Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Scion Xb

dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
Scion just announced the new Xb at Chicago.

Looks very interesting.

I do have two concerns though. What do they have against cruise control? It costs hardly anything to add, and is not a polorizing option like sunroof leather and some others - where people will not buy the vehicle if it is present. I can't imagine a car having cruise being a dealbreaker for anybody.

Second thing is the new engine. Yes more power is welcome, but I fear they took it too far. If it has the same engine and tranny it will use about as much fuel as a TC, which is more than a V-6 Accord or Camry on the highway. I hope they gear it like the Camry and not like the Tc. A 1.8 from the Corolla would have given a welcome power boost and would probably have increased mileage as well.

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Well - looks like one of my issues was taken care of. Cruise is now standard on the xB. I was worried because there was no mention of it in the initial press releases.

Now if the fuel economy/gearing is there it should work out.

Interesting how they switched the height and length in the specs - I guess everybody makes mistakes.

http://www.scion.com/nextgen/downloads/pdf/xb_featuresSpecs.pdf

Here is more info.

http://www.scion.com/nextgen/
  • killerpiecekillerpiece Member Posts: 56
    These exterior specs don't make sense...AT ALL! :confuse:
    Features and Specs PDF

Exterior Dimensions (mm):
    Overall Height: 167.3
    Overall Width: 69.3
    Overall Length: 63
    Wheelbase: 102.4

Maybe the height and length are switched and the measurements are supposed to be in." not mm! :P

Killerpiece :shades:
    "I notice that despite the long list of standard equipment (especially on the xB - look at all the safety gear that's standard), there's no cruise mentioned! Surely this will be a factory option this time around? What is it that Toyota thinks younger people hate so much about cruise control? And both of these engines come with available or standard cruise control in other Toyota models."

Look at the standard features and you will notice that cruise control is there! :)

I too like the xB interior! Hope they didn't lower those headroom specs... I LOVE the airy feeling! :blush:

• nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    anyone here thinks the 2.4 is an overkill?

I thought instead of giving us a 5 dr yaris, xB and xD (where is xP?) are two different flavors we'll be getting. The 1.8 is great since it should deliver great mileage and it's proven in corollas. But I'm not so sure about the 2.4.

I wonder if toyota's marketing research found that people who had bought xB like to have a big block in their mircrocars?

I hope toyota will offer the 1.2 diesel they stuff in their europe yaris. If there is anywhere in their lineup where a modern diesel engine would be welcomed, this is it.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The 2.4L can be very efficient when mated to an economy geared tranny. Reference the 3300lb Camry 5M with its very respectable rating of 24/34.

~alpha
  • cartagramcartagram Member Posts: 115
    I read that the new xB's engine is the same as that in the tC. Some also say that it's the same as in the Camry. I had thought the tC used the outgoing Celica's engine. So is the new xB using a Camry or Celica engine? Or are those two the same thing after all?
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    Actually it's the same engine and tranny from the Tc. The Tc is rated lower at 23/30. I would have much rather preferred the corolla engine in the new xB. Wonder why they sacrificed fuel economy this round?
    Yes - I would have also much preferred the Corolla 1.8 like the xD has. It would have still been much more powerfull than the old engine, and would get excellent mpg.

I just hope the car gets Camry gearing not Tc gearing.

To me the whole advantage of a car like this is to have all that room and excellent mpg. If it gets about the same mpg as a V-6 Camry, RAV 4 or a Subaru Outback with AWD, then what is the point?
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    So it does have cruise? Great. Surely they wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

I like the 2.4 in the B. Plenty of grunt when it's loaded with people and cargo. And for those who want better mpg, there's the 1.8 in the D. I like the changes.

I also like the new center mounted gauges. For me, the old B was too small with too small an engine and no cruise. Now it's something I'll consider.
  • podunk503podunk503 Member Posts: 45
    any idea when one could obtain a new 2008 xB? i emailed scion in hopes they could tell me. i'm escatic :) . i had a 2005 and really didn't care too much for it. got a civic. but willing to reconsider now! the console is awesome :shades: . oh and now comes with an armrest.
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    I like the 2.4 if the gearing is right, and the xD will be offered with the 1.8 for those who want an economy wagon.

The equipment level seems OK for the price (if cruise is finally included - but I didn't see it either). What seems to be missing is a factory power moonroof option, presumably to cut production costs, although it was available on the Matrix which the xD was supposed to be based on.

It's too bad, the xB would have been really awesome with a big factory "Skyroof" with all that flat metal. It would have made it seem like a real nice little "GT" well-equipped wagon, something missing from the competitive market.

I'm sure there are a lot of folks who would not agree with me, and think moonroofs are an unnecessary luxury on a vehicle in this price class, but I think they really improve the spaciousness, ventilation, and fun factor, and when the cost is amortized over the life of the car, it is a well-spent value.
    Here is a photo of the dash - you can actually see the cruise, so it looks like it will happen.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/02/08/2008-scion-xd-first-video-and-89-hi- - gh-res-images/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autoblog.com%2F2007%2F02%2F08%2Fchicago-auto- - -show-toyota-unveils-the-all-new-2008-scion-xd-w%2F&frame=true

Just checked the link and it is off a little - click on the Xb on the left and you will get to a ton of pictures.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    I wonder what the fuel tank capacity for the new XB is. I hope it's more than 11.9. Does anybody have any info on this?
    From certain angles, the new B has a look similar to the styles of the 30s. Especially in the thick D pillar and the chopped look. With a more retro front end, it could really play the part.

IOW, the B isn't retro or even attempting to be but I think the stylists accidentally caught the look.
  • mikusmikus Member Posts: 109
    Current xB looks nice, proportional and functional, it has the engine of just the right displacement (ok, I would not mind 1.8 Corolla's engine instead), and it already has the roomiest cabin. It is a perfect city car with credible highway capability.

This 2008 monster with huge engine, bad fuel economy and styling cues taken from the ugliest SUV ever -- I am talking about FJ cruiser -- is an ungainly and dysfunctional piece of crap. The only thing that Toyota have done properly with xB/xD is putting 1.8L engine on xD.
  • brucepadgettbrucepadgett Member Posts: 30
    The new xB has lost its "cute" factor, so to speak. No longer a headturner, it has joined the ranks. The Scion designers are apparently hoping to tap a different segment of the market, I suppose. It is an xB in name only.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Count me among the folks that do NOT think a moonroof would be out of place on this car just because it is low-priced.

As far as an all-glass roof like the tC has, things get a little hairy when you make a long, wide, and especially HIGH roof like the xB's all glass. Things can go tippy in a hurry. You can compensate by increasing the ground package, widening the track, etc etc, but really despite its microvan status the xB is still going to be a relatively small vehicle. If they make it huge to accomodate an all-glass roof, they kind of change the whole thing.

I so wish they would reconsider making the 2.4 the standard engine. If I had my wish, it would be optional with the 1.8 as standard. I guess there were just a few too many people on the web complaining about how slow the current xB is (and to be fair, many of the articles in the press said the same thing. I thought the power was fine, although it is certainly not a fast car - too much drag from that vertical grille and windshield).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

A 1.8 liter would have also been fine by me. It would have still been a significant upgrade.
    Different things appeal to different people. I like the new xB. Toyota fixed the things I didn't like about the current one...too small, too small an engine and no cruise. It was mostly a city car, not too good for the highway.

The new xB may lose some old customers but it will pick up lots of new ones.
  • sdrickesdricke Member Posts: 5
    xB. God, it just gives me chills down my spine every time I look at the '08. I bought an '05 xB, not really because I was paying much attention to the powertrain, or options for that matter, but because it was dirt cheap and looked absolutely awesome. I drove it for about a month, and realized--hey, this isn't all that great afterall. It handled very well, but here in the Ozarks (I live in Northwest Arkansas), its incredible lack of power really started to get on my nerves. Not only that, but in this area (I'm sure it's the same story elsewhere as well), the winds coming in and out of the mountains can be quite strong. When your driving a wall down the road, they can be quite an annoyance as well. I traded my '05 xB for an '05 Sentra based on these factors. However, it looks like '08 is going to be my year for the xB. It's got more guts, more options, much better looks, and hopefully, it's newly-found curves will help with the wind buffering issue. I really hope the price stays low, and I am definitely not worried about a 5 or 6 mpg decrease because of the new 2.4. I want some giddy-up. Nonetheless, as I see more and more pics of this thing, my most favorite detail is the deletion of that huge, off-proportion front bumper of the first-gen xB. It was just tacky. But the '08...oh the '08...it I LOVE.
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    The old xB and xA were closer in size and shared the same engine. Even though they looked vastly different, they weren't that different in terms of product. Now, the xD (xA part 2) is slightly wider and has a decent motor. It only makes sense that Toyota enlarged the xB to further differentiate it from the xD.

As for the motor, yeah, I wouldn't mind having the fuel economy and reasonable performance from the 1.8 engine. However, the 2.4 is fine. If I care THAT much about fuel economy, I could just buy an xD or next generation Matrix/Corolla wagon. As for the economy of the xB, if I could get around 30 on the highway and 23-24 in the city, I'd be just fine with that compromise considering the added space and supposed performance.

As for looks, the old xB was a beauty in the eyes of the beholder. I liked it, but let's face it they're boxes. My first priorities are reliability, space, simplicity and low price (probably not far from others). If Toyota can deliver on these promises, I don't care that much about styling. Quirky and ugly are fine, just not Aztek ugly.

If Toyota can keep the price within $1,000 of the old xB, they'll sell every one can make in no time at all.
    OH NO!!!!

You just used the dreaded "A" word :surprise:

Aztek!!!!!!! :cry:

:P

• la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    I agree with you entirely. If your sole criteria is the style or look of the car (fashion) you are not likely to be happy with the car for other reasons, or keep it very long anyway, so why debate all the details? It seems for so many folks the styling is really important, an ultimate factor in the whole experience.

Personally, the styling is way down on my list... Utility, performance/handling, fun, reliability/durability, cost of ownership, special features... these are all attributes that are much more important to me than the "look". Perhaps then, the image the xB portrays is that of fun utility, and not meant to be especially fashionable (who cares as long as it doesn't look like three cars sat on top of each other like an Aztek ;) )?
  • sduff68sduff68 Member Posts: 52
    I really like the improved feature content of the 2008 Scion XB. The new styling reminds me of a mini 2007 Chevy Tahoe; especially from the rear/side view.

I really like my 2005 Scion XB for the following reasons:

Great handling, interior room, rear seat room, ABS, traction control, stability control, unique styling, cavernous cargo space with the rear seats down.

However after driving it a while I realized that I missed cruise control, trip computer, exterior temperature, and the car also lacked storage space with the rear seats up. The vehicle also lacked passing power on the highway.

The new XB has addressed all those issues; and most important my wife likes it, so she might let me trade in the 05 to get an 08.

I just hope they keep the pricing in the same price range. I am also concerned about the gas mileage...I can only hope that they tuned down the 2.4 liter to get the same gas mileage as the 1.5 liter, while still taking advantage of the increased torque and power from the larger engine.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    There is no way the 2.4L is going to return the same fuel efficiency as the 1.5L. However, I think its reasonable to expect a dip in overall MPG of about 2 or so, which wouldn't be too bad.

~alpha
    If they gear it properly, there is no reason it can't get just under camry hwy mpg (more drag) and about the same city. That would put it at 24/33 w/ current EPA procedures. I would accept that. If it gets Tc mpg, then I probably won't consider it.
    is it gets tC mpg. Look at RAV4 - same engine, heck, might be the same powertrain to save costs. I bet the xB couldn't do much better mpg with the same goods - it has less weight but worse aerodynamics.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

But you can get a stick shift on the xB and not on the RAV4, so auto mpg may be close, but manual will be better with the xB.
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "... I can only hope that they tuned down the 2.4 liter to get the same gas mileage as the 1.5 liter, while still taking advantage of the increased torque and power from the larger engine."
    After all, there is no reason that 2.4L and 158 HP should not get the same MPG as 1.5L and 103 HP ;-)
    "After all, there is no reason that 2.4L and 158 HP should not get the same MPG as 1.5L and 103 HP"

Very true. The Accord with a 166hp 2.4 gets EPA 24/34 while the Aveo with 103 hp 1.6 liter also gets EPA 24/34. Both with automatics. ;)
    "But you can get a stick shift on the xB and not on the RAV4, so auto mpg may be close, but manual will be better with the xB."

Of course, right now the manual in the xB actually does WORSE than the auto for fuel economy. Same is true in the tC. So there are no guarantees...

;-)

Yeah they are are gearing stick shifts way to low these days. Kind of silly. Why should the stick turn 3000 at 60 when the auto is 2300.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    The Element is due for a refresh for 2008. It will be interesting to see what Honda has in store for us.

My personal view is that the Scion Xb if priced right will be a grand slam home run.

The festure content and utility is amazing for what you pay.

I would think that the new 2008 Xb will also attract a broader demographic including the baby boomers because of the increase in size.
  • makana1makana1 Member Posts: 4
    I own an '05 xB and love it as a commuter, but the noise and the lack of power, cruise, and curtain airbags keep me from making it our main family car. The new '08 seems to address all of these shortcomings.

I looked through this string but didn't find anything on pricing...has anyone heard anything official on pricing?

D
    My bet is $2000 more than the current model. This would put it head to head (actually slightly below) the Element. And would still make it LESS than the tC, and relatively affordable at around $16,5.

My personal view is that the Scion Xb if priced right will be a grand slam home run.
    ------------------------------------

I agree. The Xb is now on my radar because of the increases in size and power. It's a viable alternative to the Element now. In fact, it's a viable alternative to all the small crossovers if you're not interested in AWD. If it's priced under 18k it will be a smash hit.

My wife calls the current Xb a clown car. :) Now it's a real car but still unique.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Based on price increases for other new body styles for Toyota I am hoping that the price increase is less than $1000.00. As a matter of fact I will bet you a dollar that the price increase is less than the aforementioned amount.

There is an article in one of the new Auto Mags showing the new Nissan Cube which according to the article will be imported to the US. It is very similar to the 2008 Xb.

Love the competition.
  • milehrmilehr Member Posts: 2
    I agree with you. Toyota responded to the chorus of idiots, singing "I want this, I want that!” who skipped the part "And want it all for the same money!" Otherwise, they would have gone and bought another model. I own 2006 XB, and enjoy it immensely for what it is. Trust me, I can afford much more expensive car, but every time I look at the current XB, my heart leaps with joy. And similar reaction I get from the other people, who also did a research and knew what they were buying (or would have liked to buy). Toyota had to make those appearance changes for 2008 XB, because with the bigger engine and size, the shape must be more aerodynamic, to retain decent fuel economy. However, by doing that, they lost unique franchise and moved the car into another category, where the competition is much greater. Am I glad that bought my XB in its last year of existence?
  • schreftbschreftb Member Posts: 7
    I read all kind of stuff about the Xb, but no one addresses the prime reason I am interested.

If my research is right, it has more driver head and leg room than any other car on the market.

Any comments? Write me @schreftb@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Bernie
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi Bernie,
    Since this is a message board format, members will respond to your questions here instead of by e-mail. Keeping the conversation public benefits all of our members. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hll7575hll7575 Member Posts: 13
    I will be looking for a new family vehicle within the next 12 months. So far, I have narrowed down to Honda's CR-V and Fit. With the CR-V, I would consider just the 2wd/LX model with the needed ABS, decent gas mileage, etc. With the Fit, I am primarily looking for super gas mileage and functional interior, but still with ABS. There is roughly $5,000 difference between CR-V and Fit.

Now with the 2008 xB, it looks pretty darn good in all the functional and safety features. Even its gas mileage is similar to CR-V's, I am very sure that its price will be right in the middle between Fit and CR-V. If so, I will be inclined to choose the 2008 xB over either Fit or CR-V.
  • milehrmilehr Member Posts: 2
    Lol, Bernie.
    Lincoln Navigator has more driver head and leg room, and so do many other models. Read the numbers :-)
    m.
  • 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    where did you see the head and leg room numbers for the 2008 xb to compare with the lincoln navigator?
  • mrvfrmrvfr Member Posts: 6
    The 08 XB dimensions are now very close to the Element and power/engine is in the same ballpark so unless the price jumps dramatically it should be a strong competitor to the Element except where AWD is desired. For me - even living in Minn. I feel AWD is way oversold and FWD is all one needs 99+ % of the time esp. if you have winter wheels/tires. Would expect the TC supercharger will fit too - that'd be a fun vehicle.
  • mrvfrmrvfr Member Posts: 6
    Checking Scion "future vehicle" here on Edmunds and doing some addition, I get XB vs element: width 69.5 vs 71.5, length 167 vs 169, WB 102 vs. 101 . Both have 2.4L motors - It'll be interesting to see and compare prices. Anyone know when the 08 XB will hit showrooms? June +/- 1 month would be my guess.
    Isn't the Element taller as well.
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    i believe it hits showrooms in april. that is what they did with the fj cruiser also. gives them a longer year to sell them.
  • schreftbschreftb Member Posts: 7
    I found a big magazine on the newstands called Car & Truck...(something) that shows specs (from mfr.) on every car made. Think it is a monthly or quarterly.

I thought I checked every car's specs for driver leg and headroom because I am 6'3" and 280 lbs. Scion seemed to lead the pack!

Even if I missed the Lincoln Navigator, the XB certainly stands out.

My question is can I believe the numbers re 2008?
  • robt2robt2 Member Posts: 5
    What about the specs that really matter? Interior dimensions, for example. The original xB had more headroom than the ELement, and extremely generous leg room in the back as well (besides holding one more person). Anyone know how head and leg room in the new xB has compares? In any case, it's got the Element beat in many ways, including more seats and better mileage. Don't your back seat passengers want doors they can open (without assistance from the front) and windows that roll down?
  • l310ccl310cc Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard about the release date and MPG? I think the gas mileage might
    be the one factor that will keep me from buying it and the price. I can live with the
    price if under 17000, but if it gets the same or worse mileage than the tc it will be off my list.
    Too bad because the standard equipment is the best on any car under 20,000. :confuse: