Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Outback/Legacy Starting Issues

124»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Ah, okay, you added some important information there, so with this new data (not starting after dying at idle even with a push), replacing the CKP makes more sense.
  • scottishfiddlescottishfiddle Member Posts: 1
    Here's a difficult-start issue I haven't seen mentioned, and it's one the Subaru dealer couldn't find, but our local mechanic recently ferreted it out. If he hadn't, I would have posed the problem here in an effort to try to find a solution, so now I'm offering this as more informational, and would certainly be interested in others' thoughts or experiences with something like this.
    We have a '95 Subaru Legacy with about 58k miles on it. About a year and a half or so ago, on occasion, when turning the key the engine would turn over fine, but it wouldn't start. We discovered that by pushing the gas pedal to floor while turning the key, and holding it to the floor, the engine would catch, though it would run a bit rough at first, and a cloud of smoke would come out the exhaust, and there was a smell of gas. It seemed more apt to do it after being driven for at least 15 minutes, and then sitting for a while (an hour or more). We took it to the dealer, and they said it was most likely the cam/crank sensor, but that it might also be more than that. So, we had that replaced, to the tune of $248. The problem seemed to go away for a little while, but then came back. We lived with it for a while, then tried them again, but nothing came up on the computer, and besides, it never did its trick while there (of course). Anything they did do would just be a guess. So, we lived with it some more, but over time it kept occurring at a greater frequency. I should stress here that at no time did the car not start at all. We could always get it to start by pushing the gas peddle to the floor. The solution? It was the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. We are keeping our fingers crossed that it is indeed fixed. It sure seems so anyway.
  • yelowfairy93yelowfairy93 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my 95 we have replaced the battery and fuel pump with new ones and it started when we put them in but about an hour later it wouldn't start again someone please help me I don't have enough money to buy every part that could be the issue
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    you don't have to buy every part. You just need to diagnose what the problem is and buy that part. I know, harder than it sounds.

When you have the no start situation, you could squirt some starting fluid into the air filter to see if the engine then starts. If it does, then you have a fuel delivery or fuel pressure problem. If it won't start even with starting fluid, then you have to test for spark with an inexpensive spark tester.

If no spark is the issue then you need to scan the car for codes, which may give you a hint as to what's up here.