Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Scion Xb

Comments

• frozenguymnfrozenguymn Member Posts: 8
    haha if thats true, what a shameless plug!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yes, it is... and yes, it is!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    i think this is the problem...20k for a scion!

i like the xb, but the drop fuel economy kinda stinks, but i realize that there are things that counteract this.

Having said that, i wish it had a five speed auto.
    someone made a post that said the old xb (under new epa standards.) would in actuallity average around 24 25mpg i think?

I just looked up the numbers,

for a 2006 scion xb auto
    the new epa is:

26/31.

If the new xb is currently reflecting the new tests, than you will average 4mpg more in the city and 3 on the highway...i guess its a bigger deal for those who do a lot of city driving.
  • frozenguymnfrozenguymn Member Posts: 8
    They aren't $20k though.
    Manual MSRP: $16,230
    Auto MSRP: $17,180

Now if you add some stuff to it, you can make any car substantially more expensive than the MSRP...
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    And loaded it would be a shade over $19k.

It is a great value under $20k.

The TRD supercharger is $4300 (I know since I can sell them).

That's about a dollar a HP. Not a good value. But a nice profit center for 'Yota, since they will sell a few of those. ;)

Considering you are adding 600 lbs and 50 HP, a 3-4 MPG drop is actually a good job by Toyota, IMO.

DrFill
    The TRD supercharger is $4300 (I know since I can sell them).

That's about a dollar a HP. Not a good value. But a nice profit center for 'Yota, since they will sell a few of those.

huh? So you are saying the TRD supercharger adds around over four thousand horsepower? ;)

i like the idea of a souped up scion, and the tc/xa/xd will be good fits, but i never thought the xb was a good platform for stuff like this; if your all for show, fine, but the body shape just isn't aerodynamic at all. And the weight of the thing makes it even less desireable as a tuning project; i think its a great value, going by the initial msrp, and great to haul people and stuff, but not as a performance vehicle.
    for a car nearing 20k, optioned out or not, i want at least a five speed auto. (my car was a hair over 17 and i have a SIX speed auto w/tiptronic, so yes i've been spoiled.)
    Meant $100 per/HP. :blush:

I'm a driver, so I don't have those hunger pangs. It has the right kind of 5-speed. :)

DrFill
  • subjectivesubjective Member Posts: 62
    Yesterday I completed a one day test drive of 110 miles in a 08 Scion xb 5 speed manual and a 10 mile drive of the automatic. In combined driving of combined highway, secondary road and light stop and go, the trip computer showed an average mpg of 26.7. By measuring subtracted fuel from a start full tank I calculated 28.4 mph all much to my surprise. To me the 5 speed drove much more responsively than the automatic which to me had poorly spaced gear shifts. My 5 speed is due in today. We have owned an 05 for two years which we like but the 08 is an upgrade. This model transmits much less noise to the interior making it more pleasant on the highway. On the negative side the armrests are uncomfortable, the accelerator seems too high to me and on the manual coordination between the clutch and accelerator on shifts is a little rough. After driving mine for a while I will know more but I like it more than my 05 which for me is saying much.
  • natatacnatatac Member Posts: 17
    on the Scion website it doesn't offer a supercharger when you try to build it using a California zip. Don't know if it won't be offered here or just delayed. Does anybody know the cost or when it will be avalible?
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    Before the Scion Backstage event in Louisville, I heard some dealers being instructed on how to sell the TRD accessories. The supercharger is $3200 plus 6 hours of labor. It sounded like it was available for order now. It includes bigger fuel injectors and reprogramming the ECU, and the boost results in more efficient combustion than in the stock engine. When asked if the kit affected mileage, the answer was that if the car was driven exactly the same way as before, the mileage would be a little better. Of course, no one spends $4000 for a supercharger only to drive the same way as before.
  • midwestbob2000midwestbob2000 Member Posts: 5
    O.K. As I stated in my previous e-mail, I ordered my new Xb. Well it arrived in only 7 days. They apparently diverted one going to a different dealer that was for display but since I bought mine, they brought it in to my dealer. Also, there was another thread or earlier posting about the low trade-in someone had gotten for their old Xb. I dont know if it's my area of the country (Minnesota) or what, but I got a great trade-in value for my 2006 Xb. 32K miles, auto w/ cruise trade-in $11,000.00. Plus, 3 weeks ago my wife backed into it with our other car so they are are going to have to replace the front bumper skirt. great price I think - The dealer told me they can't keep the used Xb's in stock since gas is up to $3.26/gal here in Minnesota.

Now, I have driven my new 2008 Xb for three days and want to review the car if anyone cares.

I LOVE IT!!! The ride is SO much smoother in my opinion. power is great. quiter. sportier look. Handles great. It has the "security type key where the remote unlock is built right into the key. It has a lot of other "Toyata" type features. The one opion I bought was the Headrest DVD monitors for my kids (2 boys) Each headrest has it's own player so I wont hear them fight over which moive to watch like they do in my Trailerblazer!!! Also, the monitors are hooked up together so they can watch the same movie if they want!!! I have not come up with anything negative to say about the car at all except the mileage is worse than in my old Xb but I knew that would happen going in. I think this is an awesome car for the price!! Just my 2 cents ;)
    When asked if the kit affected mileage, the answer was that if the car was driven exactly the same way as before, the mileage would be a little better. Of course, no one spends $4000 for a supercharger only to drive the same way as before.

which is probably totally untrue. There is no way its going to be that way, larger fuel injectors mean more gas flow, regardless of if you are flooring it or not.

If you really want good performance, i really think you should look elsewhere; for scions, yeah maybe some rims and sideskirts to look cool, but they should be cruising vehicles; i don't agree with the performance side of it, but whatev. i cant imagine how dissapointed someone would be having a superchared xb that is still beaten by relativley less powerful, and lighter cars that are cheaper.
    The Scion instructor had no reason to be untruthful with an audience of dealer salespeople and mechanics. Larger fuel injectors do not mean more fuel flow unless the throttle demands it; they mean the capability for larger flow on demand. In normal driving at low throttle with no boost, the gas consumption has no reason to be greater than the un-supercharged engine.
    As for performance, the supercharged xB2 can make just over 200 HP which someone said is the same power to weight ratio as the 5.0L Mustang.
    The '06 I wouldn't have considered, but the new one has definitely been to Finishing School, and will probably be my next car around X-Mas.

DrFill
    yeah, he may have no need to be untruthful, but lets be honest; people installing a supercharger in a 3000lb square arent' really aiming for fuel economy are they? bigger fuel injectors usually does mean worse fuel economy, even at normal throttle input, simply because they allow more flow in general becasue they are bigger; thats physics for ya; even under light acceleration, more fuel is still going to be pushed through.

not to mention that a supercharger is a bit different than a turbo in that it excels in lower rpms. Sorry, but this in no way spells good fuel economy or at least UNCHANGED fuel economy from a non superd' xb. Regardless of what mr. scion says. The design approach to the new xb in general demonstrates a lack of interest in true frugality at least as far as gas is concerned, so i don't see why its hard for this philosphy to run into their general marketing of parts for the car.

the supercharged xB2 can make just over 200 HP which someone said is the same power to weight ratio as the 5.0L Mustang.

thanks, i really needed that today. :)
  • trialtrial Member Posts: 1
    After convincing my wife to finally take a look at the 06 xBox, and finally getting her to actually like the car (it does grow on you), the new 08's were on there way. They are different and a visual change, in some ways, but once you drive one you know they are still an xB. The interior is styled in a very similar manner, but feels much more dense, safe, and substantial. I have to admit, the original xB was a bumpy ride and had some bad wind and road noise. But mpg gave it an edge along with its unique look.

The new xB has impressed me. This is the first time I purchased a car immediately after a test drive. I have no complaints yet. If it hadn't impressed, I would have spent 15k on a used 06 with 20k miles. Gotta love the lack of depreciation.

First....great acceleration with the new engine. Very, Very quiet in town and even on the freeway. The back seat has lots of room for a 6 ft guy like me and the head room is only down a bit from the first model. Great storage and a substantial feel. Also...the side curtain and door airbags mean a much safer vehicle.

The back seat also has storage for books, etc underneath the seats. The kids will like that for their coloring books, etc. Great cup holders in the back seat area doors.

I recommend it....plus the look of the exterior grows on you. I really liked the old look, but this has its coolness...no doubt. But it is safer, still gets good mileage, has storage for hauling stuff, kids and adults. It will drive better on the highway and in winter driving.

I think I will be happy with it.
  • midwestbob2000midwestbob2000 Member Posts: 5
    I have had my new 2008 Xb (Automatic transmission) for 4 days now.

The computer is reading a MPG Average of 27.5!!!!!!

BETTER THAN I ASSUMED!!!!! :)

With my 2006 Xb auto I was calculating only 30 MPG but I drive fast and with the smaller 1.5 engine I was probably running too many RPMs to get better than 30MPG :confuse:
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,706
    You're probably right about the high RPMs hurting mileage. I had a VW GTI for 12 years, and got 25 mpg city/highway/no matter what. It, too, spun at high rpms on the highway.
  • andeetandeet Member Posts: 142
    Since the Supercharger is in the topic...I heard for the tC; it increases about 140 hp=300 hp @ stock 161 hp. But I also heard a Toyota tech must install and you must refill with 91 grade fuel. Also Toyota will not accept the supercharger on a new car loan. But you can always get it much cheaper at SparksToyota.com (a South Carolina Toyota dealer) for 2,950 of course no installation included. Automatic's can enjoy the supercharger as well but with special fit kit that is extra 50 bucks.

The TRD Sports Muffler sounds mighty fine with the Supercharger; you can find that out on youtube. I've been thinking about buying it for my '07 tC; my only conflict is I have an TRD Cold Air Intake and I'm worried if it's going to be a issue. I could always save up for that 3 grand.

Back to the '08 xB...I stopped by my dealership last Sunday to take peek at it. It's nice, more sporty, and price is nice for a base model. Only thing I didn't like is where the shifter is located at.

I still like my tC ;)
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Does anyone know if the new XB engine has a timing chain or a timing belt? The timing chain was a major influence on my 05 XB purchase. I would hope that Toyota didn't design the motor with more maintenance costs than the original.
    It adds 40 hp, not 140 hp.
  • andeetandeet Member Posts: 142
    Ah! I must be thinking about another Supercharger or a Turbo Kit. I've been studying through each one available for the tC lately. The most price one was 6,000-ish maybe that's the one I fixed up with. So many brands to chose from.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Not to worry - it's a chain. I'm on on my second 2.4L, and they are really a great and durable design. It's torquey, and pretty dang smooth. It's even got an offset crank center- I've only seen that in motorcycle engines before.

As used in my Highlander, it never ceases to amaze people that such a "small" engine can give the HL so much get-up-and go. The xB is 5-600 lbs less mass to move, so it'll be even quicker.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Thanks ecotrklvr,
    That is a relief. It amazes me that many makers still incorporate timing belts. Subaru for instance still uses one, and it's one of the reasons that I'm reluctant to buy one. Are there any negative drawbacks to the engine?
    The new Xb has almost the same torque-to-weight ration as the Mazda 3s sedan?

After driving it, I'd say it runs to sixty in about 8.0 seconds. Or around 1.5 seconds better than the '06. :surprise:

DrFill
  • mrharper68mrharper68 Member Posts: 14
    The Accord is only averaging 24 mpg 25 for the hybrid
    I own an 08 XB with the 5 speed.
    I am getting 24-25mpg in city driving.
    You need to keep in mind that is for the old EPA ratings.
    I think I paid $16.200 for my 5 speed 08 XB
    When you consider a Corolla is only a little cheaper and has horrible crash test ratings and whole lot less of everything. the XB is a bargain. Try getting a Honda Fit for the same price. Equip a Yaris like the XB is and see how much you pay.
    This has nothing to do with being California.
    The Supercharger is not an option on any Scion.
    The Supercharger is an after market part that can be purchased from the dealer or from TRD. The part cannot be financed with the car when you buy it.
    The price is about $3500-$3800 plus negotiated installation price.
    The Supercharger should be easily adapted to the 08 XB but TRD must go through the smog approval process to get the CARB exemption/approval
    i can get a base honda fit for 15400. And a sport for 400 bucks more than what you just quoted.
    wow really? guess we can expect the same fuel economy too.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I wasn't the only one thinking along those lines:

"Did Toyota miss the mark with the new 2008 Scion xB?"

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/05/did_toyota_miss_the_mark_with.html

Plumper and longer with no additional interior room, fuel economy DRAGGIN', a ride that has gone from fun to Camry-like, it think it done been AmURR-icanized! :-P

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I know the new one isn't as fun to drive (I had a 1st gen. GTI for 12 years, I know what light weight and small size can do for a car), but the old Xb was not an option with it's 1990s safety level and low power (what the use of seating for 4 adults if you can't deal with traffic?). No more room was needed (I know of no other car of any size that has the new Xb's headroom all around), but safety improvements and ride improvements were. And yes, that has put it in a different market segment.
  • bigfieromanbigfieroman Member Posts: 12
    That article doesn't say anything, it just parrots the TTAC review, quoting it several times. The writer does not really say, but it seems he just read the TTAC review and perhaps saw a 2008 on the road somewhere, it does not seem that he actually drove it.

He is also repeating the same BS numbers that the "Expert" the TTAC review said. It does NOT get 25% less fuel economy, no matter how you run the numbers. Combined cycle using the 2008 numbers (2006 xB manual converted to 2008 numbers) is 12% lower for the new car. Combined cycle using the 2006 numbers (2008 converted to old EPA standard) it gets 12.5% lower economy.

The TTAC reviewer is the ONLY one I have seen who tore up the xB, every other press review has been, AT WORST, mixed. If the TTAC reviewer really believes that the first generation was almost without fault, he truly is biased. I liked the first gen, but it had many faults.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The old: 30/34.

The new (in 2006 numbers): 24/30.

That means the '08 uses 18.5% MORE gas than the old. (using 32 and 27 as combined numbers, respectively). No, it's not an overwhelming difference, but it might be important to some buyers in an atmosphere of very high gas prices.

Especially since it is only a 4-cylinder engine, not ESPECIALLY fast even with the bump in size, and now has similar FE to models with a V-6.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Your 2006 numbers for the 2008 xB are wrong.

Use this calculator on the EPA site:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculator.html

Type in 25/31. You will get 22/28 for 2008 numbers, exactly what the 2008 xB received.

The numbers for the 2006 you quoted are for the automatic model; I was using the manual model which is 30/33 because that is what I shopped. The auto-to-auto combined mileage difference is 0.5 mpg greater, but the old auto was WAY slower than the new auto, a more dramatic difference accelleration than the manual-to-manual comparison (because the old manual was geared into the stratosphere, ~4500 RPM @ 80 mph IIRC).

I should let you guys know that I bought a 2008 Black Sand Pearl xB (manual) less than a week ago. I shopped the 2006 and 2008 very heavily, and universally liked the 2008 better except for the mileage. I borrowed the dealership's (used) 2006 manual for a day, and carefully measured the mileage during my 30 mile, 80% city commute, and got 31.8 mpg. I did the same drive in very similar conditions with my 2008 yesterday, and got 28.7 mpg. That is a 3.1 mpg/11% difference. Take it with a grain of salt of course, I was driving for mileage in both cars, but the difference would probably have been much greater if I had been leadfooting the cars, as the 2.4 is capable of accelerating much faster and using more fuel. Driving like I stole it would probably yield 25 in the 2006 and 18 in the 2008, if I had to guess.

Honestly, I would much rather have 32 mpg than 29, but the small tradeoff was certainly worth it to me considering the power increase, better ride, nicer interior, more features, etc etc etc that the 2008 offers.
  • rovertonroverton Member Posts: 20
    2008-White
    Just picked it on on Friday and too a 324 mile trip for a mpg of 30.1.
    This baby rides smooooth and without wind noise. Another reason for liking this is when hitting bumps on the road it is smooth compared to other vechiles driven.
    The only complaints are:
    - No arm rest for the passenger
    - For the driver, the left arm has no where to rest logically as the bottom of the window is to high and the area where the button are is too low. Otherwise this is a great buy.
    -The backseat room is great.
    ? rhovertonyahoo.com
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    How many rpms is a stick shift xB turning at 60 mph in top gear?

Thanks
    Here a review that seems to hit the good/bad points reasonably: New Xb Review
    ... The Supercharger is not an option on any Scion.
    The Supercharger is an after market part that can be purchased from the dealer or from TRD. The part cannot be financed with the car when you buy it.
    The price is about $3500-$3800 plus negotiated installation price.
    The Supercharger should be easily adapted to the 08 XB...

I attended a TRD presentation to dealers at a Scion Backstage event. The TRD supercharger kit with its intake system, fuel injectors and mods to the ECU is a dealer-installed option on the 2008 xB. The kit has a list price of $3,200 plus 6 hours of flat-rate dealer labor. In the purchase, anything is negotiable, I suppose. I don't know why it should not be financed.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    In this month's MT, FYI.

~alpha
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter would like to get consumer feedback on the redesigned Scion xB. You do not have to be an owner to respond. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than June 1, 2007 with your daytime contact information
    as the 2.4 is capable of accelerating much faster

not really, at least not with all that weight. Read the new inside line review. Barely half a second. Its amazing what torque makes people think!

I love edmunds editors. They will bash the civics dash but praise the totally out of line of sight xb's gauges. :blush:

A local dealer has a auto dark blue xb with nave and 16 inch alloys, and its going for 20k. Its been on the lot for 2 weeks so far. Mabye having an optioned out xb with bad fuel economy is not acceptable? At least with the old one, you could claim at least 30mpg possible.
    What do you mean it's barely half a second faster?

I think its important to compare apples to apples here. There was no way the previous 103 horse xB automatic could hit 60 in under 10 seconds, let alone 9.

If you're referring to the comment in the 'Second Opinion' here on edmudns, I believe that editor needs to check his facts, for the reason mentioned above.

~alpha
    was it in the second opinion portion? I though it was in the main article. Regardless, half a second isn't this huge amazing amount of time. But torque is good at fooling people and in the right instance can be quicker.
    The review was pretty good overall, but they made a few mistakes:

The 2008 xB has electric power steering, not hydraulic.

The reviewer completely failed to mention the majority of the mileage drop was due to new testing standards.

The previous gen had a very generous back seat; unless the reviewer was referring to width with three across.
    Perhaps I didn't do a good job explaining my comment, my apologies. I believe in the Second Opinion portion, the editor stated that the xB is only a half second quicker to 60 than its former self. However, the last xB tested by edmunds.com was a manual transmission version, and there in lies the mistake. (Additionally, it had the cold air intake kit, adding an estimated 10 ponies)

new xB: 8.6 seconds to 60 with automatic
    old xB: 9.0 seconds to 60 with manual transmission and cold air intake package

~alpha