Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Outlook Prices Paid and Buying Experience

124»

Comments

• emlebethemlebeth Member Posts: 1
    On the 2009 XR heated leather seats and 7-passenger seating come standard. These were added options on the 2008. I'm sure that has something to do with the price increase.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I don't think that is correct. I purchased a 2008 XR, MSRP $35,525. I go and build the same 2009 on Saturn.com and it shows MSRP as $37,930. Also, my 2008 MSRP included destination but I can not tell if the $37,930 does. So, the increase is $2400 if destination is included, or over $3000 if it is not. Checking my local dealer does not show any in stock to check.

Looking closer at saturn.com and edmunds.com the XR w/convenience package includes the rearview camera system which the 2008 did not. Saturn.com is showing $495 add on for 7 passenger seating.

I'm glad I bought mine in August and did not wait for the economic crash and price increase.
  • guy1974guy1974 Member Posts: 119
    Increasing the price now allows GM the option of large incentives later. This way they get some extra cash from those willing to pay extra and in the new year when they need to increase sales they can give $2-3K rebates.
    While I understand the idea that raising the MSRP later could give the option for large incentive later, it has not been that long that folks were pointing to the large incentives given on some domestic brands as a lack of quality or marketability. Has that changed? I don't know.

Personal experience, 2004 bought an Envoy XL SLT with large rebate ($5000+) IIRC. Net purchase was around $31K on a vehicle with MSRP of almost $40K with Supplier Discount. Year after that or so, the MSRP had been lowered as well as discounts and incentives, so net was still about the same.

So, "Hey look at that discount, what a great deal!!" or

"Look at that POS, they have to really cut prices to give them away because no one will buy them for asking price!!"

I think I'm glad I bought my Outlook XR in August instead of waiting for the '09 price increase. I have not checked what bottom line is vs the '08.

Just went to GMSUPPLIERDISCOUNT.com but could not get GSM pricing on the Outlook... I did confirm that MSRP on the one I bought has increased from $35.5 to $37.9 and that did include destination. Only difference is the convenience package now includes the backup camera...mine only has the warning beep system.
    I agree with you that the domestics were planning to reduce incentives and have more realistic MSRP pricing - don`t know what has happened.
    The '09 does have a more powerful and economic engine compared to the 08 so that is worth something also.
    "The '09 does have a more powerful and economic engine compared to the 08 so that is worth something also"

I thought I read that the Chevy Traverse was the only one of the 4 with the DI engine. I did go on Edmunds and Saturn.com and it looks as if the specs do show about 13 HP more for the '09 XR vs the '08. Still the MSRP jumped much more that I would have expected, even with a few added content items. Maybe not quite 10% but at least 7% if my estimated are correct.

Bill
  • joshuagjoshuag Member Posts: 92
    In today's paper on So. Cal, they have a Chevy Traverse for 26k, and they have the Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia for 27k. That is a deal for the car you are getting. My cousin has a Outlook, it is their second Saturn and they love it. They have had it for almost a year with no problems.
    All Lambda's get the DI engine with the increase in mpg and HP.
  • ifsandbutsifsandbuts Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone heard anything about new deals coming up in December? I am amazed that the American automakers don't seem to be dealing much, comsidering that some of them may end up in bankruptcy soon. I have been debating between a Chrysler T&C and a Saturn Outlook XR-- yes, two companies that are on the endangered list -- and keep hoping that one will break loose with a better deal. I prefer the Saturn but really need to get in a bit cheaper.
    GM has it's red tag sale until 5 January. After that who knows what the deals will be but I don`t expect them to change the red tag sale terms since they have been in effect since early November and are a 2 month program. So if you can wait I would until January.

Chrysler will be bought by Renault/Nissan or fail since their product line is much weaker than GM or Ford and they have no real international presence (again unlike GM or Ford).
  • ifsandbutsifsandbuts Member Posts: 16
    Looks like the only GM deals now are loyalty for current owners. For everyone else they are back aat MSRP. Weird -- makes it easier and easier to understand WHY all these car companies are failing -- they sure don't seem that interested in actually selling cars!
  • suvseeker40suvseeker40 Member Posts: 1
    For a 34Kish MSRP XE FWD, been offered 700 off + about 1300 supplier's discount that everyone cannot get. What do you guys think?

Also, any thoughts on

AWD vs. FWD (we heard a vehicle this heavy doesnt really need AWD at 2K more)
    XE trim + Trim and pref. package vs. XR trim at about 1.5 K more
  • rocketbobrocketbob Member Posts: 23
    I recently notice that GM Canada is currently offering a $6500 "price adjustment"
    for a 2009 6 cylinder Vue XR. The current list price is $31000 Can, which brings
    the price into line with US prices. Since we rarely get any real incentives in Canada
    has anyone heard any more about closing Saturn down. Judging from the lack
    of activity on Edmonds Vue Forums, the cars must not be selling.
    I am interested because I am in the market for a new small SUV. I currently
    have a 2003 FWD 6 cylinder Vue which has been a great vehicle.
  • blue02ssblue02ss Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to scoop up a leftover 08 XR AWD with an MSRP of $40K. Supplier is $38.8KI could really care less about the DI engine or the bluetooth, so the 08 vs 09 debate is a moot point for me. There is a $4K rebate on the 08 and a $3K rebate on the 09, so I think that an additional discount off of supplier discount price is in order, seeing as how I'm taking a car that's almost two years old off their hands. Am I on track or off base? Any ideas on what's reasonable to pay? Help is greatly appreciated.
  • seabeebuseabeebu Member Posts: 1
    We were told the same thing at Saturn Of Peoria Illinois and Again Saturn of Gleanview Illinois- The price you see is the price you pay,,
    On a 2009 XR with 20" rims, Tri coat paint , $38835 dealer sticker price at Peoria,, then dealer works price on $39434,, says the bump in price is for a trim package, not listed on sticker,, - no deal --so we drove 4 hours away today to Glenview Illinois on a 17K 2008 FW drive XR,, $27995 only to find it had been wrecked in the front and drivers side 2nd door,, repainted,,and a poor job at that as service manager stated" I dont pay a "G" for a front end paint,, I send to my shop for $60 bucks,,Just scratches he said,, ,,They tried taping over a beat up License plate brackaet, and the fog lights,, and thought noone would look,, the grill didnt match up perfect and teh tri coat didnt match and was already chipping off,, paint inside engine compartment was white,, not tricoat,, and they did a horrible quick fix by taping around door trim,, where you could clearly see splatter weld and tape marks,,and tried to pass the buck,, after I didnt bite they tried knocking off $5 K off anything on the lot(outlook),,figured if they had that poor of service(mgmt) - all teh while the sales lady says ,, It has a clear carfax,,,

now called Peroria store back due to the dealer in glenview knocking $5 k off instantly,, figured they could as well,, they still wont budge from their new sticker price,,, so still haggling and about 600 bucks from making a deal,, dont let them fool ya,, if they wanna sell they will haggle,,
  • khookskhooks Member Posts: 4
    Be very careful of 08 Outlooks if they have a sunroof they leak.
  • cpamancpaman Member Posts: 58
    Carman,

I am interested in leasing the Saturn Outlook 2009 or 2010, please let me know the current GMAC MF and residual values

ty
  • w2gew2ge Member Posts: 4
    Surprised if they would write a lease... Saturn is KAPUT. Penske fell through, 2010 is end of the road. You'd be buying/leasing a dinosaur.

Can imagine the residual value would be so low that it would re ridiculous.... What is a car worth from a company that does not exist??????????? Whose gonna buy it!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi cpaman. Unfortunately, General Motors is not providing lease support for any of the divisions that it is terminating, Saturn, Saab, or Pontiac. If you really want to lease, the Outlook is not for you.

That's the bad news. The good news is that GM significantly enhanced its incentives on 2009 Saturn models last week (there is no 2010 Outlook). You can now finance one at 0% for six years or take advantage of $5,500 cash plus another grand for loyal customers. Those are some pretty hefty incentives.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • westendgirl1westendgirl1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a leased Outlook that ends in 10/2010. Can or will the buy-out value change in light of what has happened to Saturn? I have gone over my mileage and always expected to buy the car at the end of the lease but in light of recent developments, I would not do that unless the price was right. Any predictions on what may happen? Thanks in advance for your help!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi westendgirl1. It is very likely that the real-world value of your Outlook today is no where near its official end-of-term purchase option price. It's difficult to say whether the bank that you are leasing your Saturn through, likely GMAC, will be willing to work with you on its price. The best way to find out is to give them a call directly. Some banks will negotiate the lease-end purchase prices of vehicles. If your initial contact at your bank is not willing to lower your vehicle's purchase price, you may have better luck if you work your way up the ladder to a manager. There is a good chance that they will not lower your vehicle's price, more often than not they will not, but you don't have anything to lose by asking.

Once you know exactly how much money it is going to cost you to buy your leased vehicle you need to compare it to its current value on the open market. You can find out approximately what your vehicle is worth by looking up its Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: sysop, "Real-World Trade-In Values" #, 14 Dec 2000 10:07 pm.

If your vehicle's purchase price is less than or similar to its current value on the open market then you may want to consider buying it. If not, walk away.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,756

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• hfox33hfox33 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Saturn Outlook is a Lemon with severe electrical issues and has been serviced over 30 times. Recently 7 times in the past 6 months with burning, melting, and a wide randge of electrical issues. GM is not honering my warranty @ playing games. I am now faced with filing a lawsuit under NC Lemon Law. I have found any Outlook and Acadia owners with the same electrical problems as well.

Please join my facebook group

Saturn - GM Outlook & Acadia LEMONS

We have member from the media watching this group...LETS GET GM TO LISTEN!
This discussion has been closed.