Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Wind noise for Outlander 2007

2»

Comments

• spaceman210spaceman210 Member Posts: 50
    I remember from an old post about another vehicle with bad wind noise that he fixed this by beefing up the door seals. He did this by removing them and inserting clear plastic tubing inside, and re-installing.

Check with the dealer before messing with anything in the vicinity of any air bag.
  • gosokgosok Member Posts: 3
    Pictures of the official Mitsubishi fix can be found here, taken from a Feb 07 built.

http://outieclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=122#p122
  • lion14nlion14n Member Posts: 1
    :mad: :lemon: Well let me start out by saying I have been with Mitsubishi for 9 year and never had a problem until I purchased the 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander. I have been with the same dealership and have paid off 5 cars with them, so I am very very LOYAL but things have changed. The car has been in for the wind noise 5 times and no luck in it being fixed. The Regional Rep came down and said that it is a DESIGN FLAW in the vehicle and that is all, so I have opened a review and a third party mediation, but hey they work for the corporation so how do you think that will GO,Yeah right I will lose. Anyways I have went back to the dealer and they told me they will do what they can for me after they hear the results of the mediation hearing. If nothing is done by the dealer then I will have a BIG SURPRISE for them coming in the next few days. Now can I live with the noise maybe but my wife can't and it is hers so NO! The dealer needs to get me out of the vehicle and I am willing to stay with the product and go into a 08 Lancer GTS, is this to much to ask for? I think not, but if this is what PHIL LONG of MOTOR CITY in Colorado Springs, CO does to and treats there loyal customers then BEWARE if you read this and are from the Springs. Phil Long is HUGE in the Springs, so if you think it is just the MITS product, THINK AGAIN!

PISSED OFF LOYAL CUSTOMER! :mad: :lemon:
  • lpandcaptjimlpandcaptjim Member Posts: 10
    The noise is really bugging me too. doesn't bother my husband so much, but I guess we ladies are sensitive to noise. (!) Please post your results from the mediation; if the company treats you right, there may be hope for the rest of us.....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out Edmunds' new Dealer Ratings and Reviews. Spread the word. ;)
  • suku1suku1 Member Posts: 1
    seems many have issues with wind noise. I too am very upset with the wind noise (well, also road noise) in my 2007 Outlander. Went multiple times to the dealer, did the fix for mirror as per TSB, but in vain. My wife thought that I was getting paranoid when she saw me putting tapes all over the pillar-window-door joints, to identify the cause of noise. Finally the dealer replaced the mirror. There was little improvement after that, but still the wind noise is very bad. Worse than any small or large vehicle I have driven. Travelling in my friend's mini-van made me envious(because of quietness) of his vehicle which I had earlier categorised as "ugly-looking".

reasons for wind noise I can think of :
    1) Design problem - air flow around pillars and door: When closed, the front doors are supposed to be below the pillar A (ie. it should not be protruded) and rear doors should lie lower than the front doors, so that air won't hit the projected areas. There is inconsistency in my vehicle. Door seals may also be improper.
    2) lighter door and pillar frames (overall vehicle body). Lightness improves mileage, but also wind noise :(
    3) less or no sound deadening material placed within the panels.

I do not know what can be the solution. Maybe next I will try side-window deflector. Unfortunately the dealer from whom I bought the vehicle is very very far away (went there to get the best deal :mad: )...and so the closest dealer who now does the maintenance will not have much incentive to satisfy me :cry:
  • corktonfuncorktonfun Member Posts: 3
    I just got my XLS a week ago and I took it on a 2000km trek up to Northern BC and did not notice a loud wind noise what so ever.
    The only wind noise I heard is when I had the sunroof completely opened and the bracket that helps seal the window sticks up like a sore thumb and creates wind noise!( Doesn't help when you want to cruise at 140 km/hr. I'm wondering if anybody has installed the sunroof visor? And does it alleviate this problem? Thanks.
    Oh yeah and my Outlander rocks! :)
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    I did, and yes it does help a lot with the wind noise. But as a warning, it will not eliminate it totally, especially at high speeds.

Here's a pic tutorial/walthrough on how to install it: http://outlander.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=56
  • jojo16jojo16 Member Posts: 6
    I test drove second time today to find out how bad wind noise was.
    First time I only drove around town and did not notice any thing to complain.
    I tried short freeway drive at 60+mph but did not feel so bad.
    I also tried Lexus RX 400h yesterday.
    Of course it was much nicer and more quiet but not to the extent to justify $20K difference.
    I also noticed XLS interior was not that bad to complain for the same reason.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I've had mine back for a few weeks and the wind noise is gone.

They said I was the first to complain and the first one they fixed.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    What did they do? A tech bulletin or notification?
    There is a technical service bulletin for the problem. The service advisor had never heard of the problem but was able to find the TSB right away.
  • pettrollpettroll Member Posts: 6
    I stuffed that spongy packing stuff in my mirror compartments under the little popouts. I'm referring to the stuff that comes in sheets, or rolls, whitish stuff. Anyway the fix took all of 5 minutes total and the wind noise is 100% gone. It was driving me nuts too, but honestly it's not hard to fix. If the dealer couldn't fix this in 5 tries something is seriously wrong. First off, you shouldn't need a dealer to do this- I mean it shouldn't need to be done in the first place, granted, but the fix is ridiculously simple and it just works. There's no grey area here. Mine is gone.
    I have stuffed the mirrors also. But the wind noise is still there at +60 MPH. The wind noise is from something else.
  • lpandcaptjimlpandcaptjim Member Posts: 10
    We've stuffed the mirrors, which helped a bit. And we have window deflectors, which helps a little bit. The wind noise is still apparent at highway speeds, and we think the lightweight aluminum roof is part of the problem.
    On a positive note, we are traveling in the mountains of North Carolina (we live in FL) and this is a great mountain car. The paddle shifters make the mountainous, winding roads a cinch. My husband is thrilled with this feature, makes driving like a sportscar!
    If there were less road/wind noise, this would be a perfect car for us. ;)
    Agree wholly.
  • marcjhomarcjho Member Posts: 4
    Hello fellow Outlander owners!

I've just purchased mine a couple weeks ago and noticed when I'm driving on the freeway with the back windows down and the front windows up there's this pulsing sound that just kills my ears. As soon as I crack the front windows it will go away. Is this what the typical wind noise is everyone is talking about?

Also is there a place where people can see what the technical service bulletin's are without going into the dealership?

Thanks!

- Marc
    I've notice the same thing on mine. My son will open his rear window while the other ones are closed and there's a deafening noise. I have noticed this on a rental car we had also, maybe it's a common thing?

For people complaining about wind noise, I hear a little around the mirrors at higher speeds, but they are large, somewhat flat mirrors, and I would think a little wind noise would be unavoidable.
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    No it's not that. Any car will do the same.
    Agreed - the helicopter noise is pretty common. Here's a great post about it:

tidester, "Volvo XC90 SUV" #930, 3 Jan 2003 10:19 pm
    interesting.... i've never come across this in any other car i've been in. thanks for the link.

- marc
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    i've never come across this in any other car i've been in.

I'm a bit surprised by that since it's a rather ubiquitous phenomenon. I'm also curious. Has your experience been mostly with smaller and/or luxury cars?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I drove an Explorer before my Outlander, and a few of my friends have SUV's (Pathfinder and Bronco I believe) that have never heard of that either....

- Marc
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks for the info, Marc. It is interesting.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Now you need to invite those friends out for a drive and initiate them to the world of throbbing eardrums. :shades:
  • colin42colin42 Member Posts: 4
    I've had my outlander for 2 weeks (2wd XLS with Navigation) and in general I'm very impressed with the vehicle. However I have the wind noise issue (My car was 1st registered in January 07 so would have been an early one. My observations are as follows.

The wind noise is made of 2 parts, the mirror noise which sounds more like 2 parts vibrating - this appears to be well discussed. The 2nd source of wind noise appears to be from the windows.

What I've notices is that as the window is raised and hit the top stop the glass deflects out slightly. I assume this must be reducing the force on the window seal and causing cabin noise, if i lower the window a fraction (so still closed but just off top stop) the noise reduced to a more acceptable level.

Has anyone else experienced this window seal issue. Is there a know fix of it. If you do suffer from side window wind noise try slightly lowering the window and see if that has an effect.

The dealer is located 70 miles from where I live so i want to have all my facts in place before i pay him a visit
  • disappointed12disappointed12 Member Posts: 15
    your observation seems to be correct. The wind noise got reduced somewhat when the window is lowered a fraction. Did you get the issue fixed?
  • colin42colin42 Member Posts: 4
    Not yet - I've found a dealer closer to my home who I will take it to, but It's still 35 miles away so need to arrange a convenient time to take it.
  • picard12picard12 Member Posts: 55
    how do guys fix wind noise problem in the mirror? did you put sound proofing foam in there?

Has anyone add sound proofing foam at the firewall ?
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    I think this problem have been addressed somewhere here. But I think there is TSB that tell dealers how to solve this problem. This may be done free of cost because warranty issues.
  • hhuangpehhuangpe Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Do you still have these pictures? Thanks,
This discussion has been closed.