Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Outlook Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fernhillfernhill Member Posts: 17
    greenjdc:

Hi I posted the message before you, in talking with my dealer about a 36 month lease (not mentioned above) he quoted a residual of 61% ($18,867.45) for an XE AWD with 15,000 annual miles. Seems like the % you were quoted is too low considering you are looking at only 12,000 miles.

fernhill
  • greenjdcgreenjdc Member Posts: 25
    fernhill - thanks. It seemed crazy to me, particularly since their posted lease "special" residuals come out to 65% for a 39 mo, 12K lease. I'll ask again. Appreciate the quick response.
    update: dealer told me today that the lease program ended yesterday that had 62% residual, 6% for a 12K/yr 39 mo. lease. Not a particularly good deal - but a lot better than what they offered me today - 51% residual and 7.5% interest. Also doesn't explain why they told me 52 or 53% last week . . . Saleswoman says that this is probably a "lull" and that she hopes/thinks there will be a better program when GM sees cars sitting on the lot.
  • fernhillfernhill Member Posts: 17
    Hey greenjdc:

My ealer experience was this past saturday - I contacted another dealer today (trying to see if I could get a better price) they initially said their monthly price on a 15,000 mile a year lease for 39 months zero down XE AWD with employee discount was $447 a month. Then when I told them I had a nother dealer quote me $427 a month - they came back and said the lease rates changed today (they read the wrong rates) and that their price would be the $427. In addition he mentioned that the first dealer I went to was their sister dealer (which I think it is) and that they use the same rates. This would mean I am still in the 61%/6% range.

I emailed him back to see if he would give me a dealer in the area they were "sisters" with as I was trying to get the best price even though they have a no haggle policy. We shall see.
    Fernhill -

Good info, thanks. Looks like new leases options are back up on Saturn's website, with residuals 1 or 2 points down from the old offers. Still low 60s - so the 51% they gave me yesterday was a one day thing. Timing is a funny thing - I might have leased one yesterday but now I'm thinking of whether I really want to lease a vehicle. Good luck!
  • smelltestsmelltest Member Posts: 3
    Hi -

Wondering if anyone out there has tried to purchase an Outlook with a GM employee discount? How much off the MSRP does one get? Can the dealer tell you the discount prior to ordering the vehicle?

BTW....I noticed some earlier comments about GM Cards being ineligible for Saturns - This is definitely NOT the case in Canada. Not sure about US customers.
  • janntjannt Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I just pruchased a new 2007 Outlook and I absolutely love my new vehicle. (I am so impressed with what Saturn has done.)

To answer your question, yes, the dealer will give you the exact price for any GM discoutn (Employee or Supplier) prior to purchasing/ordering the vehicle. Saturn, as you probably know, is a no-haggle dealer, so what you pay is what everyone else pays minus any incentives offered at the time of purchase.

Hope this helps!
  • clintcelaclintcela Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

I found this board after signing a lease on an Outlook. MSRP of $39,900. I think they did the residual at about 50% because it was about half of the MSRP. Also the payments came out to $629 / month for 39 months with $0 down. I thought that was high. I did not take delivery of the vehicle because the one with the options I wanted was on another lot. I found out that it had an imperfection in the roof rack. According to the info here, those payments look way too high. The sales manager was nice enough to let me cancel my lease without penalty.

And they did let me put 75 miles on another new Outlook while waiting for mine to be delivered. No charge even though I canceled.

I already have a 2002 SL1 and would definitely go with Saturn again.

They had the 2008 model come in last week fully loaded just like I wanted for the same price but say that Saturn has only authorized them for sale and not for lease. Perhaps when the 2008 gets a lease program, the 07 will get some decent incentives.
  • whifferdilwhifferdil Member Posts: 1
    I'm buying an 08 XR AWD (loaded) on the employee discount, pick it up next week. If you go to the GM employee website you can download the price sheet. Discount isn't HUGE but it's significant at least for this retiree and the dealer will tell you if you ask.
  • octagon3octagon3 Member Posts: 6
    Do you know what the current interest rates and residuals are on the 2007 and 2008 Outlooks, Acadias and Enclaves?

Also, is there any word on GM increasing production so the dealers stop their baloney?
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Good for you! That was a really bad deal!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is hoping to talk with consumers who have participated in Saturn’s “Side-by-Side-by-Side” test drive program.

Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before 4pm Eastern on Friday, August 3 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi Fernhill. The fact that you are purchasing through GM's employee purchase program assures that you are getting a good deal on the Outlook that you are interested in. A 36 month lease of this truck will likely result in a lower monthly payment than a 24 month lease. Let's work up a 36 month lease payment and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2007 Saturn Outlook XE AWD that has an MSRP of $30,945 and a selling price of $28,580 through GMAC right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $365. I believe that the '08 Outlook is already available.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • mdursomdurso Member Posts: 1
    On a 2008 Saturn VUE XR AWD the dealer offered the following:
    410.00 @ month, for 39 months w/ 2500.00 down and 10000 miles. The XR is loaded am/fm cd w/ dvd navigation system, heated leather seats, factory remote start. I have never lease a vehicle before, I do know that the standard miles is usually 12000 or 15000 miles. Can anyone give me some insight as to weather this is a fair deal, or am I getting ripped off
  • coasterbobcoasterbob Member Posts: 32
    I have been looking for a 2007 Outlook 4WD XR, Cream/Tan Leather, with no other options. I have been unsuccessful so far. I was hoping it might turn up somwhere near me (S. Jersey). Does anyone know what we might expect, incentive-wise on the 2008's? Thanks, Bob
  • rtraversirtraversi Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at leasing a 2008 Outlook XR FWD. With the options (Prm, trim, conv. pkg, trailering pkg, 7 seat, XM) the MSRP is 33,705.

How do you determine what the capitalized cost will be? Also, does anyone know if there are any current lease deals out there right now for the 08 Outlook. I'd like to determine how much I can expect for a lease payment with either 0 or $2500 down.

Any information would be helpful!
  • scdgoofyscdgoofy Member Posts: 40
    Hey all,
    Checked out the Saturn '08 Outlook today to replace our Volvo XC90 lease, which expires in a month. I really liked the Outlook... drove well, has a third row that you could actually access and sit in, and overall nice feeling about it.

That being said, is Saturn really the "non-haggle" dealership, or is there wiggle room in a lease negotiation? I am so used to crunching numbers that it makes me uneasy to hear from the dealership "these are they numbers and you don't have to negotiate".

With a house and car, you never pay the asking price... is this really different with Saturn? If not, any advice on how to work the best lease? (Looking for well equipped '08 XR in Southern California.)

Thanks!
  • maverick8maverick8 Member Posts: 25
    Hi Fernhill, Car_man, I have finaly given up on the hope of finding a suitably discounted LR3 and test drove several alternatives. The Outlook actually really impressed me as the space is incredible and unmatched outside the minivan. The drive was surprisingly pleasant; smooth, quiet, good handling with little body lean and great brakes. I like a stack of things about this beast and may well pick it over 2 other options. However pricing and how well my money works for me is very important so Car_man, do you have the current Residual and buy-rate M.F for 24 & 36 months on an 07 or 08 Outlook XR AWD? Saturn's seem such a dark art when it comes to the whole pricing thing.

Thanks,
    Folks, response from a CA Saturn dealer yesterday:
    Outlook XR AWD over 24Mths @ 10k PA = 70% residual & 6.45%
    Outlook XR AWD over 36Mths @ 10k PA = 65% residual & 6.45%

OK so nobody gets to have their cake and eat it right, but 6.45% is a joke of a rate. That equates to a MF of approximately 0.00269 !!! or almost 4x what I have been quoted on Mazda CX9 (0.00064 / 1.54%) !!!!

Now I appreciate that these -inflated?- residuals are massive, but the MF is an insult. I fully intend to qualify this fact tomorrow, watch for update.
  • jwgasnerjwgasner Member Posts: 12
    If you are just getting out of the XC90, why not go look at the Ford Taurus X (rebranded Freestyle) and save yourself about $10k. Unless you need the actual towing rating of the Acadia the Ford is a far better value.
    Go to the GMC dealer, based on posting on these boards and other forums you can do better. Some postings report purchasing GMCs between $1-2K under invoice.

No-haggle equals no good deals.
    Sorry for the delay folks, but yes you guessed it; MF in my post was accurate. Oh well time to play with the lease spreadsheet again I guess. We are literally split down the middle of 2008 Outlook XR AWD vs. Similarly equipped 2008 CX9 .... the cost per month suddenly starts playing a real part here. BTW, anyone have a guesstimate as to whether finance numbers might improve for 08 next month??

Thanks folks,
    Greetings mdurso. Since you have never leased before, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

I would be happy to give you my opinion of this deal, but you never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the Outlook that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing what this vehicle's selling price is in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. Let me know what these numbers are and I'll tel you what I think.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi rtraversi. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Look up the dealer invoice price of the exact Outlook that you want by visiting the New Vehicle Pricing section of this site and then try to negotiate a selling price that is as close to it as possible. This selling price will essentially be your truck's capitalized cost. I would be happy to use GMAC's current lease program to estimate what sort of payment you should expect on the Outlook that you are interested in should be if you provide me with its MSRP and approximate selling price.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi maverick8. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD with 15,000 miles per year are 6.0% and 67%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are 6.0% and 65%. The numbers for a 24 month, 15k lease of an '08 model are 6.45% and 67%. The 36 month numbers for the '08 are 6.45% and 64%.

Car_man
    Host
    Ok, any thoughts on this deal:

2008 XR FWD
    silver with gray leather interior
    luxury package (which includes sunroof and leather)
    touring package
    advanced audio package
    convenience package
    enhanced convenience package
    sticker - $35,650

36 months; 12,000 miles/year; drive off only ($925); monthly payment of $570 (including 8.25% CA tax)

-or-

48 months; 12,000 miles/year; drive off only ($832); monthly payment of $478 (including tax)

These decent figures, or should I wait until Oct?
  • coco7322coco7322 Member Posts: 7
    Hey, your deal looks pretty good. i am waiting for the dealership to call me to let me know what deal that can give me for a 2008 Outlook with the same options you have except 12,000 and maybe either 39 or 48 months. the salesperson told me that I would get a better deal with the 39 months, so I am just waiting. I will post the offer to see what people think about it, but your deal seems to be pretty good of 832 down and 478 .. that sounds good....
    Wow...somebody actually read my post! :-)

We actually went ahead with a lease on an '08 Outlook. The dealership we were working with on a lease called and said they made a mistake on the 48 month lease price I quoted above. I think they were calculating the monthly based on the residual of the car at 36 months, not 48 months, so the math was all screwed up. The 48 month lease was NOT advantageous at all.

We found another dealer who offered us the '08 at $500 over invoice if we were AAA or Costco members. We put $1,000 down and paid $900 or so in drive-offs and got the following Outlook for $507 a month (including 8.25% tax, 39 months, 12k miles a year):

2008 XR FWD
    Carbon Flash w/ black leather
    luxury package (which includes sunroof and leather)
    touring package
    advanced audio package
    convenience package
    enhanced convenience package
    trailering package
    (basically everything minus nav and entertainment)

We did this deal in September, so I'm not sure what the Oct numbers are.

Gotta say, I love the car. Runs smooth, the wife and kids love it, people ask us about it all the time. Gas mileage blows after running two tanks through it, but that will likely improve as the engine breaks in.

Good luck! -scd
    Hey, thanks for the quick response. WE are waiting for a offer from two saturn dealershipson the XR Fwd. One dealership gave us for a 39 month 1000 down and 525 a month including dvd, conv package, enhanced pack, audio pack and captains chair, leather.It is weird b/c one dealer offer was on a 39 month lease, but the other dealer said that they did not have a 39 month lease, just or 48. I do not know if that is a good deal. WE really want to pay in the 400's not 500's. I called another dealership and they wil be calling me today. Msrp for bothis 35,650. WE hope to get a good deal. I really would not put anything down, but I do not know what is better. Do you think that we should put 1000 down or nothing? I know that the 1000 includes first month, tax, title, fees and dest charge. In this edmunds website, they tell you not to put anything down on a lease.What do you think? I will post the offer that both dealerships gave me to see if it is a good one...
  • kmurray5kmurray5 Member Posts: 3
    Car_man,
    I am being told that the residual % on an 08 XR AWD is 63% on a 36 month, 12k mile lease (vs 64% on a 36 month/15k lease mentioned above) with a lease rate of 6.45%. Can you confirm which is accurate?
    Coco,
    I think it would be tough to get a vehicle equipped the way you want it in the $400's. I ran a million different scenarios on cars equipped in the $35 to $36k range and nothing hit that magic $480-$490 mark.

One thing to make sure to confirm with the dealer is whether you're putting money down (cap cost reduction) or paying drive off fees only. They might say, 'The price is $525 a month w/ $1,000 down," and then still charge you another $800 or $900 for drive off fees.

For mathematical purposes, consider that for every $1,000 you put down to reduce the capitalized cost of the car, your monthly price will go down about $30. Generally speaking, putting money down on a lease isn't advisable. Do so only if you want to reduce your monthly payments by a bit, but putting a ton down on a lease kinda defeats the purpose.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up with. -scd
    Hey, thanks for such great information. I got an offer for 1000 down and 525 a month. No other fees to be paid. This is for the Xr outlook fwd, with the leather, conv package, enhanced package, audio pack and dvd. What do you think about this offer? Do you think it is good? Are saturns usually good cars?I have never had a Saturn and I do not know if they will turn out good. This offer is for a 48 month with 12,000 miles. I told the salesperson that we would go by next Fri to take a look at the car and see if we can get a little lower month payment. Do you think we can possible get this car for around 500 a month?
    Hi kmurray5. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Saturn Outlook XR AWD with 12,000 miles per year are 6.45% and 66%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • msjhsapmsjhsap Member Posts: 8
    I don't know who to believe. I have been told by two Saturn dealerships that a 39 month 15K XR Outlook residual is 60% (6.45% is accurate). Do residuals change from from state to state? I am in Northern California. Is there a GMAC website that I can reference with these numbers? When I referenced your numbers they told me "Edmund's numbers can't be trusted... they are estimates." They showed me their sheet and it did say 39 months 15K was 60%. Also, does the $500 from GMAC only apply to buys or SmartLeases as well? By the way... Saturn deals just like anybody else. They dropped $500 from the MSRP just so I would not go to another dealership.
    Car_man, I really appreciate both your insight and patience with all of us in here. It may seem like we constantley ask the same questions, and ... I guess we do some of the time. The challenge is that we often get differing stories from separate dealers. I am not convinced that aving a rapport with a sales person at a dealer will ensure that I am getting the true facts from them, ... especially when they ralize that I qualify for supplier pricing!

I have spent too long trying to decide btween Outlook and CX9, I am now ready to buy an Outlook assuming the numbers stack up favourably against the Mazdas.

Please can you confirm the November Residual and MF for the following:
    2008 Outlook XR AWD - 10k miles PA, over 36 / 39, and I was told that there is a 30 month lease?

I have recently been quoted: 6.45% across the board with: 36-65%, 39-64%, but then yesterday another dealer told me 6.45% with: 30-64%, 36-61%, 39-60%! This puts the Outlook OUT of the running!

I'm ready to ready to sign for a Silver with black interior with: PCK, UR3, PDC, PDD, and TVD if the numbers play out. Please note NorCal dealers.

Thanks,
  • johnbrainjohnbrain Member Posts: 10
    "Hi kmurray5. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Saturn Outlook XR AWD with 12,000 miles per year are 6.45% and 66%, respectively."

Is this still the case in Nov.? I was looking at the Acadia but the loaded Outlook appears to be a much better deal.
  • dds57dds57 Member Posts: 2
    After much research and many test drives of Pilots, Highlanders, Cx9, Odysseys & Sienna we've decided the Outlook is our choice for our growing family.

I haven't seen many on the road( Chicago Area). Anyone out there a recent purchaser and can share price paid, availabilty etc.? Would appreciate any tips. Plan to use Internet Sales.

Also, anyone familiar with details of "GM Supplier Discount".

Thank you!
  • janntjannt Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I purchased a 2007 Outlook using supplier discount. It was easy to do and no price haggling--just look for available incentives/rebates so you can take advantage of those offers in addition to the supplier discount.

I loved the fact that there weren't too many on the road when I bought mine, but now that I own one, I am seeing them "everywhere" so-to-speak. I've owned several new cars in the past (including a Saturn vehicle) and I can honestly say that this is the best vehicle I've ever purchased.

Because my last car was a Saturn I wans't going to get another one--just wanted to try something different. But, after researching the new vehicles in this class, I couldn't find another that surpassed all the Outlook has to offer. I absolutely LOVE my Saturn Outlook!

Good luck to you!
  • dds57dds57 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. We're getting replys back as I type......

Hopefully, we'll end up as pleased as you are. Thanks again!
  • garrickgarrick Member Posts: 30
    Anyone know of lease specials coming up on the Outlook?
  • derinabderinab Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to purchase a 2007 Outlook AWD XR. Does anyone know if Saturn charges dealer prep fees? I know the manufacturer charges $735 for destination but interested if / what dealerships are charging. My assumption would be if I have to pay MSRP there won't be any additional fees added on the contract.
  • winedogswinedogs Member Posts: 102
    Why on earth are you paying MSRP for last years Outlook? Any dealer will give you at least close to invoice with a little effort on you part.
    Hi msjhsap. Vehicles' residual values should be the same across the entire country. I am pretty sure that GMAC's current residual value for a 39 month lease of a 2008 Outlook XR with 15,000 miles per year is 63%. I don't believe that GMAC provides information on its lease programs directly to the general public. The $500 customer cash that GM is currently providing on this truck is not compatible with its lease program.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome, maverick8. I'm always glad to help, unless I haven't had my coffee yet ;). According to the latest information that I have seen, GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Saturn Outlook XR AWD with 10,000 miles per year are 6.45% and 69%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise 39 month lease are 6.45% and 68%. I haven't seen this truck's 30 month lease program but one might be able to lease it for that long. If so, the lease rate would be the same, but the residual value would be a little higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi garrick. General Motors is providing lease support on the Saturn Outlook right now, but its program is nothing to write home about. Its current program is scheduled to run through the end of the year and I don't anticipate GM making any enhancements to ie before then, but you never know.

Car_man
    Host
  • jqualityjquality Member Posts: 1
    Carman, I was just quoted 6.45% and 64% for a 39month lease on a 2008 Outlook XR FWD - 10k/yr.
    This is different from what you stated and I wanted to know if the residual value difference is due to it being a FWD as opposed to a AWD. does this make a difference?
    thanks
  • jesse2170jesse2170 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am thinking about leasing a 2008 Saturn Outlook XR AWD by the weekend. The sticker is $35,000 and change with destination charges. I am planning on putting down $4000.00 down in total, 15,000 miles per year, for 39 months. The dealer quoted me $440.00 per month including tax.

Can someone please tell me if this is a good deal?

I thank you in advance,

Jesse
  • rtadamsrtadams Member Posts: 28
    Hey Carman,
    Can you provide the January Lease numbers for the 2008 Outlook(I'm posting in the GMC Acadia forum too)? I have a lease calculator, just need the MF/lease rate and residuals. I am specifically interested in a 36-39 month lease w/ 12k miles in New Jersey.

Thanks a lot for your help.
  • bruce_leebruce_lee Member Posts: 23
    Hi,
    Just wanted to post my buying experience. I've been researching the Outlook since it came out and finally decided to buy one
    I wanted a base Outlook XR with only the 'Trailering Pkg' as an option.

I wanted either an Ocean Mist or Silver exterior with an ebony cloth (8-Passenger) interior.

December 29, 2007 I drove to Los Angeles to make a deal on my Outlook. Was able to negotiate invoice pricing.

Purchased a 2008 Saturn Outlook XR
    Silver exterior with Ebony interior
    8-passenger / cloth seats.

Options:
    Trailering pkg
    Navigation with ‘backup camera’
    Convenience Pkg (Remote start and
    Power lift gate)

Price:................... MSRP......Invoice
    ............................. 30,190.....28,530
    Opt Equip
    UZR TouchScreen....2,340......2,176
    Navigation

PCU (with UZR) ....... 685.......637

PDC Conv Pkg..........870.......809

V92 Trailering Pkg.....425...... 395

Destination Charge....735......735

Total with Options.....35,245.....33,282

I offered 33,200 before the $500 Discount.

Price paid: $32,700.00 before taxes.

They wanted to add $695 for ‘paint protection’, $195 for ‘pin stipes’ and $350 for “marketing fee’. I said no to all these.

I hope this helps. As you can see, some Saturn dealers are dealing.
    Nice work!

Did they charge you any extra fees (doc fee, etc...)?
This discussion has been closed.