Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier GMC Acadia Lease Questions

Comments

• marvinbilmarvinbil Member Posts: 1
    I just started this whole lease process, and would love any help in learning how to negotiate. I am looking at 2008 SLT-1 2008 Acadia in Louisiana. It has added DVD System, Convenience Package and Tow Package. I am looking a 36 mo 15,000 mi. per year. They are quoting me 8.99%Rate LEV 22089 with a payment of 628+ taxes. The "final list price is 35520.00 + 397.50 for "Customer Service Package" and various license/Title Fees, etc. I know I can do better, but I want to be armed with facts. Any thoughts........Thank you in advance.
  • warringtonwarrington Member Posts: 2
    Wondering if this was a good price. Dallas Texas, 2008 slt2 list price 36,880 purchase price 34,620, smart buy 39 months ~$549 + ttl, thanks for the help
  • pythian828pythian828 Member Posts: 5
    The GMAC rate for the Acadia for Spetember is 8%
  • mauxusmauxus Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

my first post on the forum but I've been browsing around edmunds for the last month. I love the good info you can get here. But everything is so new to me and there is so much to learn that I'm not able to put all this info together to make it useful right away. Can you help me?
    I have this deal in my hands, what do you think about it?

2007 Acadia SLT-2 FWD, 500 miles odometer
    MSRP: 42470
    Invoice: 39940
    Selling Price: 38730
    Money factor: 0.00309 for 39months/12000mi
    Residual: 26703 (is it approx 62%???)
    $4000 out the door
    $454/mo tax included

My worries are:
    1) probably doesn't include gap insurance (still waiting for an answer)
    2) it has 500 miles on it.
    3) isn't the down payment a little high considering it has 500 miles on the odometer?

If you dont think it's a good deal, what should my counter offer be?
    Please carman, I know you are busy but if you have a minute I would appreciate your input too :)

Thank you
  • silver17silver17 Member Posts: 6
    Hi all: Need a little help on whether this is a decent lease deal. Also, CAR MAN, I'd much appreciate it if you could provide the 10/08 residuals and MF for 39 mth-15K miles. Thanks in advance.

2008 GMC Acadia SLT-2, AWD, Nav, DVD Ent, Trailering, 8-Pass, Pearl White Diamond Tricoat.
    MSRP - 44,625
    Selling Price - 42,500
    Conquest - 500
    $2500 out of pocket (I'm sure some of this is going to cap cost reduction)
    $683 per month w/NYS Tax

Also, does anyone have any information about the $450 or so package which protects against a 2000 mile overage?
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    It sounds as if the lease program for GMC Acadias is not attractive right now.

Is it better to purchase an Acadia and finance it or lease it? Anyone have a quick answer? Thanks!
  • octagon3octagon3 Member Posts: 6
    Do you know how low GM has gone with it's lease rates in general? I know we won't be seeing any programs on the Lambdas for a few months, at the earliest - just want to know if it is worth waiting a little while before doing a deal.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Welcome mauxus. Let me see of I can answer all of your questions.

1) I believe that all leases through GMAC automatically include gap insurance at no additional charge, but you should check with your salesperson to be certain.

2) The selling price that you were quoted on this truck looks pretty good to me. You are getting a vehicle that does not currently have any cash incentives available on it for less than dealer invoice. This is a reasonable price, even after taking the fact that it has 500 miles on it into account.

3) You really should not make such a large down payment when leasing. I always advise consumers against making big capitalized cost reductions on leased vehicles. Those who make them risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. Even though it means that your monthly payment will be a little higher, you would be better off going with a zero down lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi silver17. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 GMC Acadia with 15,000 miles per year are 8.0% and 60%, respectively. As you can see, GMAC publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. I do not believe that GM is currently offering 39 month leases on this truck.

Let's take a look at the selling price that you were quoted. The Acadia that you are interested in probably has a spread of a little over $3,200 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. That puts the selling price that you were quoted at a little over $1,000 over dealer invoice. That's not bad, but you definitely should stop by the "GMC Acadia Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar trucks lately.

If you think that you will drive more than 15,000 miles per year, you should be able to purchase additional miles on a per-mile basis. It is usually less expensive to do so at lease signing than it is to pay an excess mileage penalty at lease-end.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings baseballmom97. You're right, General Motors really is not providing much in the way of incentives or lease support on the 2008 GMC Acadia right now. If I was in the market for one, I personally would probably finance it rather than lease it. GM's special financing rates for it are not that great though, 5.9% to 7.9%. You probably should get pre-approved to finance the Acadia that you want through an independent bank prior to entering negotiations with any dealers. Doing so will give you an idea of what sort of interest rate you qualify for and it often motivates dealers to try to beat the rate that consumers already have in hand.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi octagon3. Traditionally, GM has not provided much in the way of lease support on the Acadia. It is difficult to say what it will do with its future lease program for it. If I was in the market for any GM vehicle though, I personally would wait until the end of November to get it. General Motors' current incentives are only scheduled to run through 11/19. I suspect that it will introduce an enhanced program on the 20th.

Car_man
    Host
  • vad1819vad1819 Member Posts: 309
    What about GM smart buy? I have used this when I bought Acadia. It works better, then lease. But idea is same.
    Thank you, Carman, for your advice once again! You really provide a great service for Edmunds members.

I have an Acadia on order but I don't know when it will be delivered -- so, hopefully, some better lease rates or financing incentives will come out before that time!

Thank you!
  • octagon3octagon3 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Car_man for the info. I did wait, but they don't seem to be doing anything more than the 0% on 2007 - with obviously nothing on the Enclave since it was originally on a 2008. It looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay cash.
  • beutlerdbeutlerd Member Posts: 8
    i have been trying to find the GMAC base lease rate for the Acadia. My local dealer inists it is 9% and that they do not have any control over it. Is this true? I am located in Michigan. And is ther any place to find a print out of the GMAC rates?

All the other factors in the lease are good.
    I do plan to call another dealer tomorrow, the trouble is there is only 1 GMC dealer in my area.

Thanks for your help.
  • deviusdevius Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know residuals and lease rates for the 2008 Acadia for 12,000 and 15,000 miles leases?
    I checked with a couple dealers recently and they indicated 8% as the base rate. I was able to get that rate from a local dealer. I leased an SLT 1 for 36 months, 15K miles and had a 64% residual value compared to the cap cost I negotiated (it was 60% of the sticker price). The Cap cost was about 2500 under MSRP including a 700 rebate I qualified for.

I had the vehicle about a week and absolutely love it. Very nice ride.
    Anyone know if Carman is still around the boards??

Beutlerd, thanks for the info on your lease!
  • deviusdevius Member Posts: 14
    Thanks beutlerd. Did you put any money down (cap cost reduction)? If so how much? If you don't mind sharing, how much is your monthly payment?
    I put a refundable security deposit of 625 down, nothing else other than plate transfer fees. My payment is 622 a month.
  • willhbautowillhbauto Member Posts: 6
    A Smartbuy is exactly the same as a lease except it offers you options at the end. When you do a Smartbuy there is an agreed upon balloon payment to buy the vehicle out at the end instead of having to bring it in and walk away, you're automatically approved for financing on the balloon payment as long as you made all your prior payments on time.

You pay a $250 deposition fee on a Smartbuy to turn in the vehicle if you don't want to keep it and pay the balloon payment. The rates are exactly one point higher than the GMAC Smartlease rates for any vehicle, and the residuals mimic the Smartlease. The advantages to a Smartbuy are that you're Auto insurance rates are less since you technically are not leasing it, you're buying it. And there is no security deposit on a smart buy, which can save you a few hundred bucks.

Also, if you've financed or leased anything through GMAC Financial Services before you don't have to pay a security deposit on your next lease, GMAC waives it.

Smartbuy's typically any better than standard financing/buying unless GM is running an Incentivised rate special, which they do from time to time, just not on hot merchandise like the Acadia, Sky, Corvette, Enclave.
    No problem, octagon3. Make sure to stop back and let us all know how everything turns out.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi beutlerd. It looks like the dealer that you are working with may be trying to mark GMAC's base lease rate for this truck up slightly. GMAC's current base lease rate for the 2008 GMC Acadia is actually 8.0%. This isn't very attractive, but it's better than the 9.0% that you were quoted. Make sure that the dealer uses this rate to calculate your truck's monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Car_Man

Thanks for the update. I was actually able to get the base rate from other dealers and get the dealer I was working with down to 8. I know it is not terribly attractive, but for my buying situation, a lease works well and this is the vehicle I wanted.
  • rtadamsrtadams Member Posts: 28
    Hey Carman,
    Can you provide the January Lease numbers for the Acadia(I'm posting in the Saturn Outlook forum too)? I have a lease calculator, just need the MF/lease rate and residuals. I am specifically interested in a 36-39 month lease w/ 12k miles in New Jersey.

Thanks a lot for your help.
  • kevinc4kevinc4 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a couple lease quotes for a 2008 SLT 1 Acadia. Any thought would be appreciated. DEAL or no DEAL?

MSRP: MSRP: $34,745
    ACTUAL PRICE - $32,900

Down payment $1133.00 due at signing

39 month / 15k - $518 month - Residual value - 23401.90
    39 months / 15k - $499 a month - Residual Value- unknown?
  • carquest4carquest4 Member Posts: 2
    Thinking about leasing an Acadia. A dealer tells me that there is a $695 acquisition fee however GMAC tells me that there is no fee. What's the scoop? Also, are interest rates used to calculate leases negotiable? Thank you.
    Here is my deal:

39 month 12K miles per year
    7.25 GMAC lease rate (new today Jan. 8)
    62% Residual Value

MSRP: 40660
    Invoice: 37562
    Conquest Rebate: - $500
    Dowpayment on Order: - $200

$595 lease aquisition fee (GMAC)
    $150 Doc. fee
    $120 (tax, title, license blah, blah, blah)
    $525 Lease protection plan (protects up to $2000 worth of damage)

Payment is $568 per month with nothing down except first payment. Sound good?

Interesting -- this is the exact same monthly payment I had on a 36 month lease on a 2002 Yukon which I purchased 6 years ago in 2002 for around $33000. Weird!
  • ken1976ken1976 Member Posts: 1
    Got this deal yeaterday on Acadia lease

48 month 15K miles per year

MSRP: 35000
    Conquest Rebate: - $500
    selling price 33,000

To acquire vehicle:
    $499 first month payment
    $90 Doc. fee
    $80 (tax, title, registration)

Payment is $499 per month with nothing down except first payment.
    Buy out vehicle price at end of lease $18,000.00

Sound good?
    Ken, that depends. What was the lease rate that your dealer used? 7.25%, 8%, 9%?

Also, I personally typically don't lease vehicles past the warranty period. I did lease my Acadia for 39 months which means the warranty will expire 3 months before the end of the lease.
  • yankee26yankee26 Member Posts: 7
    Hi....I'm in Jacksonville, Florida.....looking to lease an Acadia that is fully loaded, leather, moon roof, premium sound, etc.....want to put down $2,000 and pay about $450 a month for the lease 36 months, 15,000 miles a year..my wife says no way will they do this at any dealer...any thoughts on this...also how about for a Highlander same kind of car and deal......rough ballpark figures are fine, I just want to know if what I will be requesting from the dealer is something I am close on...thanks!
  • junajuna Member Posts: 15
    I'm looking to lease an '08 Acadia SLE FWD with 12k miles/year for 36-39 months and zero down (except tax, title, license, 1st months pmt, etc.). What is the residual value on these, and what is the lease rate? What kind of monthly payment should I be shooting for? I want to know what a top notch deal would be on a lease for this vehicle.

I basically just want to go into the dealer and say, "If you can give me the car for $XXX per month including taxes, consider it done." And if not, I'll walk out the door. I just need to figure out how much $XXX should be.

BTW, I can get a family discount (not valid on Saturn Outlook) b/c someone in my immediate family worked for GM for 30+ years. Plus, I have a GM Card (also not valid on Saturn) with a flyer stating that I can get $3000 earnings top-off (I have $2800 actual earnings) off select vehicles (Acadia is on the list) in January. How can I figure out what the best monthly payment is based on all of this?
    Juna, if you refer to my post above, you will see that my numbers on Jan. 9 for a 39 month lease 12K miles per year were:

7.25% lease rate
    62% residual value

You need to look at the invoice price on Edmunds for the vehicle you are look at with all options included, then make a deal on the car. Subtract your GM card earnings and anything other incentives you may qualify for -- if you currently have a non-GM vehicle in your household, you can qualify for the $500 Conquest rebate. I think there is also a $1000 GM loyalty rebate if you currently own a GM vehicle.

After you have figured out the capitalized cost that you will pay on the car, you need to add in any other fees and calculate the lease priced based on the numbers above. You may have to research Edmunds to figure out how to calculate a lease as it is rather complicated but not hard to do once you know the procedure. I also found an online lease calculator that was very helpful on another site. I'm not allowed to post other sites here but you can google "lease calculator." Good luck!
  • starrman1starrman1 Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to post my deal here and see what you all think...I think I did OK.

Pretty much a fully loaded Acadia- MSRP- $46,465
    Negotiated price- $40,027
    Lease- $521/mo for 39 mo at 12k a year.
    Due at signing- $550 security deposit, $521 first payment, $168 license and reg for a total of $1239.
    I was only able to get a 8% factor...I asked about the 7.25% but they said they was no such thing. Residual = 62%
    Also, I received the $500 loyalty rebate. They planned to include the conquest rebate but the computer wouldn't let them 'stack the rebates', does anyone know anymore about this. I have both a GM and non-GM vehicle. They even called the regional guy who said they couldn't be together.
    Anyway, any input would be great.
    You're very welcome, beutlerd. I'm glad to hear that you were able to get the dealer to lease you the Acadia that you wanted using the base rate.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, rtadams. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 GMC Acadia with 12,000 miles per year are an unattractive 8.0% and an attractive 63%, respectively. The lease rate for an otherwise identical 39 month lease would be the same, but its residual value would be 1% lower. As you can see, GMAC publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its base lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi kevinc4. The 2008 GMC Acadia that you are interested in probably has a spread of around $2,200 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. That puts the selling price that you were quoted at less than $500 over invoice, which is a very good deal. Just make sure that the dealer that you are working with uses GMAC's base lease rate of 8.0% to calculate your monthly payment and you're in business.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi carquest4. The last time that I checked, GMAC charged a $595 acquisition fee on every vehicle that it leases. If I recall correctly, for some reason this fee is actually around $100 more than this in certain states including Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Virginia. Individual dealers do not have the authority to waive this charge, but lessees can often roll it into their vehicle's capitalized cost to make it part of their monthly payment if they don't want to pay it at lease signing.

As far as the interest rates that are used to calculate leases go, banks like GMAC publish a list of base rates for the vehicles that they lease. GMAC's current base lease rate for the 2008 GMC Acadia is 8.0%. Dealers can not charge less than this rate, but they are often allowed to mark it up to add additional, hidden profit to deals. This is why it is important to make sure that the dealer you work with uses your vehicle's base rate to calculate your lease payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi baseballmom97. Are you saying that you were able to get the dealer that you are working with to lease you the Acadia that you are interested in at dealer invoice minus the cash incentives? The lease rate looks good, so if you are getting this truck at invoice it is an excellent deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings yankee26. I would be happy to calculate a sample lease payment on the Acadia that you are interested in for you, but in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with the full MSRP and approximate selling price of the exact model that you want.

I see that you are considering making a $2,000 down payment on your lease. I always advise consumers not to make down payments on leases. Those who do risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. Even though it means that your monthly payment will be a little higher, you would be much better off going with a zero down lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi starrman1. Wow that must be a loaded Acadia to get the MSRP all the way up to $46,465. I don't know what this truck's exact dealer invoice price is, but I suspect that it has a margin of around $3,700 between its MSRP and invoice price. If one adds the $500 loyalty cash that General Motors is currently providing on this model (I'm not surprised that this cannot bee stacked with the conquest cash) to that they arrive at a total of around $4,200 to play with. You are being given a discount of over $6,000 on this truck. That is an amazing price. The 8.0% lease rate that you were given is in line with GMAC's current base rate for this model. This looks like an outstanding deal to me.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Carman, thanks for the reply. As always, I appreciate your help and comments!

Yes, I bought the Acadia from a dealer in Ohio that sells every GMC, Pontiac and Buick at $49 over invoice plus they honor any incentives available so often you can buy under invoice. I think it is an excellent deal for a vehicle that is currently popular and the dealers in my area were offering $1000 over invoice in Oct. '07.

Of course, the did try to mark the lease rate up to 9% but when I said that I heard GMAC's current rate was 8%, the finance manger quickly agreed to honor it. I really doubt that they see many customers who actually know the rate. Then they said they just received new info on a 7.25% rate. My lease rate went from an original quote in October of $628 on a 36 month 12K mile lease to $568 on a 39 month 12K mile lease. I'm pretty happy about that.

Carman, another question: how does the average consumer find these lease rates without your help? Also, it is strange that I got a lower rate than 8% if that is the published rate that you have seen. It is difficult to get the true info from the dealers. Also, the lease rate appears nowhere on my paperwork so my rate still could have been slightly marked up.

Thanks again for all your help and advice!
    Starrman, that's weird that your payment is $521 and mine is $568 for the same lease time period -- 39 months 12K miles a year. Are you not including sales tax in your payment or are you in a no sales tax state or something?

FYI for others who are thinking of leasing GM vehicles. I was offered a $525 Lease Protection plan which I bought instead of doing the $550 Security deposit. The Lease Protection plan basically is like insurance that covers any damages up to $5000 -- door dings, scratches etc. It does not cover excess mileage. After getting hit with a big bill on my last leased vehicle, I know that I will have some small issues so it was worth it to me with 2 kids and all their carpooling buddies along with a garage that seems to be attracted to the side of my car! ;)
  • starrman1starrman1 Member Posts: 2
    No sales tax in my state (Oregon). Which is nice if you're buying a car, but crap if you'd like any state services.

The deal I got was advertised at $49 (for any GMC for that matter) over net invoice (invoice-advertising-holdback-rebates). The dealership wasn't that close to me (2 hours drive) so I asked my local dealerahip to meet it...and they did. :D
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    Looks like a very nice deal, but these trucks are still not leasing in a manner that i would consider a "jump on" situation. I know leasing gets very complicated, but this is a rule that always seems to work for me.

A great lease should be around 1% of the MSRP for a standard-type comparison. Naturally, the shorter the term and the fewer the miles, the lower the payment.

Volvo, for example, was running a lease program around here recently. On a $42k MSRP vehicle, the payment was $385 per month with $3k due at signing. Even with the $3k, you are still around 1%.

By next year, no doubt, these new GM vehicles will be leasing for around 1% of the MSRP and certainly 1.25%.

I know that there is a lot of talk about cap reductions, interest rates, lease factors, and residuals, but if you just follow the 1% rule, then none of that other stuff really matters. At the end of the day, all a leaser cares about is the payment anyway.
  • jacsdadjacsdad Member Posts: 2
    I'm hoping someone can figure out what I've messed up here...
    I'm using the Edmund's calculator to figure a lease payment, but can't get the same payment the dealer is quoting. Here are the details:
    MSRP 41,410
    Invoice 38,307
    My Price 38,895
    Conquest Rebate 500
    Down @ signing 2,311 for tax, fees etc (plus 1st month's payment)
    Residual 62%
    Money Factor 6.5% (they quote APR, not factor...not sure why it's not the 8% I've been seeing from other posts)
    Sales Tax (Nassau County NY) 8.625%

I plug this all in and get a 471.47 payment for 39 months.
    Dealer quotes it as $517/mo.

So what am I missing? And are those terms considered decent?
    Thanks....
  • richwhite34richwhite34 Member Posts: 6
    I am currently in the the Atlanta Market looking for an '08 Acadia SLT 4SB FWD. I want Carbon Black, Navigation, U3R Stereo, 7 Passenger Seating, and sun roof.

I was quoted MSRP of $41,130 and a sales price of $37,986 on a particular vehicle, but I believe the sales person only thought about outright sales vs. leasing on this quote. After calling back to the sales person and asking for a quote on a 39 mos, 15k miles/year lease, I got back a quote of $650 + tax/ month.

I need for you to please check my logic on the way I do math in constructing a lease deal.

MSRP * Residual (59%) = $24,266
    Sales Price - $24,266 = $13,720
    $13,720/ 39 = $351
    $351 * .08 (Interest) = $379
    $379 * .075 (tax) = $408/ month in lease payments.

Is it that simple, or am I totally off base in the calculations? I haven't seen a lease payment that low on this board so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    You don't pay interest on the payment..

You pay interest on the outstanding balance of the lease.. more or less, just like a car loan...

So, your balance starts with the selling price, and ends with the residual amount. Your average amount financed is the average of the selling price (or cap cost) and the residual.

(Cap cost + residual) / 2 = Average balance.
    Average balance X 8% interest = annual finance charge
    Annual finance charge / 12 = monthly finance charge

That equals about $250/mo..

Add that amount to $351 to get your monthly pre-tax payment.

That is a simplified way of looking at it.. the actual calculation is a little different, and will probably result in a slightly higher payment.

Regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• richwhite34richwhite34 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you very much for the lesson.....very helpful!!

So.....
    I now have come up with a payment of about $600.00/month for this vehicle applying .075 in monthly county taxes. Would this be a good deal in your opinion, or could I grind it down more? If I can squeeze more out of the deal which levers do I pull.....Cap Cost, Residual, Interest Rate???

I thank you all for your advice and opinions!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Sorry... I don't really have an opinion on the price.. Your fellow CarSpace members that are shopping for the same vehicle are a much better resource.

For actual prices paid, not just lease numbers, check out this discussion:

GMC Acadia Prices Paid and Buying Experience

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.