Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car Electrical Problems

12346»

Comments

• brenda01brenda01 Member Posts: 3
    My car wouldn't start a few days ago. 2000 LTC. Looked under the hood and saw lots of corrosion on the positive battery post. Changed both terminals the next day and now the car starts fine, however a new problem has arisen. When I open my car door-My hazard lights begin to flash. While I'm driving the hazard lights flash for about 2 beats, cut off, then start again for another 2 beats. Also a red light is illuminated and flashing on my dash. Right behind the turn signal, to the right of the lights dim switch. It illuminates for 5 beats, pauses, then another 5 beats. Does this when the car is parked, does this when I'm driving. It wont stop flashing.

Ive disconnected and reconnected the terminals. Ive held the terminals together for 5mins. I turned the car into the on position and let it sit for 10mins. I started the car and let it idle for 10mins. These were all suggestions I found as a way of resetting the cars computer. I was told this was the reason the lights were turning on and off. None of these things worked...Any suggestion? Answers. I'll try anything at this point.Thank You.
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    Your turn signal unit is going bad. When this happens, the turn signal unit starts the inside indicators to blink intermitently. It takes about about 15 minutes to replace it. If you are handy with a screw driver, you can make the change out.
    Turn Signal Unit? Thats causing this? Seems so random, but Im going to have to take your word for it since no one will reply to me on the many sites of asked about this problem. Thank You NWRAA. I looked at it today and it seems like its something I could replace myself. I guess I'll try to find one at the junkyard. Hopefully this works. Its annoying driving with my hazards going on and off.
  • bartbarterbartbarter Member Posts: 39
  • jackson419jackson419 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same similar problem if not the same exact problem, I have put a new batterie as well as alternator in my TC. Now it won't turn over, no dash indicators. Just a click from the hood fuse box area....what should be the solution?
  • jimbrockjimbrock Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 Town Car has a problem. The driver's side seat heat doesn't work. The doorside switch indicates that it is turned on, but no heat. Neither high nor low setting. Any ideas?
    Could be the heating pad. They go south. The connector sometimes melts too. All you can do is follow the circuit with a test light. I can't remember if they have a relay or not.
  • cruzitocruzito Member Posts: 1
    the car just probably needs a tun up
  • bpiroskabpiroska Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Lincoln Town car that starts but does not idle. This usually happens when it is warm or hot outside. I can travel for an hour, make a stop and turn off the engine. Ten minutes or more later I go to start my car. It starts but it won't idle. It cuts out and shows a picture of my battery and just quits. After about an hour (time to have tow truck show up) it will start and run like a top. It might run like a top for several months then it quits.

Last year I had a crankshaft sensor replaced but evidently that wasn't the problem. Alternator also checked. Any help would be appreciated.
    edited June 2013
    Perhaps the IAC (idle air control) valve? Common problem, but I don't know if it's ever intermittent.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00187.html

Your car doesn't have any wires but I believe the unit is in the same place.

Couple of bolts, clean with carb cleaner or wd 40 or replace with Motorcraft unit.

Hope that's it, good luck.
    Suggest that you clean the mass air flow sensor. Be careful while cleaning it. A squirt of electrical parts cleaner is usually enough to clean the little wires in the unit.
  • butterfrymanbutterfryman Member Posts: 2
    All lights work.....all fuses are fine. When I try to use the turn signal it doesn't flash. My mechanic says the LCM needs to be replaced...$750 at dealer...or junkyard then extra to have it re-programmed.

Is there anything simpler and cheaper to try first? My dash lights have been flashing on/off for a few years now also.....so if the LCM is indeed bad and more problems will soon happen...maybe I should replace the LCM anyway?

Also...is there anyway to determine if a used LCM is compatible or working....BEFORE I install it and pay the additional re-programming fee?

THANKS!
  • butterfrymanbutterfryman Member Posts: 2
    found a used LCM....$200 later all is good......so far
  • javpjavp Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday i was changing a fuse on my 01 TC, everything was fine until a few minutes later, all my interior lights started going on and off and now i am unable to turn the car on, and all of the dashboard switches went crazy, (odometer, gas reading, temp) I can hear a noise coming from one of the relay fuses, may that be the problem??
  • w9r1w9r1 Member Posts: 15
    Usually stuff like that in my experience has been the result of a bad battery OR a bad battery connection. Carefully check and clean the battery cable connections if they're corroded.

Good luck...Ed
  • jimbrockjimbrock Member Posts: 2
    Where can I get a replacement for the driver's side door pull with fake wood decorative backup. My fake wood is all scratched up from my fingernails, and the leather-coated pull is wearing thin. 2003 Town Car.
    You may be able to find a good one in an auto salvage yard. Also one may be listed on E-Bay.
  • tnrednecktnredneck Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 Town Car Signature Series and the low beam headlights stopped working. I have high beams that work and parking lights but no low beam. What could cause this?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    When you have less than 50,000 on the odometer, the factory warranty should be excersized.
  • tnrednecktnredneck Member Posts: 2
    That is out as an option. currently have 80K+
  • dc4bamadc4bama Member Posts: 4

I have a 2001 Town Car and my speedometer stopped working. Tachometer not working either. Anyone know how to remove and replace speedometer cluster.... Any help would be appreciated....

• tinman67tinman67 Member Posts: 2

I recently bought a 2006 Town Car Signature that drives like a dream. The problem is, I think maybe the driver's door module is bad. When I first got the car, the courtesy lights would come on, but only when the driver's door was open. If you opened any of the other 3, they would not come on. Now whenever I start the car, it tells me the door is ajar. I can slam the door a few times and get it to clear, but the door locks don't work anymore. It doesn't matter if you use the remote or push the button on the door. The button on the door that releases the trunk doesn't work anymore, either. I've checked the fuses that run the module and they are fine. The door module is about all I have left to blame it on. Anybody else with the same issues?

• tinman67tinman67 Member Posts: 2

Nevermind, I solved it. I took the door panel off of the driver's side and one of the plugs going to the door module wasn't plugged in all the way. Everything works great now. :-)

• klehockyklehocky Member Posts: 5
    I just traded in my 2004 Town car due to a myriad of electrical problems. The strangest was that sometimes after putting the key in the ignition the drivers seat would move all the back and fully recline.
  • handyman18handyman18 Member Posts: 3
    euphonium said:
    The moon roof motor uses a lot of electrical energy. Before R&R the motor, suggest you clean the battery terminals and connecting cables, charge up the battery, run the engine a little faster than idle speed and then try the moon roof motor. (How old is the battery?) FYI, the other high electric user is the rear window defroster, the one with the horizontal lines in it.

• jayrichjayrich Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2018
    I have 2004 Lincoln Town Car ultimate. I have the issue with dome light coming on door ajar light dinging locks engaging and disengaging while I'm driving. Sometimes when I try to use the remote entry the locks will not go up and down but I can hear them cycling. The horn  goes off and the lights flash when the car is in park. Sometimes it just keeps going off until the battery dies. I have read on here that some suggest it may be the LCM or the EGM. Before all this started happening I had to repair my driver side door's interior latch which had become stuck and so I removed the door panel and repaired the latch. I also replaced the master switch that controls the windows. The interior door latch on the passenger side rear is stuck. I have sprayed the door latches with PB Blaster. Had the actuator disconnected on on rear passenger door. Driver side seat also has problems. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Living on disability so funds are limited.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Gee it sure sounds like the car thinks your door is open. I"m not sure where the door switch is on your car (possibly in the latch, as it is on many cars), but if these problems started when you repaired the door latch, then it seems more than a coincidence. This switch might be grounding out when it shouldn't be.

Chasing electrical ghosts is pretty difficult, and requires a wiring diagram, testing equipment and a lot of patience. There's no quick answer here, sorry to say.
  • abester361abester361 Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 TC tends to run the battery down while parked but not always. New battery, New alternator, new cooling fan and controller. Sometimes can sit for days without a problem. Suspect it may be a delay timer or anti-theft system as it will sometimes lock the doors all by itself with keyfob in my pocket while I walk away from car.
  • chipmdchipmd Member Posts: 2
    89 town car been sitting 2 years, ran when parked. new parts- battery, fuel pump and filter, spark plugs. car is now getting fuel up to the rail (not sure on the psi) engine has spark at plugs and 12v at the injector plug in. no start. any ideas?