Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Wind noise for Outlander 2007

disappointed12disappointed12 Member Posts: 15
edited September 2014 in Mitsubishi
This is for tracking and discussing solutions to the excessive wind noise for Outlanders. If you are facing similar issues with your Outlanders, please post it here and also any resolutions you received, if any.

My XLS Outlander has excesssive wind noise, especially from the driver side. It's prominent around the windshield pillar (driver side), and the edge where the roof and the driver door meets (well, and the B-pillar). It is more evident (and irritating) during cross-winds.

If there is an easy solution, let's help MITSU save an otherwise good product.

Comments

• lpandcaptjimlpandcaptjim Member Posts: 10
    Well, it's not my imagination! This wind noise is irritating, for certain. When I reported it to the dealer (after owning the car for only a day or two), one salesman in the showroom actually told me to "turn up the volume" on the sound system" so I wouldn't hear the wind noise! Not helpful at all. The sales manager offered to install (at his cost) wind deflectors over all the windows, because it sometimes sounds like a slightly open window. This hasn't really helped. Also, they tightened up the driver's side door about 1/2". Again, no real solution there.
    I love the car otherwise, but I, too, am disappointed with the noise level from wind. Do you suppose those oversized side mirrors contribute to the problem?
    I'm very interested in posts on this subject.
  • xcellxcell Member Posts: 14
    I had my wind noise around both passenger and drivers side mirrors fixed or at least reduced. I took this dealer memo with me and show the service dept.

GROUP 42A Body
    Wind Noise From Outside Mirrors - 2007
    Outlander. A wind noise (a light buzz) may
    originate from the outside mirror area of the
    2007 Outlander when driving between 30-40
    mph. The noise may be more apparent in a
    cross wind. To repair this condition, remove
    the plastic cover under the mirror pivot point.
    Apply adhesive backed foam or felt to the two
    tabs, wrapping the foam/ felt around each tab,
    then reinstall the cover. Verify the repair.

Hope this will help you.
  • slaigoslaigo Member Posts: 18
    Hi,

I am not bothered by wind noise, I accept this as natural, what bothers me is the noise from passing cars, engine noise of adjacent cars at a stop. Maybe, I have sensitive ears, but my other cars which are sedans do not have this problem.

I have noticed that the mountings for the roof rack have gaps, not sure how good the insulation at these locations. I also mentioned before that the seal on the channel where the rack rails run are not sealed. When I depressed the seals, a hollow channel is revealed. Also not sure if this seal should be tight.

I will try to conduct an experiment this weekend, I will try to cover the gaps with some kind of insulation and see the effect of an outside noisy radio next to my window.

Will post results.
    I'm looking forward to the results of your experiment; anything that can relieve some noise will be appreciated!
    As I said, I really love the car otherwise.
  • mucoolmucool Member Posts: 24
    I took my Outlander to the dealership today to get the front-end-knock issue (see my post under the front end knock discussion) and the wind noise issue. I could not reproduce the wind noise issue, as there was no cross wind at all today :mad: . The service manager told me to come back anytime when the wind noise could be demo'd, as they were not able to characterize it today. He said, he didn't feel that the mirrors on my SUV needed the fix... I don't agree. Looking at some other posts though, I am not sure how much noise reduction the fix has to offer. They still have my case # on file, so am just gonna wait for a windy day (the dealership is nearby). The folks there also mentioned that they have one outlander without the roof racks, which seems to have relatively lesser "turbulence" noise.
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    Looking at some other posts though, I am not sure how much noise reduction the fix has to offer

Oh yes it did "cure" all the rattling sound I hear from the right side mirror. It worked 100% for me. I am glad this was just an extra sealing to do the job and not something permanent I have to live with.

Some described an audible wind noise, which I don't have. In fact I do hear some wind noise (after closely listening) in the cabin, but not loud enough for me to complain about. Tire noise is much better compared to my GF's 03 CR-V, so no complains about that either.
  • disappointed12disappointed12 Member Posts: 15
    Oh yes it did "cure" all the rattling sound I hear from the right side mirror.

I think most of us who are complaining about wind noise is not complaining abaut the "rattle", well, atleast not me. I don't have much of a rattling sound around the mirror.

I experience more wind noise only when it is windy/ when there is a cross-wind / or while driving against the wind. It's prominent from the roof-top, wind-shield and top of the door. I live in North and it is cold and sometimes windy out here. I don't know whether it is true for folks in warmer places.

I am thinking of doing some experiments before taking again to the dealer, like putting some foam tapes where there is a hollow tube seal below the rails, maybe on the top of the door and windshield too...

I will update you all with the results.
  • spaceman210spaceman210 Member Posts: 50
    Someone should try a sunroof wind deflector to see if it helps.
    I think most of us who are complaining about wind noise is not complaining abaut the "rattle", well, atleast not me. I don't have much of a rattling sound around the mirror.

My post was actually a reply to this earlier post by mucool:

The service manager told me to come back anytime when the wind noise could be demo'd, as they were not able to characterize it today. He said, he didn't feel that the mirrors on my SUV needed the fix... I don't agree. Looking at some other posts though, I am not sure how much noise reduction the fix has to offer.
    Just to let you know this is not a cold weather wind noise problem. We live in Florida and took our first long highway trip today. It wasn't a windy day, and the wind noise inside the cabin was LOUD at highway speeds. :(
    It wasn't a windy day, and the wind noise inside the cabin was LOUD at highway speeds.

Can we say it's louder compared to make X model X? It's always nice to have a comparison. Because in my Outlander, my closest/best comparison so far is an 03 CR-V, and road/wind noise is louder in the CR-V. I wish I could own a vehicle, especially an SUV, without wind/road noise. I always thought you will have wind/road noise with any vehicle.

Interstate roads are very notorious too in creating loud road noise, especially the ones we have here in IN/IL border area. I wouldn't say they badly maintained because they're in fact being repaired section by section as of now, but I wouldn't call it bump/crack free either. And with speed limits above 50mph on these cracked roads, it's easy to see where the noise can come from.
  • metuchenscalemetuchenscale Member Posts: 11
    'Group 42A"' to my dealer hard copy got my wind noise fixed. It is mostly heard on windy days. If you fold the mirror in, the noise goes away. It has gone away.
  • bearishly4ubearishly4u Member Posts: 38
    Interesting...I guess I could almost see the shape of the mirrors being less aerodynamic than some. Comparing my Outlander ES to my 06 Element EXP, I'd have to say the wind noise was much worse with the Element.
  • jod3jod3 Member Posts: 18
    I had this problem as well and found it quite annoying. After taking the car back a second time they seemed to have solved the problem. There is a service bulliten out now as to how this problem should be fixed. It worked for me at least. If you have the problem tell the dealer to contact the company as they do have a fix it seems from my experience. Good luck.
    Glad to hear you had good results; how exactly did they fix it? What did the service bulletin say?
    Thanks for your input!
    :)
  • abackaback Member Posts: 1
    any updates regarding the fix for wind noise? Is there anyone who is still having the wind noise problem?
  • growwisegrowwise Member Posts: 296
    Yes me. I still have it and am lazy to take it to dealer. I havent had time to do it either. I hope they are aware of it and wont deny such a problem exists. Otherwise I will be :mad:
  • dodo2dodo2 Member Posts: 496
    At least you know how to fix it yourself, and probably better than the dealership would.
    Wind noise is still there; I'm trying to get used to it. Gets much worse at highway speeds; much worse than my husband's Grand Cherokee, or any other SUV or van type vehicle I've ridden in. If you have successfully had this repaired at your dealership (or if you have fixed it yourself!) please post your solution for me!
    Thanks. :shades:
    Just so that you know, wind noise emanating from mirror is fixable. But sound insulation in general is not. That has to be part of design process. Toyota excels in silent cabins. Flip side is that you pay more for a Toyota. But seriously though, how much does sound insulation material cost? I can trade couple of features that I use less for good sound insulation. I wish Mitsu did some more homework in this area before they put out the product.
    I figured as much. And I agree with you; do you think that the lightweight roof material (aluminum? not steel) they used in order to lessen risk of rollover contributes to the sound problem? My next car will be a Toyota. :(
    Keep in mind that everything is relative. So my comments have to be taken in context with that. Noise comes in different ways:
    1. windows (except laminated)
    2. Firewall
    3. Undercarriage etc..
    Aluminium roof probably has little to do with it.. but then I am not an automotive engineer..
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    After I fixed the mirror rattle my wind noise is not unusually loud.
    BTW, did you apply the same fix to both mirrors?
    Yes, same to both sides.
    If you use RAV4 as a comparison, I would not qualify RAV4's cabin quieter. If you talk Lexus, this is different story. In RAV4, and Camry for that matter, you will not be able to hear the wind noise due to rattling noises. This is based on what I read on RAV4's forums and my personal experience with a weekend driving an 07 Toyota Camry.To be fair, it was cold outside (-20 Celsius), but even after the car was warmed up the rattling noise was still there and it was coming from somewhere in the dashboard as well from the B-pilar on the driver side.
    RAV4 V6 was unexpectedly noisy too when I test drove it- engine noise, road noise and as a daily driver I don't drive a quiet car either. I was expecting a much quieter ride from a big V6 as I used to enjoy from other V6s I had/drove in the past.
    I had the mirror rattle, got that fixed by the dealer. And I can not really complain of the wind noise, because I think that was pretty much what you get in a decent car. CR-V and RAV-4 performs about the same compared to the Outlander from my experience. The cabin noise is better than I expect it to be.
  • agolbergagolberg Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if Mitsu has a service bulletin number or some sort of identification of the wind noise/mirror rattle issue? I just picked up my outlander last week (4wd xls) and am experiencing this issue.
    GROUP 42A Body

Wind Noise From Outside Mirrors - 2007 Outlander.

A wind noise (a light buzz) may originate from the outside mirror area of the 2007 Outlander when driving between 30-40 mph. The noise may be more apparent in a cross wind. To repair this condition, remove the plastic cover under the mirror pivot point.

Apply adhesive backed foam or felt to the two tabs, wrapping the foam/ felt around each tab, then reinstall the cover. Verify the repair.

----

I did the modification myself and it FIXED the problem completely, no doubt about it. Here are some photos of how to remove the cover from the bottom of the mirror.

There is a small opening designed for a screwdriver that allows you to pry it off. Once off, just roll up some foam and place it in the middle of the cover. Then just snap the cover back on.

I went a little farther and put electrical tape on the outside to prevent air from getting into the leading edge of the gap. My plans are to make a piece of black graphics vinyl that will seal it completely and look stealth. Once I get the shape I'll post it.

But for now, absolutely no wind rattles anymore.

Pics...

• ginobili_fanginobili_fan Member Posts: 9
    Wow..that is awesome. I'm having the same problem so I'll give this a go. Should save me a 90 mile trip to the dealership. Thanks a ton!
    Thanks for the great DIY post!
  • pettrollpettroll Member Posts: 6
    I just got my Outlander back after 3 weeks in the shop to fix the front drivers axle. I slid into a curb doing about 30mph, hit it at about a 45 degree vehicle angle on the front drivers tire. The wheels were turned so when the impact occurred the wheel hit the curb straight on - not the tire, the wheel which snapped the whole tire assembly, axle, and all. It was ugly. ANYWAY, my retardism aside, I'm in no mood to take the car back to the dealer anytime soon for anything!! This wind rattle has been nothing short of obnoxious, and I'm very pleased to be able to fix it so easily without dealing with the dealership. I won't say their service was all BAD, because the car seems fixed, but at the same time I had to call THEM as they were horrible about keeping me updated. When parts or the insurance company were delayed they made zero effort to keep me in the loop and I was paying rental costs out of pocket (which they knew quite well.) I digress, thanks for the photos.
    I fixed mine last night and I tested it out today in a 200 km drive in rain and wind and the noise is gone. I drove most of the distance with the radio off so I could observe the noise level. Only some normal wind and road noise, but far from being intrusive.
    This did help somewhat. (Or maybe I'm becoming accustomed to the wind noise.) But I do believe this mirror fix did help.
    Thanks so much for the tip! ;)
  • piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    "I posted previously about wind noise. I found that it was coming from the space between the bottom of the outside mirror and the mirror mount. Look at it and you will see there is a small space for air to pass through. I put a strip of Velcro in the space and the noise was eliminated."

Can anybody guess which forum this came from?

No, it is actually from 2007 Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair, post #144
    LOL... Are they using the same supplier for the side mirrors?
    Even after trying out all the fixes for the side mirrors, the hard reality is that my Outlander has excessive wind noise. I enjoy driving it on all roads, except Interstate; on which I drive 50 miles each day :cry: . Once I start driving close to or over 70mph, it feels as if a windstorm is moving all over the vehicle. I especially hate the noise of the front bumper cutting through the wind and the wind hitting over the hood and the windshield.

If anyone, anyone has any suggestions or fixes for this problem, please please let me know. Else sooner or later, I will have to cut my loses and trade-in for something else.

I was planning to make long road trips this summer with my new vehicle; but now I have to go back to Hertz to do those stuffs :mad:
    Better trade it in for another SUV which does not have any wind noise. It's hard to live with a vehicle you don't like. As for me, my Outlander is perfectly OK. It's not perfect, but close to it. I still enjoy driving it like the first day I bought it, especially now that mileage has improved vastly. :shades: ...Outeverything... Everything.... :)

And talking of long trips, Winconsin here we come... Too bad the weather has been very unpredictable this past few weeks. Bikes racks and the new mountainbike are all ready for an off-road fun with the Outlander. Can't wait til it's summer already. ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thought about a bug deflector? It might "change the pattern" of the wind flow and make the noise tolerable. If you get one that bolts on you could always take it off and eBay it if makes the noise worse. Maybe check the manufacturers listed at SEMA and see if there's a body kit/front spoiler that'll fit.

Really shooting in the dark now, but maybe some different tires would help.
    Try hood bug deflector, side window deflectors, and sunroof deflector. Add insulation under hood, in doors, and in roofliner.
    If you read some of the other forums (RAV4, Acura etc.) you also hear complaints about wind noise. I think the rest of the car is so quiet compared to older cars that it makes the wind noise stick out a lot more.

Personally, my Outie is quiet enough for comfortable cruising.
    How does one go about "adding insulation" to the roofliner and doors? Do body shops do this sort of thing?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think a body shop would be the place to go if you don't want to do it yourself.

Do an Advanced Search for "dynamat Varmint" for a bunch of posts about a member who used dynamat on his CR-V to try to quieten the road noise.

Here's one example post of his:

varmint, "Honda CR-V Owners: Accessories & Modifications" #494, 27 Apr 2005 10:18 am
  • nbmannbman Member Posts: 5
    Another good site for sound deadining information:
    http://secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
    Lots of great hands on information on their forum section.
    It seems like the mirror wind/noise has been fixed by Mitsubishi at the factory starting February build. New buyers, check out the manufacturing date on the driver's door (B-pillar).
    dodo2: If it is fixed from Feb build, what would be the solution for buyers who bought it before that? Any offical TSB's?

And thanks for those who gave various suggestions to reduce wind noise. I want to keep adding dynamat insulation, by removing door panels and firewall to be the last option. Does they void the warranty of the car? Can the insulation be done on the pillars too (since the pillars have airbags)

Does tightening the doors so that it is more pressed against the frame, make any improvement? The speaker on my driver side door seems to be loose. Anyone noticed that? Also, does an improper windshield installation cause more wind noise?
    As far as I know, there is no TSB per say, but dealers have a memo on how to fix it (it's somewhere on this thread). The instructions in the memo match the actual Mitsu factory fix (I have seen the mirror plastic caps from a February build).
    I did fix mine as shown in the DIY instructions posted in this thread and it works. When I go in for my first oil change I will ask the dealer if I can get the "official" fix, just for the sake of comparing the results. Either way, this is not an issue for me anymore.
    My ride is fine the way it is, with some wind noise that I consider normal for this car. I guess it depends on what you compare it to.
  • slaigoslaigo Member Posts: 18
    I noticed that the wind noise has
    somehow abated on my Outie, not sure of the reasons. I suspect that it takes the seals from the windows several opening and closing to make it tighter. I used to hear all the noise from cars passing by, but that was 3 months ago and several opening and closing of the windows.

Check the seals in your windows, there might be some kinks or something that prevents them from closing tight.
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    Who is going to be first and test if it helps wind noise?
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    Who is going to be first and test if it helps wind noise? They are not available from my dealer yet.
This discussion has been closed.