Rodeo that i have someone that is interested in buying. He has a 95 engine he wants to put into it. i was wondering if the 95 engine would fit in the 98 body. if anyone can help me out wit this that would be very appreciated. thanks. :sick:
  • tonymontanajrtonymontanajr Member Posts: 1
    I want to put another engine on my 94 Rodeo. I would like to keep it JDM. Would appreciate if someone knows what engine can i put, My rodeo is a 2wd V6 I think is a 2 wheel drive since i dont have the 4 wheel drive button inside. Also if you know where i can get that engine you would recommend THANK YOU,, for your time
  • mrglimmmrglimm Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Rodeo 2WD with a great running 3.2 v6 DOHC, but was hit last winter on the passenger doors. (Bent the bottom frame body)
    I would love to know if I can (nearly) painlessly put this motor into a 4WD version... and what changes I may be expecting i.e. bellhousing, mounts etc.

Also important, is what years of Rodeo's can I accomplish this with?
    (Is it really true I can't put this in a newer vehicle anywhere in the US?)

Thanks in advance!
  • 1jcoop1jcoop Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo. The engine is shot and I am wanting to swap it for a Chevy v8. Does anyone have any helpful knowledge? are there Adapter kits, or should I swap the tranny and transfer case also? Any advice is appreciated!
  • shortloggershortlogger Member Posts: 1
    hi i have 95 rodeo that my girl friend blew up i swap out that engine w one out of a 96 rodeo mine had coil paks the 96 didnt it had coils at each cylinder plus the engine harness would not plug in to my rodeo so i switched everything from my engine to the 96 engine installed and cant get any spark tryed everything i can think of any ideas please thanks plus i got a lot of rodeo parts ill let go
  • rodeomaynrodeomayn Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1994 isuzu rodeo with a 3.2 v6 and it's 4wd. the motors still strong and there's no problem with the tranny, i'm pretty sure i can get the same, if not better fuel economy with a fuel injected v8, plus i'd get the added power, i'm just not sure whats going to be involved in the process of the swap. if anyone can give me an idea that would be great.
    Actually the 3.2 has as much or more power than any stock 350. The only reason I choose to do this swap was because the engine was toast and dropping in the 350 was a cheaper alternative. However, if I were to do it again I get the whole drive train and adapt the drive shafts. My fuel mileage dropped from 19 mpg to 13 mpg. The engine was carbed. A fuel injected motor may yield better mileage though. My Toyota swap I did I gained 6 mpgs but the Issuzy went the other way :)
  • gross77gross77 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Isuzu Rodeo 2.6L 5 speed 2wd. I really want to swap the motor with a Honda F20C out of an s2k with the 6 speed tranny. Any one know how difficult that might be to do? Because I would really like to do this to my Rodeo. 
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    My two cents is that motor would be a poor choice for an SUV. Do you really want an engine with very little low end torque and an 8900 rpm redline in this vehicle?
  • viequesislandviequesisland Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2002 Isuzu Rodeo with a V4 2.2L engine. It had a few oil leaks and overheated while someone was borrowing it and seems to have fried the aluminum. I am pricing out buying a new car verses replacing the engine, but I live on a small remote island. There are a lot of people here with cars that they are parting out, some of them even isuzu rodeos, but I am mostly seeing V6 engines. Will a V6 engine from another newer Isuzu fit in my car? What do I need to know in order to shop around for something that will work?
  • trooper85trooper85 Member Posts: 1
    I got a 1998 Manual 3.2 Trooper. the RPM keeps drooping to below 150 and back to 800-1000. Happens while I'm driving too and I'm getting black smoke from the exhaust, not too thick though, but enough to worry about. I had the MAP, MAF and oxygen sensors changed. Still having the same problem. My Mech. said that he would clean the throttle body cause he thinks that might be it.

Has any one else had this problem and have a solution???
  • kschullkschull Member Posts: 1
    Need to know which Isuzu engines are interchangeable with a '97 Rodeo 3.2L V6 w/ 5 speed manual trans. Please help asap. - Thanks
  • codie98codie98 Member Posts: 1
    Is their anyone out their putting a Honda motor of anykind in one of these rodeos 
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Poking around online I see a lot of people asking this question but very few answers. Since the Honda Passport was a "badge engineered" version of the Rodeo, you would think that you could swap a Passport engine in. As far as any kind of Honda engine, you might run into needing to modifying motor mounts, etc.

Saw one guy who had swapped to a diesel engine, but he also swapped out transmission and driveline and in general sounded like an expert with access to an automotive shop.
  • Jessicaann1014Jessicaann1014 Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible to put an izuzu nrr engine (98) in a 2007 mpr body?